• Published 8th Jan 2021
  • 648 Views, 14 Comments

Three Seasons - shakealchemist



Rainbow Dash and Rarity's relationship goes further back than most ponies know, but just how close did they use to be?

  • ...
4
 14
 648

Hard Head, Soft Heart

It had been a long day of dressing Rainbow up, and it had left her room in quite the mess, but that was a worry for another day. For today, right now, Rarity was watching the Junior Speedsters play. She sat properly while wearing a headscarf and fashionable sunglasses. The only thing missing was Rainbow Dash, whom Rarity hadn't seen head or tail of all game. Not on the field nor on the sideline. The Speedsters were suffering for it too. Rarity was losing all interest in the game. She wasn't into hoofball like her father was, but she would find herself getting into it when Rainbow was on the field making plays. "I'm going to take a walk." Rarity told her father, getting up. She couldn't stand watching Dash's team struggle and was worried about Dash's whereabouts. As she was walking down one of the back hallways, she rounded the corner to find Dash sitting on the floor and leaning against the wall. She was in uniform but her helmet was tossed across to the other side of the hall. Her face was buried in her hooves. "Rainbow? Are you okay?" Rarity asked crouching down next to her.

"I'm fine. It's just . . . I missed last practice so coach won't let me play today. It's so dumb!" Dash vented.

"Well, practice is important. Why did you skip it?" Rarity asked curiously.

". . ." Dash wouldn't dare answer that, but Rarity realized why after giving it a moment of thought.

"Oh Dashie, it wasn't yesterday, was it? I'm so sorry! I kept you busy and-"

"No, no, no. I won't have you blaming yourself. This is all on me. Ha, how bad is the score anyways?" Dash asked to get Rarity's mind off the blame game.

"It's . . . not so bad. They could get back into it." Rarity said with a wince, not believing her own words.

"Ah, oh well. Nothing I can do. This sucks." Dash wallowed.

"Care to watch the rest of the game with me?" Rarity asked offering a hoof. Watching a bad game with a friend would no doubt make it bearable.

"No thanks. The urge to join the game would be too great. I'd rather stay here." Dash said looking down.

A moment later there was a soft thud as Rarity plopped down next to her and removed her sunglasses. Dash turned to see her smiling. "Here." Rarity put the sunglasses on Dash. "Very cool." Rarity commented and they both shared a laugh.

* * *

"One missed practice and he benches you for the whole game. We got our flanks kicked across the field because I had no pony to throw it to. I was busting my tail out there, and for what? Another stinkin' loss. Coach Star is the worst. I wish we could replace him." Gilda said crossly as Dash rested on the cloud they laid on.

"Hey, relax. I'm not a fan of the guy myself, but next week it's back to our winning ways."

"Ha! Yeah." Gilda fist-bumped Dash's hoof. "You know, if coach let me call the shots on the field we'd be unstoppable." Gilda lamented with a longing sigh as she laid flat on her back.

"You'd just pass the ball to me every time." Dash said with a chuckle.

"Hey, I'd mix it up. Sometimes I would keep it, but like I said unstoppable." Gilda defended jokingly.

"Sounds like a plan . . . coach"

Gilda laughed at that. "So you didn't tell me, why did you miss practice?"

"Oh . . . pft, duh. I'm already awesome. Why would I need to practice?" Dash lied with a scoff, well half lied in her mind.

"True. Just don't go missing any more. Playing without you sucks." Gilda said seriously.

"I got you." Dash nodded.

* * *

It was a bright and sunny day, perfect for the following hoofball game for the Speedsters, and it was a second matchup against the Cold Fronts.

"Alright Speedsters, I want you to push our last game against these guys out of your heads. We've grown as a team since then. We can win this." Coach Shooting Star told his team, pacing back and forth before them.

"Yeah, besides if we win this one we'll be the first team to clinch a playoff spot. So let's kick some flank!" Dash shouted raising a hoof into the air.

"Nicely put Dash." Gilda smirked leaning back as the rest of the team cheered in agreement before taking off for the field. Coach Star stared after them and sighed. He couldn't help but smile at the thought of a playoff spot though.

The first quarter was going the Cold Fronts' way, but the Speedsters stayed in it. The Cold Fronts' defense was as good and hard-hitting as last game. Dash found herself helping throw blocks quite more than she had in any other game. More often than not it was Derpy who was struggling with her match-up. After one of her missed blocks, Dash was in a position to chip the rusher, stumbling him and giving Gilda the time to pass it to Dash who was left open for a short gain.

"Sorry Rainbow Dash, he keeps outplaying me." Derpy apologized as they got set for the next play.

"It's all good. Together, we outplay him." Dash said, patting Derpy on the back. Smiling, Derpy took her position for the snap. At the snap, it was a run play to Nimble, so Dash rushed in to help block. Once more it was Derpy struggling with the same colt. He was starting to break away and reach for Nimble when Dash smacked into him, allowing Nimble to pick up a few yards.

"Dang it, stop helping that stupid thing!" The colt spat, pushing the two of them away at the end of the play.

"Hey! You wanna try saying that sh-" Dash started, stepping toward him only to be stopped by Derpy.

"It's fine Rainbow. When we get upset, sometimes we say things we don't mean." Derpy spoke with a grain. "And thanks for the help."

"No problem, Derpy. I'm always here for ya." Dash said turning her attention away from the colt and hoof bumping Derpy with a grin in return.

As it turned out the colt was certainly more than mad. The following play had Dash set as the if all else fails screen pass. So at the snap Dash turned to watch Gilda, but something else caught her eye and it was brutal. The same colt had lifted Derpy up into the air and then he slammed her into the turf. Instead of going after Gilda, he kept Derpy pinned to the ground, his facemask bobbed against hers as if he was jawing off at her. "Hey! Get off of her!" Dash shouted racing over as Gilda threw the ball downfield. Dash shoved the colt off of Derpy. "Get out of here!" She shouted at him.

"Whatever." He grumbled, trotted away as the play had ended in an incomplete pass.

"Here Derpy." Dash offered her a hoof to help her up, but she just laid there . . . crying.

"I don't want to play anymore." Derpy sobbed quietly, avoiding her gaze.

Dash felt rage creeping over herself. Derpy was always so positive, she seemed to never let anything get her down. She was nothing if not sweet and kind. Dash had never seen her like this and it filled her with anger toward her tormentor. She stomped after the colt, leaving Derpy behind. "WHAT DID YOU SAY TO HER?!" Dash yelled furious as she pulled her helmet off.

The colt turned to face Dash. "You want the truth? I told that stupid piece of trash that her mere existence is a mistake and that I own her both on and-"

Dash let him go no farther and interrupted him by pushing his helmet up so that her free hoof could sock him in the face. The sucker punch knocked him to the ground and his helmet off. Dash leaped on top of him and started waling away at his head. The one shot he got in on Dash didn't faze her or the assault. It ended only as teammates pulled them apart and to the sidelines.

"Rainbow Dash! What in the hay were you thinking?" Coach Star demanded to know.

"Did you see what he was doing out there?" Dash shouted questioningly as her eye began to swell from the hit she had taken.

"It doesn't matter! What you did was unacceptable, now get head for the lockers." Star angrily pointed the way.

"What?! Are you seriously kicking me from the game?" Dash asked in disbelief.

"I don't have to, the officials are." Star said standing firm.

"This is such bull!" Dash threw her helmet away as hard as she could before flying to the locker room. She muttered to herself mad about what had happened and how it turned out as she undressed. While she was just putting away the last of her uniform she heard an unexpected voice.

"Rainbow? Are you in here?"

"Dash took a breath and closed her locker before responding. "I'm over here Rares." Dash took a seat and hung her head, not wanting to face whatever Rarity had to say.

"So what do you have to say for yourself?" Rarity asked turning the corner.

Dash sighed defeated. 'Guess there is no hiding from her.' Dash looked up to her and watched her face switch from disapproval to worry.

"Dashie!" Rarity gasped in shock and rushed to her side. "Are you alright? Why would you start a fight?" Rarity asked examining Dash's face.

"Its- uh . . . I'm fine. I don't even feel it, besides that jerk deserved it." Dash said crossing her arms.

"And how's that?" Rarity asked, wincing as she took a closer look at Dash's black eye.

"He made Derpy cry!"

"Well that's certainly uncalled for, but I don't believe that justifies your actions." Rarity said taking a seat next to her. While upset with her, she knew she needed to be comforted.

"Derpy never cries. You could call her dumb to her face and she'd take it as a compliment. Not that I've ever done that. . . If you had heard the horrible things he said. . ." Dash trailed off softly, hating to think about it.

"That doesn't mean things had to get physical."

"Ahg! I thought you wanted me to be supportive of my team. I wasn't about to let him bully Derpy! Now I'm kicked from playing today." Dash put her face into her hooves.

"Rainbow you meant well, but you went about it wrong. Oh dear, how do I put it? You want to beat somepony fair and square right?" Rarity asked.

"Right. It's the only way to prove I'm truly the best."

"Well hitting your opponent's face isn't exactly fair now is it?" Rarity put it simply.

"Ha, yeah I guess you're right." Dash laughed at how easily Rarity made her see how wrong she had been. "How would you like to be a coach?"

"I'd rather be a cheerleader." Rarity mused.

"I'd be down for that, but I get it Rarity. No more dirty playing for me."

"Good to hear." Rarity gave her a hug. "Now if you want me to get my make-up kit I could probably cover that black eye up." Rarity offered.

"No, no make-up for me. Not when modeling for you and not for hoofball." Dash laid out plainly.

"Very well, I better leave before halftime." Rarity said looking about the locker room.

"Hey, I'll join you. I ain't got much else to do." Dash said standing up as she did.

"No offense darling, but you smell horrible. Shower first before joining me please." Rarity requested.

"Right . . . catch you later." Dash said turning to the showers.

"My seat is c14. See you there." Rarity said trotting away.

Dash rush to get her shower started. 'See you there.' Rarity's voice replayed in her mind as she thought about how her flanks swayed as she trotted away. She let out a pleased hum and smile as the shower water plastered her mane to her face. A familiar feeling began to wash over her and she quickly shook it away. 'Why do I keep thinking about her like that? I'm no filly fooler.' Dash told herself thinking back to the teasing and bullying she had gotten over the term. Dash hurried through her shower and got out. Right as she was done drying off, the rest of the Junior Speedsters came trotting in.

Gilda went straight to Dash. "What were you thinking? How could you get yourself kicked from the game over Derpy of all ponies?" She complained furiously.

"Hey, hey, hey. I wasn't about to let those losers think we're a bunch of cry babies. Besides, did you see me lay him out?" Dash bragged with a sly smirk.

"True. That was pretty sweet. It's just that now the game is going to be a lot harder to win without you in it." Gilda sighed exasperatedly.

"Yeah, I can see that. Too bad your not good enough to replace me." Dash joked to lighten the mood.

"Oh, I could. The problem is that there's no pony who could possibly replace me." Gilda corrected according to her own beliefs.

"Yeah, sure." Dash rolled her eyes. "I gotta fly. Best of luck in the game." Dash added with a hoof bump before flying off to meet up with Rarity, leaving Gilda with a questioning look on her face.

* * *

Dash laid in Rarity's bed while pressing an icepack to her eye. With her uncovered eye, she watched Rarity work on a new dress. Once Dash had caught up to her at the stadium they only watched a little of the game. Rarity wanted Dash to treat her injury and Dash didn't want to watch her team struggle. So they did what was starting to become a regular thing, they went to Rarity's house.

Rarity was humming a cheerful tune as she measured out a piece of fabric. They both let out a sigh. Rarity turned to Dash with a curious expression.

"What's up?" Dash spoke first, sitting up and setting her icepack aside for the moment. While her own sigh had been content, Rarity's sounded more frustrated.

"Oh, it's just . . . I'm making this dress for a client, but . . . well what they want doesn't look quite right." Rarity admitted.

"Well, does your client like it?" Dash inquired.

"I hope so. I'm making it exactly how she wanted. It's just . . . I don't like it." Rarity shared her thoughts as she looked over the dress.

"So? It's not for you. It's for some other mare. She long as she likes it, that's all that matters." Dash reasoned.

"Yes, I see what you mean, but I love making dresses and I want them all to look objectively good. This . . . doesn't." Rarity defended her view.

"Pft, and I want to score a touchdown on every catch I make, but that ain't happening. As long as I get the ball and I do a good job, that's all that matters. Plus I will still get my scores from time to time. I'm happy enough to get the chance to prove myself out there." Dash explained then waited for Rarity's response but found she was staring forward in silence. "What is it?" Dash asked puzzled.

"You're so right. Even if I don't like every dress I make I still did a great job making it. And it'll make me the bits to make dresses I'm more passionate about. All in all, I'm doing something I enjoy. Oh, thank your words of wisdom Dashie. You are such a sweetheart." Rarity trotted over and hugged Dash.

"Uh, ha. Sure. No problem. Anytime." Dash rubbed the back of her head. She was happy Rarity got a lesson out of it that Dash hadn't realized was even there.

"Now I'm feeling inspired to finish this job as well." Rarity said moving back to the dress, bobbing joyfully as she worked.

Dash settled back down, putting her icepack back over her eye, and watched Rarity's hips sway with an easy smile.

* * *

Dash glided into the Junior Speedsters' stadium bright and early for the first practice after the previous game. From the look of it she had beaten all of her teammates there, the only other pony there was Shooting Star. 'Ah, this is just what I need to get all those weird thoughts about Rarity out of my head.' "Yo, coach! Looks like I'm the first one here. Want me to run some laps or should we just chill?" Dash asked excited to get started as she landed in front of Star.

"Oh, Dash. You're early for once. Which is a good thing I suppose. I have some news for you." Star said sounding unsure of what to say next.

"What is it? Am I up for MVP, or are you just glad to have your best player back?" Dash asked with a smug smirk.

"Well . . . that's just it. I don't. The league handed down a one game suspension on you. You're not playing this week." Star broke the bad news.

"What?! Why?!"Dash exclaimed in shock.

"Why? For that fight, you got in last week obviously. Do you realize how serious that was? He went to the hospital. You're lucky it was only for one game." Star scolded her.

Dash shrank back. "oh, I- . . . uh, I didn't mean to do that. Is he okay?" Dash asked ashamed.

"He's fine. It was a quick patch-up job, but as it stands, you can't practice with us until next week either." Star informed her.

Dash hung her head and turned away. She paused a moment to process this information and how it made her feel, angry. She stomped her hoof a couple of times before kicking a bench and flying away without another word.

Star sighed and shook his head as he watched Dash fly away.

* * *

Dash let out a breath as she stared at the front door of Rarity's house. 'I told myself I wouldn't come here, but I want to talk to somepony and Gilda would end up giving me flak for missing another game.' Dash thought somberly. All she wanted was comfort from a friend. Dash knocked on the door and this time it was Rarity who answered the door.

"Dashie! . . . You look so dejected. Are you alright? Come on in, I have tea set and we can talk about it." Rarity ushered Dash into the kitchen, where she poured her a cup of tea before they both took a seat.

"Thanks." Dash muttered looking at her tea and electing to lay her chin on the table.

Rarity could see the depressed look in Dash's eyes. "Rainbow please, talk to me. What's bothering you?" Rarity pleaded, reaching a hoof out toward her.

"You ever feel completely useless?" Dash asked.

"What makes you say such a thing?" Rarity countered confused.

"I feel like I'm letting my team down. Like I'm worthless and can't do anything right, even when I'm trying my best." Dash admitted.

"Dashie, I don't think that and I doubt your team thinks that either. You're amazing, you have so much talent, and you're such a caring pony." Rarity told her tenderly.

Dash smiled and lifted her head up. "You really think so?"

"I know so." Rarity confirmed, placing a supportive hoof atop one of Dash's.

A familiar feeling crept over Dash. One she had been trying to avoid, that only Rarity made her feel, that she wants to stop yet always craves more. Dash casually pulled her hoof away. "Do you have any dresses you need help with?" She asked softly while looking away.

"You mean with modeling?" Rarity questioned to which Dash nodded. "I may have a few if you would like to do that."

"Sure, I don't mind." Dash said casually as she got up and trotted toward Rarity's room. 'Hopefully, she'll call me beautiful again.' Dash's heart filled with excitement at the thought as Rarity followed closely behind, tea in magic floating alongside her.

* * *

Rarity noticed over the next several days that Dash came over every day. So shortly after Dash come over on this day and had gotten settled, taking a seat on her bed, she asked her about it. "Rainbow, you've certainly been spending a lot of time here as of late. Is something going on?"

"Why'd ya say that? You don't like my company?" Dash asked, faking a hurt expression.

"No, it's just that you have a game tomorrow, and well, I would think you'd have practice."

"Oh." Dash realized she had made a mistake coming over every day.

"Oh?"

Dash bit her lip then, figuring she had been caught, she decided to come clean. "I . . . got suspended from this week's game."

"What?! You didn't skip another practice to see me again did you?" Rarity accused.

"No, it's . . . because of last week's fight. Additional punishment for that." Dash said meekly.

"Oh . . . well that's fitting." Rarity nodded.

"What? No, it's not. I already learned my lesson from that!" Dash exclaimed, surprised she wasn't taking her side.

Rarity sighed. "Rainbow, I was there, watching that play- that fight. It was . . ." She paused, remembering what she had seen. "To know that you could do that to another pony was horrifying to learn like that, and honestly . . . " She looked away, not wanting to face Dash for the harsh truth. "It scares me. So yes, the punishment fits to make sure you never think to do such a terrible thing agai-." She turned back to Dash and cut herself off at the sight of Dash wiping away tears as more were getting ready to fall.

"I-I didn't realize you felt that way about it . . . about . . . me." Dash said shaking from the pain in her chest.

"Oh, Dashie. I don't hate you. It's just that you tend to let your emotions get the better of you." Rarity offered a change of tone, seeing that she was taking it so hard. She thought it was a bit of an overreaction from the rainbow maned mare, but it pained her to see it nonetheless.

Dash took a breath to steady herself. "I should go." She announced getting up.

"What? Rainbow, please. I didn't mean to-" Rarity rushed to her side.

"No." Dash interrupted her. "I've just been hiding by coming here. Besides, there's something else I need to do." And with those words Dash left, leaving a stunned Rarity standing alone in her room.

* * *

"Looks like I have myself a lunch buddy." Bow Hothoof, Rainbow's dad, said to her as she joined him at the table while he was eating lunch. "You seem a little down Ace, what's wrong?" Bow asked, calling her by the nickname he had for her.

Dash rested her head on the table and sighed. "Dad . . . I need your advice. I got this problem with this pony. . . " Dash started.

"You're not getting into fights again, are you?" Bow questioned with a raised brow.

"No. You see, this pony . . . is well . . . I lov- really like spending time with em'. They really make me happy, but . . . when the tiniest things go wrong between us, it hurts soooo much. What's wrong with me?" Dash asked, looking to her dad.

"Well, tell me a little more about what you mean." Bow requested.

"This pony, being with her is like . . . better than flying through the open skies. She makes my heart twist, and pound and ache." Dash let out a heavy sigh. "I'm in love aren't I?"

"Yep, pretty deeply too by the sound of it." Bow nodded as Dash deflated. He then smirked. "So it's a mare then. What's her name?" He asked intrigued.

"I- . . ." Dash froze then realized she had said she a couple of times. She groaned and her head went back to the table to hide her embarrassment. "Dad, please. Just- just tell me . . . what do I do?" Dash pleaded.

"Not until I get the name of the mare that stole my aerial ace's heart." Bow said stubbornly.

" . . . Rarity." Dash confessed while her hoof traced tiny hearts on the table. 'This is so lame.'

"Hmm, isn't that fashion unicorn you bought up a couple of times before? Well, my advice would be to wait till it's just the two of you, or all of your focus is on each other and it's a special moment. Something beautiful that brings you closer and then tell her how you feel and give her a kiss. Like pure magic . . ." Bow finished and leaned back in his chair, looking off into nothing as if lost in his own head.

Dash thought over her father's words and images filled her head of winning a championship as well as MVP, one hoof she held the trophy up in victory, her other hoof held Rarity's hoof. She would turn and lock lips with her as the crowd roared in applause. "Yeah . . . That's a great idea dad, thanks. And . . . please don't tell anypony else we had this conversation. " Dash said and sped off to her room with a giant grin.

"No problem!" Bow called after her with a wave as he snapped back to reality. He turned his attention back to his lunch once more.

Author's Note:

Bullying scenes are the core reason for the teen rating. They do get darker. So fair warning. Also I wrote Dash's parents before the show introduced them, so they are more oc than ooc. Hoofball seasons are based off of old single player rocket league seasons I played. That's a handful of fun facts for ya. ;)