• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 1,280 Comments

Earning Freedom - Daxisle



Big Macintosh was a simple apple farmer pony, but once he's imprisoned under false charges for sexual favors, he receives a package in his cell containing means for his escape, and a letter that would change the way he saw the world forever.

  • ...
37
 1,280
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
Phase IV

Phase IV

Macintosh stood in wide eyed disbelief. He thought he'd misheard Uppity's words, the briefest hopes of a clogged ear, or a split second of not paying attention. Though, the conversation continued, Hurricane asked her to repeat herself and Uppity did. Mac focused, determined not to mis-hear her this time, but she said the same thing.

"Sin's dead."

They were talking about something else, now, but Macntosh could only focus on the black, broken and circluar goggles on the table. No, no, no, no, no, no, NO! NO! This couldn't be true. Sin? The pony he considered on of his closest friends? No, no he couldn't be dead! They were just... just messing with him! Yea, they were trying to throw him off of his game, make him slip up!

'Mac...'

That had to be it, they knew he was coming, they found out and set this up to mess with him. Clever bastards, trying to use Sin's arrest as a means to make him out to be dead.

'Macintosh.'

Well he wouldn't fall for it, he was going to follow through with the plan, he was going to dispurse these demonstrations, get rid of the communists and the Trotski, go back to the dungeon and find his friend sitting there in his cell, waiting for him. That's what was going to happen, he wouldn't be tricked, he wouldn-

'MACINTOSH!' His mind froze. 'Mac, those goggles are covered in blood. I don't think this is a hoax. How could they set all of this up in such a short amount of time? You'd barely had an hour of public recognition!'

That's right, they didn't have enough time to set this up. Not since he'd just come up as the new influence in the movement not two hours ago. Was it a spy within the castle? Uppity! That's it! She ratted them out, got the intel and shared it with the Trotski, that's the only explination. But why? She loved Sin, why would she sell Mac and them out? Did Sin put her up to this? He had to have, he didn't want Mac invovled in this any more, so it would stand to reason tha-

'Sin didn't- doesn't want you to come to harm, Mac. Why would he have Uppity so blatantly out you in the lion's den?'

No, no Sin wouldn't do that to him. As cruel as the pony was, the Federalist was coming from the right place. He wanted Macintosh safe, these actions would lead to him not being safe. Then maybe it was Uppity on her own? But why? He and Sin were friends, surely she wouldn't endanger him like this...

Uppity said her peace and left the tent. Macintosh stood up abruptly and gave pursuite, pushing past the two guards who stood in his way. He followed her at a brisk trot, his mind focused as he began to catch up. She'd tell him, she'd tell him everything he wanted to know.

The two passed into an ally way and Uppity stopped, Macintosh halted a few feet behind her and listened to her gentle sobs. "Macintosh, I..." She hicupped, not daring to look at him.

"What's goin' on?" He growled, his anger begining to boil. His words made her flinch and tremble. He wouldn't be manipulated by crying mares... not this time. "AH SAID WHAT'S GOIN' ON!?"

His words came out more pained than authoritative, his mind still in denial over what she'd said. The mare turned and looked at Macintosh. As soon as her tearfilled eyes met his, something in him clicked. The denial was useless, silently slipping into the deeperst recesses of his mind. The pain in her eyes was real, too real. It was true.

His friend was dead.

Suddenly, unable to control himself, Mac dashed forward and grabbed Uppity by the shoulder. He threw her against the wall and growled as he looked into her pained and pleading expression. "WHY? WHY DID YA BETRAY US!?" He bellowed, refraining himself from beating the mare senseless. From the way she'd made it sound, she did nothing to stop Sin's death, and her association pointed to her actually being involved with it.

"I- I'm sorry..." She rasped, not even lifting a hoof to push him off. "i- it's my fault." She repeated the phrases over and over, each word making the situation more real. Mac slammed his hoof into the wall with enough force to leave a cracked indent mere inches from her head. He wanted answers as to why, not if she was responsible or not. But no matter what he demanded of her, Uppity just kept repeating those five words.

Finally, he dropped her and began to walk away, unsure of what else to do. He couldn't focus, he couldn't concentrate, all he could feel was seething rage and sickening heartbreak. The last words he'd ever said to his friend was "buck you". An insult, an insult he'd never be able to take back. He... he would never get to apologize for that, never be able to say a proper good bye.

The stallion rubbed his eyes and found tears had run the full length of his cheek, he'd been crying.

"Here." He turned, finding two small envelopes in front of him, his name on the front of one, and Spike's on the other. Uppity looked down, more ashamed than before. "S- Sin told me to give this to you be- before he-"

Mac snatched the letter from her grasped and barked at her to leave. "Ah nevah wanna lay eyes on you again. Nao leave!"

The mare simply nodded and turned around before walking away at a depressingly slow pace.

With her gone, Mac turned his attention to the letter, he'd held his breath and opened it.

Macintosh.

If you're reading this, then I am most likely dead.

I want to start out by saying don't be mad at Uppity. It isn't my place to tell you why she's done what she's done, but I assure you there was a reason for it. Please, she's suffered enough.

From what I've been told, the Trotski will be using my death in the government's custody as a means to rally the masses against Celestia and the empire. Understand that it was the communists and Trotski themselves who have planned my assassination. Celestia and Luna had absolutely no part in it.

I'd also like to say that I'm sorry, for everything I've ever done to bring you and yours suffering. I'll never get another chance to apologize, and with the circumstances as they are, I believe you will understand if my head isn't entirely clear to all the wrongs I've done against you. So, I'm sorry for each and every one of them now. The main one that comes to mind is what I said about your grandmother. It was wrong on my part, and I wish I could take it back. I ask for your forgiveness on that account, but I'll understand if you refuse it.

There are a few other things I'd like to get off my chest while I'm still able, sorry if it's a bit oddly worded.

I've never told you this before, but I've admired you, Macintosh. From the day I saw you walk out of that jail one year ago, I knew you were an exceptional stallion. My time spent with you was probably the... happiest time of my life. You showed me that there were still decent ponies in the world, that life didn't have to be about the failings and misery of the past. Funny as it sounds, I've often thought that, if I'd never become jaded by politics and the grand scheme of things, you were the kind of stallion I wanted to be.

I'd meant what I said about your humility and honor. You're a fine pony, and I wish you the very best in life.

I'd also like to say that while I still don't think you should risk your life and time trying to stop the protesters, I'll offer a few tips on how to deal with them. Don't let your frustrations get the better of you, you're not there to convince them of your own ideals, you're there to discourage them to the point of disenfranchisement and making them want to give up. And most importantly, if things look like they are about to get violent, leave. Run and find safety. You're not there to fight, you're there end things peaceably.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but a foal needs their father, a foal needs both parents in their life. I can attest to just how important it is to miss out on having two parents. Equestria is still a great country, a place I might have considered starting my own family in if things happened differently. I ask that you not throw away your chances like I did.

Aside from that, the last thing I wanted to say was this: Do you remember that second letter I gave you? The one from my first trial that was addressed to you and Spike? I ask that you re-read the second part of that again. I don't remember what I said in it, but I know it was more heartfelt than what I could write here.

Be with your friends and family, Macintosh. Love them and live in warmth and companionship.

The world is a cold place, always hold those you love and trust close to you for warmth...

Good bye, my friend.

Regards,
Sin.

P.S. Look after Uppity for me, will you? I know you may hate her guts right now, but as I've said before, she's suffered enough, and I don't want her hurting any more than she already is.

Thank you, and good bye, my friend.

Multiple tear drops soaked into the parchment. Slowly, Mac folded the letter and sat on his haunches. There was no place in range for privacy, so there, in the dirty and shadowed alley way, the stallion wept in loss.


"Okay, hold on." Spike said, rubbing his temples. Twilight, her friends, Shining, Cadance and surprisingly, Sombra sat around a table inside of the crystal palace. Sombra willingly allowed himself to be chained, though continually insisted them pointless. That was, until Spike had wrapped a few of his dragon scales around the stallion's body. An act the fell king allowed.

This was just too weird. He and Twilight had gone through so much trouble to get the Crystal Heart in an effort to defeat the mad pony before them, and here he was surrendering after his assault? There were mental scares in his mind the dragon would never get rid of thanks to this megalomaniac, and he'd be denied the satisfaction of seeing him obliterated.

"I know, I'm just as confused as you are." Twilight agreed, eyeing Sombra. "It just doesn't make any sense. You'd placed the empire under siege when we arrived, you tried to kill my brother."

Sombra shook his head solemnly. "Correction, he attacked me and I disabled his magic." He argued. The harsh stares around the room silently beat down his resolve. "However, during my time in Celestia and Luna's contempt, I've had much time to reflect upon my actions. My treatment of the Crystal Empire, while within my right, was not a sutible display for honorable royalty."

"Then why did you attack us?" Cadance asked calmly.

Sombra sighed again. "When I laid eyes upon the empire, my heart filled with rage over what had happened last I was here. One thousand years alone doth leave one's mind in a state of... instability, you understand."

"For one thousand years, I was trapped beneath glaciers of ice and cold. Left with nothing but my own thoughts and self to occupy that time. Tis a simple thing, the mind. So easy to unwind and unravel, I'd become bored with dark magic induced insanity and attempted to rework my mind back into a better state, back before the... darkness."

Spike just couldn't wrap his mind around such a concept. Becoming bored with being insane? Having a mind that didn't shut down after over a thousand years of isolation? How was that possible?

It was pointless to think about, after all, he was barely a decade old. His entire life wasn't even a fraction of time compared to the isolation Sombra had experienced.

"You asked about Luna's darkness before, what did you mean about that?" Shining Armor asked, still apprehensive. His horn was free of dark crystals now, thanks to the blackened pony. Sombra answered that he had interacted with the Pony sisters a millennia ago. As it turned out, Sombra was actually Luna's apprentice, while Star Swirl the Bearded was Celestia's.

The unicorn learned much shadow magic from the lunar alicorn, harnessing the night and all of it's mystery to farther aid in taming the great new world long ago. It wasn't hidden knowledge of the land Equestria used to be, but it also wasn't common either. The fields, forests and mountains used to be riddled with creatures of all sorts, the gates of Tartarus lay guarded by another before Cerberus, who's noses could sniff out even the weakest demons who attempted to flee it's gates.

The guardian before had no such inclination and allowed the weaker demons to come and go as they saw fit. Ponies would continually be taken by these demons and used for dark and unknown purposes. Sombra and Star Swirl observed these trends on the outlying villages from the old Capital and proposed different ideas on how to solve the problem.

Star Swirl thought the problem best handled by attaining a new guardian of the gate and worked tirelessly to create an immortal Chimera that he endowed with the power to both detect and contain lesser and greater demons to Tartarus: Cerberus.

King Sombra found his rival's solution too specialized and resource consuming. He wanted a way to protect the nation should the gates ever fail completely, and to return the demons whom already roamed free. Thus, he petitioned his mistress and her sister for the most spectacular creation the world had ever seen, the Crystal Empire.

It's decree was in name only, as it was still apart of the Equestrian Empire, but Sombra wanted a name that inspired his "subjects". To differentiate them, he poured some of his own crystal based prowess over the entire city, making all whom entered crystalline and beautiful in appearance. It was a strictly cosmetic difference, but still one that inspired love and admiration for him. It was, after all, their love and inner light that powered the empire's magical defense matrix: The Crystal Heart.

"Well, that's all... overwhelming and interesting, but that doesn't answer what you were talking about."

Sombra cleared his throat. "I was getting to that, can't a pony give some build up to his own story anymore? Hmph, younglings these days."

Spike had to hold back a chuckle.

'Alright, he may have been a narcissistic tyrant, but that was funny.'

"Now where was I? Oh yes. Before mine banishment to the north came to pass, mine mistress and I had spoken at length. She was becoming irritable, depressed and inconsolable. I tried to offer reassurance and comfort as best I could, but mine mistress was convinced of her lesser worth in the eyes of her subjects. They did not respect the night as Luna had desired, electing instead to sleep it away and spend all waking moments basking in Celestia's sun."

All ponies in the room cringed, each quite familiar with that particular story.

"After that, mine Mistress began to deviate from Shadow magic into something else. A magic that tempted her and preyed upon her weakness and insecurities, offering to give her the praise and satisfaction she so rightly deserved."

"Dark magic." Twilight declared. Sombra nodded.

It made a disturbing amount of sense. The story always went on about how Luna became the nightmare out of jealousy and spite, but it never gave the point of breaking. It never explained at what point the lunar pony actually stopped being Princess Luna and became Nightmare Moon. Throwing dark magic in as a variable did answer a lot of questions.

"So if y'all saw her turning bad, why didn't ya stop her?" Applejack asked.

His eyes trailed to the cow pony. "It isn't an apprentices place to control their better, little pony."

That sentiment earned quite a few quips from around the table, including Spike. To a pony like Sombra, Twilight would be considered "his better" yet he constantly found times when she needed his advice. Just because somepony was of a lower caste didn't mean their opinions and concerns weren't valid.

However, things worked differently a thousand years ago, Sombra argued. It was obvious he was becoming frustrated with the situation, despite the fact he put effort in remaining cordial. Finally Cadance was the one to play devil's advocate and try to convey the stallion's point. It was a moment of cognitive dissonance for all ponies present, but they settled to let the issue die, rather than try to convince him how wrong he was in his belief.

"So you tried to warn Celestia, but she didn't listen?" Cadance asked.

Sombra nodded. "I could not intervene in mine mistress's affairs, but her elder might. I spoke with Star Swirl and pleaded for him to convince his mistress of her folly. Unfortunately, Celestia was drunk on her pride and blinded by her righteousness. She cared little to see mine mistress's plight, leaving her to seek her due recognition elsewhere."

The room was quiet, each pony unable to believe what they were hearing. The stories always made it sound as if Celestia had no knowledge of Luna's betrayal, like it had just come up out of the blue. How could the wise and kind ruler they all came to love and trust act so callously? This was, of course, assuming all of his words were true.

The conversation dwindled down before switching gears to a more relevant matter. Sombra himself. More specifically what to do with him now that they'd taken him prisoner. The rational place to start was to determine if he was currently still a threat to the empire. The dark unicorn denied any and all accusation about him wanting to rule over the crystal ponies again. He'd been trapped in a frozen glacier for a thousand years, he was done with crystaline prisons for a while.

What he really wanted was to see his mistress again and see how she fared over the years. Also, now that the land was tamed, Sombra wanted to wonder the countryside and see the land, free of all the misery and dangers he and Star Swirl worked so hard to be rid of.

Spike found it all pretty fishy. That shadow thing he'd seen outside the empire, what was stopping him from turning back into that and running amok across Equestria?

'What's stopping Discord from returning to his old ways?'

Touche.

"Why did you become a tyrant? If you were as noble as you claim you were, than what happened to make turn evil?"

The inquiry made the fell king flinch as if slapped. He eyed Twilight for a long and tense moment before speaking. "Mine mistress was not alone in her studies of the darker magics, little pony. She asked for my help in searching for the spells she sought. Tis then when we came before the Nightmare." Sombra frowned, his proud veneer dropping. "I asked her once, and only once, to reconsider her crusade. She paid me no heed. Mine mistress was determined and suborn in her ways, often using hostility and intimidation for her gains."

'Not much has changed on that account.'

Apparently, during the duo's research into the dark magic, Luna had summoned the Nightmare out of a desperate and painful sense of need. A need for recognition, a need for acceptance, a need for satisfaction. Sombra was subsequently present during the Nightmare's summoning, and after it possessed Luna, it also did give him... something.

He couldn't recall exactly what had happened, but after the spirit entered Luna's being, the Alicorn turned to him and spoke words that no mortal should ever hear before he blacked out. When he awoke, the fell king felt different, off from who he was. He didn't turn hateful or spiteful starting off, just... lesser.

For the most part, everything seemed to be getting better. His mistress was happier than before, smiling more and giggling. He dismissed his own feelings as trauma from delving into dark magic. Though, as time went on, his mind began to play out scenarios of betrayal and destruction. Of the pony sisters combining their powers in an attempt to dominate the world. It was an absurd idea, of course, but something within his mind told him that it was not only possible, but inevitable.

What was worse was during his time in the old Everyfree Castle, he'd see Luna giggling and talking to herself on occasion. Speaking of things he found concerning and frightening. He'd confronted her once, to which she kindly informed him that there was nothing wrong and that he "shouldn't worry so much." Sombra wasn't sure if he was becoming delusional or not, but it didn't matter. Her behavior, mixed with his own twisting mind was more than enough to bypass his mistress and Star Swirl and confront Celestia directly.

The fell king wanted to help his mistress, he wanted to confess everything he'd done, but the thing in his mind wouldn't let him. The words simply would not come out of his mouth. Instead, it told him to divide Celestia and Luna. Sombra was reluctant at first, but the voices in his head convinced him that it was for a noble goal. They said the alicorns were conspiring against him, and would soon kill both he and Star Swirl, the two being the only prominent threat to their power. They'd use the Crystal Empire, they'd revers it's matrix and summon the demons of Tartarus to reek havoc upon the world!

He couldn't let that happen, he wouldn't! Though, Celestia was just as deaf to his words as his mistress.

More time passed, and the voices in his mind drove Sombra to madness. He soon stopped caring about the well being of the Crystal ponies he ruled over and began to see them as the leasers that they were.

"That was when I turned and strayed from the path. I became the very thing I'd set out to destroy in the world. A demon, a devil of Tartarus. I was drunk on the power I thought was mine by right. I see now how wrong I was, to that end at least."

The Equestrian's present sat in disbelief. At least until Fluttershy meekly asked why he hadn't saught help personally, just because Luna refused to be helped didn't mean he shouldn't. To which the stallion gave a flat look and said that stallions back in his day didn't dare show such weakness. It was dishonorable and displayed an inability to handle one's own affairs.

'Huh, not much has changed there either.'

There were a few more questions from around the table, Sombra answering each as best he could. Finally he was asked to leave so the group could speak in private about what to do with him now that the Crystal Empire was saved and Sombra had been taken captive.


Spike stood beneath the Crystal Palice in the golden light of the dusk twilight. He eyed the Crystal heart that lay between a stalagmite and stalactite of crystals. It was a well sized heart shaped diamond, one he'd slowly grow to resent over time.

The heart was located at the apex of the palace. Twilight had attempted to retrieve it, but was caught in a magical trap. The heart escaped and came to Spike. Seeing the barrier had fallen, he immediately dashed the stairs and back to the door, clutching his dragon scales tightly. According to Twilight, it was with those that she'd managed to break him of the spell it had cast.

He couldn't believe how much of a waste all of the effort was. By the time he'd gotten down to the bottom, Sombra was already in chains and working to release Shining's horn of the black crystals. The worst part was that nopony had any more of a clue about what was happening than he did. According to them, the fell king confronted Shining Armor and began invading the empire like they thought he would, and even though Sombra was winning, something happened that just... made him give up.

It didn't make any sense to the drake. Even after the pony explained his reflection and own demonic possessions, Spike just had a hard time grasping that all of his urgency and suffering was so needless.

'Well, at least everypony is alright. That's gotta count for something, right?'

Yea, that was true. Well, mostly anyways.

'What did you see in the door? I couldn't sense anything that was going on, all I could tell was that you were terrified, ashamed and felt humiliated. What happened?'

Spike took the time to mentally explain, allowing the images he'd seen to come rushing back to him.

He recalled the teen dragon from before and balled his fists. His gaze hardened as it beheld the crystal heart. The drake hated it, all of his suffering, all of his pain, just so he could bring this thing back when it wasn't even necessary.

Though, thinking about what the teen dragon had said, while making him feel sick and disturbed... also made him feel curious. Like he'd stumbled across a forbidden fruit of knowledge. It was an odd feeling, but something told Spike there was more to what the beast had said than taken at face value.

'That's because there is...' The inner voice said reluctantly.

Oh? Care to share?

'You wanted to grow larger, to have the body you once had back, right? Yet you're still in your baby stage. Why is that?'

Well, that wasn't hard to figure out, he didn't know if he could trust himself to hold back on becoming the rampaging monster again. It had happened twice now, and he wasn't taking any more chances.

'You've maintained control very well. The first time was out of ignorance, the second out of desperation. But Spike... you're not a pony.

Spike wasn't sure why, but that angered him. He knew he wasn't a pony, but hearing it said just sent his temper on edge.

'I know you don't want to hear this, but you are a dragon. You have urges and instincts that ponies will never understand. That's just the fact of life. Do you remember what that dragon from the circus said in Hooftrot? He told you that you'd eventually go through changes, become more aggressive and dominant. It doesn't have to be a bad thing as long as you learn how to deal with it early on.'

What are you getting at with all of this? Where's this even coming from?

'I'm saying that you will eventually grow. Your urges to horde and take will come back to you and that you'll need to learn how to control it when it does. The beast within, the feral and mindless wyrm you became when fighting Fido in the caves, that is what you will become again if you continue to hide from it.'

Spike pondered the notion. Usually he'd dismiss and deny such a thing, seeing the wyrm's deceleration as an attempt to make him go crazy. But what if that wasn't the case? What if it was actually trying to help him? To make him face what he didn't want to see and remind him of the danger he presented to his friends? He was a baby now, but he wouldn't be forever. Ponies had a puberty where they made all kinds of bad decisions and stuff, it only stood to reason that he'd go through something similar.

Seeing enough of the heart, but not wanting to go back inside, Spike went for a walk around the city. The Fair had long since ended, but some ponies were still out and about, mostly gossiping amongst themselves about Sombra's return and what it meant for them. Though, Spike had other matters on his mind. It depressed him that there was such little knowledge on dragons in Equestria, the drake from the circus was who knew where right now, so talking to him wasn't any good.

Well, it might be possible to talk to him. He was part of Annabelle's circus, so she'd know where he was. Though, that would still take him away from work, and between this little adventure and the Changeling invasion, he'd already missed enough.

Ooooh boy, were Jacker and them going to give him flack for this. He didn't even tell them he was leaving! He hoped he still had a job when he got back.

After a few minutes of walking and admiring the local architecture, Spike sighed and admitted to himself that the time thinking would only serve to stress him out more. He turned and began making way back to the palace. He'd had an exhausting day, maybe a little sleep would help clear his head.

Author's Note:

Not a lot going on this time, not in terms of action anyway. Just exposition.

Isn't it fun?

PreviousChapters Next