• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,606 Views, 21,323 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,323
 30,606

PreviousChapters Next
40 — The Naked Truth

Castor wasn’t sure which surprised them more, that Lady Dash had apparently walked into a tree and disappeared, that she had been completely nude and didn’t seem to care, or the wonderfully intricate and colourful wings-tattoo she had on her back.

Colonel Thiessen was frowning, thinking. “Can one of us go through? Take a quick look on the other side?” He clearly wanted to eliminate the possibility that it was all some sort of stage-magician’s trick.

Princess Sparkle looked uncertain. “I’m not sure that is wise,” she said slowly. “We’ve only had two people go through the portal, so far. One, Mr. Yueshi, went through without any changes whatsoever. The other was changed to a pony, which he found to be a very traumatic experience.

“He’s fine, though,” she added quickly when she realized what that sounded like. “It was just such a surprise, and he didn’t know how to walk without falling down all the time.” She thought a moment longer, then said, “Would it be alright if Mr. Yueshi took a couple of your cameras through and took pictures for you?” she said, hopefully.

Mr. Carroll stepped forward. “I would be willing to take the risk. I went through military training when I was younger. If it is unpleasant, I’m sure I can handle it. And if it isn’t, well, no harm done, right?”

Castor was impressed that the man’s voice was steady. Stepping onto a different world was . . . daunting.

She pressed her lips together tightly, thinking. She sighed and shook her head.

“Mr. Yueshi?” she called out.

“Yes, Your Highness?” He stepped into the hallway.

She closed her eyes in exasperation, then glared at him. “Would you please accompany Mr. Carroll? Perhaps take along a camera to get some pictures for them?”

“I would be delighted, Your Highness.”

She huffed in annoyance at his continued use of her title as he went over to Mr. Tenniel and they had a quick discussion over which cameras he would take.

While they were busy, Princess Sparkle called out again, “Emerald Arrow? Would you have somepony pop through the portal to warn everypony that Mr. Yueshi and another human are coming through, and that the new human might transform?”

The Princess looked at the humans. “We’re keeping a close watch on the portal and I wouldn’t want any of you to get hurt because somepony was startled.”

One of the men from the tent’s front-room hurried in. As he reached the Princess, she grabbed his arm and whispered something to him. He quickly walked down the hall and through the tree.

“We’re ready, Your Highness.” He had the video camera, running, in his hand, with a new tape in place in case the portal ruined the camera, and a 35mm camera, also with a new roll of film.

“Right,” she said a bit sharply. “Make sure you read the sign on the tree.”

He nodded and tilted his head at Mr. Carroll. They started walking towards the tree.

“Just relax,” Yueshi said to the M.I. agent. “It’s perfectly safe. Pretend you’re stepping through a curtain. As Her Highness said, read the sign. I’ll go first.” He disappeared through the portal without pausing.

The agent hesitated, then squared his shoulders and disappeared as he stepped forward.

۸- ̰ -۸

It had been at least ten minutes since the two had disappeared through the portal, and they were starting to get worried. Even the Princess seemed a bit concerned at the long delay.

“If something had gone wrong, they would have been back almost immediately,” she had reassured them after the first three minutes. “They’re probably just taking a good look around and taking pictures for you.”

But, now, she turned to her friends outside the hall. “Rarity?” she said, not quite concealing the worry in her voice, “Do you think you could check on things?”

“Certainly, Twi,” the addressed woman said.

Castor heard the door flap on the left side rustle as she went into the changing room. However, before she could come out in the hall, their tardy humans came stumbling back through the portal. Or, rather, Mr. Carroll stumbled back through. Lady Dash was right behind him, his clothes held in her arms. She was laughing hysterically. Mr. Yueshi followed her, shaking his head. Finally, lastly, the other guard came through carrying his clothes. He ducked into the men’s changing room.

Mr. Carroll held to the railing with a solid grip as he stared at them. “I flew,” he said breathlessly. “I became a pony and flew!”

“You shoulda seen him,” crowed Lady Dash. “He crashed every time he got more’n head height off the ground! The littlest foal could fly rings around him.” She returned to laughing, tears coming from her eyes.

Mr. Carroll just stared at them, “I was a pony, and I flew!” He said, incredulously.

Mr. Yueshi, on the other hand, was just shaking his head sadly. He walked over and handed the cameras to Mr. Tenniel. “I shot the entire roll in this camera,” he held out the 35mm. “And kept the video camera running the entire time,” he said dryly. “Hopefully, the portal didn’t ruin the recording or film.”

He looked over at Lady Twilight. “Some people get all the luck,” he said, clearly wishing he could have transformed, as well.

She nodded. “So, Colonel Jayson Thiessen, will that be enough?”

He returned her nod, staring at the M.I. agent who was slowly getting himself back under control and realizing he wasn’t wearing any clothes.

Lady Dash, still giggling, shoved the man’s clothes into his arms and said, “Hey, Twi, are we done here? I need to go kick some clouds or Ponyville is going to have some nasty weather tonight.”

“Oh, sure, Dash. See you later.”

The nude woman turned and took a short running leap through the portal.

For Royalty and nobles, these young . . . ponies? . . . were more than a little rough around the edges. The only one that came close to the image of a noble was Prince Blood. Was it the difference between those born into nobility and those who were not? Or was this just something natural for them? The difference between males and females?

The humans followed the Equestrians as they headed back to the house. When they reached the vehicles, the Colonel stopped and said, “I will make sure that your request for an embassy is taken to the highest authorities possible, as quickly as possible. In the meantime, if there is anything I can do to assist you, please contact me.” He held out his business card to the Princess.

“Thank you for your assistance,” she said. “If you have any questions, please give me a call. I believe Detective Inspector Searle has our number here.” She gave Castor a quick smile.

He nodded. “Yes, I remember it.”

The Princess, followed by the rest of her entourage, went inside the house. Miss Arrow stopped on the front porch and watched them.

“All right, gentlemen. I think we should head to Thames House to debrief and inform your superiors of what we’ve discovered. Sergeant Searle, you’ll come with us. Just leave your keys on the driver’s side floor and someone will return it to Guildford for you.

“And let’s see that video from the other side before we go anywhere.”

To say the video was astonishing was an understatement. To see the M.I. agent floundering around in his suddenly wrongly proportioned clothes was both amusing and scary. To see him flap his wings once he was out of the clothes and actually lift off the ground was amazing. Watching Lady Dash flying circles around him while coaxing him to fly was . . . simply indescribable. There could be no doubt that the portal was real, that there really was another world on the other side of that tree.

They had really, truly, been contacted by an alien race from another planet. The implications were as terrifying as they were amazing. Man was not alone in the universe. That would rock every religion on Earth. That they were miniature talking ponies merely added to the surreal atmosphere of the situation.

Mankind was not unique.

The park-like atmosphere around the tree, with its spiralling deck, and the massive stone walls a short distance away were puzzling. It all looked as if it had been there for years, yet the Princess had told Castor that they had only known the portal’s location for a month.

After the tape finished, Mr. Carroll took the wheel and started them back to London. Castor spent most of the drive recounting what he had learned from talking with the Princess. They were not pleased to hear the Equestrians had already taken over six thousand books on culture, science, technology, and history through the portal. Mr. Dodgson, the Security Service agent — M.I.5 — was already making plans to visit the Little Whinging bookstore to see exactly how much human knowledge had been plundered. And where they might expect the Equestrians to have difficulties understanding. And what they knew that the government wished they did not.

“Well, Sergeant Searle,” Colonel Thiessen said, “at the moment, you have the most information on these Equestrians, based on what you’ve said. And this Princess Sparkle seems to like you.”

Castor looked at the Colonel in growing horror.

The Colonel sighed. “I may not be in the chain of command anymore, but it looks like you’re going to be reactivated until this is sorted,” he said sympathetically.

Oh Bloody Hell! Castor had just known he was going to get the short end of the stick! His wife would not be amused that he was once more in the Sport and Social.

۸-ꞈ-۸

Staff Sergeant Castor Searle — at least they had had the decency to increase his rank when they reactivated him — sat at the board-room table and tried not to fidget. Under normal circumstances that wouldn’t be a problem. In the Special Air Service one quickly developed nerves of steel.

However, it was the brass in the room that made him nervous. Not a harrowing mission deep in enemy territory after a ludicrously dangerous High Altitude Low Opening parachute jump. It was the final Chinese Curse of Life — “May people in high places recognize you.” You couldn’t get much higher than the Prime Minister. Well, at least things couldn’t get any worse.

He was at the far end of the table. Beside him, to his left, sat Colonel Jayson Thiessen, Retired — retired for the moment, at least. Heading up the table was the head of the Sport and Special, Director Special Forces Brigadier Jeremy Phipps. Then came Head of Army, Field Marshal Sir John Lyon Chapple; M.I.5 agent, Lewis Carroll; and Director General of M.I.5, Sir Patrick Jeremy Walker. Last, and closest to the empty chair at the end of the table, was the Home Secretary, The Rt. Hon. Kenneth Wilfred Baker, Baron Baker of Dorking — whose Brylcreem slathered hair really did shine in the room’s light, reinforcing the slug-like image chosen for him by that satirical program, Spitting Image.

Across from the Home Secretary was the Foreign Secretary, The Rt. Hon. Douglas Hurd. To his left were the Director General of M.I.6, Sir Colin Hugh Verel McColl, and M.I.6 agents Charles Dodgson and John Tenniel.

The two Secretaries were frowning as they, once more, went through the stack of photographs taken by Tenniel and the hardcopy reports from the debriefing that had taken the rest of Saturday. The Head of Army had his own, much smaller stack of photos, at which he was scowling heavily. He was clearly unhappy that the high-altitude photos taken of Little Whinging, with special attention to the area beside the playpark, showed almost nothing of interest. As Castor had suspected, the ponies’ camouflage was excellent. There was nothing to indicate the presence of either the tent or the walkway. They had even, somehow, managed to seamlessly blend the thermal signatures of everything to match the surrounding forest. Neither ultra-violet nor infra-red had discovered anything unusual. Not even the bodies of the guards they knew were positioned around the area were showing up.

Whatever the ponies were using, he knew the Army scientists would be salivating to get their hands on it.

The door to the room suddenly flew open and the Prime Minister, John Major, walked in.

They all stood.

“All right,” he said, clearly irritated, “What’s the emergency that required getting me out of bed at two in the morning?” He glanced at the thick folder placed on the table as he sat in the chair at the head of the table. There was a television and video tape recorder on a nearby stand, positioned for his easy viewing.

“Prime Minister,” said the Home Secretary without preamble, “Aliens have contacted us and requested permission to establish an Embassy in the town of Little Whinging, Surrey.”

Major stared at him, one eyebrow slowly rising. “Aliens,” he said flatly, staring at Baron Baker. “Aliens . . . as in little green men from Mars with flying saucers?” he said incredulously. “Are you having me on!?” He was on the verge of becoming very angry.

Baker met his gaze unflinchingly. “Some are green, without a doubt. But not little men. And not from Mars. No flying saucers. But, definitely, beyond the shadow of a doubt, not from this planet, nor any other in our solar system.” He nodded at the folder on the table. “They showed our agents, Dodgson, Tenniel, and Carroll, a portal, a gateway, if you choose, to their world.” He indicated the three. “Mr. Carroll actually went through it and their solicitor took the pictures you see of the other side. They claim they discovered the portal by accident.”

Major sighed heavily and looked at the folder on the table. Slowly he reached over and opened it.

The top photo, a magnificent colour A4, was of Princess Twilight Sparkle, Colonel Thiessen, Sergeant Searle, and agents Carroll and Dodgson. The Princess was standing proudly with her head up high, a solemn expression, and wings spread wide in front of the humans. Hovering behind and slightly above them was Rainbow Dash with what Castor called a shit-eating grin on her face. That the Princess’ head was barely waist-high merely added to the surrealism of the image.

“Oh, come on,” the Prime Minister said, rolling his eyes. “Purple and blue flying horses? Are you all daft? This looks like something my daughter Elizabeth would come up with.”

“We have video, as well, Prime Minister, shot by agent Tenniel.”

Major started flicking through the remaining photos. Seeing the before and after photos of the ponies as humans brought another exclamation. “Really?”

He spent some time studying the photos from the other side of the portal, lingering on the ones showing flying ponies and unicorns in the background. And the armour they wore.

Then they started the recorded tape.

After one last look through it, he slammed the folder shut and stared at each of them around the table. He looked up at the ceiling for a moment.

“How f*cked are we?”

The Home Secretary nodded. “Not bad, at all, actually.” He glanced at the two agents and ex-S.A.S. soldiers. He began ticking things off on his fingers. “The bad news is that they’ve been here for three weeks, since July 25th. They’ve hired an intelligent, competent solicitor. They’ve purchased over six thousand books — they converted substantial amounts of gold and gems for pounds through local dealers and Barclays Bank, handled by the solicitor. With a few exceptions, they’ve purchased all the properties within half-a-kilometre around the portal in Little Whinging, again handled by their solicitor. The portal is completely within their control. And, as the photos showed, they can pass as humans whenever they want. Except for their outrageous hair colour.” He sighed. “Which any semi-competent hairdresser could fix. And, finally, we cannot detect their portal or any of the . . . ponies . . . that we know are guarding it with any of our surveillance tools.”

He paused and looked around the room.

“The good news is, the portal appears to only allow one person at a time through it, so no serious invasion force is possible. Their apparent military capability is still bows and arrows — they claim they’ve been at peace for a thousand years. They want to establish friendly relations. They have on deposit at the Barclays Bank a little over one million pounds in gold ingots and another twelve million in gems. That is after their expenditures for the properties, which total around five million pounds according to the conveyance deed reports on file. However, Inland Revenue reports that over eight million pounds actually changed hands.” He chuckled, shaking his head. “They used very clever, and legal, manoeuvring to avoid inflating the property values while still paying above market prices for the properties to induce the homeowners to sell quickly. They scrupulously followed reporting laws and rules. A clever solicitor, indeed.” He paused a second.

“They claim their medicine is far in advance of ours and that they have cures for cancer and can regrow lost limbs — solutions they are willing to share. They similarly claim to have complete weather control. And, we know the general area of the portal to within about a meter.

“And they want to establish an embassy so that we can begin to exchange technology and trade.”

John Major stared at the Home Secretary. “Bows and arrows, regrow lost limbs, and complete control of the weather?” He looked down at the file. “I think I would give up nuclear weapons for those last two items.”

“Of course, Prime Minister, we can’t prove any of those claims, this is all what they have told us. All we can say for sure is that the ponies Agent Carroll saw when he went through the portal were all carrying either spears or crossbows. For all we know, it could be rubbish.”

Major nodded. “On the other hand,” he said. “They could have stayed hidden for who knows how long before someone noticed.” He looked up. “And you say they came to us?”

“Yes, Prime Minister. Apparently, a bobby in Little Whining noticed something off about the sudden increase in vacancies in the neighbourhood and brought it to Detective Inspector Searle.” He indicated Castor. “On Friday afternoon, D.I. Searle dropped by the Wisteria Estate for a look. He noticed one house still seemed to be occupied. He went up and introduced himself, and explained that the police would be regularly patrolling to limit vandalism.

“D.I. Searle returned to the estate later that day and took a drive through. The person he had met that afternoon flagged him down and suggested he come back for tea on Saturday, at ten, to meet someone important.

“He contacted Colonel Thiessen, retired, that night. They initially thought they were dealing with a rogue iron-curtain big-wig fleeing the situation over there and asking for asylum, or some such nonsense.

“When he met the aliens yesterday at ten, they all looked like normal people except for the outrageous hair colours. The purple one in the first photo was introduced as Princess Twilight Sparkle, and then they introduced a Prince Blue Blood, who later claimed to be their Royally appointed Ambassador to England. They explained that their solicitor had already tried to contact the Foreign Office about presenting ambassadorial papers and been rebuffed. They were mulling over whether or not to just appear in front of Buckingham Palace as ponies and ask to speak to the Queen.”

They all shuddered. The media would have gone ballistic! Castor could just see the headlines: Aliens Arrive! Or, Take Me To Your Leader! Or possibly even, PLUSHIE PONIES INVADE!” With the appropriate pictures.

The Foreign Secretary, Hurd, interrupted. “I think we can all see just how much of a circus that would have turned into.”

“However,” Baker continued, “Thank God, Detective Inspector Searle’s appearance at their door suggested a possible alternative, hence the invitation.

“With the ponies ‘unveiling’ themselves and asking D.I. Searle for help, he called the Colonel, who contacted some of his associates still in the government. He brought these two agents, Lewis Carroll and Charles Dodgson,” he pointed them out, “and an agency photographer, John Tenniel to the meeting. They took pictures and saw the evidence themselves. Including taking a look at another world. And that gets us to now.”

Major sat and thought for a moment. He shuffled through the photos one more time.

“What are our options?” He looked at the Home Secretary.

Baker waggled his head side-to-side. “Well, they own the property around the portal through a completely legal company, Royal Equestrian Properties, Limited, set up by their solicitor. So, any actions we might take to negate that would receive stiff resistance in Parliament, especially regarding a group not on any terrorist list, regardless of where they came from. The same goes for simply seizing the land as a matter of National Security.

“We could do it. And make either one stick. I doubt they’d be able to stop us, but I’m not sure that alienating these . . . ,” he paused and sighed, “aliens would be a wise move. Especially when we can’t show any reason why we should be so hostile. And the Opposition in Parliament would have a field day with our ‘unprovoked belligerence towards a potentially very powerful ally.’

“And it would really throw a spanner in the works if we did seize the portal area on the grounds they didn’t come straight to us when they first got here, and then their solicitor was able to show that they had tried to tell us and nobody believed them.” He shook his head. “I don’t see how we could come out of this without looking like flipping idiots if we do anything that might remotely be considered as hostile by the public.”

“And let’s not forget that the other nations in the world might take exception to us seizing the portal for ourselves,” put in the Foreign Secretary dryly. “It might be better to leave it in the hands of these . . . Equestrians? . . . .” He looked at the M.I.6 agent to his left for confirmation, and received a nod in return. “And if people found out that we had chased away aliens who had a cure for cancer and could regrow lost limbs? For no reason except a vague cry of ‘National Security,’ because they scare us? All of us would be sacked in a week.” He paused. “We’d be lucky if they didn’t borrow guillotines from the French.”

“We could object on the grounds that the section containing the portal is farmland in Green Space,” continued Baker, “but that would merely preclude the building of any sort of enclosure around the portal. They would still legally own the land. And forcing that issue would leave the portal where anyone could easily access it.

“Unless we put a military cordon around it, which people would see as us seizing the portal.”

He looked at the Prime Minister. “I think we have to grant them their embassy on that land, and allow them to enclose it in a wall of some kind, at least, just to prevent . . . mischief on the part of some of our citizens.”

“And let us not forget,” said Hurd, “that this sets a precedent on future alien contacts, and how people will expect us to react.” He looked around the table. “Now that we know such things are possible, our scientists are going to go full-bore into making a portal. And if we do, and we go to another world, and they immediately attack us? How hypocritical would it be of us to then complain about it when we did the exact same thing! Not to mention that if we demand full access to the Equestrian portal, then any world we access with a portal of our own will make similar demands of us. And again, how can we refuse, when we did the same bloody thing?”

There was a moment of silence, then Field Marshal Sir John Chapple spoke up. “There’s something else to consider in this. They look like cute, adorable plush toys that would make any little girl squeal with joy. However, it has been my experience that the most brightly coloured animals in the jungle are frequently the most lethal — either venomous, toxic, or just plain deadly. They are herbivories, they are prey animals, they even admit that they are not predators. And that they understand the distinction suggests there are predators in their world. Yet, here they are in neon-bright colours you should be able to see from orbit.

“If their world is anything like ours — and the park in those pictures wouldn’t be out of place in London, which suggest that it is — such brightly-coloured prey should have been wiped out in favour of their dull-coated brethren that blend in with the terrain. That they are, instead, the largest and most powerful country on their world, and none challenge them? Well, that worries me. What do they have, that we know nothing about, that lets them thrive in this manner?

“And we only have their word that they found this portal by accident. Now that they know it exists and where it goes, who is to say that they can’t create a second one somewhere else? If we were in their position and someone seized the other end of our portal, wouldn’t we just set about making another, and make arrangements with someone else more hospitable? And tell the first portal’s owners to go piss up a rope — and then close it?” He shook his head.

Hesitantly, Castor cleared his throat. “Actually,” he said, “This is their third portal. This one, Princess Sparkle said, was found by accident — they don’t know how or when it was created. However they have another that was purposely made about a thousand years ago by someone named Starswirl the Bearded, but it opens for use only once every thirty months, and then only for three days. They don’t use it because there’s a time differential between the worlds. Time in this other world runs slower. That is, for every four years that pass in the pony world, one passes in this other world. Which makes it difficult to use the portal in any practical manner.”

“Starswirl made a second portal which led to a second world. The Princess told me that the ponies had such a bad experience there that it put them off on the portals for almost a thousand years. The ponies literally put them in a dungeon room and locked them away! The discovery of this third portal, found entirely by accident, had them decide to try once more.”

They stared at him incredulously. The information was, no doubt, somewhere in the debriefing papers, but it hadn’t been highlighted as anything of particular importance.

“So, they can make additional portals, should they so desire,” The Field Marshal continued. He looked up at the Prime Minister. “We should give them their embassy and ensure that none of our enemies, or friends, ever manage to convince them to move it. Or for them to open a second Embassy anywhere else. At the same time, we should do everything we can to ensure they don’t take us by surprise. Offer them all the assistance they want just so we can keep a close eye on them.”

There was silence as they considered his points.

The Director General of M.I. 5 said, “And discreetly move military units into position around Little Whinging — in case things go pear-shaped — as well as beefing up police units in Surrey so we’re prepared when the newspapers find out and people start swarming around the area. Blackbushe Airport is less than ten kilometres away, we could put an air unit there without trouble, response time would be about five minutes. There are a few other nearby former RAF bases in civie hands that we could shoe-horn a unit or two into, as well.

“And we’ll start vetting the local’s about a Top Secret facility being built in Little Whinging. Maybe encourage them to look the other way if they notice anything a bit cock-eyed. Or, better yet, give us a ring and make sure we know what’s what. We might see about acquiring a bit of land in the area, ourselves, as well.”

The Director General of M.I. 6 added, “I’ll warn our agents in the field and in the Embassies to be on the watch for any mentions of ‘aliens’ being in England from their contacts. And to deflect any inquiries on the matter. Perhaps play up that the conservatives are worried about immigrants. That sort of thing.”

The discussions continued until well past dawn.

۸- ̰ -۸

PreviousChapters Next