• Published 2nd Jul 2020
  • 13,514 Views, 1,287 Comments

Short Hand - Andrew Joshua Talon



The myriad misadventures of a plucky human in Equestria.

  • ...
39
 1,287
 13,514

Princess' Gambit

- - -

Fishing at the lake was peaceful. Just letting my line out, the bobber floating in the relatively still waters, the sun overhead... And enough hard apple cider to keep me occupied and relaxed.

Yes, it was a good day for fishing. It would have been nice to have company, but Big Macintosh and the Doctor didn't eat meat, and Spike ate jewels. So none of them were very interested in coming along. I guess I couldn't fault them for that.

Not like I was catching much anyway. I sighed and leaned back in my chair, just letting all my strain fade away.

"Hello Andrew Shepherd," said a melodious voice quite near to my ear.

"HOLY FUCKING BALL SHIT PUS-!" I bellowed, trying to get up and grab a weapon and run away-All at the same time. Well, as anyone will tell you, multitasking in a panic is a fool's errand. I just ended up in a tangled mess, my folding chair atop my head as I laid over my cooler. I groaned, as I heard rather nervous but beautiful laughter behind me. A moment or two later, I saw a white face with beautiful eyes enter my vision, aurora-like hair billowing out from the back of her head.

"Oh dear, are you all right?" Princess Celestia asked.

Well, so much for my dignity. I sighed and stood up, carefully setting my chair back up. I then sat down in it, checking my fishing line, before I responded.

"I'm fine," I replied. I gave her an unamused expression, which just made her laugh again. "You planned that, didn't you Princess?"

"No, which is what makes it wonderful!" Celestia laughed. She beamed at me, and trotted over to my side. "Caught anything yet?"

"No," I sighed. "Not that that's the point."

"It isn't?" Celestia asked, tilting her head curiously. I nodded back.

"It isn't," I replied. It seems as though my brain finally caught up with my irritation and pointed out the obvious: I was speaking very informally to the ruler of this planet. Well, for all intents and purposes. I tensed up. "I mean, Your Highness-"

She held up a hoof, and rested the tip against my lips. She shook her head.

"None of that," she said gently. "I intruded upon you. You should act as you wish around me."

Her voice was as gentle as usual, but there was... A slight plea in her eyes? Or maybe I was seeing things. After all, she was over a thousand years old. She could have control over her facial expressions and voice I couldn't even dream of. And that's not even getting into magic-

Damnit stop it brain. You're relaxing. The princess is fine with you relaxing. Calm. Down.

I very slowly nodded. "As you wish," I said wryly. Celestia raised an elegant eyebrow.

"Is that a reference to something?" She asked. I scratched the back of my head.

Okay, perhaps my paranoia wasn't unwarranted. Perhaps she could read my mind, much like her sister. Perhaps-

No! No, stop that.

"Yes, actually," I replied. "It's a book and a movie from my world called The Princess Bride..."

I explained the basics of the plot, and the characters. As well as many of the jokes. Some she got (like the iocane powder gambit), some she struggled with ("Have fun storming da castle!") and one I needed to actually act out with her.

I had picked up my stick, and thrust with it at her.

"You are wonderful," I said, focusing to remember the scene. I pulled on my bandana, and stepped onto the other side, pointing back at where I had been as I focused on remembering Dread Pirate Robert's part.

"Thank you; I've worked hard to become so," I stated. I thrust and slashed with my invisible Inigo Montoya, before I pulled off the banana and switched back.

"I admit it, you are better than I am!"

Again, I switched.

"Then why are you smiling?"

I made sure I was smiling back at the princess, who watched raptly.

"Because I know something you don't know," Inigo said.

"And what is that?" Myself as Roberts asked.

"I am not left-handed!" I tossed the stick to my right hand, and furiously swung at the invisible Roberts. Who I made visible a moment later as I switched back to him.

"You are amazing!" Myself as Roberts complimented myself as Montoya.

"I ought to be, after 20 years!" Myself as Montoya replied.

"Oh, there's something I ought to tell you," myself as Roberts said.

"Tell me!" I cried as Montoya.

"I'm not left-handed either!" Myself as Roberts said, as I switched to the right hand and thrust violently. I pulled off the bandana, as the princess clopped her hooves happily.

"Splendid!" She cried. She was smiling in a way that seemed more natural-Her eyes were crinkled, there were dimples on her furry cheeks, and she was showing off her teeth. "Splendid!"

I gave a cheesy little bow.

"Thank you, Princess," I said with a gallant flourish, "but I'm really nothing compared to the actual actors." I sighed as I walked back over to my chair, and sat down. I grabbed a hard cider and drank it down, feeling parched. Celestia lifted one, and sipped it as well. I looked up at her with a curious smile.

"So Princess, if you don't mind me asking," I said, "what brings you here?"

"Hm," Celestia considered. "I suppose I wanted to see you."

I blinked. "Er... What for?"

Celestia laughed. "Do I need a reason?" She asked softly. I shrugged.

"I suppose not," I said. "It's your country, you can do what you want."

Celestia's eyes flickered back to the lake, and she let out a soft sigh.

"I suppose so," she said. We fell into silence, and my mind raced. Which I have to admit, it does when I'm not fearing for my life or engaging in battle. Or trying desperately hard to avoid being molested by a horny mare.

No, it was not Fluttershy. It was Berry Punch after one too many.

"If you're concerned about Luna, or Twilight, or anyone else," I said, "they're doing good. I mean, I think Luna was doing well. We had fun when she visited my dreams last night."

"Yes. She told me," Celestia said softly. I held up my hands.

"We didn't do anything inappropriate!" I immediately said. "I mean, if you're here to give me the shotgun speech! I know she's your sister and you love her and I care very deeply but we just danced! In a dream!" I blinked. "Which sounds perfectly ordinary to me, which is the weird part. And I haven't done anything inappropriate with Twilight!"

"Such as?" Celestia asked, looking quietly amused. I coughed.

"... I imagine she has a very long list, now," I managed to joke. Celestia laughed, like the tinkling of happy bells from a church. She shook her head, and gave me a warm smile.

"Andrew Shepherd," she said gently, "I have no doubt you are being a perfect gentlestallion. Now that you're actually taking their romantic overtures seriously."

I scratched the back of my head.

"It's just," I tried. I stopped, and sighed. "Well... I'm not sure you can understand-"

"Hm? Understand what?" Celestia asked, "how difficult it is to find romance when you are one of only a hooful of your kind? Or you are in a position where romance is very difficult due to the potential consequences? Or even that you may feel afraid of doing so, due to the heartbreak and loss you have suffered before?"

She said all this in her neutral princess tone: One I'd become very familiar with during the weeks I'd spent at the castle. It was the kind of tone she used on nobles or doctors who had suggested dissecting me or putting me in a zoo.

I grimaced, and gave her an apologetic smile and bow.

"Sorry. I suppose you would understand perfectly well," I said.

Celestia sighed softly, and looked down at the lake. She looked intently into her reflection in the gently stirred water. At last, she spoke.

"What are immortals like in your fiction, Andrew Shepherd?" She asked. I blinked, and thought hard.

"It's varied," I admitted. "There are the type who feed off of other humans to survive. They see us as prey, or temporary things at best. Then there are immortals just trying to survive, hiding in plain sight. A very lonely existence, as they have to watch their loved ones perish. They tend to be miserable, even nihilistic." I hummed as I thought of my favorite. "Then there's the type who goes on, and on, and uses their immortality to go and see everything. Travel the universe. And take humans along because they can offer a whole new perspective on things he's seen so many times before."

"... Which of those do you suppose I am?" Celestia asked. I blinked. I was immediately wondering why she would ask me this... But when I saw her look at me, her eyes almost pleading, I found the words. Despite the stupid parts of my brain getting in the way.

"I think... You're a gardener," I said. "With a bit of the third type. Or maybe a mother. Basically, you want your ponies to grow up big and strong, and to solve their own problems. You do love them, despite everything, and want them to do better." I leaned back and shrugged. "Presumably so one day you can retire and hunt hot stallions on the beach for the rest of time."

Celestia was silent for a moment, looking down intently at the water as her shoulders shook. I wondered if I'd made a mistake. Oh God, would she start crying? Would she send me to the moon? Both?

She did neither: She threw her head back and let out a laugh. A great big, deep belly laugh, that she had never ever made before. Not around me, anyway.

And it was beautiful too. She got over her laughter, and treated me with a warm smile-The same one as before, so genuine.

"You're quite perceptive, when you stop overthinking everything," she said. I blushed and smiled at the compliment.

"Thanks, I-"

And then it hit me. Like a Tomahawk missile from out of the blue. My jaw dropped and I stared at Celestia in shock.

She stared back at me, her smile now a bit wan.

"... That's... Your plan for Twilight and the others, isn't it?" I asked. "Eventually-"

"Eventually? Yes," Celestia sighed softly. "If they want it." She looked at her hooves. "I'm old, Shepherd," she admitted. "I don't look it and I'm not it physically but... I'm old." She looked up at me, her smile still genuine but... Sad.

"Twilight especially is just... So precious to me," she admitted. "It's been so long since I saw that kind of potential. I've never... I've never met anypony quite like her. And I can't... I can't lose her." She looked intently into my eyes.

"It may be selfish," she admitted, "but I want them to try. To strive for it."

I was silent for a long time. I couldn't help it. Accepting that, processing it... My brain forced words out.

"And what if they can't take it?" I asked. "What if the loneliness gets to them?"

Celestia was just as silent for a time. Only the sound of the waves lapping against the rocks filled the air. She then let out a very long, quiet sigh.

"I can only pray we can deal with that, together," she whispered. She looked at me. "That is part of why I need you, Shepherd."

"To, what?" I asked, "convince them to become immortal?"

Celestia shook her head.

"No," she said, "not that at all. I want you to guard them, and help them. There is still so much for them to learn, Shepherd. And you have such a unique point of view. A unique strength. So fragile, and yet so strong. I need you to help them grow so that one day, they can decide to take that step. And keep the garden growing."

I was lucky I was already sitting down. I looked down at my hands, breathing in slowly. In. Out. In. Out.

"... One day I'll die too though," I said. It didn't come out sad or angry, just... Matter of factly.

"Perhaps," Celestia said. "Perhaps not. But you are the one who can help with this."

"I can't just tell them to strive for that," I stated. Celestia shook her head.

"Nor should you," she replied. "But you need to help them realize it. By being their guardian for the threats they can't face."

"... What if I fail?" I asked.

Celestia smiled back at me, and gave me a nuzzle.

"There is a saying... I believe it is from your world," she said, "but one that has helped me: 'Faith manages.' Without faith, what do we have?"

I sighed, and leaned back in my chair.

"Hell of a time to put all this on me," I muttered. Celestia pushed up next to me, and resumed her nuzzle. I held out a hand and stroked her neck.

"I know," she whispered. "I am sorry... I may have been holding this in for quite some time."

"I gathered," I said dryly. "And who better to tell than the space monkey?"

She said nothing at that. I let out a long sigh, and continued to stroke her mane.

"... I can't promise anything but to try," I stated.

Celestia hummed. "That is all anyone can ask of anyone."

We fell back into silence. The bobber had been underwater for five minutes.

Freaking Pony Princesses...

- - -

Author's Note:

Not sure if this should count as a canon chapter or not.