• Published 1st Nov 2021
  • 450 Views, 2 Comments

Rainbow Rescue! - Rixizu



Trixie with her friends Minty, Rainbow Dash, Razzaroo, and Pinkie Pie rush after the evil Princess Corona after she steals the rainbows from the land.

  • ...
1
 2
 450

Chapter 5

Trixie jerked up and screamed as she toppled out of her bed. A jolt of pain shot through her spine, but Trixie barely noticed, having more important matters.

“Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Spike, Razzaroo, Minty!” Trixie’s head darted around, but only found her room. It was messy as ever, with random equipment from her magic acts scattered everywhere. Hadn’t Rainbow Dash always teased her about her messiness?

“I have to find them! I need to find them!” Trixie jerked up, desperate to reunite with her friends.

“Oh, you’re finally awake now.” A blue unicorn peeked into her room. “It’s almost two. Isn’t this a bit lazy even for you?”

It took a moment, but Trixie placed this stallion’s name. “Pokey?”

Pokey eyed his boss’s dilapidated state with amusement, noting the tears in her eyes. “I popped my head in earlier, you were tossing and turning the entire time. Were you having another nightmare? Was it the one about the ducks?”

“It doesn’t matter!” Trixie ignored her assistant’s jabs and grabbed her trademark cape. “I need to find my friends!”

“Without even taking a bath first?” Pokey said, scandalized. “Or lunch? Are you okay? You aren’t acting yourself.”

Pokey’s words barely registered as Trixie barreled out her front door towards Ponyville Square. “I need to find my friends!”

After some diligent searching, Trixie finally found a familiar face. In her postmare outfit, she was putting some letters into a mailbox and waved as Trixie approached.

“Rainbow Dash! Thank Luna, you’re okay!”

The mare blinked, unsure she’d heard her friend right. “That’s a new one. No, I’m Ditzy, remember?”

“Huh? Are you sure?” That couldn’t be right.

“Yes, Trixie. That’s Rainbow Dash over there.” The walleyed mare pointed towards a sporty-looking mare with a messy rainbow-colored mane.

Trixie gasped, aghast. “That can’t be right! She has no style at all!”

“What’s with you, Trixie?” Rainbow Dash snorted, both amused and insulted. “Who do you think I am, Rarity? What’s with you? You need your eyes checked!” Much to Trixie’s astonishment, the mare took to the air with her wings after flicking a dismissive tail towards Trixie.

“She’s a pegasus?! I’d thought they were just a legend!” Trixie said, eyes wide.

“Trixie, I’m a pegasus too.” Trixie gapped as Ditzy extended gray wings from her back. “Are you okay? You aren’t acting like yourself.”

“I suppose not.” Trixie used a nearby bench to stabilize herself. Of course Ditzy was a pegasus, but it still seemed so wrong somehow.

“How about we go get a cupcake? You look like you need one!” Ditzy took Trixie’s hoof, guiding her towards a sweet shop.

“But what about your shift?” Trixie’s ears drooped.

“It can wait. A friend is more important.”

“Pinkie Pie! You are Pinkie Pie, right?” Trixie said as their waiter approached their table.

“Yippers! Last time I checked. Which is often.” Pinkie Pie bent forward, whispering with a conspiratorial air. “You never know when you might awake as somepony else! Or vice versa! It happens more than you’d think! Mostly on Fridays. May I get your order?”

“Just two blueberry muffins, please,” Ditzy replied, rolling her eyes.

Trixie blinked, unsure she’d understood half of the words spilling from the pink mare’s mouth. She hesitated, fearful of what answer she might receive. “Are we still friends, Pinkie?”

“Of course, Trixie!” Pinkie replied without hesitation. “Always and forever!”

“That’s good.” Trixie sighed in relief. While odder and more energetic than she’d remembered, it comforted Trixie that some things hadn’t changed. Pinkie Pie took their order and left.

“How about you tell me what’s wrong?” Ditzy studied Trixie’s features with concern. “Have you been crying?”

“I don’t know anymore.” Trixie slumped onto the table. “It’s hard to tell what’s real.”

“Just tell me when you’re ready.” Ditzy extended a comforting hoof. She brightened when she spotted a familiar face walking through the street. “Raindrops, over here! We have an emergency!”

“Raindrops?” Trixie blinked and peered at the jasmine mare approaching them. The bell dinged when she entered the bakery. “Don’t you mean Razzaroo?”

“Find a seat. I’ll be with you shortly!” Pinkie Pie yelled from a far room.

“Razzaroo?” Raindrops parroted, brow furrowed, fluttering her wings in consternation, startling Trixie. How common were pegasi in Ponyville? “What’s going on? Did Trixie hit her head?”

“She’s a little confused. So, I thought you, the truth master, might help set her straight!” Ditzy replied.

“I’ll do what I can.” Raindrop studied Trixie and blanched when she noticed how disheveled her friend was. Quite unlike the usually prim and proper student of Princess Luna, theoretically anyway. Bourbon usually changed that description.

Trixie coughed, trying to organize her thoughts in an orderly manner. After some consideration, she began her story. “It all began in the magical land of Ponyland. A rather spectacular and glamorous pony named Trixie Lulamoon woke from her bed, and to her horror, realized she’d forgotten it was a very special day.”

---

“Damn that Corona! Is there no depth she won’t sink?” Pinkie Pie said, fuming in rage, huffing out a frustrated breath. No, Trixie shook her head, not Pinkie Pie, Lyra. Her fellow unicorn had entered the conversation halfway, curious about her friend’s oddly serious expressions. “As if foalnapping wasn’t bad enough. She had to be behind this too! Evil picture books. It’s hard to believe.”

Raindrops gave a solemn nod. “It seems possible. How long were you stuck in that nightmare, you think?”

“I’d rather not think about it.” Trixie flinched, those terrible endless days repeating in her brain. With her waking mind, they had become clearer, making it seem like she’d lived several lifetimes. Was she even the same Trixie anymore? Despite her forced attempt at bravado, she felt fake, unreal.

“Wait a minute!” Lyra stood up, beaming as an idea struck her. “It was only a dream, right? So the memories should fade? In a few days, they shouldn’t be a problem.”

“I don’t want them to fade,” Trixie replied, her voice tight. Fake or not, there were memories she planned to cherish for the remainder of her days.

Before Lyra opened her mouth, Ditzy interrupted her, sensing an argument might start. “It’s understandable. We’ll just need to help her along until this Ponyville becomes home again!”

“Right. I have some scrapbooks at home she can have.” Raindrops said. “They have many memories and pictures I’ve collected since we’ve become friends. My mother's a photographer. I probably got the habit from her. It should help, right?”

“That’s so cute!” Ditzy gave the enormous, burly mare a playful elbow in the chest. “You’re such a softy, Raindrops!” The other mare didn’t reply, but her cheeks reddened in embarrassment.

“I know!” Lyra stood up, almost knocking over her chair. “Music connects with the mind, right? Be right back!”

“Pinkie Pie?” Trixie said, surprised, as her friend darted towards the door.

“Lyra! I have a plan. Raindrops isn’t the only pony with mementos! I’ll play you every song I’ve created since returning to Ponyville! You helped me write them! Sort of. Well, you gave me unhelpful critiques, but it should help return some memories, right?”

“I guess,” Trixie replied, baffled.

“She’s such a sweet dear too.” Ditzy sighed to herself. “I’m afraid my plan wasn’t as good. A tour of Ponyville seems lame in comparison. Nevermind, I’ll make sure Carrot Top and Cheerilee are caught up to speed. They might have some ideas.”

“Guys, I…” Was this what the other Pinkie Pie meant when she said Trixie had ponies back home who cared about her? Dang, it. Was she crying again? Her mood darkened again when a pony she’d almost forgotten about returned to her thoughts.

“I’m more worried about Minty,” Trixie said, her mood gloomy. “I hope she’s okay. She was real in the dream too.”

“Minty?” Ditzy frowned, her brow creased in consternation. “That sounds familiar.”

“Minty, huh? I know a pony by that name!” Pinkie Pie said.

“Pinkie, could you not eavesdrop on a pony’s conversation?” Ditzy said, slightly annoyed. She’d been hovering around their table the entire time, enraptured by Trixie’s story.

“Where?” Trixie jerked awake, eyes hopeful.

“At the Ponyville hospital. She’s very sick.” Pinkie replied.

“I have to go see her!” Trixie said, meaning every word. This was just what her dream friends had advised her about!

“Wait!” Ditzy said, throwing some bits onto their table and chasing after her friend. Raindrops only sighed and plotted behind.

---

“It’s kind of you to visit Ms. Lulamoon.” Nurse Redheart said as they wandered through the Ponyville hospital. The sharp scent of antiseptic struck Trixie’s nostrils. “She doesn’t get nearly enough visitors. And I can tell she’ll be ecstatic to see you!”

“Anything for a fan.” Trixie’s words caught in her throat, her heart was beating a million miles an hour. This was it.

They entered a small room. Laying on a bed with pure white sheets was a mint green filly. Her head was shaved completely bald, her face gaunt and sickly. In her tiny hooves she held a green safety blanket.

“Minty, you have a visitor.” The nurse said, her voice gentle.

“Trixie, you came!” While ecstatic, her voice was weak, barely above a whisper.

“I’m so glad you came! My daughter’s a huge fan!” A burly stallion approached and shook Trixie’s hoof. He was a purple stallion with a bright green mane. On his flank were two candy canes crossed together.

Trixie’s eyes wandered around the room. Across the floor were toys scattered everywhere, but what caught her attention were the childlike pictures on the pinboard. They showed Trixie and Minty on various adventures. One depicted the pair crossing a scary forest. While another showed them hiking over a mighty mountain towards a distant castle. The last had them holding hooves beneath an expansive rainbow.

“Oh, those.” Minty’s father rubbed the back of his neck. “Sorry about that. I like to tell her stories. I sort of add you to most of them. You’re her hero.”

“Me?” Trixie said, surprised.

Minty’s father gave an enthused nod. “Of course, you saved my daughter from Corona. She was one of the foals the mad alicorn kidnapped after escaping the sun. I owe you my eternal gratitude for saving her.”

Peering closer, Minty looked familiar. Yes, Minty was there back when Trixie first met her friends, a tiny presence amongst many other terrified ponies.

“She still has nightmares about it.” Minty’s father gave a tired sigh.

“I’m so happy you came to visit.” Minty blinked back tears. “I was scared you might hate me.”

Trixie pulled a chair next to her best fan and placed a comforting hoof on her tiny hoof. “I could never hate you. We’re friends, remember? I have other ponies I’d like you to meet. They’re dear friends.”

“Really?” Minty pulled her blanket over her head, overcome with a sudden bout of shyness.

“It’s okay, Minty. They’re a friend too.” Minty’s father sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “She’s very shy. Being in hospitals so much makes it difficult to befriend ponies.”

“I think I might help with that.” It was time to fulfill Razzaroo’s final wish. “Come in Ditzy. You too Raindrops”

“Uh, hi!” Ditzy said, poking her head, bursting into a bold, wide grin upon seeing the bedridden filly. “I’m Ditzy Doo, it’s nice to meet you! I have a daughter that’s your age. I should bring her along next time. You’ll be great friends!”

“Uh, hi!” Raindrops gave a self-conscious wave. “My brother is about your age. I’m sure you’d get along. He’s name is Snails!” The mare flinched, embarrassed she couldn’t match Ditzy’s enthusiasm and eloquence.

“R-really?” Minty said, poking her head out to see the newcomers.

“And my daughter’s name is Dinky.” Ditzy replied, sitting next to the sick filly, placing a comforting hoof on Minty’s small hoof. “It’s terrible you need to stay in bed all day? How about I get you decorations? It’d spruce the place up a bit!”

“Um, rainbows would be nice. I love rainbows! And green!” Minty said.

“Yeah, that would be fantastic!” Minty’s father walked up to Ditzy and shook her hoof. “You’re the postmare, right? I won’t mind having your daughter visit. Just don’t tire her out, alright? Minty’s still recovering from her treatments.” He shook Raindrops’s hoof next, who awkwardly introduced herself. The three adults began chatting, leaving Trixie alone to speak with Minty.

“I’d almost thought it was a dream,” Minty said, head low. “It’s all very confusing. If Corona comes for real, will you scare her away like before?”

“Promise.” Trixie crossed her heart. “That jerk doesn’t stand a chance. I’ll protect you and the other ponies in the hospital. Enough of that. Tell me more about yourself. What are your favorite things to do?”

Minty brightened, enthusiastically grabbing a doll from the end of her bed. It was a periwinkle earth pony mare with a multicolored mane. “This is Razzaroo! She’s my best friend. She has other friends too!”

From her pile of toys, she withdrew a pink teddy bear. “This is Pinkie Pie! She shares the name of the pony who gave it to me. She’s very nice and visits sometimes!” She withdrew another toy, a stuffed white cat with a stylish rainbow mane. “This is Rainbow Dash. She shares the name of the pretty mare that flies by sometimes!”

Trixie picked a dinosaur toy from the pile. “And this is Spike?” The T. rex matched the dragon’s distinctive color scheme. Minty gave an enthusiastic nod of confirmation.

“Yeah, we go on adventures together,” Minty said.

“Huh.” Trixie circled the doll around in her hooves until they stared face-to-face. “What?” She jerked in surprise and fumbled with Razzaroo, almost dropping her.

“What’s wrong?” Minty asked.

“Nothing!” Trixie gave a nervous laugh. Had the doll just winked at her? Nah, it had only been her imagination. Must be! Minty’s childish, overactive imagination was just being infectious!

Out a window, she spotted a foal with a broken leg playing outside with her mother and a terrific thought struck Trixie, and she mentally slapped herself. Why hadn’t she thought of it sooner? It’d been a terrible disappointment she hadn’t the chance to perform one at the First Rainbow Celebration. Better yet, it would help Minty and plans already formed in Trixie’s head. “Nurse Redheart, can you gather all the foals you can?”

“Sure, why?” The nurse replied, tilting her head.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie is about to perform her most spectacular show yet!” Trixie kicked her hooves in the air, cape fluttering dramatically behind her.

“Really?” Minty clapped her hooves, eyes widening in delight.

“That’s a great idea! I’m sure the foals will love it!” Nurse Redheart darted from the room.

“A magic show, but you don’t have any of your equipment,” Ditzy said, baffled. “Do you have anything planned?”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie is never caught unprepared! Defeat an Ursa Major? Turn straw into gold? Sunder aside the evil and malevolent Corona? The Great and Powerful Trixie mystical might is beyond compare!”

“Wow.” Minty’s eyes sparkled, mesmerized by Trixie’s heroism.

“Okay, Trixie. I only hope Twilight Sparkle doesn’t hear those boasts!” Ditzy rolled her eyes, but couldn’t resist a smile.

“I can help prepare the stage.” Raindrops flew off to gather supplies. It didn’t take her long to return with beams of lumber slung over her back, unbothered by their tremendous weight. Redheart hefted a toolkit over, and her friend began work to fashion them into a suitable stage for Trixie’s show.

“Oh my, what’s happening here?” A purple unicorn said, poking her head into the hospital’s cafeteria.

“Minty, er…” Trixie trailed off, trying to remember her friend’s name. “Cheerilee, right?”

“Yes.” Cheerilee gave a hesitant nod of agreement, giving Trixie’s friends a questioning glance. “Raindrops was vague about what the hoo-ha was about. Something about Trixie needing a manticore? What is she planning now?”

“It’s a long story,” Lyra said before gesturing to a box of rainbow-colored banners. Slung across her back was her trademark harp. “Anyway, help with these decorations.”

“Trixie’s doing a show.” Ditzy’s helpfully clarified.

“Oh, so that’s what you’re up to.” Cheerilee grabbed a banner and, with nimble hooves, hung it from a light fixture.


An equally curious Spike, no, Carrot Top, joined them and helped Trixie with the finishing touches on her stage's backdrop, a blue sheet illuminated by a shining rainbow. While somewhat slapdash and disappointingly lacking intrained manticores, her hospital foals seemed enthused by the hubbub. She beamed with pride as she spotted Minty shyly making conversation with another filly with a broken leg. Another filly joined them, and they were getting along famously. Minty wouldn’t be as lonely as she first feared.

It brought a pang of sadness to Trixie’s heart. Minty was a filly and needed friends her own age. Trixie couldn’t live in her world, but she could accept that if it meant her friend was happy.

A few more magic shows should be the perfect excuse to help Minty meet other ponies. You know, maybe I should make these hospital appearances a common occurrence. Already, her imagination sparkled to life, performing greater and more dazzling tricks. Pokey would complain about the constant absences from her office. But never fear, her assistant could manage the workload during her shows. Trixie beamed as she spotted her friends in the background, giving their support.

She blinked, had she seen her dream friends standing behind them? No, it was just the real Pinkie Pie. In her hoof was a foam hand that had “Trixie #1” printed across it. Still, had it just been a trick of the light? Somehow, Razzaroo and the others hadn’t vanished from her life as she feared, still ever present in her heart. It brought a small tear down her cheek.

Get it together, Trixie! You have a show to perform!

Trixie’s horn glowed with magenta energy, and rainbow fireworks caught her captive audience’s attention. In the background, Lyra played an impressively bombastic track to accompany her words. “Welcome fillies and gentlecolts to the greatest show on earth! I, the Great and Powerful Trixie, will perform feats of magic beyond pony imagination! Be dazzled as she performs deeds that put her in league with the likes of Starswirl the Bearded and Mage Meadowbrook!”

In league with the likes of Starswirl the Bearded and Mage Meadowbrook? Come on, Trixie. You can do better than that! These foals are expecting a show!

Trixie coughed, clearing her throat. “Now, Trixie will speak of a tale that will frighten and amaze! Be warned, this isn’t for the faint of heart. If anypony doesn’t have the courage to listen, they should leave now!” She paused for dramatic effect, making everypony glued to their seats in eager anticipation for Trixie’s next words.

“Trixie will begin her first tale, telling of the time she single hoofedly subdued an Ursa Major!” She smiled as Minty stood close to her new friends, both scared and intrigued. Her horn glowed with magic as she began her story, forming the pictures with her great and formidable magic.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment