• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,624 Views, 21,325 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,325
 30,624

PreviousChapters Next
21 — An Unexpected Visitor

The woman who opened the door was the stereotypical English old lady: a tall, thin woman of between sixty-five and seventy years of age. She had white snowy hair, pale blue eyes, and a pinkish wrinkled face with a welcoming smile.

“Good evening,” the man at the door said, “I am Lin Yueshi, Esquire, a conveyance solicitor. Are you, per chance, Miss Marple?” He smiled as he held out his card.

She narrowed her eyes for a moment. “Why, yes, I am.” She took the card and glanced at it briefly.

“Excellent! I have a client interested in purchasing this property. Might we discuss this?”

She looked him up and down, then glanced at his car parked at the street-side. “I am sorry, but I’m not interested in selling at this point in time.” She started to close her door.

“Excuse me, but there is one more thing,” he said, quietly, “my client is willing to pay you a premium of forty-three thousand pounds.”

She stopped and stared at him. “I am really not interested at the moment.”

“Cash. Immediately.”

She studied him a bit longer, then slowly opened her door wider.

“Thank you for your time,” he said stepping inside.

She backed up. “Would you like some tea?”

“Yes, please.”

“Please make yourself at home,” she said warmly, waving her arm at the sitting-room.

“Thank you,” he said, again, as she bustled off into the kitchen. Sitting, he noticed the pair of knitting needles in placed on the end table with the basket of yarn skeins beside it. A partially completed . . . something . . . was at the end of the needles.

A few minutes later, Miss Marple returned with a tray and tea setting. Once they were settled, the solicitor started. “My client wishes a home beside the playpark,” he nodded his head in that direction, “and wishes to close the sale as quickly as possible. For that reason, I can offer you a premium of forty-three thousand pounds on top of the market price for a house in this neighbourhood — which should be about forty-three thousand pounds — or this house’s assessed value plus ten percent, whichever is higher. The premium will be paid upon signing of the sales contract.” He held out two stapled contracts.

She took them and gave each a quick read.

“The premium is offered on a separate contract to prevent the artificial inflation of housing prices in the neighbourhood,” he explained.

She sat down her tea on the end table, leaned back, and took a breath. “I will need to discuss this with my nephew, Raymond,” she said.

“And a solicitor,” he added, “I would suggest.”

She nodded. “It will probably take me a few days to decide.”

He smiled, “There is one more thing. If you sign the contract tonight, I can increase the premium to eighty-six thousand.”

She stared at him.

He shrugged, “My client wishes to expedite the sale as much as possible.” He paused, then added, “Why don’t you ring up your nephew and lawyer and have them come over? Any fees they might charge as consultants will be added to the sale price.”

“My nephew lives too far to come tonight.” She said, standing up and going over to the phone stand by the stairs.

“If the lawyer can come over, we can consult your nephew by phone, then,” he suggested.

Half an hour later, the solicitor, Henry James, the Third, put down the contracts. “It looks fairly straight forward to me, Miss Marple.” He smiled at the spinster. “And I’ve known Mr. Yueshi for several years, so this is on the up-and-up.”

The grey-haired lady nodded and went back to the phone to consult her nephew.

“Are we agreed, then?” said Henry, a few minutes later, looking at both Miss Marple and Lin. “Market value plus ten percent or forty-three thousand pounds, whichever is greater, and a premium of eighty-six thousand?”

At Miss Marple’s nod, Lin said, “There is one more thing. If you can move out before Sunday evening, taking your personal possessions and leaving non-heirloom furniture, I can increase the premium to one hundred thirty thousand pounds. My client will, of course, provide, at their expense, movers and storage for the things you cannot take with you immediately.”

Another half hour of discussions went by with no conclusions, until Lin said, “There is one more thing. My client will provide twenty thousand pounds for temporary housing until you are situated in your new home. All in cash.”

The other solicitor leaned back and said, “How and when do you intend to deliver the cash?” He arched an eyebrow in query.

“Excuse me,” said Lin, “I’ll be right back.” Two minutes later, he laid a second briefcase on the coffee table. He opened it, removed thirty bundles of fifty-pound notes, and put them in his briefcase. “One hundred fifty thousand in fifty-pound notes. Or, if you prefer,” he said, “I can give you a combination of pounds and check. With Mr. James assistance, I could even establish a trust fund to reduce your tax burden.”

They signed the contracts five minutes later.

“One more thing,” Lin said, handing the other solicitor two final forms. “These are non-disclosure agreements for both of you that you will not discuss anything we have talked about for a period of one year.” He smiled at the still-surprised woman. “You may tell your neighbours that you have been thinking of taking an extended six-month vacation, and your nephew suggested some friends to house-sit for you while you were gone. That explains your storing of personal effects. You could even take a six-month world cruise on the Queen Elizabeth II with the stipend and still have funds for temporary housing when you returned and began your search for a new domicile. You can say your rush is because you were on standby for a room on the QE II and only received confirmation today.”

He smiled. “According to my sources, they have several cabins available at the moment. My client can provide the funds to fly you to the QE II’s next port of call if you would like?”

۸- ̬ -۸

“. . . and today she will spend packing with the help of movers I have contracted. For an extra eight thousand pounds, she was more than willing to vacate today instead of tomorrow. I anticipate the house to be ready for you to move into tomorrow morning, afternoon at the latest.

“I expect the paper work will be completed and filed by Friday, next.

“I’ve retained the services of two interns to assist me in this. Today they will start canvassing the rest of the nearby houses. They are telling everyone they approach that part of the conveyance is a contract of non-disclosure both during and after the sale, for a period of one year. The penalty is the return of the fifty-percent premium and the six-month living stipend we are offering. That will help restrain gossip from inflating property values while we are working.”

“I believe we will be able to purchase most of the houses in the area you requested by the end of the week. The biggest single expenditure will be for the farm that surrounds the playpark, which I hope to close this afternoon.”

Twilight was grinning broadly. “Oh, thank you so much Mr. Yueshi! That’s wonderful news!”

His explanation had taken most of their walk to the portal. He stopped on seeing the tent. A guard stepped from behind a tree. “Princess Twilight Sparkle,” he said, saluting. “Everything is ready.”

Twilight sighed. “You don’t need to salute, I’ve told everyone that before.”

“Yes, your Highness.”

She rolled her eyes. The solicitor, meanwhile, was staring at the other three people he could see, all women, who were similarly saluting. Because he knew where to look, Harry could see two other guards who were almost invisible against the tree barricades on either side of the tent. They were keeping their eyes on the surroundings.

The solicitor turned to Twilight, frowning. First, Prince Blue Blood and now Princess Twilight Sparkle?

He cleared his throat. “Princess?”

Twilight blushed. She looked down at the ground for a moment, embarrassed, before looking up again. “As I told you yesterday, Mr. Yueshi, we aren’t from here. I mean that literally. We are from another world. I am one of four pony princesses in that world. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are co-rulers of Equestria. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza is the ruler of the Crystal Empire.” She looked down at the ground, embarrassed, “I only recently became a princess, just two months ago.” She sighed.

Mr. Yueshi was frowning as he listened. Harry was positive he didn’t believe her.

“Harry Potter,” she nodded at him and the fillies, “Discovered the portal between our worlds when he accidentally fell through it. It took us over a year to find it again. And then it was by another accident. Harry, however,” she glared at him, frowning, “knew exactly where it was and used it many times.”

The solicitor looked at Harry and the fillies, “I think I would have heard about a strange child being found in the forest,” he said dubiously.

Twilight smiled, “Oh, no, Mr. Yueshi, you have it backwards. Harry fell from this world into ours.”

He stared. “Now, I know that’s not right. A child disappearing from Little Whinging would have made the front page of the newspapers. Not to mention constables would have been all over the town. I couldn’t have missed that!” He stared at them disapprovingly.

Harry sighed. “No, you wouldn’t have known at all. My aunt and uncle, the Dursleys, would never have reported me missing. Someone might have found me and returned me to them,” he said bitterly. “It was their fondest hope that someday I would simply disappear. That they could pretend that I had never been there and that they never knew me. They even told me that if a stranger offered me candy and wanted me to accompany him, I should gratefully accept.”

Twilight stepped close and put her arm around Harry, followed by the fillies hugging him.

“Mr. Dursley? He has a son named Dudley, as I recall, not Harry Potter.”

“Yes, he’s tried very hard to keep my existence a secret. They frequently pretended I didn’t live with them. If you were to send the constables to Four Privet Drive and look in the cupboard under the stairs, I imagine you’ll learn all you need to know. Or you could just ask Dudley about Harry Hunting.” Harry started to scowl. “And how much fun it was,” he snarled, turning and looking away.

The solicitor had an unreadable expression, Harry saw from the corners of his eyes.

“That was something else we wanted you to look into, Mr. Yueshi,” Twilight interrupted. “About getting guardianship away from the Dursleys and to somepony more suitable.” She shook her head sadly. The solicitor noticed how the three girls all crowded close to Harry with Scootaloo and Apple Bloom each holding one of his hands in theirs while Sweetie Belle gently rubbed his back.

“But that’s for the future. First, we need to get an embassy established, and for us to do that, we need to prove to you we aren’t pulling a prank. So,” Twilight made a gesture at the tent, “if you’ll follow me?” She started towards the tent. Lin looked at four youngsters for a moment before following Twilight.

“Now,” she said, as one of the Guards, a woman, held open the tent flap, “Harry and the fillies have made this trip many times, that’s why I have them here with us. They are the experts,” she concluded with a narrow-eyed glare at them.

The fillies grinned happily at the praise. Harry wasn’t nearly as pleased, knowing sarcasm when he heard it, and still scowling over his relatives.

She stepped inside and moved to the left to allow the solicitor to come in. It was a large tent and could easily hold several dozen or more people at once. What was astonishing to the solicitor, Harry could see from the way he stared, was that the tent had several trees growing right through its canvas roof — without any signs of flaps or other opening to explain how it had been accomplished.

The tent was empty except for two men standing on either side of the tree at the end of the tent. There was a wooden ramp with a railing starting about six feet from the tree and leading to it.

Harry followed behind the man and moved to step up beside him, as he had rehearsed. The fillies followed. He cleared his throat, facing the man. “It’s completely safe,” he said. “When you step into it there’s a flash of light and you see wood on either side of you, then you’re out of the portal. You’ll stumble at bit — it’s disorientating the first time, much less so later.

“The Guards built a platform and ramp on the other side.” He looked at the solicitor intently. “The other side looks like a park with wooden trails right now — it’s still under construction. It used to be a right thick forest.” He took a deep breath. “The biggest difference you’ll notice is that the colours are all brighter there, more . . . vibrant. Almost cartoonish, in fact. And the sounds are . . . more distinct. And the air. The air is much . . . cleaner. It’s easy to get distracted.

“So, watch your step. The changes might even make you stumble and fall. Don’t worry about falling, there’s special ponies, people, who will catch you. That’s their job right now, helping you adjust as you come through the portal.”

Harry quickly started towards the tree, the fillies staying to the side and watching. He turned around and walked backwards. “Just walk normally. There’s a little sign on the tree.” He jerked his fist over his shoulder his thumb pointing at the tree. “It says ‘Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres.’ That’s where we’re going, the name of the place, that is.” He stopped when he was almost at the tree. He waved the solicitor, now at the foot of the ramp, closer. “Just follow me, it’s perfectly safe, I promise.” He turned and stepped through the portal.

Harry clomped down on all fours and kicked his human sandals to one side. He rapidly ran forward a few steps, to get out of the way. “He’s coming through now,” he called out to the two unicorns standing on the ramp on either side of the portal.

They had debated telling him about turning into a pony, but thought that he might have balked at coming through the portal. This way was more abrupt, but they hoped that knowing that Harry had turned back into a human on the other side would keep him calm. If not, they could simply step back through with Twilight levitating him.

Harry stared, stunned, at what came through the portal. It was the solicitor, Lin Yueshi, Esquire, without a doubt. The shock was . . . he was still a human!

The man towered over them all. The head of the tallest of the unicorn Guards barely reached his waist. The colt’s head barely reached half-way up his thighs, his withers just below the man’s knees. Harry had never considered the height difference, not really. Practising walking on two legs with the fillies hadn’t prepared him for actually seeing a human looming over him.

Lin stared about himself, eyes wide in his own shock. Yes, after seeing Harry disappear into what looked like a solid tree, he had expected to see what Harry had described. What he hadn’t expected was to see a score of miniature technicolour horses arranged around an elevated wooden deck and boardwalk. Not to mention that several of them were flying! And when he looked farther away, he could see dozens more, perhaps even hundreds, of the ponies working on a massive wall, manoeuvring and lifting blocks of stone the size of his office with little trouble.

Harry managed to choke out, “You need to move, Mr. Yueshi, so Twilight and the others can come through.” In a much louder voice he said, “This is Mr. Yueshi, the solicitor that Twilight has hired to help us on the other side.” The Guards moved back as the man took a few hesitant steps forward. Lin had no trouble singling Harry out, he was the only horse wearing the clothes Harry had been wearing on the other side. That the colt was almost lost in them wasn’t much of an impediment to that recognition. And he recognized the voice.

“See? It’s just like I said, isn’t it?” Harry continued. Now that he had started, it seemed harder to stop. “The colours are all brighter, aren’t they? Almost like what you see in cartoons on the telly!” He jumped up onto his hind legs, making him almost as tall as he had been on the other side of the portal. He started walking backwards. “There don’t seem to be as many fine details, though, right?” Harry was rambling and he knew it, but until Twilight or another adult took over, he didn’t want the solicitor frightened by what he saw. “And the air smells so much better doesn’t it?” He had made about three steps before he tangled his legs in his trousers and fell. Fortunately, one of the unicorn Guards saw and caught Harry in his magic.

Watching a glow surround the colt and stop him in the midst of a fall brought Lin to a complete halt.

Not worried about falling, and now held up in the air by a magic, Harry said, “Oh, heh, we didn’t think you would believe us if we told we could do magic.” He rubbed his mane with one hoof. Then kicked his hind legs a few times and managed to get the trousers to fall to the ground. “Well, at least the unicorns can — those are the ponies with the horns. The ones that fly are pegasi.”

Lin nodded slowly.

Behind the solicitor, Harry heard Twilight gasp after she came through the portal. “Oh. My. Celestia! You’re still a person! Harry turned into a pony, but you didn’t! Now why is that? Let me see . . .” A soft purple glow encased the solicitor for a moment, and then vanished as Twilight gasped. “You have no magic!” Lin turned sideways to look at Twilight.

The ponies around them all started and stared at the human. The Guards knew better than to say anything, they just watched carefully.

There were more gasps from behind Yueshi as the others came through the portal.

The unicorn who had caught Harry had lowered him to the wooden boardwalk by then. The colt took a quick look to the left and right. There were a dozen Guards on either side a short distance from the boardwalk, but these Guards had fancier gold armour that was so polished they practically shone. That gave Harry pause. These weren’t just Royal Guards, these were Royal Royal Guards. A horrible suspicion flitted into his mind.

Slowly, he turned his head to look behind himself. Yep. There she was. Seated calmly at a large table to one side of the wooden boardwalk, the railing removed to allow ponies to approach it easily.

Without a thought, he crouched low behind the solicitor’s legs.

Twilight had felt his rapid teleport. She looked down from her study of Lin Yueshi’s non-presence in the magic around them. She frowned at Harry.

She had told him many times that he had remarkably sensitive self-preservation instincts, much more so than any pony she had ever met. Which made it all the more confusing when he seemed to ignore them completely and go off to do something that boarded on suicidal with the other Cutie Mark Crusaders. She sighed and looked around to see what had set off the tetchy colt this time.

“Princess Celestia!” she cried out in surprise. She teleported over to her beloved teacher. “You didn’t tell me you would be here! When did you arrive? If I had known you were here I would have made sure we got here as soon as possible.” She gasped loudly, crouching backwards slightly. “I’ve kept you waiting! Oh, I’m sorry! I’m such a terrible student!” Twilight was well on her way to a full-blown panic, already strands of hair had started to appear poking out of her mane at odd angles.

“Calm yourself, Twilight!” Celestia said kindly, her voice like a melody. “I’ve been enjoying a few minutes of quiet contemplation without any nobles, courtiers, or bureaucrats pestering me. It is rare that I get time to commune with the world outside Canterlot like this. I thank you for the opportunity.” She inclined her head gracefully.

Twilight took a step back, “Thank me?” she said, bewildered. She glanced around the large, restful-looking, park-like clearing with scattered trees. “Oh. I see,” she hesitantly added after a moment, not seeing at all what her mentor meant.

Meanwhile, Lin had noticed both Harry’s movement and Twilight’s reaction. And the magnificent white horse seated (!) at a nearby table, sipping tea from a floating cup. “She’s beautiful,” he murmured.

“That’s Princes Celestia,” Harry said quietly. “She’s the co-ruler of Equestria.”

“I see. And why are you hiding behind me?” he said as he glanced down. The three fillies had walked up and gathered around the two. Their expressions were ones of awe as they stared at their ruler.

“Because she scares the piss out of me,” Harry said bluntly. “She’s a Goddess, with a capital ‘G.’ She’s over two thousand years old and she raises and lowers the sun every day. She once banished her sister to the moon for a thousand years. Literally. No exaggeration.” He crouched lower.

“And you think I can protect you?” Incredulity tinged the solicitor’s tone.

“Nope, but you’re bigger than me. And out of sight, out of mind. If she’s busy looking at you, she’s not looking at me! And she wants to meet you.”

Lin glanced at the fillies. “And your friends?”

“They’re ponies,” Harry said dismissively. “She wouldn’t dream of hurting one of her ponies. I’m not. I’m a pretend pony. I’m a person who masquerades as a pony.”

Applejack sighed behind him, exasperated. “Harry, you know she likes you. She thinks of you as one of her little ponies, just like us. And you know she wouldn’t hurt you.”

Harry glanced up at Applejack. “Not on purpose she wouldn’t.” He shivered. “But if she had to choose between you or me, I think we all know who would lose.”

Applejack sighed. She looked up at the solicitor. “Please excuse Harry. He has a problem with authority figures. His . . . experiences . . . with adults on the other side have left a deep impression. The more influential someone is, the less he trusts them to do the right thing by him.” She sighed again. “And his first meeting with Princess Celestia was rather traumatic, through no ponies fault.”

“And painful,” added Harry.

“That was yer own fault, Harry. Honestly, trying to run through a wall?”

“Two walls,” put in Scootaloo. “Almost made it, too!” she said admiringly.

“She scared me!” Harry said defensively. “Still does.” He shivered and looked back at the Royal.

“Mr. Lin Yueshi, Esquire,” they heard Princess Celestia say, her voice clear across the distance, but she wasn’t speaking much louder than she had been to Twilight. “Would you care to join us for a cup of tea?”

“Address her as Your Highness or Princess Celestia,” Harry said urgently. “Only speak when she expects an answer. Do not interrupt. Pretend you’re having tea with the Queen and there’s a trigger-happy soldier with an M16 pointed at your head standing beside her,” Harry said rapidly as he quickly scooted backwards. He did not say “Good luck” or “It’s been nice knowing you,” although he was thinking it really loudly.

“I-think-I’ll-tell-everypony-on-the-other-side-that-things-are-fine-here-and-that-Princess-Celestia-is-holding-court-Bye.” he said, hurriedly as he backed through the portal. Applejack sighed and just looked at the fillies. They shrugged. Sweetie Belle gathered Harry’s discarded shoes and trousers. “Come on, fillies, let’s see what trouble Harry’s into now.”

Scootaloo giggled and said, “Besides being naked in front of all those mares turned human.”

Sweetie Belle snickered.

Apple Bloom snorted. “He’s probably already at that playpark hiding under a bush.”

“And he’s always telling us not to go through the portal naked!” added Scootaloo as she shook her head.

They disappeared through the portal.

۸- ̰ -۸

PreviousChapters Next