• Published 20th Jun 2019
  • 12,088 Views, 1,467 Comments

Pregnant Noses Know - Irrespective



Princess Celestia and Prince Bean enjoy the ups and downs of pregnancy.

  • ...
23
 1,467
 12,088

22. - Preparations

“This has to be some sort of mistake.” Chrysalis flipped the golden ticket over several times, checking each side. “Maybe that mind melting magic I crammed into that Bean’s empty skull finally hit Sunbutt. Or there’s some other Queen Chrysalis living in Canterlot that this was supposed to go to.”

The deep scowl on Pokey’s face indicated he had also tried and failed to find some other sane explanation, and his growled words only confirmed it. “No, it was meant for you. I checked with Trixie first, then double-checked with Wysteria in case it was some sort of sick joke. It’s not. That’s a real ticket. For you.”

“So, you’re saying that Sunbutt wants me to attend the Grand Galloping Gala?” Chrysalis said. “Me, the one who impersonated her niece, brainwashed her nephew-in-law, besieged and attacked her city, bested her in singular combat, stole her husband, artfully redecorated her palace, and wrecked her summit?”

“You don’t have to sound so proud about it,” Pokey huffed.

“And why are you so grouchy?” Chrysalis slid the ticket back into the gilded envelope that it had come in, then moved over to her sour guard. “You taste like a pickled egg.”

“Because this means I have to go with you and be your foalsitter,” he stated flatly, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Unless you were planning on inviting somepony else to go with you.”

“Hmm...” Chrysalis stuck her nose in the air and smirked. “The invitation says I can bring anypony I want to, and I’m sure Mandible would be honored to accompany his Queen to the most prestigious event in Canterlot. Or maybe I could ask Bob to be my escort. I’m sure he would love to meet Princess Celestia again.”

Pokey raised one eyebrow, which was something that he’d been practicing lately. “Bob? I hope he brings a dustpan and an urn.”

“That would liven up the evening, now wouldn’t it?” Chrysalis purred. “If I’m feeling especially nice, I could invite Hazelnut. She’s been much kinder to me than anypony else in this whole wretched city.”

“Hazel hates formal events,” Pokey said with a thin grin. “She’d much rather stay at home with Mister Barky Von Schnauzer.”

“And how do you know this, exactly?”

“Oh, she’s told me exactly how she feels about such things, in no uncertain terms and for hours on end. You know as well as I do that Hazel will gladly share her opinion on any topic imaginable, wether you want her to or not.”

Chrysalis paused in thought. “Okay, so I won’t invite her. But I could still haul one of my drones to the Gala. If I could sneak in two or three others, we could collect quite the cache of emotions for the hive.”

“You know, you really shouldn’t verbalize your nefarious schemes while I’m within earshot,” Pokey noted. “But I’ll be sure to inform Captain Armor of your intentions. I’m sure he’d love to hear all about it.”

“Fine, no drones,” Chrysalis huffed. “They’d just be underhoof anyway, and I don’t want them telling the whole hive about my—” her colorful wings gave an involuntary flutter “—totally minor and inconsequential chromatic issue. I guess I’ll just have to invite you, my delicious Pokey.”

“Lucky me.”

Chrysalis grinned in delight. “You know this means I will need to find something to wear, of course. There was a nice gown at a boutique I saw the other day; I wonder if it’s still there. You’d like it, my sweet babboo. It’s supposed to make you look just like a princess, so just imagine how luscious it would make me.”

“Well, it could hardly make you any worse,” Pokey said, but then he grinned. “Unless, of course, it somehow clashes with your chitin. We could use the resulting mess of color as a camouflage in the guard.”

“You’re a real riot, you know that?” Chrysalis snorted. “Just you wait, Pokey. I’ll show you.”

* * * *

Princess Celestia, Eternal Mare of the Morn, was really beginning to hate that title.

She had no personal problems with dawn, of course, since she was the one who had defined when dawn was for over a thousand years. But her little ponies were dependent on routines, and nothing was more routine than the raising of the sun. When it happened on time, everypony thought nothing of it and went about their daily activities, with maybe a few token thanks shared between them for Celestia’s continued dedication and willingness to perform her duties.

If the sun were ever late, for whatever reason, however…

A quick perusal of Twilight Sparkle’s Panicked Letters to Princess Celestia, In Regards to the Delay of Day, Volumes 1-3 in the archives was a fair representation of how Equestria reacted in general.

So, it was with that thought that the Bringer of Day dragged herself, almost literally, through the large, ornate doors and on to her balcony. For some unknown reason, her breath smelled like week-old mushroom soup, and one hoof poked at the massive knot of a mane that was perched on her head.

“I certainly hope you sleep better once you are born,” Celestia muttered to her stomach, but one corner of her mouth twitched upwards when Nilla replied with an enthusiastic kick that made the surface of her belly ripple. “It’s impossible to get any rest with you thrashing around in there. Maybe your Aunt Luna will consider swapping for the sun for a time, and I could take the moon.”

“I would not count on that, sister,” Luna’s voice drifted down just before she alighted on the balcony. “I still do not like hives, nor do I want to be responsible for that big ball of hot air. I think I am still missing a few secondary feathers from the last time I brought it up.”

“Please?” Celestia whined, but Luna shook her head while lighting her horn.

“Nay, Sister. The sun is yours to tend. I also would not count on Nilla sleeping more when she arrives. If anything, she will sleep less, and it will be accompanied with random, inconvenient moments of The Royal Canterlot Scream.”

“I know, but I can hope, right?” Celestia said as the sun and moon swapped positions in the sky.

“You do have Bean to help,” Luna noted with a grin. “Doubtless, he will do all within his power to tend to your foal, and thus let you rest. I am sure Banana Split will be willing to care for Nilla as well, if need be.” She paused for a moment. “Except for nursing, I suppose. You will be on your own for that.”

“Horsenpfeffer did recommend a nice pump, so Bean could help out,” Celestia yawned deeply. “How was your night?”

“Quite informative, actually,” Luna said, her eyes flicking towards her own chambers. “Oh, but I shall need a new bookcase as soon as one can be provided. There was a… slight incident the day before yesterday, and mine was damaged.”

“Really? How did that happen?”

“An unexpected surprise,” Luna said with a smirk. “One of Our guards feared for my safety, and found that I am more than capable of defending myself.”

“Oh.” Celestia paused for a moment in thought. “Corporal Larkspur, isn’t it? Is he injured?”

“Yes,” Luna said in a thoughtful tone, although there was something in her sister’s expression that Celestia had not seen in ages. It was just a glimpse of Luna's inner turmoil being calmed, then her little sister straightened up her face and continued. “But I assure you that said injuries are being tended to by the most qualified of ponies.”

“Good. The Corporal has been a loyal servant to the crown for many years, but I have always thought that there was something holding him back.” Celestia shook her head slightly. “Please, make sure he receives everything he needs to heal.”

“That I will, Sister. But, the night has taxed my strength, and I am in need of rest. Until tonight, Celly.”

“Until tonight, Lulu.” Celestia gave her sister a hug with a grunt, then turned to look at her stomach. “And you! Settle down, little lady!”

Luna chuckled as she flew away, leaving Celestia to continue her argument with her rowdy child on her own. The Diarch of Day was not looking forward to Nilla’s inner tap dance rehearsal, but she would simply have to endure it as best she could for the time being. The Grand Galloping Gala was tonight, and there was much that still needed to be accomplished before the festivities began.

“Bean?” she called out as she entered her room. “I hope you’re awake. We need to meet with Trixie and make sure that the final items for tonight are taken care of.”

There was no reply, and Celestia’s wings ruffled in annoyance. If she had to rise for the dawn, then so should he, even if they had both stayed up late in an effort to cross off as many items from the preparation list for the Gala as possible. Besides, he had probably slept better than she had, and thus should have more energy than herself.

Before her grumbling thoughts could turn into a Bean hunt, her wayward husband walked into the room, with Trixie following behind him, her clipboard at the ready in her magic. He held a long, thin envelope in his hoof, but as soon as he saw her, he tossed the letter onto the nearby vanity table and gave his wife a smile.

“Morning, sweetie,” he said. “Ready to get started?”

“I am if you are,” she said, her previous displeasure melting away. “Good morning to you as well, Miss Lulamoon.”

“Your Highness.” Trixie dipped her head, then flipped a few sheets on her clipboard. “Miss Wysteria has gone over the itinerary and the preparation plans, and she sends her apologies for not being able to attend tonight. Between you and me, she looks like she’s at least twice as wide as she is tall now, and I bet her equilibrium is non-existent. If she had come, she would probably be mistaken as an entrant in Equestria’s Largest Honeydew Melon competition.”

“I could see that,” Bean said with a snicker, but then he withered under his wife’s intense glare.

“It’s not funny,” she said in a cold, firm tone. “Wysteria can’t help her size, and it is unfair to make light of her condition.”

“I take it all back, then.”

Celestia nodded. “Now, let us tend to the matter at hoof. Miss Lulamoon, may I see the plans?”

Trixie carefully levitated the single sheet of paper over to the Princess, then leaned away in case the pregnant alicorn who just so happened to play with the sun like it was a beach ball decided to unload more of her stored ire on the assistant secretary. “This is all that remains, Your Highness.”

Celestia glanced over the list with a thoughtful hum for a moment, but then her frown deepened into a scowl. “Bean, didn’t you confirm the menu with the caterers?”

“Two days ago,” he said, and he leaned over to look at the list. “Why?”

“This says that you have not,” she huffed. “And Wysteria is never wrong.”

“I swear I did,” he countered. “I met with Chef Beet and discussed the fruit basket centerpieces, Gustave LeGrande was eager to provide all of the eclairs we needed, Mulia Mild was on board with the your suggestion for mousse moose, and Donut Joe said he would recreate Donutopia in full. I signed off on all of the preparations and filed them in triplicate. Trixie and Wysteria should have a copy of the signed order.”

“I’m sorry, Prince Bean, but Trixie doesn’t have that paperwork,” Trixie said, her magic flipping through the pages on her clipboard.

“I swear I completed it!” Bean protested.

“Without the documentation, we have no proof,” Celestia chided. “I suggest you go and confirm the plans. If everything has been done as you have said, then simply have the caterers sign off on the documentation once more and then return the paperwork to me. This will prevent any further issues. You will need to hurry, since we are scheduled to meet with Sir Golden Hammer and Miss Saddles for the final fitting.”

“I turned the paperwork in. I know I did,” Bean grumbled, turning himself to the door with a resigned sigh. “I gave a copy to Minister Wise, a copy to the Central Planning Committee…”

“Well, while he takes care of that, let’s see what else remains,” Celestia casually went on. “Let’s see…”

* * * *

“You’re late.”

Bean lowered his head and spread his forelegs apart to help calm his rapid breathing. “Sorry,” he breathlessly said. “Gustave was busy finishing the final eclairs, and it took me forever to find Chef Beet. I have signed, sworn, and notarized statements from everypony for their parts in catering the Gala, and Sergeant Clover Leaf is helping Mulia bring in the mousse moose right now.”

“At least the issue has been taken care of.” Celestia sniffed, then turned to her left. “I think you’ve just learned a valuable lesson on seeing a task through to the very end, yes?”

“I turned in the paperwork.” He let out a nicker of annoyance and flicked his tail before pouting and plopping his rear on the floor. “I know I did.”

“What’s done is done. Now, let’s not keep Miss Saddles waiting any longer.”

“Who?” Bean asked, his steps in double time as he tried to keep up with his wife’s cadence down the hall.

“Miss Sassy Saddles, an employee of Lady Rarity’s. She was asked to complete any last-second alterations that we might need, since Rarity will be busy preparing for the Gala herself.”

“Oh. And after that?”

“Since you are tardy, by the time we finish with that it should be time for the Gala to begin,” Celestia said. “I do hope Luna will try to come this year. I haven’t spoken to her about it, but she did indicate that she might try.”

“It would be nice to see her there,” Bean agreed.


“So, why couldn’t I just wear my blue coat?” Bean asked, his hoof suspended in midair as Sassy Saddles hemmed his sleeve.

Celestia’s gaze wandered over her husband’s form, and her lips twitched up in appreciative approval. “Because I like how you look in red.”

Bean’s cheeks took on the same hue as his new vestments, and he dipped his head with an embarrassed smile. “Really?”

Celestia nodded. “It is very pleasing to my eye. Besides, I believe it is an unwritten rule that you cannot wear the same clothing to the Grand Galloping Gala more than once. Even though this is your first one, you need to make your entrance with something new.”

“Is that why you always have a new dress commissioned?” he asked, and she nodded. “Well, I admit the logic doesn’t make much sense to me, but I guess it’s all about flaunting what you have. The nobility and the upper-crust can afford to have new duds for each new social event, and I’m sure they want everypony to know it.”

“That is probably a large part of it,” Celestia agreed.

“Your dress looks quite nice, by the way. It’s very slimming,” Bean lied in that naive way that she appreciated so much.

“Of course it looks nice,” Sassy interjected with a smug grin. “Miss Rarity and I agonized over the colors and the pattern. It took me two weeks just to get the hems right!”

“Did you both work on Trixie’s dress as well?”

“Miss Lulamoon’s dress is my own design,” Sassy said with pride, “but I must say that she hardly gave me enough time to complete it. While it will be serviceable for tonight, I could have come up with something more elegant if she’d given me more warning. But, we have more important things to worry about now. That should just about do it,” Sassy announced with a tug of the thread to break it off. “Have a look.”

Bean turned as Celestia levitated the full-length mirror over to him, and he took several long moments to appreciate the look. Overall, the design was similar to Shining Armor’s normal outerwear, but with gold buttons that were offset to his right side and embossed with Celestia’s cutie mark. A golden belt wrapped around his barrel, and the trim of his collar matched to complete the look.

Of the two, Bean liked the look of his blue coat better, but this one was nice in its own way, too. Besides, he had learned enough to keep such heretical opinions to himself while in the company of Rarity, or any who might send word back to her.

A knock at the door interrupted his thoughts, and he retreated a step as Golden Hammer entered the chamber with a sizeable box aloft in his magic. The Royal Jeweler paused for the briefest of moments for an equally brief bob of his head, but it was clear he was here to do his job as quickly as possible.

“Good afternoon, Sir Hammer,” Celestia greeted with an even tone and an even smile. “Would I be correct if I assumed you have completed my husband’s coronet?”

“Yes,” he said with a suspicious glance around the room. “Princess Cadence isn’t hiding somewhere, is she?”

Celestia’s grin grew devious. “Why, Sir Hammer! I did not realize that you were afraid of my niece.”

“I’m not afraid of her,” Golden Hammer replied, with a wary eye on Sassy Saddles. “But I come from a long line of bachelors, and she’s determined to see that streak come to an end. I refuse to let her work her matchmaking skills on me anymore.”

Celestia chuckled, but then she grew serious. “Rest assured, Sir Hammer, that Princess Cadence is not here. I received word earlier today that she and Shining Armor would not be able to attend today, due to a changeling sighting in the Crystal Empire.”

“That far north?” Bean asked. “I thought changelings hated the cold.”

“There is much we don’t know about them, and I doubt Chrysalis wants to fill in the gaps, so to speak,” Celestia said. “As it is, we must simply carry on and hope that this sighting amounts to nothing. Now, shall we proceed?”

“Your Highness,” Golden Hammer said with a proud smile. “Your coronet, as promised.”

He then produced an elegant ring of gold that came to six soft peaks, with intricate braiding along the edges and small, round heliodor beryls set into fittings at the tips. Under the stones, a detailed carving of the Equestrian sun stood proudly in what would otherwise be a blank space. Small rubies were set in even intervals in between the suns, and on the whole, Bean had to admit that the coronet was more refined than he could ever be.

“Princess?” Golden Hammer held the crown out towards her. “I believe you should be the one to officially crown our prince.”

Celestia smiled, and her magic took the offer. “I wholeheartedly agree. Baked Bean, please stand before me.”

Bean did so with a grin, which grew larger as Celestia gently placed the coronet on his head. Just as Golden Hammer had promised, the weight of it was remarkably light, and the fit was comfortable. He then turned to look himself over in the mirror again, and the grin grew into a full smile.

“I must say, this completes the appearance, Prince Bean,” Sassy commented. “You look the part now.”

“Indeed,” Celestia said. “My dear Prince has never looked better.”

Bean blushed from the tips of his ears on down, but he stepped in to hug his wife. “Thank you.”

* * * *

“Chrysalis?” Pokey called out as he fussed with the ends of his bowtie. “You’d better be ready. We’re already late.”

“Coming!” Chrysalis called down in a sing-song tone. “I hope you’re ready to have your shoes knocked off!”

“I’m not wearing… any…” Pokey started, but then he stopped. His mouth hung open as Chrysalis slowly descended the stairs into his front room, and for a moment, he forgot about the rest of reality.

The Queen of the Changelings was dressed in a slim dress of cool blues and purples, with the individual panels of the skirt sewn together in a way that evoked the image of a stained-glass window from the Crystal Empire. Several brilliantly blue sapphires and finely polished pearls were inlaid into the silk, placed so as to resemble a constellation that could be found in Luna’s evening sky. The bodice of the dress clung snugly to Chrysalis’ chest, with the hem cut into points that drew the eye upwards towards her face.

If this were the only thing that Pokey’s eyes had to enjoy, he might still be capable of speech. However, the Queen had pulled out another trick from her seemingly never ending supply bag, and as she slowly slunk over towards him, he tried to catch the words that were crashing around in his brain so he could organize them into a sensible sentence.

“Well?” Chrysalis spun once, then gave him a sultry look over her glasses. “Do you like?”

“Your chitin,” he softly said. “It’s black again.”

“So glad you noticed,” she said, a fang-filled smile coming to light. “I was going to smack you hard if you missed it.”

“How? Did the dye wear off?”

“No.” Her smile faltered for just a moment, but then it came back even brighter than before. “It took some time for me to perfect it, but I managed to figure out how to change each individual splotch. I’m not in my natural form right now, but a patchwork replica of what I once was.”

“You’re disguised,” started Pokey slowly, “as yourself. And you seriously think that you can just waltz into the Grand Galloping Gala like that?”

"Waltz, foxtrot, and mambo." Chrysalis’ eyebrows bobbed, and her magic grabbed the ends of his untied tie. “The invitation said Queen Chrysalis, so Queen Chrysalis will be attending. If you ponies have a problem with that, then I’ll make the best of the situation and snatch up all of the panic and confusion in the air. It’s not as potent as love, but it works in a pinch.”

Pokey wanted to offer some sort of statement to that, but nothing was forthcoming. Instead, he simply stood still as Chrysalis tied and straightened his bow tie.

“I used to do this for you all the time as Bluebelle,” Chrysalis said in a soft, thoughtful tone as she smoothed it with her hooves. “Do you remember our second date? You tried so hard to tie it yourself, but it was so lopsided that I had to redo it for you. There was no way I could keep my focus with that thing on the left side of your neck. It looked like a goiter.”

Pokey grunted, and the sharp bite of betrayal stung the inside of Chrysalis’ nose. “Too bad you were faking it the whole time.”

“I wasn’t faking all of it,” she replied, her hoof coming to rest on the center of his chest. “I mean, I was at first, but then you got past my defenses, somehow. You were the first one who voluntarily gave love to me, and…” She stalled out. “Nopony does that. Changelings have to steal love. We impersonate loved ones, family members, and cherished friends. We siphon away the love that should have been for another all in one shot, until the mark is completely drained, and then we move on. Personally, I like to leave a little love for later, but most of my little drones are too greedy to wait.

“But with you…” she hesitated again, then drew a deep breath. “I just couldn’t. It felt wrong. I felt… I felt guilty about stealing it,” she said, with extra effort to get that horrid g-word out. “Usually, I could stuff the feeling deep down, but then you started giving it to me on your own, and… ugh.” She snorted and turned her back to him. “Forget it. Let’s just go to this stupid party of yours and get this over with. I have a new crossword book to fill out.”

Pokey hesitated for just a moment, but then he moved to her side and offered her his hoof. “I’d be careful if I were you, Chrysalis. You keep saying stuff like that, and pretty soon creatures will start to think you’re going soft.”

“Don’t you dare say that word to me.” Chrysalis put her hoof on his muzzle, but her touch was as light as a feather. “Changelings don’t go soft. We just change strategies to confuse our victims from time to time.”

“You’ll have to explain how that works in more detail sometime.” Pokey opened his front door, and with a grin, he softly guided her out, feeling ever so slightly smug about bringing the most unusual guest to the Gala.

He had no idea how wrong he was.

* * * *