• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,624 Views, 21,324 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,324
 30,624

PreviousChapters Next
7 — She’s Only Interested in My Body

The next morning was a repeat of the previous morning — waking up early and realizing it would be hours before breakfast arrived. And then he realized he had fallen asleep instead of meditating the previous night. After a sigh of resignation, he started again. He was going to learn magic! No matter how boring parts of it might be.

About the fifth time a memory of the Dursleys intruded into his attempt at clearing his mind, he decided to visualize pushing that memory into a box to get it out of the way. If it was in a box, he wouldn’t think about it!

After repeating that dozens of times he heard the door open. Opening his eyes, he saw Nurse Redheart come in with his breakfast. Only after she left and he restarted his meditations did he realize that the memories he had put away really were not coming back. He visualized opening the box and his mind was flooded with all the things he had been trying not to think about.

He wondered if that’s what he needed to do, put all his memories in boxes.

The most persistent memories were the ones with the Dursleys, so he started shoving those into a new box as fast as he could remember them. After a dozen, he had to retrace his steps and break the box into four, one for each Dursley and Aunt Marjorie. School memories started to pop up, but they usually involved Dudley doing his best to isolate Harry. Those became a fifth box. His fears and memories about where he currently was he tentatively placed in a sixth box. The three girls — no they were fillies — went into another box. Theories and concerns about magic became yet another box.

He didn’t realize how much time had passed as he did this until he heard the door open again. This time it was the nurse with his lunch! He had been at this for over four hours. At the same time he felt calmer than he had ever felt before. And his mind felt clearer as well.

Well, if nothing else at least he didn’t have to worry about those unpleasant memories cropping up randomly anymore.

After lunch Doctor Well Heart stopped by and checked his arms . . . forelegs. He seemed quite impressed. After he left, Harry once again lost himself in his memories and organizing them.

This time it was the loud clatter of multiple hooves sliding to halt outside his door that attracted his attention. That and a loud voice bellowing, “NO RUNNING IN THE HALLS!” followed by an equally loud, and higher pitched, voice saying “WE WEREN’T RUNNING, WE WERE HURRYING!” A different voice followed, yelling, “QUIET! THIS IS A HOSPITAL NOT A HOOFBALL FIELD!”

His door slowly opened and, as he had expected, the three fillies walked in.

“Wow,” said Scootaloo, shaking her head, “What a bunch of grouches!”

“Well, they are right, you know,” Sweetie Belle said, “you shouldn’t run in the hospital unless it’s an emergency. And somepony might be trying to sleep.”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes as she said, “Hiya, Harry, how are ya feelin’ today?”

“I’m fine,” he said. “How was school?”

“Boring.” “Okay.” “Diamond Tiara is an idiot.”

They stared at each other for a minute. Scootaloo started fidgeting.

Harry said, “You know, you don’t have to come see me every day after school if you don’t want to.”

“Well,” said Scootaloo, “it is kinda boring when you can’t really do anything except lie there.” She got a calculating look in her eyes. “Although it was fun pulling on those ropes of yours,” she said, eyeing the ropes now and clearly getting ready to jump up on the bed.

“Oh!” said Apple Bloom, “I almost forgot . . . .”

The other two looked at her and echoed her with an “Oh!” and “Oh, yeah!”

“Cheerilee, our teacher, is coming by this afternoon. That’s why we were in a rush to get here, to let ya know she was coming,” Apple Bloom concluded. Scootaloo jumped up on the bed.

“Uh huh!” affirmed Sweetie Belle. “She said she has to evaluate your education so she’ll know what you need to learn.”

Scootaloo walked up to one of the ropes and studied it, the pulley it ran through, and where the ropes were tied to his casts.

“We told her you knew lots of maths and nothin’ about Equestria or the Princesses, but she said she had to check herself,” Apple Bloom finished.

That started Harry thinking about what was going to happen to him after he got out of the hospital. Clearly, the adults figured he would be going to school, which distracted him for a moment as he wondered what kind of school it was. But then he wondered where he was going to stay? Would they put him in an orphanage?

He put those thoughts away. There was nothing he could do about his situation except go with whatever happened.

Changing the subject, he said, “What do you three do when you’re not hanging around the hospital getting yelled at?”

After a series of guilty looks, and Scootaloo having been reminded what had happened the last time they had played with his ropes, they started describing their numerous adventures in seeking cutie marks. They described their attempts at creature catching, chicken herding, chicken rescuing, carpentry, and zip-lining. The last two ended up with them covered in tree sap and pine needles, a frequent occurrence Harry would later discover. They were just starting a description of them trying duck-pin bowling when their teacher arrived.

By this time all three were sitting on his bed.

Like the nurses, Cheerilee was neither a pegasus nor a unicorn. She had a purple coat with a pink and lavender mane. After a quick introduction she settled into quizzing him on what he knew. The Cutie Mark Crusaders, as the three fillies had named themselves, left not long afterwards, not that Harry could blame them. He would have left, too, if he could move!

In all truth, he had to admit it wasn’t that bad. The math was simple flash cards of increasing difficulty. The language lessons were similar; the spelling of many common words, reading sentences and finding the nouns, verbs, adjectives, and so forth. Naturally, he couldn’t write anything, which surprised her somewhat as she expected him to use his mouth to move the quill — magic was out as he still wore that ring on his horn. For Geography, history, and government he knew nothing, again surprising her.

Apparently no one had told her he wasn’t native to this world. He decided that if the Princess had wanted that information widely known, she would have made sure everyone besides the doctor, nurse, her faithful student, and herself knew the truth. So, he said nothing about that and simply said he had never been taught those things.

Although he did learn that there were three types of ponies, Earth, Pegasus, and Unicorn. The Princess, she told him, was a special case. She was an Alicorn, of which there were only three known, Celestia, Luna, and Mi Amore Cadenza. He also learned that there were, indeed, many other mythological races in this new world, including, but not limited to, Griffons, Dragons, Trolls, Centaurs, Cockatrices, Hydras, Manticores, Minotaurs, and Phoenixes. And that there were several “normal” animals that could talk, such as Buffaloes and Cows. He didn’t think he could ever look at a hamburger again if he knew he could have talked to the cow it came from. He shuddered at the thought.

She was a nice mare, Harry decided, having given him proper names for ponies in general, and she concluded her testing well before dinner. However, just as she was leaving, Doctor Well Heart returned, bringing the purple unicorn mare, Twilight Sparkle, with him.

“Harry,” the doctor said, “your body’s healing powers are amazing. If they continue as they have, then I see no reason not to remove your casts and release you tomorrow afternoon.”

Harry perked up at that welcome news, but just as quickly frowned as he wondered where he would go.

The Doctor smiled at him. “I know what you’re thinking,” he said warmly. He turned to Twilight and nodded.

“Um,” she said haltingly, “If you have no objections, Princess Celestia suggested that you could stay with me. It would make it easier for me to teach you about Equestria and magic.”

Harry stared at her. He really didn’t have a choice, now did he? The Princess could simply say, “You’re living there,” and that would be that. No one would dare contradict her. And he definitely wasn’t in a position to defy authority.

On the other hand, so what? It wasn’t like he had ever really had the ability to make his own choices anyway, otherwise he never would have stayed with the Dursleys. At least this time the adults were pretending to give him the options.

He looked up at her, “And you could question ‘Subject’ about my world without any inconvenience.”

She blushed, he was amazed to see. How did she do that through fur?

“Well, yes, that too.” She rushed on, “But that’s not the primary reason, honest! I want to make you as comfortable as possible here.” She gave him a pleading look.

She seemed honest, he thought. And if he said “no” where would he end up?

“Okay,” he said, “If you don’t mind.”

She pranced in place for a moment, looking very pleased. “Excellent! Spike and I will prepare a nice spot for you to sleep.” She gave him a broad smile. “Doctor Well Heart says everything should be finished by three tomorrow, so I’ll see you then!” She turned and rushed out of the room.

Harry gave the Doctor a puzzled look.

The pony shook his head. “And they say I don’t have good pony skills!” He grinned at Harry. “She’s a good pony, I’m sure you’ll have a great time living at the library.”

“Library?”

“Oh, yes, you don’t know about that, do you?”

Harry looked at him blankly.

“Her home is Ponyville’s Golden Oak Library, and she’s the librarian.”

That was awesome on many levels, Harry realized. As long as he could read books he would be happy even if locked into a cupboard. And if he wasn’t locked in a cupboard, then so much the better. Living with her couldn’t be worse than the Dursleys.

He realized he was actually looking forward to moving in with her, now. But what was the Princess’s personal and faithful student doing running a library? Something was up with that. He would expect the personal student of the ruler to be groomed for a much more prestigious position. And yet, here she was, a lowly librarian.

His business concluded, the Doctor left. Harry returned to his meditations. He felt he was actually starting to make progress — he could actually keep his mind blank for seconds at a time!

۸-~-۸

The next day was a productive one for Harry. By the time the doctor came by and removed the colt’s casts Harry finally had managed to meditate for several minutes and caught the barest glimmer of a glow when he had tried to “look” at his horn with his eyes closed. Of course, that could also have been his imagination, “seeing” a glow that was really the sunlight coming in his window and making a pattern on the inside of his eyelids. Only time would tell.

And in the meantime, he had organized his memories to an amazing degree and found that his memories of school were much sharper than they had ever been. He could almost see the print in the books he had read in class, and hear the teachers’ words as they spoke. He still had a long way to go, but the more he did the faster he became at doing it! And the clearer all the memories became.

The down side of that was that he had far more unhappy and depressing memories than good ones. With their attendant emotions of humiliation and pain.

۸-~-۸

“And there you go, Harry,” Doctor Well Heart said as the last section of cast came off his left arm-leg. Harry just laid there for a moment lifting and lowering his new legs, watching closely as he tried to figure out how they worked. When he bent what he thought was his wrist, it was a lot farther up the leg than he had expected, at a place he had first thought was his elbow. He closed his eyes and bent his wrist, then opened them to see he had been correct, it was what he thought was his elbow doing the bending.

And when he moved his elbow, a joint almost at his chest moved. And above that was his shoulder. The space between them couldn’t have been more than the width of his tiny hoof — much shorter than he was used to seeing between his shoulder and elbow.

He worked his way back down to the hoof trying to bend things. When he got below his wrist, if he closed his eyes it felt like he was bending his middle finger. Thinking of that area as a finger, he tried to “hook” his legs together and feel how hard they pulled against each other. It was kind of odd, but he could see how he could grasp things that way. But still, he had at least three more joints between his shoulder and his hoof.

The doctor watched, apparently fascinated in his explorations. The stallion raised his eyebrows as Harry used his arm-legs to push himself into a sitting position.

It was very awkward for Harry and he had the urge to lean forward onto his front hooves the way dogs and cats sometimes sat with their tails curled around their paws. Unsure of what to expect, Harry carefully lowered his rear legs towards the floor and slid off the bed. Again, it was awkward, but by turning to his side he was able to lean against the bed while standing up. Cautiously, he balanced on his legs and took a tentative step beside the bed.

Both doctor and nurse were watching him intently, and wide-eyed, the doctor even taking notes on his clipboard. The nurse was both amazed and confused at what he was doing.

Too focused on learning to walk with his new body, Harry paid them no attention. Attempting to stand and walk without toes to flex and provide balance was a trial. He swayed and staggered a few times just trying to stand still, but his hooves seemed to grip the floor quite well he was surprise to notice — almost like they had suction cups on them instead of simply a hard hoof-fingernail. He found himself using his leg muscles and shifting his hips to keep from falling. It must be somewhat like walking with very low stilts strapped to his legs, he decided. He made sure to stay close to the bed so he could grab it whenever he started to lose his balance.

Still, after a few minutes struggling he was starting to get the hang of it. He looked up and grinned at the two adults and immediately realized he had made a mistake. Even though he was a young colt, standing on his legs like this made him as tall as the stallion and taller than the mare in the room. Ponies don’t walk on their rear legs.

“Uh, oops,” he said hesitantly, “Sorry,” he continued as he deliberately allowed himself to fall forward and catch himself with his hands-hooves. He shook his head. He was going to have to get used to calling things by their names here. Fore-legs and fore-hooves. He paused and considered things. Were those puns?

“No, no problem at all,” said the doctor, “That was quite interesting. You were walking almost like a Minotaur, and quite well indeed. Most ponies have difficulty just standing still that way, much less actually walking. Do you do that a lot?”

Harry hesitated. Well, everyone, pony, here knew he came from somewhere else, but he wasn’t sure if the Princess or Twilight had told anyone else he wasn’t naturally a pony. “Um, yeah.” He decided to leave it at that.

Doctor Well Heart made a notation on his clipboard. “Well, Twilight should be here any minute now.”

As if she had been waiting for her cue, Twilight trotted through the doorway behind the doctor. “Hi, Harry,” she said cheerfully. Oddly, Harry noticed she had dark bags under her eyes as if she hadn’t had enough sleep, and her assistant Spike was nowhere in sight. “I hope you’re ready to go.” She gave him a big smile.

He immediately mistrusted it. No one smiled like that at him, not even the doctors or nurses. “Yes, ma’am,” he said meekly, looking down, avoiding meeting her eyes, and possibly provoking her. After all, while the doctors and nurses were supposed to be nice as a part of their job, she, as the “faithful student” of the ruler of this land, was under no such requirements.

“Great! Well, come along, there is so much we have to do today in getting you settled in.”

She wheeled around and left the room.

Harry turned from beside the bed and started to follow her, only to end up in a face-plant on the floor. “Oof. Ow.” Trying to walk on your middle fingers and toes was a great deal more difficult than he had anticipated. It wasn’t like crawling on your hands and knees.

As he had discovered earlier, his elbows and knees were about mid-arm and mid-thigh, his wrists and ankles were where he would expect his elbows and knees to be. All those extra joints below them made it difficult to figure when he should move each one. Get one out of order — and his face met the floor.

Trying to “crawl” failed spectacularly when you didn’t use those “extra” joints — the hooves met the floor at weird angles and either bent wrong, and painfully, or simply skidded away. It might not be so bad on dirt where his hooves could get better traction, but on the wooden floors of this hospital it was far worse than trying to walk on an ice-covered path.

“Oh,” cried the nurse, quickly coming forward and trying to help him stand, again.

How she managed to help him back up without hands to grab him was a bit mystifying, but she did it. The doctor merely observed. Useless git.

Slowly, one leg at a time, he took a step, lifting each leg a bit higher than he really needed. He didn’t move the other three until the moving one was down and stable. He imagined he looked a bit like a cat he had once seen that someone had put little cloth boots over its paws. Taking high single steps instead of moving smoothly and elegantly across the floor. And looking completely ridiculous.

But at least he wasn’t falling down. With the nurse’s help he made it into the hall. Twilight was nowhere in sight, clearly not realizing that he hadn’t followed right at her heels. He sighed and sat a moment. “Thank you,” he said softly to the nurse.

She smiled down at him. “No problem, dearie,” she said, “I’m here to help you.” She patiently waited at his side.

He took a deep breath and, placing a hoof against the wall to steady himself, slowly rose to his hooves. His rear hooves, that is. It was actually easier to balance on the two rear hooves than all four because he only had to concentrate on two instead of splitting his attention to four. Walking upright would be quicker and have less face-meeting-floor time.

And while he had to worry about balance, that was a lesser evil. If he lost his balance on two legs he simply let himself fall to all fours. But if he started to fall from all fours, then he didn’t stop until his face met the floor.

With the nurse pacing him, and him occasionally placing a hoof against her back for balance, he made it to the reception area of the hospital rather quickly. Much faster, he thought, than trying to do it on all fours. The doctor, he noticed, trailed along behind him. He was, no doubt, taking notes and remaining useless.

The reception area was almost deserted with only the receptionist to watch as he made his way across the room to the front doors. Just as he came close to the doors, though, he saw a frantic purple pony running up the outside ramp. Fortunately, she looked through the glass before barging inside. Eyes wide in surprise, she slowed and opened the door, staring at him and the nurse.

He gave her a hesitant smile and hoped she wasn’t too upset he hadn’t been immediately behind her. If he wasn’t exactly where Aunt Petunia expected him to be when they were walking . . . well, the less said about that the better. As when he was with his Aunt, with the nurse beside him as a witness, the purple unicorn would remain cordial — although how she would react once they were behind closed doors he wasn’t as optimistic about.

“You’re walking on two legs,” she said wonderingly. “Why are you walking on two legs?”

He gulped. He hadn’t thought that she would mind him doing that, that she might be embarrassed by him doing that. He quickly dropped back onto all four hooves. And promptly face-planted as he tried to approach Twilight.

Before the nurse could move a purple glow appeared around him and lifted him into the air just high enough for him to regain his hooves. “Oh, yes,” she said, “I see. You aren’t used to walking the way we do.” She frowned a bit.

As did the Doctor on hearing what she said.

He closed his eyes briefly. She wasn’t happy. With magic, she could do things that Uncle Vernon had never thought to do. He felt his breathing become faster and a shallower. Maybe living with her would be a big mistake.

“How about this,” she suggested. “I’ll put my field under you and when you start to fall, I’ll catch you. That way you can practice walking without getting hurt?” She smiled happily, hopping back and forth between her front hooves.

She wanted him to walk like a normal pony, walking upright was forbidden. He nodded quickly.

“Goodbye,” he softly said to the nurse, “Thank you for your help.”

“Goodbye,” she replied with a smile.

Harry knew she watched them as they slowly left the hospital behind.

It was very strange to feel that light touch of Twilight’s magic field. At first, it was a nearly constant struggle to stay upright and he spent more time held up by her magic than walking on his hooves. And in the beginning she walked at a slow enough pace that he could easily keep up, but then she started talking.

“I’ve told my friends about you,” she said enthusiastically. “They can hardly wait to meet you.” When they reached the foot of the ramp, she turned left, sped up a fraction, and dragged him along behind her. “They’ve all gathered at the library to wait for us.”

He had no time to look around at the nearby buildings or Ponyville’s inhabitants, as he spent most of his energy, and eyes, on watching his hooves and trying not to slip up.

“Oh, this is just so exciting,” she said, speeding up again. His hooves barely had time to touch the ground before she moved him forward.

One of Dudley’s friends had had a small blow-up pool in their front yard one summer. Harry had watched from where he was weeding ’Tunia’s flowers as the kid’s dog had jumped into the pool. Dudley’s gang had all laughed hysterically when one of them held the small dog over the water and the dog had started to paddle his feet as if he were swimming in the water instead of suspended over it.

Harry felt something like that dog right now. He was moving his arms and legs as if he were walking, but the unicorn wasn’t letting him put any weight on his legs. He felt really stupid at the whole situation. And yet at the same time he found her magic absolutely amazing as it seemed to wrap entirely around his body like a blanket.

“Even your three filly friends are there! I’ve managed to get Pinkie Pie to tone things down to a small welcome party, but she’s insisting that later she’ll have a bigger party to introduce you to everypony. So today’s just a ‘welcome to your new home’ party. I hope you don’t mind.”

She sped up again. He gave up trying to walk and just curled his legs slightly above the ground. She was ignoring him completely as she talked, carrying him in her magic as if he were a package.

He didn’t even try to fake the appearance of walking, instead he stared at the odd buildings they passed and listened to her non-stop descriptions of her friends and how they met. She kept referring to these things called elements, how they reflected the personalities of her friends, and how proud she was of them.

One building looked like a carnival carousel and was owned by her friend Rarity, whom he would meet at the library. She was very generous, it seemed. Another was like a giant ginger-bread house with candies stuck all over it; her friend Pinkie Pie worked there as a baker, she was always arranging parties and making ponies laugh. “And she makes the best muffins and sweets you could ever want,” Twilight had explained.

Even the “normal” houses were odd, with roofs that looked like old-fashioned thatch, and walls that swept up in curves from the ground instead of straight verticals. There were bridges between some of the building that connected them on the first floors. Several looked like circus tents made out of wood with slanted walls and roofs that twisted and curved, and one even was shaped like a jesters cap, complete with round balls or other decorations at the top.

These ponies clearly had never heard of the concept of a zoning board. And yet, somehow, nothing clashed. Everything seemed to fit together in a cohesive whole that just seemed . . . right.

By the time they reached her home, the library, she was cantering along at a good rate of speed. She was moving far faster than he could hope to move on his own at the moment.

The library left him breathless with wonder. It was a giant tree with windows and balconies, and there were at least four floors inside. And from the greenery present, it was clear the tree was alive. How had they done that?

She flung the door open and trotted inside. Once they were inside she released him and he scrambled to stay on his feet at the unexpected drop. Fortunately, he managed to avoid face-planting again. She hadn’t even noticed she had been carrying him instead of merely supporting him as he walked. Or else she had thought that carrying him was less embarrassing for her than having all the ponies watch as he stumbled and almost face-planted behind her.

“We’re here!” she cried out cheerily as the door closed behind them.

The only resemblance the inside of the tree bore to a library was that there were hundreds of books on shelves that seemed to be a part of the tree. The only table was in the middle of the room, and it was currently buried under platters of what looked like cupcakes and muffins. The room extended upwards for two floors, easily. He could see several lofts over the ground-floor bookshelves with more books and the windows he had seen from outside. A banner hung across the opposite wall that said, “Welcome to Ponyville Harry Potter.” Crowded near the table were a bunch of ponies, and three fillies he easily recognized. A blue pony with a rainbow mane floated near one of the upstairs alcoves, slowly flapping its wings in an impossible feat that defied all laws of physics that he had read. He stared briefly.

Before he could take in more, there was a pink mass in front of him and someone yelling, “HI! I’M PINKIE PIE.” She thrust her leg out for a hoof-shake, “YOU MUST BE HARRY POTTER! I’m so . . . ,” the rest of what she was saying trailed off into silence.

Harry, having an adult suddenly in his face, shouting, and throwing out their hand in what he could only assume was a punch, reacted as experience had taught him. He dropped to the floor in a tight foetal curl. He tucked his arms tight to his sides to cover his ribs and stomach. He covered his face with his hands, now hooves, for protection as he screamed, “I’M SORRY! I’M SORRY! I PROMISE I’LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN!” He waited, panting in panic, for the kick that inevitably came next.

۸-~-۸

PreviousChapters Next