• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,564 Views, 21,320 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,320
 30,564

PreviousChapters Next
80 — Memories

Albus looked across the room at the gathered professors. “It has been a rather quiet week, hasn’t it?” he asked rhetorically.

Minerva frowned as several other professors smiled.

“How are things in general?” he asked.

The professors exchanged looks before Filius started speaking. “The students, all Years, have picked up their pace. The assignments are coming back more detailed and, in many cases, over the assigned length. Even the practicals are going better than normal.” He shook his head ruefully, “That book-walking spell has really improved both comprehension and retention rates.” He sighed. “In my House, I’ve seen the students whip through a reading assignment at an amazing rate, reducing their time by a third or more without losing any details. And with better understanding comes better performance.” He stopped and took a breath. “If the classes continue as they have, the students will have finished the normal year’s coursework sometime in May, maybe April. Even the OWL and NEWT students.” He looked at the Headmaster, smiling. “I think the Ministry will be very surprised at the results from this year’s tests.”

The gathered professors laughed at that thought.

“However, that does mean we need to start thinking now about extra coursework for the late Spring. Although, we could consider a longer hols for the summer. Ending the school year in May would be a nice surprise.”

Dumbledore could just imagine the uproar from the Wizengamot! After a moment’s contemplation, he said “Yes, we should look at all of our options — having students finish the coursework early is most unusual.”

He turned to his Potions Professor, “Another week, another exciting class, correct Severus?”

The Potions Master glared at him as the other professors held back their laughter. Even Quirinus had a look of amusement in his eyes. He had been very dour ever since Albus and the other three professors had dealt with the basilisk.

It was a pleasant change to see him smile, even if it hadn’t lasted very long.

Severus said. “It was Mr. Longbottom’s ineptitude that precipitated the latest mishap.” He scowled at the memory. “I wasted precious class-time today teaching the dunderheads how to cast the bubble-head charm to prevent another calamity like the last two. Only, somehow, Mr. Longbottom created a contact-mist out of a simple dittany cream!” He shook his head.

“Everything it touched it turned purple! And removed the hair from every inch of the students’ bodies.” He waved his hand angrily. “Everything it touched in the room and corridor is purple. Even the glass and crystal potion bottles. I haven’t been able to change them back, yet.”

He sat back in his chair, scowling. “We’re lucky it didn’t turn the whole castle purple!”

Poppy spoke up, “The girls responded well to hair cream, however, and their hair grew-in in the correct colours. I’m hoping the purple colouring on their skin is also transitory, even though it refused to respond to magical treatments.” She paused to collect her thoughts. “It seems to have spread across their entire skin, as even the ones who had correctly cast the bubble-head charm still had their facial skin turn purple and their hair disappear. Nonetheless, it didn’t change the colour of their tongues or the insides of their noses and ears! Or their eyes.” She frowned. “Their nails did turn purple, though.” She sighed. “We’ll just have to wait and see.”

“In the meantime, my Slytherin First Years are all going to be purple!” declared Severus angrily.

“And,” said Minerva, “in spite of being a bright purple, my First Years have been disappearing for hours on end. No one seems to know where they have gone, only that they aren’t where everyone expects them to be. Even the House-elves seem to lose track of them.” She frowned, “When I asked the students where they were, they all said they were exploring the castle, or book-walking.” She glanced at the Headmaster. “I knew about the book-walking. That usually takes place in the Library or the Dorms.”

Albus chuckled. The portraits had told him all about the “purple” students sneaking through the backgrounds when they thought no one was watching. “I’m sure we’ll find that they have been merely watching our visitors while remaining hidden. We did, after all, ask them not to disturb our guests.”

He schooled his expression into one of seriousness. “And on that note, I must say that our guests have nearly completed their inspections of the castle spells. They are thrilled at what they found, and their improvements have been quite interesting to see. They have spent hours talking with the ghosts and the portraits about the castle, and asking their advice in protecting the castle from enemies. And how the castle has been fought over in previous wars.”

Some of their questions were quite enlightening, Albus thought. Especially those of the brilliant Sunburst — who he thought also had quite good taste in robes, too. That particular Equestrian tended to remind him of himself. It was unfortunate, and sad, that his spell casting wasn’t as brilliant as his understanding of magic.

Albus had been especially interested in how they had been so appalled at the thought of people deliberately killing other people. When he had inquired on the subject of changelings, the conversations had quickly devolved to depression among the Equestrians at the loss of life. Several of their friends, they had told him, were still in therapy.

He shook his head and returned to the topic at hand.

“They are actually gushing over what they have learned and how the enchantments interacted. I heard them saying that many of the enchantments would be wonderful additions to their own school. They seemed especially taken with the charms on the Great Hall and the animated armours.”

He sighed. “They did correct some of the charms on the castle. Over the centuries, many things have been deliberately hidden from castle scans. For example, the basilisk’s pipes and tunnels in the walls are now covered in magical scans, as is every hidden passage in the castle.” He chuckled. “There were even a few that I had not known about!” He sighed and stroked his beard. “They added a map to a wall in my office, tied to the castle charms. It has markers for all the portraits, statues, artwork, hidden tunnels and passages, students, professors, and others — even animagi! Ask and any section of Hogwarts can be brought into close detail. Even the Room of Requirement, if it is in use.”

He gave Minerva a sly glance. “And a glance is all that is required to find any student in a broom-closet or where he, or she, shouldn’t be! The information on the closets can be tagged and recalled, if need be, for a period of up to a month.”

“They have also added protective runes to the castle, reinforcing the walls, both interior and exterior. As were detection and revealing runes especially for Changelings.” As expected, the professors all sat up in surprise at that term, many repeating “Changeling!” in tones of alarm.

He waved his hand casually. “No, not the fae, I have been assured. It is, however, a creature that can take on the semblance of another.”

They sat back in their chairs, more than a bit relieved. He paused, thinking how he should explain. “It is somewhat like a metamorphmagus. You should remember Nymphadora Tonks, correct?” He sighed at their hesitant nods.

“However, unlike Miss Tonks, a changeling can imitate any creature it sees, instantly. It is an intelligent creature,” he assured them. “If you were to run into one you would never suspect it wasn’t the person you thought it was portraying, unless it made a mistake in actions or speech.” He nodded at their shocked expressions, and disbelieving one from Severus.

“The interesting thing about changelings is that they are emotivores, the reason for their ability to imitate others.” He shook his head. “They live on love.”

His audience stared at him, none quite believing the story he was telling.

“Princess Sparkle assures me that this is all true. The changelings imitate others to harvest the love others have for the person they are imitating.”

They spent another ten-minutes discussing the changelings before moving on to other business.

۸- ̫ -۸

Top Marks stood just inside the test lab. “Excellent work, Bright Star!” he said to the mare beside him. “Sergeant Rapid Dash was correct to send you to us.” He looked at her carefully, “Not only have you done an exemplary job of keeping the area prepared, you’re excellent at magic, too.”

Bright Star smiled back at him. “Thank you, professor. I never had a chance to attend Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, so you taking so much of your time to teach me what I’ve missed is wonderful!”

“Think nothing of it, my dear,” the yellowish-grey maned stallion said. “Your help on some of the experiments has been more than enough compensation. You’ve been reading those books from the wizards, correct?”

“Yes, sir. They are quite different in their theories for magic than I ever considered.”

“Yes, that is certainly true. They’ve surprised us all. Their use of wands will revolutionize our world! And you’ve helped bring magic to two-thirds of Equestria, today — no longer will only unicorns wield magic.” He stared at the wand on the table and shook his head. “No pony ever thought of using a focus instead of an actual unicorn horn. And it works!”

He returned to looking at her. “And no one here thought to combine a phasing spell and a cutting spell into one spell to embed an item inside another perfectly. Your contribution to wand engineering is to be commended. It reduces construction time and uses less effort overall, for a better result in the end! It looks and feels as if the hair belongs inside the wand. You can feel the magic in it!” he said with eagerness. “I believe even Mr. Ollivander will be pleased with this result!”

Bright Star looked at the floor bashfully.

He smiled at her broadly, “It’s that kind of thinking that moves magical-science forward. I’ll make sure the others know of your breakthrough.” He stared at her a moment longer, then smirked. “I think I’ll have to tell Apple Polish we need a new Assistant Worker in view of your promotion to Lab Technician.”

She gasped and stared at him in shock.

“Because most of the others have taken off to examine Hogwarts,” he frowned briefly at not having been selected for that privilege, “I think that means you’ll have to start out on my team — with testing how a wand’s length and type of wood affects spell casting! And what the optimal ratios are between core size and wood length.”

She continued to stare at him.

He grinned. “Well, we should get started, shouldn’t we?”

She slowly nodded.

“And we’ll have to show this wand to Mr. Ollivander and get his feedback on it, won’t we?”

Eyes wide, she nodded again.

“Well, I’ll let you prepare the testing regimen while I notify the guard of our trip to Diagon Alley for them to schedule it. We’ll take Flash Sentry and Night Sentry with us . . . I think we’ll get them wands, too.”

Stunned, she watched the blue-coated unicorn head out of the room and down the hall.

Then she took a deep breath and stared at the wand, a smile slowly growing as she considered the implications of all ponies wielding magic — and what that would do to cutie marks.

۸- ̬ -۸

Elly looked into the Alley. Unlike the odd moving pictures in her book the shops were all closed. Or, at least, most of them were closed. Naturally. It was night.

From the lights above the darkened shops, the Potages Cauldron shop, Eeylops Owl Emporium, Quality Quidditch Supplies, and others, she assumed they either lived above their shops or rented rooms. And some of the second floor rooms were obviously businesses, as they had signs in or beside their windows.

The Apothecary was open, as were Twilfitt and Tatting’s, Gambol and Japes, and Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment. She slowly walked down the Alley taking in everything carefully — sights, sounds, and smells. She stayed in the shadows as much as possible, without making it look like she was deliberately doing so.

Finally, in one shadowed corner, she transformed into a fake wall of bricks. She mimicked the brick wall behind her and blended in perfectly. Only the original brick mason would ever notice the difference. It would take several days before she was comfortable enough to try to imitate a wizard or witch.

She settled carefully and watched the denizens and stores that made up the Alley, especially a snowy-white building that towered over the other little shops.

Gringotts held her attention for many reasons, most of them in her bag hidden behind her.

Already things were looking up. She could taste the emotions of those around her much easier, now. She felt a tension she hadn’t previously realized being there ease itself. She wouldn’t starve in this new world.

Now she had to figure out how to thrive, as she could never have done on the other side of the portal — the ponies would have made sure of that.

۸- ̫ -۸

Dumbledore did not look forward to the interview later that morning with Rita Skeeter. He had, rather rashly he now thought, given in to her demands for an interview with Harry Potter. Demands disguised as requests, with the hint of much bad press for himself and the school if he refused. He had insisted that either Minerva or himself be present, using the excuse that no child could meet with a non-school adult, alone.

He had mentioned to the Princess that he had promised the reporter an interview, and that he had thought it might be good press for the boy, and his friends, at Hogwarts.

She had, at first, been surprised at his request to interview the wizard. Then she explained to the Headmaster, after a period of contemplation, “While I, and the Princesses, consider him a citizen of our homeland . . . ,”

“Equestria,” Albus had said, interrupting. Princess Sparkle had given him a long look. Then nodded.

“. . . Equestria, the wizards and witches do view him as a saviour. In that situation, it would only be natural that the public would be interested in his life, and his future,” she had finished.

She had also said, “I don’t like the publicity, overall, being focused on a child. However, he is quickly growing up and will need to learn how to handle himself. As also do his friends.” She had smiled and said, “They are almost adults, after all.”

He had wondered at that last statement. “Oh? At what age is one considered an adult?”

She had looked at him a moment, then shrugged. “I know that here you say a child becomes an adult at age seventeen, but we pass the mantle of adulthood at age fifteen.” She smirked at him. “Odd that a child can choose to consider their schooling, here, complete at age fifteen, after they pass their OWLs.” She smiled at his raised eyebrows. “Usually, by that time in my homeland, they are more than prepared to live on their own. Many have families and jobs by then, anyway, and see no need to educate themselves further.”

He had nodded in understanding. Just last century the idea of schooling beyond the OWLs was considered only for the talented few. Hence the law that a wizard or witch must pass their OWLs to continue to have a wand. It had been only in this century that the NEWTs had become standard for a large number of students, and required for Ministry jobs.

“For the few who want more, there are schools, scholarships, apprenticeships, and other avenues to continue their education.” She had finished.

Yes, he could see that.

What he had not foreseen, though, was Miss Bonbon and Miss Heartstrings in his office. And their “request” to be present during said interview.

They sat quietly on the couch in his office and watched the old wizard as he thought.

Princess Sparkle had said that if there were any issues with Harry and the three witches, and she was unavailable, that someone else would be her contact person. He just hadn’t expected said person — two of them, actually — to want to be on site at the school.

On the other hand, the experiences over the past week with the Atlantean professors examining the castle’s spells had been very enlightening. Their universal lack of familiarity with wands had interesting implications to their approach to magic. They were very impressed with how the spells cast by wand were so adaptable to any wand user, while at the same time showing a power and intuitive understanding of their own magic that left the Hogwarts’ professors amazed.

They were powerful, but not very imaginative, it seemed.

Where a wand user had to consciously think about what they wanted, frequently the Atlanteans didn’t even realize they were using their magic to do something until someone pointed it out. And then their reaction to the revelation was along the lines of, “well, what would you expect? Of course that was going to happen when I was doing . . . ,” . . . whatever it was the witch or wizard was doing. They certainly had down the ability to do multiple things at the same time with their magic. An ability wand users lacked.

He saw, quite clearly, that while the Atlanteans were very powerful, they seemed to have far fewer spells readily at hand. Conjuration, a relatively simple branch of magic, was almost totally unknown to them, and rarely used. In fact, many books in the Wizarding world seemed to contain things the Atlanteans did not know.

He had even seen Miss High Range and Miss Booster dragging Mr. Sunburst out of the library on more than one occasion. Not pulling along reluctantly, but actually dragging him by his legs as he wailed that he hadn’t finished reading a particular book, his hands pulling at the floor . . . . To which they responded that he had his job to do, he could read the book later, and to quit acting like a foal!

He certainly knew that feeling himself. Of being so involved in learning that life itself was an intrusion that had to be tolerated. But he never would have resisted to the point of being comically pulled from the library.

Dignified did not appear to be a behaviour they believed in.

But having one or two of them here for the long term might tell him even more.

He now understood they really did live in a matriarchal society, with a ratio of almost three-to-one female-to-male — that polygynous marriages were considered normal. Several women courting one man was considered normal. The social dynamic when the five were together was most interesting to watch.

The times he had watched Harry and his three witch friends interact at breakfast seemed to bear that out.

That reality would cause tremendous waves in the English wizarding community — that the witches were more than willing to share. No need to be a “hidden” mistress in that land. In fact, from what he had seen, the concept of a mistress was unknown to them.

He knew that two Princesses — Celestia and Luna, no other names — ruled over their nation, which they called Equestria. He knew that both princesses were over a thousand years old, and extremely powerful. He knew that the two sisters had had a falling out over a thousand years ago and only recently made up.

He knew that Princess Mi Amore Cadenza ruled a second nation called the Crystal Empire with her consort Prince Shining Armor, and that it was a close partner to Equestria. And Prince Armor was Princess Sparkle’s brother.

It reminded him of the Hapsburg dynasty, in a much smaller setting. At least, smaller as far as he knew.

Princess Sparkle had only lately become an alicorn, notably after her brother had married one, and she watched over Ponyville. And he knew that Princess Sparkle was an acknowledged master of magic, the like of which they hadn’t seen for over a thousand years.

There was also the fact that the island of Atlantis apparently had several other nations. Something the ancients had never mentioned — maybe that had happened after the island went into isolation? The nations he had heard mentioned including one of Griffons and another of Dragons — creatures the wizards normally thought of as mere animals. But there, both species were intelligent with their own governments and societies. An intelligence he had learned the day he met Spike.

Or had the various creatures inhabiting Atlantis inspired the ancient Greek legends? If the magical creatures were as diverse as he thought that was a distinct possibility. After all, dragons being intelligent in Atlantis but not elsewhere was somewhat analogous to humans and orangutans. One was clearly a civilized intelligent being and the other an animal of limited understanding.

And, if he wasn’t mistaken, there were other intelligent species, including Deer-folk and cattle! Perhaps that was why they were all offended by the meat dishes in the Great Hall. He had had to reassure them several times that the meat that provided the food came from unintelligent animals.

That the Equestrians didn’t have or know of Goblins had been most interesting.

And then there was the point that in Greek mythology the Atlanteans worshipped Poseidon, who, among other things, was the god of horses. That, at least, could explain their fixation on calling people ponies, foals, stallions, and mares. Could Poseidon have been an extremely powerful wizard and the two older princesses his surviving daughters?

Yes, he had learned many things about the Atlanteans over the course of the week. And had many more to discover in the future, he was sure.

And all five visitors had asked if they could return in the future, especially Mr. Sunburst. He had asked several times.

Albus had the impression that particular Atlantean would set up house in the library, if he could.

But having two here permanently? He wasn’t sure if he should allow that.

There were both advantages and disadvantages.

He glanced at the map on the wall to the left of his desk. The Gryffindor wizards’ dorm was still full of little wizards and witches. He had to smile at the crowd in the First Years’ dorm room. The Firsties tended to congregate there every morning, usually around Harry’s bed, before heading off to the Common Room and thence to the Great Hall for breakfast.

One of them, he saw, was as an animagus. The name, at this distance, was too small to read. Not unusual considering how many of them were capable of such changes, especially with so many in the room at once. He didn’t bother asking for a closer look — he didn’t need to know which of them were in four-legged form.

He slowly nodded, coming to a decision. He had more to gain than to lose. “If you’ll keep your interactions with the students to a minimum, and do not interfere with the professors, I think I can allow this.”

They both nodded, looking relieved. “If you do not mind,” Miss Bonbon said, “We would like to audit your Charms and Transfigurations classes.” She smiled eagerly. “We will, of course, only occasionally audit classes with the girls and Harry.” She waved her wand, which he now saw came from a hidden holster on her arm. “We’ve already covered the First Year course book and I think we did very well.”

He nodded. “Yes, I don’t think there will be a problem with that. Perhaps you could show us some of your magical spells, as well.”

Miss Heartstrings smirked. “There really aren’t that many I know, truthfully, but I’d be happy to share them with you.”

With that settled, they spent a few minutes discussing things before Dumbledore said, “Skiffy.”

“Skiffy be here, your Headness.”

He smiled at the energetic house-elf. “Would you please escort these two witches to the guest quarters?” He looked at them. “Do you wish separate accommodations?”

They looked at each other. “Whatever you find convenient,” Miss Bonbon said.

“We share a house back in Ponyville,” added Miss Heartstrings.

The Headmaster nodded. “A two-room suite?” he suggested.

At their nods, he said as much to the house-elf.

“If you could be back here at ten,” he said to the two witches, “You can watch Miss Skeeter in her interview of Harry Potter.”

They smiled and nodded agreement before following the house-elf down the stairs.

Dumbledore stared as the door closed after them. This week, starting Monday, Minerva, Severus, and Filius would be telling each of their First through Third year classes that a Seventh Year would be teaching them two days a week. The assistant would spend one day on theory and the other on practical. That would give them the time to go through the huge amount of things in the Room of Requirement. The House-elves had already set aside three rooms of things that needed closer scrutiny.

He had to smile at the thought. The house-elves were positively ecstatic over the additional workload. Several portraits had already told him about how some house-elves were even bragging about how little sleep they had had the previous night because they were so busy cleaning the Chamber of Secrets and the Room of Requirement.

However, before Miss Skeeter arrived, he had some memories that needed examining. Tom had been wearing a particular ring his last year in Hogwarts. A ring that reminded him of the Gaunts’ ring from Bob Ogden’s and Morfin’s memories. All three needed reviewing.

And then there were his own memories he wanted to look at — and those regarded both Tom and the Equestrians.

۸- ̰ -۸

PreviousChapters Next