• Published 30th Jul 2020
  • 1,312 Views, 228 Comments

Only the Broken, Only the Cursed (please read blog post) - DougtheLoremaster



8 years have passed since that fateful test, and Twilight has been taken under the wing of Celestia; to become the next heir to the throne. However, a Nightmare from the past will challenge that right.

  • ...
4
 228
 1,312

Chapter 28- the Flames of War part 1

“-So anyway, a lot of weird stuff has happened tonight and I think it may involve this Twilight pony. There’s something strange about her, you know?”

“Pinkie…”

Pinkie Pie set down the half-eaten cupcake, before looking up at Maud and continuing her thoughts.

“Like I know her from somewhere like we’ve met before or something. Maybe in another world, we have met, maybe we were even friends, I don’t know.”

“Pinkie…”

Pinkie Pie’s fluffy mane deflated as her sister gingerly pushed the cupcake forward.

“Maud-”

Pinkie’s voice was a whisper as she glanced momentarily at the half-eaten cupcake, trembling as though she was afraid of it. Looking up at her big sister, Pinkie pleaded softly.

“Please. Not yet. Just...a little longer. Please.”

“Pinkie, our time is up once more. You need to finish your cupcake. Mom is waiting.”

Maud’s face was as passive as it always was, and yet a strange sadness seemed to emanate from her as she spoke.

“The time has come, you need to finish your cupcake, little sister.”

“Maud please…I...Don’t want to lose you again.”

A small, sad smile flitted across Maud’s passive face.

“I am not going anywhere. Boulder and I will be waiting for you just like always Pinkie.”

Tears welled in her eyes as Pinkie reached for the cupcake. The cupcake had a pink swirl of icing on top of a spongy pink cake; the icing was decorated with sprinkles that resembled multi-colored pebbles. By itself, it was rather unassuming, but as Pinkie took a bite from it, she looked absolutely destroyed. After swallowing, there remained just one bite left and just before eating it, Pinkie stared her sister in her pale amethyst eyes.

“Maud? What’s it like...on the other side?”

Maud’s face didn’t change as she simply replied.

“There’s a bunch of rocks here.”

Pinkie smiled as she took the last bite, slowly chewing the soft, bouncy texture before swallowing.

“At least you’re happy.”

***

“That’s your daughter?”

Fluttershy stared at the sleeping form of Pinkie Pie; murmuring and drooling in her sleep. She smiled softly at the sight as Solara asked her the question.

“She is.”

“I don’t understand. Isn’t she the same age as you?”

“One year younger than me, actually.”

“Then why?”

A faraway look appeared in Fluttershy’s eyes as she mused out loud.

“Because when all you have is nothing, all it takes is a simple act of Kindness.”

Solara stayed silent as Fluttershy stared the entity in the eyes, she spoke in a strangely placid manner, as though seeing something no other could. Solara watched as tears fell unnoticed by Fluttershy.

“Pinkie’s not my only daughter. My other daughter had gray fur, the same age as me; her name was Maud, but she’s gone now.”
Fluttershy’s eyes hooded over momentarily as she sniffed.

“No parent wants to bury their child.”

She brightened as she noticed the confused reaction of the ancient magic.

“Pinkie and Maud, though sisters, never had a family. Oh, they had a mom and a dad. Two other sisters as well, but the two of them were far removed from the rest. Their family was more or less focused on what the family currently was, and for Pinkie and Maud; the pair were cast aside. And forgotten. As a result, the two fled from their home. And straight to me, both broken and sobbing. I took them in and cared for them, cooked for them, and encouraged their growth. They just started calling me mom, and so it stuck.”

Fluttershy’s watery eyes narrowed to reveal a mischievous glint.

“Everycreature thinks I’m a softie. Truth be told, I’m not a sweet mare. Believe it or not, I’m a delinquent, an outlaw; a deserter of Cloudsdale’s Wonderbolt Academy. Though, I didn’t leave quietly.”

Her voice changed, no longer soft and sweet, but slightly malicious in nature.

“No-”

She whispered with a cruel grin.

“They just fell to pieces, seeing me leave...didn’t they?”

“They certainly did. I remember that. Quite the spree you went on.”

Fluttershy blinked in complete surprise. Recovering quickly she demanded an explanation.

“You saw that? How? None of the witnesses were left…”

The draconic form merely chuckled; a rather peculiar sight to witness as it neither moved nor smiled in any fashion and yet Fluttershy could feel its laughter.

“Did it not seem strange to you that the sun rose at just the right moment and time to blind the guards and aid your escape?”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened in surprise.

“You were never alone.”

Solara’s eyes gleamed with familiar warmth.

“Celestia...is that you?”

Suddenly beside her, Fluttershy heard a groan and turned to see Pinkie Pie blinking and looking around, before staring at her. Her voice was squeaky, like normal and her mane as poofy as could be.

“Good morning Mom.”

Hugging Pinkie tightly, Fluttershy whispered warmly.

“Good morning sweetie.”

Pinkie winced as Fluttershy’s mane draped over her.

“Mom?”

“Yes, Pinkie?”

Whimpering as her fur began to singe, Pinkie squeaked out.

“Why is your mane on fire?”

***

The cursed battle-ax screamed through the air as it slammed down on the intruder’s head with a sickening *CRACK*. Twilight watched in a mixture of awe and horror as Chrysalis was knocked to the ground. Quickly she rose only to be given a simple warning by Trixie.

“Don’t get involved.”

“But Chrysalis-”

The words died in Twilight’s throat as she looked around and noticed that Sunset and Starlight were watching Cozy Glow’s attack; disappointment and disgust written on both of their faces. Trixie gave a sigh as Starlight, munching slowly on a potato chip, said simply.

“The question isn’t whether or not Lady Chrysalis will be fine. It’s whether or not War will pay dearly for this outburst of hers.”

Twilight watched as Cozy Glow’s sweet, innocent voice changed to a deeper and rage-filled one as she swung, blow after blow raining down on the prone form of Chrysalis. No longer was she acting like the sweet filly she had the appearance of, but the fearsome mare she actually was.

“She is mine!”

*Thwack*
“You can’t have her!”

*Thwack*
Again and again, the cursed blade came down shattering Chrysalis’s bones and gouging her flesh. Twilight watched as Chrysalis was reduced to a gruesome pile of bloody flesh and shattered bones. She noticed the others didn’t move, they just looked more and more distressed at the actions taken by the furious Pegasus.

Trixie didn’t seem all that concerned, turning her head to remark offhandedly, almost too casually, to Sunset.

“Don’t you think you should stop your partner, Pestilence? That mare is going to get herself killed, if she angers Lady Chrysalis any further, you know.”

Sunset looked about to cry. She seemed almost frantic at the display.

“I can’t. she won’t heed my commands in this state, Death!”

Twilight didn’t understand. Why was everypony so calm? And then Cozy Glow shouldered her massive ax once more. That’s when Twilight witnessed the blob of flesh pulse.

As she watched, all traces of the gruesome act started to reverse; resulting in Chrysalis being rebuilt in complete reversal. It was horrific and fascinating at the same time. After watching her form reassemble itself, the final eye of Chrysalis once more popped back into its socket, the look on the seer deity’s face; one of a placid calmness. Her words, though just as peaceful in tone, carried with them a dire threat.

“I allowed you this chance to vent, after what I did to you, but if you swing that ax once more at me, I shall make sure not even my mother or father can rebuild you.”

Before anypony could respond, Twilight watched as Sunset strode across the floor and smacked Cozy Glow right across the flank. Cozy Glow spun around and found herself staring into the furious eyes of Sunset.

“Go stand in a corner, War. Now!”

Instantly the fury in Cozy Glow’s eyes was gone as she saw the tears in Sunset’s. Immediately, she returned to her filly persona.

“Pest, I-”

“Now, War. I don’t want to hear it! We will talk about this later. I am far too angry to deal with you right now. Go. Stand in the corner until I say otherwise.”

Cozy Glow’s tiny wings drooped, and hanging her head she slowly walked towards a corner located near the kitchen. Twilight stood there, watching the strange display as Chrysalis said softly.

“How the mighty have fallen.”

Twilight was confused. Mighty? That child?

“Huh?”

Surprisingly it was Sunset who answered her.

“She wasn’t always the filly you see before you. No, there was a time she had the form of a fearsome mare; a devastating warrior, the true stuff of nightmares.”

Starlight, seeming to panic momentarily, furiously used her hoof to search her bag of chips, responded.

“Yeah, but it can’t be debated that she is still easily the strongest of all of us.”

Triumphantly, she pulled forth a chip that was so golden, and crispy she held it up to admire it, only to have it snatched from her hooves by Trixie. Promptly, Trixie ate it before casually agreeing with her.

“Oh, there’s no doubt. Huh?”

Starlight stared at her with tears in her eyes, whimpering sadly. Trixie rolled her eyes and her horn glowed brightly, causing an exact copy of the chip she ate to appear in Starlight’s hooves.

“Sorry, sweetie. I was just playing. Here you go.”

“I don’t understand. That filly is stronger than any of you?”

Immediately Starlight’s tears stopped and she happily nibbled on her treat. The crisis now averted as her partner joyfully enjoyed her eternal snack, Trixie turned to look at Twilight.

“You shouldn’t judge what you see at face value all the time. Things aren’t always what they seem. Pestilence?”

“Hm?”

“Can you call War over?”

“She is currently being punished, Death.”

“I understand that Pestilence, but-”

“No, You don’t!”

Within an instant, Trixie was thrown onto her back as a shaking, wild-eyed Sunset stood over her. Leaning down, Sunset roared in her face.

“I could have lost her!”

“Easy girl, put those away.”

Trixie’s eyes were narrowed, her voice little more than a growl. But Twilight noticed she wasn’t talking to Sunset. Starlight’s hackles had risen the instant Trixie was knocked down. It was then Twilight saw the five daggers that hovered around Sunset’s four legs and the one pressed to her throat.

It was like an instinct; one that had been beaten into her by her guardian. If you are unsure, determine the situation. Never act on impulse. Twilight observed it all, almost as if from a distance. Her eyes witnessed everything, from Starlight’s angry glare to the crazed eyes of Sunset, even the hesitant frown on Chrysalis’s own face. However, Twilight noticed that there was only one who didn’t seem concerned by the situation: Trixie.

The Unicorn was lying, prone, and open to any oncoming attack. and yet, she didn’t shiver or shake, and from what Twilight could hear her heartbeat was gentle, steady. She seemed perfectly content to let this scenario play out. Her face wasn’t anger-filled or one of panic, just one of sad acceptance; as though it had happened many times before.

It was then as Twilight pondered why this was, that Trixie did something that took everypony by surprise. Tilting her head up, Trixie winked at Starlight before sticking her tongue out and gently licking Sunset on the cheek. Blinking in disbelief at the sudden action, Sunset looked down at Trixie as though seeing her for the first time.

“Wh-what are you doing? What’s going on?”

Looking her square in her eyes, Trixie gave a disarming smile.

“I’m not your enemy, Pestilence.”

The words had an immediate effect on the room. For just a second all noise ceased and you could have heard a pin drop. Starlight’s glare softened, and the daggers vanished as Chrysalis gave a sad, knowing smile. Sunset’s expression changed to one of concern as she stumbled over an apology, while Starlight rushed in to give her a gentle hug. And off to the side, Twilight stared dumbfounded at the complete shift in tone; it was no longer tense, but the air felt light. As though an unfathomably heavy weight had been lifted off all present.

“I am so sorry, Death, I don’t know how I- I didn’t realize I- Did I hurt you?”

Twilight watched, stunned, as Trixie started to stagger to her hooves; that soft smile still on her face. The purple alicorn wanted nothing more than to vomit at what she saw. Before her eyes, Trixie’s fur withered and slowly flaked off her flesh exposing unsightly sores that had ripped open.

The blue unicorn staggered halfway to her hooves before stopping mid-rise and violent spasms rocked her frozen form. She hacked and coughed as a crimson-filled mucus flew from her horribly blackened mouth. Her barrel heaved in and out in an erratic fashion as the wheezing started within her clearly swollen throat. She seemed to be fighting for breath, and all the while her eyes had become bloodshot. The bared flesh on her legs split as lesions tore their way through the surface. Strangely enough, though, that smile never left her face.

Sunset’s horn glowed brightly and she muttered something Twilight couldn’t discern, but as she watched Trixie’s breathing became more steady, and soon the pain in her eyes had completely vanished. Even more startling was, as Twilight watched, Trixie whispered softly.

“Y. Pestis, huh? I’m so sorry you felt that cornered.”

Twilight couldn’t believe it. Huh? Isn’t she upset? Why isn’t even Starlight mad?

Starlight meanwhile had grabbed Sunset in the warmest hug, gently nuzzling her.

“We’re here for you. For you to use your namesake, oh Pestilence, what a terror you must have been seeing. It’s alright, we’re here. We’re here. Nopony is going to hurt her.”

Sunset sniffed and then, as if unable to hold it together anymore openly sobbed into Starlight’s shoulder.

“I was there again. I saw her standing over her and I-I couldn’t let her!”

Turning to Chrysalis, who was watching with silence; a look of sombered realization on the Goddess of Time’s face, and whispered.

“What is going on?”

Her horn starting to glow with blinding magic, Chrysalis answered her.

“She is fighting an enemy that never should have been, in a place that never should have existed, within a timeline that never happened.”

“I-I don’t follow.”

A blast of radiant green light exploded from Chrysalis’s horn.

Chrysalis seemed pensive for a moment, as Twilight looked around her in surprise. Starlight was frozen in mid-sentence, while Sunset’s tears rested in place on her cheeks. Trixie was in an impossible stance, as she had swiftly leapt to her hooves; the plague abated enough for her limbs to move, now she lay frozen in the air. Even the nearly silent sobbing in the kitchen corner had ceased, Cozy Glow was no longer crying or breathing. Time had stopped for all but them.

“Do you remember what happened to your brother?”

The words were hesitant, carrying an almost cautious tone. That hesitation was more than justified as an unholy firestorm filled the interior of the indestructible building just seconds later.