• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,557 Views, 21,318 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,318
 30,557

PreviousChapters Next
24 — One Speed Only

The string slowly made their way down the Alley, following in Professor McGonagall’s wake. The mares were no less amazed at what they saw than the fillies and colt. The shopfronts were all slightly odd looking, their proportions off just a little from what they expected — the straight sections were ever so slightly crooked and the curved sections seemed to stick out farther than they should. “Ah wonder if Discord visited this place?” Applejack said. “Everything has that ‘not quite normal’ feel to it.”

“Yes, dear,” said Rarity, “It does at that.”

“But not nearly as in-your-face as Discord seems to like,” added Dash.

“Hmm, yes,” Twilight said thoughtfully.

Pinkie, on the other hand was darting back and forth across the Alley. Nothing seemed to escape her attention as she popped up behind barrels and disappeared behind crates. Disappearing on one side of the street and reappearing on the other without apparently crossing the space between. Professor McGonagall occasionally would glance at Twilight, who would just shrug.

After their experience in The Leaky Cauldron, the fillies made sure to surround Harry at all times. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were at his sides, each holding one of his hands, and Scootaloo trailed behind.

Rainbow Dash’s and Pinkie Pie’s strange hair colouring garnered them much attention, especially Dash’s rainbow tresses. The comments Harry could overhear seemed split between delighted surprise at the colours and disgust at such brazen attempts at garnering attention, with many disparaging remarks about muggles.

Harry could see the mares twitching their heads slightly as they heard comments that the speakers clearly didn't expect them to hear. Being Equestrian did give one better hearing, it seemed.

The casual displays of magic were not unusual to the ponies turned human, unlike the Grangers, but the items they saw for sale in the shops certainly were. There were cauldrons, telescopes and strange silver instruments, windows stacked with barrels of bat spleens and eels’ eyes (both of which appalled the ponies), tottering piles of spell books, quills, and rolls of paper, potion bottles, globes of the moon, and lots of other items. Unlike Ponyville and Canterlot, though, both of which were quite expansive, the street and buildings were crowded close, with merchandise stacked outside the shops and reducing walking room even farther.

The commotion of the young boys at the broom shop left them puzzled. What could possibly be exciting about brooms?

They almost lost Twilight when they reached a bookstore by the name of Flourish and Blotts, but quick action by Applejack kept her with them, grabbing her arm and saying “Twilight, you can examine the bookstore later, if not today then another day. First we have to get to the bank.”

“But, books!” Twilight complained as she reluctantly allowed herself to be dragged away, staring longingly at the shop as they left it behind.

Harry noticed that the Granger girl likewise had to be redirected by her parents, although with far less pouting. He saw the girl and Twilight exchange a dismayed look, then both sighed dramatically at the unfairness of life. A human version of Twilight? He chuckled at the thought, then blanched as he considered just what that meant. He edged slightly farther away from her. She was too busy gawking at their surroundings to notice.

The big alabaster building with its odd lines drew their attention the moment they saw it. Applejack muttered, “Discord,” and shook her head. The strange creatures, Goblins, Professor McGonagall called them, standing at the doors caught their interest, as did the warning carved into the marble over their heads. Again, Applejack had to restrain Twilight. “They don’t look that friendly, dear, but I’m sure there are books about them in the bookstore,” she said consolingly as she once again dragged the pouting pony-turned-human away from the objects of her interest.

Professor McGonagall, noticing the Equestrians’ interest in both the carving above the doors and the Goblins to either side, said, “Gringotts is probably the safest place anywhere in England for whatever you hold valuable. The only place safer than Gringotts is, naturally, Hogwarts.” She gave a quick glance to the adults. “There’s no safer place than Hogwarts for your children.” The Equestrian all nodded. That was what they would expect of a school that taught magic. The Grangers, on the other hand, didn’t look nearly as confident.

The expansive, luxurious marble interior was astonishing in comparison to the drab colours and shabby appearances in the rest of the Alley. The lobby wasn’t too crowded this early in the morning, but there were a fair number of wizards at the tellers’ windows, including one giant of wizard who was almost twice as tall and three times as wide as a normal man. Harry wondered what he was up to, as he kept taking furtive nervous glances around the lobby.

Harry looked back at the doors. Yes, he decided, the inside was bigger than the outside. He wondered if such a spell could be applied to smaller things, such as bags. He could imagine Applejack spelling her wagon to carry many times its normal load to save trips — if she could pull it, that is. On the other hand, Big Mac had no difficulty moving their cart as it was. Even if they only increased its capacity by half, it would still be a massive timesaver for them.

Harry had never seen such an impressive building. He noticed, though, that the mares did not seem impressed at all with the building. Not surprising, consider how often they visited Canterlot. The mares found the Goblins hurrying around much more intriguing. Fluttershy, however, seemed to be cowering behind Dash. The many swords and knives the Goblins wore apparently intimidated her.

Harry was relieved to see several Goblins working at assessing or counting jewels. Maybe the few they had dug up might give them a bit of spending money of their own. Buying ice cream or other treats when they wanted instead of having to beg their relatives for a few bits would be soo nice. With any luck what they had dug up yesterday would last them the year.

The professor led them to an unoccupied teller’s window, the same one the really big wizard had just left, heading off to the rear of the bank and following a Goblin.

The Goblin at the window wasn’t idle, but writing in something. “Yes,” he growled as she stopped in front of him. His countertop was well above Harry’s and the fillies’ line of sight. Even standing back from the teller’s window still only let them see the Goblin’s face.

“Mr. Granger, here,” she indicated the man, “would like to exchange pounds for galleons.” She turned to the muggles and said, “We’ll meet you at the front doors when everyone else is finished.” She then led the others to a new window, where she received the same surly greeting.

“These witches would like to exchange gold and jewels for galleons.” She indicated the mares. The Goblin gave them a long searching look, lingering on their hair colours, especially Rainbow Dash’s.

“And here is Mr. Potter’s key to his vault,” she continued. The Goblin took the key. He examined it closely, and even went so far as to lick it.

“I will conduct Mr. Potter down to his vault so that he may withdraw sufficient funds for the coming school year,” she explained to the group.

Twilight and the other mares exchanged uncertain looks, as did the three fillies. They clearly had reservations about letting Harry away from their sight. Finally, Rainbow Dash said, “I’ll go with him, too.” A relieved looking Twilight nodded her head thankfully.

Meanwhile, Harry could see the fillies wanted to go with him. But if they did that then they wouldn’t get their gems traded for whatever bits they could get. “I’ll be fine,” he said to them in an undertone, slipping off his rucksack. “You take care of the gems.” He pulled the bag of gems from his rucksack and handed them to Sweetie Belle. He shrugged his rucksack back in place.

“Griphook!” called out the teller.

A Goblin came hurrying up.

“They require access to this vault,” the teller said, tossing the key to the new Goblin.

Griphook snatched the key out of the air and hurried towards the back of the bank. Professor McGonagall followed quickly. With a startled look at each other, Harry and Dash rushed after them. These Goblins did not wait on ceremony, apparently. After walking down a hallway that became a tunnel, they arrived at a triangular cart and three-rail track. The cart had a seat in the front for the Goblin to steer and a larger seat in the back that could fit three.

Harry took the middle seat after Professor McGongall got in, and then Dash followed him. With a lurch, the cart started moving slowly, but rapidly increased speed. Then the cart plunged down a slope. Harry had heard about roller coasters from Dudley, and this one fit his description perfectly.

“YAAAHOOO!” yelled Dash as they shot down the twisting and turning track. Harry soon echoed her enthusiasm. At one point Harry thought he caught a glimpse of a dragon. When they finally rolled to a stopped in front of a large metal door Rainbow Dash and Harry were both laughing and grinning like maniacs. The professor was much more staid, but she still sported a bit of a smile.

“THAT WAS AWESOME!” yelled Dash, thrusting her hands into the air. She suddenly turned to Goblin, “Does it go faster?” she demanded staring at him intently. Her windblown hair gave her the appearance of a mad woman.

Taken aback at her reaction, he grumbled, “One speed only.” He turned away from her, walked to the vault door, and used Harry’s key to open it.

Scowling, Dash shook her head and ran her hands through her hair. Amazingly, her technicolour hair straightened and fell into long waves that once again reached her waist. It didn’t look as carefully brushed and combed as Rarity’s or the other mares’ hair, but it would pass as acceptable. Harry was used to such things from the ponies, so he said nothing. The professor stared, then shook her head.

To say Harry and Dash were surprised at the contents of Harry’s vault would be an understatement. Harry reflected that he and fillies hadn't really needed to go gem hunting, after all. And that it was a good thing his Uncle had never known about this vault.

Harry took off his rucksack. Rarity had made a few alterations to his pony saddlebags by adding a few extra straps and buckles that reshaped the bag to accommodate his human form. When he returned to Equestria all he had to do was rearrange the straps and he had his saddlebags back. He quickly started scooping handfuls of the gold coins into the rucksack, ignoring the others.

Dash had already lost interest and was looking up and down the tracks outside the vault for something interesting.

“Mr. Potter,” the professor called from the entrance. “Do be cautious, those galleons have to last you through all seven years at Hogwarts, and perhaps a year or so afterwards until you are gainfully employed. Don’t take too much.”

Harry stopped, frowned, and then sighed. He dumped the galleons onto the floor. He stood quietly for a moment, thinking. He could move the coins with levitation, he knew, but trying to heft that many was beyond his current abilities. However . . . he smiled. He stared intently at the massive pile of coins. Slowly at first, but then faster and faster, the coins slid, one by one, to the back of the vault and started forming eight piles. At first, Harry moved the coins all the way, but he quickly realized that all he had to do was give each coin a hard push and it would fly the rest of the way. The coins became a blur as they shot from the big stack. After a moment he changed his aim and they started to fly up to hit the back wall and drop back onto their respective piles.

He heard a gong sound in the distance.

Harry was sweating by the time he finished, but there were eight piles of gold coins. He looked back at his professor, proud of his achievement. He couldn’t heft many things at one, but he had stamina! She was clearly surprised at his magical skill. He smirked to himself as he walked to the closest golden pile and started scooping coins into the bag. The pile was almost gone by the time he filled the small backpack — and he could barely lift it. He estimated he had between two hundred and three hundred coins. That should be more than enough, given the average wizard only earned about a hundred galleons a year, according to the Professor.

“How much is in here?” he asked as he turned to the Goblin. Surprisingly, there were now two Goblins standing at the door, hands on their knives. One watched Rainbow Dash outside the vault while the other intently watched the two of them inside.

The Goblin didn’t answer except to scowl as he pointed up with one long finger.

Above the door on the inside was written, “3,000G.”

Harry did the math quickly. Three thousand divided by eight gave him three hundred and seventy-five, divided by twelve was thirty one galleons, which was six thousand two hundred pounds! He couldn’t imagine spending over ten pounds a month, never mind six thousand two hundred, while living at a remote boarding school where all living expenses were covered!

Stupid adults. He rolled his eyes, don’t take too much today, indeed! Seems like only the ponies were smart. Naive, but smart.

Staggering slightly under the weight, he headed for the cart.

The Goblin closed the door behind him, hurried around them to hop into the cart, and then glowered at the slower moving humans. That Dash was already in her seat somewhat spoiled the effect he wanted. The other stood outside their closed vault and watched.

“Let me fix that for you, Mr. Potter,” McGonagall said. She looked at the Goblin. “Do I have permission to cast a featherweight spell on Mr. Potter’s backpack?”

At his nod, she touched her wand to his backpack and mumbled something Harry missed. Instantly, it felt as if his backpack had become empty. He took it off and looked inside. Sure enough, it was packed with gold coins.

Thank you, Professor,” he said relieved that he wouldn’t be lugging that weight all day in the Alley. He also made a mental note to learn that particular spell. Before putting the backpack back on, though, he took out three galleons.

The professor was waiting for him before getting in herself. “Hurry up, Harry,” called Dash, rocking back and forth in the cart and obviously hoping the return trip would be as much fun as the trip down. Grinning as he got in, he held up the three coins. He dropped one into the Goblin’s hand and said, “All three are yours, if the trip back is faster.”

The Goblin grinned evilly as he said, “One speed only.” Professor McGonagall started to look worried. Dash, on the other hand, was grinning widely.

As they slid to stop, Harry, laughing excitedly, handed the Goblin his reward. The Goblin said in a low voice that only Harry could hear, “For certain definitions of one, indeed, the carts have only one speed!”

Harry and Dash were still chuckling as they entered the bank’s main lobby. They looked around and headed for the front doors to meet up with the Grangers and the rest of the string. Neither noticed the almost empty lobby and the tense atmosphere around them, nor the increased number of Goblin soldiers with their hands on their knives and swords while nervous wizards and witches hurried to complete their business. Wizards and witches entering the bank took one look, and turned around to leave.

Harry saw Professor McGonagall looking around and nervously fingering her wand in its holster and wondered why.

Still smiling from the wonderful rollercoaster ride, Harry remembered to ask an important question. “Excuse me, Professor McGonagall, but could I have my vault key, please?”

The professor shook her head and said, “I’m sorry, Mr. Potter, but until you reach your majority, seventeen in the magical world, your key will remain in the hands of your guardian.”

Harry laughed ruefully, “If my Uncle gets hold of that key, the vault will be empty before lunch.”

“Oh, no, Mr. Potter,” said the witch, “I’m referring to your magical guardian, not your muggle guardians.”

Harry frowned. “As far as I know,” he said, “I don’t have a magical guardian.” He looked up at her.

“Ah, well,” she said, “In your case, your magical guardian is Albus Dumbledore. He was appointed by the ministry back when your parents died. He’s responsible for you and your actions while you are in the magical world.”

Harry nodded slowly. “Could I switch to Twilight as my magical guardian?”

“No, I’m afraid not, Mr. Potter,” she said, shaking her head. “While she is a witch, she isn’t part of the British Wizarding community and as such has no legal standing.”

Harry nodded again. Clearly, he needed to get a wizarding solicitor to find out what his options were in this magical world.

Rainbow crossed her arms and started pacing back and forth. “What’s the hold up with the others? I thought everypony else was still in the lobby here.” She rolled her shoulders, “Celestia, I wish I could fly here!” She turned to the Grangers. “Excuse me, do you know where the others went? Was there a problem?”

“Well, I saw them headed for the back of the bank following a Goblin, but I don’t know why,” Mr. Granger said. He nodded to his wife, “We were discussing the charges on changing pounds into galleons, and whether or not having an account here would help.” He frowned. “They don’t have any interest-bearing accounts, and the vaults all have monthly fees.”

Hermione piped up, “I think it was something the girls brought up. It looked like they were finished when Sweetie Belle, I think, handed a bag to the Goblin. He took a look then called over another Goblin.”

Harry said, “Oh. That must have to do with the gems we dug up on Friday.” Dash nodded in understanding but the other adults all looked puzzled.

“But,” Harry asked, “why were our gems different from the ones that Prince Blueblood said Princess Celestia and Princess Luna gave us?” He looked over at the Grangers. “Applejack did give both briefcases to the teller, didn’t she?”

Hermione nodded. The boy noticed Mr. Granger in the background, with raised eyebrows, mouthing ‘Princesses’ to his wife. Oops.

He considered what he knew. The difference must be in the sizes. He knew that the ponies all favoured small gems that could easily be sewn into clothes and added to armour — Rarity’s favourites were barely bigger than grains of rice, although she did have a couple of necklaces and gowns made with bigger gems.

And he remembered how huge the gems had looked in Equestria and how much smaller they appeared here. In fact, now that he thought about it, based on how small his rucksack was and how big his saddlebags were, the size difference was almost double, even if the weight was the same.

What was throwing him off, he realized, was that ponies were quadrupeds while the humans were bipeds. For the same weight, quadrupeds appear much smaller, just as a two-hundred pound dog appears smaller than a two-hundred pound human simply because the animal is not bipedal. Perspective changes everything. A standard rucksack would drag on the ground if tied to a pony’s barrel.

The gems they had collected were all considered too large and gaudy for most ponies — only good for Spike to eat — but maybe the Goblins liked the big gaudy gems?

۸- ̰ -۸

The fillies watched as Applejack hefted the briefcase with the gold onto the teller’s countertop, followed immediately by the other briefcase with its gems.

The Goblin opened the first and took out a gold ingot. He placed it carefully on the scale beside him and placed various weights on it until it balanced, then removed the rest of the ingots, stacking and counting them quickly. When he finished he gave Applejack a speculative look. He was impressed. She had placed a briefcase weighing seventy-five pounds on his counter as if it were no more than a ten-pound weight. “One thousand, one hundred-fifty galleons,” he stated firmly.

Twilight looked surprised, “But there are twelve hundred ingots,” she said.

He shrugged, “Cost of converting muggle gold ingots into galleons.”

Applejack nudged her and nodded.

Reluctantly, Twilight said, “Alright.”

He folded his hands together and leaned forward, looking her intently in the eyes. “Do you wish to open a vault? For a slight monthly fee we offer a wallet that lets you directly access your galleons without having to carry around the heavy coinage or worrying about having sufficient funds while you are shopping. Or being robbed for carrying so much gold at once.”

After considering her options, Twilight nodded.

The Goblin again reached below his counter and pulled up a dragon-hide wallet. All five mares stepped back, noses wrinkling up at the offensive leathery smell. He looked at them curiously. Twilight took a breath and stepped closer. “Is that wallet the only option? Do you have anything that is not . . . someone’s flesh?”

He studied her carefully, noting the looks of revulsion on the other witches faces. “For a small fee we can enchant a wallet made of Acromantula silk,” he sneered.

Relieved, Twilight said, “Yes, please.”

The Goblin pulled out a paper, wrote something on it, folded it in half, wrote some more, and then dropped the paper into a slot in the counter. He quickly refilled the briefcase and, with difficulty, moved it behind his window. He turned back to Twilight and held up a golden key.

“This is the key to your vault, do not lose it. Anyone who has this key has access to your vault.” He placed a knife on the counter top. “Put a drop of your blood on that key.”

Hesitantly, Twilight took the knife. Grimacing, she made a small cut on a finger, then smeared the blood that welled up onto the key. As she handed the knife back to the Goblin, she noticed the cut had already completely healed. Impressed, she asked, “How does that work?” holding up her cut-free finger.

The Goblin ignored her as he put away the knife and then opened the other briefcase. He studied the gems for a moment. He put on a pair of eyeglasses, removed one gem, and examined it closely. “Are these all about this size?” Sneering seemed the normal facial expression for this Goblin. He dug a hand into the briefcase and let some the gems cascade back inside.

Rarity said, “That size is the easiest for us to work with.”

The Goblin grunted. “We will have to assess these and owl you our offer.”

Twilight nodded agreeably.

“Your address?”

“Number Eleven Magnolia Road, Little Whinging, Surrey.”

“A muggle neighbourhood?” he said, the level of sneering increasing markedly.

“Yes.”

“There is a slight charge for delivery to muggle neighbourhoods.”

Twilight frowned, but nodded, nonetheless.

“Wait over there,” the Goblin waved his hand dismissively in the air, “your wallet will be brought out to you.”

The mares turned to leave when Sweetie Belle spoke up, “Excuse me, sir?”

Scowling at the interruption, the Goblin leaned forward to look over the edge of his counter. He said nothing, just stared at the girl, her two friends pressed up beside her.

She held up a small bag and, voice shaking, said, “We’d like to sell these to you.”

The Goblin rolled his eyes, but reached down and rudely snatched the bag from her hand. He sat back and opened the bag, taking a swift look inside. It was clear to the mares that he was ready to dismiss her out-of-hoof, and Rarity stepped closer, getting ready to say a few words in reprimand to his uncouth behaviour regarding a filly. She could handle the ill-mannered Goblin’s attitude towards her, but to treat fillies that way was another story.

Instead, he stared into the bag and then slowly set it down. Carefully, he reached inside and took out a perfectly square red gem with bevelled edges that was double the size of his thumb. He inspected the stone closely with his eyeglasses. He carefully set the stone back into the bag.

“Stoneface,” he called. While he waited for the other Goblin to arrive, he wrote a quick message on paper and dropped it into the same slot as the previous paper. Then he folded his hands and leaned forward again, and simply looked with a blank expression at the three girls as Stoneface arrived.

“Take these customers to Master Facet.” He handed the bag of gems to the Goblin. He pulled out whatever he had had before and went back to work.

“Umm,” Twilight said uncertainly, “Our wallet?”

Without looking up and in a bored tone, but no longer sneering, the teller said, “It will find you.”

Stoneface had already started for the back of the bank and the group had to hurry to catch up.

۸-_-۸


Author's Note:

The official exchange rate in 1991 for Gold bullion was approximately £200 per one troy ounce not £5, which is what J.K. Rowling used as an exchange rate for galleons. Which makes one knut about £0.40, not almost one cent, which is what she wanted to make her math simpler — one galleon is 493 knuts (17 sickles at 29 knuts per) and as close as you can come to five pounds in pennies. That is, one knut is about one penny, at her conversion rate.

PreviousChapters Next