• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,677 Views, 21,328 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,328
 30,677

PreviousChapters Next
98 — Strategies

Albus and Twilight exited the elevator on the bottom floor of the Ministry and headed towards a nearby lit fireplace.

“Will you be going straight home?” asked Dumbledore.

“Oh, yes. I want to tell Harry about this as soon as possible. He will, I’m sure, be delighted that his father’s friend was not a traitor. He was actually quite worried about that — he wanted to know whether Sirius Black was guilty or not.” She sighed happily. “And, with Sirius being innocent and being his dad’s best friend, Harry’ll want to hear all the stories he’ll have to tell Harry about his parents.” She smiled to herself. “I know he’s anxious to learn more about them.”

She stopped suddenly just as they reached the first floo.

“Oh, I almost forgot!” She reached inside her robes and pulled out a thick pile of folded papers. “I’ve officially adopted Harry into my family. He was soo happy he’s almost refused to let me go to the bathroom by myself this week!” She held the papers out to the shocked wizard. “Here’s the paperwork. I was ever so happy that the two Princesses themselves signed the papers! And it’s witnessed by Princess Cadance of the Crystal Empire, the mayor of Ponyville, my parents, and my brother.” She danced in place.

“His name on this side of the portal will be Prince Harry James Potter-Sparkle and in Equestria will be Prince Harry James Sparkle-Potter.” She sighed again. “Our wizard solicitors tell me that that shouldn’t have any effect on the Potter inheritance on this side.

“The muggle solicitor told me, now that Harry’s accepted, that he expects the final paperwork on their end to be complete in about a week, two weeks at most. All we’ll need to do is have a final appointment with a judge.”

Albus looked over at the auror at the Security desk and hoped he hadn’t heard the exuberant witch. The last thing he needed was for the press to claim that Harry had abandoned his heritage! From the way the other wizard was reading his Playwizard, badly hidden inside a book, it seemed as if he hadn’t.

That was good. It would give him a bit of time to manage how this information made it into the publics’ notice. Because it wasn’t a blood adoption, just a minor name change, there really shouldn’t be a problem with that, magically.

Politically, though, it had dire consequences for the wizarding world, and England in particular. If things became too untenantable for the boy, he would just go to Equestria.

Albus would have to work harder at ensuring that the Equestrians would want to help when Voldemort returned.

“Well,” she said as he tucked the file into his robes, “I have to hurry home. There’s a Ball in Canterlot tonight that I need to attend. You will keep me advised on the situation with Sirius Black?”

He nodded. “Yes. I’ll let you know immediately should anything come up that might affect his trial.” He paused a moment. “Would you like to attend?” he asked.

Twilight thought a moment. “Yes, please.”

“You’ll need to be in my office in Hogwarts at seven on Monday, then.”

“Excellent!”

Twilight paused a moment longer, thinking. “I know it’s late, but would you like to attend the Ball in Equestria tonight?”

He didn’t hesitate, “I would be delighted to attend!” he said. To see Equestria for himself, first-hand instead of through pictures or memories, wasn’t something he had anticipated happening so soon. And the other party he had been invited to would have been quite boring. He would plea that something unexpected had come up and he couldn’t attend.

“Good. I’ll meet you at my house at six. The floo address is ‘13 Wisteria Walk.’ And wear just your normal clothes. When you go through the portal you’ll be changed to a unicorn.” She grinned at him, then floo’d home. He stared into the floo for a moment. Changed to a unicorn? How so very odd!

But portals were tricky things. It was why vanishing cabinets were so rare. Making them was a long and involved process, and they had to be delicately balanced in magic. A major dent or scratch on one could cause a host of problems if one attempted to use it.

Hogwarts had one in one of the classrooms. No one knew where its companion was, however. And no one was crazy enough to try it to find out. If the destination cabinet was damaged, who knew what might happen? In the best case, you might get there and be unable to return. Which, if it was in a secret, sealed room somewhere could only end badly. Or, worse, it could just kill you.

Perhaps it was a fault with this one that the Equestrians didn’t think needed changing; it automatically forced one into a unicorn form when you went through it. After traveling through, a quick reversal spell and everything was put to right. Maybe their penchant for talking about themselves as ponies came from similar portals they used for traveling inside their homeland. Being transformed whenever they travelled would lead them to think being a pony was normal.

He smiled. His animagus form was a Nigerian Dwarf goat. What would it be like to be a unicorn?

This promised to be interesting on many levels.

He would have to remember to take along his dress robes in a pocket and change into them when he arrived.

He entered the floo humming.

۸-_-۸

When Rarity arrived at the Castle, Harry and the other first-years were all in the main sitting-room, perusing the books they had retrieved the day before.

“Well,” said the white mare, as she trotted into the room, “Aren’t you all excited?”

They looked at her blankly.

She rolled her eyes. “Twilight forgot to remind you, didn’t she?”

Harry glanced at the fillies, then back at Sweetie Belle’s sister.

She huffed. “I can’t believe you forgot! The Ball tonight! I’ve made a special appointment for us all at the Ponyville Day Spa. Aloe and Lotus Blossom are expecting us soon.” The colts looked at each other with dread. The fillies, except Scootaloo, lit up with delight.

“Oh, yes,” Sweetie Belle cried enthusiastically. Then she looked down guiltily. “We forgot about that because this morning we went to visit Zecora.”

“Uh huh,” said Apple Bloom. “The twins got into some Poison Joke, then on the way back we got ambushed by timberwolves.”

Scootaloo burst out, “And we kicked butt, too!” She darted around the room excitedly, overhead. “We blew them all up before the guards had a chance to do anything,” she bragged, throwing around her forelegs wildly. Myrtle nodded.

Poison Joke? Timberwolves? Was anypony hurt?” Rarity was shocked and wide-eyed. “Sweetie Belle!” she cried and dashed over to her sister, lifted her in her magic and began searching for wounds.

“Put me down!” Sweetie Belle cried out. “I’m fine! Nopony got hurt! The twins and Percy blew them all up before they even got close.”

“Blew them up?” Rarity looked around the room and focused on Percy.

“What the girls . . . fillies mean is that we all used our wands to repel the attack. My brothers and I managed to reduce their number by at least six, maybe seven,” he said, as if reporting to his boss, preening just a bit at being singled out as the adult of the group.

Six or seven?” Rarity repeated breathlessly. Her pupils narrowed to pinpoints.

He nodded officiously, “Yes, I believe there were at least a dozen, probably more. Only two or three remained intact.”

“A dozen? Or more?” Rarity blinked, then fell over backwards in a faint — onto a fainting couch that hadn’t been there a moment before.

Sweetie Belle sighed, then walked over to her sister. The others stared at the white mare on the couch. “Guess I’ll just have to throw this bucket of water on her to wake her up,” she said dryly, and stomped the floor as if she were carrying something heavy.

Just as she reached the couch, Rarity cracked an eye open. “Oh,” she said in fake faint voice, “what happened?”

After climbing off the couch, she demanded they tell her the whole story. At the spa. Where they could relax. And spiff themselves up before donning the dresses and jackets she had slaved over last night.

The twins readily joined them as soon as Harry knocked on their door. He saw George stuff something under the mattress of their bed before joining his brother in the hall. He knew better than to question the twins. But he wondered what they had found at the Two Sisters’ castle.

Minutes later, they met the other four adult mares at the door of the spa. Aloe and Lotus Blossom had prepared the rooms for them and they spent the next hour getting meticulously fussed over. For the humans, except Harry, this was a unique experience.

Meanwhile, they regaled the adults with the story of their trip through the Everfree. Twilight was late, naturally, but not by much.

Twilight gleefully told the others of her discoveries in the Ministry. And not so gleefully told them about Azkaban.

“So, my godfather is innocent?” Harry asked happily. “When can I meet him?”

At this, Twilight hesitated. “He’s very sick,” she said softly. “I’ll arrange a meeting as soon as I know he’s well enough.” She paused at his crestfallen expression. “I know you want to meet him, but he really is very sick.”

She took a deep breath. “Remember how unsure of yourself you were when you first came here?”

He nodded slowly.

“Well, Sirius Black is like that, but much, much worse. He has great difficulty separating what he wants to see from what he does see. And sometimes what he thinks he sees isn’t really there. He changes moods from second to second. And he frequently forgets what he just said.”

Harry’s eyes widened slightly. “Then meeting me might help him?” he suggested. “It would give him something to focus on!”

She nodded, “Or it might set him back.” She chewed her lower lip. “I think we should give their doctors time to work with him before doing that. A week or two, at least. Okay?”

Reluctantly, he nodded his agreement and stared morosely at the floor.

“You’re not regretting the adoption,” she asked very quietly, hesitantly. So quietly only he could hear her. “Are you?” From her tone he could tell she was worried.

He jerked his head up. “Never!” he said urgently, and flung himself at her. For the rest of their time at the spa he stayed very close to Twilight.

After the morning’s excitement, it was a very restful afternoon as they considered what they had heard and learned that morning. Harry spent a good bit asking the others what they thought his godfather would be like.

Then the group made their way to the Carousel Boutique to get the gowns and jackets. And then adjourned back to the castle where Rarity made a few last minute adjustments to their apparel.

After dinner, Twilight announced, “I have another guest to get, so I’ll be back in half an hour. Then we can take the floo to Canterlot and the Ball.”

After she left, the females went off for a bit of final preparation. The twins retired to their room for a little reading, they said. That left the other three in the sitting-room. Percy grabbed a history book of Equestria while Ron and Harry started a chess game. Ron still beat Harry at every game, but Harry was slowly making it harder on the wizard.

۸-_-۸

Elly was quite pleased with the way things were going for her. The Abbotts were very genial, and the atmosphere of love around her kept her reserves steady. The burst at the beginning had settled to a steady stream, with occasional spikes late at night. It wasn’t enough to grow, but it was sufficient to survive. She would have to begin planning for the future. Especially as she couldn’t stay in Hogwarts forever. Still, though, she had seven years to put it all together.

In the meantime she learned the ins and outs of the wizarding world. There had been parties which the young witches had to attend, where they had met some of their friends from Hogwarts. Unfortunately, those parties were virtual deserts as far as she was concerned. Unlike the pony parties she had been told about, these had been all political manoeuvring and status demonstrations. There weren’t that many singles at all.

And nothing at all like the wild and generous parties thrown by the Weasley twins in Gryffindor.

Out of Hogwarts, she would do much better at Madam Puddifoot’s. Running a chain of such restaurants still appeared to be her best source of food for a hive. Not that she had a hive to supply.

Otherwise, the parties reminded her of the desert lizards competing for control of the herd. They puffed out their cheeks and sides, held their heads high and flashed colours, shook their tails provocatively, and fought each other over trivial cracks and crevices in the rocks. The losers lost status and position — and sometimes their lives. Survivors promptly tried to trick the herd-head into making a mistake while sabotaging their own competitors.

There was a lot of political manoeuvring in the hive, but the overall goal for everyling was to protect it and keep it safe. No ling would ever place himself or herself above the hive. There was only one leader, undisputed. Her council was the smartest and best the hive had to offer. No ling destroyed another just for his own advantage, or just because he could. A ling won its position by what it could do, not who it could trick or sabotage.

The wizards and witches, though, seemed to set much store by how many galleons they controlled, how many others paid them allegiance, and who listened to them when they wanted things done a certain way. Even if that way seemed to hinder the overall running of the Ministry. They were only concerned with their own prestige.

It was all quite puzzling, because she couldn’t understand how someone like Minister Fudge could have such power. He was weak, only a fair magic user, and barely able to match a wandless ling, from what she had seen. He was poor by comparison to those around him. He wasn’t smart, in that he was always asking others what he should do.

And he was a traitor to the Ministry because he placed his own welfare about that of everyone else in the Ministry hive.

Still, she was beginning to see the cracks and crevices in the society around here. While the fissures and flaws were different from the desert lizards, the results were the same.

From the private parties she had attended, she could see that her classmates’ families separated into three branches. They were neutral, light, or dark. Just like the divisions in pony society, except those were understandably tribal in origin. The wizarding branches — arbitrary definitions in the political landscape — seemed to be based on the types of magic and artefacts each branch liked and used. It was almost like the unicorns arguing over who had the biggest horn or the pegasi arguing over whose wings were stronger. The wizards argued on how muggles should be treated, and whose magic was the oldest. An incomprehensible concept to Elly, coming from Equestria where everything magical dated back into unknowable history. Where everything living had magic.

The former concerned her greatly. Even a cursory look at the muggles and their technology showed that they would be no pushover if a war broke out. The fact that the wizards and witches had had to conceal themselves centuries ago because of the threat posed by the muggles was sufficient unto itself. Antagonizing the muggles today would be a very bad mistake.

The muggles had greatly improved their technology over the centuries, and could do many things the wizards simply did not grasp. They didn’t seem to understand that if an opponent out-numbered you by 1,000-to-one, it didn’t matter how much magic you controlled, you would lose in a straight-up battle.

The lings understood hiding among a more numerous foe. They understood that it didn’t matter if you could sway a few leaders with venom to your side, and bugger up the enemy’s armies with confusion and distraction. If it came to a fight in the open, the more numerous one would win. Period.

It was why the Griffons, dragons, and — now — lings weren’t in charge in Equestria. And lions, tigers, panthers, bears, and wolves were rarely seen. The much more numerous ponies kept them away.

It was far better to remain hidden. It was rank folly to taunt the muggles.

And this “pure-blood” nonsense? If having numerous magical ancestors was all that important to magic, then why didn’t all the pure-bloods score at the top of the classes at Hogwarts, the muggle-borns score at the bottom, and how were squibs possible? Sure, it was possible that a fluke would be born once in a great while, but not every pure-blood family should have squibs in the family tree. Which rumours said they did.

It was like albinos. Sure, it was possible to have an albino offspring, but it was so rare as to be almost impossible.

So, as far as she could tell, the divisions in the wizarding culture were completely artificial. And based on a poor understanding of both numerical inferiority and just how much one couldn’t rely on magical prowess.

And the wizards that believed such drivel were headed for disaster just as surely as Queen Mother’s plans had been for Canterlot.

Which was why she was making today’s visit to Diagon Alley a visit to Gringotts. After assuring the Abbotts that she didn’t need them to accompany her to the bank. It hadn’t been as easy as she had first assumed. They had refused to let her wander the Alley completely alone. Their main reason for resistance was that she was unfamiliar with the area, and England’s customs in general.

That was why they were there here on a Saturday afternoon. A family visit to the Alley didn’t require taking a special day off from work.

They had finally agreed to leave her at the base of the bank’s steps. After thanking them for accompanying her — the books at Hogwarts on etiquette had been a great help — she started up the steps. She nodded to the guards on duty as they opened the doors for her.

She made her way to the first available clerk she could see.

“My name is Elly De Rippe,” she said to the goblin once he looked over his counter and down at her. “I would like a meeting with Knifethrower, if he is available.”

He stared at her a moment, then looked at something she couldn’t see. “Slasher!” he snarled over his shoulder. “He will conduct you to a room to verify your identity,” he sneered at her. “If you are who you say you are, you will meet Knifethrower.”

She nodded and turned to follow the second goblin as he took the paper from the counter goblin and hurried off deeper into the bank. He led her into a room just inside the corridor entrance and closed the door. He stared at her.

She stared back, then realized what he wanted. She transformed into the gold-coloured unicorn mare with a two-tone blue mane and tail, and green eyes. She turned slightly so he could see her smoky five-pointed star cutie mark. He glanced at the paper, nodded. “Follow,” he said curtly, and led the way back into the corridor.

She turned back into Elly, and again followed him as he went deeper.

The door he finally opened was Knifethrower’s office, she assumed. The seated goblin stared at her, then shoved a small paper and knife to her.

After she dropped her blood on the paper, he looked up and asked, almost politely, “What can Gringotts do for you today?”

“I want to purchase a manor in Scotland with a large estate. Isolated from both muggles and wizards. The manor needn’t be large but must have a decent-sized basement or dungeon. It must have at least a caretaker’s cottage — either original or built — out of direct view of the manor. The cottage should be large enough for a family with several children. There should be a hidden tunnel from the basement to the cottage’s master bedroom. Additional cottages would be nice, perhaps clustered as a tiny village? All should have a floo-connection — password-protected, of course. A full suite of protective charms, as well, to encompass both the cottages and manor to protect it from wizards. It should have a muggle-repelling charm, but only strong enough to stop the mildly curious and not a determined person. An alarm charm to warn us when a muggle is on the land. A greenhouse needs to be constructed beside the cottages for foodstuffs. And the open land farmed to pay expenses.”

She had spent a long time thinking about this. She needed a safe place for the summer. When the war came, she wanted nothing to betray her real home, hidden underground, to the muggles. Several of the books on estate planning in the Abbotts library had been quite useful, in that respect. Let them see only what they expected to see.

“After it is acquired, hire several wizarding families to live there and operate it. They must have at least one child under a year old, each, or expecting.”

She would need a food source, no matter what.

“I would also like to start a restaurant similar to Madam Puddifoot’s, but not quite so . . . pink.” While many of the witches liked Madam Puddifoot’s, a large number of the wizards did not. She wanted a business that both enjoyed. “Something romantic, but not so over-the-top. I will need you to hire a staff for it until I graduate.” She paused to give him time to finish making notes.

“Do I have sufficient funds to do that?” She knew she had a lot, but what that meant in real terms she had no idea.

“You don’t want this hidden from muggles?” he said scornfully.

She shook her head. If the muggles could find it easily, and it was on the tax rolls, then they wouldn’t suspect it was a wizarding property.

“Only from wizards?” He watched her reaction with narrowed eyes.

She nodded. She didn’t want to attract the attention of the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes or the Improper Use of Magic Office. She had been warned of those two by her classmates. The less reasons the wizards had to visit her estate, the better.

“Difficult. Very Difficult. But doable,” he said slowly, considering. “And you have sufficient funds.” He nodded brusquely. “I will select a dozen promising estates of at least 200 acres and owl you your choices.” He frowned. “Where do you want the restaurant?”

She could taste his avarice spiking.

The manor would probably be something they had acquired from a destitute wizard and would sell to her at an inflated price. Or something they could acquire cheaply to sell to her at an inflated price. Maybe even an abandoned muggle property. She didn’t care.

“Either Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade. If it’s in Hogsmeade, I want a dedicated and private floo from Diagon Alley to the restaurant. And the reverse if it’s in Diagon Alley.”

She had listened to how the students complained about the perenial crowding in Hogsmeade whenever the students were allowed to visit. And the lack of any real entertainment. Perhaps she could attach a theatre at a later date. She voiced that option to the goblin.

He grunted. “Hogsmeade is cheaper, but has far less traffic for a new business. An entrance in Diagon Alley directly to the restaurant is an interesting idea, however.”

He checked his notes, then looked up. “Is there anything else?” he asked in a tone to indicate he didn’t expect there to be.

There wasn’t, really. She shook her head.

“We will owl you our recommendations,” he said and returned to his notes.

She stood and left the office. A goblin was waiting outside the door, and conducted her to the lobby.

There. It was started. Now, when summer arrived, she would have a home ready. There wouldn’t be a time crunch to get everything done before school restarted. And she would be able to start on her sanctuary under the estate.

She sat on one of the couches at the side of the lobby, as if she were waiting for someone, and read one of her history books. After two hours, she headed out the bank and towards Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour to meet Hannah and the rest of the family. In another hour or so, it would be dinner time.

Although she planned to claim that she had had the goblins bring her a sandwich while she talked with her manager.

۸-_-۸

“This is Brill,” Thalia shouted just before she collided with the wall, again, and slid down to the floor before she could catch air in her wings. Castor shook his head. His daughter had been carrying on all day about being a flying pony. She picked herself up and trotted unsteadily over to her mother.

“Hey mom, can I wear my wire bracelet?”

“I thought you left that at home?”

“So did I,” she glanced over at her saddlebags. “But the bracelet, hair band, and matching necklace were all at the bottom of the bag when I went to get my toothpaste this morning.”

“Let’s see,” commanded the girl’s mother.

The hair-band was too big for her mane, but fit nicely on her tail. The bracelet was too big for her leg, but the necklace was just perfect. The two decided that her mother would wear the bracelet.

They were actually just costume jewellery. His daughter had bought them last summer because she liked the intricate designs the aluminium wire had been shaped into. And the fact that they were so light meant she could tuck them into her purse and pull them out at a moment’s notice to look “posh” at a party.

The girl darted over to him and gave him a huge hug.

“Everyone thought I was barmy when I told them about meeting Princess Diana at the Embassy. This time they’ll think I’m completely off the trolley when I tell them I was a flying pony!” She giggled loudly. “Until I show them the pictures!” she glanced at her camera on the table by the door.

“This is the best hols, ever!” she declared.

Milada shook her head and sauntered over to Castor. “From detective to minor noble. How you managed to do all this since summer, I’ll never figure out. What’s next? Meeting the Queen?”

“My sergeant would say it was simply a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time,” he said dryly.

She bumped him with her shoulder. “Ha!” Then she sighed and looked at the clock. “We’d better get started. The maids will be here in a moment. It’s only an hour to when we have to be at the ball.”

۸-~

PreviousChapters Next