• Published 5th Feb 2019
  • 437 Views, 7 Comments

A Just Cause - GJT_Productions



The night of the Grand Galloping Gala arrives, and the final deceptions are exposed!

  • ...
0
 7
 437

Amicitia

Lieutenant Captain Shining Armor looked up at the closed gate that loomed over the southwest road out of the city. The southwest road, which directly connected Canterlot with the region of Las Pegasus and Applewood, had lately become very important due to the notability of the ponies that had passed through or over it in recent months.

The first group was the remnant force of the failed Operation Whirlwind, which had rammed through the defenses to escape the city and apparently occupy two formerly-abandoned forts off the road, ideal bases for raiding the road's traffic to sustain their own operations. Shining Armor presumed this group was later joined by former Lieutenant Captain Aten, also known as the Agent of Chaos leader "Agent Snake", after two of his followers bailed him out of his death sentence and he disappeared out of the city.

The deceptions of Lieutenant Troilus, who had been sent to investigate the rumors and lied on the official report to cover up the truth, ensured the renegades several months of free reign to attack the road, and making it safe was one of Shining Armor's objectives. The other was dealing with Lieutenant Troilus' unauthorized "Operation Hornpoint", where he had gathered a civilian force operating under Prince Blueblood's puppet authority to take on the rebels himself. As "Hornpoint" was illegal under E.U.P. Guard military code, Shining Armor had authority to arrest Troilus and his collaborators, assuming they were still alive, and bring them back to Canterlot as prisoners.

But most of all, Shining's force was being sent to save lives. Lives trapped in deception by others hungry for power and glory, that did not really care about those they used and abused to get what they wanted. In hindsight, it would prove to be an odd foreshadowing of the infiltration of a shape-shifting enemy at that point unknown to the population of Equestria...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shining is brought back to the present when he simultaneously hears his two subordinate Lieutenants reporting: "All present and accounted for, sir!"

The Lieutenant Captain turns to look down at the Lieutenants, Vigil and Vanguard. Both had been recommended by Lieutenant Captain Fidelitas as Shining's subordinates, partly because Shining had once served beside them as part of Fidelitas' afternoon castle guard command and partly to promote an image of a "mixed" command, Vigil being a pegasus and Vanguard being a unicorn. This was important in the public eye to fight the species-prejudiced opponents Shining's command would be facing, the Agents of Chaos being anti-unicorn and Troilus' command being anti-pegasi.

This "mixed" image was reinforced by the squads commanded by the Lieutenants, also chosen by Shining and Fidelitas for the mission. Some of Lieutenant Vanguard's command were old friends of Shining, including Guards Upper Class Gaffer, 8-Bit and Spearhead. The command also included Shining's former romantic rival for Princess Cadance, Guard Upper Class Buck Withers. Meanwhile, Lieutenant Vigil's command included Guard Upper Class Excelsior, the only griffon currently serving as a member of the E.U.P. Guard, and Guard Upper Class Flash Sentry, a young pegasus who had distinguished himself in fighting against Operation Whirlwind.

Shining Armor cleared his throat, deliberately placing his fully-armored self with the grand gate and down-sloping path in the background as he gave his final briefing to the assembled squads:

"Through this gate, and to the southwest of Canterlot, is presumed to be our objective: the renegade squads we have been ordered to find and subdue. I will provide no delusions of safety - this will be the first taste of combat for some of you, and these enemies have already proven they do not respect the law, order, or ideals of the Kingdom of Equestria. They will maim and kill if they believe it is necessary to preserve and advance their cause.

You might have noticed that although there are two very different sets of renegades we are facing, I am speaking of them the same way. The reason is that both groups have committed the same sin in different ways - violating one of the basic principles that allows Equestrian civilization to survive and thrive. Usually this is called 'friendship' today, but the ancient Equestrians from the time before the rule of the royal sisters had a different word: 'amicitia'. It was the word the founders of Equestria used to describe the magic that fueled the Fire of Friendship at the founding of Equestria, as relayed to us by the tales of Hearth's Warming every year. And it was also the word the ancient Equestrians to describe the magic power behind the Elements of Harmony after their usage by Princesses Celestia and Luna."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shining Armor pauses long enough for the subordinates to take in what he is saying before continuing on: "To the ancient Equestrians, the opposite of 'amicitia' was called 'confusio', which has been rendered several different ways over the years - 'confusion', 'discord' and 'disharmony' have all been used at various points in time. According to documents found by raiding the secret headquarters of the Agents of Chaos, the 'chaotic one' they were hoping to summon is supposedly powered by 'confusio' magic. Both the Agents of Chaos and the renegades lead by Lieutenant Troilus are guilty of abandoning 'amicitia' to gain power from 'confusio', and using this power for self-serving and destructive ends. The corrosive power of the 'confusio' magic they practice on our society means they must be stopped, as quickly and justly as possible. We must ensure the magic of 'amicitia' - or 'friendship' if you prefer - is the one that triumphs!"

The subordinate squads give an affirmative shout in response to Shining's speech, which the Lieutenant Captain took as a very positive sign. Shining also noticed some civilians watching nearby joining in the affirmative cheer - after all, they as much as the current Element Bearers were the heirs of the power of friendship behind Equestria's founding.

The Lieutenant Captain briefly lets a smile slip, then gives his final orders as he turns to face the gate: "Squads, form up behind me in four columns, two for each squad. The Lieutenants and their chosen second-in-commands are to be at the head of each column belonging to a squad. We are to march until dark or until we encounter an encampment of some kind."

Several civilians watch curiously as the E.U.P. Guard members form up and begin marching toward the gate, which is opened by two Lower Class members as they approach. The closing gates by those same Lower Classes also mark the closing of any other opportunities to avert future disasters - the path was set, and the path was ultimately found to be filled with grief and suffering...