• Published 5th Apr 2018
  • 2,126 Views, 39 Comments

Blood und Steel - Silbern



The Panzer-Lehr-Division was meant for Western Europe to help defend against possible Allied landing. They never make it and are now thrusted into a new war not of their choosing. Trust and Loyalty are tried in Blood and Steel.

  • ...
9
 39
 2,126

Glossary

Author's Note:

As suggested, I have started this glossary to help individuals either visualize or do some small reading of the particular item. At the top I have added a rank link which helped me for most of it. If there is something you wanted added let me know. I will update more of it soon especially as we see more and more of the division.

Cheers, Silby.

For ranks go to: Ranks and Insignia

Weapons:

Kar98 or Karabiner 98 kurz
The Karabiner 98 kurz is a bolt-action rifle chambered for the 7.92×57mm Mauser cartridge that was adopted on 21 June 1935 as the standard service rifle by the German Wehrmacht. It was one of the final developments in the long line of Mauser military rifles.

MP 40 or Maschinenpistole 40
The MP 40 (Maschinenpistole 40) was a submachine gun chambered for the 9×19mm Parabellum cartridge. It was developed in Nazi Germany and used extensively by the Axis powers during the Second World War. Designed in 1938 by Heinrich Vollmer with inspiration from its predecessor the MP 38, it was heavily used by Infantrymen especially platoon and squad leaders.

MG 42 or Maschinengewehr 42
The MG 42 is a 7.92×57mm Mauser general purpose machine gun designed in Nazi Germany and used extensively by the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS during the second half of World War II. It was intended to replace the earlier MG 34, which was more expensive and took much longer to produce, but both weapons were produced until the end of the war.
Designed to be low-cost and easy to build, the MG 42 proved to be highly reliable and easy to operate. It is most notable for its very high cyclic rate for a gun using full power service cartridges, averaging about 1,200 rounds per minute compared to around 850 for the MG 34, and perhaps 450 to 600 for other common machine guns like the M1919 Browning or Bren.

MG 34 or Maschinengewehr 34
The Maschinengewehr 34, or MG 34, is a German recoil-operated air-cooled machine gun, first tested in 1929, introduced in 1934, and issued to units in 1936. It introduced an entirely new concept in automatic firepower – the Einheitsmaschinengewehr (Universal machine gun) – and is generally considered the world's first general-purpose machine gun (GPMG). The versatile MG 34 was chambered for the full-power 7.92x57mm Mauser rifle cartridge, and was arguably the most advanced machine gun in the world at the time of its deployment. Its combination of exceptional mobility – being light enough to be carried by one man – and high rate of fire (of up to 900 rounds per minute) was unmatched.

Stielhandgranate
The Stielhandgranate was a German hand grenade of unique design. It was the standard issue of the German Empire during World War I, and became the infamous issue of Nazi Germany's Wehrmacht during World War II.

The StG 44 or Sturmgewehr 44
The StG 44 is a German selective-fire rifle developed during World War II. It is also known under the designations MP 43 and MP 44 (Maschinenpistole 43 and 44). The StG 44 was the first successful and widely produced design to use a new shorter cartridge, which permitted controllable automatic fire from a weapon more compact than a battle rifle coupled with the recognition that most aimed rifle fire in combat situations did not exceed a few hundred metres.

The Gewehr 43 or Karabiner 43
The Gewehr 43 or Karabiner 43 is a 7.92×57mm Mauser caliber semi-automatic rifle developed by Germany during World War II. The design was based on that of the earlier G41(W), but incorporating an improved short-stroke piston gas system similar to that of the Soviet Tokarev SVT-40, and it incorporated innovative mass-production techniques.

kurzer 8 cm Granatwerfer 42
The kurzer 8 cm Granatwerfer 42 (kz 8 cm GrW 42) was a mortar used by germany in WW2. It was developed as a lightened version of the standard German 8cm GrW 34 medium mortar with a shorter barrel for use by paratroopers, but replaced the ineffective 5cm IeGrW 36 as that weapon's shortcomings became apparent. The kz 8 cm GrW 42 fired a bomb over 3 and a half times heavier twice as far as the smaller mortar, but was less than twice as heavy. It broke down into the standard three loads for transport.

Flammenwerfer 41
The Flammenwerfer 41, or FmW 41 (literally, "flame thrower") was the standard German flamethrower beginning in 1941 and an upgraded version of the earlier Flammenwerfer 35. It was designed to clear enemy trenches and buildings in highly fortified areas.

Panzers/Vehicles:

Panzer IV or Panzerkampfwagen IV (PzKpfw IV)
The Panzerkampfwagen IV (PzKpfw IV), commonly known as the Panzer IV, was a German medium tank developed in the late 1930s and used extensively during the Second World War. Despite a well-dated general conception, and the rise of the brand new generation of tanks that included the Panther, Tiger and Königstiger, it carried not only the bulk of the Wehrmacht, but was also the chosen tank for many elite SS Panzerdivisions. The recipe of this success was probably its large hull and turret, easy maintenance, reliability and a sturdy chassis, which allowed a more generous array of weapons than the Panzer III. From the Ausf.A to F1, the early “short” versions, using the short 75 mm (2.95 in) barrel, were gradually replaced by the “long” ones (F2 to H), using a very effective high velocity gun derived from the Pak40, able to cope with the Russian T-34 and KV-1.

Sd.Kfz.251 Hanomag
The Sd.Kfz. 251 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 251) half-track was a WW2 German armored fighting vehicle designed by the Hanomag company, based on its earlier, unarmored Sd.Kfz. 11 vehicle. The Sd.Kfz. 251 was designed to transport the panzergrenadiers (German mechanized infantry) into battle. The is many variants of this vehicle pattern, more than I care to paste but the chances of all of them appearing is very slim.

Comments ( 9 )

8870473
Fixed! :ajsmug:
Thanks for reading thus far! I hope to keep your interest in the future!

8869618
You will be happy to know that there is indeed those in the Panzer-Lehr-Division!


8869672
Glossary is added and a great link for rank is embedded for ya!


8869857
8870064
8869956
I really appreciate it all! Thank you for the support!

8870001
That is a very good example of the Royal Guard in my head canon for this. They are trained through military service but also do ceremonial guard duty for tradition sakes.

hmmm, MG 34 or 42 what about the Panzerfaust or Panzershrek and what about their sidearms no P08 walther p38 or ppk?

8871331
Yup, I will definitely be adding those plus trucks and such.

8870473
And more commonly known as a King Tiger for those of us who are not fluent in German

8871091
I'm sure you will keep me interested.
I love this fic too much already :)

Please good sir! I beg of you, more please :)

PoH

I'm very much enjoying. Cant wait for more

Login or register to comment