• Published 17th Dec 2020
  • 510 Views, 5 Comments

A dragons fears - redsopine



Smolder's concerns about gallus was proven correct now she's worried about his future

  • ...
 5
 510

A talk between a dragon and a tree

Author's Note:

First part before the talk all goes to the amazing summer script

Another roar echoes through the air as I hurriedly rush through the doors of the Treehouse, slamming them shut behind me.

My breath comes out in short, pained gasps as I slowly turn around and lean against the doors. I immediately realize my mistake and leap forward, yelping at the shock that went down my wings.

“Okay! Okay…! Your wings are still sprained, Smolder! Your wings are still sprained!” I repeat to myself, suppressing an agonized shiver. I chance a glance back at the door and gasp in shock at the bloody clawprint I had left behind.

“No, no, no!” I mutter in a panic, quickly cleaning it up. Afterward, I glance at my claws and notice the blood I had wiped away from my snout still clung to them.

I groan and rub them clean on my already ruined dress. “This stupid night can’t get any worse!” I shriek, unsure if I wanted to let out another blast of flame or give up and finally break down crying.

Soon, the image of my bloody claws fades from my vision, and I take a moment to look around myself, panting heavily as I fight to regain my breath.

Yep. The Treehouse is still just as beautiful as it always is. Although? I could swear that the room looks bigger now…? I don’t know how, but it does.

You know? One of these days I’m gonna finally snap and just ask Ocellus how the Tree’s magic works. Of course, that requires I actually talk to Ocellus which, um…no.

I shake that thought out of my head and carefully examine my wings. “No swelling, so that’s good. Eugh…! That’s a nasty color,” I observe, grimacing at the splotch of purple crawling along my left wing. “Yep. Definitely not flying anytime soon.”

Maybe I could try finding Zecora…? Nope. Nope. With all that roaring outside, I ain’t trekking through the Everfree anytime soon!

Besides! I should be able to start flying again by morning! … I think.

“Great,” I grumble, rubbing my tired eyes. “Gonna have to camp here for the night. That’s just great.”

I then walk further into the Treehouse, gazing longingly at all the magnificent gemstones until my stomach gives a low growl. As humiliated as I feel about that, I’m not too mad since nocreature was around to hear it. That said, I really should have eaten more at the party.

A light giggle echoes in the air, and I swiftly turn around only to see nothing. “W-What was that?” I wonder openly, casting a suspicious glance across the crystalline walls.

Something moves in my periphery, and I instantly turn toward it and spot the staircase leading to the second floor. … Wait, was that staircase always there? I thought it was in the other room?

Okay, I must have hit my head harder than I thought. Maaaybe, I should go lie down?

For a split second, the urge that led me to the Treehouse flares up again, but it quickly fades away once I step toward the newly moved structure.

Cautiously, I begin marching up the stairway, keeping my wings folded against my back so as to not catch on the walls. Once I’m halfway up, I stop and look to the side.

Reflected back at me in the crystalline wall is nothing more than myself. By the Scepter, I’m a mess. My dress is ruined, my makeup is running; my eyes are bloodshot…!

The longer I stare at myself, the worse I feel, but I can’t muster the strength to look away.

Eventually, I let out a weary sigh and scowl miserably, wondering if I should just plop myself down on the stairs and go to sleep here. Why not? Wouldn’t be the first time I slept on a staircase, I joke to myself, not feeling better in the slightest.

Just before I decide to use the stairs as an impromptu bed, I notice something flicker within the crystals. I then reach out and place my claw against the wall, leaning closer for a better look, but as soon as I do, a lavender light shoots out from behind my reflection and continues up the stairway.

“What the…!?” I mutter, following after it. Once I reach the second landing, I look around through all the rooms but find nothing.

Eventually, I stride onto the balcony, shivering when the chilly air brushes against my sore wings. The pain soon passes, and I quietly ponder, “What in the world was that?”

My answer comes in the form a soft knock.

“Huh!?” I gasp, looking in every direction for the source of the sound. Luckily, the noise repeats, and I hone in on it, turning my gaze to the floor.

Somehow! Someway! Princess Twilight Sparkle’s form reflects back to me, standing upright on the opposite side of the floor. She then greets me with a small wave and a casual, “Hello, Smolder.”

Holding up my claws defensively, I hurriedly take several steps back and growl, “W-What’s going on!?”

“Oops! My apologies,” it says, smiling shyly. “I didn’t intend to frighten you; I simply wanted to try a new method of appearance. One moment please!” it requests in Twilight’s voice.

The image then steps forward and seemingly rotates out of its side of the floor and onto mine, stopping a respectable distance from me.

Its appearance is a dead ringer for the Princess of Friendship, from the starburst cutie mark to the large, feathery wings. The only notable difference is that its body glitters as if composed of thousands of diamonds and floats just an inch off the ground.

Regardless, there’s no denying who it is I’m seeing.

“Y-You’re… You’re…!?”

“The Tree of Harmony! At your service,” it confirms, giggling as it bows politely.

My knees quiver so much that I almost fall to them, but I barely manage to stay standing as I whimper, “Y-Y-You really are alive!? I-I thought that Sombra…!?”

The Spirit of the Tree places its hooves back on the ground and gives me a somber smile. “Though I know it likely won’t comfort you, I will confess that he nearly succeeded.”

“But you’re alive!? Y-You’re here!?” I acknowledge, stepping closer to the sparkling apparition. “Right?”

“That I am!” it adamantly assures. “For all the mindless terror that King Sombra spread, he could never hope to quell the embers of Friendship. Hee-hee,” it titters. “And guess just what managed to resurrect me?”

“‘Resurrect’!? You mean you did die!?”

The Spirit blinks, conceding, “Mmm? Perhaps I misspoke. For that I apologize. ‘Resurrection’ is not the correct word. ‘Reincarnation’ is decidedly more appropriate.”

It taps the crystal floor, sending waves of color dancing along its prismatic surface and throughout the entire Treehouse. “Through the bonds of love you and your friends share, my body was reincarnated into this form,” it explains calmly. It then giggles again and finishes, “So, while the body is different, the Spirit remains!”

But you did die, I can’t bring myself to argue. I out-lived you! I out-lived the Tree of Harmony! I realize, feeling my whole body tremble as my breath freezes in my chest.

The Tree’s smile dies instantly and is replaced by a mournful frown. “Smolder?” it murmurs.

I don’t know what to say, let alone what to think! All I know is that at least one of my friends is still here, and with that news in my mind, I lunge for the Spirit and pull it into a crushing hug.

“You’re alive!” I rejoiced, trying desperately to hold back my tears. They spill out anyway, but at this point I don’t care as I’m too busy repeating, “You’re alive! You’re really alive!”

I feel a pair of hooves tenderly wrap around me, hugging me back. The moment said hooves touch my wings, I immediately sigh in relief as the pain in the appendages subsides significantly.

“Yes, I am alive,” it confirms, moving to pull out of the embrace.

I grip the Spirit even tighter, keeping it from leaving me.

Although surprised at first, the Spirit of the Tree smiles sadly and goes back to hugging me gently, whispering, “I am alive, Smolder; it’s okay… You’re safe here. You’re safe here,” it promises.

I just let out another quiet sob, and wrap my healed wings around my friend, holding them even closer. “Don’t go…! Please don’t go!”

By the Scepter, I sound pathetic.

I think to myself as I grip the spirit tighter.

“I won’t,” the Spirit soothes as it wrapped its own wings around me. “I’ve wanted to talk with you for a while now… I can certainly wait a little longer if you’re not yet ready.”

I nod and continue crying into the Spirit’s shoulder.


I don’t know how long I spend crying, but eventually, I stop and wipe my eyes dry. And although I want so badly to keep holding the Spirit, I slowly let go anyway, keeping my eyes locked on the ground.

“I’m— I’m sorry,” I apologize weakly. “I’m sorry!”

A hoof raises my chin back up to meet the eyes of Princess Twilight, but it’s the Tree’s voice that soothes, “You need not apologize for seeking comfort from your distress. I am more than willing to aid you, my friend,” it promises with a smile.

My distress? I ponder, feeling my claws clench instinctively. I don’t— I’m not the one who needs comfort! I want to scream despite my throat feeling dry as a desert. I shouldn’t need comfort… Everything should be okay. We should all be okay! He should be okay!

I let out yet another pathetic sob, and once again, the Spirit’s hoof gently wipes my tears away.

“I reiterate,” it begins calmly. “Do not feel guilty for desiring solace. You deserve serenity just as much as your friends do; do not believe otherwise.”

A part of me wants to argue, but I can’t bring myself to do so. I just feel so tired… Heh. Maybe I should have fallen asleep on the staircase, I suppose, coughing slightly.

“Would you care for you some water?” the Tree inquires.

“That, uh…” I clear my throat again. “That would be nice. If— If it’s not too much trouble,” I add, rubbing my shoulder self-consciously.

“It’s no trouble at all,” it reassures, tapping a hoof against the floor. A pool of light forms at the point of impact, and from it's depths emerges a crystalline cup filled to the brim with water.

“W-Whoa. That’s nifty,” I comment, gratefully accepting the drink. After taking a large sip of the cooling liquid, I bashfully add, “I, uh, didn’t know there was a kitchen in here. Or a bathroom,” I end, feeling a little awkward at still not knowing where all the rooms in the Treehouse were.

“I don’t,” the Tree nonchalantly divulges. “I’ve been meaning to install both those facilities inside these walls, but it’s been a bit slow-going so far. Rearranging the rooms and expanding the halls are easy enough, but…” It laughs nervously and concludes, “Piping is a fair bit more complicated than roots.”

“Says the ancient, god tree,” I counter, unable to suppress a smile.

“I wouldn’t call myself a ‘god,’” the Tree argues, smiling as well. “I’m merely a tree. Er? Treehouse, I suppose.”

“Oh? Is that what you are, huh?”

“Well? I suppose I am a fair bit more…? ‘Unique,’” it settled for. “Than most other treehouses. But beyond that, the only other thing that I claim to be is your friend.”

I strain to keep the smile on my face as I mutter, “I’m glad your my friend…”

I couldn’t sound any more pathetic if I tried.

As if on cue, the Spirit places a hoof on my shoulder, promising, “You are not pathetic, Smolder.”

I blink in surprise, but realization swiftly dawns on me. “You just read my mind, didn’t you?” I guess, frowning angrily.

“Yes. I… I see that it makes you uncomfortable,” the Tree acknowledges, looking away ashamedly.

It does. But I don’t say that. I don’t even know what I can say. What should I say? Everything I’ve said or done so far tonight has just made everything worse.

By the Scepter…! What am I gonna do when I get back to the School!? W-What am I going to do when I see her—When I see all of them!?

“I am sorry, Smolder.”

I’m completely blindsided by the Tree’s words, but I quickly recollect myself and ask, “W-What?”

I know I’m technically talking to the Tree of Harmony, but I almost gag when I see the face of my ex-Headmare turn back to me, marred by what I can only describe as pain.

“I am sorry,” the Tree repeats morosely. “I…cannot solve your problems. Nor can I assuage your heartache.”

Oh. That’s what the Tree means.

“N-Nahhh!” I groan, forcing as confident a grin as I can. “You don’t need to apologize for that! Heh-heh. Besides, I’m fine! No problem here…”

“You are afraid of yourself, Smolder,” it just has to say. “Or more specifically, the part of yourself that—”

I step away from the Spirit, barking, “I’m fine! I’m not— I’m not afraid of anything, okay!? I-I’m not!”

I am. But I just… I just don’t want to admit it. I can’t admit it. I can’t even think about! By the Scepter, I don’t want to think about it! I just want everything to be normal again, but— But— It can never be normal again, can it!?

The Tree reaches out with a hoof, but after a moment, it quietly places it back down. “This is what I mean when I say cannot solve your problems.”

“I said don’t worry about it!” I growl, flinching back at the anger in my tone. “The only problem I’ve got is…” For a full minute, I struggle to think of something to finish that sentence with. “The only problem I’ve got is that I, er, need to bake some, uh, a-apology muffins…?” I finally manage to squeak out.

I face-claw, letting out quiet swear as I do.

Mercifully, the Tree doesn’t reprimand me for my cussing and instead acknowledges, “That is not your only problem, Smolder.”

“I know,” I whisper, whipping my tail anxiously.

A somber silence falls across the gemstone walls of the Treehouse of Harmony, but soon, it’s Spirit resumes, “This is why I cannot call myself a ‘god.’”

It steps closer and continues, “I can grant you safety from the monsters of the Everfree. I can mend the injuries you’ve sustained within the hour,” it adds, rubbing a comforting hoof over my thankfully healed wings. “And? I can be a comforting presence in your time of strife…” the Tree concludes, bringing me into a warm hug that I quickly reciprocate.

“But I cannot soothe the fears that grasp your heart,” it bemoans, leaning back to give me that same pained look from a moment ago. “That task belongs to another.”

“I have no idea what that means,” I bluntly confess. Immediately after saying that, I pull the Tree back into the hug, whimpering, “But I don’t care! I-I’m just h-happy you’re alive! A-And that you’re here!”

“I am here. Smolder? I. Am. Here,” the Tree promises, hugging me back. “Your friends will be here too.”

“N-Not for long,” I sob, barely holding myself back from having a full breakdown.

“But they will still be with you.”

But not forever, I think, refusing to say that aloud.

In fact? I don’t say anything aloud. There is nothing more I want to say because if I did say anything else, I’d have to… I’d have to say it. But I don’t want to say it! I don’t want to admit I’m afraid! I don’t want to talk about what I’m afraid of! I just… I don’t.

So, like usual, I just keep saying nothing. I just keep holding the Tree as close as I can. I just shut my eyes, drown out the world, and cry into its shoulder.

There’s nothing else I can do.

“It will be okay, Smolder,” it says, falling silent as it soothingly rubs my back once more.

A few minutes pass as the Tree of Harmony continues holding the dragon, but soon, it shifts its gaze downward upon feeling the presence of three ponies and a cockatrice enter into the floor below.

The Tree then sends a small pulse of light throughout the Treehouse, and it eventually passes over the students.

It took a quite a bit of “convincing,” but Shimmy Shake ultimately agrees to not rush up the stairs in a mad quest to find and comfort Smolder.

And much to the Tree’s gratitude, both Vellum Codex and Strawberry Scoop were already planning exactly what it wanted them to do. And soon after catching his breath, Vellum and Edith quickly rush back out into the Everfree Forest, leaving the remaining two mares to sit and await for his return.

After ensuring that his path would be unobstructed, the Tree returns its attention to Smolder, giving her one last reassuring squeeze before pulling away.

“Smolder?” it begins calmly. “Please look at me.”

It takes a second for me to register the Tree’s voice, so I quickly wipe both my eyes and my snout, snapping out of whatever daze I had just been in. Sniffling, I then look up back up and meet Twilight Sparkle’s kind, violet eyes.

I never realized how much I missed those eyes, I think to myself. By the Scepter, I miss my old Headmare. She would know what to do, wouldn’t she? But? So would the Tree of Harmony. A-And it said that it…doesn’t. So then…

“What am I supposed to do?” I mewl, feeling my wings sag in despair.

The Tree takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. “Smolder, I have said it once, but it bears repeating… I cannot bring you the serenity you deserve.”

Translation: You will be alone, and there’s nothing I, you, or anyone else can do about it.

“But,” the Tree continues right before I completely snap. “Despite this, I can still help, however little.”

“O-Okay. Wh-What can I do then?”

“Simple. Do not hide away your heart, Smolder,” it advises, smiling reassuringly. “I am here, and I am listening. So please, Smolder… Please talk to me.”

“But I don’t— I don’t want to talk about this,” I whimper as much to myself as to the Tree. “I-I don’t. I just— I don’t!” I cry, voice cracking.

The Tree gives me the single most pitying stare that I’ve ever seen in my life. “I understand,” it says softly, holding a hoof to its heart. “Speaking about one’s problems is not as easy as many might think.”

I sniffle again.

“In fact?” it continues. “It is one of the most painful things a creature can do. To speak of one’s pain is to acknowledge that the pain is there. And to recognize and accept that you are afraid is… Well?” The Tree falls silent for a moment before concluding, “Talking to someone—anyone!—about the troubles that plague your heart…? It often hurts far more than it helps.”

“You’re not…wrong,” I let slip out. The Tree says nothing further, prompting me to scream, “I don’t want it to be real! I just w-w-want everything to go back to normal! Why can’t everything be—” My voice cuts out on me.

I pant heavily, frantically swiping at the tears that cloud my eyes. “Please— Please don’t make me talk about it,” I plead.

For one glorious minute, I believe the Tree is actually going to do that. But, sadly… The minute passes, and it gently argues, “Regardless of whatever pain it brings… Acknowledging your heartache is, and always will be, the first step along the path to healing.”

Deep down, I know that the Tree is right. Just like Headmare Starlight is right. Just like all my other professors are right.

I can’t keep— I can’t keep holding this all in. But I want to. By the Scepter, I want to! I don’t want to admit that I’m scared! I don’t want to accept that I’m going to lose my friends! I don’t want to wake up one day and forget who my friends were!

I am a dragon!

I… I’m not supposed to be scared…

But I am.

“I am scared.”

Just three little words. It was just three little words. I barely even whispered them. But after saying those three stupid, little words…? I… I don’t know what I feel.

But it’s certainly not relief.

After a moment, I surprise even myself by suddenly inquiring, “You’re— You’re immortal, right?”

“I am,” the Tree confirms, keeping a wing held around me, but granting me some extra space to breathe.

I nod rapidly, asking, “How— How do you deal with…it.”

“Death?”

I think my entire body spasms at hearing that accursed word, but since I’m too busy trying not to hyperventilate, I don’t know for certain.

The Tree gives me that same pitying smile from before and laments, “And this is why I cannot bring an end to your fears.”

My mind grinds to a halt due to how utterly unprepared I was for that response. “W-What?” I ask, tilting my head in confusion. I guess I really am un-helpable, huh? I suppose.

“Smolder, I am…not…like…you,” the Tree murmurs slowly, carefully. It continues mulling over its words before explaining, “Life and…the other thing,” it says, avoiding the other word for my sake. “Are different for me.”

“H-How so? You… Haven’t you been around for millennia?”

“I have existed for just shy of twelve hundred years,” it clarified, smiling fondly.

“Really? Only twelve hundred years?” I ask, secretly glad to be dodging the real conversation for just a little longer.

“The Pillars planted me just before they sentenced themselves into Limbo,” it elaborates. “If you recall, Princesses Celestia and Luna were still fillies at the time. Long before they assumed leadership over the land of Equestria.”

“Whoa! You’re younger than the Princesses?” I laugh weakly. “That’s weird, but… Pretty cool too.”

“I suppose it is. Now? If you’re done dodging the real conversation?” the Tree slyly comments.

Annnd, there we go. Why couldn’t we have dodged it for just a little longer?

“Twelve hundred years is still a long time,” I acknowledge, nervously fiddling with my tail. “So? Wouldn’t that mean you… You…”

“Yes,” it confirms with not a hint of emotion. “I have. I have lived in the Everfree Forest for my entire existence,” the Tree continues, turning its gaze out toward the forest-in-question as a particular stallion and cockatrice finally escaped its depths. “And in that time, I have seen creatures tear themselves apart. I have seen gorges form and rivers shift. I have seen trees wither and collapse while more simply grow in their place. The same can be said for sentient life as well,” it concludes grimly.

I wince, forcing myself to ask once again, “S-S-So…? H-How do you… Deal with it then?”

“In my own way,” the Tree answers warily. “And I assure you, you are not capable of emulating it.”

I can’t bring myself to say anything more, so all I do is stare at the glittering phantasm.

I guess it works because less than a minute later, the Tree sighs and reveals, “I can feel everycreature’s hearts, Smolder. From the depths of the ocean to the heavens above… I can feel the souls of every living being in this world.”

Any other time, I would be practically exploding in wonder at just how awesome that is. What keeps me from doing that though, is that the Tree of Harmony sounded so scared when it said that.

“But it’s not just their life that I feel,” it rambled onward. “I can feel their love and their hate. Their joy and their sorrow. Their hope and their fear. And above all else, I can feel the bonds that they share with their loved ones,” the Tree says, placing a gentle hoof against my heart.

The Tree soon retracts its hoof, but I slowly reach up and hold my own claw over the spot it had touched. It feels…warm.

“Smolder? My purpose is not just to protect this world,” the Tree of Harmony declares. “It is to also prosper the love shared between others and spread the Magic of Friendship across all lands.”

“Heh. Well, you’re pretty good at it, not gonna lie,” I compliment, grinning.

The Tree grins back, saying, “Thank you.”

I can’t help but let out a tiny, amused snort.

“But,” it continues as its smile slowly fades away. “I can also feel when the love between creatures dies out. And that feeling? The loss of a bond? The extinguishing of the Magic of Friendship?”

I feel a slight draft blow through the Treehouse as its Spirit ominously mutters, “That is unacceptable to me.”

“Is that how you do it then?” I wonder, rubbing my shoulder to stave off the chill. “It doesn’t matter how many creatures…” Since I can’t bring myself to finish that thought, I abruptly end, “So long as you can help spread friendship?”

“Not…quite,” it argues, not meeting my eye. “The truth, Smolder, is that I care very little for when lives leave this world.”

“What?” I gasp, not sure if I had heard correctly.

“My purpose is to spread the Magic of Friendship,” it reiterates. “Everything I do is to fulfill that purpose. It’s…difficult to explain this,” the Tree states almost apathetically. “The best way that I can explain it, is that…? The loss of a life matters less to me than the loss of a bond. Be it one of friendship. Or one of love.”

That doesn’t make any sense to me at all. And any other time, I’d be more than willing to express that fact. But, right now? I’m way too tired to even begin arguing with the weird, omnipotent god tree.

“It is okay that you do not understand my way of thinking,” the Tree assures, giving me a calming smile. “As I told you before—I am not like you. Nor am I like the Princesses.”

“I don’t know about that. You remind me a lot of Princess Twilight; she was always saying things that confused the hay out of me too,” I joke dryly.

The Tree blinks and giggles happily. “I suppose so. Though I suspect I speak of books far less often.”

Okay. That gets a laugh out of me, and soon, the Tree starts laughing with me as well. I wish it could have lasted longer, but I fall silent far faster than I would have liked.

Eventually, I tear my eyes away from the Tree’s solemn smile and, perhaps on pure instinct, I feel my gaze instead drawn toward the balcony.

Beyond said balcony lies the Everfree Forest. And above the Everfree Forest is the night sky. And within the night sky is an ocean of stars.

I love those stars.

I love gazing at those stars.

I love counting all those stars.

I don’t want to watch them fade away.

I don’t want to outlive the stars.

I… I don’t want to outlive my friends.

I feel the Tree pull me into a hug just as my legs finally give out from beneath from me. I desperately cling to the Spirit as a pained whimper escapes my maw.

I don’t want to outlive my friends!

“It will be okay, Smolder,” the Tree whispers to me.

I have nothing to say to that. So, once again, I say nothing. I just bury my head into the Tree’s shoulder, and I cry.

I’m a dragon. I shouldn’t cry. And yet? Here I am doing it anyway.

Then again? I guess it’s okay to cry sometimes…right?

The Tree of Harmony simply holds Smolder again, allowing the dragon to let out all of her tears. The Tree then glances at the floor again, wincing regretfully at the two horrified mares listening below.

It took a considerably greater amount of effort to “convince” Shimmy Shake to stay put yet again.

Shortly thereafter, Smolder’s sobs abate, and she pulls away, rubbing at her eyes once again.

“I’m sorry, Smolder,” the Tree apologizes softly.

I take a deep breath and let it out slowly, returning my attention to my friend. “It’s okay… I get it.”

“I wish with all my being that I were the one fated to relieve your fears,” it says somberly. “But I am not. That task belongs to another,” it proclaims one last time.

“Oh, yeah? Who? Starlight?” I guess, a note venom in my voice.

“No.”

I have a feeling if I keep asking about this, the Tree will keep dodging the question and confusing me even more. And to be honest, I am not up for any more confusion.

I guess I just can’t be helped, can I? I suspect, turning my gaze back onto the stars. There’s nothing I can do. There’s nothing anyone can do. After all? If even the Tree of Harmony doesn’t know what to do…?

Something blue flickers outside, but before I can question, the Tree presses a gentle hoof against my cheek and turns my face back to it.

“What am I going to do?” I whimper despondently.

“Heal,” it answers aloofly. “You will heal. But? To do so, you must first speak of your fears.”

The Tree takes a step back from me, and I feel a slight flicker of panic rise in my chest. Almost immediately, I feel another breeze blow through the room, and I calm back down.

“Smolder,” the Tree resumes soothingly. “It is okay to be afraid. But I beg of you to stop holding these fears inside! You must not hide your heart, Smolder.”

“Besides, I can’t just spend our time together always being paranoid that Gallus isn’t okay,” I remember Silverstream telling me all that time ago. “If I do then… Then my fear will just overshadow my love.”

Why did I have to yell at her? W-Why did I chase her away? Why did—

I break out of my thoughts when the Tree starts walking out onto the balcony. “Hey, wait!” I call out, hastily running after it. “Where are you going!?”

“For what is about to transpire, I must not be present,” the Tree of Harmony elaborates, pausing to afford me the chance to catch up. “I am sorry, Smolder. But I truly am not able to assuage your fears.”

“But what am I going to do!?”

The Tree gives me another comforting hug. “You are a clever dragon,” it compliments, leaning back to give me a calm smile. “And your friends love you just as much as you love them. Talk to them, and they shall talk to you,” it ends, winking.

“…I’m s-scared,” I admit, grasping the balcony railing for support.

“I know. But more importantly? You are not alone,” the Tree of Harmony promises before fading away in a cloud of sparkles.

I let out a sob and wipe my eyes again. Once my vision is clear, I stare back up at the sky.

There are so many stars.

So many lovely, beautiful stars.

And I love them.

Just like I love my friends.

My grip on the railing tightens as I hold my breath, fighting to not break down again. I then let my breath out slowly.

I hear a knocking behind me, and I go still, feeling my blood freeze in my veins.

No. No-no-no! Not yet! I’m not ready yet!

I turn ever so slightly and meet the soft blue eyes of my best friend.

I want to run. I want to scream! I want so much to panic!

By the Scepter, I’m so scared!

But…I do nothing. I just stand there, staring at him.

He looks scared too, I realize.

And yet, in spite of this, Gallus still gives me the best smile he can muster as he peacefully greets, “Hey.”

I can’t hide anymore. I can’t run anymore! I’m tired of running. I’m tired of being scared. And above all else, I’m tired of not being with my friends.

Congratulations, Headmare Starlight. Congratulations, Silverstream. Congratulations, Tree of Harmony. You all get your wish.

I’m not going to hide my heart this time.

“H-Hey,” I say, feeling my wings twitch nervously.

I’m so scared.

And I just know that this is not going to be a fun conversation.

Comments ( 2 )

If anyone wants to know how the original between Gallus and smolder conversation went well your going to need to read summer scripts https://www.fimfiction.net/story/467104/the-bonds-of-love chapter9 as the conversation that happens is in there story this is just a smolder centred of those events while carrying events from my bonds of love what if story.

So next chapter it’s gonna be a bit different on a few key moments

Everyone I messed up a bit continuity wise will clean it up when I get a chance

Login or register to comment