• Published 30th Jul 2020
  • 1,312 Views, 228 Comments

Only the Broken, Only the Cursed (please read blog post) - DougtheLoremaster



8 years have passed since that fateful test, and Twilight has been taken under the wing of Celestia; to become the next heir to the throne. However, a Nightmare from the past will challenge that right.

  • ...
4
 228
 1,312

Chapter 29- The Flames of War Part 2

The Changeling Queen shook her head in disbelief at the devastation around her. As she did so her chitinous carapace cricked and clacked with each erratic movement. There’s no way. The entire room lay in smoldering ruins, what should have been impossible to destroy now reduced to mere ashes. The walls of the homestead were scorched from the unbearably intense fire. Turning, she stared at the frozen form of the enraged nightmare that stood before her, locked within a temporal loop.

3 seconds. A mere 3 seconds had elapsed, before Chrysalis had managed to bind Twilight within a time shield, removing her from time and space; effectively freezing her in place.

Within those 3 seconds, her rage had completely ravaged the interior. Fortunately, Chrysalis had managed to foresee the fires and wrapped the Four Horsemares within their own shields, foregoing her own. Raising a hoof to her face, she felt the branding of such hatred, now a running scar from her left eye down to her cheek and creeping down her neck.

“What a monster.”

Her horn glowed with a lime green radiance, as her mind recalled something she had once been told by Celestia.

***

Celestia laughed in a drunken stupor as Chrysalis asked her in a slurred voice.

“Why do shu keep chelling her to kill shu? If War’s own World-Shplitting Axe can’t do it, what makes you think a shimple alicornborn can?”

“Ho,oh hehee hic!”

The two lay on the granite floor of Chrysalis’s bedroom chamber, surrounded by dozens of empty glass bottles that had once held “liquid gold”; the cider of the gods. For the past few hours, the two had taken to guzzling the sacred elixir, nicked from Clover’s personal stash.

Though not fatal, the elixir was known to have two unusual side effects within mortals. One was the inability to conceal the truth. And the other-

“Hee hee, oh ho! I never thought she could Chrysi! Ha ha hee ho!”

-Was hours of uncontrollable fits of laughter.

“I haha teehee, I told her to kill ahaha me, because heehee I was the only one haha hoho hee, that her anger wouldn’t destroy!”

Chrysalis laughed.

“What are you shalking about?”

***

One hour later, Chrysalis, still physically buzzed by the cider, looked solemnly sober. She stared at the giddy form of Celestia in absolute disbelief at what she had said.

“To reshet reality like that…’Tia, you can’t be sherious.”

“Hehe haha, Oh, I am Chrysi. Hundreds of thousands of teehee times to ha haha date.”

“Doesh she remember?”

“Oh hoho, haha hic no, not at all. No creature does heh heh but me.”

Despite the raucous laughter, Celestia wasn’t smiling. On the contrary, she appeared to be mortified by the very words she spoke.

“Haha I’ve seen it hehe play out, oh hoho, I’ve watched her anger destroy everything. And then heh heh we always end up back haha here again, Chrysi. Reliving it all once more bwahahaha an ouroboros of reality. Heehee.”

“How did a mortal get shuch power?”

The light in Celestia’s eyes went out in an instant. She giggled somberly and shook her head slowly before replying.

“Heh, You don’t want to know, Chrysi.”

Chrysalis was taken aback by the statement. Thanks to the magic of the cider, Celestia was unable to lie and yet for her to utter such a statement to a deity, made Chrysalis even thirstier for a way to slake her curiosity. Again she asked.

“Celestia, shell me, how did Twilight gain the ability to reshet all of reality?”

Breaking into a bout of uncontrolled laughter as her dead eyes tried to avoid eye contact with Chrysalis, Celestia bit her lip and refused to say a word.

An annoyed expression on her face, Chrysalis demanded an answer. There should have been no reason for such silence; surely there was nothing she, Queen Chrysalis, the Goddess of Time and Fate, couldn’t handle.

“‘Tia don’t shmake me invoke the powers that be, jusht look at me and anshwer my queshtion. How exshactly did Twilight Sparkle gain such a power?”

A single tear rolled down Celestia’s face before she stared directly into Chrysalis’s eyes and said just five words amidst the giggles and laughter that ensued.

“Haha You heehee gave it to heh ha ha hahaha her.”

***

Chrysalis stared at the frozen form of the Nightmare that was Twilight; thinking about that night. Though it had taken many hours, amidst her laughter, Celestia had revealed everything to her that night. Even though she had a firm grasp on the reality of the situation, Chrysalis still could not believe such a horrific force could exist. A never-ending nightmare, huh? This poor creature. Did her hoof just move?

Watching in complete silence, Chrysalis observed the time-frozen form of Twilight seemingly shiver; slowly at first, but quickly growing in velocity. Has she already read my magic? You would ask me to protect such a monster?

She watched, in mortified fascination as her magic was drawn into the Nightmare before her and the stasis effect quickly faltered and faded; completely shattering within seconds. Chrysalis’s eyes narrowed in annoyance as Twilight roared in an incensed rage. Her horn began to glow with forbidden magic. Damn you, Tia! You owe me for this!

***

Thoroughly exhausted, the Changeling Queen stood unsteady on her four hooves; on the ground before her lay the permanently shattered top half of her horn. On Chrysalis’s back, one of her wings had simply vanished, while her face sported an eternal branding of flame. Twilight’s Alicorn form lay crackling with electricity, before the panting Chrysalis. By my Mother’s fury! I barely held my own.

Twilight’s body was riddled with scars, newly forged by the obscene current that had coursed through her, bursting through her flesh as it overloaded the Alicorn’s body. Damn it, did I go too far? That’s when she noticed a faint tremor in Twilight’s fallen form. Followed by a strange groan, as though suffering from a hangover.

In absolute disbelief, Chrysalis watched Twilight stagger to her hooves, clearly in pain from the current still crackling in her mane and tail.

“Wh-what happened?”

Glancing around her in confusion, a look of realization dawned on her as she stared up at the towering form of Chrysalis.

“Ohno, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry!”

Sighing, Chrysalis used what remained of her horn to call forth two bottles of liquid gold. What a brat.I have my work cut out for me, don’t I?

“Here. Relax, I’m not mad.”

One thing’s for sure Tia. She is definitely your spawn.

The two sat amidst the absolute carnage and shared some cider, as Twilight’s tears slowly subsided and Chrysalis explained to the mortified Alicorn what had happened.

***

In the depths of the seemingly infinite castle, the young dragon slept, unaware of the vibrant yellow eyes watching him. A strangely intangible serpentine-like form was having a conversation with itself.

“Hm. He certainly does match the description Celestia gave me, but is this infant really compatible with my venom? I mean he doesn’t even have wings yet. Aunt Solara found hers easy enough, what to do...if I wait too long the others will leave me behind again. I suppose I should talk to him... Hey, baby dragon! Wake up.”

Spike’s eyes flew open and he groggily looked around in confusion. He was so sure that somepony had been speaking to him, and yet there was no creature present. Weird.

“Hey! You! Yes you, the baby dragon. Stop ignoring me!”

Was he going crazy or perhaps he was just missing Twilight that much, why did he keep hearing that voice? Ugh, get it together. Twilight will be back soon. Just go back to sleep. Rolling over, Spike found himself face to face with a mirrored feminine version of himself.

The copy spoke once more, her rancid breath blasting Spike in the face; stinging his eyes.

“About time you noticed me, Spike.”

The small dragon’s eyes went wide in surprise. Nopony but Twilight ever called him by name. He had a sneaky suspicion it was a royal decree, Twilight, however, insisted it was because he was hers and hers alone.

“How do you know my name? Who are you?”

The grin on the female dragon’s face grew large before the entire form dissolved into a caustic smog and reformed as a mare.

“My name is Acidini, the youngest daughter of Lunari, Celestial Magic of the Moon. Apparently, you and I are fated to be partners in magic, nice to meet you.”

“Wh-what?”

***

Fluttershy poured some warm fresh-brewed ginseng tea, watching as Solara, at her behest, played pattycake with Pinkie Pie.

“Patty cake, patty cake, baker’s mare,

“Baking a cupcake with tender care…~”

Pausing, Solara began to converse with Pinkie. Having taken the form of a mare made entirely of fire, the Celestial Magic of the Sun held a conversation with Pinkie. Solara, using a voice that mimicked Fluttershy’s own, encouraged her to open up.

“Cupcakes are special to you, aren’t they?”

“Um, y-yeah, uh...In go the eggs, and the flour-”

“It wasn’t your fault, you know.”

All life drained from Pinkie’s eyes. Her voice just as flat and lifeless, she whispered.

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

It wasn’t just her voice, but her mane had completely deflated, and her face expressionless; Pinkie had completely shut down. Fluttershy felt bad seeing the defensive mechanism trigger within her daughter. To avoid pain, Pinkie chose to feel nothing. And seeing it killed Fluttershy a little each time, tearing her soul asunder. In that state, it was impossible to reach her, but much to Fluttershy’s surprise, Solara didn’t give up. Intent on achieving a certain result, the magical entity aggressively pursued the topic, rather than backing down, demanding of Pinkie.

“What could you have done?”

The words were spoken with a ferocity that matched the flames that composed the entity’s body. Its eyes were narrowed in determination and though its lips never moved, the voice was clear and concise. As Pinkie stared at it in silence Solara repeated her question; this time with even more intensity.

“Tell me. What could you have done to prevent your sister’s slaughter that night?”

Comments ( 21 )

Ok, I’m kinda confused.

10867318
Ok, one is what’s with twilight?

10867680
PTSD. This entire story is based on PTSD; the effects leading to it and the aftermath it left on my mind. Twilight's in-universe reason for ptsd is her brother's maimed and desecrated corpse. I will not delve further into that except in future chapters.

10867681
Another one is what with the dragon?

10867696
The one that was talking to spike. There were no other dragons I was aware of.

10867767
it's not a dragon and Solara is the same type of entity. The corporeal and tangible (physical) form of magic itself, not alive by our standards but still alive. Acidini is as stated the daughter (again not in our standards) of Lunari, the Celestial Magic of the Moon. Beyond that lies spoilers.

10867815
Then why did it say it was a mirrored feminine version of spike?

10868048
Because like solara, she can change her form and she did it to taunt and startle him. As the name suggests Acid-ini, Acidini is the magic of corrosion and poison.
And it very clearly shows she can change her form at ease. The grin on the female dragon’s face grew large before the entire form dissolved into a caustic smog and reformed as a mare.

10868198
Ohh. Is acid how she transforms?

10868317
She is composed of smog. Just as Solara is composed of solar fire.

10868434
a poisonous fog normally caused by pollution in cities

10868438
Oh ok. Also, what’s with solara?

10868641
She seems to be acting hostile towards pinkie.

10869289
No. She's just providing some "tough love"

10869320
none to be found here...or is there?...I suppose you'll have to read on to find out.

10870362
I see what you did there.

Login or register to comment