• Published 8th Jan 2021
  • 668 Views, 14 Comments

Three Seasons - shakealchemist



Rainbow Dash and Rarity's relationship goes further back than most ponies know, but just how close did they use to be?

  • ...
4
 14
 668

Meant For Each Other?

"The Ponyville cafe and I got whatever I wanted. You know how to treat a lady. Quite the move up from the usual." Rarity commented cheerfully as she trotted alongside Rainbow. Part of her was very curious as to where their next stop was.

"Yeah, well, I did extra work around the house and saved up for today. I knew you wouldn't accept on having hayburgers for today. Speaking of which, should we be making a secondary stop before our next stop?"

Rarity shook her head puzzled as to what she meant by that.

"Cool, because check it out." Dash pointed out with her wing to Sugarcube Corner. A banner hung across the front of it read, 'Sugarcube Corner's first ever annual, one time only, Hearts and Hooves' day dance.' All those words plus the colorful hearts made for one cramped banner.

Rarity inheld sharply. They're hosting a dance?! Why didn't Pinkie tell me?!" She couldn't believe it. She wasn't mad at Pinkie, rather she was excited Rainbow and she would get their dance.

"Let's go." Dash smirked and tried to lead the way once more but Rarity ended up doing so in her enthusiasm. Inside they found quite a few couples milling about, enjoying different sweets.

"Pinkie! Why didn't you tell me about this? . . . What is 'annual one time only'?" Rarity asked as she went straight to her friend at the counter.

"Oh, well when I told the Cakes about it, they said we'd try it out and if it did well enough we'll do it again next year." Pinkie explained as she readied an order and placed it in front of Rarity right as she finished speaking. "There you go."

"Rainbow?" Rarity looked over her shoulder at her.

"I ordered in advance." Dash said with a cheeky smile.

"Assorted chocolates and . . ." Pinkie told her as she opened the smaller of the two boxes.

"Bon-bons?" At seeing this, it earned another turn back from Rarity.

"I remember things." Dash nodded with an air of cockiness.

"You are just so sweet." Rarity gave her a hug and kiss before turning back to Pinkie. "So when does the dance start?"

"Well, now it can since you are here. Rainbow told me during planning that you two should have the first dance." Pinkie used her tail to start a record player.

'Planning?' "Rainbow . . . was all this your idea?" Rarity asked connecting the now obvious dots.

"Guilty as charged. Pretty awesome, right?" Rainbow asked, offering her a hoof to start the dance. While she had been expecting a close dance, she hadn't expected Rarity to bury her face into her chest in an embrace. She was taken aback for a moment until she heard a muffled sob. "aw, come on now Rares . . . I get that I am the best, but- oof." Dash was stroking Rarity's mane soothingly when she got a sharp jab to the side.

"Shut up." Rarity laughed, pulling away and wiping her tears away. "You are making me ruin my make-up."

"So about that dance, we can still be first." Dash reoffered her hoof.

Rarity smiled and accepted it this time. She quickly found herself swept up by Rainbow's moves. "Oh my. Dashie, how have you not taken me dancing sooner? You're so good." She said pleasantly surprised.

"Thanks, but I only just recently learned how to. At least like this. Now if there's a club here in Ponyville . . ."

"Not that I know of, but if I hear anything I'll let you know." Rarity answered amused.

***

Rainbow Dash and Rarity were all giggles as they walked away from Sugarcube Corner.

"Thank you so much for tonight Dashie. This has been the best Hearts and Hooves day ever." Rarity nuzzled Rainbow who was carrying her bag of sweets for her.

"That's because your date is the best . . . second only to you of course."

"Nice save. You're always quick with those."

"I try. Say, before we head back, do we need to make another stop somewhere?" Dash asked pausing.

". . . As much as I'd like this date to never end, we should head home. Seeing the time, we don't want to be late for dinner. And honestly, I can't wait to talk to your parents more. They really seem lovely. Your mother seems to know her fashion, so between us there is hope for you yet." Rarity teased.

"Ha ha." Dash laughed sarcastically.

"Looking trendy and beautiful is no joke. Just you wait, I'll teach you a thing or two." Rarity told her, her trot turning into a strut.

There was a short silence as Dash hovered along in her wake. "What did you do on your other Hearts and Hooves dates?" Dash spoke up.

"Huh? Well, the usual things." Rarity answered, wondering why Dash would ask such a question.

"Flowers and chocolate?"

"And dinner or lunch. Come on now Dashie, you don't want to hear about past dates of mine."

"I mean, just want to know how much better ours was by comparison." Dash made up an excuse.

"By far. Trust me when I say it's not even close. I'm not saying all the others were bad. I've always had the pick of the bunch when it comes to dates. Though you probably beat the colts off with a stick yourself . . ." Rarity quickly added.

". . . Yeah." Dash took forever to reply, not realizing Rarity was waiting for one. From the look she received in response, Dash figured her tone hadn't quite sold her response.

"This one date that had been pretty bad was this one handsome, athletic pegasus colt."

"Like me?" Dash couldn't help asking.

"Heavens no. Those three things are the only things you two have in common. I can't believe I had been into him. He was so full of himself and rude. Everything had to be about him."

'Why does it sound like she could be talking about me?' Dash worried.

"He was so dense. The only date I could say was as bad as that one was this young colt. He had been so sweet at first. He took me to this play that was in town and it had been lovely. This would've been the second-best date, behind only ours. It had been his and my first date, but at the end of the date, he felt like he was entitled to a kiss. He was so insistent about it, it creeped me out. Needless to say, there was no kiss or second date."

"What about me? Do I get a kiss?" Dash asked looping over in flight and coming to a stop right in front of her.

Rarity shook her head in humored disbelief at her joke yet gave her a short little kiss anyway. "So how about you? What was your worst Hearts and Hooves date?" Rarity asked, trotting onwards.

'Great. Now, do I tell her the truth that I've never been on a Hearts and Hooves date, which is why I asked about her past ones, or tell her about the closest experience to a date I had?' Dash didn't want to leave her waiting for an answer again so she made her choice quickly. "There was this one colt at flight camp. I thought he was cute and he knew it." Dash came to a stop and her pause made Rarity halt as well and turn back.

Rarity was taken aback by how lost in a flashback Dash appeared to be.

"He asked me out and had it all planned out. Talked me into buying my own flowers and paying for lunch and then had me confess my feelings in front of his friends."

"Dashie . . ."

"Then he laughed and told everypony how gullible I had been on the date and how stupid I was for thinking he liked me."

"That's horrible!" Rarity exclaimed in disbelief at how a pony could be so awful.

"It's fine Rares-"

"No, it's not! Rainbow, you are smart, kind, and beautiful. He's just- just a . . ."

"Rarity, I mean it's fine as in this was a while ago and it doesn't bother me anymore . . . Thank you though." Dash smiled.

"Oh . . . No problem darling." Rarity blushed at her overreaction. "I love you."

"I love you too."

***

"That sounds like a lovely time. Did you both have fun?" Cookie asked after Dash and Rarity had filled them in on how the afternoon went at dinner.

"A blast!" Dash said cheerfully and Rarity nodded in agreement.

"So what did Rarity get you?" Bowhot asked interested.

"Now honey, she doesn't have to tell us." Windy said to help cover if they didn't want to say.

"Rarity hasn't given me anything yet. She's been doing such a great job keeping me on my hooftips. I'm honestly so excited to see what it is. Knowing Rarity, it's going to be awesome." Dash smiled and looked at Rarity lovingly.

To Rarity, it felt more burning though, as if both their parents were staring at her expectingly as reality set in. 'Rainbow Dash is a mare . . . and like any mare on Hearts and Hooves day, she's expecting to be treated like royalty and be showered with gifts and love. That's up to me. That's why she kept asking if we needed to make any stops. She thought I had a surprise planned, something planned. She did so much for me and I completely forgot her. I got to think of something quick.' "I'll be right back." Rarity said unknowingly interrupting the ongoing conversation as she excused herself and made a beeline for her room.

Rainbow looked at everypony else and saw that Hondo and Cookie knew something was up as well as she did. "I'll go check on her. Should only take a second." She excused herself and followed after her calmly. "Hey, Rarity . . ." Rainbow said through her door and knocked, seeing that it was closed.

"Just a minute darling!" Rarity sang from inside, followed by muffled shuffling.

"Rarity . . . I know you didn't get me anything."

"What?! No!"

"It's cool Rarity. I-" Dash shook her head and opened the door, trotting in before continuing. "I'm not mad or anything . . . What is that?" Dash couldn't help asking, pointing to the little pink ribbon tied around Rarity's neck. "Were you going to give yourself to me as a gift?"

Dash's question made Rarity's white cheeks blush furiously red. "N-no. I mean when you say it aloud like that . . . I was thinking I could preen you." Rarity fumbled with her words flustered.

"You mean like page forty-two?" Dash perked up excitedly.

"Wha . . .?" RArity trailed off puzzled.

"How To Preen Your Coltfriend?" Dash hinted.

Rarity thought for a second longer before making a face. "No! . . . I mean it's not like I wouldn't- or don't want-" Rarity stomped a hoof, upset over how flustered she was. "Both of our parents are here, if they walked in on us doing that, I would just die." She said hushed.

"You were never a risk taker. No fun . . ." Dash teased with a snicker before deflating at the realization. "So just a regular preening?"

"Well . . . yes. Is that not okay?" Rarity asked not seeing a problem.

"It's fine . . . just not very special or romantic." Dash voiced her disappointment.

"Oh? Well, I can make it somewhat special and romantic . . . and certainly memorable." Rarity said suggestively.

". . . Alright, but let's head back and finish dinner before the search party arrives."

***

"There . . . did I miss any other spots?" Rarity asked in a seductive voice, a hoof gently brushing the feathers she'd touched upon by request. She kissed the nape of Dash's neck before nibbling on her ear playfully.

"-uh . . . best Hearts and Hooves day ever." Dash moaned, fully enjoying the treatment as she was laid out on Rarity's bed.

"Good. Now, I'm going to change and get ready for bed." Rarity got up and picked up Dash's dress, which she'd already removed for her while preening her, and trotted over to her closet to take off her own dress.

Dash stayed laid as she was, relaxing as she watched Rarity undress for a little bit before speaking up. "Hey, Rarity?"

"Yes?"

"There's something I've been meaning to ask you. It's been on my since our date and dinner . . . most all day really. You know how my parents thought we were engaged?" Dash asked, sitting up.

"Yes, that was quite silly of them>" Rarity giggled a bit as she hung the dresses up. She moved over to her dresser and started to remove her makeup.

". . . Was it though?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean . . . it's not that silly to think that we're engaged. We've been dating awhile and we get along so well . . ." Dash shuffled a bit as she thought of a better way to put it. "What would you say if I proposed to you right now? What would your answer be?"

Rarity froze, going wide-eyed. 'Why is she bringing this up? Does she want to get married? Is she going to propose if I say yes?'

"It's not like I'm asking right now, but if I were . . ." Dash added.

'See? I'm overthinking it. Or is she just saying that? I have to say something, I can't leave her hanging.' Thinking quickly, Rarity made her choice. "No . . . I would say no." Looking in the mirror Rarity watched Rainbow deflate at her words.

"Oh . . .Why?" Dash asked dejectedly.

". . . Well, you don't have a ring, do you?"

"No." Dash answered with disappointed understanding.

"And it would have to be a nice ring. Something worthy for me, what you believe I deserve."

"That would be a pretty expensive ring."

"Which brings me to my next point. We still need to focus on our careers." 'It'll take her a long time to save up the bits for a ring.' Rarity thought relieved to have the pressure off her.

"What . . . what if I don't become a Wonderbolt?" Dash forced herself to ask the question she feared.

"Don't be silly Dashie, you'll be a Wonderbolt." Rarity smiled amused.

"But what if I don't . . . for whatever reason."

Rarity turned, looking concerned. "Dashie . . . is something going on?" She asked trotting over as she slipped on a silk nightgown.

"No . . . I just wanted to know . . . stupid questions I guess." Dash explained, clearly upset.

'Good job Rarity. You forgot your marefriend on Hearts and Hooves day and then you make it up to her and then immediately go and ruin it again.' Rarity scolded herself, feeling awful. She tried to think of a way to lift Dash's spirits once more. "Well, we could be engaged to be engaged." She suggested, taking a seat next to her.

"You mean that?" Dash looked to her excitedly, then questioningly. "Is that even a thing?"

"Sure, it'll be our thing. And when the time comes we can actually be engaged."

"That sounds . . . awesome!" Dash put a hoof around her and squeezed her. "Ha. How do you expect me to sleep now when we just took a huge step in our relationship? I knew this week was going to be the best ever!" She kissed Rarity's cheek and jumped back before settling in under the sheets.

'Huge?' Rarity thought stunned. 'It's not huge. It's just sentimental.' The relief she'd gotten from ridding the engagement worries was gone. 'Why does she want to move things forward so bad?' Lost in thought, Rarity slid back and under the covers more slowly. Dash snuggled up against her as soon as she was settled as well.

***

"Rarity, wake up!"

The sound of her name jolted her awake. Sitting up straight, she saw the sun shining through her window.

"Morning sleepy head! Get up, breakfast is ready! I didn't want to wake you sooner cause I figured you had as much trouble falling asleep as I did. Just so excited!" Dash fluttered from the room, leaving Rarity to freshen up as she saw fit.

Her words had rung true to Rarity, only for her it wasn't excitement that had kept her awake, but dread. 'How can she be so ready for marriage? So certain?' As much as she was fretting over it, she knew she had no time to do so as everypony was waiting on her. She quickly brushed her bed mane away and sprayed on some perfume before scampering downstairs and joining Dash and her own awaiting parents. Dash's parents had left last night. RArity dug right into her waffles, hoping no pony would ask, let alone think, anything was wrong. It must not have worked, as when she looked up to her parents they were both looking at her questioningly. She turned her gaze to Dash and realized it was because of her.

Rainbow was bouncing in her seat looking super gleeful. "Should I tell them?"


"Uh . . ." Rarity tried to think of a reason to keep her quiet. Part of her hoped it was not about the engagement so she could stay silent as she drew a blank on excuses anyway.

"We're engaged!" Dash jumped up and hovered in the air. She hugged Rarity from behind and nuzzled her.

"To be engaged." Rarity added quickly.

"Engaged . . . to be engaged." Cookie repeated puzzled.

"Congratulations." Hondo put on a smile. "When did you . . . decide that? Last night?" He asked.

Dash nodded her head against Rarity's cheek. "We haven't talked about it yet, but I'm hoping we'll be married by this time next year."

RArity stiffened at her words.

"Oh really? Are you going to help her with the planning?" Cookie brightened, thinking she was coming to understand this better.

"It all seems more like Rarity's thing. Not that I'd leave her hanging on it. Any help she wants, I'll provide." Dash answered and kissed Rarity's cheek.

"So, you're just waiting on a ring then?" Cookie asked to see if she had everything straight.

"Yeah. Just you wait, it's going to be the most spectacular ring you've ever seen." Rainbow bragged, unable to see Rarity's growing discomfort.

Her parents could see it tough, and Rarity could see they knew. So she cleared her throat. "Let's finish eating so we can talk about it Dashie."

The rest of the meal was awkward for Rarity and joyous for Rainbow. Once they were done eating, Rarity sent Dash to wait in her room, telling her that she was going to help her mother with the dishes.

"So . . . What's going on?" Cookie asked in a hushed tone as she washed.

"Ugh, so after completely forgetting to get Dashie anything yesterday, and her being such a sweetheart by forgiving me, she started asking about us being married and . . . it was so out of nowhere. I told her I wouldn't marry her. In hindsight, of course, that upset her, but I mean-!" Rarity stopped herself when her voice raised so she could go back to speaking softly. "I don't know if I really want to marry her. I love her and we talk about it occasionally, but I don't think we're that serious and since then our relationship has had its ups and downs. Marriage is the furthest thing from my mind right now." Rarity explained as she dried and stacked dishes. `

"And this engaged to be engaged thing?"

"I had to do something to cheer her up. I thought she was going to cry. After what she had told me earlier about a previous date and my excuses for rejecting her hypothetical proposal doing nothing, I came up with what I thought was a cute harmless thing for us and she treats it like the next big step in our relationship. I'm at a loss as to what to do."

"Well, it sounds rather obvious. You always wanted Dashie to be more straightforward with you. And if you're worried about hurting her, keeping the truth from her is only setting her up for a bigger fall. you better tell her before she goes and buys a ring." Cookie told her, finishing with her dishes.

"I know. I only-"


"Rarity! There's somepony at the door for you!" Her father's call interrupted her.

Curious as to who it could be, she left the conversation at that, and a couple of dishes behind, and went to the door.

"Rarity! How are you doing?" A pegasus mare greeted her with a hug.

"Moonshine, what brings you here? I'm doing fine, how are you?" She returned the hug to her long-time commissioner and friend.

"I'm doing great! I had the best day yesterday. You know what Yellow Jacket did? . . . He proposed!" Moonshine announced elated.

"He did?! No. Don't your parents hate him? What did you say?"

"Yes! Yes! Oh, it's such a relief to finally tell somepony. It's true, my parents will probably never accept us being together, but I truly love him so. Another reason I just had to tell you first is because we're eloping."

"Oh my." Rarity was surprised her friend was taking such a bold action.

"And I want you to make the dress." Moonshine pointed a wingtip at Rarity, who was too left in a speechless stupor to be honored by such a task. "I don't really have any clear design in mind, so I'm leaving that open to you. I know whatever you make will be fabulous. The only thing I'm concerned about is getting married, the sooner the better. Oh dear, pardon me. I didn't mean to sound as if I were rushing you. You have plenty of time. We still have planning to do and other things to get done. So no worries on your end . . ." Moonshine kicked a hoof at the ground guiltily as she bit her lip for a moment. "You will still hurry with this, please? I've never asked anything unfair of you before, we've always had an easy time finding fair agreements. It doesn't change how awful I am to request such a thing. I'll do anything to make it up to you. Bits won't be a problem, I'll pay you-" Moonshine held her tongue at Rarity shaking her head.

"Moonshine, please . . . You are right. All of our past dealings have been very straightforward. So I will get started on your gown right away and charge you no extra fee for the rush job. You have enough to focus on for your big day. Allow me to ease your burden a little so you can enjoy yourself, and Yellow Jacket." Rarity said with a smile.

"Oh thank you so much Rarity! I can't possibly thank you enough! If you need help with anything at all, you let me know." Moonshine hugged her with an appreciative nuzzle.

"Don't worry about it, darling. I'll try my best to have it done in a week. You're more than welcome to stop by whenever to check on my progress and how it looks."

"A week?! Rarity, you are a miracle worker. I'll see you later today or tomorrow. I have a couple more friends to see. Catch you then, bye!" Moonshine waved goodbye and hurried away.

"Bye!" Rarity headed back inside and up to her room. She found Dash sitting surprisingly properly on her bed, she was staring downward as if reading something. 'I swear if she got into my diary . . .' Trotting up to her angrily, she was stunned to find her looking through her sketchbook. The very thing she was after to get started on Moonshine's dress. "Rainbow!" Rarity used her magic to snatch her sketchbook away from her. "Honestly, how many times do I have to tell you to stop going through my things?! At this point it makes me believe you do it just to tick me off." Rarity spun away and took a seat at her dresser and started flipping through her sketchbook.

"It's not my fault you hide so much good stuff in here. Looking through that, I couldn't tell the difference between it and a fashion magazine." Dash complimented as she hopped off of the bed and followed in her wake.

"That means a lot coming from a pony who's never opened a fashion magazine." Rarity shot back sarcastically as she scanned the pages.

"Ouch, touchie! Why the attitude?"

"Because you keep going through my things against my wishes and knowing how much I hate that!"

"I'm sorry . . . I didn't mess with any of the pages." Dash added to her apology, figuring that's why she was searching through the book.

"Good. Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to get to." Rarity levitated a quill as she found the pare she was looking for. She had sketched out some wedding dresses before for fun, so she decided going back there and adjusting them into something fitting for Moonshine was a good place to start.

"Aw, come on Rares. I said sorry. No need to be like that. I didn't mean any harm by it."

"This has nothing to do with your behavior. In fact, it has to do with some rather exciting news. You ready to hear it?" Rarity turned to face her, lifting her mood.

"Sure." Dash smiled happy to see she was no longer mad.

"I got a job making a friend a wedding dress!" Rarity squealed. "My first one and I have a week to do it. It'll be a lot of-"

"A week?! Rarity, it's supposed to be our week together. Are you really going to spend it on a dress instead?" Rainbow asked shocked.

"Rainbow, it's not like we were going to spend every second together anyway. And this isn't any dress, it's a wedding dress. Plus it's not like you have to leave, you can watch or chat. I'm not going to be working on this all day. I'll take breaks." Rarity listed her counters, upset Dash wasn't happy for her. She turned back to her book and picked up her quill once more. She started drawing out her improvements. She only got so far when a continuing breeze kept blowing on her quill and, more annoyingly, the paper. She glanced back and saw Rainbow hovering right behind her. "Do you mind?"

"Sorry." Dash landed.

Rarity tried to carry on where she had left off but she couldn't shake the feeling of Dash watching her right over her shoulder. "A little space please?"

"Right."

She heard Dash fly back to her bed and for the next minute or so, noisily settle down. Rarity sighed and got back to work.

"What are some things you like about me?" Dash interrupted her.

Rarity thought for a moment before responding. "Didn't we have this conversation already?"

". . . Oops. Yeah, we did."

Rarity could hear Dash's embarrassment.

"What are some things you don't like about yourself?"

"Excuse me?!" Rarity spun around.

"I'm just curious!" Dash put her hooves up innocently to gesture that she meant to harm. "Here, I'll start with things I don't like about myself." She offered, thinking fast. 'Stargazer has to be messing with me trying to get me to ask Rarity that. I did it, so I might as well see it through.' "Let's see, uh . . . I act without thinking and . . . I can be pretty bad at communicating with others . . . you included. Your turn." Dash said breathing out relieved.

"Easily bored, obnoxious, can't seem to take a hint, and somehow both energetic and lazy at the same time." Rarity listed off staring at her sketch, trying to focus on it. A few seconds later she realized her mistake.

"I meant you name your own flaws." Dash said sadly.

"I'm sorry Dashie, but I'm trying to work and you're . . . How about you go outside and work off some of that extra energy and I can get some work done, then we can do something together." Rarity offered as she felt bad.

"Okay. Sure thing." Dash tried to sound chipper but was still feeling down as she flew out the window.

Author's Note:

sorry for the longer wait. work drained me a lot emotionally. But now taking a break from working, I'm typing again every day. Hope a longer chapter makes up for it. I wasn't sure where to cut it off. Glad to be back typing and I hope you all enjoy. much love. /D

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment