• Published 2nd Jul 2020
  • 13,505 Views, 1,286 Comments

Short Hand - Andrew Joshua Talon



The myriad misadventures of a plucky human in Equestria.

  • ...
39
 1,286
 13,505

Hearthswarming Eve

I sighed, the wood of my chair creaking softly under my weight. After an hour of watching an Hearthswarming Eve play, I was spent. It was a combination of the Fourth of July and Christmas for the Equestrians: A kind of origin of their country and the magic of friendship, between the three tribes of pony. It was fairly heartwarming, all told. Which, I suppose, was appropriate.

I found myself leaning back in my chair, as the mares chatted happily about the pageant they'd just put on. I sat alone, just watching the snow fall outside.

Fluttershy trotted up alongside me. She hesitated only a moment, before she looked up at me in concern.

"Shepherd? Are you all right?" Fluttershy asked. "Um, did you not like the pageant?"

"Oh, no, it was very nice," I said. "You did well."

Fluttershy blushed.

"Th-Thank you," she murmured, "um, but... You seem... Sad."

I hummed.

"Well... I guess I'm more... Wistful," I admitted, "I guess I just miss my home. Miss... Christmas."

"You told us the story, um," Fluttershy murmured. "I'm so sorry."

I smiled over at her, and wrapped my arm around her. She snuggled in close to me, and we both looked out at the falling snow.

"It's okay," I said. "I mean... The core of it is finding warmth, and love, and friendship in the darkness of winter," I said. "But I admit... I miss a lot of things about it. Like..." I allowed myself a little grin. "Santa Claus."

"Santa Claus?" Fluttershy asked, curious. I beamed at her.

"Yeah," I said, "he's an immortal old man who lives at our North Pole. With his kingdom of elves and his wife, he creates toys and gifts. On Christmas Eve, he goes around, drawn in a sleigh by magic, flying reindeer, and delivers the gifts to all the good children of mankind."

"All in one night?" Fluttershy asked in amazement. "Those reindeer must be faster than Rainbow Dash!"

"Yeah, but don't tell her about them," I said wryly. I stroked her mane, and she hummed happily.

"I thought your world had no magic," she said. I shrugged.

"Well... Not in the way you know it, but there is a magic around Christmas. A kind of... Warmth and joy that fills us all," I said. Fluttershy beamed at me, and cuddled more closely.

"With those we care about..." Fluttershy murmured. I chuckled, and nuzzled the top of her head.

"Yeah," I said. "Thank you. I mean it."

Rainbow Dash cleared her throat. We both started, as Fluttershy jumped and squeaked. I looked over at the prismatic mare and smiled.

"Hey Dasherino. What's up?"

"That's your worst nickname for me yet," she groaned.

"Well, let's just say I'm practicing my dad jokes," I replied. Fluttershy squeaked again, and I held back a wicked smile. I know, I really shouldn't, but I love teasing her after our date. She's so cute.

"Yeah, well, there's some package that got dropped off outside," she said, "it was addressed to you."

I blinked.

"Addressed to me?"

She hefted over a package, red wrapping paper with golden twine. I blinked, and took it into my hands. I looked at the card and read it.

'It is a human tendency to lose wonder at the miracles of their day, even when presented with actual magic. Every so often, you need a reminder of what kind of a magnificent universe we all live in.

~S.C."

I blinked. I tore open the wrapping paper, and opened the box. I gaped in astonishment.

"What is it?" Dash asked, hovering over my shoulder. I pulled out... A Beretta 92. I turned it over in my hands in astonishment.

"A Beretta 92?! I've wanted this gun since I was a kid," I gasped. "Did... Did the princesses get it out of the archives?"

"But it looks brand new," Dash said, as she pointed at the gun, "I mean, it doesn't look old! All your other guns look so old!"

I heard the faint sounds of jingling bells. I looked up at the moon, shining down through the snow. I could swear I saw the silhouette of reindeer pulling a sleigh, for just the briefest moment. Then it was gone, as though there had been nothing there at all.

"Shepherd? What is it?" Fluttershy asked.

I felt some tears roll down my cheeks. I sniffled a bit. But I had a smile on my face, as bright as the moon above.

"... Nothing," I said. I set the gun down carefully, and pulled them both into a tight hug.

"Merry Christmas... Happy Hearthswarming Eve, whatever," I said. Fluttershy blushed brightly, but snuggled in. Dash groaned.

"Ugh... You gotta be that mushy?" She complained, as she wrapped her wings and hooves around me.

"Yeah," I said, "tis the season, after all..."

Dash sighed.

"I guess I can be uncool... For you... This once," she mumbled.

I chuckled.

"Love you too, Dasher."

"Uggghhh...!"

Author's Note:

Threw this together on Christmas Day, but I hope you enjoyed it.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night.