• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 1,280 Comments

Earning Freedom - Daxisle



Big Macintosh was a simple apple farmer pony, but once he's imprisoned under false charges for sexual favors, he receives a package in his cell containing means for his escape, and a letter that would change the way he saw the world forever.

  • ...
37
 1,280
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
Narcotic Invitations

Narcotic Invitations

Macintosh stopped in his place and turned to look at the farm house far off in the distance. The mid day sun felt nice, nice enough that his granny might have come onto the porch, and with where he was going, if she had sliver of an idea to follow him, he'd be out on his rump with no where to live.

One month had past, and he still couldn't shake the feeling of paranoia that accompanied illicit activity. Typically, Annabelle saw to the cannabis plants early in the morning once during lunchtime and once at dusk. Though, the poor mare had come down with a fever and was stuck in bed. Macintosh would rather have not left her side, but she insisted he go and water the plants.

"Ah wish Ah knew when they were good fer harvistin'." He sighed as he approached the small garden on the outskirts of the property. It was a secret place, surrounded by trees that once served as a hiding ground for his father and mother when they wanted to be alone. At least from what he was told, now it was a rather sizable garden complete with carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, onions and of course, ganja.

'Maybe you should go get Zecora? See what she thinks, she does know more about it than you do.'

That wasn't a bad idea, but he was already away from Anna more than he cared to be. Damned him catching the sickness, he couldn't stand the thought of her suffering alone.

'Mac! Get a grip, she's just under the weather because she pushed herself too hard. Honestly, I know you getting your penis wet was good, but you've become obsessed!'

The already crimson stallion blushed just a little red more at the words. It was true, she'd taken him to bed. Unlike with Luna, it was a mutually enjoyable experience. Not one where he felt helpless and used, but one of mutual admiration, respect and pleasure.

'Yea, yea, yea. You got laid and you liked it. Can we go?'

Mac picked one of the germinated flowers and placed it on his back. The stink of the thing was almost over whelming, and would surely grab attention if he took it through town. So in the interests of discretion, he took the long way around Ponyville to the Everfree.


"Maccy! How ya been?" Shade asked happily. The night stallion smiling from his place on the couch. Mac was hesitant to reply, unsure of his friend's stability, but ultimately answered positively and returned the inquiry. "I'm cool, Stripes here let me give it to her in the plot last night!"

Blindsided by the unnecessary information, Macintosh coughed on his own breath.

Though, it did explain Zecora's strange limp when she answered the door. The zebra, for her part, treated the off color comment as if it hadn't bothered her in the slightest, laughing even.

'Different cultures, dude.'

"Macintosh, of you it is good to see. Tell me please, what has become of my seeds?" Mac retrieved the foul smelling plant from his bag and handed it to his host. "Ahh, she is ripe for the smoke, given proper care, she will make Shade toke."

'Toke?'

I don't even wanna know.

"SWEET! You brought my medicine!" Shade beamed happily before snatching it away and giving Mac the stink eye. "You'd better not be holdin' out on me, Macintosh. I know where you sleep."

'Well, it is nice to see him back to his old self, at least.'

Zecora gently plucked the green and pink flower from Shades grasp, causing the poor pegasus to pout. "Worry not, my beast in bed. For soon you shall take the weed to your head." It was always a little weird how cheerful and casually the zebra spoke about narcotics, it was like she didn't even care about the gravity of their power over the minds of those who consumed them.

His work here done, Mac stood to excuse himself from the hut, but staying his place when an idea hit him. Zecora was a witch doctor who had once helped Applebloom with her Cutie Pox problem, maybe she'd be able to come up with something for Annabelle. The ol' Apple family recipes hadn't worked out as they usually did.

The zebra asked for a list of symptoms which Mac happily gave. He wasn't hoping for a cure, just for something to ease her bed sickness. The Zebra placed a hoof to her chin and began rummaging through her stocks, Shade slipping in and stealing the grounded up flower pedals she had in the mortar.

Finally, the stripped mare pulled out a pot of some kind, filed with liquid he couldn't identify. Carefully, she took a small spoon, retrieved a bit of amber liquid from within the pot, placed it into a small glass tube and handed it to the stallion, giving clear instruction to provide only one drop in any beverage given. One in the morning and one at night.

Grateful for the help, Mac thanked the zebra for her help before departing back home. Applebucking season would be upon the small farm soon, and they'd need all the help they could get.


"No." Sin deadpanned.

"Awwww, c'mon! Cadance said Twilight asked for me personally! I can't show up without a date!" Uppity argued, trying to coax her... stallionfriend? quasi-romantic Associate? Parole bound cuddle buddy? The terms of their relationship were never really defined.

"Not happening." The Federalist responded, taking a sip of his coffee. The cafe they visited in when the DA came down all but empty, a perfect place for just this kind of conversation. He hated Shining Armor, he hated weddings and he hated the government which is why said wedding was such a a big deal. Why Uppity was so gung-ho about going at all was beyond him.

Still though, he wasn't as annoyed as he thought he'd be by it.

Matter of fact, he was feeling pretty good about things, he'd never say it out loud but Sin always felt a little, tiny bit happy when Uppity was around. Which had become quite a bit more often since his little encounter with Rainbow Dash over Pinkie a few weeks ago. He apologized to both, doing something he wasn't fond of and blaming his behavior on stress and lack of sleep. Alas, the truth had to be told, it was his fault of course, biting off a little more than he could chew, but a day off from both the mill and the city council had done him good.

Though, he'd been getting severe migraines since that night, probably brought about when he'd slammed his head into the wall, and taken to some less than legal pain killers he'd purchased through Shady when she'd come to visit with him. When he'd asked for another bottle of the things, the dark green mare suggested a hospital visit as the drugs weren't supposed to be used for extended periods of time, but with the pain becoming so sever, Sin insisted on continuing his regiment and said he'd get to going to the doctor at some point.

Suffice it to say, the doctor hadn't seen head or hoof of him yet. They weren't so frequent, so long as his head didn't experience any trauma he could keep the migraines away for a few days off of one pill.

Yet still, the speedster had gone and blabbed to the town's librarian about what he'd done who immediately called Uppity down from Canterlot and set up a new arrangement to come down and visit three times a week. Whether that was out of his actual 'crime' or because it was a convenient excuse to spend more time together was up to interpretation.

Uppity gave her signature pout, the kind mares used when they wanted to get something from a stallion. "Please? I know you don't like weddings, or the government, or Shining Armor. But you like me right?" She asked innocently, her eyes misting over as she pulled out the most adorable pleading filly face she could.

Sighing, Sin explained his case. There were things he didn't like and then there were things he really didn't like. Shining, weddings, government, hell even his own father didn't make the latter list. Loud noises and lots of ponies, those were the things he really didn't like and weddings had both. Matter of fact, he often toyed with the notion that when he died and went to Tartarus, a never ending concert would be the hellish nightmare that awaited him.

"That's terrible! Why would you even think about such a thing?" The orange mare chided. "Going to Tartarus, you aren't that bad."

Yea, that's what you think.

Sin had kept his more damning choices in his life to himself, a little surprised Twilight hadn't told her about the pegasus he'd killed when they were on the Gonshinian. He liked Uppity and all, but those kinds of details didn't really have a place in relationships, at least he didn't think so. Besides, what would be the point in telling her?

"What do I have to do to make you go with me?" She asked, adopting her calculated and cool personality that Sin had come to be weary of. He had to watch what he said now, she was just as good at playing on words as he was when she was like this.

"A million bits in small change would be a good start." Sin replied sarcastically. Probably not the best idea though, that was a term of agreement, a term Uppity could easily fulfill.

The mare simply quirked a brow and pointed out that Sin had no need of such money, since he'd been granted so much by Celestial. The Federalist countered, stating that he didn't see a bit of that money, it had all gone through a financial specialist he'd hired to handle the ins and outs of the money side of things. Fancy Pants investment wasn't really "free" but it had a liberal repayment time and not a single bit of interest.

While the lumber mill itself wouldn't take too much longer to build, word about the Ever Wood harvesting had spread quickly around town, and as expected, his co-workers nearly hanged him for treason for daring to create competition. But Sin was no idiot, he proposed that, once the Mill was complete, he offer Jacker a merger of sorts. A proposition the green stallion was very interested to hear.

It was the plan from the start, Sin had more than idea how to run a business, what he lacked was the interest. If he placed Jacker in charge, the pony could easily manage both the Whitetale mill and the Everfree mill and make quite a pretty penny for his trouble.

It was a win all around. Especially for Sin's knee caps, considering the road construction representatives who'd come to visit him a two weeks ago had threatened to rip them off. As planned, they too were interested in the Research Facility project. Sin would just need to maintain partnership in the company in order to get money to keep them working off of his dime rather than the government's. Once construction of the facility was complete than he'd have to figure something else out, though that was projected to be a good two years off at least.

Ahh, the power of charity and business.

"Done." Uppity declared. "One million bits."

"I was kidding! Jeez mare, I know where you'd get that money from." Uppity smirked, knowing Sin's lack of a smart alick response meant he didn't have a narrative to work off of. It was scary how much she'd come to figure him out over the month. "Does this really mean that much to you?" Uppity's smirk faded and she nodded solemnly. "Very well, I'll go but-"

Sin's words were cut off as Uppity lept over the table and pounced the pony in a tackle hug. "Yay! I knew you liked me!"

"Buuut." He repeated. "I want to make it clear here and now. If I wanna leave at any given point in time, you do not stop me. Agreed?"

Uppity nodded enthusiastically, squeezing him just a little bit tighter. He'd gotten better at the whole hugging thing but still, physical affection was an act that made Sin uncomfortable. That and the mare's sudden pounce worsening the start of a migraine.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your head." She asked in concern, pulling Sin upright. She watched him for a moment and noticed he was grabbing the left side of his head right under his goggle strap, the side he'd always nursed whenever he got one of his head aches. "Sin, did you go see the doctor about that yet?"

Pressing his lips, the Federalist didn't reply, Uppity sighed. "That's it, were going right now." The Federalist stood his place, he'd go to the doctor when he was damn good and ready. "Sin, don't make me drag you to the hospital, because you know I will."

"Not with your magic you're not." Sin shot back, smirking for just a second before going back to nursing his head. Uppity fummed, having completely forgotten about his invulnerability. He still hadn't told her how he did that yet.

"Ugh, why are you being so stubborn about that?" She stomped a hoof.

This. This right here is why you never tell a female about injuries or pain, they just didn't understand that stallions were a proud people who had to tough out the pain as long as they could before admitting surrender and then going to the doctor and getting treated.

Could it be a be a tumor? Yea, could it leave permanent damage to Sin's brain? Absolutely, could it even be a symptom of an easily treatable disease that could take the stallion's life tonight? You bet ya. But dammit if he was going to be a little bitch and run crying to the doctor over a minute little head ache. It's like his master always said. "Don't be no bitch, Sin."

"I said I'd go, didn't I?" He did, he didn't say he'd go any time soon, but he did say he'd go. No lie was uttered there.

Rolling her eyes, Uppity countered with the fact he had yet to fulfill his promise. Sin merely shrugged, stating that it wasn't severe enough to warrant a doctor's visit. Might have been bad enough for black market drugs, but nobody had to know about that.

Not wanting things to end on a sour note, sin moved the conversation to another topic. "Uppity, I've already agreed to go with you to the wedding, can you just be happy about that?"

Apparently that was the wrong thing to say, his parole office just glared at him in silence. Mac had often referred to this as him "being in trouble" but Sin wasn't a child with her being his mother. He'd never say it to anyone due to his hatred of gossip, but he found Machintosh's relationship with Annabelle kinda pathetic with how submissive he was to her. Not that he could blame him too much, since that seemed to be the norm for Equstria.

"If you promise me that you'll see the doctor by Wednesday, I'll let it go." Sin immediately nodded, already having the loop hole set up in his mind. "And I mean THIS Wednesday, as in two days from today." That... was a ball buster. Reluctant though he was, Sin agreed to the demand. Probably for the best anyways, if the doctors noticed any physical trauma to his head, he'd just say he slipped at work. Yea, that was a good plan.

Satisfied, Uppity's cold demeanor quickly changed over to her usual happy self. "Good, I've gotta get back to Canterlot now." She turned to leave but stopped before walking back to him. "Oh, and Sin?"

Body tensing from the proximity, the stallion's mind went blank. She knew her snoot being an inch or so away from him always caused him distress, but he suspected she relished in the fact. She was so close, he could smell the minty freshness of tooth paste on her breath. "The wedding is in three days. So make sure you let Twilight and your boss know." She cooed before planting a quick kiss on his lips.

Too stunned to speak, Sin merely watched as Uppity blushed, pulled away and went running out of the store, long bits of hair flowing after her that had come loose from her braid. Sin hadn't noticed it before, but she had a very nice cutie mark on her flanks. A pair of scales, signifying balance and justice.

PreviousChapters Next