• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,552 Views, 21,317 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,317
 30,552

PreviousChapters Next
68 — Obstacles

Dumbledore managed to conceal his surprise. He stroked his beard, thinking. This would be an unparalleled opportunity to meet the Atlantean experts for an extended time. It wouldn’t involve the Ministry, which eliminated an entire realm of problems, and allowed the enchantments to be upgraded without taking significant amounts of time away from his other research.

“That is a most generous offer, Your Highness,” he said nodding. “When might we expect them?”

She worried her lower lip with her teeth for a moment. “I’ll have to get Princesses Celestia and Luna to okay everything and agree on whom to send.” She paused, thinking. “Possibly by Monday?”

He nodded. “Excellent, that will give us time to prepare rooms and an explanation for the students.”

“And tell the students that you are going to be searching the school for those ‘Dark’ artefacts and that any found will be confiscated,” she added.

He stroked his beard for a moment. “Yes, that is most definitely an excellent suggestion.” He smiled happily.

“It has been a most enlightening day, Princess Sparkle. I thank you again for your assistance in capturing the basilisk, and,” he looked down at the drawer in his desk, “for finding Rowena Ravenclaw’s Lost Diadem.” He smiled gratefully as she nodded. “Was there anything else you wanted to discuss before we all start on other tasks?”

She blinked and frowned. A scroll flew up from her briefcase and she started running down the list it contained. “hmm, check, check, check,” she mumbled, her quill making the appropriate marks on her scroll.

Prince Shining Armor just smirked, and said, “That’s my sis,” while shaking his head ruefully.

Miss Rarity sighed, Applejack rolled her eyes, and Pinkie Pie just giggled and finished putting the last layer of frosting on a cake that was sitting on one of the tables by the couch. Rainbow Dash, still in her pegasus form, was once more floating near the ceiling and looking out the window. This time she was flying on her back in a position reminiscent of a cat on a bed hanging its head off the side. A clearly impossible feat. He shook his head at the sight.

She had made it almost to the end as they silently watched when she suddenly stopped. She gritted her teeth, but then continued. Finally she stopped and looked up. “Almost everything scheduled for the day is done.” Oddly, she did not look happy about that. The quill was making additional notes on the paper.

“Yes?” he said inquiringly, lifting an eyebrow.

“Show me where the Cerberus is so I can check the charms. And tell me what he is guarding.”

Dumbledore sighed. He had hoped she had forgotten that particular item from yesterday. He looked at the three professors, all of whom looked ready to object, and shook his head slightly. They stayed silent. He stood, pushing his chair back. “Then we should be off. Fortunately, it is not far from here.” He ushered the group down the stairs.

“A good friend of mine, Nicholas Flamel . . . ,” he started as he led them to the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side.

۸-~

Spike answered the knock at the Castle door. A unicorn mare was standing there. She had a light-blue coat and two-tone purple mane and tail.

“Hi! How can I help you?”

Hesitantly, she asked, “Is Princess Twilight Sparkle in?”

“Nope. She’s off doing something important.”

The mare looked crestfallen. “Oh. I was hoping she could tell me something about the portal in the Everfree.” She worried her lower lip a moment. “I was just over there, and the guard said they were hiring.” She looked down at the dragon and frowned. “I wanted to find out a bit more before I applied — I’m new in town, you see, and I need a job.”

“Pshaw,” he said, waving a claw, “I can answer your questions.” He puffed out his chest a bit, “I’ve even went through the portal with Twilight the first time!”

“Really?” she said, surprised. “You must be very brave to explore a world through a portal.” She looked at him in awe.

He blushed. “I suppose I was,” he said. “Well, come on in, and I’ll tell you all about it.”

“Are you sure that’s alright?” She glanced at the two guards, one on either side of the castle door.

He waved a claw again, “It’s fine, Twi said they’re gonna need a bunch of ponies for the embassy, so it’s not like it won’t be big news when the word gets out.”

She walked into the entry-way as he shut the door.

They went into the kitchen where he fixed them tea. Then he spent the next several hours regaling her with his adventures on the other side. She was especially interested in the wizards and witches he had seen. And how the ponies had paid for everything.

۸-_-۸

The Gryffindors next stop was Scrivenshafts. While it wasn’t nearly as interesting as the other two stores, it did have some really ace items: the Self-Inking quill that did any colour you wanted; Ink-Be-Gone Erasers (“Sucks up ink-spills, splotches, and mistakes, but leaves what you want!”) — Harry knew that was one he was going to buy; Never-Ending scrolls (“Tap your wand to cut-off the length you want!”) — another useful item; Self-Spelling Quills (“Never misspell a word again!”); Self-Writing Quills (“Just tell it the subject!”); Smart-Answer Quills (“Just like the Self-Writing Quill, but smarter!”); Grammar-Checking Quills (“Says what you mean without errors!”); Ultimate Quills (that did what all the others did); Sugar Quills (“Snack while you write!”); Scroll Storage Boxes; and much, much more.

Still, it didn’t take all that long for the Gryffindor cohort to finish perusing the selections on hand. Although they did have to drag Hermione out, protesting she wasn’t done yet.

“Well,” George said — Harry had decided that he would just start calling the first one to speak George — “There’s only one place left to see.”

“Not that we’ll spend any time there really,” said Fred.

“But you should all meet the proprietor,”

“It’s only proper.”

The twins leading, and Percy following to make sure they didn’t lose any stragglers, they set off for the next destination, The Three Broomsticks. This time, late afternoon, the lines were gone.

“Rosy, my love,” called out George as they filed inside.

Truth be told, Harry was starting to get tired. Except for lunch, they had spent the entire day on their feet. It was with great relief that the Gryffindors settled themselves into sparkling, clean chairs around sparkling, clean tables.

The witch sauntered over, eyes sparkling and a genuine smile on her face. Harry wondered how she managed that. She had to have been running non-stop all day, just like the other shopkeepers! And most of them were starting to look a bit ragged around the edges.

“We’ll have seventeen butterbeers please,” Fred said.

It was a lot like the Leaky Cauldron, only bigger, cleaner, nicer, better lit, rather welcoming . . . . On second thought, Harry decided, it was like the Leaky Cauldron only in that it had four walls, a roof, and served alcohol and lunches.

On the other hoof, “There’s a reason for the Leaky Cauldron to look like that,” Mr. Weasley had earnestly told them last month.

“It’s the muggles, don’t you see? The ones with only a bit of magic, right? They can see the pub, but having them wander into Diagon Alley would cause a ruckus. So, instead, they see a dirty, dingy pub. Puts them right off, it does, and they aren’t inclined to go in. If they do go in, it looks like something they don’t want, and they leave.” He gave a smile. “And if they’ve already had a bit too much when they come in and want to stay, Tom gives them a subtle hint with his wand, and off they go.

“It’s all a part of keeping ourselves secret, right?”

They had duly nodded in understanding.

But that made The Three Broomsticks all that more interesting to look at. It had a high ceiling, with two staircases, one at either end at the back. Each went up to a wide balcony on that side’s wall that had tables overlooking the main floor. There was a connecting balcony, with tables, over the bar. The staircases also each had a corridor leading away from them farther into the building. “There’s meeting rooms and apartments down those,” George had explained.

“Over the kitchen and storage rooms. Right nice I hear,” added Fred.

“Toilets are under the stairs.”

“Wizards on the left,” Fred pointed.

“And witches on the right,” George pointed.

Their arms crossed each other.

The next half-hour was spent in idle conversation and sipping their drinks while watching Rosemerta bounce around the room filling orders and talking to her customers. Well, watching the buxom Rosemerta was what Percy and the twins did. Harry and his friends spent their time comparing notes on what they had seen and bought. And what they planned to buy from the catalogues they had picked up. And making use of the facilities under the stairs.

۸-_-۸

“Let see if I understand this,” the princess said. “You have the single most valuable artefact in Magical Europe, maybe even in this world, in your possession.”

Dumbledore nodded sagely.

“And you think that a dark wizard, working with a spirit Tom Riddle, is after it?

Dumbledore nodded, again.

“And instead of sealing it away somewhere where it can’t be found or accessed, you are keeping it in this school?” Her voice had risen a bit at the end.

He nodded again, and said, “Hogwarts is the most secure and safest location in all of England, not even Gringotts is as secure.” He smiled.

She shook her head, as if to clear it, and continued, “Behind a bunch of obstacles designed to slow down this dark wizard.”

“That is correct.”

“But not stop him or incapacitate him?”

“Yes, precisely.”

“Because you want to capture him and get him to tell you where this Tom Riddle is?”

He nodded. “Yes, you grasp my strategy perfectly.”

She, and the other Atlanteans, stared at him wide-eyed.

She looked at the other three professors. They just stared back at her.

She closed her eyes.

Dumbledore noticed her lips moving slightly, as if she were counting.

She took a breath and opened her eyes to look at him. “ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR BUCKING MIND?” she yelled. They all winced. She was standing stiffly, hands at her sides, fists clenched, feet about shoulder-width apart, her head slightly inclined in his direction.

He looked at her nonplussed. He noticed that her heretofore nicely coiffed hair had several hairs sticking straight out. Another joined the rest as he watched. And her hair, as a whole, almost seemed to be floating.

But that had to be his imagination.

And her eyes were a bit wider than normal.

“I assure you, Princess Sparkle, that . . . .”

You know what you are doing?” she finished, half-hissing at him.

He stopped, startled.

“Just as you knew the students would not explore this corridor, or what lies behind this door? Just as you knew there was no way to get to the Chamber of Secrets? Just as you knew that I was exaggerating my estimate of the size of the basilisk?”

More hairs popped out of her hairdo.

“Twi?” came the hesitant voice of Applejack. “You might wanna calm down a bit?”

“Just as you knew there were no horrendously dangerous and hate-filled cursed items in the castle?” continued the princess. “Just as you knew it was perfectly safe to put on the cursed tiara?”

“Uh, Twilight,” said Rarity, stepping over and placing her hand on Princess Sparkle’s arm.

“Based solely on your record over the last twenty-four hours, I would say you DON’T know as much as you think you do!”

Dumbledore drew himself up stiffly. “Your Highness . . . .”

“Just on the spur of the moment,” she said in a in a low tone, “what would you do if, while you’re at a Wizengamot meeting, your dark wizard were to imperius a few students into walking into that room with the cerberus. And then, while he’s occupied with eating them, sneaking past into the next obstacle with a few others? It’s what Queen Chrysalis or King Sombra would have done.”

The other Atlanteans looked a little sick at the thought, but they all nodded.

“Would you even know he had entered this room? I think not, or you already would have known just how many students had taken a look at the cerberus!”

“He would never do that. It would prematurely reveal his presence to the public and the Ministry,” Dumbledore replied carefully. “It would be solid evidence, and the Ministry would begin to fight back, to counter his plans before he could connect with his former supporters.”

“Oh?” she said. “You have that in writing on a contract, I take it?” she said sarcastically. “I’m sure, that with only one-sixteenth of a soul, he is just as sane and calm as any other wizard or witch. Whom, I now suspect, have the self-control and common sense of a suicidal lemming!” She rolled her eyes.

“And once past your cerberus, he would work his way through to this artefact, wasting the lives of your students along the way. Why would he care if it took ten, twenty, thirty, or forty lives for him to get to this artefact? Especially if they’re all muggle-born or half-bloods. In the past, he had no problems with his Death Eaters slaughtering those children and their parents for entertainment!

“King Sombra spent tens of thousands of lives creating and keeping his empire, Queen Chrysalis spent the lives of thousands of her changelings, her own children, trying to get what she wanted. Why should your Tom Riddle do any different, if this thing is so valuable?”

She stopped and took a deep breath, visibly calming herself. She placed her hand on her chest, then she exhaled, moving her hand away. She took another breath and repeated this several times.

“Right. Let’s do this. Let’s see just how hard it is to get to this thing.” Her features hardened into determination as she turned to face the door.

Dumbledore stared at her, his face a bit heated at her tirade. It had been a long time since anyone had berated him so thoroughly. And, he had to admit, with some justification. She was wrong in her conclusions, but still, there was a bit of truth hidden there.

She flung open the door, not even noticing that it had been locked much more securely than a simple alohomora could open, and stepped inside.

Fluffy stood and started growling.

She transformed into her alicorn form, and three-headed dog started to look confused.

She nodded her head and music started playing in the room, a sweet lullaby of some kind. A lullaby Dumbledore had never heard — “Come little children, . . . ,” he heard her softly sing. Fluffy stared at her for a moment, then sat down. Slowly he settled lower until he was lying down.

The rest of them, the professors and the Atlanteans, watched quietly from the corridor behind the Princess.

Then he lowered his heads until all three were resting on the floor. His eyelids slowly began to droop, with first one head and then the next closing. It took less than five minutes before all three heads were snoring.

The princess strode inside confidently. Her magic reached out to lift the sleeping dog and gently moved him to the back of the chamber. A blue shimmer seemed to come between them and the cerberus.

“There,” she said, “That will prevent any noise from reaching him, as well keeping the music playing for the next hour or so.” She turned and looked back at them. “Well, come on.” She quickly strode over to the trap door. She stared down at it and sighed.

They slowly followed behind her. Fluttershy ran over to the Cerberus and began cooing at him and gently petting his heads.

“You didn’t even hide the trapdoor!” she said accusingly. “At least you put a magical lock on that door,” she pointed back at the corridor with a hoof, “That will not open to a simple alohomora. However, I’d have the trapdoor move to a random location on far half of the room each time someone opened the door to come in. Then I would block the walls, floor, and ceiling with a spell so that somepony like King Sombra, Queen Chrysalis, or myself couldn’t just sink through the floor like this.” Which she proceeded to do.

Dumbledore exchanged surprised looks with Severus. Minerva said, “She actually walked through the wall of the witches’ toilets on the second floor to find the pipes that led to the basilisk.” Filius nodded.

A moment later, the princess was back, flapping her wings. “Ugh,” she said. “That’s awkward.” She looked back at Dumbledore. “Of course, my trapdoor would be a fake and lead to a trap from which he cannot escape. I’d make it a spirit trap, too, just to be safe.

“The real trapdoor I would place on the ceiling, which would certainly slow down most wizards.” She glared at Dumbledore, and then looked down at the trapdoor, “Well, at least this has an alert spell on it,” she said drily.

He nodded.

She opened the trapdoor and jumped down. A moment later, a bright light shone from the open door. Her voice drifted up, “Okay, just jump down, I’ll catch you.”

Dash just grinned and dove, tucking her wings close as she passed through the trapdoor. The others started jumping in. Fluttershy was the last to make the trip, gently settling beside the princess as the rest stared at the small tangle of vines slowly creeping their way closer.

The purple alicorn stared at him, puzzled.

“Pomona’s idea. It’s Devil’s Snare, it would entangle and trap anyone who jumped into it,” Dumbledore explained. “It fears fire. In another month it will fill this chamber.”

She sighed. “And the first thing any wizard or witch would do in the dark is to LIGHT THEIR WAND! And then a fire when they see a plant trying to capture them. Which effectively means this is no obstacle to a wizard or witch.” She shook her head sadly as they moved out of the room and into a short corridor. “I would have placed light-and-heat-loving vines and made him crawl around in the dark looking for the doorway out while trying to evade the vines. And that door I would place partway to the ceiling. And put up an anti-flying charm.”

The next room they encountered had what they at first thought were birds, but Dash’s keen eyesight quickly corrected that impression — those were keys with wings flying around in it. Hundreds of keys, flitting back and forth, swooping down and shooting up, swirling around in a great flock of glittering metal.

“Filius’ contribution,” the Headmaster said quietly. “You must catch the key to open the door.”

She sighed again, and walked across the room to the door, stopped a moment, then walked through the door.

Dumbledore winced as she opened the door from the other side. They followed her across, with Dash detouring into chasing the keys for a moment.

“Come on Dash,” said Applejack, “Or you’ll get left behind.”

Dash squawked and dove through the door as Applejack was closing it, a mass of keys chasing her. The two tumbled into Pinkie Pie who was trailing the others as the keys thudded into the door behind them. A short argument erupted over whose fault it was that they ended up in a pile. Pinkie Pie just giggled throughout it.

The chess set caught their attention, next.

“And this is Minerva’s work. A rather excellent set of transfigurations.”

“Oh, neat!” cried Pinkie Pie and charged out onto the board and started climbing the pieces. They started moving the moment she touched them. The knights’ horses began to hoof at the squares they stood upon, the kings and queens turned as if to look at them, as did the bishops.

Rainbow Dash flew over it to the other door and waited for them. They started across the chessboard to join Dash. The chess-pieces ominously began to move towards them, lifting their weapons threateningly. The princess just shook her head, and frowned. A blast of light came from her horn and swept across the board, sweeping across the room and leaving a huddle of limp chessmen slumped along the wall to one side.

Pinkie Pie shook her head beside Dumbledore, “They weren’t nearly as much fun as I thought they would be.”

As the pieces slowly recovered, the group walked into the short passageway to the next room.

“Oh, my word! What is that smell?” asked Rarity holding her hand over her nose. Pinkie Pie was wearing a muggle World War II gas mask, once more in pink camouflage. And looking blandly at the rest of them staring at her.

“It’s a troll,” explained Dumbledore, “provided by Quirinus.”

Twilight didn’t even slow down. A purple bubble shimmered around the troll that had been napping against the wall beside the other door. They dimly heard its roars and thumps as it tried in vain to break out of its temporary prison.

The next room had a table with potion bottles on it.

“Severus came up with this,” Dumbledore said. “Most wizards are terrible at logic puzzles.”

The flames covering the two doors were a bit startling, but, again, the princess didn’t slow down as she once more walked through the wall and around the flames covering the door, demonstrating how useless that particular challenge was. She came back out on the other side of the door a moment later. She walked over to the potion vials and studied the note on the table, then the vials. After a moment, she nodded and pointed. “This one should have the correct potion.” Then she asked hopefully, “Unless you were extremely clever and made all the potions instant-sleeping potions?”

Severus slowly shook his head, and then said, “As you have already demonstrated, you could avoid the puzzle completely.” He took out his wand and pointed it at the far wall. The black flames went out.

They walked straight into the next room — there was no passageway this time.

She turned to the Headmaster. “So, if you were in one of the monthly meetings of the Wizengamot, as Chief Warlock, could you have gotten here before I made it here?” She raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

Dumbledore had to admit it, “No, I’m afraid not. I expected it to take anyone at least an hour, perhaps longer, to make it through all the obstacles.” He looked at the floor. While her walking through walls was completely unexpected, her solutions to the chess game and the troll were blindingly obvious, now. And, she had been correct in her evaluation of Pomona’s Devil’s Snare, an extremely simple trap, one he could now see even a First Year would have figured out without difficulty. Only Filius’ key-room and Severus’ potions puzzle would have taken a knowledgeable, and skilled, wizard any real time to solve.

“Then, I would assume your dark wizard could also do it as fast as I did.” She looked around. “So, where is the artefact? And what is the obstacle? If it’s like the others, it will take only a few moments to bypass it, as well.”

Dumbledore looked around, too. “Alas,” he said, “the artefact is not in here. I . . . .”

“Not here?” Twilight said astonished.

“Yes, I . . . .”

She grinned, suddenly happy. “That’s brilliant!” She started trotting in place. “He goes through all those obstacles, no matter how fast, and there’s no artefact here!” She spun in place. “Yes! Finally!” She started to look earnestly around the room, her forehead furrowed in concentration. “So, where’s the trap?” She gasped. “Is it the room?” She started casting a few spells.

“No,” Princess Sparkle said, after a few moments, puzzled. “The walls in this chamber have no spells to contain anything.” She turned slowly. “Hogwarts’ anti-apparation spells and anti-portkey spells are up. And there’s no floo. So, he can’t escape the room magically. But what’s to prevent him from simply walking back out once he realizes the thing he wants isn’t here?”

Dumbledore shifted uncomfortably. “I haven’t placed the final obstacle, actually.”

“Ah,” she said, still happy. “You’re still working on that.” She nodded, then paused a moment, one hoof in the air, thinking. “As long as he knows it is inaccessible he’ll wait to do anything? Is that what you hope?”

He smiled. “Yes, that is essentially correct. He won’t make a move until he knows the item has been placed behind the final obstacle. To move before then would end in catastrophe, for him.”

She frowned again. “And how will he know that? You can’t exactly take out an ad in the Daily Prophet, now can you?”

۸-~

Author's Note:

Yeah, Dumbledore and the professors really take it on the chin, here. However, their obstacles really are too simplistic. Each and every reader out there can come up with ways to improve the obstacles created by some of the finest minds in Wizarding England. Which means the average muggle is smarter than the smartest wizards.

Or that wizards truly lack common sense. Just consider that if Dumbledore had simply disillusioned the trapdoor, Harry & Co. — and the rest of the school — would never have suspected that there was more to be discovered. As far as they would have been concerned, the three-headed dog was the only item of interest in that room! Or better yet, and what Twi later suggests, is use the age-line spell to mark off the end of the corridor and then no student could even approach the door to Fluffy’s room!

Of course, that destroys the entire plot for the first book, so I guess we’ll just have to say the wizards and witches lack common sense and that all of Twilight’s criticisms are accurate. Even if that does make Dumbledore look like a chump. Because if he were as smart as many of his defenders say, he wouldn’t have allowed those obvious flaws in his plan to exist!

Clearly, Dumbledore never read the “have an eight-year-old child review all my plans” line in the “What I will do if I become an Evil Overlord” list.

And, I’ll get a bunch of down votes for Dumbledore-bashing.

PreviousChapters Next