• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,564 Views, 21,320 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,320
 30,564

PreviousChapters Next
78 — It Worked!

Monday, the Headmaster had just settled down to his morning breakfast when his floo flamed green and a head appeared, followed by Princess Sparkles’ voice. “Are you there, Headmaster Dumbledore? May we come through?”

“Of course, Princess Sparkle! You are always welcome here.” The Atlanteans are early, Albus thought, but that shall allow us that much more time to get to know one another.

Twilight stepped through and was followed by five others. The new people were all clumsy in their use of the floo, stumbling and tripping as they came into his office. Fortunately, none of them fell.

It gave him more than enough time to examine the five as they recovered. A white-haired man with blue eyes, a black-haired man with purple eyes, a brown-haired woman with blues eyes, a purple-haired woman with reddish-orange eyes, and a man with red hair that had an orange streak and blue-green eyes.

Once they had all recovered, the princess began to introduce them. “These are Professors Bill Neigh, Swan Song, High Range, Booster, and Sunburst.”

As he stood at their introductions and shook their hands — how odd that they all shook hands, unlike the others he had met — he noticed that, for the first time, the men out-numbered the women. And the last man, Sunburst, was wearing a rather fetching, long, dark-blue coat with a blue-green trim and the same colour five-point stars scattered on it. The other two women and two men wore traditional and rather non-descript robes.

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” he said jovially. “We have rooms for you set aside. Have you had breakfast yet?”

The five had already scattered around his office and had begun examining the various books, trinkets, and portraits. One, he thought it was Swan Song, stared intently at a blank spot on the wall. The portraits, at least those who were awake, stared back in some consternation. The remaining portraits were waking up, and it wasn’t long before they all were paying attention.

“We have already dined,” Princes Sparkle said. “But thank you for the invitation. We don’t want to intrude, so please, finish your breakfast. ” She turned and stared at the others. “I’m sure they can amuse themselves for a few minutes.” She turned back to him and took a deep breath. “Unfortunately, I do have some bad news for you.”

He sat back down as she seated herself on one of his chairs. He took a sip of tea and then a bite of his jammed toast. He raised an eyebrow and tilted his head in invitation for her to explain,

She sighed and looked away for a moment, then turned back to him. “I’m sorry to say that one of our enemies has managed to sneak past our protections and is now in your world,” she said apologetically, sincerity evident in both her tone and body language.

He raised the other eyebrow and took another bite.

She grimaced. “A creature we call a Changeling has snuck into England.” At his startled look, she rushed to add, “Not a changeling as your legends describe. Not a member of the Fae.”

He leaned back, more than a little relieved, and took another sip of his tea. The legends of the fae were native to Ireland, and many scholars believed that they had been two warring tribes of wizards and witches that had been wiped out, or at least driven underground, no pun intended, by the advance of the Romans two thousand years ago.

Today, at least, there were no traces of the ones formerly known as fae.

Except for alarming stories that still circulated regarding the Seelie and Unseelie courts.

She described the events of the previous day. And the Changeling that had managed to sneak past their defences. The others had already been briefed, he saw from their disinterested looks at the displays she placed on his table.

“It lives off of love, you say?” he said, musing. He sat back in his chair, breakfast forgotten. “Like dementors? Which feed off of love and happiness, and leave only fear and despair in their wake?”

She tilted her head, thinking. “No, not like dementors. The changelings can feed passively without harming anyone, or the victim, even noticing it has been done. Although, the Changelings can force the feeding and drain their victim. Doing so leaves behind someone who can no longer feel emotions. Their victims’ souls are left intact, unlike the dementors. And the Changelings can reason as well as you or I. Plus, dementors cannot change their shape. Nor do they share, as the Changelings do, what they get with their fellow dementors. At least, I don’t think dementors do that. The books don’t say.” She frowned unhappily.

“The Changelings’ favourite tactic, apparently, is taking the form of another and fooling that other’s partner into loving them, giving them sustenance. They can only keep the charade up for a night, or maybe a day. The longer they stay with someone, the more liable they are to make a mistake and be caught. So they do not harm their prey. The one they substitute for rarely notices the lost time unless it is remarked upon by their friends. The victim usually thinks they fell asleep, or has only a fuzzy memory of the day as being like any other. And the spouse or friend doesn’t suspect a thing.

“Which means they can return many times to the same victim and never get caught.”

Princess Sparkle sighed and shook her head dejectedly, “The Changelings are very good at imitating others. If one of them were to copy me, you would never detect the deception visually or by the way I sound.”

“Like someone using poly-juice?”

She paused a moment, then said, “Yes, just like poly-juice, except there is nothing to drink, nor any time limit. The only giveaway is if they make a mistake in the personality or knowledge of the one they are imitating.”

She worried her lip, clearly remembering something unpleasant. “They can also put people in pods. The pods make the victims easily manageable and a reliable food source. And, I have to say, safe from physical injuries.” She shivered.

She told him an abbreviated version of what had happened in Canterlot, and what the ponies had learned.

“Fortunately, we have developed runes, and a spell, to detect them.” She retrieved a paper from her briefcase and laid it on his desk. “These will force a changeling back to its form, and stun it for a short time so you can apprehend it.” She gave him a grim smile. “That is one of the new spells we will be placing into the protective charms on Hogwarts.” She glanced at her associates and frowned. “If I can keep them on track,” she half-mumbled.

He sat back and considered what she had said. The changelings were dangerous, no doubt, but they didn’t seem to be any more dangerous than any of the other creatures in the wizarding world — such as the boggarts or doxies. In fact, they were fairly benign, considering her description of them.

It was their attack on the Atlantean capital of Canterlot — an allusion to Camelot? — that was worrying. If they could hide so well, why had they blatantly attacked? They could have infiltrated over several weeks and then taken control with ease and still maintained their cover. Instead they had attacked in a wave of soldiers, intent on simply overwhelming their enemy. It made no sense — unless their queen had gone mad.

He sighed softly. He considered what he should tell the Ministry. Based on Princess Sparkle’s account of the creatures and their abilities, he didn’t think that a single changeling was all that much of a threat. Perhaps a word with his old friend Alastor about a new menace, and the runes to catch it, were in order? And a warning to Amelia. A few words to certain people. Yes, something simple. No need to involve the Ministry, officially.

And the panic that would inevitably ensue.

Then he considered that Alastor would immediately want to establish the runes everywhere, especially at the all of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement offices and the holding cells. And he would make the spell to force a changeling to its native form a must for all the Aurors, with instructions to cast it at anyone the Aurors suspected might not be whom they said they were. Which would draw immediate attention to the ministry and himself. And then the attention would focus on Albus.

When word began to circulate that there was only one changeling, all three of them, the Ministry, Alastor, and himself would come into severe criticism. He couldn’t afford that right now. While the publicity that Rita had focused on Hogwarts was good publicity in that it wasn’t critical, he didn’t want to take a chance that this would detrimentally affect the school.

Especially as the Atlanteans would get dragged into the spotlight. And that meant Harry would get dragged in as well. Which would create friction between them.

Albus could always blame Moody’s paranoia when it came to light that he was the source of the information, but that was a weak argument. He would have to consider carefully just who he revealed this to and how.

Too bad the Death Eaters were not so simply exposed. Although the imperius defence runes from the other day were certainly a good step forward.

Well, he really should show the newcomers their new apartments. And let them get to work. At lunch he would inform everyone that they had arrived.

And give more thought to the differences between dementors and changelings. And why the Atlanteans had a portal instead of using a portkey, floo, or apparating from Equestria to England. To better hide themselves, maybe? Or were there protections against those that only left a portal as a transportation method?

۸-_-۸

Harry was pleasantly surprised when Monday, at breakfast, Oliver told him, “Quidditch practice is three times a week, after classes and before dinner. Today is the first day, then Wednesday, and then Friday. Saturday or Sunday aren’t usually practice days unless it’s the week before a match, then we practiced those days as well. The others practice as well. We have to schedule our practices around each other, and sometimes we can’t use the pitch. Got that?”

Harry nodded and said, “Yeah, I got it.”

Then Oliver left for his first class as they finished their breakfast and then headed for their first class of the week.

History of Magic, their first since the ghost, Binns, had left two weeks ago, was very interesting, Harry thought. The professor’s appearance, alone, captured their attention. The wizard, now that they were closer and in better lighting, wore an extremely shabby set of robes that had been darned in several places. He had several scars on his face and hands and looked a bit world-weary. Though quite young, his light brown hair was flecked with grey.

“I know you haven’t covered this,” he said, “It’s not a Goblin Revolt.” That had garnered a laugh from the students. “In fact, in the entire time that I was a student, it was only mentioned once, in sixth year. That isn’t enough.” He paused to let that sink in. “Get your feathers ready,” he said warningly

“The single most important organization for wizards is the Wizengamot,” he began. The lecture started off with a brief summary of the political climate and then segued into the actual makeup of the Wizengamot. The Wizengamot, it seemed, usually had fifty members, mostly from old wizarding families that were “members in good standing.” Harry found it mildly amusing that, for all of Draco’s posturing, Draco Malfoy’s father was not a member of that body, while both the Potters and the Longbottoms were. The Potters’ family seat was being held in abeyance until he was of age, seventeen in the wizarding world. In fact, several families were, reducing actual membership to forty, at this time.

The process for selecting members was limited to the membership — no general elections — and they currently limited the selection only to established British families of good standing. There would be no muggle-born or half-bloods added to the seating! However, the Minister for Magic had some power over the final selection.

Aside from the Wizengamot members and the Head Warlock, there was a Court Scribe to record the in-session proceedings. The Minister for Magic, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister, and Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement could attend trials and hearings, if they so chose. A British Youth Representative, limited to under seventeen years old, was also usually present. This was considered a prize position for Sixth and Seventh years, who fiercely vied for the political position each time the Wizengamot met. Those who might inherit a family seat were given priority.

Again, half-bloods and muggle-born need not apply. The only caveat to that was if none of the pure-bloods were interested, then half-bloods would be allowed to attend.

Professor Lupin then ran down the different Departments and who their current heads were, with the warning that the information would be on a test later. And the promise of a more detailed explanation in subsequent lectures.

Hermione was thrilled at the information while Harry and the fillies thought it interesting, but somewhat dull. Fortunately, the names and departments they headed were simple lists he handed out. For homework, they were to read the Daily Prophet with a view to how the news was slanted for or against any particular event or decision from the Wizengamot.

۸-_-۸

Unusually, the Headmaster was in the great Hall during lunch.

Unfortunately, Malfoy had returned.

On the other hoof, however, he was uncharacteristically quiet and kept his attention on his meal. The other students, except Crabbe and Goyle, kept their distance and ignored his presence as best as they could.

Partway through lunch, the Headmaster stood and tapped his goblet for the students’ attention. “As your House-heads mentioned, I’m sure, for the next few weeks we have five visitors.” He quickly named them, each standing briefly, “They are evaluating the enchantments present in the castle to see what they can learn. Please do not intrude upon their study. The enchantments are complex and they should not be distracted.” He smiled genially and sat back down.

While Princess Twilight wasn’t in evidence, it was clear the five were her doing. The hair colour of two of them and their overall awkwardness towards eating made that evident to Harry and the fillies. The Headmaster was captivated by their conversations.

Harry thought the new people had something to do with the strict warnings Professor McGonagall had given them yesterday.

“Dark Artefacts are forbidden in Hogwarts, as they have been for the last fifty years,” she had said yesterday evening, “and as your student guidebook clearly states.” She had paused, then said, “Any student who thinks he might have such an item is encouraged to hand it, or them, in to either a House-head or one of the Seventh Year Prefects.” She had glanced over the crowd in the Common Room.

“If the item is not a Ministry proscribed artefact, it will be returned to your parents for safekeeping. Any student with such an artefact after dinner tomorrow will be docked points and assigned a detention. The artefact will be confiscated and destroyed, and the family fined.” She had stopped and had given the gathered students a hard look. “The length of the detention and the points lost will be determined by the danger of the artefact. The more dangerous the artefact or spell cast on it, the more severe the punishment.” She had given them another hard look. “Minimums are a week with Mr. Filch and twenty-five points.”

There had been quite a few puzzled looks among the students at that announcement. And a few worried ones, as well, Harry had noticed. When it became apparent that Professor McGonagall was through, except for a few questions from the senior students, the First Years had just shrugged their shoulders and had gone to bed. After all, none of them had had any dark items.

During the quidditch practice session after classes that afternoon, Hermione and Percy, neither of whom were interested in playing the game at school, handed their Nimbus 2000s to Angelina and Alicia, the Chasers. The reserves took turns handing over their new brooms to the new chaser, Katie Bell.

Oliver stuck with his standard Cleansweep broomstick.

“I don’t need the pure speed offered by the newer broomstick. Agility is more important than raw speed for the position of Keeper,” he insisted.

Ron nodded his agreement at this bit of information.

At dinner, the Headmaster appeared tired, again. Harry suspected it was because he had spent the day in the Chamber of Secrets, exploring it thoroughly. The other professors appeared unsettled by the five new professors seated at the table.

Still, that Monday passed without a disaster was unexpected. It did generate a bit of controversy among the Gryffindors’ though, when Hermione insisted she didn’t have time for being a pony because she wanted to study a new book, instead.

They had all become quite proficient at book-walking by then. There were far fewer ejections from the books as the students had slowly become used to the magical requirements for staying inside. The upper-year students had the least difficulty, the Firsties had the most. Usually an hour at a time was the limit their magic gave them — and usually loss of concentration was at fault for the failures.

Except Hermione and Harry, naturally. Keeping Hermione out of the books was now the problem. And that problem led to another rule being posted on Tuesday morning in the Common Room:

6. While the desire to learn is laudable, students are no longer allowed within a Hogwarts Library book for longer than two hours. Five points deducted for each infraction.
a) Miss Granger is prohibited from remaining inside any of her own personal books for longer than two hours on penalty of her mother’s very stern lecture.
b) Miss Granger is not allowed to use the book-walking spell past lights-out. Five points deduction for each infraction.
c) Miss Granger is also no longer allowed into any Hogwarts Library book without strict supervision by a Professor, or a student two (2) years her senior — the Weasley twins are not considered appropriate supervisors.

Hermione was, of course, mortified that the new rule singled her out. Harry thought she was more upset at not being allowed to book-walk after lights-out, actually.

Hermione gave an entire rant about the new rules on book-walking while they walked downstairs to the Great Hall. She finally stopped as they sat down, and she grumpily propped up a book so she could eat while reading.

Harry noticed that Apple Bloom was depressed — well, in fact, all three fillies were — leading him to ask, “What’s wrong?”

“Ah had a dream I’d never get mah Cutie Mark, again,” she dismally explained.

“Yeah,” Scootaloo said.

“She woke us up, too,” added Sweetie Belle.

“We got to talking about Cutie Marks last night,” Scootaloo added.

“You didn’t help any when you told her all those bad marks she might get,” Sweetie Belle said accusingly.

Scootaloo wriggled in place a moment, “I didn’t mean nothing,” she said defensively.

“Hey, we’re all friends. Just because you don’t get or have a Cutie Mark isn’t going to stop that,” Harry said quietly.

“Yeah!” said Scootaloo excitedly. “We’re herd-mates, there’s no way we’d forget each other!”

Harry threw his arm over her shoulders and hugged her. Sweetie Belle on her other side did the same.

“Besides,” Harry added, “I’ll never get a Cutie Mark. Wizards never do, right Ginny?”

Ginny nodded, her mouth full of food. She swallowed quickly. “My parents never mentioned it. And they’d know, I’m sure,” she said, nodding.

The fillies stared back her. “What about them tattoos Ah heard about?” Apple Bloom asked.

Ginny shrugged as Hermione nodded absentmindedly.

“Entertainment? I don’t really know. Although, I did hear Bill say some of the curse-breakers wore tattoos as protection.”

“Besides,” said Scootaloo, “we still got that list of Cutie Mark possibilities.” She nodded firmly.

Apple Bloom just stared at her for a moment. Then she grinned. “Yeah, it’s about time we started on those. Let’s see the list.”

Sweetie Belle grinned back at her and fished a paper out of her rucksack while the others quickly loaded their plates with food.

Harry sighed and resumed eating.

۸-_-۸

The Gryffindor Firsties stared down the corridor, disappointed. They were blocked off from the room with Fluffy by an invisible barrier that kept them several yards from the door. Harry did not point out the broom-closet he had been hiding in behind them.

“Good thing that barrier wasn’t there last time or Filch would have caught us for sure!” said Sweetie Belle. Those who had been there that night nodded their agreement while the other Gryffindors just sighed. They were unsure of whether the barrier kept them safe or it kept them from seeing something as cool and neat as a Cerberus. Not surprisingly, the lines for that broke along gender, with disappointed wizards and relieved witches.

“Well, now what?” asked Apple Boom.

“I guess that’s a bust,” said Dean, let down at not seeing Fluffy.

“We should leave before Mr. Filch or his cat sees us and gets us into trouble,” said Faye.

Scootaloo was staring, with an odd look on her face, at a nearby painting of a wizard in a drawing room, all dressed in black. The wizard was staring back with an aloof expression of disappointment.

Harry was watching her carefully. He knew that look she had. Even without flexible ears and swishing tail, it meant trouble.

Suddenly, she giggled, pointed her wand at the painting, and invoked Hayscartes Method.

“Hay!” came her voice from the painting, with her standing beside the wizard who was staring at her in disbelief. “It worked!”

It took only moments before they were all in the painting.

“Wow,” said Sweetie Belle, looking around the wizard’s sitting room. The rest spread out looking at the furnishing and walls around them. They could feel the paint strokes on the walls and furniture around them. And while the images were two-dimensional, they felt three dimensional. And that meant they could sit on the couch, even though it looked like a cardboard cut-out angled in the background. Several were bouncing and giggling on the couch.

“I say, what do you think you are doing?” asked the outraged wizard, now pressed over to one side of the room, as the fourteen children were now crowded into his formerly empty room. “You aren’t supposed to be in here! Only paintings are allowed to roam the paintings!”

“Nonsense,” said Hermione righteously, turning to face him. “There are no rules that say a student cannot enter a painting!”

“But no student has ever done so!” declared the wizard.

Scootaloo smirked. “Well, I won’t tell if you won’t.”

The wizard stared at her, perplexed and angry.

“Oh look, the next painting!” came the cry from Sweetie Belle as she darted through the open door hidden by the picture’s frame.

“Let’s see,” “Oh, yeah,” and “There’s another here,” came from several people as they spread out in both directions.

“Stop that this instant,” bellowed the wizard, “Come back here!” He pulled his wand, but, of course, could do nothing as he had no magical core. He frowned heavily as the group quickly spread to other paintings. “I shall have to go get the Headmaster, if you don’t all behave!”

“Hey, Harry,” called Apple Bloom, “Look at this meadow.”

“Wow, this painting goes to the next floor! No more waiting for the stairs to move!”

“I wonder if we can go straight to the dorms?”

Petrificus totalus,” came from another direction and the wizard slowly toppled over.

“Sorry, sir,” said Ginny, “but this is just too perfect for sneaking around without anyone noticing.” She dragged him to a couch. “If you promise not to tell on us, I’ll let you go.” She placed him as best she could on the couch, then cast finite incantatem. He settled back on the couch, as if sitting, and stared at her in indignation. She kept her wand on him.

“I must tell the Headmaster you have been here! It’s my job, and I cannot lie to the Headmaster,” he stated, staring at her wand. “If he asks has anyone been in the corridor I am obligated to reply with the truth!”

She frowned back at him as Harry listened to the conversation. Did all the paintings report to the Headmaster? It gave him an unparalleled system for watching out for mischievous students! And he had to know the truth if there were any disputes in front of a painting. Harry had to wonder if the other students realized they were always being spied upon.

۸-~

Author's Note:

Thanks to Jonny Bench for suggesting Hayscartes on paintings. And Odeinoichus for Rule Number 6.

PreviousChapters Next