• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 1,280 Comments

Earning Freedom - Daxisle



Big Macintosh was a simple apple farmer pony, but once he's imprisoned under false charges for sexual favors, he receives a package in his cell containing means for his escape, and a letter that would change the way he saw the world forever.

  • ...
37
 1,280
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
PTC

PTC

Macintosh walked with Annabelle into Ponyville with Scootaloo between them. The filly looked more than a little nervous, mainly because she was now grounded until her grades got back up.

It was a pointless grounding, but one that both Granny and Applejack thought needed to be implemented. Whenever Applebloom's schooling fell behind, she was condemned to punishment, and it was only fair that the pegasus filly suffered likewise. It didn't matter though, Scootaloo had already been devoting most of her free time to studying and homework anyways, the official punishment was nothing but a formality. Still though, Scootaloo, like most foals, didn't like being in trouble.

Mac looked at the clock tower to see themselves arriving on scheduled and felt a little irritated. Today was a Saturday, it was horse apples the school felt the need to intrude on the sacred time of the week where children didn't need to subject themselves to this place.

It took seeing the building and knowing he was going inside for Macintosh to recall his memories, but the stallion hated school. It was boring, it was monotonous, and he could have gotten along well enough without it. Alas, it was the law, and probably for the best he went. Still didn't help the small bit of irritation already eating away at the back of his mind.

"Don't worry Scootaloo." Annabelle said, hoping to boost the filly's feelings a little. "You're already grounded, it's not like it can get any worse."

Scootaloo slumped a little. "Thanks Annabelle, I feel so much better now."

Anna, just realizing her mistake, frowned dejectedly and slumped. "Oh, right. I'm sorry."

Seeing the mare sad, Scootaloo immediately perked up a little and gently bumped into her leg a as they walked, intentionally trying to annoy her. Annabelle tried to keep a straight face as she engaged the filly in the bumping match, but her pressed lips failed in their battle with the smile that pushed its way to claim her muzzle.

The trio found themselves outside of the schoolhouse and stopped, taking in the small building.

"Do Ah have to go in?" Macintosh complained. "Ah'm already feelin' a little under the weather."

Annabelle gave him a playful shove. "Scootaloo's the foal here, not you."

The filly was in full agreement, but she was giggling, making Mac feel well rewarded risking the half joke.

The trio walked up to the building just as a light tanned earth mare stormed furiously out of the school house, a dark brown earth pony colt with an odd hat with a spinner on top following after her, looking completely defeated. All three of the ponies were quick to get out of the irate mare's way as she chastised her colt, furious about his appalling grades and listing off privileges he'd no longer be allowed to indulge. It was only when video games were mentioned did the young pony showed he wasn't a forlorn zombie.

"But moooom-"

"But nothing, Button! You're grounded for a month! Wait until you're father gets..."

The words trailed off as Mac made way into the school house, happy his own mother wasn't like that.

"Big Macintosh?" Cheerilee asked, looking up at the stallion. "It's good to see you, but Applebloom isn't scheduled for a conference."

Mac stood aside and watched allowed Scootaloo to step forward. The plumb mare frowned and looked between the three, her eyes finally settling on Annabelle. "Are you Scootaloo's mother?"

Annabelle shook her head and introduced herself as Mac's fiancee. "It's nice to meet you."

"You as well, miss Annabelle, but I'm a little confused as to why you two are here. Scootaloo's parents should be the one's I speak with today."

Nopony spoke, despite the fact they'd all prepared for this enevitablility, both Anna and Macintosh were prepared to allow Scootaloo to give the explination.

A short while later, Cheerilee stood awestruck with a few tears flowing from her eyes.

"I've been living with Macintosh and the Apples ever since. They're really good to me, and I'm happy there. Happier than I was back home when my parents were... well, yea."

Cheerilee didn't speak, she was too busy peicing together everything she'd heard. "Scootaloo, I... I'm so sorry, I had... no idea." She turned to look at the Macintosh and thanked him for looking after one of her students in such a way. "I assume this has been reported to the police, right?"

Mac went quiet, he had gotten around to reluctantly reporting the incident with Scootaloo protesting the entire way. Both were terrified that the government would take her from the Apple farm's care. A fear that had almost come to pass, stopped only when Macintosh had a quiet word with one of the higher ups, telling him that Scootaloo was a flight risk if stressed too much. The pegasus filly was capable of survival outside of civilization and Mac had no doubt that she could easily skip town as she'd threatened to do.

Her skills on acquiring food outside of civilization, however, he couldn't speak of; though it was a bad bet to think that would deter her from running away. The pony he spoke to about it told Mac that he'd write up some paperwork to give them temporary custody, despite the fact it would be deemed unethical and borderline illegal. Happily, though, the stallion he's spoken to, a detective Inquiry, could understand Mac's concerns and found them valid.

"Did you bring her temporary guardianship form? Sorry, but if you two are going to be acting as Scootaloo's temporary guardians, I'll need to see the form for legal reasons."

Mac produced the form and allowed Cheerilee to give it a once over before she handed it back to them, smiling wide. "You guys are doing a great thing." She turned and looked at Scootaloo. "I wish you would have told me about this, Scootaloo."

The filly slumped but didn't reply.

Cheerilee read the rights of everything wrong with the filly's grades. While her grades had improved in the past two weeks, they'd been absolutly deplorable over the past month and a half. She was struggling with Math and writing, and all but failed in Equestrian history and social studies. Scootaloo burst out that she was trying to get her school work back on track, and Cheerilee was going to let her, considering the circumstances.

"I don't usually do this, but I'll let you retake a few tests and redo some assignments. Not all at once, but enough to let you pass this year without being overwhelmed." She paused, looking down at the hopeful foal. "You're going to be okay, everything's going to be fine. I promise."

Scootaloo sniffled and offered a sad smile before the teacher asked her to wait outside while the adults spoke in private.

The plum pony took a few moments to calm herself. "I want to thank you both for what you're doing for her. Macintosh, I know you can relate to her in a way not many of us can. I plan to put in a good word for you with my superiors, it always helps when teachers have good things to say about adoptive parents."

That's when realization hit Macintosh like a brick wall. Parents, he... a father, now.

Yes, Anna was pregnant, but he still had a good eleven months to prepare for the foal. Scootaloo needed somepony now, right now, even if Rainbow Dash was her choice, which looked less and less likely by the day, the pegasus filly needed guidance and somepony to look after her. Her life couldn't be put on hold so that it could be sorted out.

Annabelle was quick to point out the small discrepancy, and Macintosh was too late to stop her.

"Rainbow Dash?" Cheerilee tilted her head. "Umm, I don't know if you two know this, but Rainbow can't adopt Scootaloo. It's Equestrian law that only couples may adopt foals."

The buttermilk earth pony frowned thoughtfully. "Oh."

'Well, guess that ends that little bit of uncertainty. Looks like you're going to be Scootaloo's adoptive father after all.'

On the outside, Mac remained stoic but inside, his mind was reeling from the absolution of the situation. There was no more denying it, there was no more small chance she'd end up with Rainbow Dash.

Question now was if he was ready or not.

Granted, the last two weeks had been well enough. Scootaloo, while proud, was independent for the most part. Granny and Applejack had made the same observation, giving a lot of praise and a small amount of concern over it. While independence was good, it was clear Scoots had more than a small problem with emotionally opening up. Her time living in Whitetale Wood had made her emotionally reclusive and hard, yet also a little skittish. Not so hard to send up too many red flags, but she was reluctant to ask for help for anything, even if it meant involving herself in dangerous situations.

The stallion shuttered as he recalled a memory of her jumping up into the farm loft on a less than stable barrel ladder she'd made.

It made a lot of sense why her ideas for the Cutie Mark Crusaders were the most dangerous, considering that she'd done alone what most foals would wet themselves in terror doing in groups. The pegasus was resourceful and intelligent, with an iron will and a sense of pride to match.

A sense of pride and will that Mac and Anna would need to bend in order to give her the emotional support she needed.

Mac had no idea how to give that kind of support, or bend her will, all he knew was that he saw too much of a similarity between her and his deceased friend to allow things to continue as they were. The Apple pony had so many regrets when it came to Sin, he wished he'd have done more to try and help him. He saw the anti-social and self destructive behavior, but the Federalist's philosophical knowledge and ability to argue was beyond Macintosh's own mental facilities.

It was a small conflict Mac had no ability to win peacefully, but if he'd known things would turn out the way they had, if he could go back in time and change it all, he'd gladly have used force to help his friend. Force him to accept the help he needed instead of trying to handle everything on his own. The Non-Aggression Principal be damned.

Luckily, Scootaloo didn't have the mental abilities Sin had, but that still didn't answer how he was supposed to help her. Though, he figured a good place to start was to figure out how her parents had died... by telling her about his own.

The meeting finished up with some forms and slight disciplinary action of after school make up time. An hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays as well as a follow up meeting later on to discuss progress.

Cheerilee sent the the ponies off, wishing them luck with their soon to be adoptive daughter.

The two exited the school house and saw the filly swinging on the swingset, looking more than a little nervous. Neither knew what to say, Anna had hinted a little at being alright playing as Scootaloo's surgot mother, but the look on her face told Mac her doubts about the situation were just as conflicting as his own.

"Mac?"

"Eyup?"

She smiled up at him, hope glittering in her eyes. "We're really doing this, right? We're really going to adopt her?"

The stallion looked down to his fiencee and then over to Scootaloo, he turned back with a small confident smile.

"Eyup."


"Hello, mine Mistress." Sombra said marching up to Luna as she paced back and forth in the Lunar Common area.

The Alicorn regarded her former apprentice for a moment then continued her pacing. "Sombra."

Smiling, the black unicorn watched with detached amusement as his mistress continued to pace fretfully, calling her out on her behavior.

"What is it to you, Sombra?" Luna asked, narrowing her eyes.

The stallion shrugged and walked to the window. "Your nervous mannerisms haven't changed in a thousand years. Mine mistress being fretful about anything never has garnered positive consequence."

It was true, Soarin was one of the staffing rooms right now, being briefed by a pair of her most trusted Night guard of his mission. The wonderbolt's departure would raise questions, so she'd declared him to be transferred to another prison to serve his sentence, since the dungeons were becoming crowded with the Trotski and communists. A transfer that would be interrupted in transit, leading to Soarin's escape out into Equestria.

"A little Draconequus told me there is a conspiracy ahoof." Sombra declared, nonchalantly. "I am of the understanding that somepony thought to be dead is out and about."

Luna froze, she was going to make Discord pay dearly for exposing her.

Seeing the look upon her face, Sombra gave her a toothy grin. "He and I have battled many a times, mine Mistress. I had dedicated an entire year's worth of developing the spell used to locating his chaotic magicks to rid the world of his presence once and for all. Did you truly think I'd not find him should he be present where I am permitted to roam?"

"And what makes you believe Discord's words hold merit, my old apprentice?" Luna asked, looking down her nose at the pony.

Sombra smirked and replied that he'd "accidentally" stumbled upon a meeting between a peculiar white pony and two of her guards talking about finding the pegasus in question. "It's funny what one may find when they're consciousness is free to roam through astral projection." He paused, rubbing his chin lightly. "If memory serves, it is customary of the solar court to offer plea deals and compensations to the guilty for redemption, is it not?"

Luna snorted in reply, already seeing where this was going.

"Yes, I believe that was what your sister said when I was placed under limitation of the Castle. And yet, here your servants are, offering such a plea deal with no solar agent present to oversee the proceedings. Curious, is it not?"

"Out with what you want, Sombra!"

The unicorn turned to her, his mischievous grin nearly splitting his face. "I suppose I could be inclined to accept such a change in the law, without confirming it with Celestia, so long as I am not excluded from it."

Luna groaned. Her life had just been a series of conveluted and complicated events lately. A series of events she couldn't even tell Celestia about now if she wanted to for fear of Conno following through with his threat of torture.

What Sombra wanted was simple, he wanted the same deal that Soarin had. He was tired of being limited to the castle with nothing but the occassional game of chess and books to spend his time. The unicorn wanted out to explore the country he'd worked hard to protect and build, he wanted freedom, but he also wanted to help the empire.

"Really? And why would you care about Equestria?"

Sombra's grin dropped to a scowl. "Do not presume to condemn me so quickly, Luna. I have sacrificed much for Equestria those thousand years ago. My corrupted soul cared not for my country, but I stand now untainted by it as the stallion I once was. I admit, I resent you for your condemning me to black magicks, but Equestria herself has done me no harm. My love for her is as strong as it ever was."

He paused, his scowl intensifying into a glare. "And besides, since my corruption was the responsibility of you, I believe it only due course that you be the one to allow me the freedom I rightly deserve, or has your honor and sense of justice evaporated with time?"

Luna's wings ruffled in frustrated irritation as the guilt of her actions washed over her. There was nothing she could say in her own defense. The crushing loneliness and jealousy to her sister was no excuses for the atrocities she'd committed against Sombra, the foul magic she'd convinced him to indulge on her behalf. He deserved better than what he'd gotten from her for all he'd scarified for the empire, she'd take the scolding Celestia would give her for agreeing to his release.

"Very well, you shall be permitted to leave under the condition you travel with Soarin and find the pegasus pony known as Sin."

Sombra smiled and bowed his head, thanking her for her kindness. Luna shook her head and began escorting him to the room where Soarin was being briefed. It actually worked out, in a way. Soarin was a cleaver and strong sort, stronger and faster than most ponies, but Sin was a survivalist who's cleaver mind had thwarted ponies smarter than the white stallion.

Sombra, if time hadn't dulled him, was one of the most brilliant military minds to ever grace the empire. Once he was brought up to speed on all of the modernization of the past millennia, his own mind would prove to be a powerful asset in Sin's capture. The black unicorn was well versed in survival himself, things like heaters and appliances didn't exist those thousand years ago. If nothing else, it was a blessing in disguies that Sombra had come to threaten her with the matter.

Still wouldn't make explaining her decision to Celestia any easier, though.

Author's Note:

And thus, Sombra and Soarin would chase Sin to the ends of the earth to find and collect him for their mistress. Both desiring their own freedom by stealing it from another.

PreviousChapters Next