• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 1,280 Comments

Earning Freedom - Daxisle



Big Macintosh was a simple apple farmer pony, but once he's imprisoned under false charges for sexual favors, he receives a package in his cell containing means for his escape, and a letter that would change the way he saw the world forever.

  • ...
37
 1,280
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
Elderly Words

Elderly Words

Mac awoke far too early.

He glanced at the clock and groaned, rolling over to try to get another hour or two of rest. His eyes slowly fluttered open upon hearing the unmistakable sizzling of sea sausage and eggs.

His favorites, typically made by the mare of his dreams. Annabelle was in bed beside him though, which meant that either Granny or Applejack was cooking. And considering he'd already talked to one...

'Get out of bed, Mac.' His voice of reason said gently. 'Getting Spike and them involved to break the news at dinner was a pretty smart move, but now it's time to face the music, and Granny's giving you a personal invitation.'

Slowly, the stallion arose from bed, careful not to disturb his marefriend. He silently crept out the door and down stairs, taking care not to make a sound until he was sure that only Granny Smith would hear him. It was odd, being nervous and starving at the same time, the alluring aroma of sea sausage was pulling him forward, the feelings of dread and hunger fighting for dominance in his stomach.

He made it down the darkened stair way and found the only light in the house coming from the kitchen. Mac took a breath, stealed his resolve and walked into the kitchen.

Only to find that nopony was in there.

There were two skillets on the stove top, both with the promised food stuffs, cooking as they should have been, but nopony tending them. With apprehension, Mac slowly walked into the kitchen and looked around, but saw no sign of Granny Smith. He turned out the window, thinking maybe she'd stepped out for air for a moment, but he couldn't see anything but the blackness of early morning.

'Dude, what's going on?'

Mac had no clue. This was the strangest thing he'd ever seen, it wasn't like any of his family to leave cooking food unattended for so long.

A creeping sense of wrongness started tingling in his neathers, telling him to get his happy self back up stairs and hide under the covers. He quickly turned around to make way up stairs.

"Hello,"

Mac jumped as a pair of orange eyes appeared right infront of him. Both orbs staring intently into his own.

"G- Granny!" He yelped, calming himself down. She stood glaring in the door way, giving him one of the most terrifying stares he'd ever seen in his life. The marshmellow green mare had given him many looks in his life, but this was different from any other. It wasn't an over played scowl of rage or a simple stern look of reproach.

At first he'd thought she was just a little upset, but the longer he looked at her, the more intense the stare became, peering past his eyes and looking into his very soul. Judging it, blaming it... violating it. Assaulting a spot of vulnerability the pony didn't even know he had...

"So." She stated simply after a full minute of nothing but the ear shattering sizzle of cooking food. "That was a mighty dirty trick y'all pulled yesterday."

Her words were calm, reasonable and very full of something else. Something that had no business being presented as anything but seething rage. She walked past him, her eyes following his until she passed. Macintosh had to fight to keep his bladder from under control. He couldn't explain why, but her eyes... there was something very disturbing about them.

He heard the sizzleing of the eggs and sausage shift as Granny resumed her spot at the stove. Macintosh waited and waited, but she didn't say anything else. The longer the silence lasted, the more he internally screamed at her to finish her lecture and be done with it. A small part of him told the stallion to just go up stairs, but another part, the part that Granny's eyes had violated, told him that walking out of the kitchen would be a very very big mistake.

With a wave of relief, the pony sighed as the skillets were removed from the stove and the harsh hiss slowly died down to a simmer. His reprieve was short lived.

"Ya know Ah was a single momma," Granny stated, her voice conversational yet... not. "Ah liked tah think Ah raised ya better, that ya had 'nuff sense tah not make the mistake ah did n' get a mare with foal 'fore it was proper. Apparently Ah thought wrong."

Mac's's breath caught in his throat. Granny walked past him, casually grabbing two plates from the cupboard. He didn't dare move.

"Ah'll be frank wit'cha, that mare up there is part o' this family noa n' yer lucky Ah like her. Reminds me a lot o' yer ma." She said, continuing on with the lecture, shifting gears between his parents and what it was like for her to raise his pa on her own. He'd already heard a lot of it, the parts about the community looking down on her and treating her like a pitiful and deplorable horse, but it's when she started on about his father that the pony felt his blood truely run cold.

The town called him a bastard, he'd come home some times in tears, crying about being made fun of in school for not having a father. Granny's voice finally betrayed her pain to the situation.

"Those little shits had no ahdea what it was like fer us. Fer him." She spat venomously, placing the sea sausage and eggs onto the plates. "He did more work in a day than any of the other colts his age did in a month. Even when he was a kid, yer papi was a good n' honest sort. Never got inta trouble if he could help it." She sighed, a tired and disappointed sounding breath. "Sometimes Ah wish he'da knocked their heads in fer the things they said. Yer pa didn't deserve none o' that."

Granny walked over and placed the red pony's plate on the counter in front of him. Mac stood awestruck at the presentation of the food and blushed heavily. There was three links of sausage on the front most of the plate and scrambled eggs at the back end, but in the middle, sat a very suggestive and intentional image involving two circular piles of eggs and one slightly longer sausage.

Granny brought her own plate over and stood beside him. "Yer ma was the best thing that ever happen'd tah that boy. She was the sweetest mare ah ever did see, ah tell ya what. She didn't take no lip from nopony, n' she didn't let nopony down talk yer pa neither. Feisty as a rattle snake defendin' its den if ya crossed her." She chuckled sadly, he smile dying ever so slowly. "Gave my son the lovin' he always deserved."

Mac regained some of his senses and looked over at his grandma, his jaw dropping a little as he saw tears forming in her eyes. Part of him wanted to hug her, to tell her that he had no intention on leaving the mother of his child unwed, but again, that small part of his soul advised him to stay his place. She wasn't done yet.

Granny took a breath and regarded Mac calmly, all the threatening hostility in her eyes were gone now, replaced only with absolute intent. "Ah know Ah didn't always treat ya the best, Macintosh. Ah know that Ah was harder on ya than Ah was yer sisters, but Ah also know the power you have that they don'. And it's fer that reason that Ah've can't say I'm full sorreh fer doin' it."

She stepped forward and grabbed a fork and knife from the kitchen drawers and turned her attention to his plate. "Ah've no doubt ya will be marryin' Annabelle 'fore long." She shifted her attention from Macintosh to the plate, piercing the fork into the very top of the... decorative sausage and slowly began sawing off a quarter of the way down. "But ah'd like to make sure that you know what happens if you don't."

Staring with wide eyed horror at the slow, precise movements of the knife, Mac squeezed his hind legs as close together as he possibly could. Every motion of the the cutting tool sending his skin crawling with levels of discomfort so disturbing he had multiple thoughts of running to the bathroom and emptying what little was in his stomach.

She cut the sausage into six slivers, and just when the apple stallion thought she was done, stabbed the fork into one of the piles of eggs, proceeding to twirl the fork there in. The mix between the implied mental image, the mental image itself and the screeching of metal on ceramic caused small gurgles of bile up the stallion's throat.

With the sausage decimated and both piles of eggs throughly destroyed, granny replaced the utensils down on the plate and turned to find her grandson as shaken and terrorized as she intended. "Looks like Ah've made my point." She declared, admiring her handy work.

Macintosh wanted to feel indignant, he wanted to feel angry about being threatened in such a way, but all he could think about was how he was going to marry Annabelle before the month was out and how he wasn't going to let... that happen to any part of his anatomy.

A few seconds later, a clopping of hooves echoed down stairs and a very tired Annabelle entered the kitchen with a yawn. "Morning." She said sleepily.

"Mornin' chil'" Granny replied cheefully, her quazi-sedictive manism melting into the happy old mare she always was. "Made y'all some breakfast, need to keep ya well fed nao with the baby on th' way."

"Thank you, granny." Annabelle replied with a smile. She turned to Macintosh and gave him a peck on the cheek before turning her attention to the plate. "Is this one yours?" She asked, pointing to the one with the pre-sliced sausage.

Granny chuckled bashfully. "That ones fer you, ah was just takin' a little taster there. Hope'n ya don't mind."

The brown maned earth pony shook her head. "Not at all. Thank you for making this for me."

"'Course Anni, yer part o' the family noa." She grinned, giving Anna a sudden hug. "N' don't ya worry none 'bout lettin' ol' Granny Smith know if this lug here gives ya any trouble." She finished with a wink and sauntered out of the kitchen, leaving the young ponies alone.

Anna playfully elbowed Mac in the ribs. "Now you're stuck with me, like it or not." She teased before grabbing the very top slice of the sea sausage and popping it into her mouth, chewing happily and complimenting the elder mare's cooking.

'Dude, that is just wrong...'

Author's Note:

Wrongness and inconsistent personality traits for the sake of comedy, hazzah!

PreviousChapters Next