• Published 5th Jun 2018
  • 3,130 Views, 36 Comments

Phantom Son - Firestorm808



When the sisters of the Sun and Moon were still together, an abandoned young colt was found in the garden. Against Luna's initial doubts, Celestia adopted him as her son. (Cover art by usernamedyen)

  • ...
2
 36
 3,130

Sounds of Music

After loading up a cart with a new batch of deliveries, the two proceeded through the bustling roads. While a few would notice the new help, they had more pressing matters to attend to.

The gray pegasus walked alongside Dusk, beaming. She pointed out several buildings they passed by. She lifted hoof again with glee. "Over there is the Mayor Mare's office. I've heard rumors that she used to have a different mane color. If we head two blocks East, you’ll get to see Sugarcube Corner and meet-"

Dusk smiled in thanks and chuckled. "That's nice and all, Ditzy, but aren't you forgetting something."

The blonde mare gave him a confused look. "I am?"

Dusk gestured to their satchels and the cart.

She stared for a bit before rubbing her neck in embarrassment."Oh, yeah. The mail. Sorry about that. I guess I got caught up in talking. Not many ponies stick around to hear what I have to say."

"From personal experience, I can definitely say that I'm not like many ponies."

'Yes. I would say that walking through solid objects and controlling ice without spells are definitely not things many ponies can do,' Nightmare added dryly.

The mail mare appreciated the sentiment. She pulled out the list and started crossing off a few names. “We’ll be working our way from the outskirts of the town and make our way back to the center.”

“Lead the way.”


The duo finally made their way to the home, passing a bush trimmed to the shape of a quaver note. Dusk blinked at the unique design split down the middle. While the left side of the house had a more brown natural feel, the right side had a mix of different shades of purple.

Ditzy went to the porch and knocked on the door. “Delivery!”

“Coming!” A few seconds later, an Earth pony greeted them. She had a dark gray mane and tail with a light gray coat. Her light purple eyes matched well with her pink bow-tie with a white-collar. Her cutie mark was a violet treble clef. “Hello, Ditzy.” Her eyes drifted to the stallion in the back. “Oh, you have a new co-worker.”

The mail mare nodded. “Yup. Octavia Melody, meet Dusk. Dusk, meet Octavia Melody.”

Dusk walked up to her and shook her hoof. “It’s a pleasure.”

‘I appreciate how she holds herself,’ admitted Nightmare.

‘Her tone is reminiscent of home.’ He reached into the cart and pulled out the respective parcel. “I believe this is for you.”

Octavia gladly accepted the package. “Thank you.”

Dusk turned to Ditzy. “So, who’s next?”

Checking the list, she brightened. “Good news. We don’t need to go far. It’s for Vinyl Scratch.”

“Oh, does she live nearby?”

“Actually,” interjected Octavia. “She’s my housemate.” The mare turned to the staircase. “Vinyl, come down! You’re mail’s here!" She coughed into her hoof. “She’ll be with us in a moment.”

“No problem.” Dusk found the right box and nodded. In the corner of his eye, a familiar object caught his attention through the open door. “Oh, you play the cello?”

“Ah, yes.” Octavia walked back inside and opened up her mail, revealing a new bow. “I’ve been playing ever since I was a filly.”

“Yeah, she’s one of the greatest musicians in town,” added Ditzy.

“Oh, she’s overselling me. There are many wonderful musicians in this town. How about you?”

Dusk chuckled. “I practiced the viola for a long time, but it’s been years since I last touched one.”

“Really? What happened?”

“Some family issues happened, and I lost my viola.”

‘I said that I was sorry. I made you one back on the moon, but you only used it once,’ huffed Nightmare.

‘It was made of moonstone and some of your mane,’ retorted Dusk. ‘It was uncomfortably heavy, and we both hated how it sounded.’

Octavia’s expression softened. “Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t know what would happen if I stopped playing all of a sudden.”

“Thanks to recent developments, I’m considering taking it back up if I’m able.”

“That sounds wonderful. Right now, I’m working on getting a chair in the Canterlot Orchestra.”

The blonde mare grinned. “It’s a big honor.”

Dusk smirked. “After hearing all of that, I’d love to hear you play live.”

“I could say the same about you if you get the chance.” The cellist put a hoof to her chin in thought. “Actually, would you two like to come in and hear a piece I’ve been writing?”

The stallion looked over to his pseudo boss. “Do we have time, Ditzy?”

She nodded with a smile. “With you around, I’ll be cutting my delivery time by a lot. We can spare a few more minutes. It’s been forever since I’ve heard her play too.”

With that, Octavia brought out a chair and started preparing her instrument. Dusk and DItzy set their cargo to the side and sat on the couch

(Beethoven's 5 Secrets - OneRepublic - The Piano Guys)

Once the last note was played, the audience of two clapped their hooves in excitement.

“That was beautiful,” complimented Dusk.

“I wish we could stay longer,” commented Ditzy.

Octavia took a light bow to their compliments. “Thank you for your kind words. If you would like to hear more, I and the rest of my group will be playing during the Summer Sun Celebration. I’d like to see you both again.”

At this moment, a door shut upstairs, and another mare came down the stairs to greet them. The white unicorn with an electric blue mane and beam note cutie mark bobbed her head to the beat of the music coming from her headphones.

Octavia rolled her eyes at the late arrival. “Took you long enough Vinyl.”

The unicorn simply smiled at the mail duo, continuing to bob her head.

“Vinyl, this is Dusk. He’s new at the post office”

He waved at the new arrival. “Hi. Nice to meet you.” He tried to shake her hoof one for her to give a firm hoof bump.

“Don't mind her. Vinyl doesn't talk much. She's more of a mare of action.”

“In any case, here’s your stuff,” exclaimed the blonde, giving Vinyl the package.

Vinyl grinned. With a tap of her hoof, her music stopped. She opened the box, revealing a new pair of headphones. She quickly tossed her old pair to the couch and replaced it. Just like before, she continued moving her head to the beat.

Dusk raised a brow. “Sorry for asking, but what is that? I can’t say I’m familiar with her music. It does sound quite energetic.”

Vinyl Scratch quirked her head while Octavia Melody coughed trying to hide a smile. “It’s not that surprising. Her style of music is actually a recent development.”

“Yeah. I can’t pinpoint the instruments”

“She actually uses those towers in the corner.”

He turned to see a desk-like object with records and all sorts of buttons and screens. “Fascinating.”

Luna was equally impressed. ‘I’ve never seen anything like it before.’

“It’s too bad that we don’t have time for another session, but we have to be on our way.”

Vinyl waved off his concern.

“There’s no need to worry. Just like me, she’ll be performing at the afterparty.”

Ditzy nodded. “We’ll see you there, then. Come on, Dusk!”

The four of them exchanged their goodbyes, and the two got ready for their next destination.

Dusk hooked himself back onto the cart. “Where to next?”

She started trotting ahead to the west. “Sweet Apple Acres.”

Comments ( 14 )

When are you going to update this story again?

nice, i was not expecting an update. a welcome change

I'm really enjoying this story and looking forward to the next chapter.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

10419095
Hopefully in the next week.

nice can't wait for next chapter

Good job you got me hooked

It has returned.

Anyone know whats going on with the author?

(Beethoven's 5 Secrets - OneRepublic - The Piano Guys)

Lovely choice in music a beautiful combination of modern and classic truly soothing to the soul

I wonder if this story will ever continue...

Login or register to comment