• Published 3rd Oct 2018
  • 518 Views, 4 Comments

Flight of the Butterfly - Matthew Penn



A young Rainbow Dash is the number one flyer in flight camp until she races against an unlikely opponent.

  • ...
2
 4
 518

Flight of the Butterfly

Everyone at flight camp agreed that Rainbow Dash was the fastest pegasus alive. There wasn’t a competition where she came in last place nor where she didn’t win the gold medal. If one were to visit her home they’ll she a shelf where all of her trophies, medals and prizes were lined up neatly, which became testaments to her awesomeness. Now her goal is to win first place in the Summer Flight Camp Junior Race. Rainbow Dash became so certain she will win that she didn’t practice.

Why would she? She has proven time and time again that she is the best. Flying at the speed of sound came naturally to her. Her parents even told her that she was born while her mother was skydiving. As outlandish as that sounded, Rainbow Dash thought it was an awesome way to be born. So while the other young pegasi practiced for the race, she rested in her cabin, thinking about the first place trophy that will fill the empty spot on her shelf at home.

She also thought about the look on Blitz Windstrom’s face when she does win. Dash and Blitz have been bitter rivals since their first day at flight camp. Like the rivals they were they spent their time budding heads against each other, one not letting the other show them up. Rainbow Dash laughed to herself. No matter how hard he tried, he will never beat Rainbow Dash at anything. Many have tried and failed. It is the natural order of things.

While she took a nap Cloud Chaser, her cabinmate, opened the door. Rainbow Dash slowly lifted her head to acknowledge her, then she closed her eyes and went back to sleep. “I was wondering where you were. Aren’t you going to practice for the race?” said Cloud Chaser.

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “I don’t need to. I got this whole thing in the bag,” she answered with confidence.

“You don’t want to embarrass yourself in front of everyone do you? Don’t you know our parents are coming to see us?” Rainbow Dash yawned, then said something under her breath Cloud Chaser couldn’t understand. Cloud Chaser shook her head. “I’d practice really hard if I were you, especially if you want to beat Blitz Windstrom and Fluttershy.”

Rainbow Dash sat up from her bunk, and gazed at her friend quizzically. If Rainbow Dash was the fastest pegasus in the world, at the other end of the spectrum was Fluttershy, who could possibly be the worst flyer of all time. Rainbow Dash became pretty sure nature never intended for her to be a pegasus; unfortunately she just so happened to be born with wings. Fluttershy was afraid of everything, even her own shadow. Worst of all, she’s afraid of flying, which is a terrible thing for someone who is a pegasus. Whenever Rainbow Dash caught a glimpse of her she bumped into things and ponies, either making them fall on her or on themselves. Most of the time she couldn’t coordinate herself to do the simplest tasks. Also, there’s that sad puppy-dog look she always carried on her yellow face with those long strands of pink hair hiding half of it. Although it’s true that no pony is good at everything, the situation is worse for her. Fluttershy came in dead last in every competition flight camp held, so much so the counselors had to give her participation medals so she wouldn’t feel bad about herself. Now this pegasus who couldn’t barely lift herself mere inches into the air, had no sense of coordination or direction, was part of the Junior Race?

Rainbow Dash shook her head. “It has to be joke. There is no way she’s going to make a fool out of herself in front of hundreds of ponies, unless the counselors were planning some huge practical joke.” Although the idea was cruel, she couldn’t help but chuckle to herself.

“I’m not kidding. Coach Swiftleet has been training her for weeks,” said Cloud Chaser.

This new development had Rainbow Dash interested. Swiftleet is one of the camp counselors. She helped coach the Cloudsdale University Airball Team; and as her father recalled, she was the best coach the team ever had. Why is she wasting her time training the untrainable? Rainbow Dash had to see this for herself. She followed Cloud Chaser to the other side of the camp to an empty arena, and she finally saw it. Swiftleet shouted things like “Hussle!” and “Left, right!” and “Move your body, not your wings!” to Fluttershy. The yellow pegasus flew over, under, and made loops through an obstacle course Swiftleet probably created for her.

Rainbow Dash continued to stare, wondering if that pegasus was really Fluttershy. Sure enough it was, because Swiftleet kept saying her name. Fluttershy’s movements were precise, controlled, and she didn’t bump into anything or stumbled. This wasn’t the same pegasus as before. She’s actually pretty good.

Did she actually think that? Of course not, this is Fluttershy she is looking at. Coach Swiftleet probably did this out of pity. Rainbow Dash wouldn’t be surprised if Swiftleet treated her like a pet. Maybe when she comes down for a landing she’ll give the filly a treat and pats on the head. Rainbow Dash kind of felt bad for her, although the feeling faded after some time.

“See what I mean? Are you still going to practice?” said Cloud Chaser.

Rainbow Dash didn’t answer her right away. She continued to watch Fluttershy do another round through the obstacle course. A moment later she smirked and chuckled. What’s the point? Fluttershy might be improving, but she will never stand a chance against Rainbow Dash. Besides, everyone already knows she’s the fastest pegasus alive.


The Flight Camp Junior Race is annually held on the week before the final week of camp. Because it’s an open event, the parents of the campers are encouraged to come, which is what exactly Rainbow Dash’s parents did. It wasn’t too surprising since they’ve been to every sporting event that involved their only daughter. The young flyers were led to the center of the arena where they were led by the counselors to perform the camp chant, and then the races officially began.

The races were categorized into age groups, so the older children were the first to go. Rainbow Dash, along with some of the young pegasi, did her wing stretches in the center of the arena. She just so happened to see Fluttershy speaking to Coach Swiftleet, and a frowned appeared on her blue face. Despite seeing her practice well days before, she still carried that big-eyed nervous look. However, Rainbow Dash turned her head and saw her parents on the cloud stands, cheering really loud and excitedly, and then she smiled. They should have a gold medal for having the biggest voices, she thought.

“Hey Rainbow Crash,” a voice said behind her. Rainbow Dash turned around to see her rival, Blitz Windstrom, sneering down at her. “I hope you didn’t make plans to get to the finish line before I do.”

“What’s the matter, afraid being beaten by a girl… again?” Everyone in earshot can listened to their exchange, some even chuckled at Rainbow Dash’s remark, making Blitz’ white cheeks turn crimson with frustration. “You’re not going to win, Blitz, no matter how hard you try.”

“We’ll see about that. You better watch your back, because I’m liable to fly right past you if you’re not looking, and then we’ll see who has the last laugh.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” said Rainbow Dash. “Don’t forget to reserve your seat at the losers table before you try to catch up with me.”

Finally, pegasi from age eight to ten were next to race. With one last stretch of her wings Rainbow Dash hovered to the starting line. She thought about her parents again, and wondered how loud they will be when she wins first place.

Fluttershy suddenly floated next to her, wearing those old-fashioned aviator hat with goggles attached. Rainbow Dash couldn’t believe they let her wear that ridiculous thing. Then she knelt down with her front hooves stretched on the ground in the starting position, like she actually knew what she’s doing. Rainbow Dash silently scoffed at her. “In your dreams,” she muttered.

Time slowed down when the countdown began. While everything seemed to be still only one thought came to Rainbow Dash: I’m going to win! I have to win this! I’m the best! I will always be the best! It’s my destiny! She liked that word, destiny. Her parents often reminded her that hard work and practice will get her far in life, but Rainbow Dash truly believed her greatness is in fate’s hooves, and the odds were always in her favor. “I’m the best around,” she repeated to herself.

The black and white checkered flag waved, and the flyers were off speeding away. Rainbow Dash flapped her wings, forcing herself forward. Her multicolored hair pushed backwards the more she increased her speed. The world became a fast-moving blur and she wouldn’t stop for anything. Rainbow Dash looked back at the other races, including Blitz Windstrom, who wasn’t far behind, not that it mattered. She looked forward, focusing all of her energy. However, something didn’t feel right. She felt a strange presence. Although she told herself not to do it Rainbow Dash looked to her side.

Fluttershy was right beside her. She only had to flap her wings a few times and let herself glide in the air with ease. Fluttershy had done what was thought impossible. She caught up with Rainbow Dash.

The finish line was only a few minutes away. Rainbow Dash used all of her strength and might to pull forward, but Fluttershy was right on her tail. As Rainbow Dash pushed forward she didn’t feel well. Doubt filled her once confident spirit. Could it be that Fluttershy is actually a great flyer? The finish line was now two minutes away. There’s no way she’s going to let Fluttershy take away her victory. Rainbow Dash had to be the best. It was her destiny.

With one quick move she bumped into Fluttershy, then watched the pink-haired pegasus stumble out of the route. Rainbow Dash became number one again, the finish line and first place within her grasp. Nothing is going to stop her now. However, she became caught up in the moment she didn’t realize the referee appeared in front her. The ref blew his whistle and Rainbow Dash quickly skidded in the air to stop herself, as did the other flyers. She wondered why they stopped from finishing. The referee announced with a loud voice that Rainbow Dash made an illegal move, which caused everyone from the racers to the spectators to let out a gasp. Her eyes grew wide with fear. For a moment she had forgotten what happened until she looked to the side to see some pegasi making sure Fluttershy was okay. Then she looked at the faces of the flyers, all of them shocked at the development, including of all ponies Blitz Windstrom. Dread crept up her spine like a nasty bug. She can feel something terrible was about to happen, and she was correct. It didn’t take long for the referee disqualify her from the race.


It was decided the race will start over since nobody crossed the finish line. Rainbow Dash was forced to watch the race from the sidelines as the other flyers went on to achieve their glory. A dark cloud of shame floated her, and her spirits were lower than before when she watched Fluttershy and Blitz take the lead. Although it looked like Blitz may be the projected winner, Fluttershy gave it her all and caught up with him. Finally, after eight minutes of flying around the arena, the flyers crossed the finish line. Rainbow Dash cringed as they made the announcements.

“In first place, Blitz Windstrom! In second place, Fluttershy…”

Despite her second place win everyone, from the flyers to the camp counselors, gathered around Fluttershy; congratulating her, saying they never seen her fly like that, paying their much due respects. Even Blitz Windstrom shook her hoof and commended her for her flying. Rainbow Dash hadn’t removed herself from her seat on the sidelines. The fastest flyer ever was no more. Everyone forgot about her.

Two figures loomed over her. Without saying a word, Rainbow Dash’s mother and father looked at her with disappointed faces. The young filly spoke up with a low and weak voice, “I know you’re upset. I’m sorry I didn’t win. I’ll do better next time, I promise.”

“We’re not upset because you didn’t win,” her mother said matter-of-factly. Even though she didn’t mention it directly, Rainbow Dash understood. She looked at how happy Fluttershy was knowing she’s finally accepted as an equal. Coach Swiftleet appeared to congratulate her, not caring that she won second place. The filly and her parents exchanged another silent gaze, and she knew what she have to do to be in good graces with not just Fluttershy, but with everyone at flight camp. Rainbow Dash slowly made her way through the celebrating crowd of children to Fluttershy. The two spent a few moments looking at each other, not saying a word until Rainbow Dash finally spoke.

“I’ve done something really stupid today. I became caught up in winning and being the best that I almost hurt a fellow flyer. I could’ve ruin this great day for everyone just because I felt I had to protect my dumb reputation. I know now that I’m wrong. Not only did I get myself disqualified, but I probably lost everyone’s respect.” She extended her blue hoof to Fluttershy. “I’m sorry for pushing you out of the way, and I hope you can forgive me. And I want to say you are truly the best.”

Fluttershy looked at the blue hoof stretched out to her, not quite sure of what to do with it. Nobody said a word, the children being anxious whether the second place winner will make the next move. Rainbow Dash studied those big blue eyes, and when it seem like nothing will happen she became ready to face rejection.

Suddenly, Fluttershy slowly took her hoof and shook it. She smiled at Rainbow Dash, and the blue pegasus smiled back.

Being disqualified from the race made her realize that being the best and winning isn’t what life is all about. She made a promise not only to herself but to her parents to always accept defeat with humility and grace, and to never look down on ponies who aren’t as athletic as her. From that day onward Rainbow Dash no longer saw Fluttershy as a weakling who wasn’t worth her time, and as their new friendship blossomed she instead saw her as a remarkable pony with potential just waiting to be unlocked. Who knows, maybe in a few years down the road she’ll do something much more impressive than winning second place at the Junior Races.

Comments ( 4 )

Mm.
Solid idea that falls apart about halfway through, and really pretty slipshod writing. Invest in a style manual and an editor.

Why do so many people write out that Fluttershy is a faster flier than Rainbow Dash? This story completely contradicts what Fluttershy is as a character and how she grew up.

“I’m not kidding. Coach Swiftleet has been training her for weeks,”

If that was the case, there would be no reason why she is the way she is in Hurricane Fluttershy, or even during that day when Rainbow Dash made her first Sonic Rainboom as a filly. She wouldn't be, Fluttershy.

9212683
I know it contradicts canon, I was just trying to stir up some conflict to make it interesting.

Thank you for the critique.

This is an interesting idea and the moral at the end is good, though I’d say this story would deserve some more fine polishing. First and foremost, I don’t see an AU tag here, so this story should technically make sense in canon. However, as others mentioned, older Fluttershy in the show is still rather awkward at flying, unlike the filly you have there. Furthermore, the mention of Dashie being able to fly at the speed of sound implies she already got her cutie mark—rolling with the canon, that happened when she was protecting her friend, Fluttershy. So, why is she so dismissive of the filly all of sudden?

Next, when deciding to read the story, it is clear that Fluttershy is somehow going to prove she is a good flyer. The question that should drive the reader on is, how is Fluttershy going to achieve that? And I feel this is the weakest point of the story, as it didn’t deliver any (ideally surprising) explanation. You can say that it may have been because Rainbow didn’t train enough and that because Fluttershy had a talented coach, but both of these reasons are rather unconvincing and mundane.

So, to sum it up, a good story premise, but the execution is quite rough around the edges.

Login or register to comment