• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 1,280 Comments

Earning Freedom - Daxisle



Big Macintosh was a simple apple farmer pony, but once he's imprisoned under false charges for sexual favors, he receives a package in his cell containing means for his escape, and a letter that would change the way he saw the world forever.

  • ...
37
 1,280
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
Home Again

Home Again

"Well I must say, that sounds positively barbaric." Rarity scoffed before taking a sip of her tea. After Fluttershy was retrieved from her cottage, giving Mac and Spike a warm welcome home, they all ventured into the library for a casual welcome home party. The formal one would be held tomorrow by Pinkie Pie. "A world with out government? The idea is simply absurd."

Twilight nodded her head in agreement. "Princess Celestia has been a kind and excellent ruler of Equestria for the last thousand years. Had it not been for her guidance, who knows what kind of condition the country could be in."

Mac couldn't help but agree a bit, for all he was taught under Sin, he couldn't really imagine a world with out the good matriarch. For all the evils that he was told of and experienced, he couldn't see her really wanting any of it. But then again, would any recognized and truly benevolent ruler? Spike, for his part, had fully puzzled all present. Instead of acting as his curious and sarcastic self, he was more cold and snarky. The sarcasm was still there and all, but it was more malevolent and off putting.

Still, it was good to be around friends and a safe, familiar environment again. Relaxing actually, it made the whole experience of catching up and swapping stories a bit more enjoyable and intimate than back at the palace.

"Yea, and if it weren't for Cadence and Shining Armor, those nasty Changelings would have taken over Canterlot." Pinkie chipped. "Shining Armor counts here, right?" After affirming her, Applejack mentioned the time where Celestia had quelled Twilight's "Want it need it" spell fiasco, much to the embarrassment of the unicorn mentioned. And Rainbow Dash noted how it was the Royal guard who kept peace through out the land, if they didn't exist, there would be chaos and nopony to challenge those who would commit crimes against another.

The lone stallion of the group didn't speak out against it. What they said did make sense to a degree, but he was subject to the abuse of the very entity that Rainbow was glorifying. And though it did sting him the wrong way, considering how previous altercations progressed, he decided that this was a battle not worth fighting. So, he and Spike sat quietly while the girls talked, only answering questions when asked. Most being either vague enough to give a similarly open ended answer to, or just one the two could nod to.

Still, as angry as the red pony was, he was rather interested in talking about how conflict resolution would be done in a government-less society. That would have to be brought up the next time he saw Sin.

"But enough about that brute, so tell us-" Rarity beamed, "What was it like wondering around Equestria? Did you go to Los Pegasus or Manehatten?"

"No." Spike shrugged lazily. "We went up North, staying mainly to the smaller towns. Hooftrot, Wingdale, Crescent Moon, places like that."

"Oh really?" Fluttershy's voice answered, Mac had almost forgotten the timid pony was in attendance, she really should work on that. "Did you see any new critters?"

The drake pressed his lips together while Mac stiffed a laugh. During their travels, one of the two had thought it a good idea to explore a canyon at end of autumn. Little did he know about a small band of bone-horned goats living within it, or their aggressive behavior. In short, had it not been for the second's interference, a certain dragon would be a pancake at the bottom of the gorge.

"Uh, a few. Nothing worth mention though." He stuffed a ruby into his mouth that Rarity provided and shrugged again. Mac had to give him credit, that was pulled off rather smoothly.

"Wha' about you, big brotha?" Applejack smiled. "See anythin' interestin' ya care to share?"

For some reason, Mac's thoughts went immediately to Annebell. But the insufferable teasing that was sure to come from his sister procured him to spend an hour talking about living off of the land, learning about the different kind of edible and poisonous plants, how easy he really had it on the farm and the trip to the Minotaur Ratsnest where they'd gotten Spike's crossbow.

While the aforementioned was only to happy to brag about his own observations on all accounts, his face turned from one of joy to one of horror when Mac mentioned the fight he'd gotten into with a similarly aged youngling... and the non-contestable victory that he claimed.

"Spike you didn't!" Rarity's eyes widened.

"Thanks Mac." He scoffed. "Yea, I did. So?"

Twilight scoffed, "Spike, I cannot believe you did that. Haven't I always told you that violence isn't the answer?"

Spike rose a lazy claw. "Hey, if you were pushed down and hit repeatedly, I'd be disappointed if you didn't do the same, Twi."

The lavender mare gave an offended look, but her rebuttal was cut off. "Aww yea, that's my dragon." Rainbow laughed "If somepony pushes ya around, you show that pony who's boss."

"Rainbow Dash! I believe it would be appreciated if you were to not encourage violence." The alabaster unicorn chided motioning to Twilight."

"Oh come on Rars, let's be realistic here. If there's some jerk trying to hurt somepony, someone's gotta knock 'em down a peg or two."

"Ah agree with Rainbow." Said AJ. "Don' get me wrong, Ah'm not sayin' he should go lookin' fer trouble, but a dragon's gotta defend himself."

"By beating another child senseless!?"

"He didn' really beat 'em sensless." Mac intervened feeling slightly guilty. "He jus' gave 'em a few good knocks on the head. Fer the way the kid was actin', served him righ'."

"Speaking of deserving things." Spike slyly smirked. "What about that filly in Hooftrot? Annibell was it?"

Now it was Mac's turn to wear the mask of disbelief. Did Spike really just do that to him?

"A mare frien'?" Applejack gave a teasing smirk. "So, ya'll were holdin' out on th' good stuff huh?"

Mac pressed his lips and scowled, "sleep well dead drake." Spike just laughed the threat off and the apple pony reluctantly admitted to his brief friendship with the mare. The girls looked on with interest, Twilight and Rarity more so than the rest. He skimmed over their initial encounter in the tent city and the party, putting more emphasis on the song she preformed in her circus act with a large dragon.

Out of all of them, Fluttershy seemed most perturbed by the subject matter of the circus mare's lyrics.

"Oh no," Spike interjected smugly. "You can't play her off like that."

"We were jus' friends."

"Friends don't stay out after midnight and then nuzzle against each other in haunted houses."

Mac's eyes constricted, he saw that?

"Oh really?" Rarity smiled devilishly. "Well go on Mac, give us details."

The interest looks he was getting endued a rather awkward feeling. He didn't like being pressured, but, by the same token, it wasn't really anything important either. They'd gone through a haunted house and he'd seen Annebell back to her tent, not really a big deal. All in all, he decided to only tell the group enough to correct Spike's story, much to the dragons amusement.

But Rarity wouldn't have it, she demanded to know how the night between them had ended. Her almost obsessive interest in his love life was questionable and a bit creepy. So he'd been out with a mare, why was she acting like he'd undertaken some kind of quest to rescue a princess from a tower?

Luckily, his sister interjected at his reluctance and eased the unicorn back into place.

He had to admit, he did miss his sisters way of handling things, out of all the ponies he'd ever come across, she was defiantly the most level headed and caring for her friends. And for all that's happened, he still loved her.

As the conversation drew to a close, the girls finally owned up to their lives during Mac's absence. Rainbow was only too proud to credit herself for the work she'd done on the farm with AJ, the aforementioned giving an awkward smile. Twilight, Fluttershy, and Pinkie more or less just dismissed the inquiry by claiming nothing special. And Rarity decided to go on a twenty minute rampage about some delivery for some higher class pony up in Canterlot.

Eventually, the sun began to set and the non family members depart. Each giving a big hug and nuzzle to the guys before they left. Rarity and Fluttershy were the last, and unlike the others, the pink maned pegasus gave a quick kiss on the cheek to both before blushing profusely and zooming out the door. Rarity's affections were played off, as expected though.

"Well, C'mon big brother. I's time to git home."

The stallion smiled warmly again. "Eyup." Home. By Celestia, it sounded even better now... Twilight and Spike escorted the two to the door, the cold of the evening chilling the pony, but not as much as it did his sister.

"We'll be by later tomorrah ta see how ya'll r' settlin in." AJ announced. A grateful word from the unicorn later and the two were off on the all too familiar road to the farm.

In his heart, he was conflicted. He wouldn't show it now, but inside he was worried about how the reunion with Granny Smith and Applebloom would be. To break the silence, he asked how the rest of the Apples were doing. Smirking playfully, his sister told him he'd have time to ask soon enough.

That told him they were at least open to the idea of seeing him again. Bah, what's he worried about? It's family! Family is love, love is forgiveness and acceptance. He known these ponies his whole life, he had nothing to be worried about.

"Hey Mac?"

"Hmmm?"

"That friend of yers, Sin? Ya sure he's gone be alright out here in the cold?"

The stallion smirked, was she really concerned for his well being? "Don'cha worry none, sis. Sin can handle himself better 'n most." He caught the unsure look in her eye and flowed his lips to a warm smile.

"Same ol' Big Macintosh." She smiled and shook her head. "live n' let live." He smirked and chuckled. "But, ya'll have changed more 'n Ah thought."

"Really?"

The look on her face was a hard one to read, a mix between concentration and concern. "Ya used to be tha only pony quieter than Fluttershy, but back there, ya spoke mor 'n one night than Ah ever seen all the years knowin' ya." She looked up at him. "Ah'm not sayin' Ah don' like it, don't get me wrong, but what happened?"

Mac's smirk dropped.

What happened to him? She was really asking that? Surly she knew, she'd patronized and demeaned his opinions ever since their parents... That and the fact she'd pretty much taken on the mother role of the house hold. Granny Smith was a good ol' gal, but she wasn't exactly, how should he put it, responsible? Well, all in all, if she didn't get it, maybe it was better left unsaid. No point in muddying the waters when he'd just returned home.

"How 'bout Ah jus' say that Ah learned a few things." His grin returned, causing the mare to smile weakly. "Now enough 'bout that... Did Applebloom get her cutie mark yet?"

PreviousChapters Next