• Published 2nd Jul 2020
  • 13,510 Views, 1,287 Comments

Short Hand - Andrew Joshua Talon



The myriad misadventures of a plucky human in Equestria.

  • ...
39
 1,287
 13,510

Grand Galloping Gala Part 1


I opened up my mail box, a plain blue cylinder on a post just outside my fence. I flipped through it as I made my way to my deck, bored beyond belief. Of all the things that had to stay the same between planets, it had to be freaking junk mail and bills.

Still, at the very least I could go through all this in my backyard of my own freaking house, while Chewie sunned himself in some Nepeta cataria I'd planted.

Yes, the gigantic lion scorpion bat monster who was my best bro was indeed enjoying himself some catnip. Hey, gardening was relaxing for both of us this way.

I flipped through the mail as I laid back in my deck chair, enjoying the fading autumn sunlight.

"Let's see... Water bill, electric bill, heating bill," I mumbled, setting them aside in a stack, "magazine subscription, magazine subscription... I may have already won one million bits..."

Chewie purred happily. Which normally, big cats shouldn't be able to do but hey. I wasn't questioning it. It was rather comforting actually.

My eyebrows rose at the gold embossed envelope I found in the stack. I opened it up and read through it.

"As a Knight of Equestria, you are cordially invited to... " I hummed. "The Grand Galloping Gala?"

I looked over at Chewie.

"You have any idea what that is?" I asked.

The manticore purred and licked one of the catnip plants. Right, no help there. I sighed and shook my head.

"Didn't think so," I muttered.

"YOU TOO?!"

"GAH!" I nearly fell out of my deck chair. "Damnit Pinkie I-"

Oh, it was Rarity who was leaning over my fence. That was really surprising. She was practically glowing as she beamed at me.

"Rarity!" I grumbled. "Seriously?"

"It's okay darling, I understand your confusion," Rarity said generously. "I am sorry for scaring you, but this is marvelous! Did the Princess send you a ticket too?"

I rummaged around in the envelope, and pulled out... A golden ticket. I raised an eyebrow and looked over at Rarity. She suppressed a little squeal with her hooves.

"Oh this is just amazing!"

"Okay, what is it?" I asked, feeling a sense of dread settle over me. It was almost always associated with Rarity and that smile of hers. It was the same one she wore when getting Fluttershy and myself ready for our date.

"It's a ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala!" Rarity cried. "Only the most ostentatious, elegant, luxurious and amazing social event in all of Equestria! A grand ball to end all grand balls, right in Canterlot Castle!" She jumped over the fence and slid right up next to me, resting her hooves on the side arm. She beamed widely, her eyes sparkling.

I put things together in my head, using patented Rarity Logic. I closed my eyes in a wince.

"Oh no..."

"YES!" Rarity crowed. "Which mare will you take with you to the Gala?! Who will win your heart at the end of a fantastic night of romance?!"

"Well, sad to say, your dreams of romance are dead on arrival," I stated. I held up the letter. "You see-"

FLASH! Twilight Sparkle appeared in a burst of magic, eyes wide as she landed in my lap.

"URK!" I grunted. Twilight looked at me with a wide, almost manic smile.

"SHEPHERD! I'm so happy to have run into you! At your home! Um, so! I heard about you getting a ticket for the Grand Galloping Gala-From Princess Celestia, I wasn't snooping through your mail!"

"Twilight," I began calmly, gripping her horn firmly. Her eyes crossed. "Right. Breathe. Calm down. And speak. Clearly."

"R-R-Right," Twilight managed, her cheeks blushing. "W-Well, um, seeing that you have a ticket, and I have a ticket-Which I got a few months ago-"

"Yes, I remember," I said slowly. The entire town had apparently been trying to get Twilight to take her with them to some thing. I had no idea it was this thing. I'd been dealing with house repairs all day, what do you want?

"Well," Twilight resumed, "-I-I mean, it's not required or anything but I was really hoping you could-EEK!"

She got bumped out of the chair by Rainbow Dash, who smoothly settled into my lap as Twilight tumbled into the catnip. She gave me a confident smirk as she looked me in the eyes, her hooves resting on my shoulders.

"Wanna go to the Gala, buddy? I mean, just so you can enjoy awesome time with me! Instead of being bored to death listening to Twilight talk about books and junk," she said. She was almost immediately launched off my lap with a burst of magic, as Twilight got back up into my lap.

"I WAS ASKING HIM FIRST, DASH!" Twilight cried. "What happened to being the Element of Loyalty?!"

"Hey! I gave you the chance to spit it out!" Dash protested. "The way you stutter, we'd be here all week!"

"Um," Fluttershy tried, standing outside the fence with an awkward expression on her face, "if-If I'm interrupting-"

"Hey! You already had a date with him Fluttershy! Come on, you owe me!" Dash whined. Fluttershy hummed.

"Well, I guess that would be fair..."

"YES!" Dash cried. "WE'RE GOING TOGETHER-URK!"

Applejack lassoed Dash, and yanked her back over the fence. She bounced on her (admittedly very nice buttocks-Oh damnit hormones) and held her down with a hoof on her back. Dash glared up at Applejack, as the orange farmpony shook her head.

"Landsakes, Rainbow Dash!" Applejack cried, trotting up alongside Fluttershy, "yer gonna scare 'im t' death! Sides, ya ain't lettin' him answer!" She looked up at me with a smile. "Should be his choice, after all."

"Totally!" Pinkie Pie said, jumping up from under the deck chair. I sighed, long and hard.

"I'm not even going to ask why you were under there," I stated. Pinkie Pie stuck out her tongue. I stood up, as Rainbow Dash looked up at me shamefaced.

"Um, yeah... Sorry about that," she admitted. "I'm a little excited. So!" She beamed, and puffed up. "Who would you like to take to the Gala? I assure you, if you choose me, I'm happy to make up this embarrassment to you any way you like!"

She battered her eyelashes. Twilight blushed hard. Applejack rolled her eyes.

"Like you'd even know how t' handle 'im, ya derned virgin!" Applejack shot. Dash blushed.

"WHAT?! I'M NOT A VIRGIN!" Dash cried. "Uh, not that I'm a whorse either! I'm just... Ya know... Experienced! Besides, Twilight's a turbo virgin!"

"I AM NOT!" Twilight shouted, blushing brightly. She cleared her throat. "N-Not that I'm... Um... Experienced but uh, I have... Look! Let's make it Shepherd's choice!"

"Totally!" Pinkie Pie cried, bouncing in place eagerly.

"If he wants," Fluttershy added, looking at me shyly.

All pairs of eyes were locked onto me, as Chewie batted a bush's branches around. I sighed, and held up the scroll.

"Well, as it turns out, I don't have any choice at all," I stated. "Princess Celestia wants me to be her escort for the Grand Galloping Gala for security purposes."

Dead silence ensued. Then:

"WHAT?!"

Rarity's cry was of joy though, in contrast to the rest of the mares' cry of dismay.

I'm glad someone was having a good time...


Author's Note:

Yes, here it is, the Grand Galloping Gala Arc. Will Shepherd survive? We'll find out!