• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 1,280 Comments

Earning Freedom - Daxisle



Big Macintosh was a simple apple farmer pony, but once he's imprisoned under false charges for sexual favors, he receives a package in his cell containing means for his escape, and a letter that would change the way he saw the world forever.

  • ...
37
 1,280
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
Exit Bliss

Exit Bliss

Walking alone on the grass a few dozen yards inland, Sin cast a squinty eyed glance to the sea shore to check on Krystal and Scootaloo as they flew around the water, and then to the tree line to his left for any looming threats to his person. Angel lay perched atop his back, laying back, munching a provisional carrot they'd gotten from one of the shops back in town, and enjoying the mid-day sunlight and slight stinging salt-smell of the ocean.

Sin didn't much care for the beach, nor the wasted time that following the zig zag of the coast would cost instead of taking a straight shot directly towards Baltimare, but considering the two had agreed to forsake the flying lesson breaks in exchange for Scootaloo to have some soft water to crash in when she fell, he figured it was a good trade off.

The filly was becoming a little more ambitious with her flying now, Krystal had noticed that she responded better to instinctual callings to the mechanisms of flight while in the air as opposed to trying to take off from the ground and the two agreed that the orange pegasus would benefit more in her efforts if this method of learning was employed.

Sin watched and internally gave a sympathetic cringe as Scootaloo spread her wings and was gently released from Krystal's grip, glided for a few feat and crashed unceremoniously into the water.

Scootaloo had guts, nobody could ever deny that. Sin mused.

Even if she did follow the crash instructions to breath out her nose hard on impact, hold out her legs to break the water, and duck her head, it wouldn't save her from the pain such a "landing" promised.

'Guts indeed.'

Bliss was a good day or so behind them now, with Mr. Cyan giving the trio welcome passage at any time they asked.

Sin looked down at the crossbow on his foreleg and the two bolts held strung, the first being one of his old bolts, and the quick load holding one of the incendiary bolts Value had given him. He was thankful for the lessons on the usage of the new projectile, the splash radius of initial explosion was much farther than he'd anticipated, and he wasn't all that sure that a field test of his own would have ended well, much less a combat test outside of a controlled environment.

The real downside was the slight weight difference between the steal tip and the flame arrow.

It was heavier... a lot heavier... It took him about ten bolts into practice, and an incinerated steel backdrop, to finally figure out the needed adjustments to his aim in order to score anything close to mark. Granted, the splash variable made perfect aiming much less necessary, but at the same time, it made precision even more important.

This wasn't just some small arrow who's damage would stop the second it made contact with something, it was fire. Consuming flame that wouldn't stop until it was forced to stop. The flames were nothing special, simple oxygen deprivation put them out, but the hazards and dangers of fire was what concerned him, almost to the point of finding the weapons impractical for anything other than arson and slaughter.

This lead to a ethical dilemma on if Sin should use them at all or not. Not just in the sense of the uncontrollable and insurmountable property and collateral damage that he'd be directly responsible for, but the killing, nay the slaughter, of ponies who'd personally done him no wrong.

As much as he may dislike the Trotski, most of them hadn't done him any harm, not really. Hell, there were even a few ponies within that he liked, that one pony he'd met in the cafeteria area of the compound during his infiltration of the Judgement and his wife were alright, and he'd suspect that the majority of the Trotski were more like them and less like their ruthless leadership... guilt by association set to the side.

'Not to mention that their desire to free themselves from Celestia and Luna's Matriarchal rule does line up a lot with yours.'

Ehh, yea. Though, Sin wasn't too much to criticize Celestia's ruler-ship capabilities... Well, aside from the obvious, anyway.

Yea, Sin may not have liked the Trotski, nor appreciated their aggressive and manipulative tactics, but they did walk the walk of wanting to be free of perceived oppression. Albeit through bad actions, but they were still taking active steps rather than sitting around bitching about it, so credit where it was due.

They were doers, doers with bad leadership. Fact was that, aside from Puddinghead, Clover the Clever and Private Panzy, he hadn't really too much reason to kill the other members. They were willing to riot over his incarceration and death, after all. Granted, it was all a ploy by their leadership, but with those he wanted to kill getting more wise to his tactics, the Federalist had forced his blood lust down for a moment to consider alternative means of his goal.

The lower members of the Trotski probably didn't know who Sin Islander was aside from the pony who'd freed their leaders and "died for their cause"... Those few he'd spoken to on the Judgement only knew him as "Goliath" and would dismiss the truth of his identity and the actions of the Trotski Leadership against him...

As usual, lying put him in a bad spot, but it did give him potential access if the ponies he'd met before could be spoken too... what were their names again? He couldn't remember for the life of him. Hot Wheel or something like that...

'I'm proud of you Sin.' Critic praised. 'Instead of going in and killing them all, you're thinking about using more peaceful tactics to save lives.'

Yea, but the three higher ups were going to die, painfully.

'Well, yes, I'm sure they will, but they are responsible for killing or attempting to kill, so I have no problem with that.'

Three higher ups... There wasn't three, there were four, but Sin wasn't too sure on what to make of the last higher up he'd met, Smart Cookie.

With the way he was acting in Appleloosa, it was clear the pony wasn't the the most diverse and tolerant, but Sin had the brain cells to understand that the stallion's "slip of the tongue" to lead him to the other Trotski was anything but an accident. Not to mention his last bit of telling him where to find the Trotski outside Baltimare...

Oh, the Federalist didn't trust him worth a damn, but he still couldn't figure out why he'd exposed his comrades location like that.

'A trap, maybe?'

Possibly, but why be that elaborate? They had the numbers to ambush him at any time, yet they went all the way to Baltimare and tried to throw him off having the Appleloosa ticketmaster tell Sin that they'd gone to Manehatten. If he was supposed to go to one city, why would they lay a trap in another?

'Possible they knew you'd figure out the truth? But if that was the case, why lie in the first place? Hmmm...'

Hearing a twig snap behind him, Sin quickly spun about and brought his cross bow to bare. Nothing lay behind him aside from the trail he walked and the greening forest beside him that he could see.

But it was what he couldn't see that concerned him, Sombra and Soarin were still tailing them, but he couldn't figure out why they had yet to act. He knew they wouldn't move while he was awake and alert, but they had many chances to get to him while he was asleep, surly they must have seen the numerous times Krystal had passed out while it was her shift, so what were they waiting for?

Grunting, the stallion turned and began walking again, his eyes casting to the sky to find Krystal carrying a very wet Scootaloo in her forelegs.

"I hate salt water!" The filly complained, rubbing her tearful and, no doubt, burning eyes. Krystal brought her gently down, a sympathetic smile on her muzzle.

Sin smirked and returned the scarf he kept on his neck back to the filly. "I told you not to open your eyes in the water." He teased.

Scootaloo stopped rubbing long enough to give the Federalist an, admittedly cute, scowl, it wasn't to last before the burning sent her hooves right back to giving what small relief they could offer.

"Why do you have to be so mean to her?" Krystal asked sternly, placing a hoof onto Scootaloo's shoulder.

Sin shrugged. "Because you coddle her too much."

"I do not!" The pegasus mare shot back.

Tilting his head in an uncharacteristically emotive display, Sin quirked a brow and a knowing grin... And said absolutely nothing. Though, the snickering rabbit on his back said everything that needed to be said. If there was one thing Sin could count on Angel for, it was to send a message.

"What?" Krystal asked impatiently.

Sin remained silent, and Angle's laughing shoulders hiccuped that much more.

"What!?" The mare barked, somehow even more petulantly.

It was so easy to get under Krystal's skin, Sin made sure to keep himself from pushing too far, but seeing her get riled up was always amusing. She was one of those ponies who always wanted to know what was going on, and aside from insulting her family or the prospect of cheating in a relationship, nothing annoyed her more than to be ignorant to the goings on around her. Especially when she was directly involved.

'You are such an ass hole, dude.'

"Never mind." Sin declared turning his back and continuing on the trail.

Walking and thinking quietly to himself as he went.


Slamming her hoof down in a display, Krystal Melody watched one of the most insufferable stallions she'd ever met walk away from her.

She hated how Islander was able to get to her like he did, usually she wouldn't care what other ponies thought about her, but her brain made a special exception for him. An exception that was driving her absolutely nuts!

Usually everypony was so nice to her, they'd tease her from time to time of course, back at the farm and when she'd venture into Twin Springs. Though, she'd always find something to say in kind, a nice and light hearted jab in response. Sin was different, his jokes were never simple or... shallow? Was that the word? It sounded right.

His jokes and teasing was always smarter than she was used to, and she wouldn't figure it out until she'd already fallen for it or until it was too late to give a good comeback. Like what just happened, she figured out it was meant to just get under her skin, and she fell for it hook, line and sinker by acting petulant...

Though, it was also that kind of treatment that she liked about him. He didn't treat her with foal shoes, he didn't treat her like she was a delicate flower easily broken, something most every stallion who'd ever tried to court her did constantly.

"You know, you do try to baby me alot." Scootaloo said, finally getting enough of the salty water out of her eyes to squint into the morning light.

Krystal turned her attention down to Scootaloo and tried to stutter out a response. "Well that's because... I mean no offense, but... oh darn it, he's right, isn't he?"

Scootaloo shrugged. "He usually is. I don't think he said it to be mean, though."

Sighing, Krystal frowned sadly. "I'm sorry, I know you're big enough to take care of your self, but I... I just can't help it, you're just so cute and... ummm..."

Restraining the eye roll, Scootaloo smiled awkwardly. "Uhh, thanks, I guess."

Watching the filly walk away, Krystal lifted a hoof in hoping she'd stop so the elder mare could explain, but Scootaloo just continued walking on. The pegasus sighed in slight despair.

She had more to say...

Krystal hated that about herself, that she couldn't articulate the things she wanted to say in a way that others would fully listen. Instead of giving her time to get her thoughts in order, they just took her initial attempt at an opening explanation, along with the awkwardly honesty she carried about it, and went with that as all her words were worth.

She may not have been with the others long, but with everything that they had all been through, Krystal had come to see her companions as close friends. She was grateful to both of them for accepting her as part of their group, though it was clear that there really wasn't much of a "group" mindset to them.

Sin may have acted protectively over Scootaloo, but only when she was in danger or doing something wrong. Aside from that, the stallion didn't pay the filly much mind at all. He'd speak to her if she had questions, but reluctantly so, as if her words of inquiry were not but irritating nuisances that needed to be put up with and answered.

It was obvious that the filly was trying to find some kind of bond with him, but Sin just wouldn't allow it. Hiding behind sarcasm and half truths that he could easily wiggle his way out of when he needed to.

As Krystal trotted ahead to get caught up, she couldn't help but be reminded of Mama Sandy, and how the earth mare's past had played a part in the interactions with both herself and Mama Gem, leading Krystal to conclude that Sin had some kind of similar experiences...

Krystal's eyes glazed over as her legs went on auto pilot.

She wondered how her parents and brothers were doing, she missed them terribly. Not enough to go back home just yet, but enough to know that the farm was still home to her. She missed the Ol' Pony Prospector, and Mr. Keep, and the folks from the trading post. Every day was surrounded by the smiling faces and warm conversations, where everypony was open and kind... not at all like it was with traveling...

This was how it was most days. Wake up, eat, walk, do flying lessons, talk a little, and more walking in silence, leaving everypony to their own thoughts and observations. Scootaloo would speak with her well enough, but the lack of mutual interests kept anything from coming of it, along with the filly's aversion to speaking about her family. From what Krystal gathered, she was more interested in finding her Cutie Mark and running away. A trait, it would seem, that Islander had as well. He tried to hide the fact, and the off white mare never asked about it out of politeness, but she'd seen his lack of a mark more than once.

Krystal looked behind her and then looked forward again.

She'd noticed he'd looked around alot, getting especially jittery around forest areas and demanding they walk in clearings whenever possible. When questioned about it, Krystal never got a satisfying answer.

Best she could figure was that they were being followed by somepony. Somepony who was very patient and very good at sneaking. At night, she'd sometimes hear rustling or odd noises from a good distance, but they were far and few between to the point she'd just come to accept them as general noises that happened at night.

But what if that was the reason Sin wanted a night watch? If that was so, who was chasing them and why? Well, that was kinda a stupid question, wasn't it? Scootaloo was a run away and Islander's quest obviously made him less than reputable with the law, as well as the Trotski.

"Perhaps you should reconsider traveling with them?" A voice in her head told her. "Maybe that dream you had about Luna was right, where she told you that he was dangerous and that you should stay away from him?"

Krystal frowned and answered that, it was because he was dangerous that she needed to go with him. To protect others from Islander's obvious lack of restraint and regard for life. That, and Scootaloo needed somepony to look after her. Krystal didn't care what the filly said, traveling with somepony who offered no emotional attachment or support at such a young age was just not healthy.

"At risk of your own person?" The voice countered. "You've seen how he is, manipulative, emotionally distant, on a mission to end lives... what do you think you may do to stop him if he decides he doesn't care about your opinion?"

Krystal didn't have an answer, well, not a logical one anyways. The voice wouldn't dissuade her from following, it was clear the two ahead of her needed her and she was going to be there for them.

"Why?" It replied. "You've been treated less than well by both of them. The foal pushes away your attempts at affection and the stallion is a dangerous murderer. What possible reason would you have to 'be there' for them?"

Because she cared about them, and it was the right thing to do, of course.

The cold voice went quiet for a moment, leaving Krystal to feel a slight sense of triumph. She was slowly beginning to wonder about why there was an icy cool speaker in her mind, but the next question derailed the thought where it was.

"And if he turns his wrath upon you to get to his aim?"

Krystal dismissed the idea outright, laughing at it at first, but then she began thinking about Appleloosa. About the murderous look in Islander's eye as he barked at the old pony and the hooded unicorn. That same look he had when he'd seen the train pass by before running to find where it was going... the same look he had when he'd pushed Scootaloo into the ground without the slightest bit of concern for her safety...

Her canter slowed to a soft walking, and from a soft walking to a full stop.

"What if you get in his way to stop him from killing and he chooses to kill you?"

Krystal swallowed nervously.

In her books back home, the ones about adventure, about a group of companions getting together and setting out on an adventure, the troop would have slight problems. Some ponies who didn't get along, or a leader who'd get a little too full of him or herself, sometimes even betrayal. Though, there was always some kind of reconciliation, a point where everypony would come together and get along... an event that would show that unity and togetherness was the best way to handle whatever challenges life had to throw at them...

Even for the anti-hero types... the ones who'd always been cold and brooding, would always realize that it was better to be part of the group than on their own.

It was a hope Krystal had, a deep and secret one that she dared not speak of, that she'd be part of such a group. Where everypony would accept her into the fold and through a sense of community, would have adventures and travel about, an almost familial sense of care holding the group together.

However, a scene of Islander looking upon her with hard eyes, standing between he and the pony from before, her begging him not to shoot, and him loosing the bolt into her neck... that tested her hope for a literature inspired adventure.

He... he wouldn't do that! Sin- Sin said he'd protect her! He gave her father his word that he would!

"Yes, because he's been honest so far, hasn't he?" The voice pointed out smoothly.

It reminded Krystal of all the immoral instances the pony had committed during their travels: Constant lies about his name, breaking and entering back in Appleloosa to steal a scale and some weights, cold and calculating manipulations, an attempt to abandon Scootaloo with Krystal should he die...

"And let's not forget the fact that he doesn't act in any sort of moral good." The voice reminded. "He only does the right thing when somepony else pressures him into it. Or have you forgotten that it was only through Scootaloo that he helped you with your wagon?"

Trembling to find her thoughts, Krystal's eyes drooped from terrified stupor to thoughtful concern as she tried to push passed the images that plagued her mind's eye.

W- would he kill her to get to the Trotski? He said they had hurt someone close to him, badly. Badly enough that he was willing to travel hundreds of miles in order to get revenge. What if... what if he would do it? What if Islander would kill both her and Scootaloo if and when they tried to stop him like they said they would? Sin had said so himself that they wouldn't stop him... How far was he willing to go to prove that statement?

"Krystal?" Scootaloo called. "Earth to Krystal, hellooo~!"

The amber eyed mare broke from her thoughts with a start, just now taking notice that both Sin and Scootaloo were standing infront of her.

"Are you okay?" Scootaloo asked. "You've been standing there for a few minutes with that weird look on your face."

Krystal flushed, her dark thoughts dropping to a dark corner of her mind and she chuckled awkwardly in embarrassment. "Oh, sorry, I was just thinking."

Her awkward smile faltered a little as her gaze shifted from the filly to the Sin, the questions becoming more pronounced as he looked at her. They flared from terrified curiosity and concern to a burning warning and demand to know.

"Are you alright?" Scootaloo asked. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

Krystal shook her head, giving a half truth that she was just thinking about home and how she'd missed her family.

"Oh..." Scootaloo said sympathetically, her eyes going sad for a moment.

Seeing the filly looking glum broke Krystal from her sad mood and she nuzzled younger pegasus encouragingly.

It was clear the rockfarmer's family wasn't the only one she was concerned with, still, it was nice to hear the filly express concern for her.

With that, all three continued onwards. The warmth Scootaloo's action brought dissipating after only a few yards of travel before the disturbing ideas from before resurfaced to plague the mare's mind once more.

Though, she realized one thing that helped put her mind at ease: She wasn't as powerless as she felt. She'd bested Islander before, and she would do it again if she had to.


Walking along besides Islander, Scootaloo's mind ran over the feelings and instincts that were required in flight. The preassure on her wings, the feelings of feathers tickled by wind, the subtle shifts for banking and gliding. She'd learned in school that most of flying was instinctual to the avian part of the pegasus brain, and it shined through alot more when she was being carried through the air.

Ground bound, she just didn't have the motivation to continue trying, but the prospect of crashing and falling was a one hay of a way to get the instincts going. Not to mention, much more fun.

She was getting the hang of it, despite her multiple crashes in the water. Krystal was seeing it too, and giving little tips and pointers that made more sense when in the air.

Though, knowing the mechanics and feelings of aerial flight wouldn't do much for her if she couldn't build up the wing muscles to take off. Maybe it would serve her to start doing those wing exercises Islander had showed her earlier? The constant burning and pain she felt was one of the reasons she'd get discouraged and give up, sooo...

"Getting the hang of it?" Islander asked besides her.

Scootaloo nodded and smiled. "Yea, I think I am. Krystal wasn't needing to hold me a whole lot when I tried gliding, but my wings are pretty sore. I'm thinking about those wing exercises you taught me."

Sin gave a light hearted smirk. "Good for you, I think those will help you out a bit getting off the ground."

Scootaloo gave an enthusiastic nod but her mind began to slowly pull her thoughts in another direction. She had spoken to him about it before, and it didn't sound like a topic worth breaching, but maybe a lack of interest on his part wasn't the full story. Things were still a little tense between them after what had happened at the rock farm and she decided to use the opportunity to push passed it.

"You know, if you asked her nicely, I think Krystal would be willing to teach you to fly too."

The stallion's smirk dropped and, with his face still forward, he cast an accusatory eye at her, warning her to drop the subject where it stood.

Scootaloo sighed and looked forward again. "Still not talking about that, huh?"

"No." Islander answer, keeping his tone neutral and flat.

He never did. Her decent mood and hope deflating, Scootaloo was beginning to wonder what the point of asking him anything was. Most any time they'd talk, she'd always end up feeling either ignored or ignorant.

Ignored in the fact he'd never talk to her unless there was a reason to do so, a reason that revolved around her being wrong, of course, or if she forced him into it. Where in he'd give short and precise answers in a voice that dripped with irritation, making her feel like a nuisance to him.

She was sorry for what she'd said about Macintosh, honest she was, but it appeared he had yet to forgive her for it.

"He is quite irritable, isn't he?"

Scootaloo nodded. Yea, it's getting kinda annoying.

"And yet you choose to stay with him."

The filly had already had this conversation before, and as concerning as it was to hear the voice once again, she wasn't in the mood to debate the points.

"All that was implied is that your suffering is self brought."

This she knew, of course, but what choice did she have? Between the contrast of Krystal's over affection and Islander's standoffishness and going back to Ponyville, staying where she was was the only way to go. As bad as they were, at least they didn't beat her or let her starve.

"How much farther to Baltimare?" Scootaloo asked.

"'Bout a day or so." Islander answered. "No idea what it's going to be like, but it's best to assume the same of them as we did in Trottingham."

Scootaloo shuddered, remembering being put in that wooden cell by that jerk pony before.

The filly made a few more attempts at casual conversation, but as usual, they all landed flat on their face with Islander giving short and pragmatic answers that didn't invite farther elaboration.

Soon enough, she decided to give up conversation and walk in silence.

Walking and quiet thinking... it never changes.

PreviousChapters Next