• Published 8th Jan 2021
  • 668 Views, 14 Comments

Three Seasons - shakealchemist



Rainbow Dash and Rarity's relationship goes further back than most ponies know, but just how close did they use to be?

  • ...
4
 14
 668

Caregiver's Cottage

Rarity sighed depressed. She pushed her pillow away from herself as she got out of bed. As much as she wished and pretended the pillow was her Dashie, it wasn't. It wasn't warm, nor had feathers that occasionally tickled her. It lacked soft fur to nuzzle, warm breath on her neck, and hooves to hold her in return.

Rarity shook her head and rubbed her shoulder. 'I'm so tired of feeling like this. Why can't I get over her? Why is she the only thing I can think about?' Rarity looked around her room and sighed. 'I've been holed up in here since breaking up with Dash. Maybe if I get a change of scenery it'll help.' Rarity went over to her dresser. She brushed her mane and did her make-up. If she was going to go out, she was going to look her best.

After her best efforts though, her tired eyes still showed despite the make-up. Rarity donned a pair of shades to cover them up. Not liking the way her mane sat she tied on a headscarf and placed a bonnet on top of that. Nodding approvingly to her reflection in the mirror, she was off.

Rarity trotted about Ponyville, taking in its beauty and going to her favorite spots . . . none had their desired effect, they had the opposite in fact. Everywhere she went sparked memories of Rainbow Dash. 'This is pointless. I can't stop thinking about her. I have all this pent-up emotion. Pent-up . . . That's it! I need somepony to vent to. That should help, and I know just the pony to talk to.' Rarity thought, changing course.

***

Fluttershy petted her little young Angel bunny. She had just finished feeding him when there was a knock at her front door. "Oh? Who could that be?" Fluttershy wondered aloud, moving toward the door. She smiled when she opened it. "Rainbow Dash! What a pleasant surprise." Fluttershy greeted her excitedly, but then she frowned seeing how down Dash appeared to be. "What's wrong?"

"Fluttershy, could you put on some tea? I . . . I need to talk to you."

Just by the sound of her voice Fluttershy knew this was a heavy burden on Dash's mind that she wanted to talk about. "Of course. Come in, have a seat." Fluttershy nodded and flew to the kitchen. Hurrying, she fumbled about as she got her kettle set and started. When she returned to the den she found Dash sitting on her couch with a blanket wrapped around her. She was sadly watching the different animals in the room going about their lives.

"Sorry I couldn't stop by sooner . . . and at a happier time. It's been uh . . . strange for me for a while now." Dash sighed sadly. "I just want to get some things off of my chest." She admitted.

"Of course Rainbow. It's fine. Go ahead and tell me what's troubling you . . . when you're ready to." Fluttershy encouraged softly as she sat down next to Dash.

"you see, I was busy because . . . I was . . . seeing somepony." She confessed.

"You mean dating?" Fluttershy asked and Dash nodded. "Who was it?"

"it . . . was . . . Rarity." Dash said with a heavy breath. "And I ruined it. Fluttershy, I cheated on her like an idiot."

Fluttershy gasped surprised. "Rainbow Dash! How could you?!"

"I know! It was this whole complicated matter and- and it's all my fault . . . but I want to make it up to her, but I can't. She wants nothing to do with me and I don't blame her. Even if she did hear me out it wouldn't matter. I have no clue what I'd say, how I could apologize to her. I spent all morning sitting in a tree near her house thinking of the perfect words to say and nothing seemed right . . . and now I'm afraid . . . afraid I can't fix things with Rarity. That she's going to hate me forever and that this pain in my heart will never go away." Dash cried, turning away to wipe her tears away.

"Oh Rainbow, I'm sure Rarity won't hate you forever, but what you did . . . she's going to need time, and then it'll be up to her to forgive you. You're going to have to wait for her to come to you."Fluttershy put a comforting hoof on Dash's shoulder.

"But I live in Cloudsdale! The only time she could ever see me is at the Junior Speedsters' field, two days out of the week, and only at certain times! What if she wants to see me on a day she can't and has second thoughts the following day?" Dash asked hopelessly.

"Rainbow, if she truly loves you, then Rarity will find her way to you no matter what."

"Even if you're right, none of it would matter if it weren't for me. I'm the only one to blame for my actions. I just wish I could fix it myself. That's all I want . . . but I can't!" Dash cried frustrated. She laid down on the couch and covered more of herself with the blanket that was around her.

Fluttershy bit her lip as she thought of a good reply when the kettle's whistle caught her attention. "I'll be right back." She let Dash know softly as she flew to the stove with a pondering hoof upon her chin. 'Poor Rainbow. She's really beating herself up over this. Maybe I should talk to Rarity myself on behalf of Rainbow. That could help.' Fluttershy decided as she poured two cups of tea, set them on a tray, and then carefully flew back to the den. "You'll just have to be patient, Rarity will come around." She reassured Dash, setting the tray down. She picked up a cup for Dash and turned toward her. It broke the animal caregiver's heart to see the defeated and depressed look on Dash's face as tears flowed from her usually unshakable friend.

"Why? Why does it have to be like this?" Dash muttered to herself.

"Oh Rainbow, I-." Fluttershy began just to be interrupted by a knock at the door. 'Who could that be?' "Uh, excuse me for a moment." Fluttershy said to Dash who seemed too lost in her emotions to pay her any attention. Fluttershy gently flew to the door and cracked it open."Umm, nows not really a-." Fluttershy started and ended up being talked over.

"Oh, Fluttershy darling, I've had the worst past couple of weeks." Rarity said, pulling the door more open and trotting inside.

"Uh, Rarity, you should know that-" Fluttershy tried to warn her that Dash was in the room While Rarity hang her hat upon her coat rack and pulled her scarf down.

"Could you put some tea on and I'll . . ." Rarity's talking over trailed off this time as she spotted the tea was already set, and then her eyes met Dash's, who looked shocked before she suddenly looked away. It struck Rarity how sad Dash looked. It was hard to believe that she had hoped Dash felt miserable, but now that she saw it was true herself she felt pity for her, not only that but she also felt bad. 'Maybe I've been too hard on her.'

Fluttershy put a hoof on her shoulder. "Rarity, you two should talk . . . and please, take an easy on her. I know she's in the wrong here, but she's beaten herself up over this so much . . . I don't think she can handle much more." Fluttershy's voice was barely a whisper.

Without replying, Rarity trotted to the couch. She lifted her sunglasses so that they rested up near her horn, she then sat next to Rainbow.

Rainbow looked up at her. She rubbed her tears away to see Rarity calmly staring forward.

"well? You wanted a chance to explain yourself, so let's hear it." Rarity said, turning her gaze toward Dash.

"I- I'm an idiot." Dash said looking away.

"That's a good start." Rarity nodded in agreement.

Dash sat up. "I could tell you any excuse I have for what I did, but I can't excuse it. What I did hurt you and everypony else around me. You hate me now and rightfully so. I hate myself too." Dash choked up and wiped away fresh tears before continuing with newfound desperate determination. "But I don't want to lose what we had. I never felt this way about another pony. I've never had a pony actually make me feel beautiful, that helped me expand on my dreams. That future you talked about? Where we get married and adopt foals. I want that. I can't the fact it's all my fault that it's at risk. I don't deserve a pony like you nor will I find another like you. Rarity . . . I don't want to lose you." Dash finished, bowing her head down, tears dripping from her muzzle onto her hooves. There was a long pause and Dash felt a hoof upon her shoulder.

"Rainbow . . ."

Dash looked up to see Rarity teary-eyed.

"I-I love you." At those words Rarity had Dash throwing her hooves around her, embracing her. "But you can't do this to me again." Rarity hugged her in return.

"I won't. I won't." Rainbow squeezed her tighter.

Rarity pushed her away slightly. "I mean it Rainbow. No more chances after this. I catch you with another mare or colt it's over." She warned seriously.

"I swear Rarity, never again. You're the one for me and I'm never going to take that for granted again." Dash told her and Rarity smiled sweetly in return. Dash leaned in a bit and Rarity met her halfway as they shared a kiss.

"Awww." Fluttershy squeed softly, causing both Rainbow and Rarity to jump as they were both suddenly reminded as to where they were.

The two of them shared a blush.

***

Dash was ripe with anticipation. Today was her first sleepover at Rarity's since before their break-up. Everything was going to go great, she just knew it. She had even gotten a gift for Rarity. It balanced on her back neatly as Dash landed and knocked at the door. Hondo answered it. "Hey, coach." Dash greeted.

"Rainbow. You better treat her right this time. Don't go breaking her heart a second time." Hondo said staring her down.

Dash swallowed. "Wouldn't dream of it. This time it's me and her forever." Dash said sure of it.

"Sounds good. You better mean it." Hondo stepped aside.

Dash nodded and flew inside. She landed before Rarity's door, seeing that it was closed. Excitedly, she knocked at the door.

"Just a minute!" Called Rarity from inside.

'I wonder if she has anything special in mind for today.' Dash thought as she tapped a hoof on the floor as she waited.

"Come in!" Rarity's voice came again only a moment later.

Dash opened the door and her cheeks flushed red at the sight before her. Rarity was lying, somewhat curled up, on the end of her bed. Her usually spiraled to perfection mane was straightened out and it covered one of her eyes. White fur was covered in a pink hue from the see-through robe, with a fuzzy trim, the mare wore.

Rarity smiled, enjoying the reaction she got from the pegasus that stood frozen in the doorway.

"H-hey." Dash managed to get the word out of her throat. Rarity patted the spot next to her and stifled a giggle. Rainbow trotted over and took a seat next to her, carefully shifting the box from her back to her lap.

Seeing the box, Rarity perked up, especially at the sight of the ribbon tied around it. "Oh! Is that for me?" She asked sitting up.

"Oh, uh, yeah. Here." Dash said handing it over. "I got it at Sugarcube Corner, it's your favorite." Dash added as Rarity unwrapped it.

"Aw Rainbow, how did you know that . . . bonbons?" Rarity frowned disappointedly.

"They're not your favorite, are they? I guess I just assumed they were." Dash groaned and face hoofed. 'Way to go Dash, you ruined it already.' Dash scolded herself.

"Assorted chocolates are my favorite. What made you think bonbons were?" Rarity asked curiously.

"It's what you got on our date." Dash's answer brought the memory flooding back to her.

'She remembered that? That's so sweet of her." Rarity leaned over and kissed Dash's cheek, causing her to blush once again. "That's alright. Bonbons are my second favorite."

"Heh, I'll keep that in mind." Dash glanced back at Rarity's workstation. "So what's up? Usually, every time I come over you're always working." Dash asked.

"Yes, well I fell a little behind in my work for a while and did a lot of catching up on it all day. So I wanted to spend the evening with all my attention on you . . . besides, there's . . . something I wanted to talk to you about." Rarity finished nervously.

"What about?" Dash asked with a raised eyebrow.

"How's everything going for you at school?"

"Oh . . . that. uh, yeah . . . things are going great." Dash lied, rubbing a hoof through her own mane as her eyes looked away from Rarity. School was never a favorite subject for Dash and after recent events, she found the thought of it awkward.

Rarity put a hoof on top of Dash's that was on the bed. "Rainbow, please, I want to talk about this. You told me yourself that you had hurt everypony around you. I want to give you some support with that." Rarity said comfortingly.

"Oh . . . well I mean most of that was from that rumor with your dad and me. That's blown over for the most part. The only thing is . . ." Dash trailed off unsure if she wanted to bring it up.

"Go on." Rarity scooted closer to her.

"Its . . . Sunbeam." As Dash feared that alone was enough to make Rarity pull away, but only just enough so that she could no longer feel her against herself. Dash sighed. "Rarity, I like him . . . as a friend. He's cool and we have a lot in common, but I don't love him. I never did. So . . ." Dash looked away, staring into nothingness.

"What?" Rarity asked, half dreading the answer.

"Why did he forgive me so quickly, so easily, when I haven't even forgiven myself."

"Oh Rainbow . . . why are you always so hard on yourself? This is a good thing." Rarity assured her.

"It is?" Dash said surprised, turning back toward her.

"Well . . . yes." Rarity sighed. "Rainbow, I can't exactly expect you to stay away from him. you are teammates after all. You train together so much . . . I honestly don't like it, but you two should be friends. I'll trust you with him."

Dash was at a loss for words. For one she was grateful, but she could tell how much it pained Rarity to say that. "Rares . . . I'm going to make this work. I'm going to be the best marefriend you could ask for." Dash said confidently, firmly believing in her own words.

"Now that, I like to hear." Rarity gave Dash another kiss, this time on the lips.

***

After another win, one would think Dash would be excited or at least relax. Instead, she found her nerves getting the better of her. After changing out of her uniform in the locker room, she stared at the door, the exit to the hallway. The place Rarity had caught her cheating, was it no longer their meet-up spot? Shakily, she pushed the door open and stepped out.

"Rainbow! Haven't I told you it's rude to keep a lady waiting?" Rarity greeted her immediately with a smile.

Dash let out a relieved breath she didn't realize she had been holding. "To be fair, I can think of a couple times you kept me waiting." Dash replied trotting up to her.

"I have no idea what you are talking about." Rarity joked.

Dash chuckled and gave her a short nuzzle. "For a second there I was worried you weren't going to be here." Dash confessed.

"Yes . . . I can understand why you would worry about that. I had had my own doubts as well." Rarity said grimly before perking back up. "But we're past that now, right?"

"Right." Dash agreed happily.

"Besides, I wanted to know if you wanted to stay over tonight. Last night was . . . the first goodnight's rest I had had in a while." Rarity offered.

"Yeah, it was for me too. So yeah, of course, I'll come over tonight." Dash accepted readily. "Oh! And tomorrow morning I'll finally start making good on my promise to start taking you out more." Dash added excitedly.

"Oh, I don't know Rainbow. Tomorrow? I already told you I have so much work to catch up on." Rarity said thinking about it.

"Aw, come on Rares, one quick walk around town won't take long, pleeease?" Dash pleaded, snuggling up to her.

"Oh alright. Like I can say no to that. Very well. I'll see you again shortly." Rarity excused herself with a peak on Dash's cheek before leaving.

***

Rarity could see how Dash was so active, she slept so much. While Rarity had showered, done her make-up, and eaten breakfast, Dash was just waking up as Rarity returned to her room. Sure this was something she was used to, but Dash had promised to go in the morning, and that was quickly fading away. "Rainbow, darling, please hurry. I'd like to go get going soon." Rarity said, taking a moment to check herself out in her mirror.

"Alright, alright." Dash stretched and yawned. She rolled out of ber and landed on her hooves. She stretched out more with a shake to wake herself up fully. "Okay. Let's go." Dash said standing up straight.

"Wha- what? Don't you want to eat first or freshen up a bit?" Rarity asked surprised.

"Nah, I'm fine. come on, let's go!" Rainbow got set to fly off ahead when Rarity stepped in front of her.

"Not so fast! Your mane is a mess."

Dash's expression went from confused to annoyed as Rarity levitated a brush over and ran it through her mane a few times. "Good?"

"Yes." Rarity said with a nod and Dash took off flying out of the room.

With a smile, Rarity shook her head and followed after her, albeit at a much slower pace. She caught up with the pegasus just outside the front door where she was waiting for her.

"I thought it was you who told me it's rude to keep a lady waiting. Dash teased.

"Yes, and so is rushing ahead of your date." Rarity retorted with a smirk.

"Guess I'm pretty rude, huh?" Dash said with a laugh.

"We'll work on it." At that, they trotted forward together. "So where did you want to go? Just around town? Or maybe we could stop by Sugarcube Corner and say hi to Pinkie Pie, she-"

"Aw, you know what? I always wanted to check out that pond!" Dash interrupted Rarity excitedly.

Rarity blinked in stunned disbelief. ". . . you mean the one in the backyard?" Dash answered her question by turning sharply and flying toward the said pond." Rarity sighed and hurried after her.

DAsh dived into the water and immediately resurfaced, shaking her wet mane out of her face.

'So much for brushing it.' Rarity lamented, taking a seat near the water's edge and wrapping her tail neatly around her hooves. "You know, that wasn't much of a walk." She commented.

"Going for a walk was just a suggestion. Swimming seems like more fun. Come on, join in, the water feels so nice and cool." Dash said swimming over to her.

"Certainly not! I spent quite some time on this make-up and I - RAINBOWDASHDON'TYOUDARE!" Rarity shrieked seeing Dash raise her hooves and wings high up.

DAsh smacked them down into the water, creating a large splash.

Rarity put a hoof up, which proved to be a pathetic shield against the coming wave. She let out a sharp gasp at the sudden cold feeling of being soaked.

"Ha! Guess there's no reason to not jump in now." Dash chuckled.

Rarity glared at her and her horn glowed. Dash looked at her questioningly, then around her, trying to figure out what she was doing with her magic. Rarity smiled amused as Dash finally looked up and Rarity released the water she had been holding over Dash's head.

Dash winched as it splashed onto her face. "Is that the best you got?" Dash asked challengingly, shaking the water off. Suddenly she was hit with a much larger splash. "haha!" Dash heard Rarity's laugh and glanced over to her side to see Rarity splashing her with her hooves. Dash couldn't help but laugh as she splashed Rarity in return.

"You better apologize Dash!" Rarity demanded with a splash.

"If that's the best you can do then no way!" Dash retorted, splashing her right back.

"Is that so? Well, there is something I am better at." Rarity declared.

Dash paused. "what's that?"

Moving forward, Rarity embraced Dash and kissed her passionately.

Stunned by it, Dash could barely react before Rarity broke the kiss.

"Apologize and I might do that again." Rarity hinted suggestively.

"I'm sorry." Dash said quickly.

"For?"

". . . I don't even know." Dash answered, still mesmerized from the kiss.

Rarity shook her head amused. 'Good enough.' She figured and kissed Dash once more.

Author's Note:

a little late thanks to internet issues, but I'm back. Back like these two lovebirds are. I couldn't keep them apart for too long. things are looking up once more! will the trend continue? or are more rough waters ahead? just wait to find out. (or for future readers click 'next chapter') Enjoy!