• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,675 Views, 21,326 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,326
 30,675

PreviousChapters Next
43 — Naked Panic

Author's Note:

Hit 700 Likes!
Here's a chapter to celebrate!
Next goal, 800 Likes for an extra chapter!


“In the meantime,” Twilight said, “as long as you are here, would you like to see a bit more of magic? Not just, as someone put it, ‘parlour tricks’?”

Both men nodded and said, “Yes, please.”

She smiled happily and picked up a small box on the table at her side. She floated it over to the Prime Minister. “Here,” she said, “take a look at this and tell me what you think.”

He took the floating item and examined it. “It looks like a small replica of a standard travel trunk.” He hefted it in his hand. “Weighs about as much as a pack of cards.” He looked at her questioningly.

She floated the ‘replica’ from his hand and placed it on the floor between them. She walked over to it and crouched. She looked to her right, at him, smirked, pressed the emblem that took up much of the top, and stepped back. There was a moment’s silence as they all just stared at the tiny trunk. Then, it abruptly started to grow larger.

All three men sat back in their chairs.

There, in front of them, was a standard travel trunk. A third of a meter tall, two-thirds of a meter wide, and a full meter long.

Lady Dash laughed at their expression. Lady Rarity said, smirking, “Makes travel much easier when you can carry all your luggage in your pocket.”

The men exchanged amazed glances. Castor knew this technique alone would revolutionize travel and shipping everywhere. Were there limits on the size of the things that could be shrunken? He imagined an entire cargo ship of goods small enough to carry aboard a plane. No more weeks or months spent at sea, or cargo lost as ships sank in storms or collisions. Near instant delivery of goods across the world. Even big lorry deliveries could be made by motorcycle, reducing traffic and fuel usage.

Except, he realized, what about weight? If the weight remained the same no one could lift the shrunken items. But the Equestrians didn’t seem bothered by that issue. And if it was a problem, they wouldn’t so casually talk of putting a trunk weighing dozens of kilograms in a pocket!

“Pick it up,” invited Lady Jack, snickering.

Cautiously, knowing there was a trick involved from the barely restrained giggling coming from Lady Dash, who had turned from the windows and was now watching them, Major stood and walked over to the trunk. He grabbed the middle handle and gingerly lifted it. It rose easily. He gave the Equestrians a disbelieving look. “It’s heavier than before!”

The Princess nodded. “Yes, it has what is known as a feather-weight charm on it that reduces its weight when it’s shrunken to pocket size. Plus, it will never weigh more than about triple what it weighs now no matter what you place in it.”

The Prime Minister frowned. “So, it’s empty?”

She grinned, “Not quite. Lay it back down and open it.”

Again, expecting a trick, he cautiously followed her instructions.

The trunk was empty.

“Watch,” she said, stepping into the trunk as Major stepped back to give her room.

As soon as she was standing in the trunk, she started to go down. The men watched, wide-eyed, as she rather quickly disappeared into the trunk. They all three moved closer and looked inside to see her waving at them as she sank into a room below them.

“Gangway,” shouted Lady Dash, diving into the trunk before the Princess reached the bottom. Startled, they all stepped back, hearing laughter coming from below them. The Prime Minister bent down and picked up the trunk by its handle, angling it so they could see that there really wasn’t a hole through the floor. He set it back down.

“When the elevator gets back up there, just step inside to join me. There’s more to show you down here,” the Princess said.

“Hurry,” cried Lady Pie from inside the trunk, “There’s cake in the kitchen.”

How had she gotten past them?

Thus began a short tour that had both ministers almost physically drooling at what this ‘alien technology’ would do for England.

That was the best way to present it to the public, the two men later decided. After all, hadn’t a British science-fiction writer once said, “any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”? And this certainly fit that description!

And Wootten later instructed Castor, “The word magic is to be stricken from your vocabulary. It is ‘Alien Technology.’ If you hear someone refer to it as magic, you are to correct them. Laugh and say, ‘Yes, it does look like that sometimes, but it’s not, it’s simply a highly-advanced alien technology.’ Or words to that effect. And the aliens’ abilities are to be called telekinesis, should anyone see them.”

But for now they were awed at the potential this one ‘technology’ could provide. Housing would no longer be a problem. Nor urban sprawl. No longer would space be a problem in London. Even the smallest efficiency flat could be a full-sized, luxurious four-bedroom home with a spacious kitchen, dining-room, lounge, sitting-room, smoking-room, and four and a half bathrooms. Not to mention the implications it had for cars and lorries — a smaller vehicle that would provide more room on the expressways, deliver better mileage because of the decrease in size and weight, and yet have more room inside for passenger comfort and cargo. If it could be integrated properly, their competition would be left wondering just what the bloody hell the British had done!

In fact, you could turn a small lorry into a mobile mansion that would put Castle Howard to shame.

Castor, on the other hand, and because of his previous career in the Sport and Social, was more concerned with the military implications — an L86 automatic rifle with grenade launcher and sighting systems reduced from ten kilograms to less than half-a-kilogram, including tiny magazines that could hold thousands of rounds and hundreds of grenades. You would never have to reload in the field, nor worry about running out of ammo in any except the most extreme cases. Your fire limit would probably be when the barrel melted — but there was probably a magical fix for that, too. And a small card-sized pack on your equipment belt that could hold weeks of rations, all the necessary toiletries, and as many changes of clothes as you could want. Or even a modest one-room cabin with fully-stocked kitchen, shower, and toilet! Even the most rugged terrain imaginable would be easily tolerable. Suddenly, military mobility sky-rocketed. Military planes that could fly around the world without refuelling, and not have to pay a penalty in carrying all that extra weight. Nor ever be concerned about re-arming after firing their weapons. A single jet could have the firepower of an entire squadron.

On the other hand, and very troubling, was that this space compression meant an invasion force with hundreds, or thousands, of troops, with all their equipment, could easily slip through the portal in a single rucksack. If the ponies weren’t telling the truth about themselves and what they wanted, then humans were well and truly boned.

And if terrorists got their hands on this? Or drug smugglers? The damage that a single person could do would be incalculable. He would have to ask the Equestrians if they had a way to detect people using this magic. And if they said no, hope they were wrong.

۸- ̰ -۸

After having finished both the cider and some of the best cake they had ever tasted, which Lady Pinkie had insisted they sample, they returned up to the house. They had no sooner arrived when a man rushed in the front door. “Princess Twilight Sparkle,” he gasped, coming to attention as soon as he saw her in the sitting-room. “Princess Celestia . . . ,” he stopped and looked at the three non-Equestrians, then rapidly moved closer to the Princess and spoke to her quietly. Her eyes got bigger, then her pupils narrowed down, and she started breathing heavily.

“Oh my gosh!” she said startled. “Oh my gosh,” she repeated aghast. She suddenly changed to a pony and began trotting in place. She looked over at three men. “Princess Celestia would like to meet you, Prime Minister! She’s waiting just on the other side of the portal! Oh my gosh! I never expected her to do that so soon!” She began pacing back and forth. “I should have known she would want to meet the Prime Minister today. What’s wrong with me?” she wailed. “She’s going to be so disappointed! What am I going to do? What should I do first?” Stray hairs began poking straight out from her mane, giving her the appearance of someone slightly unhinged, and becoming more so by the moment.

From the way the others were rolling their eyes and face-palming, Castor got the idea that the panic the purple pony was going through was normal.

“I didn’t even think of her meeting the Prime Minister today — just canceling her daily court session and coming here! I didn’t even think of that! I left that completely off my list!” She gasped, and a scroll suddenly flew up out the bag on the floor by her chair, with what looked like a quill and inkpot. The scroll unrolled across the floor as she frantically began to scan it. “This changes everything!” she cried out, and the quill began to fly across the scroll. She darted over to the Prime Minister and sat, looking up at him with wide, pleading eyes, ears laid back, chin quivering, one hoof lifted beseechingly, “You will agree to meet her, won’t you?” In the background, the quill was scratching away at the scroll. Spike, the dragon, was shaking his head and sighing while watching her.

And, right there, Castor realized the human race was doomed. Only the most heartless, vicious criminals would be able to resist those puppy-dog eyes and posture. Humanity’s only hope was that the ponies never realized their hidden power.

John Major never had a chance. He stared down at the terminally-cute and adorable purple-pony, sighed, and said, “Why yes, of course I will. If she travelled all the way from Canterlot to the portal, it would be churlish of me to not reciprocate.”

“Oh thank you, thank you,” she cried hurling herself at him, hugging his waist and burying her head against his chest. “You don’t know what this means to me!” she said, half-muffled by her position. Castor watched as the Prime Minister stroked the back of Princess Sparkle’s head with a bemused expression.

“TWILIGHT!” Lady Rarity said, disapprovingly. Lady Rainbow took a more direct approach, after an exaggerated eye roll, and flew over to her and began prying her friend off the Prime Minister. Spike joined her.

“Please excuse my . . . cousin,” Prince Blood said to the Prime Minister and his Deputy. “She is very obsessive about her plans, she creates a new list daily of everything she thinks will happen.” He paused. “Every contingency is covered. So when something unexpected happens that she didn’t include, she gets quite excitable.” He gave a disapproving look at her.

“Twi, calm down or you’ll make us late to meet the Princess,” Spike said.

Princess Sparkle suddenly bolted backwards a step, half-crouching. “Princess Celestia is waiting!” The bag beside the chair suddenly flew across the room and wrapped into place on her back, the quill, inkpot, and scroll following rapidly and hovering over her back, the quill still making notes. Just as suddenly, Spike floated up into the air and onto her back.

There was a flash of light, the tinkling of bells, and the Princess, Spike, and her writing implements disappeared.

The three men stared at the empty spot where she had been. The Equestrians all sighed deeply. Prince Blood was holding his hand to his face, with his eyes closed.

The Prime Minister looked up. “What just happened?”

Prince Blood sighed, again, and answered quietly. “She teleported to the portal. It’s a skill all alicorns possess. Once she realizes we aren’t there, she’ll come right . . . .”

There was another flash of light and tinkling of bells, and Twilight reappeared, looking even more frazzled than before. Spike appeared to be just as dazzled as the rest of them.

“. . . back.”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” she cried running in a small circle, ending facing the two ministers. “I’ll take you right there!”

“Wait!” cried Lady Rarity, as they suddenly appeared inside the tent. Fortunately, no one had been seated. The three humans gasped at the abrupt transition. Twilight spun to run down the centre aisle to the portal. “Hurry, Celestia’s waiting . . . .”

“Woah there, honey,” Lady Jack said, not quite tackling the mare, but wrapping her forelegs around the distraught princess. “You don’t want Princess Celestia to see you in a panic!” She started rocking her slightly. “Remember what Cadence said, deep breaths, deep breaths,” the mare said. “Breath in through the snout . . . hold it . . . breath out through the muzzle.” She suited her actions to her words and prompted the purple pony to follow suit.

After several repetitions, Princess Sparkle’s mane no longer looked so frazzled and she began to calm down. After another moment, she stopped and looked around the room.

Castor was amazed to see that he could actually see her face turn red through her fur as she blushed, realizing how she had acted.

“I’m sorry,” she said, looking at the floor, then looking up at the three men. “It’s just that . . . well, Princess Celestia is waiting . . . .”

Prince Blood said, “Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister.” He inclined his head slightly, “Welcome to the portal station on the Equestrian Embassy grounds. The doors on the left and right,” he gestured towards them with his cane, “lead to changing rooms for those people who change when going through the portal.” He smiled. “It is easier to change clothes while in human form. There are suitable robes available in each room for humans to wear to maintain modesty while transitioning. They are easily put on or removed when in either form.” He smiled at them.

“We provide these for our guests, as we usually do not wear clothes in our world except as protection in certain jobs and as status symbols, and thus, are not perturbed by their lack.”

He turned to the princess. “Princess Twilight, will any of our guests today need to use the changing rooms?” He glared at her sternly.

“Oh, er.” She looked at him, abashed. “Let me check.” She turned to the three humans and studied them a moment. “I’m going to cast a spell. It won’t harm you. I’m merely looking to see if you have enough magic to transform to a pony when you go through the portal.” She stared at them, concentrating.

Princess Twilight grinned at Castor. “The Prime Minister John Major and Deputy Prime Minister Michael Heseltine will have no problems going through the portal. Detective Inspector Searle, however, should probably put on one of the robes, just in case.”

Prince Blood nodded. “Excellent.” He looked at the two men. “If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be just a moment.” He looked at Castor and gestured at the door on the right, which, Castor noticed, now had the emblem of man on it. The Prince followed him into the changing room.

The Prince Blood removed and carefully folded his jacket, and then placed it in a basket with his name on it. The basket was on a shelf with many others, all named. A second shelf, a bit lower had empty baskets, none named. On the opposite wall were a series of hooks with multi-coloured robes, a bench below them.

Castor started removing his jacket. The moment his jacket was in the basket, his name appeared on the front. Momentarily non-plussed, he stared at it, then shrugged and continued to undress.

Both wearing a robe, Castor followed the ambassador out the other door into the hall to the portal, joining the two ministers and Princess Sparkle, now also wearing a robe.

“I shall go first, Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister,” the Prince said. “Just walk at a normal pace. You’ll notice the sign just above our heads with the name Sweet Apple Acres. There will be a slight moment of disorientation. There is a railing on the other side, just like this side, so if you feel the need for that reassurance, just grab the railing.” He nodded at them and then walked into the tree, disappearing.

“Would you like me to go first?” asked Castor quietly.

Major gave a quick shake of his head, then strode towards the tree, followed quickly by Heseltine, and then Castor.

The experience was at once strange, and yet at the same time, not that strange. It was like walking into a photographic darkroom through a “light-lock.” One moment you’re in brightly lit closet, then it’s darker as the wooden door behind you closes, then lit again as the wooden door in front of you opens. Only in this case, he stepped outside and promptly fell to his hands and knees.

Only, they weren’t his hands and knees, he was standing on hooves.

Both Major and Heseltine were staring at him as he looked up at them. It was difficult to say who was more surprised. It was one thing to have someone say, this might happen, and another to actually see it happen.

Suddenly he was lifted up and moved to one side and put back down. Before he could panic, though, he heard the Princess behind him say, “Yes! I thought that was sufficient magic!” He looked over his shoulder to see the purple Princess standing beside and slightly behind him. “Congratulations, Mr. Searle, you are a pegasus!” She smiled at him, hopping in place, as if proud of an achievement. “You’ll have difficulty walking, at first,” she continued, so let me carry you in my magic.”

He felt his feet and hands . . . hooves . . . lift off the wooden deck. He looked down and saw that he was floating a few centimeters in the air. Then it hit him. Pegasus? He turned his head. He had wings! The mere thought of them made them shoot out, almost like he was flexing a muscle on the back of his shoulders. Unfortunately, that reaction had him smacking the Princess in the face with his wing.

“Ack!” she said stepping back.

The wings folded back down almost as fast as they had extended.

“I’m sorry” he said, hurriedly, “I didn’t know they would do that.”

Lady Dash was already laughing at him, and the others were covering their mouths with a hoof, snickering.

“It’s okay,” Princess Sparkle said dismissively. “You’ll learn to control them, later.”

“Yeah,” said the Rainbow Dash, “you shoulda seen how many times Twi knocked things over in the library or gave somepony a face full of feathers before she learned to control her wings!” And laughed some more.

“PRINCESS CELESTIA!” Twilight suddenly exclaimed and Castor abruptly found himself several meters away from where he had been, facing a beautiful white horse with both wings and a very long horn. And she looked much more like a horse than the ponies looked like ponies, with long delicate legs. Even sitting, she towered over the ponies around her. Her most striking feature, though, was her extremely long and gorgeous mane, which seemed to be made of green, blue, violet, and pink hair that weaved and wove like flames in a breeze that he couldn’t feel.

Castor had had the opportunity to see many horses in his travels, and he could say that, without a doubt, this one put all the others to shame. Not only was she immaculately groomed, but she seemed to slightly glow and radiated a faint heat. Her regal appearance was helped by the gold crown on her head and the gold . . . it was too big to be a necklace . . . chest piece, both with an enormous purple gem centred on them. The gold shoes on her hooves certainly contributed to that image. She was seated before a low table with a tea service in place. She was watching the purple alicorn with more than a little amusement.

“Good morning, Twilight,” she paused to take a genteel sip of her tea. “Why don’t you introduce your guests?”

Once that bit of purple-panic had finally calmed down, with another time-out for the excitable princess to practice her breathing exercise, the eleven of them were seated in armchairs — the three humans — or on pillows around the table with Princess Celestia, and enjoying a cup of quite excellent tea.

“Thank you for coming through the portal, Prime Minister Major, Deputy Prime Minister Heseltine. I always find it makes things easier when the ones in charge meet each other. I hope that today we will be able to begin a long and fruitful association.”

Castor knew he should have paid more attention to what was being said, but he was too involved in trying to figure out just how it was that a pony, himself, with hooves instead of hands, somehow managed to grasp the handle of a tea cup. It should have been impossible. The hooves were hard keratin. He verified that by with a mild tap against the side of his head. Yet, somehow, he could see it flex and bend around the cup-handle and actually hold the bloody cup as he drank from it.

He did notice, though, that oddly enough, the things that seemed to attract the ponies’ ruler’s attention the most, as they talked, were in the category of literature, both written and audio/video, and music. The technical items didn’t seem to be of as much interest. Princess Twilight, however was entranced by the subjects of technology and science, with Princess Celestia gently moving the conversation away from that whenever it came up.

By the time they had finished several cups of tea, the Prime Minister had secured a promise that several pony doctors would come to the portal to examine some human patients to see if their “technology” would work. Once they had a few successes on this side, they would try them on the other, and then see about expanding their services to the general population.

Similarly, explanations and classes on their “space” expansion and feather-weight “technology” were tentatively scheduled.

As they were standing, however, the Prime Minister stopped and looked at the Equestrian ruler, who was on eye level with him.

“There is one other thing.” He paused for a long moment, clearly debating whether he should speak. “Princess Twilight has said that your ponies, in their explorations around Little Whinging, and London, haven’t discovered any people who could do magic.” He paused and looked at Princess Celestia.

She tilted her head questioningly.

The Prime Minister looked at his Deputy, then back at her. “In view of the fact some of our people do have magic,” he nodded his head at Castor, “would it surprise you to know that there is an entire group of people who know all about magic? And can use it?”

Heseltine stared at him, clearly surprised, as did Castor and Yueshi.

Celestia smiled. “I would expect it, actually,” she said softly. “After all, it takes more than a little magic to create a portal, even by accident.”

Still smiling, she added, “And yes, we have met them. In fact, they came to us, first, not that they knew of the portal, or even that it exists.”

She turned slightly to look at the startled alicorn. “My most faithful student, Twilight, has already met them.” She giggled delicately, “They think we are from a place in your world they call Atlantis. An island hidden from the rest of your world through powerful magics.”

She looked back at the Minister.

He and the others were staring at her.

“They have told us of their Statute of Secrecy,” she continued, “of keeping themselves separate from the normal population. We, of course, abided by their wishes and haven’t mentioned them to any of your people. And, naturally, we haven’t mentioned our desire to establish relations with your world to them.

“The fact that we are, demonstrably, from a different world means that our use of magic in no way indicates the presence of their hidden society. As long as they behave themselves they are in no danger of being exposed.”

She smirked. “In fact, it will help them. Once the public discovers our abilities, many of the wizards’ accidentally-seen small magical displays will be attributed to us. Which will draw attention away from their society.”

She tilted her head slightly. “Will you be telling them of our conversations?”

Slowly, the Prime Minister shook his head. “I have no way to contact them. I only know of their existence because their Prime Minister introduced himself to me on the first day I was in office. He said that, with luck, we would never talk again, that he would only contact me in the event of an emergency.” He paused.

“There is a portrait in my office that is supposed to be my link to their side, but I’m not sure how it works. It just started speaking to me that day, telling me the Magical Prime Minister wanted to see me. I don’t know if it works the other way.” He shuddered. “I use my office only for myself, all meeting with other officials takes place in meeting rooms, without paintings. I would abandon it completely, but then they might do something else.” He scowled. “They probably have spies watching us.”

She nodded. “Yes, they do seem to be a bit arrogant in their dealings with normal people. Perhaps you should try to contact them and tell them aliens from far away have contacted you and you felt they should know. And then we shall see what they say. Use words other than magic to describe our abilities, if it comes up, such as what you call Extra Sensory Perception.” She gave her head a little shake at the thought of such a simple thing being called that. “Or, specifically, telekinesis, which Twilight tells me our magic most frequently looks like. Just insist it’s not magic but ESP or telekinesis.” She smirked again. “That way they can’t say they weren’t warned when they discover the truth. You will be blameless. And you have told them nothing but the truth.” She smiled serenely.

Back in Little Whinging, as the two ministers were getting ready to leave, Princess Sparkle said, “Before you go, you should take these with you.” A woman came outside the house carrying two fabric briefcases. “These two briefcases have the expansion charm on them. They have about half-a-cubic meter of space inside them.” She smirked. “Physical proof so those to whom you tell the secret won’t think you have — what’s the phrase? — gone completely bloody barking barmy?”

Watching as the four cars pulled away, Castor turned to the Princess. “That was certainly impressive,” he said.

She smiled at him. “I hope they agree to keep our secret.”

He smiled back. “I can’t imagine them saying no.”

She grinned happily.

“On the other hand,” his expression turned serious, as did his tone. “I have to ask in my capacity as a member of the Surrey Police, what can you tell me about Harry Potter?”

۸-ꞈ-۸

PreviousChapters Next