• Published 27th May 2018
  • 262 Views, 7 Comments

Letters - TalkingToMyself



Travelling around means meeting new ponies every day. But it also means leaving new friends and family behind sometimes. Luckily there are ways to keep in touch with everypony. These are some letters of Crystal Note, a travelling musician.

  • ...
 7
 262

In between letters

The summer sun shined brightly on the grassy hills behind Sweet Apple Acres. From her spot in the soft grass, Crystal Note could still smell the scent of apples in the gentle breeze and hear the sound of leaves rustling behind her.

In front of her was a piece of parchment, some words on it already. The quill she used moved steadily in her turquoise glow as she used her magic. It was easy for her to manipulate objects with levitation these days and her horn writing was accurate and neat.

Right now though, her quill rested on the parchment as Crystal Note thought of the next words to write.
In the distance, she heard three happy voices in laughter, and she looked up to watch.

The three fillies who were well known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders by everypony in Ponyville had finally reached the top of the hill. Crystal Note had been a little worried when she heard them call out their newest plan of being “Cutie Mark Crusaders rock climbers!” However, the hill they had chosen for climbing was just a little steeper than the gentle slope the crystal unicorn was sitting on and covered mostly in soft grass as well, so she had chosen to let the fillies have their fun.

She giggled when the three fillies checked themselves for new cutie marks, but to their great disappointment, they still had to wait for another day. Crystal Note saw them talk to each other before they turned around and ran towards her, three pairs of eyes shining with determination.

They cantered down the hill and stopped right in front of her. The mare waited for them to catch their breath and get comfortable in the soft grass as well. She didn’t need to say anything, she knew the fillies would soon tell her what she needed to know anyways.

Apple Bloom exchanged a knowing glance with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo before they focused their attention on Crystal Note and started talking
“So, we were wondering…
“We’ve already asked our sisters and their friends…”
“How did you get your cutie mark?”
Crystal Note smiled and turned her head to look at the familiar mark on her flank. Three musical notes, arrange into a triad in a dark blue colour on her silver-white coat.
When she turned back to the fillies, her smile grew even wider. Apple Bloom stared with eyes wide open and Sweetie Belle almost shivered from anticipation. Scootaloo tried to play cool, but even her ears were perked up just like the others.

Crystal Note giggled softly
“There not much of a story behind it, I’m afraid. I got my cutie mark when I played my violin as a filly, nothing spectacular. Sorry to disappoint.”
Scootaloo rolled her eyes, but Sweetie Belle didn’t let herself get discouraged
“So what you say is, you picked up a violin and you knew how to play it right away, because it’s your special talent, right?”
Crystal Note laughed her melodic chuckle and shook her head
“I’m afraid it’s not that easy, girls. I had to practice a lot to get a single clear tone out of my violin. Even longer before I could manage an entire song from beginning to end.”

The Crusaders exchanged some confused glances and then shook their heads
“That doesn’t sound like any other cutie mark story I heard.”
Now it was Crystal Note’s turn to look confused
“How so?”
“What we heard, as soon as somepony found their special talent, they got their cutie mark. If your talent’s music, you should have gotten yours when you first played, that’s how it works.”

Crystal Note giggled when Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo emphasized with some nods
“Maybe, sometimes, there’s an exception to the rule?”
“Or maybe, music isn’t your real talent!”

The three others stared at Sweetie Belle who tried to explain
“I mean, you can play your violin like nopony else and I’ve heard you sing, but maybe it’s not the music itself but what you do with it.”
The crystal mare tilted her head in thought and Scootaloo chimed in
“You lost me. So you say her talent is music, but not music at the same time?”
Sweetie Belle nodded and Apple Bloom did as well
“I think I get it. What kind of song did you play when it happened, Crystal Note?”
The crystal unicorn stared at the sky, past the fillies, right into her past it seemed

“I played an old song of the Crystal Empire. It had been the most difficult song yet and I practiced for months to get it down right. It’s still my go-to song whenever I pick up my violin, just like it was back then.”
“Okay, so you played your song as usual. But what was different that day?”
Crystal Note smiled fondly and her eyes settled on the trees in the distance, taking in the scent of apples in the air.

Apples… just like back then…

-*-

Harmony giggled along with her mommy, so much she had to set down her violin for a moment. They sat in the sun, on the bench in front of their home as usual. The streets were empty and quiet, everypony was either at work in the mines or smiths, or at school. Harmony wasn’t allowed in school with the other colts and fillies, so she had to stay at home. Her mommy wasn’t strong enough to work in the mines like her daddy, so she stayed at home as well. With the limited strength she had, she occasionally worked as a seamstress.

Despite her weakness, her mommy had the loudest laughter of anypony Harmony had ever seen. Being sick, tired or hungry couldn’t take that away from her. Her eyes glowed each time she told stories and legends with a voice that drew everypony in and when she sang the old songs, she touched their hearts as easily.

Harmony loved her mommy with all her heart and she was proud to learn from her. She eagerly absorbed every word her mommy said, every story, every song her mommy taught her. She listened when her mommy explained the meaning behind those songs and she practiced very hard on her violin. She wanted to touch ponies’ hearts with her music, just like her mommy could.

The violin once belonged to her mommy’s mother, though Harmony never met her grandmother. From the moment she first held the wooden instrument in her hooves, it felt right. With her mommy’s guidance, she learned how to stroke the bow over the strings. She learned how to use her hoof to create different notes and sounds. Soon, it was as natural to her like talking. Her mommy would sing a song and Harmony would then play it on her violin. But the best part was when they played and sang together.

Soon, they made up new verses to old songs, sometimes so silly they couldn’t stop laughing. Just like now.

Harmony perked up her ears and smiled to her mommy. The mare understood and turned towards the beginning of the street. She had learned to rely on Harmony’s excellent hearing and only moments later, colts and fillies ran into the street, the sound of their hooves on the crystal ground echoed through the empty street.

Most of the foals vanished in houses or turned into other streets. Only one filly walked all the way to the end where Harmony and her mommy were sitting.

Harmony smiled to the filly with the bright pink mane. Just as she called the mare ‘Mommy’, she called Rose Quartz her sister.

Rose Quartz kept her head hung low and Harmony’s smile faded. Something wasn’t right. Next to her, her mommy climbed from the bench with a pained grunt and carefully approached her daughter. Rose Quartz stopped in front of the mare but didn’t look up. The mare gently put her hoof on top of her daughter’s head and finally, the filly looked up. Harmony gasped and covered her mouth with a hoof when she saw tears in her sister’s eyes.

Without a word, the filly threw herself against her mother and started to cry silently when hooves wrapped around her.

-*-

“Crystal Note? Crystal Note?”
“Huh?”

The crystal unicorn blinked and looked back at the three fillies in front of her. The Crusaders were watching her attentively. She smiled when she saw the innocent and curious expressions on their young faces
“I’m sorry, girls. You asked what was different that day? There was one thing, I guess. When my sister got home from school, she was sad, really, really sad. She had a hard time in school, but she never cried in front of the others. She always waited until she was at home where nopony could see her, just me.
But that day, she came home in tears. Our mommy noticed right away, but the crying didn’t stop.”

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle dropped their ears and Scootaloo looked angry
“What happened? Did she get bullied in school?”
“No, Scootaloo. At least, not the way you think. My sister always wanted to learn more and she asked many questions to her teachers. That was the problem.”
“How’s that a problem? Miss Cheerilee always encourages us to ask more. She’s happy when somepony is curious and wants to learn.”
Crystal Note nodded with a gentle smile
“That’s because Miss Cheerilee is a wonderful teacher. You are very lucky to have her. But back then, in the Crystal Empire, the teachers didn’t want their students to think on their own. Just like the king, they wanted obedient ponies who did what they were told without questions.”

Now, Sweetie Belle shook her head
“Rarity always tells me that while it’s important to do as you’re told, you always have to think about it. Sometimes, it’s better to say ‘No’ instead of doing something that turns out worse in the end.”
Crystal Note sighed deeply. How could she explain this to three lively, happy fillies who grew up in times of peace, surrounded by loving friends and families? She just shook her head
“The teachers didn’t think that way, Sweetie Belle. They rather wanted you to do something wrong than you starting to question their commands.”

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle frowned, but Scootaloo threw her hooves into the air
“We’re getting way side-tracked here. So your sister came home from school crying. What has any of this to do with your cutie mark?”
Crystal Note smiled, but it was a fragile and sad smile
“More than you might expect.”

-*-

Harmony didn’t like seeing her sister cry. Not in her room in secret and especially not now on the street. Mommy was talking to her, but it didn’t help. It wasn’t fair. They had fun together while Rose Quartz was sad. If she could go to school with her, she could help her right away. She could protect her sister like she should.

But now it was too late for that. All she could do now was cheering Rose Quartz up. But how, when even Mommy couldn’t do it?
She looked at her violin. When Mommy sang, Rose Quartz was always smiling. It was worth a shot, but she would need the best song ever.

She picked up the instrument and closed her eyes. Just like her mommy had taught her. She knew which song she wanted to play. The old, difficult one, that didn’t have any words. The one her mommy had learned from her own great-grandmother.
She started to play, slow and hesitantly. The song was hard to get into, but she had practiced it a lot so she knew she could do it. But something was missing, she felt it clearly. Even her best song wasn’t enough for her sister. In her mind, she saw Rose Quartz and the tears. Something stirred inside her. She felt sad too, even though she hadn’t been there to see what happened. How could she show her sister she understood anyways? Maybe…

Her hoof moved carefully and her bow slowed down just a tad. It was hard playing the song, so she expected it to be hard changing it as well, but it was not. Just like she had imagined, the song changed its tone with just a few added notes. Harmony felt so sad for her sister and now the song sounded so sad as well. Harmony didn’t exactly know why or how, but she reached out to her sister with her song.

She heard a soft sniffle and her eyes opened for a moment. Her sister was in front of her, still held by Mommy and still crying. Rose Quartz didn’t look up but she inched a little closer. Mommy was looking though and she smiled encouragingly at Harmony. She returned the smile for just a second, then she closed her eyes again, pouring all her sadness into the song. And just as Harmony could give into sadness, so did Rose Quartz, no longer able or willing to fight it down.
The two sisters cried together and the song called out their sadness into the world.

-*-

“Boring.”
“Scootaloo!”
Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle glared at their pegasus friend but she just buzzed her wings
“Her sister was sad so she played a sad song. What has any of this to do with cutie marks?”
“It’s called sympathy, you dodo.”
“Stop calling me that! I still don’t know what that is.”

Crystal Note smiled softly
“Girls, no fighting. You’re all friends, remember?”
“Sorry, Crystal Note.”
The fillies said in unison and Crystal Note couldn’t help but giggle a little at this

“Now, where was I? I was playing this song, but I wasn’t playing for myself. I was playing only for my sister, so when she felt sad, the song turned sad as well. I wanted to comfort her, and I could make the song sound like it. It was as if my music could express what I felt better than words, and my sister understood when words wouldn’t have been enough. She stopped crying.”

All three fillies were listening when Crystal Note interrupted her story for a moment
“And then what?”
“Then… I don’t know how to describe it, girls. I wanted to show my sister how much I love her, how much she meant to me. I poured it all into the song. My sister and my mother were hugging and I felt like I was part of it too, even though I was sitting by my own playing. Then she smiled at me and my mommy smiled at me too. Then I knew. I would keep on playing, as long as it made somepony smile. I would practice until I could play even the hardest and most difficult songs. If it made just one pony smile, it’d be worth it.”

Apple Bloom rushed forward to hug Crystal Note’s leg when she saw her honorary sister blink away some tears. Scootaloo rolled her eyes but when nopony was looking, she smiled. Sweetie Belle was literally buzzing in excitement
“That’s it! Your special talent isn’t just music! It’s making other ponies happy with music!”
Crystal Note giggled and ruffled Apple Bloom’s mane as she returned the hug
“Well, yeah. But isn’t that what it’s all about?”

Crystal Note smiled at the three fillies as they started chatting excited and threw theories back and forth, new ideas how they could get their cutie mark.
She zoned out after a while and looked up at the few clouds in the sky. As soon as she had seen that smile, she had felt the tingle running through her body. Her sister said she’d even flashed briefly in the light. Crystal Note didn’t remember that, but she remembered that her mommy had pulled her into the biggest hug ever and squeezed her for minutes. Rose Quartz and she had run around all day, happy and excited.

And something else happened that made this day memorable.

-*-

Harmony stared at the table with eyes as wide as saucers. The table was laden with all kinds of goods and treats. So many things she hadn’t seen in a long time, like muffins with blueberries and cupcakes with frosting and sprinkles. And there were even some apples that looked so fresh and juicy, she had to close her mouth before she started drooling.

She snapped back into composure and faced the pony who had brought home this feast. She bowed deeply to the unicorn stallion
Thank you, father. I truly do not deserve a feast like this. Thank you ever so much.”
She almost felt it as she said it. Almost. If the stallion noticed, he didn’t show it
Nonsense, child. A cutie mark is a special occasion and needs to be celebrated appropriately. Never again will an earth pony like you be as close to real magic as this day.”

Harmony bit her tongue and swallowed her snarky reply. At least he didn’t say ‘mud kicker’ this time. She could forgive his arrogant behaviour, today she could.

They sat down and Harmony forgot most she’d learned about table manners as she stuffed baked goods into her mouth. The stallion selected a few items for himself in his magic hold
At least try to appreciate the food, Harmony. You wouldn’t believe how much trouble it took me to get these treats in from Canterlot.”

Harmony blushed and nodded, luckily her mouth was too full to say something. She knew that there was no way her father would have these treats delivered on such short notice. He probably had them stored someplace and now he had a reason to indulge under the mantle of celebration.

She didn’t argue. She had learned what it meant to be hungry. She had seen what meagre meals other ponies in the Crystal Empire had to share. Now she had the chance, she would eat until she couldn’t move anymore.
After what felt like eating her weight in muffins, Harmony had to cede. The table was still full of treats and the stallion had stopped eating as well. He was already sinking his muzzle into some dusty old tome, like always.

Harmony stared at the tasty treats and wondered. It would be worth risking his anger, she decided
Dear father, thank you ever so kindly for this wonderful meal. I had my fill, but I thought, maybe I could take a few things with me to my room? I might be hungry again later.”
She held her breath and waited. The stallion didn’t react at first, then looked away from his tome with some annoyance
What? You’re still here? Take it, take it all for magic’s sake. I don’t wish to be interrupted in my studies tonight.”

Harmony bowed her head and snatched as much as she could carry. Muffins, the leftover cupcakes, two fresh loaves of bread and a whole bushel of apples, and some more.
She carefully balanced her loot up the stairs and to her room. The streets outside where empty and dark, but she could see a flicker of a candle in the house next to her own still. That meant Rose Quartz was still up.

She leaned out of the window and called as loud as she dared
Pinky!”
She grinned as she used her sister’s new nickname and was called back by her own in return
Crystal Note?”
She waved towards the opening window, just a few metres away from her and called out
Incoming!”

She waited for two minutes for her sister to get ready, then she tossed one of the loaves of bread. She had practiced this a lot, so she easily made the throw into the nearby window. Rose Quartz had one of the bedsheets spread out like a trampoline to catch everything. Since Harmony and her father always had food and Rose Quartz and her family never had enough, the fillies thought of this way to share the blessings. By now, they were both really good at transporting food like that.

Harmony, no, Crystal Note she corrected herself, smiled and carefully lopped some apples next. She giggled when she heard Rose Quartz squeal in delight at she got the next delivery. Crystal Note made sure almost all the food made its way to her neighbours. In the end, she only kept two apples and one of the cupcakes for herself. She had eaten plenty earlier, but it was her cutie mark after all, so she deserved a little treat she decided.
When she was finished, she leaned out of the window and waved. Her smile grew wider when not only Rose Quartz, but also her mommy and daddy waved back at her. She hopped on the bed and threw a last glance at her brand new cutie mark. It was so pretty, but not as much as the smiles she had seen from her family. This really was the best day ever. Curling up on her bed, Crystal Note fell asleep with a happy sigh.

-*-

Crystal Note snapped out of her memories when the Crusaders laughed around her. She smiled and they returned it happily, until Scootaloo rubbed her tummy and groaned
“I’m hungry, guys. Let’s go get a snack at Sugarcube Corner or something.”
“But it’ll be dinnertime soon. Applejack always says no snacks before dinner.”
“Didn’t she say no desserts before dinner?”
“Sugarcube Corner only sells desserts.”
“They sell cupcakes.”
“That’s dessert.”
“Snack.”
“Dessert!”
“Snack!”
“GIRLS!”
Apple Bloom and Scootaloo stopped glaring at each other and stared at Sweetie Belle
“Doesn’t matter if cupcakes are desserts or snacks, so stop arguing!”

They two fillies glared at each other, then suddenly started to giggle. Sweetie Belle smiled and happily joined in, along with Crystal Note who had watched the little exchange silently. The crystal mare got on her hooves and made the short distance to the nearest trees. While she stared up at the higher branches, the three Crusaders watched both curious and confused.

Crystal Note smiled and her horn glowed softly. At the top branches, four wonderful ripe apples were picked up in her turquoise magic.
She returned to the fillies and each one accepted the red apple that floated towards them
“Apples are healthy and they count as a snack. And you’ll never hear Applejack say no to an apple, no matter how close to dinner.”
She winked at the fillies as they giggled.

With a bright smile, Crystal Note took a big bite out of her apple, savouring the sweet and juicy taste. Scootaloo snorted in laughter and Sweetie Belle beamed
“Oh! You do like apples, do you Crystal Note?”
The crystal unicorn tilted her head and Apple Bloom just pointed at her hoof. She glanced down and saw the happy sparkles that danced over her coat
“I really do.”
They shared another round of happy laughter, and Apple Bloom tilted her head curiously

“Say, sis. When’s the first time you ever had an apple in the Crystal Empire?”
Crystal Note just laughed her melodious chime and winked
“I think that’s a story for another time, lil sis.”

Comments ( 3 )

Nice to see you posting again. One quick note, however - you're getting caught with homonyms again. You confused desert for dessert.

9364143
Thanks. That happens when you try to proofread your own stuff :facehoof:

I'll be posting more in the near future.

9365025
I look forward to it.

Login or register to comment