• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 1,280 Comments

Earning Freedom - Daxisle



Big Macintosh was a simple apple farmer pony, but once he's imprisoned under false charges for sexual favors, he receives a package in his cell containing means for his escape, and a letter that would change the way he saw the world forever.

  • ...
37
 1,280
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
Reckoning

Reckoning

Sin sat on the morning train bound for Ponyville, his eyes were cast downward as his self demonetization finally passed it's verbal stage and began demanding physical punishment. Not yet though, he'd have to wait. Shade, who was sitting across from him with the eyes of a hawk, had halted his punishments before; and no doubt would do so again.

What really got to him was the fact the bat pony had actually borded the train while it was in motion. The conductor of the tram didn't take kindly to the late bored stow away and demanded he depart immediately. At least until Shade pushed him against the wall and swore to devour any foals he may have or plan on having. After calling the attack off, Sin tossed the last of his bits to the ticket taker and settled the situation.

While his friend had good intentions, Sin messing up wasn't tolerable. Sure there are mistakes, but that was simply forgetting your bag when you went to work or putting on another pony's cloak on a cold day when you leave a restaurant. To be completely blindsided on an issue he should have seen a mile away wasn't a hapless mistake. It was down right idiocy.

'Stupid fucking retard! How could I have not seen the possible connection?! Sickle was a populist just as much as Mallet was. Just what excuse could I have for not even considering there to be a an acquaintanceship between the two? Tapio's beard that's just common sense!'

Thus, they sat in silence. The Federalist eager to slam his head into something and the Equestrian ready to stop him.

Suddenly he was jerked forward, the sound of metal grinding pierced his ears as the train came to a stop. "That's just wonderful." Sin thought aloud rubbing his muzzle. The small crowed within the car began murmuring why the train had stopped where it was. They weren't at Ponyville yet, so why-

A loud roar echoed through the car. Sin and Shade shared a quick glance before hurrying to the side of the car, forcing the door open and jumping outside. Sin drew his crossbow from his saddle bag and loaded two bolts. Looking to their destination, they both gasped at the sight of a giant purple scaled, green spined dragon within the village.

Sin stood in shock for a moment while Shade could only gape in offence. "That little upstart prick!" The bat pony spat before shooting off to confront the drake. Leaving his associate to slump a little where he stood.

"As if today couldn't get any better."


Twilight and her Applejack scattered as a giant purple foot came crashing to their current position. "Spike!" The librarian called, but to no avail. It was just like last time, Spike had lost himself to his greed again. Except, this time was different; instead of going on a collection binge and taking what was in claw's reach, the drake acted afraid. For some reason, he'd walk one way one second, than do a complete about face the next.

The only ponies in sight were the the few town guards the small village had to offer.

"Twilight!" Applejack screamed before the lavender mare felt her tail being yanked and pulled out of the way of another foot step.

"Spike!" Twilight cried again. "Please Spike, listen to me."

"T'aint no use sugarcube." Applejack placed her hoof on Twilight's shoulder. "He ain't in his righ' mind again."

Twilight couldn't bare seeing her son like this. He looked so sad and scared. She thought Sin had taught him to control his greed, but the display before her proved the contrary. Why thought? Why did he do this to himself?

Suddenly, a dark whirl flew above the ponies heads and slowed to a stop until it was directly in front of the rampaging monster's face. "SPIKE!" Shade yelled, gaining the dragon's attention and spoke the way only a madpony would. "Three days, Spike! Three bucking days I leave you alone, and that's the time you decide to go on a destructive rampage?!"

The bat pony looked around and took in the town. "Look at this!" He exclaimed motioning to the buildings. "Look at this partially destroyed town. Not mostly destroyed, not even half destroyed. but partially. This, my friend, is sloppy work at best! For Discord's sake, the hospital doesn't even have a scratch on it, and the school's right there! Right over there!" Literally, about twenty feet away.

The dragon stood confused for a moment before registering the multiple insults and swiping a claw to try to capture the pegasus. He opened his clenched fist to find no Shade within.

"OI!" He turned to his left shoulder to find his target tapping his hoof impatiently. "Don't get mad at me because you don't know how to bring chaos and destruction properly." Spike swatted at his shoulder, only to find the pegasus on his other. "You're doing it WRONG!"

In a rage, the huge dragon roared and managed to swat the pony away as he tried to dodge the next attack. Shade regained himself mid-fall and hovered a good thirty meters from his friend. "Alright." He whispered softly in acknowledgement before wiping a bit of blood from the corner of his mouth. "Let's see what you've got, dragon boy."


It didn't take Sin too long to reach the besieged village. Had he not seen it for himself, he wouldn't have believed it.

A numbed feeling of shock filled him as he removed any doubt that the monstrosity actually was Spike. How'd he get so big so fast? Was it the greed getting to him? Seemed like the best explanation.

He dug deep into his saddlebag and retrieved a carefully covered bolt head from a small pocket at the bottom and removed the dark red covering. While the three were at the Nightmare Night festival, he came across a vender selling exotic flora.

Since he was traveling with -and agreed- to help grow Spike, Sin made an insurance purchase just in case things didn't go as planned.

As sure as he was about the authenticity of the plant he'd bought, he was hesitant. Spike was his friend, one of the few he'd ever really had, and Sin had no intentions on ever causing him pain. Life, however, had always shown him that insurance was a friend greater than any.

Steeling himself and numbing his emotions for whatever may come, the pony ran to the town square to find Twilight Sparkle yelling at that the rampaging beast, with Mac's sister keeping close by.

"What happened?" He barked rushing up to her.

"We don't know." Twilight replied sadly and turned to reveal her tear ridden eyes. "I don't know." Her eyes went back to the sky, where a rainbow streak was now flying around the dragon along with Shade's black one.

"Applejack and I were just grabbing a bite from the cafe' when Rainbow Dash came up and said that there was something wrong with Spike and... " She trailed off and looked back.

"Right." Sin nodded. "This happened before, didn't it? How did you stop him last time?"

The two mares were silent for a moment, at least until another roar from Spike made them gasp in surprise. "Rarity! Rarity made him come back to his senses."

It took a second to explain, but from what the Federalist gathered, it was Spike's love for the unicorn that calmed him down.

"Yea, that' not going to work again."

Groaning, the pony looked around the quazi-destroyed market district. There was some rope flung haphazardly, but he doubted it would serve the purpose he needed it to.

Another screamed for the dragon's attention, though, this one came from an eccentric pink party pony with a... giant cake on her head? What the hell? Wait, were those candles?

"You got big, Spike! I thought your birthday wasn't for another three months, but I don't know how dragon years work. So I made you a cake! Now blow out the candles!" She squeeked before jumping out of the way of a giant clawed foot bore down on her, smashing the pastry flat.

"Hey!" The mare pouted looking at the culinary destruction, "You didn't even try it yet."

It was official, Sin's gut was actually wrong. She was either insane or extremely idiotic. Probably both.

Twilight called out to her, causing the party mare to rush over with a pushed out lip. "I tell ya, some ponies just don't know how to share a good cake."

"Ah'd love to agree with'cha Pinkie, but we have bigger problems." Applejack motioned.

Twilight called the other two to order and began forming a plan. Discarding the former senator's words, they intended to find Rarity and see if she could work her magic like last time.

"It will not work." Sin repeated.

"And how do you know that?" Twilight barked defensively.

"Because he doesn't love her anymore."

Twilight looked taken aback but was cut off before she could retort. "Ah think he's righ', sPard'ner." Her friend sighed. "Haven' ya noticed th' way he'd been treatin' her?

After a moment of thought, Twilight reluctantly nodded her head and sighed. "Does anypony have any ideas?"

She received no answer. Just two mare's with folded back ears and a sad eyes.

Suddenly a flash of blue passed by them and skidded on the ground until crashing into fruit stand. Rainbow Dash poked her head out of the collapsed debris, her eyes wiggling to regain focus.

"Rainbow!" Twilight exclaimed and ran to her friend, concern written into her features.

"Oh, hello Miss Sparkle, might you have the new Daring Do and and the Kingdom of the Crystal Empire?" The pegasus replied in a daze.

The scollar looked to her friends for help, personally Sin was surprised she flyer drew breath. Considering how fast she had hit the ground, it was amazing she hadn't snapped her neck.

However, her condition wasn't to last and with a quick smack from Applejack, regained her senses. "Owww." She favored her cheek. "Oh man, anypony get the number of that dragon?"

While the others were busy with their could-be-injured friend, Sin bolted to the dragon's position. If he could some how get Spike's attention, he could probably lead him away from the town. "Shade!" He barked. In a moment, the bat pegasus flew down and looked irritably at his friend.

"Sin, can you not see that I am in the middle of a lecture here! What is so bucking important?"

"I need you're help to lead him away from the town to-"

"Lead him away? Oh no,no,no no. He's going to destroy this town, and he's going to do it right!" Shade threatened before flying back up to scold the dragon while simultaneously avoiding any strikes from his claws.

Oh boy, he's in one of those moods. Trying to keep his cool, he looked around while trying to find something, anything, he could use as some kind of bait to save the town. His eyes rested on a plethora of well dressed and spaced trees off in the distance.

Ohhhh was Mac going to hate him for this...

"Hey Shade!" Sin barked repeatedly until he finally had the desired attention. "You see all those trees over there? You see how orderly and uh... properly spaced they are?"

The bat pony's eyes went wide as he beheld Sweet Apple Acers. His face crumpled into a sneer and his golden eye twitched. "Daw hell naw!" He proclaimed before shooting off. Luckily, Spike found more interest in Shade than he found in the rest of Ponyville and gave chase. Though, a large log of some kind was flew forth from out of no where and slammed into the dragon's knees, causing it to slip to the ground.

"Now Rainbow!" The voice of Twilight yelled. To Sin's surprise, Rainbow Dash and Applejack ran out into the field where Spike currently lay, carrying with them a large and thick weave of multiple ropes, and proceeded to tie his legs together. Twilight, and now Rarity, joined the duo with another rope for his arms using their combined magic.

Just as the two unicorn's restraint had touched the disoriented beast, the lavender and alabaster aura disappeared and fell loosely around his extended wrists. "What?!"

Gaining his senses, Spike began to stur again.

"Come on you two!" Rainbow yelled. "Get his wrists already!"

Twilight and Rarity shared fearful look than tried to pick up the rope again, this time unable to even grasp it. "Twilight, our magic, it's not working."

The mentioned gave her friend a look. "Yea, I got that. Now RUN!" All the ponies scattered as Spike sat up strait and tried to get to his feet, the ropes tied around his ankles at least doing their jobs.

Disappointed that the Equestrian's plan didn't work, Sin took a bit of comfort in the fact that the dragon was no longer in the town at least. Shade was of no help now, and options were quickly running out. Wonderful, his day just couldn't get any better, could it? He wondered down to the four mares to find them arguing about the failed plot.

"Why didn't you guys tie up his hands? You had one job!" The flier complained.

"We don't know! Well..." Twilight had a look of sudden realization. "It could be... But no, that can't be right."

"What is it dear?"

Twilight looked at the semi-bound dragon with squinted eyes than began to approach. She charged a spell, causing her horn to glow and shot it directly at the dragon's flank. To all the being's surprise, the spell had absolutely no effect. Spike didn't even seem to register it.

"I don't believe it."

"Wha' happened?"

"He's immune to my magic."

Well, that's inconvenient

"What? That's impossible!" Rainbow yelled. "You've never had problems with it before."

Twilight sat in thought for a moment before coming to yet another realization. "Of course, I can't believe I forgot! Dragon's are immune to magic!"

'And that's extremely inconvenient.'

"Wai' wha'? That can' be righ. I've seen ya pick up Spike loads o' times wit'cher magic." Applejack pointed out.

"It's his scales." Twilight countered. "When dragons mature, their scales become magic resistant."

'And that's just six ways of over powered.'

Take magic out of the equation and didn't look good at all. What's worse, the attempt the girls made became worthless for Spike, as lacking intelligence as he currently was, figured out his impairment and cut the binds around his ankles. Their voices drew the drake's attention and with a deliberate growl, charged for the conglomerate.

The ponies scattered, avoiding the rack of claws that left a gash in the earth at least three feet deep. Useless to the cause, Rarity and Twilight could only watch in angst as Rainbow took to the air and redouble her efforts to preoccupy the dragon by flying around it like an annoying bee.

"Alright y'all, we gotta think a' somethin', before this gets outta hoof." Sin stifled a chuckle. She thought they had this under control at what point exactly? Still, there were truth to her words, the damage done was mild, and would only become more sever the longer this went on. If they didn't stop the dragon, he'd have to.

Sin drew back his bow and observed the dragon's underbelly. Where would be a good spot to put the bolt?

"What do you think you're doing?" He heard Twilight say. He wasn't looking at her, but with the clarity and tone of her voice, it was obvious who she was talking to.

"Trying to find the weakest part of his body," he answered inattentively.

"To do... what exactly?"

"Shoot him."

Twilight's eyes widened in horror. "NO!" She stood directly in front of the Federalist. "You can't shoot him!"

"If you have a better alternative, I'm all ears."

The lavender pony pressed her lips and her eyes shuffled. Clearly, she'd never been in too many predicaments where magic wasn't her trump card.

"Wha'cha think tha' thing'll do anyway?" The farmer pointed to his bow. Spike's hide was thick, no doubt about that, but if the bolt hit true, this issue would be resolved. May trade it for another problem, but at least no one would die. He left with out answering and ran up on top of the hill over seeing the market district and took aim with a normal bolt to see if he was capable of piercing the dragon's underbelly.

"NO!"

His bow was thrown to the side before the arrow fired, missing by, literally, a mile. Sin turned with every intention of smacking who ever responsible, silly but found his bow holding leg stuck in place, a purple glow around it. "I wont let you shoot him!"

Despite himself, Sin actually took in the feeling of being touched by magic. It was a warm, soothing sensation that fluctuated in rhythm with the slightest bit of pressure. And by all things freedom oriented did he hate it.

With a slow turn of the head, Sin growled for his release. Twilight wouldn't have it though, her eyes sat determined with a hint of anger.

"If you have a better alternative, than by all means." Sin seethed again. The librarian held his standoffish gaze. Her eyes began to drill holes into his goggles, the eyes of a mother protecting her young. Even though Sin didn't want to become too emotional, he felt empathy for how difficult the situation must be for her. A pony whom she barley knows and probably despises is offering to send an arrow through her son and maybe kill him. Just thinking about it made him a bit hesitant.

With tears beginning to form, Twilight stepped away and released Sin from her magic.

He wanted to offer words of comfort, about how she didn't need to worry, but he couldn't. The effects of what he'd laced the tip of the bolt head with weren't specific. The vender just said the plant's sap was meant to "Stop dragons". Whether that meant killing them or disabling them had yet to be determined.

With another swipe of his claw, Rainbow Dash was sent flying out of control again. This time, she was lucky enough to have a house roof cushion her fall.

Sin took a breath and put the special bolt into it's place. "I'm sorry Spike." He mumbled before taking aim.

THUD

The bolt protruded into the yellow underside of the beast and Spike roared in pain.

Though, it was only the pain of penetration. All the bolt had succeed in doing was angering the beast farther. His mistake realized too late, Sin was gripped in Spike's crushing claws before he could make it ten steps.

As he was brought up to look the dragon in his angry emerald eyes, the stallion couldn't help but try his luck in comedy at the familiarity of the situation. "Now, I know what you're thinking. 'Should I crush him' and the answer may surprise you."

The crushing grip of claws that consumed him made it obvious his joke wasn't well received. Though, despite the claws digging though his cloak, the air forced from his lungs, and the raising panic for his person; the former senator's mind was on the fact that this predicament was his fault; going over the multiple mistakes he made.

Failing to give Spike more discipline on how to control his greed, failure to see -or perhaps care- that his friend was in such a vulnerable state, and most importantly of all, failure to have a back up plan for the failure of the dragonsbane.

PreviousChapters Next