• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 1,280 Comments

Earning Freedom - Daxisle



Big Macintosh was a simple apple farmer pony, but once he's imprisoned under false charges for sexual favors, he receives a package in his cell containing means for his escape, and a letter that would change the way he saw the world forever.

  • ...
37
 1,280
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
Over Indulgence

Over Indulgence

Mac awoke to the sound of shuffling papers and the bright glow of the sun assaulting his eyelids. He rubbed his eyes and arose from his bed to behold Sin shifting over some papers and sticking them into his saddle bag. The newly awoken pony let out a silent yawn and recalled last nights events. The dance he shared with the mare of his dreams, the apples they bobbed for, the midnight stroll and one of his personal favorites; the haunted house where she was clinging to his arm. The end of the night couldn't have been better for him. he walked her back to her tent in the middle of the white sea, and after their goodnights; she gave him a nuzzle on the cheek and stole a quick kiss on the cheek before her blushing disappearance into the tent. Leaving the stallion in a state of pure bliss for the remainder of the night.

His attention was snapped back to reality when he heard the familiar clicking of buttons on a closed and ready to move sack. He looked back to find the liberty pony had finished packing his bags and had stuck the holster over his back. Sin looked back to find Macintosh watching him. "I'll be leaving in an hour." He growled coldly.

A flash of panic ran through Mac's spine. "But," He began to protest, the thought of leaving with out seeing Annabell again
tearing at his stomach. He couldn't just up and leave with out saying goodbye, hell he didn't want to leave at all.

"But what?" Sin asked cooly yet expectantly.

"Ah," Mac hesitated trying to plan how he could convince the stallion to stay in town a little longer. He searched his mind for any excuse, but before any could form, Sin spoke again.

"If you wish to stay and be with that mare, that is up to you. No one is forcing you to go." Sin turned away from the distraught stallion and made his way to the door. "I'll return before here I leave." He called before he closed the door behind him.

---

Sin strode down the hall way with his mind abuzz with racing thoughts, while he didn't want to admit it; Big Macintosh's decision to accompany him or not was weighing on his mind. He had only been traveling with the stallion and his reptilian associate for the better part of two months, but despite his best efforts to remain cold and detached, he had learned a great deal from the two.

He wondered outside into the streets in time to see that the erected tent down the street was being torn down. A small smile crept on to his face at the knowledge that Mac's interest in staying in town was leaving as well, thus leaving him no reason to stay. At this the dark stallion shook his head rapidly, he didn't want to feel any pain once the stallion left. Sin never liked to admit he had feelings, he suppressed them to refrain from their infringement from his logic. And the loss of another friend, would do nothing to help keep his feelings in check.

Sin continued down the street with a few spare bits he had left over from the Inn fee, as he expected, many places were packed with ponies and minotaur filling their stomachs for the long voyages home. He decided to go to one of the further down the line. As the dark stallion finally got in a short line for a head of lettuce from a local farmer, he heard a sound that struck an all to familiar twinge up his spine. "Oh dear Strong-Arch no."

A sudden slam against his side sent the tensed pony to the ground, an ungodly pressure on his side contracting his ribs onto his lungs as two black forlegs pranced up and down on him in utter delight. "Sin, Sin, Sin how have ya been? Sin, Sin, Sin, How have you been?" An whimsical yet masculine voice sang obnoxiously. Sin grunted before he pushed off the offending pony and looked at him with a tired yet slightly amused expression.

"Star Shade, must you physically assault individuals in form of salutations?"

The black pegasus smiled devilishly, his bat like wings flaring and his cat like eyes narrowing. "You LEFT me in alone in the Everfree FOREST ya jerkass!"

Sin stood and brushed off his cape. "I didn't leave you anywhere."

"Yes you did," Shot the Black pegasus, "You knew I had a phobia of big creatures, yet you went in there anyway." He crossed his forearms in a childish pout.

Sin stuck his hoof over his goggles, "You don't have a phobia of those things. You stopped following me after we wondered into a mantacor den." he grumbled.

"Don't have a phobia of what?" Star Shade perked a curious eyebrow.

Sin shook his head. "Not to mention YOU were the one who suggested that we go into the den because you thought the beasts were, and I quote: 'cuddly, unloved kitties'."

Star hugged his arms around himself and rocked from side to side with a dumb smile on his face. "And they were the most adorable little things," His over-dramatic posture gave way to a more explanatory one. "Well, accept for the whole poison tails trying to stab me and kill me. I mean, that was kind of adorable, but mostly just rude." He shrugged, "besides, you attacked Fluffy and made him run away from me."

Sin deadpanned. "I told you, if that hydra bit me; I wouldn't hesitate to stomp it's heads in."

"And WHO do you think had to tell it's mother the bad news?" Star exclaimed throwing his forelegs in the air, a slight frown on his face. "Let me tell you, a fully grown hydra doesn't take it well when you tell her that one of her babies you stole is now lost."

"How are you not dead yet?"

Star smiled gleefully, his voice taking a melodic tone. "Because I have to see: Sin, Sin, Sin, how have ya been?" He started again, moving his head side to side at the beat of his tedious and repetitive lyrics. After the third stanza, and and an overly dramatic finish, Sin decided it best to leave while he had the chance.

"Well, this has been a," Sin mused over the right words. "nostalgic, encounter. However, I was about to get something to eat." The stallion trotted past the now offended Star Shade, and took his place back at the end of the line. The black stallion glared and marched up to Sin again.

"Do you even know the ramifications?" Star growled.

"Stop using words you don't understand."

"You abandoned me."

Sin moved up in the line. "I didn't abandon you," He looked over to Star, "I said I had somewhere to be, and I went there."

"And you didn't even bring me a golden satchel from where you went." The black stallion pointed an accusing hoof. "You. Make. Me. Sick." He seethed in faux disgust.

Sin was about to retort when he noticed a familiar purple and green youngster traveling his way. "Star look," Sin pointed, "Fluffy came back."

A look of pure joy overcame the pegasus' face as he gasped. "FLUFFY!" He darted the way that his associate had pointed, black wisp flowing behind him.

"Hey Sin!" Spike called running over to the now lonesome stallion. Sin nodded his acknowledgement and moved on to get his meal. After the purchase, he was interrogated about the dark pony he was speaking to.

"An old acquaintance" He growled placing the vegitable into his bag. After a breif protest of trying to dismiss the subject, and having the dragon push the issue further, Sin agreed to tell his stoy; so long as they walked back to the Inn. Spike shrugged his desire to know the reason for their hurry off and the two began their trek.

Sin explained that the ponies name was Star Shade, and that he was once one of Luna's personal body guards after he return from the moon. His parents had him strictly for the purpose of adhering to her whims and once he was deemed too 'unstable' to serve for his duties; he was exiled from the Lunar contingent, and wound up in a prison cell after he had refused to accept medical treatment.

He was the first individual Sin had ever reached with his words of freedom and personal desires. The freedom pony went on about how Star was a more submissive pony with maniacal tendencies. His emotional personality didn't adhere well like most soldiers, thus they involuntarily expressed themselves in fits of: laughter and anger, at least that's what the Star told him in a rare state of calm. Once he began pondering why he was alive, and what he wanted to do, the shackles of both restraint and sanity had shattered and he became a whirlwind of emotion and impulse.

"Where did you find him?" Spike asked enthralled by the story. "And how did you know about him being locked up for that?"

Sin shook his head before the two acknowledged Macintosh standing in front of the deconstruction of the huge white tent. "Tat is a story for another time." He replied making way to talk to the red pony. Once they were right beside him, Mac turned with a disappointed expression.

"Woah, what happened to you?" Spike asked.

"Ah am ready to go." Mac growled his once sad eyes tinging with anger. He walked by Sin, scowling as he made his way back to the inn to pack his things.

"What's his problem?" Spike asked a mix of concern and confusion tinting his voice.

Sin merely shook his head as he followed after. A sudden and loud unintelligible sound made him snap his head back before he was once again tackled to the ground by a dark pair of forelegs.

"You lied about Fluffy."

-------------

Windmane stood in the center of the chamber, a few beads of sweat racing down his neck as he eyed the small, brown donkey before him. He was nervous and ill prepared for the debate to come, but he knew that he would need to convince two of the other four seats of the Donkies in order for a stalemate to be called. And luckily, he knew just the two to appeal to; and how to get them to vote his way.

"The judiciary calls attention to the debate between Senators: Windmane, of the 4th district of New Equine, and Stuborn, of the 2nd district of Orval." Proclaimed Arbiter Spar Hawk. "The debate will be in pertinence to Senate Proclamation 0221 entitled: The Pegasus Environmental Assistance Ordinance where in, a mandatory adherence of no less than twenty New Equine pegasus, shall assist in the ordered weather manipulation at the request of Orval's ruller: Minister Annoyance."

After the proclamation, the Arbiter went into detail about how the bill would be read through before a final vote would be cast. He continued in the tedious and repetitive decree that it would require a majority to strike down the bill to hold in accordance with the Proclamation of Senatorial Power, One of the founding documents that gave power to the Senate to create laws that crossed the borders of the states.

"If I may site: Page two, artificial one, Section two." Called Windman, turning over the three page vanilla document on his dark pedestal. "In this document it clearly states, as Arbiter Spar Hawk said: 'This is a decree for: mandatory adherence of New Equine pegasus to assist, under the penalty of sanctions from the remaining states, the Orvalian Donkeys with sufficient weather manipulation as deemed fit by the minister of the Donkey state, or his constituents that he elects to hold said powers'." He looked up from the paper, his mind racing for the words he had recited over and over.

"The legislation put forth by the Senator from the second district of Orval," The pegasus continued, happy he didn't butcher the text. "directly contradicts the treaty of Orval, in which my state holds in highest regards and respects, the right of the Orvailian succession from New Equine. And there in, shall not enforce, neither state shall enforce any hostile acts against the other. Be it Economic, military, political, or otherwise."

"That is a State Treaty. Mr. Senator." Called his opponent in an annoyed and dismissive tone. "This is the Federal Senate, we-"

"That is of no concern to the populace of New Equine." Interrupted Windmane, venom dripping from his words.

"I care not for the opinion of your constituents." Replied Stuborn, his words just as scathing. "The second district of Orval has become drought ridden, and is in desperate need of precipitation. The continued requests for aid from your weather teams have gone unanswered. And I will not let my people suffer when there is help to be given."

"Taken." Corrected Windmane. "You are threatening economic sanctions upon New Equine should the state refuse to accommodate. And since YOU are the one calling for the sanctions to be made, Mr. Senator." he spat, pointing an angry hoof. "THAT can be interpreted as an act of war!" He gasped as soon as the words left his mouth.

Silence had consumed the chamber, save the ever loud ticking of the huge clock that lay behind the Arbiters. Mouths were agape all around the chamber, and all eyes rest upon the pegasus in the middle. Windmane quickly recovered from his slip and decided that there was no going back on what he said, discovering a nice little silver lining so he looked like the victim. "You wish war upon us?"

"War?" Replied the Donkey, his facial structure still in bewilderment. None have ever called for war between states. Such an act was forbidden among the federation, warned against by the Five who forged the federation after the political class was tried and executed. "How dare you!" Stuborn spat, his shocked expression contorting to one of hate. "You threaten war upon my people?!"

"YOU are the one breaking the treaty our fore fathers had created for your peoples succession." Windmane forced a smirk, he was playing a very dangerous game. He didn't intend to bring out the war card until his last two lines of defense failed. Now he would have to offer them as alternatives just to salvage what he could. He berated the Idea of war, and the notion that it was even a viable option. Instead, offering to discuss the voluntary option once more by personally speaking with the governor of his New Equine.

He also went into the uncomfortable topic of slavery, and how the force of violence would constitute the pegasi's work as comparable to such a despicable and long tabooed idea. Stuborn had rebuked a few points, but was shut down rather quickly with mentions of other treaties and one founding document. That laced with the fear of war; gave Windmane all he needed to control the debate in his favor. After some approving sounds from both the Boltinians, the non partisan Donkeys and even a few Syndicrats, he withdrew from the debate podium. After an hour of almost none stop speaking, even the sweet taste of victory couldn't energize him enough to go overkill.

"Thank you for that," Arbiter Spar Hawk began. "Rather unorthodox debate Senator Windmane, I here by adjourn this congregation until tomorrow; where the final vote for this bill shall take place." The Centaur slammed the gavel and stood from where he lay, all of the Senate followed suit and the camber began to empty until all but one pony remained.

Windmane looked upon the pedestal from where he spoke, shivers running up his spine over the mistake he made. He internally slapped himself for it before, but now it was time to unload the real self beat down. He couldn't believe what he had done. How could he have been so stupid as to let those words slip out of his mouth?

"That was quite a stunt you pulled." A familiar voice barked. Windmane's heart skipped a beat as he looked over to see Thornberry leaning against one of the walls under the minotaur seats, an expectant look on her features. The pegasus bit his lip trying to find the right words to say, but through the haze of his exhaustion and the guilt that he was already feeling, nothing seemed to satisfy his need for the perfect rebuttal; rendering him silent.

"What? Nothing to say?"

Wind turned his head away from the angry mare, his mind abuzz with self punishment. "I messed up."

"You messed up?" Thorn repeated sarcastically, mocking the simplicity of his words.

"Yes, I messed up." Came a forceful reply.

He heard Thorn scoff cynically, and expected a full on verbal assault at his stupidity and impulsiveness. To the pegasus' astonishment, he found the mare's arms wrapped around his neck, as she laid her body upon his from the side. He looked back with a confused expression, to find her smiling gently. "But you fixed your mess." She reassured.

Windmane pushed back his ears, he was confused as to what she was doing; but her smile spoke wonders of her genuineness. "I'm sorry." he called after a time, lowering his head in shame.

Thorn gently nuzzled his neck to comfort the stallion. The two stood in the middle of the chamber; embraced in a mix of guilt, shame, and contentment.




Yea, ending it there. Why? Because bite me, that's why. (and I might need to start a new chapter to get things going again)

PreviousChapters Next