• Published 19th Mar 2021
  • 469 Views, 9 Comments

The Mare Under The Sea - Colbbie



All I wanted was a getaway from life in Cloudsdale to a nice remote beach town off the coast of Fillydelphia. But instead, I got the adventure of a lifetime in the most unexpected place with the most unexpected friend in the land down under.

  • ...
1
 9
 469

Chapter-1 Awakening?

Wet… pain… sore… wait... what?!

My eyes snapped open the moment I realized I wasn’t dead. I wanted to instantly take a breath but my surroundings stopped me from doing so. I was underwater. The sand, bubbles, and seaweed all reinforce this thought. I quickly began to desperately swim in the only logical direction, up. Strangely, I wasn’t out of breath, but I didn’t think much of it. All I could think of was the need to get my head above the water.

I moved my forelegs as quickly as I could. My hind legs felt numb, but that didn’t matter. I was getting closer and closer to the surface. My lack of breathing quickly started to catch up to me as my legs got tired and my thoughts began to dull. I was so close, only a dozen feet away from the surface.

I was so close, I couldn’t get this close and not survive! I pushed through the water with all my might, my last drops of energy left me when finally, I breached the surface and inhaled.

Only, rather than having my lungs being gracefully filled with air, I instantly choked. Pain spread through my chest and caused me to fall back under the water. I closed my eyes and gasped out of instinct. But rather than choking on water, it felt like I just took a breath. The feeling of oxygen returning to my body made me inhale deeply, and it worked. My current situation left my mind completely as I floated there panting, my oxygen-deprived mind wanting nothing but more of that precious air.

Finally, after floating there for a few minutes panting, I started to regain my thoughts. The first thing I did was open my eyes expecting to see the surface of the water, only there was no surface. This surprised me a bit, but a quick look at where I was surprised me even more. I wasn’t gently floating on the surface of the water, I was under it.

This scared me greatly, I thought I was just going to drown. But as I just floated there, my mind quickly comprehends the fact that I was very obviously breathing underwater. I waved my arm around which was met with some resistance. I began a swimming motion and began to move. This was all I needed for my mind to agree with my senses and finally come to the realization that I was alive yet underwater.

I just floated there, having no idea what to make of the situation. My mind simultaneously filling with questions. How am I alive? How am I breathing underwater? Where am I? And dozens more continued to fly through my mind, unable to be answered.

“Hello? Where did you go? Mister land pony?” Came a distant voice seemingly from directly under me.

This snapped me out of my mind and back to the real world. I no longer cared about the fact that I was underwater. Somepony must be near, somepony who may know what happened to me. The fact that I was hearing someone’s voice from underwater eluded me at the moment.

“Hello?” I shouted back.

“Hello! There you are!” That same voice responded, growing closer and closer.

I looked down and instantly froze. What looked like a pony was swimming upwards in my direction at a very fast speed wearing a big smile which just so happened to reveal rows of very pointy-looking teeth. I instantly realized that was no pony and regretted my decision. I immediately bolted in the opposite direction as quickly as I could without a second thought.

“Hello!? Please don’t swim away! I just want to help you!” Shouted the voice a moment later, still getting closer.

“Please don’t eat me!” I shouted back, the environment around me flying past as I continued to push myself as hard as I could. All I could think about at the moment was how I was going to ripped to shreds by whatever creature was chasing me.

My mind raced as I myself raced through the water. What the heck did I just do? I asked myself while continuing to try and getaway. I went through flowing seaweed, through coral tubes, and around rocks but no matter what I did, the creature seemed to only be a few steps behind me and gaining.

“I don’t want to eat you!” Came the creature’s response as I swam through another hole in a rock narrowly avoiding hitting it head-on.

“You’re lying!” I screamed back before nearly running into yet another massive boulder. I also realized at that moment how heavily I was breathing which greatly worried me.

“No, I’m not!” The creature shouted seemingly from right behind me “I just saved you! Why would I want to hurt you? We haven’t had a land pony in hundreds of years!”

At this point, I was completely exhausted. I was never a good swimmer, to begin with, and the creature's very obvious superiority in the water crushed my hopes of out ru- swimming it. I knew I wasn’t getting out of this alive. The creature’s previous words went in one ear and right out the other because at that point I just decided to let it happen and just stopped swimming, ready to accept my fate.

“WOAH!” Was all I heard before I was slammed into by something heavy and thrown downward.

I landed back first onto the ocean floor. Though something on my back seemed to stop my back about a couple of inches above the ground and subsequently send a jolt of pain through something I had never felt before. I ignored this, however, as the only thought currently on my mind was my life. Everything I had ever done, my family, my friends, my dreams. All of which began to run through my mind along with the fact that I just basically gave up and didn’t try harder.

“Are you alright?” A quiet voice asked.

My eyes immediately snapped onto the source of the voice only half a dozen feet above me. It looked like a pony, only it was missing its hind legs and with a tail similar to that of a dolphin in its place. It didn’t have any fur, rather it had shiny, pale brown skin which got lighter the closer it got to its stomach. It also had a fin on its back along with some sharp-looking teeth pointed right at me causing me to instinctively take scoot back a little.

“I umm… didn’t mean to scare you....” The creature timidly responded, keeping its distance.

“Just get it over with…” I responded, confused as to why it seemed unsure. I was easy prey, ripe for the taking.

“Umm… get what over with?” Responded the voice I now recognized as female.

“You’re going to eat me! What else would you do!?” I screamed back just wanting her to stop playing with me and get it over with.

“I would never do that to a poor land pony like you! You’re a shark pony now too, noshark could hurt you without getting into trouble!”

This statement made my mind freeze. What did she just say… I asked myself over and over again hoping desperately that my senses did me wrong.

“W-What did you just s-say?” I hesitantly asked, now afraid for a whole different reason.

“Well I umm, had to turn you into a shark pony like me to save you… I hope it’s alright, you were in trouble after all.”

My face paled as I got the answer I was dreading. My mind continued to reject this, however, even despite the fact that I was literally breathing underwater. What if she’s just trying to play me? I thought, then realized I could find the answer myself.

With dread, I slowly tilted my head down, dreading what was possible to some, and after what felt like hours of staling, I finally took a deep breath, looked down, and screamed.

“What did you do to me!?” I shouted, staring wide-eyed at where my hind legs used to be.

“I saved you...” She responded seemingly scared “I didn’t hurt you did I?”

“Hurt me! I-I’m- my-” I was nearly about to shout at her, but then I remembered what I was shouting at and took a moment to rethink my situation a little more carefully. I was alive and according to this creature, it was because of her. Second, I’m different, not really hurt in any physical way, so I guess I should be thanking her. Yet at the same time, she transformed me into some creature I’ve never seen nor heard of before. But yet again, is there really anything wrong with being turned into whatever I was? Oh yea, I can't go on land anymore!

“Umm… did I hurt you mister land pony?” She asked while waving an arm in front of my face which snapped me out of my conflicting thoughts.

“I’m sorry,” I responded with my head down “I just don’t really like having things dropped on me like this. I thought I, umm... died, but now I’m… whatever you are... “ My true emotions began flooding back into my mind as the adrenaline from the previous situation was now for the most part gone. I began to see that things weren’t that bad yet at the same time they were absolutely horrible. I was angry and yet sad at the same time. I honestly had no idea what to really make of it.

“Oh it’s alright, I understand.” She said in a comforting voice “I know what it’s like to have your life changed.” she chuckled “Imagine losing everything you love…” She suddenly took on a much more somber tone, causing me to look up at her a little surprised “but that’s in the past, and right now I need to help you, you’re not in the best shape.”

Hearing this, I took a closer look at myself and saw that she was indeed right. My own rubbery-looking skin was littered with small cuts and bruises most likely from whatever she did to transform me along with our little chase. Also, with my mind finally having almost fully caught up to the real world, I was reminded of my bodily needs and feelings, especially pain.

“If you want to go back to my village I can probably patch you up and give you some food.”

“Alright… thanks.” I finally said after some conflict in my mind. While I had no idea if I could trust her, what else could I really do? Plus, if she is the one who turned me into whatever I am now she must also be able to turn me back. “But,” I spoke up “you have to tell me how you found me and what you did to me, deal?”

“Ok, I’ll do that, but we have to get you fixed up first!” She said in a tone that left no room for argument.

“Oh, and my name’s Vibrant Glow by the way.” I said, holding out a hoof hoping she knows what it means.

“Your name is weird, mine’s Sharp Nibble.” She said with a little giggle, before bumping hooves to my relief.

That name worried me a little, but I tried to ignore it. She wasn’t nibbling on me at the moment so that was a plus.

“Alright, that’s your opinion but whatever.” I said with a small chuckle “I’ll just follow you if you want to go back to wherever you live.” I said as I flipped my self-right side up.

“Alright, it’s not too far this way.” She pointed straight before she started swimming.

As I tried to move, I began to question how I was able to swim away from her that fast and with such agility only a couple of minutes ago. I could just paddle with my arms but that was really slow and made me go up. I looked up to see her using her tail like that of a fish. I decided to try that, but all I did was end up shaking my rear end and not moving.

At this point, she seemed to have taken notice of my struggling form and came back to assist.

“Umm, don’t you know how to swim? You were doing it earlier.” She said as she swam up next to me.

“I don’t really know how I did that, I just kinda did.” I responded, continuing to shake my butt but not my tail.

“Oh ok, well you don’t just shake,” she said showing me what I was doing “you move your tail back and forth like you move your arm back and forth.” She then demonstrated and proceeded to start moving forward.

I began to pretend that my tail was like, well, my tail and tried to move it like I would my normal tail.

“There you go! Now you just gotta go faster!” She encouraged me as I began to get the hang of swimming with a new tail.

“Wow, I guess I’m doing it.” I said, surprised at how quickly I was able to learn to use a new appendage. “I can go pretty fast, but how do I stop?” I quickly asked, a rock now set right in my path quickly growing closer.

“You have to-” The sound of me crashing into a boulder cut her off, causing her to rush over to a groaning self. “Are you alright? I really do need to show you how to do a few other things…

“Yes, you do.” I said with a groan, rubbing my head.

After about half an hour of swimming lessons, I could move like a pro. Well, a pro that’s really bad. I could move up, down, left, right, forward, and backward! How impressive of me. Anyway, now that I could move to some degree again we began our journey to wherever it was she lived. I also gave her the nickname Nibble which she seemed to enjoy.

As we swam next to each other at a moderate pace, I used this time to think about how my life may never be the same. I could be stuck like this for all I know. I was definitely hoping that whatever she did to me could be reversed, but hoping usually seems to do the opposite for me most of the time.

Instead of falling down the rabbit hole of my own thoughts, I chose to take a look around the completely new environment I was submerged in. It was different, to put it bluntly. Moving felt weird, especially since I could just float off if I wasn’t careful. I also wondered if this is what it felt like to be a pegasus a couple of times. But the big thing that caught my attention was the beauty of the situation. The sun was still just over the horizon and sent rays of sunlight through the water perfectly illuminating the environment amazingly. The creatures, plants, even the rocks all looked so pretty. I had never seen anything like it for myself and immediately wanted to draw something. Then I remembered paper and water don’t mix along with the fact I don’t have any of my stuff which caused me to sigh a little.

“Is something wrong?” Nibble asked from beside me.

“No, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? You seem a little sad.” She asked again

“No, it was nothing. I’m alright.” I said trying to not sound as depressed as I was about my recent revelation. This seemed to be enough though as she looked away and didn’t ask again.

We continued on for a little while longer, the vegetation I began to notice was beginning to grow thinner and thinner. I assumed this meant we must be getting closer to wherever Nibble lived.

“We’re almost there, it’s just over this hill.” She said only a moment later, confirming my suspicions.

We continued on just over the sandy hill and I was quickly met with the view of what a village of shark ponies looked like.

Nibble quickly swam in front of me and with wide arms exclaimed, “Welcome to the village of Amity!”

Author's Note:

Where have I heard the name Amity before...

Comments ( 4 )

10742797
it feel like your making fun of me now

10742816
Sorry if it came off like that.

....
Will he ever turn back into a Land Pony?
Because he’s a Shark Pony know.
I’ll guess I have to what for the next chapter.

Awe...
She’s so cute!

Login or register to comment