• Published 15th Dec 2017
  • 639 Views, 6 Comments

Noises in the night - therandomone95



Spike is on his little basket trying to sleep, suddenly, some weird things start to happen.

  • ...
 6
 639

Strange noises

One-shot: Noises in the night.

There, Spike jumped out of his little basket, he woke up with an accelerated and forced breathing, but he calmed down when he realized that it was just a nightmare, a terrible, horrible nightmare, Spike touched his forehead and noticed that it was really wet from the things that happened in it, he was amazed that Princess Luna didn't came to stop his nightmare, but that really didn't matter now.

There, the horror is over, now the only thing left to do is contemplate the darkness of the room, but there is not much, certainly the night doesn't let you see anything, of course, is logical, but Spike wished that Luna made the moon brighter just for tonight, Spike's sleeping position is not comfortable, so Spike decided to rest his ear in the pillow and sleep looking at the wall.

The night, quiet as always, invites Spike to find noises, because he was not used to not hearing anything, so Spike's ear searches even for the quietest sound, he hears the air punching the leaves of the trees, and he hears the leaves shaking and yielding to its strenght, then, a louder noise could be heard, the familiar noise of hoofsteps...

How could he forget the memories that this sound has brought with it? He practically has heard it during his entire life, he still remembered being half-asleep on the couch and that sound aproaching, the hoofsteps belonged to Twilight, her hoofsteps weren't heavy nor light, they were perfect, and their sound brought comfort to Spike, he remembered Twilight levitating him to his little basket and covering him with the blankets while wishing him good dreams, and Spike, so as not to ruin the moment, kept silent.

Maybe he still remembered the time when he caused that sound because he had a horrifying nightmare and ran towards Twilight's bed while screaming in fear, and he heard her hoofsteps approaching him to calm him down, then, Twilight would offer him a space on her bed and swore to protect him if something bad happened, that way, Spike slept very good and very comfortable.

All of these memories would be good for sleep if it wasn't for the fact that this noise shouldn't be heard at this moment because Twilight is at Canterlot and there is no one else at the castle today, in fact, this noise scared him, but Spike now has the guts to face the situation himself, after all, he is a dragon, right? The most probable thing, (And the first that came to Spike's head) was that the hoofsteps belonged to an intruder, a scoundrel that had the intentions of stealing his gems and the belongings of the princess, but he messed with the wrong dragon, after everything he had to face with Twilight and the others, he was tougher than before.

Spike checked his claws, also his fire breath, and he got off his basket, that street rat was in for a big one; Spike turned on some lights of the castle, he even turned on the lights of outside the castle that illuminated a part of the street, for a moment, he thought that a shadow was backing up, but it was only his eyes, his eyes were special, they didn't need to adapt to the sudden change of light.

Spike went back to his basket and turned off all the lights, on the way he also relaxed his claws and calmed his fire breath, then, the absolute darkness reigned again over the castle, it was a false alarm only, Spike remembered that he left the lights of the street turned on, so he went to turn them off and finally get some sleep, he got there in complete darkness and turned it off, but when he was at the principal door, he looked outside the window and saw the moon.

The moon was beautiful, radiant, imponent, but its light only illuminated the castle very faintly, after a while, the moon hid behind a very dark cloud, leaving Spike in a complete darkness, but this wasn't a problem for Spike, his memory of the castle was so good that he could be blind and he still could make his way through it, all that's left is to go back and finally sleep.

Only two rooms separated him from his basket: the map room and the kitchen, Spike was walking to his bedroom, but when he was reaching the door that separated the two rooms he felt chills on his back, at first they were almost non-existent and completely ignorable, but they become stronger to the point where Spike was almost freezing.

What's going on? In snowy days Spike likes the heating of the castle, he could even see the machine with its light turned on in a corner, then, Why was it so cold? Maybe they are not real chills, they are just imaginary chills, those chills that could make you shake from the impression, but Spike reached the door, he closed it behind him, and suddenly the chills were gone.

The warm was starting to reach Spike once again, it was only his head! Tonight his brain likes to annoy Spike more than normal, now the kitchen stands between Spike and his basket, because behind the door lies Spike's room waiting for his arrival, and his basket stays with his pillow ready, where he can finally get some sleep after this weird night.

Step by step, Spike was getting closer to his room, but, that's weird, the floor has a texture that was getting weirder each time, it is soft, but it isn't nice, in fact, the opposite, is like small bits of it were moving, those small bits take a form each time more gross than the last, and, what the heck? now it's like the floor is full of worms that shake unceasingly, when Spike noticed this, he felt grossed out and he walked faster, but when Spike goes further, the floor gets more wet, now it seems like instead of worms, there is water, a lot of water a thin and extense puddle of water that soaks his feet.

At a certain point, Spike noticed that there was something else than water, because its smell became stronger and stronger until Spike remembered what it was, it was the unforgettable and unmistakable smell of blood; this is too much, Spike remembered that at the side of the door was the light switch, now that was his objective, with fear, Spike ran towards it, while he runs, the sound of blood splashing became stronger, and the last thing Spike heard before reaching the switch was the sound of a fly, a sign of pestilence, of rotten food, or even a sign of corpses, the blood, the worms, it all connected in an unpleasant circle.

All of Spike's emotions at that moment came to an end when he reached the switch and turned on the lights, because the kitchen was impeccable, there was nothing out of the ordinary, not even a fly around, the floor was sparkling because it was clean, there were no fluids or insects around.

"Sometimes I have such a dumb imagination." Spike said to himself, what was he thinking anyway? Spike turned off the light and closed the door behind him, at last, it seemed like an eternity, but Spike was in his room once again, Spike walked to his door and, why not? he wrapped himself in the blankets to prevent spoopy things from catching him, Spike giggled to himself for that, and he feels like a baby in a good way again.

But, that's enough of this, it's time for sleep, the moon illuminates his room very faintly once again, but, something is not right here, Spike analyzed his room, and he saw a black figure in the corner, and, with the light of the moon, Spike could see the figure even better, the figure seemed to start moving, not to the right, not to the left, not backwards, but towards Spike.

The chills return, it's getting closer, the blankets appear to be wet, and Spike recognized the smell instantly, it was the strong smell of blood, it's getting closer, now his back could feel it too, that texture of thousands of little worms shaking took over his entire basket, the black figure now is only a few centimeters away from Spike, and it seemed like one of its extremities wanted to grab him, it did.

The black figure squeezed Spike while it was getting closer and closer, Spike couldn't move, his throat was closing slowly, now it was clear that if Spike wanted to scream it would be useless, the last thing Spike heard was the sound of a fly, and when that strange figure reveals its identity...

There, Spike jumped out of his little basket, he woke up with an accelerated and forced breathing, but he calmed down when he realized that it was just a nightmare, a terrible, horrible nightmare, Spike touched his forehead and noticed that it was really wet from the things that happened in it, he was amazed that Princess Luna didn't came to stop his nightmare, but that really didn't matter now.

There, the horror is over, now the only thing left to do is contemplate the darkness of the room, but there is not much, certainly the night doesn't let you see anything, of course, is logical, but Spike wished that Luna made the moon brighter just for tonight, Spike's sleeping position is not comfortable, so Spike decided to rest his ear in the pillow and sleep looking at the wall.

The night, quiet as always, invites Spike to find noises, because he was not used to not hearing anything, so Spike's ear searches even for the quietest sound, he hears the air punching the leaves of the trees, and he hears the leaves shaking and yielding to its strenght, then, a louder noise could be heard, the familiar noise of hoofsteps...

Comments ( 6 )

A deep dream, where one imagines being awake for the events the whole time only to suddenly wake up from them as though you were dreaming this whole time. I have felt the experiences of these kinds of dreams before, and am familiar with them.

8610952
Yes, I had these strange dreams a few times.

I like the idea of this story, but the writing is all over the place and the tenses keep changing :unsuresweetie:

8612050
:facehoof: Do I have to say it on every story I write? I have a terrible way of writing and I have to improve it, please be patient with me :fluttercry:

8612159
Dude, it's fine :p just stick to the past or the present and you'll be fine.
It depends on what you think is best : the present, to make the reader feel like it's happening right now and makes us feel closer to the character, or the past to create a disconnect and in a way trap the main character. If it happened in the past it sets a limit, a beginning and an end, and makes us feel like these events are closed off (remember this is is just my opinion, I might be completely wrong and you're free to do with it what you will).

Also like I said I like the idea, plus the events were legit creepy (just hard to feel because of the writing). And yeah you kinda do have to repeat yourself, I can't read all your previous stories to avoid redundancy from my comment. Although I do know that feeling, so yeah it sucks but I can't help it if this comment comes back.

Keep it up though, every story is a step forward.

Login or register to comment