• Published 5th Feb 2019
  • 436 Views, 7 Comments

A Just Cause - GJT_Productions



The night of the Grand Galloping Gala arrives, and the final deceptions are exposed!

  • ...
0
 7
 436

It Is Finished?

The last official act of Operation Just Cause, commanded by Lieutenant Captain Shining Armor, was the brief reoccupation and burning of Fort Beta, having made a brief sidetrip there on the way back to Canterlot. Just like with Fort Alpha, everything wooden was ordered to go up in smoke to prevent reuse, and again the smoke filled the air as the forces marched out, this time not stopping until they got to the city gates of Canterlot.

Shining Armor must've realized the "smoke signal" must've tipped off their arrival, because with the sun due to be lowered by Princess Celestia in a matter of minutes the Just Cause group was given an escort and triumphant welcome. The unicorn Lieutenant Captain didn't exactly feel it was worth the effort, particularly after seeing some angry faces in the background of the cheering crowd, but knew Celestia had demanded it and played along nonetheless. He was sure, though, that this was storing up trouble in the future...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soldier and prisoner alike was escorted directly toward Canterlot Castle, the sun being lowered just before entering the castle grounds and the moon rising as they stopped at the grand doors to the castle. All knew the gesture had been previously planned, just to remind rebel and loyalist alike who was REALLY in charge in Equestria. The doors flung open, and the escort sorted those present into three groups: the pegasi ex-Agents of Chaos, the former Hornpoint participants, and the loyalists that had served in Just Cause.

The former Agents of Chaos were marched in first, booed and hissed by the assembled mixed-race crowd and forced flat on the ground in front of the alicorn royal sisters, standing side-by-side in full majesty in front of the royal throne. The unicorn Hornpoint participants were lead in next, still wearing the horn rings and subject to more general critical shouts - Shining Armor noticed the anger building among some unicorns in the crowd over this, adding to his fears of storing up trouble in the future - and like the pegasi were forced flat on the ground in front of the alicorns, even the totally humiliated Prince Blueblood. Finally, the Just Cause participants were allowed to approach and bow before the alicorns, then returned to an at-attention pose behind the prisoners.

Celestia begins reading from a parchment she was levitating with yellow unicorn magic in front of her, a speech that had obvious preparation beforehand: "With the return of the forces of Operation Just Cause to Canterlot, we, the royal sisters of Equestria, declare the public threat of the Agents of Chaos completely and permanently neutralized. The pegasi that participated in that rebellion seeking chaos have killed and maimed their fellow Equestrians without showing remorse, and my previous ruling on their fate still stands. They must die, as they have destroyed lives in their quest for chaos."

On that cue, the escorting Royal Guards converged on the prostrated pegasi and began picking them up to haul away - Shining Armor would never see any of them again, and he could only presume they were executed. The watching crowd in the castle again began jeering and booing, but this time the pegasi did not join in the effort.

Celestia, undaunted or unaware of what was going on in the crowd, continues on her speech once the last pegasus disappears from sight: "Now, for the unicorn participants of the illegitimate operation. Your enthusiasm is certainly admirable, if very badly misplaced, and your later cooperation has persuaded me to spare your lives. However, we cannot ignore that you willingly collaborated with and followed the orders of a traitor. As such, we have decreed that you and your families are to be banished to the far north, where the Crystal Empire once was located, never to return to Canterlot upon penalty of death. You will be permitted 36 hours to organize your affairs and prepare for the escorted trip north - after that, you must leave the city."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lieutenant Captain Shining Armor could hear sobbing in the crowd - doubtless this was a grievous blow to the families of the Hornpoint participants mixed in the crowd, some of which had worried they would never see those involved ever again. He also knew some would indeed never see those involved again, and the tears for them would be pure bitterness instead of bittersweet for the survivors. The escort guards lead the Hornpoint survivors into the crowd to reunite with their families, tears (and some anger) flowing aplenty as those involved realized what they had done to themselves and those they cared the most about.

Shining noticed that Prince Blueblood was not lead into the crowd like the other Hornpoint members were, and he guessed that Celestia must've have had something particular planned for him. And his hunch was quickly proven right when the escort guards nudged Blueblood in front of Celestia, who broke her previous seriousness to show a wisp of deep disappointment as she talks looking down at him: "For over a thousand years, I gave the rightful heir of Platinum the right to call themselves 'Prince' or 'Princess' to show my respect for one of those that founded Equestria. With your actions both at the Grand Galloping Gala and as part of the illegitimate Operation Hornpoint, you have shown yourself not worthy of that honor. I have decided you will be the last to carry the title of Prince. Recognition of the House of Bullion will end, and everything associated with the title will die with you."

Blueblood can do nothing but lower his head down in shame, but is surprised when Celestia continues instead of stopping as he initially thought: "There was once a colt that was so excited by their compass points cutie mark, that was so excited in that it meant he would get to see the world and represent Equestria in all corners of the globe. What happened to that colt? Where did he go?"

Blueblood remains silent - he has no answer for the questions Celestia is asking him, and the wincing pain in his expression is proof of that. This was a situation entirely of his own making, of badly mishandling two important situations and ensuring staining of the opinion of unicorns in general. Like Shining Armor, Blueblood feared for what would happen in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The escort guards again nudge Blueblood, this time away from the royal sisters, and the Just Cause participants are allowed to approach in a bow one-by-one. Each in turn receives a kiss on the top of the head by the pair of sisters, Celestia first and then Luna, before stepping aside to let the next member approach. The order is determined by seniority, except for Shining Armor, who was deliberately held back for last.

When Shining Armor approaches, still wearing his gleaming ceremonial armor, Luna kisses him on top of the head before Celestia does - due to his commanding the night shift it was Luna's prerogative to go first in this case. When Shining looks up, he sees both alicorns with relief in their expressions.

"It is over, Shining. It is finally over." Celestia gives in a stage whisper, eyes moist as she speaks. "The last aftershock of my sister's return to Equestria has finally passed. Friendship and harmony will again maintain the peace in this kingdom, not to be disturbed further in this generation."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Princess Celestia would be proven wrong, though. Very wrong. Because at the time she did not know of the hungry race and its queen that had inherited the ambitions of the Agents of Chaos, nor of the discontent that was still under the surface, waiting for one serious failure to again breach into the public. The peace predicted was destined to not last long...

Author's Note:

(Super-late, I know, but I don't really care. The story is over and so is Season 1 of the Canterlot Chronicles! :twilightsmile:)

Comments ( 2 )

This is pretty cool story line, can't wait for more.
Love to see how Twilight handles being betrayed and what consequences that will occur, does Discord still escape as before or be different?

9738279
Discord escaping is the trigger for Season 2, which won't be started until 2020 at the earliest. You'll have to wait until then to see what happens. ;)

Login or register to comment