• Published 2nd Sep 2017
  • 1,715 Views, 28 Comments

Fairytale Bliss - fallen starr



After dating for a few months, Twilight and Flash realize they aren't a perfect match. Twilight needs to find a way to get over her heartbreak. Luna believes she knows the perfect example from her past.

  • ...
13
 28
 1,715

Realization

Just as suspected, Luna was in the kitchens pouring herself a cup of coffee. Her eyebrows rose slightly, showing her surprise. “I did not expect to see you again so soon.”

Twilight gave her a sheepish look as she picked out a cereal. “Flash came to see me today.”

Luna gave her an appraising look. “Did he?”

“Yeah.” She swallowed. “I’ve been a little out of sorts because of it. Celestia gave me something to think about, too. A question that I don’t know the answer to.”

Now Luna looked toward the pastries, eyeing each with scrutiny. “Is that so?”

“It is.” Twilight bit her lip for a moment before taking a deep breath, plunging the spoon she had been holding into her now full bowl. “Will you tell me more about Sombra? Your relationship, I mean? How did you fall in love with someone you had known for such a short amount of time?”

The chosen pastry floated ahead of Luna, along with the coffee, as she made her way to the same table the pair had used previously. “I believe something has been misunderstood. I visited Sombra more than that month long stay. It wasn’t until Sister discovered our romantic inclinations that she disapproved. Despite her misgivings, she was still upholding the treaty our nations had signed.”

“Oh.” Twilight licked her lips and looked down at her bowl of cereal. “I thought you had the two meetings, once for the treaty and once as the party, and the letters.”

Luna chuckled. “Let me tell you of my favorite time,” Luna said. “It was summer in the Crystal Empire, and the Empire, and it was at its peak under Sombra’s rule. Everything glistened like bright sunlight after a rainshower…”

The meadow, if it could be called that, was a small place in the palace gardens. The public was prohibited from visiting this part, so on a warm, sunny afternoon, Luna and Sombra stole away. No meetings, nothing to rule, not a worry that wasn’t each other. They were just two ponies.

They sat, her dark blue coat pressed against his grey one, with small serene smiles on their faces. Most days didn’t have a minute to afford spare time, let alone whole half-days, but this had been a special arrangement. After a time, he stretched and laid in the sun, eyes closed.

Luna brushed the fur of his cheek. “This is what we should have always.” He opened his eyes a sliver to look at her. “Time to be together.”

He sat up took her hoof, holding it to his cheek. “So long as the stars twinkle and the moon looks down with a smile, we shall be together. Eternally.” He leaned in and rested his forehead against hers. “Soon, you will be Queen. Soon, we will be an unstoppable force, and who could tell us not to steal away like this?” Then he pulled away, looking deep into her eyes. “I love you, Princess Luna of Equestria, Mistress of the Moon and most beautiful mare in the world.”

Her cheeks burned with a blush. “I shall tell sister of our plans upon my return.”

“I have already told you how sister reacted upon discovering my plans and how eventually I stopped receiving letters.” With a sigh, Luna shook her head. “Looking back on my memories, I can see clear signs of the path he was treading. I was blinded, at the time, to it. Sometimes I feel that if I had married him, his fall would not have happened. Nor mine. Ripping us apart, as Sister did, tore the wound that was starting to heal. There is simply no way to know.” Luna shook her head, clearing away her introspection. “I do apologize, Twilight. I do not believe I can help you with this matter anymore.”

Twilight sighed. “Relationships are as messy and unpredictable as friendships, it seems.”

“So it does.”

“Celestia found me in the library after a couple bouts of crying and subsequent self-assurance over sending Flash away. I still have to give him a firm answer. She gave me some advice.”

Luna leaned forward. “What was that?”

“She asked if I wanted Flash Sentry or if I wanted a special somepony.” Twilight stared into the remnants of milk in her bowl. “I don’t know the answer.”

Twilight looked up when Luna took her hoof. “I believe, Twilight, that is answer enough.”


The desk in her castle was littered with crumpled bits of parchment. Small piles of them fell around the desk and onto the floor. When you could see a word, it was crossed through, or tear stained, or otherwise difficult to read. Twilight sat, eyes rimmed red, staring at the blank parchment in front of her. “I don’t know what to write,” she whispered. “I don’t want to do this.”

She turned her watery eyes to the only other pony in the room. Cadance gave her a small smile. “Then don’t, sweetheart. No one said you had to give it up.”

“Celestia was right. I don’t want him back. I just want what the relationship provided.” She swallowed. “I also don’t want to hurt him.”

Cadance rubbed Twilight’s back for a moment. “Do you remember when you were just a filly? You were really upset because you couldn’t find Smarty Pants so we went to the store to buy you a new doll. Do you remember what you said?”

Twilight nodded. “None of them were my Smarty Pants, so none of the others were good enough.”

“Ding-ding! What a smart little filly.” Cadance ruffled Twilight’s mane, the other mare swatting at her hoof. “So maybe you want a special somepony. Why can’t Flash fill that role? Maybe you’ll get to where it needs to be him, and maybe you won’t. You didn’t have a doll again until we found your Smarty Pants and, while you did scold her for running away, you still took her back.”

“This is a real pony, Cady.” Twilight let her head hit her desk.

Cadance brushed Twilight’s hair away from her face. “Do you know how Shiny finally convinced me to say yes?”

Twilight frowned. “Did you ask him out?”

“That is not the point. Writing a letter from the heart. Saying what you feel, whatever that might be, whatever sort of confused mixed-up-ness is in there, just put it out there. Tell him everything. Tell him you’re unsure but you want to try. Or that you don’t want to risk it and would rather things stay as they are now.” Her voice lowered, softening. “It won’t ever be like it was during those three months again so it can’t hurt to at least try.”

“Okay.” Twilight nodded, sitting up and clearing away all but the one parchment on her desk and the quill, gripped tightly in her magic. “Okay.”

Dear Flash Sentry,

Author's Note:

And...that's it! Let me know your thoughts, please.

Comments ( 8 )

This was a very nice take on actual relationship problems, and Cady came across strong.

8452859
Thank you very much!

Candance gave Twilight some very sound advice. Things won't ever be the same between them, so just start again and see where it leads. He might be the one, or not, but you don't have to commit to forever right now. Just see where the relationship goes and see how you both feel.

Great story, Starr. Very emotional and very real. I was crying along wth Twilight!

Thank you for a very wonderful story!

8453243
Thanks so much for all the comments! I'm glad you like it!

This was beautiful. So many feels right now and such good advice for twilight. Keep up the good work, starr.:twilightsmile:

8531839
Thank you! Also, I like your icon.

Damn, I really, really liked this. I wish I could say more about it, but that'll all come when the judging for the contest has concluded. Your story has been the third i've read, and honestly, I have no idea which is my favorite yet. This story made me feel, and it gave such an amazing and detailed peer into Luna's past.

Damm, this is gonna be hard to decide, lol. Thanks for submitting this to the contest, and thank you for writing something so wonderful.

All of the dislikes are completely unfounded, if you were to ask me, and I don't think Flash's flip from 'its my fault' to 'its your fault' was unreasonable or unrealistic.

8733286
Thank you! I'm pleased you were able to enjoy it!

Login or register to comment