• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 1,280 Comments

Earning Freedom - Daxisle



Big Macintosh was a simple apple farmer pony, but once he's imprisoned under false charges for sexual favors, he receives a package in his cell containing means for his escape, and a letter that would change the way he saw the world forever.

  • ...
37
 1,280
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
New Destination

New Destination

"Hope you fine folk got some good sleep." Said the inn keeper as he observed Sin and Scootaloo strolling past in the mid morning. It was a fair bit later than the survivalist was used to waking up, but considering what happened last night, the crack of dawn just didn't seem to call to his sense of urgency like it usually did.

His cloak, which he'd repaired easily enough last night, hid his injuries well enough. Despite being hit with a magically propelled rock, nothing in his shoulder was broken. The muscle was pulled and bruised, but a few days of walking would help that well enough. Sin often detested being as young as he was, seeing that his age made others take him less seriously, but the shorter healing time younger bodies went through was a benefit he couldn't deny.

"Thank you for having us, let's go, Scootaloo." The oaken pony declaired, his walking was halted after the older stallion called out to him, asking if he was still heading out west to Appleoosa. A question Sin answered in the affirmative, that he and his "daughter" were going there for family business.

"Ah see, well, friendly word of warnin'. Keep an eye out fer the Buffaloo once ya enter the shrub-lands. Apparently there was some fallin' out with the Appaloosa folks pertainin' to some tithe for the land."

"Tithe?" Sin questioned, confused as to why such a species would make such a demand.

The old stallion lifted his hat and absently scratched his head, expanding that there was an incident in the small settlement a few months back where the buffalo and ponies had a conflict over an apple orchard built over the native's sacred stampede ground. The issue was only resolved after the chieftain ate one of the pies used by the Apploosans that was tossed at him in the "Battle of Appaloosa".

"Story goes that the ponies were tired o' the extortion n' rejected givin' the buffs any more apples. Natives didn't take to kindly to that n' are chasin' off any pony who they find travlin' to the settlement." He said with a nod.

Sin found the entire story entertaining, but forewent giving him any credibility when the idea of using pies as a weapon came up. The old coot didn't even know the name of the town's bar, what chance was there of him knowing about some major historical event with any accuracy?

"Oh and whatever ya do, don't go into the desert of the Undiscovered West. Folks say terrible things happen there."

"Thanks." Sin said dismissively with Scootaloo and Angel in tow.

What a load of crock.

'I'd be inclined to advise you to be more mindful of your elders, but senility definitely has him by the balls.'

"So, we're heading to Applossa next. Why?" Scootaloo asked as the two wondered outside. Dividing his attention, Sin purchased some water, with the Dodge City tax in all of its magnificent glory, while trying to find some viable excuse to tell the filly.

Unlike before, where her eyes were bright and full of foalish innocence, they were slowly becoming more skeptical and demanding of him.

"Why not?" He asked lowly.

Scootaloo's jaw dropped at his counter. "Didn't you hear what that stallion just said?"

Of course Sin heard him, he didn't care, but he heard him.

"Yea, he also thought the town's bar was named the Thirsty Mare instead of the Cherry Pit. Sorry kiddo, I don't put too much stock in pony's who can't even remember the name of one of what? Twelve buildings in town?"

The filly tilted her head in a "fair enough" expression befor her eyes narrowed skeptically. "Wait, how do you know he doesn't know the name of the town's bar?"

'Oh, you fucked up.'

Sin pressed his lips in thought before answering that the inn keep had recommended he visit the establishment when he'd gone out last night and used the wrong name. Making it out as if the Federalist hadn't inquired about it at all. It wasn't that he was scared of her yelling at him or anything, it was just so the peace could be kept incase she had any problems with drinking.

'Nice save.'

The answer seemed to placate the orange foal well enough, but reluctantly so. It was clear she was growing tired of Sin keeping her in the dark about the reason for their travels and his late night missions, but there wasn't much that could be done about that.

The only thing Sin could do, when the subject came up, was play quid pro quo, and ask her a couple of questions about her family. Hopefully if he could get some details on some of her more favored relitives, he could somehow convince the filly to settle down with them and restart her childhood there in.

'Wait, you're going to tell her the truth?!'

Fuck no, are you kidding me? I'll just make up something else. Keep the "chasing somebody" aspect, but I'm chasing them for reasons other than revenge... maybe they stole something of mine or some such...

Alright, fair enough.'


Scootaloo picked up her freshly packed saddle bag and strapped it to her form in record time. Usually attaching the carriers took two ponies to do, but with all the practice she'd gotten over the past week and a half, mixed with a few tips and tricks Islander had tought her, the run away filly could unpack and repack her entire bag in mere minutes.

It was kind of sad that she was as proud of it as she was, but there really wasn't much else to do while traveling in the badlands. Last night's camping was as boring as it always was, Islander keeping to himself unless the she asked him a question about something, to which he'd either give long winded and elaborate answers or short quips that said more than they had a right to.

She couldn't quite put her hoof on why, but the way Islander carried himself and spoke just explained more than words ever could. He was reserved, and any sense of emotion gave credibility to the seriousness of his claims. Emotional communication and facial expressions were a rare thing on him, much less common than on any other stallion she'd ever met. It was a thing that bothered her alot, he had this fake smile that set Scootaloo on edge that he'd give her whenever she questioned his limp, contrasted heavily by the genuine smile he gave whenever he was being genuinely encouraging.

Another thing that set Scootaloo off kilter was Islander constant look of distance. Whenever they walked without speaking, his eye lids would droop in a thousand yard stare, always indicating that the stallion was in deep thought about something or another. The few times she'd ask about it, he'd always answer about things that never made sense to her like politics or moral situations. Just hearing the depth and details of his thoughts made her head hurt and she was amazed his brain didn't explode from all the information he ran through.

It also made her miss her old life in Ponyville, as well as her friends and... yea.

She missed Applebloom and Sweetie Bell, crusading around trying to find their cutie marks and going into all kinds of adventures or getting into trouble. She missed sitting at her old desk at school, listening to Cheerilee drone on and on about things that didn't seem so important at the time. Math, history, reading and writing, she hated it a two weeks ago, but she'd give almost anything to go back to it now.

And, on some level, despite their betrayal, she missed Macintosh and Annabelle. Their hugs, their kindness, their warmth, the way the earth mare would snuggle her if she had a bad day and kiss her on the top of her head right between the ears or how Macintosh would quietly and patiently listen to her as she asked small yet pertinent questions that foals found important but adults found silly.

Scootaloo didn't feel comfortable asking questions like that to Islander, nor even thinking about any kind of physical affection. His constant emotional distance and physical silence gave her the impression that he didn't want her around, that she was just a burden that he needed to constantly look after and take care of. Between his saving her from the timber wolves, that weird pony back in Trottingham, helping her set up her gear, and giving her his cloak on the really cold nights, it was a logical assumption to come to.

"Hey, Islander?" She asked, keeping her gaze on the ground.

"What's up, kiddo?" He replied absently.

"Do... do you not like me?"

Islander craned his head back at her and gave Scootaloo a look. "Why would you ask that?"

"Well, it's just that... you never talk to me unless I talk to you first, and when I do, it feels like I'm bothering you." She admitted honestly. Lilac eyes chanced a glance up at the icy blue orbs. Islander nodded in understanding and explained that he'd been on his own for so long, he was just used to not speaking too much. He was an "introvert" which meant that he preferred solitude over being around others.

His words did nothing to help with Scootaloo's feelings of being a burden.

"Don't get me wrong, I honestly don't mind your company. You're a pretty quiet kid and I can appreciate that. So don't feel like you're bothering me, I just don't have very good social skills." He finished putting on his own saddlebags and replaced the cloak he always wore. Once camp was packed up, the two resumed their trek into the early morning twilight.

"Though, if I am going to be completely honest with you, I'd rather see you somewhere you could call home."

Scootaloo felt a pinch of resentment at the word. Home, she didn't have a home anymore. "Home" was where ever the government and Foal Protection Services would end up putting her.

Islander let her small rant hang in the air for a moment, chewing on the words before finally asking: "You sure about that?"

"What do you mean? Of course I'm sure." Scootaloo snarked impatiently.

The oaken Federalist shook his head. "Not even a grandmother or aunt and uncle to stay with?"

"Why are you asking? I thought you said you didn't mind me!" The filly snapped, her patience on the matter running thin.

Islander stopped walking and lowered his head, glaring down at Scootaloo and stealing her irritation away in favor of slight fear. "I don't mind you, but I do mind this kind of life for you. What's your plan? Stick with me until you're old enough to make it on your own? You're a good kid, Scootaloo, and life traveling like this is no way for you to grow up."

The filly scowled back, almost two weeks worth of constant frustration of being kept in the dark all coming back to steel her will. "Yea? And what's so bad about sticking with you, huh? If life like this is so bad, than why are you doing it?! Huh!?"

Islander didn't reply, the two standing in a tense silence of the early morning, one pair of glaring eyes demanding answers while another pair glared back with reluctance. A small white rabbit watching nervously from the sidelines.

Scootaloo didn't intend to sound so demanding and harsh, but she was tired of constantly being told "don't worry about it" or "reasons" whenever she asked question. Islander had complimented her intelligence more than once, yet would never explain himself. Yea, she was the one tagging along, but would it kill him to let her in on the plan from time to time? Was she not allowed to be a little angry with him for dismissing her need to know?

"Because, kiddo I am not a good pony." Islander growled. He stood to his full height, bringing his glare to it's fullest intimidation. "I've seen some bad things in my time, terrible things. I've also done terrible things, things that would make you run screaming into the desert to get away from me if you knew about them."

"Pft, yea? Like what?" Scootaloo asked, taking exception to how fearful and weak willed he thought she was.

"You sure you wanna know? I want you to think carefully about tha-"

"YES!" Scootaloo shouted, startling her companion. "For Celestia's sake, yes! I know nothing about you! You're always so grumpy and secretive and I'm tired of it! If something bad about yourself is all you're willing to share, than fine!"

Islander regarded her with a softer gaze, his icy blue eyes clouding over in thought. "I've forsaken two of my best friends when they needed me most, and left them both to die."

Scootaloo gasped at the horrifying admittance, she'd expected to hear a story about Islander's time in his country's military. Maybe something about him in battle hurting somepony or even killing them, a long winded tale with build up and context. But that? She was not ready to hear that.

The Federalist turned away and said "Now tell me: does that sound like something a 'good pony' would do?" before continuing walking.

He... he left his friends to die? His best friends? What? How? Who could do such a thing? And most importantly...

"Why?" Scootaloo asked, her voice cracking with emotion. There had to be a reason, things like that didn't just happen.

"Because I needed to make a point." Islander sighed, turning back to Scootaloo with a look she'd never seen on him before, a look of guilt and sorrow. "Because I needed to show that I wouldn't allow threats and intimidation to bring me to submission."

The answer left Scootaloo even more confused than before she asked. Threats? Intimidation? Who was threatening him? Why would they do such a thing? What purpose could threatening him serve? Where was this? Was this in Equestria or the Federation? Was that why they were traveling so quickly? Was he running away from something? Or was he running after something?

Seeing the stallion beginning to walk again, Scootaloo jumped infront of him, and demanded he explain what he was talking about. Islander tried to side step her, but the filly wasn't having it, she wouldn't let him get away with being vague, not this time.

"Get out of the way, Scootaloo."

"No! Not until you tell me who threatened you and why." The filly shouted, standing on her hind legs and placing her front hooves on Islanders chest to emphasize her finality.

"Kiddo, I'm warning you." He growled, glaring down at her.

Scootaloo returned the glare with her own, waiting for something to happen. She knew Islander had some kind of weird earth magic, but that wouldn't sway her. If there was one thing she'd learned from Granny Smith about boys, it was that a filly had to be firm with them.

Islander wasn't like most stallions, though. Where most would smile sheepishly and submit if they were scolded by a mare, he didn't. The stallion simply looked at her, defiant and daring her to do something.

His ear flicked and the pony flinched as if in pain. "Alright, FINE!" He shouted, sending Scootaloo scuddeling backwards, leaving the pony to rub his head as if in pain.


Fuck's sake! I'm going to kill that little shit when I finally figure out a way to control the Nightmare!

'It's your own fault, Sin. You should have just kept your mouth shut.'

It was, but he saw a chance to open a dialog for Scootaloo to find her a decent home. Fuck him for trying to do the right thing, apparently.

Between the kid in his head, the kid standing in front of him, and the Nightmare, Sin had no choice now. She was a little thrown off by his outburst, but wasn't diswayed to his story.

So he told her the truth, well most of the truth. About him being a senator a year ago, about how he was friends with a pony named Zell, and how said pony's life was threatened when Sin voiced his opposition to a lobbyist in regards to a bill meant to give a certain corporation legal rights to use excessive force in their dealings with the Zeborican migrants... And how his standing by the principal resulted in Zell's assassination.

This lead into an even bigger conversation about what the Senate was, as well as an abridged explanation on the Federation's immigration policy, as well as the different states and their dealing with the zebra, and the threat said zebra could harbor.

Scootaloo had questions, of course, questions that had to be answered delicately and with tact. Minutes stretched into hours, each explanation bringing a million more questions for the filly to ask. Eventually the topic of the Triple M. Corporation became unavoidable, and Sin explained that too, keeping out the part about his family owning said corporation.

"Alright so... you were a senator, which is a lot like our city council, but for your entire country?" Scootaloo asked, her brow furrowed in concentration as she tried to piece everything together.

"Correct."

"And your country doesn't have a guard that's run by the government, but by a big business corperation thing?"

"Yes. Well, most of the country, anyway."

"And it tried to make you vote to let it hurt zebras more easily, and when you didn't, they killed your friend, Zell?"

"That would be the basic jist of it, yes."

Sin felt guilty for sharing the knowledge, as she thought about his explanation, Scootaloo would continually look over at him and he could see the guilt and pity in her eyes. She felt sorry for him now, she felt sorry for him and Sin didn't like it when others looked down on him in pity.

'Well, at least she knows a little about you now, that's good, right?'

Yea, sure, why not?

"I'm sorry to hear that. That's... I..." She fidgeted with her hooves uncomfortably. "I don't know what to say."

"Nothing to say. Wasn't your fault, nothing can be done about it now."

Sin looked up to see the sun had reached its zenith. The two had wasted alot of time talking and they needed to get going. Scootaloo agreed and fell in line with the stallion and asked him if that was why he'd come to Equestria.

"Hmmm, you know something, I've been answering a lot of your questions. I think you owe me a few answers."

Scootaloo scowled and made it clear she wasn't going to go to any of her family and that Sin should forget about asking if that was his intent. Still, the Federalist pushed the issue, saying that her choices on where she wanted to go were her own. He had no right to force her to go anywhere she didn't want to.

"You promise?" Scootaloo asked.

"I promise." Sin confirmed. "Now, you said your parents died right? How did they die?"

It was blunt but Sin needed to be. She wasn't any more tactful with her questioning, it was only fair he be just as straightforward. To his amazement, her parents had been researches who studied odd weather phenomena and died during an expedition in Griffonstone. The ponies would leave the filly alone for weeks at a time, calling in distant family members to come in and check on her. Family members who only did so out of a sense of obligation more so than a sense of concern.

According to her, the primary inquisitor was her Aunt Flowing Sky, who would only stop by once a week to yell at her about keeping the family home clean and drop off a few bits for rent and food from her folks.

'Wow, what a bitch.'

"It's alright though, I figured out how to pay the bills and shop and cook for myself. It did get kinda lonely though." She admitted forlornly.

Sin felt bad for her, at least his father was around to pay bills...

"Alright, so how long ago was the expedition?"

"A couple of months ago." The filly said sadly.

Sin gave her a wide eyed look.

'Wait, hold the phone, a couple of months ago? What? How did she survive that long without her parents?'

Sin theorized that the Aunt and other family had taken pity upon the filly and continued to give her money for the house, but Scootaloo shot that theory down when she'd lost the house because her parents were sending her aunt any more money to give her.

"So where were you staying?"

"Whitetail wood." Scootaloo answered, gaining a little perk back. "I camped there for a while, well, up until Applebloom ratted me out, anyways."

Sin nodded in understanding. He'd pegged Applebloom as the soft hearted sort who'd do that if she thought it was in a loved one's best interests. "Did she know about your situation? Did anyone know?"

The filly shook her head, her pride kept her from asking for help, a notion Sin would have condemned if it wouldn't have been so hypocritical on his part.

"And that's when Foal Services came for you, I take it?"

Scootaloo shook her head. "Hmm mmm, after they found me, I went to stay with..." She stopped in her tracks, her eyes misting over with tears.

"Stay with who?" Sin whispered, part of him feeling as if he already knew the answer.

"Y- you know what? It doesn't matter." Scootaloo sniffled. "All that matters is that they didn't love me... they handed me over to foal services the first chance they got and... they didn't even care..."

A pang hit Sin's heart as he watch the scornfilled tears fall. It made him sick to think about, handing over Scootaloo to the government. What kind of sick and duranged ass holes would even do that to her? Especially after her parents had died. He wanted to know who it was she was staying with, but he thought better than to push the issue. Instead going with his gut instinct and placing a comforting hoof on Scootaloo's shoulder.

She looked up at him and sniffled a couple of times. Sin was about to say something but found the filly's forelegs around his neck before he had the chance and clung to him for all she was worth. The stallion tensed at the touch like he always did, but soon relaxed and even lifted a hoof to rub her back, whispering soothing words to placate her crying.

"They said they loved me..." Scootaloo managed between sobs. "They said we'd be together, like a real family, but they... he... M- Ma-"

"Shh it's alright. You're alright now." The Federalist soothed, lowing himself to his haunches and holding the filly proper.

Despite everything Sin had told her, how he'd betrayed Zell's life to a mega corporation, Scootaloo still trusted him enough to not only be near him, but to hug him. To hug and be emotionally vulnerable...

He couldn't send her back to Ponyville, not after hearing all of that, seeing her in tears like this, it made his chest hurt in a way it hadn't hurt since... Uppity.

"I hate them..." She growled. "I hate them, especially Ma-"

"Alright, that's enough." Sin said gently, pulling the filly to look her in the eye. "I know it hurts to be betrayed by someone you love, I get it more than I care to admit... but I don't want to see you living in that hate, alright?"

Scootaloo sniffled, wiping her muzzle and looking up at him with hurt and confused eyes.

"If you do, you end up going through life angry, bitter and alone." He placed her back on the ground. "And I don't want that for you."

'Might wanna try to take your own advice there, Sin.'

Standing awkwardly and having no clue what else to say, the Federalist turned back to the direction of their march, following the train tracks that bridged between Apploosa and Dodge City.

"Why do you care so much about me?" Scootaloo asked. "You've only just met me, so, why..."

"I don't know." Sin chuckled half heartedly. "I guess... I see potential in you. Potential to make the world a better place, and I don't want to see that go to waste because of a tragic past."

Scootaloo blinked away a few tears and smiled at him, it was a weak one, a small little curve of the lip, but it was heartfelt and genuine.

Both having aired themselves out, the troop continued onward at a decent pace. Sin felt... lighter some how. Like his admittance of forsaking those closest to him had lifted a heavy weight from his back and helped bond he and Scootaloo better. An admittance that should have sent the filly screaming in fear and disgust had made her open up to him, open up a little more than he'd have liked, but if it made her feel better and brought her away from the path of the cynic, he'd happily deal with his own discomfort.

Author's Note:

Heavy dialog... very very heavy dialog.

PreviousChapters Next