• Published 8th Jan 2021
  • 668 Views, 14 Comments

Three Seasons - shakealchemist



Rainbow Dash and Rarity's relationship goes further back than most ponies know, but just how close did they use to be?

  • ...
4
 14
 668

Act 3, Post Season 2, Surpise Engagement

Rarity sighed longingly as she worked on a new dress. She hadn't seen Rainbow since last night's championship game. She had watched her party with teammates and accept her game MVP trophy, but in all the excitement she had lost track of her and hadn't gotten the chance to talk with her. Their last one-on-one had been the celebratory kiss. The thought was enough to make her blush at all those eyes and cameras that must've been on them. 'I wanted her whole team to know about us, now her whole school knows if not all of Cloudsdale.' Rarity cocked her head to the side trying to focus on the dress and not Rainbow. It wasn't to be as a telltale tapping from said pony on her window alerted her. Far from being bothered by it, Rarity scurried over to the window and opened it.

Rainbow flew in, squeezing past her and holding out her MVP trophy proudly. "Woo!"

"Yes, it's very nice. It's my first time seeing it up close." Rarity put a hoof to its base and inspected it. "And I can think of no more deserving pony than you." Rarity smiled, lifting her gaze to Rainbow affectionately.

"yeah, but I couldn't have done it without you." Dash shrugged it off.

"Oh hush." Rarity dismissed the claim with a wave of a hoof.

"I mean it. I was so used to you saying it's okay for me to fail or come up short, to lose, but for you to believe in me against all odds . . . it meant the world to me. I tried that much harder, because of you, for you." Dash nuzzled her.

"Awww, stop it." Rarity blushed and then rubbed her shoulder out of shame. "I don't mean to come across as a downer. I just want you to know I'll support you even if you lose, but I also believe in you, always. How could I not? Rainbow, you are an incredible flier, the best I've ever seen. Now I know that may not mean much coming from a pony like me, but everypony I talk to agrees, including my father. As long as you're flying, you'll succeed. I know you'll not only be a Wonderbolt but the best one ever."

"You mean that?"

"Of course. I only won't tell you that because you let it get in your pretty little head too much." Rarity teased playfully and gave her a quick little peck on her cheek.

"Hey, I can't help it if I'm just that good." Dash shrugged with the smuggest of looks upon her face and Rarity elbowed her for it.

"Did you come here just to brag?"

"No. I also came because I felt like our celebration got cut short." With a little smirk, Dash leaned in and kissed her, which Rarity allowed for a moment before gently pushing her away.

"True, though it would've been nice if you'd told me about that ahead of time. I wasn't ready for that at all." She half-heartedly complained with an overexaggerated pout.

"Yeah, my bad. It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing. I wanted to reward you for standing on the sideline. I know with all those sweaty players that it wasn't easy for you."

"Nonsense. It was for you. So it was nothing, my little Dashie."

Dash shook her head slightly at her extended nickname before sharing another kiss.

***

"You've opened up and told me quite a bit these last two sessions." Stargazer said closing his notepad as their current meeting was wrapping up.

"Yeah . . . feels good to get some of this stuff off my chest and talk to somepony about it." Dash replied, sitting up while holding her Rarity plush close.

"Do you tell Rarity any of these things?" He asked.

"One or two things and not in great detail. One of those things I told her is the reason we are here now."

"True, but that turned out to be a good thing. Why not tell her some of your troubles that led to you attempting said thing?"

"Because I don't want her to think less of me for it. I talk and act up a big game, and I know that's my own fault, but . . ." Dash sighed deflatingly and stared down at her plush. "If you met Rarity and knew how perfect she is in every way . . . It's like we don't even belong together." She finished, feeling low.

"You seem to hold her to an absurdly high standard, but if correct then one would think she'd accept and love you still. I'll tell you what Rainbow, I'm giving you an assignment. With school out of the way, I want you to spend a week straight with Rarity. Is that possible?"

"Y-yeah." Dash stuttered bewildered by this. This seemed an odd request that clearly had more to it.

"And I want you to try to talk about flaws, especially your own."

"Okay." Dash agreed though she didn't like the idea.

"All right then, I hope to hear how it went the week following it. Stargazer nodded his goodbye and left.

Dash left her room shortly after and tracked down her mother.

"Rainbow, how did it go with Stargazer?" Windy Whistles asked her daughter eagerly.

"Fine. Mom . . . there's uh, something I wanted to ask you." Dash told her wanting to get to the point but was feeling bashful about it.

"Of course my lil' speedster. What is it?" Windy trotted over to her.

Rarity wants to go dancing on Hearts and Hooves day, and . . . I was wondering if you could . . . show me . . . howtodance." Dash quickly spilled the last words out, relieved to no longer be holding it in.

"Aw, of course, I will, but wouldn't you rather your father show you?"

"Well, I'm pretty sure Rarity would want me to lead so . . ." Dash trailed off, her point being made.

"Right, do you want to go ahead and get started now then?"

Dash nodded.

***

Dash felt a sense of relief to be over not just dance lessons with her mother, but school as well. She was excited about all the time she'd get to spend with Rarity. Starting today as she trotted up to Rarity's place. Before she could knock on the door though, it opened.

"I'll see you later . . . oh, hello Rainbow." Hondo froze when he noticed her as he stepped outside.

"Hey coach, what's up?" Rainbow asked curiously at his tone. He seemed nervous.

"I was just headed to the school for a meeting." He informed her.

"What"! Is there a team meeting today?" Dash panicked.

Hondo eased his pose and chuckled. "No, no. This is more of a staff meeting, about coming back next year."

"Oh? Well, I hope it goes well. It won't be the same without you, besides we have to go for the repeat next year." Dash mused.

"Yeah . . . you and Rarity enjoy yourselves. Make sure you behave yourself, okay?"

"Yes sir." Dash answered respectfully as Hondo gave her mane a tussle.

"I should be back by evening." He called back as he trotted away.

"I'll most likely still be here." Dash said heading inside. She quickly ran into Rarity. "Hey, is something up with your dad?" Dash wasted no time expressing her concern.

"You noticed it too? I don't know what it is. He's been like that all morning. I think it has to do with this meeting." Rarity shared her concern as well.

"Well, we'll see how he is once he gets back and ask him about it then. I do have some good news." Dash changed the tone to an excited one.

"What may that be?" Rarity smiled, welcoming the change.

"What do you think about me spending the week of Hearts and Hooves day here?" Dash grinned gleefully.

"The whole week? Yes! Why that would be wonderful darling." Rarity hugged her excitedly. "That totally makes up for this bad news I found out. No pony is hosting a dance for Hearts and Hooves day." Rarity whined with a pout.

"What?" Rainbow Dash was taken aback at the news. It wasn't that the embarrassment she had gone through dancing with her mom had been for nothing, but, though she hated to admit it, she had been looking forward to dancing with Rarity. It saddened her to hear this. ". . . Oh well, I guess if push comes to shove, we'll just have the dance here." Dash decided.

Rarity gasped in surprise at her statement. "Aw, Rainbow. That is very sweet of you . . ." At a loss for what else to say, Rarity nuzzled her, appreciating her.

Dinner brought more good news as it turned out Hondo seemed very happy with how the meeting had gone, saying he would be back for next season.

***

An all too familiar tapping at her window made Rarity look up from her second final lookover of the dress that had long been done and she knew was perfect. She rolled her eyes as she trotted over to the window and opened it. "You're late." Rarity stated annoyed.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I had some stuff I had to take care of around town for tomorrow and it took longer than I expected. Is this my dress?" Dash asked, flying in and seeing the dress on display.

"Yes, it is. And you better not be late for our lunch tomorrow." 'Leave it to Rainbow Dash to save Hearts and Hooves day to the last second. I'll reserve any judgment till I see how she does.' Rarity held onto hope her Dashie would blow her away. "Do you like it?" She asked watching Dash fly around the dress, checking it out.

"It's good . . . I like it. Kinda surprised you went with pink, knowing I'm not big on it." Dash said landing and turning to Rarity.

"Well it's rose pink, you'll be so cute in it, but if you don't like it . . ."

"No, no, no. I never said I don't like it. You make it work. I love it, honestly." Dash smiled, carefully pulling the dress off its mannequin.

"Good." Rarity went up to her and lent her a helping hoof. "Are you excited for tomorrow?" Rarity had to ask. Her own excitement getting the better of her.

"Yep. I got everything all set on my end. I got high hopes that this whole week is gonna be awesome." Dash nuzzled her and gave her a peck on the cheek. She held her new dress folded up to her chest. "I'll see you tomorrow at noon."

"You're not staying longer?" Rarity asked both surprised and disappointed. "You just got here. Aren't you tired from flying over?"

"Nah, I've been around town for the past two hours or so, so I've recovered and I'm ready to go. I'll be back bright and early tomorrow and then it'll be you and me all week. Besides, I'm afraid that if I stay I might end up spending the night." Dash explained amused.

Rarity smiled at her, clearly liking the idea.

"No." Dash answered her unspoken question.

"I wouldn't complain."

"Come on Rare, I want to, but . . ."

"But?"

Dash pondered, not really having a reason not to. "I would, but my parents-"

"Oh, oh course. They wouldn't know and are expecting you back. I'm sorry for pressuring you." Rarity said quickly as she felt guilty. "You go ahead and get going. I'll see you tomorrow. You better not be late." She kissed her and trotted with her over to the window.

". . . Yeah, sure." Dash muttered, regretting being against the idea of staying the night at all. "See ya." She managed a smile and flew out the window, looking back to see Rarity waving as she watched her go.

***

Dash paused before Rarity's house and glanced down at her dress to make sure it looked alright. She didn't want Rarity fretting over anything, especially anything that was within her control. She was going to make this the best Hearts and Hooves day ever.

"Here dearie." Windy Whistles put a hoof to her daughter's mane to adjust it, but Dash swung away from her touch.

"Stop! It's fine. You've worked enough on it, thank you." Dash quickened her pace to avoid being bothered any further.

"Are you excited?" Her father asked as Dash knocked on the door.

"No . . . I see her all the time. I think it's you two that are excited." Dash said rolling her eyes.

"True, we hear so much about her, and you ne-" Bow Hothoof was interrupted by the door opening.

"Rainbow! Don't you look lovely. And these are your parents?" Cookie Crumble asked.

"Yeah, thanks." Dash blushed as she looked down in embarrassment.

"Rarity's upstairs getting ready, could you go catch her while we get acquainted?" Cookie offered, knowing where Dash wanted to be.

"I will, thank you." Dash brightened up and headed up the stairs. She paused outside her bedroom door knowing Rarity didn't like her barging in. "Rarity, we're here. You ready?" Dash asked knocking.

"Yes . . .No." Came Rarity's nervous-sounding reply.

Dash tapped a hoof and sighed wondering if that permitted her entry. 'Might as well figure out what's going on.' Dash thought and entered to find Rarity checking herself out in the mirror.

"It's not too much, is it? Does it look good?" Rarity smoothed out the edges of her cerulean blue dress. It matched the manepiece behind her ear, which was comprised of a couple of flowers and a feather.

Rainbow Dash smiled. "I can't think of a time that you didn't look good."

"Always the little charmer, aren't you? But seriously, do you like the manepiece? I told you I'd make one with that feather of yours. It took me a while to finally do it, but . . . it's not weird, is it?" Rarity couldn't help but ask as her worrying got the better of her.

"No, it's not. I told you that before. Pegasi wear each other's feathers all the time. You look amazing. Now as much as I would love to stand here and admire you, we gotta head downstairs before my parents flock up here." Dash took her hoof and led her to the door.

"Wait, wait! I totally forgot yesterday." Rarity quickly summoned over a pair of stockings and held them out to Dash with her magic.

Dash just stared at them for a moment before sighing and putting them on.

"Aw, you look so adorable. I absolutely love your mane by the way. Who styled it?"

"My mom, and never call me adorable again . . . What?" Dash asked seeing Rarity looking awestruck toward her.

"You're wearing make-up."

That made Dash's blush show through her blush. she both loved that Rarity noticed her efforts to look good for her, but hated being made aware of the feeling of it on her again. "Let's go." She grumbled while holding the door open for her.

"Did you do that for me? That is so sweet of you. I hope this means you'll let me do it for you in the future." Rarity said hopefully.

"Rarity, please . . ." Rainbow said antsy, clearly wanting to move on from it.

"You look fabulous." Rarity kissed her cheek as she passed her, going out into the hallway.

"Thank you." Dash muttered, closing the door behind her as she followed her out.

As soon as Rarity reached the stairs she was greeted by the flash of a camera, and a second one once Dash caught up behind her.

"Oh my goodness, look at her. She's as gorgeous as Rainbow said." Rarity overheard the mare she figured was Rainbow's mother say.

"See her dress? You think she made that one as well? She really is talented."

'And that must be her father.' She thought at his reply. She smiled warmly at them and was about to introduce herself when another flash from their camera temporarily blinded her.

"Aw, look at the two of them, so cute."

She heard Dash's mother say.

"Oh, my dear sweet Celestia. Bowhot, do you see this?"

Rarity blinked her eyes as her vision came back. She saw the two of them looking at one of the pictures they'd just taken.

"Is that . . ." They looked up to Rarity in disbelief

Rarity glanced back at Dash in confusion but she only shrugged at a loss for what was going on. A delighted shriek from Windy Whistles made them both jump as it startled them.

"My goodness Rainbow, this is the best surprise ever!"

"So proud of you kiddo, I knew this one was a keeper." Bowhot hugged his daughter.

"Uh, what?" Dash asked, hardly able to breathe.

"Oh, you have to tell me, did she just ask you, or have you been for some time?" Windy asked, squeezing Rarity's cheeks.

"Been what? What's going on?" Rarity asked, wondering what all the fuss was about.

"Yes, what is this all about?" Hondo asked as he and cookie both joined in the confusion.

"All right! Stop! Stop!" Dash pushed her father off and went to Rarity's aid, gently nudging her mother away as well. "Rarity . . . it's your manepiece. Sorry I didn't notice earlier, but . . . pegasi wear one another's feathers behind their left ear to show off their engagement." Dash explained.

"Or marriage." Bowhot quickly added.

"Oh . . . Oh my . . . no. Rainbow and I aren't engaged." Rarity corrected them, blushing as she removed her manepiece.

"Right . . . you didn't know. Just a silly misunderstanding. Pardon us." Windy forced a smile, though it was apparent that she and Bowhot were both disappointed.

Dash cleared her throat to break the awkward silence. "Mom, dad, this is Rarity. Rarity, this is my mom, Windy Whistles and my dad, Bowhot Hoof."

"Our little Rainbow has told us so much about you." Bowhot said shaking her hoof.

"Yes, and what a darling ballgown you have on. Did you make that? I simply must get a couple of dresses from you." Windy hugged her and inspected her dress, looking her up and down.

"But of course! It would be a pleasure. Anything you want, just let me know and I'll make it for you. It's the least I could do for you." Rarity said with a smile.

"How much are they? Not that price will be an issue."

"Oh, I couldn't charge you anything." Rarity dismissed her question.

"Nonsense, I insist." Windy returned the gesture.

"Could you grant me giving you a discount?"

"I'll agree to that. A family discount. You two may not be engaged, yet, but we still consider you family." Windy gave her a hug and a sweet smile.

"Aw, th-that's very sweet of you to say." Rarity stuttered, touched by her words.

"Come on Rarity. There'll be plenty of time for talk of dresses when we get back. Here." Dash stepped in and offered her a bundle of roses.

"Thank you." Rarity accepted the gift, overwhelmed by all the kindness. "Let me just put these up in my room, then we can go." Rarity excused herself and returned to her room. She set her manepiece on her dresser and put the roses into a vase she had at the ready for this reason. She turned to fetch some water for them and was given a little start when she discovered Rainbow hovering right in front of her. "I didn't realize you'd followed me." She pardoned herself. "Thank you again for the roses." She smiled warmly to which Dash simply nodded in return. Rarity hummed a happy tune as she returned with a pitcher of water and poured it into the vase. She set the pitcher down and turned to Dash. "I'm ready when you are darling."

"Don't forget this." Dash swooped in close and picked up the manepiece.

"Oh, no. I don't want ponies to think we're married." Rarity regrated the words as soon as they left her lips as they sounded harsh.

Luckily, Dash didn't take it as such. "Nonsense. Just wear it behind your other ear. Here . . ." Dash went ahead and put it there for her. "As you always say about accessories going with dresses; time, effort, perfection."

"I don't think that's quite how I word it, but . . ." Rarity looked in the mirror and took off the manepiece once more. "I suppose you are right." Rarity put it back on so that now it was at the right angle and placement.

"Alright, lunch awaits, my treat!" Dash grinned gleefully.

Author's Note:

Setting up for more to happen early on but giving lots of fun afterward! This chapter is easily a favorite of mine. I hope you all love it too <3