• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 1,780 Views, 74 Comments

The Equestrian Zone - Revenant Wings



Classic "Twilight Zone" tales crossed over with ponies.

  • ...
5
 74
 1,780

Episode 9 - The Changing of the Guard (TEASER)

Celestia stood at the entrance of the balcony, taking in a large sigh. She could hear the crowds outside, ponies filling the courtyard that marked the entrance of Canterlot Castle. There was a large commotion outside, with music and others speaking outside, though the Princess herself was quiet and reflective. A short ways away, her sister, Princess Luna, stood in a dress that few others knew was somewhere more than a thousand years old, preserved by ancient designs. Celestia looked over at Luna and noticed her wearing the dress.

“I… cannot believe you have kept it for so long,” she said quietly.

Luna shook her head. “Do not concern yourself with what I am wearing,” replied the alicorn of the night gently. “Those ponies out there are waiting for you to make your speech as they have all day. ‘Tis a momentous occasion for you.”

“Yes… but it isn’t the same without the rest of them here to celebrate.”

Luna walked over to Celestia and put her muzzle under Celestia’s chin. “I know. It’s been hard for all of us. Cadence has either been shut up in her room for the past week or in the secret corner of the gardens with her vigil. She seems to be unreachable during this time of year. But you… you have to stand strong. If not for them, for me.”

Celestia nodded. “I shall try, dear sister.”

Celestia heard the triumphant fanfare that was due to mark her appearance and walked, in all her regalia and a bright, sparkling dress, out on to the balcony reaching over the crowds of ponies, all standing silent and with bated breath for Her Majesty to speak. A microphone was standing in front of her, and multiple speakers surrounded the courtyard for the best sound quality so that all could hear the Princess’ speech. Celestia took in a breath and pulled herself closer to the microphone and began to speak, hearing her voice echoing far and wide across Canterlot and Equestria.

“It is a pleasure to speak to you all on this, the evening of the first day of my two thousandth year as your Princess. I should hope that my next thousand years, I will continue to lead this fine nation through thick and through thin, and to stand by you all as not only your ruler, but as your kin. I wish for all of you to think of me not as a nigh-immortal being, but another pony like you.

“For, as we gather here this day to celebrate the beginning of a new millennium in Equestrian history, we also gather here to pay our respects to six of you. Two Earth ponies, rulers of the land. Two pegasi, rulers of the air. And two unicorns, rulers of the magic throughout the land. If we were to examine the lives of these ponies, they would be just like you: a farmer, an animal care-taker, a party planner, a librarian, a dress maker, and a weather team member. Yet they have managed to do some extraordinary things. I advise you all throughout this year and the coming years, to remember the strength and courage that these six had, and though they accomplished things that most would only ever dream of, that they were all once just like you.”

“I now read a poet that was a favorite of the late prestigious magician Twilight Sparkle, former Element of Magic:

When I was one and twenty, I heard a wise mare say:

‘Give emeralds and sapphires and bits, but not your heart away.

Give pearls and rubies, but keep your fancy free.’

But I was one twenty; no use to talk to me.

The heart out of the bosom was never given in vain

‘Tis paid for size aplenty, and sold for endless room.

Now I am two and twenty and lo; tis true… tis true.”*

The crowds stood silent, as though they knew not what to think of what the Princess had just said.

“I now shall quote the magician herself form a statement she made in her later years,” Celestia continued. “‘Do not give your lives to meaningless pursuits of greatness, for greatness is not searched for and found, but searches for and finds. Instead, give your lives to your talents and your abilities, and delve into them with all your heart. Even the smallest of you has something to give if you give it your all, and if you do this… greatness shall come to you.’ My little ponies: stay true to your talents, your marks… and yourselves. I see in front of me a crowd of little ponies, some young and some old, who I have watched over from the very first day. I have a feeling that potentially all of you will grow to become fine young mares and stallions who will make their marks and leave their marks, as the Elements of Harmony have done so long ago.”

Upon finishing with her little speech, Celestia backed away from the microphone and bowed her head in respect as the crowds thundered their approving applause towards her. Celestia waved to the masses for a short while before the bands struck up again and the Solar Princess retreated into the quiet hallways of Canterlot Castle, where Luna stood with an approving smile.

“You did well, dear sister,” she said.

Celestia sighed and smiled back. “Come. We should find Princess Cadence and join her vigil for a moment. The celebration of my two-thousand year reign has fallen at a bad time.”

* * *
Princess Celestia: an old, wise ruler of Equestria and guide to the younger residents of her land who is about to discover that life still has certain surprises even after two thousand years… and that the grounds of the ancient Canterlot Castle lie in a direct path to another kingdom…
The Equestrian Zone.*
* * *

Author's Note:

* These items have been taken (near) verbatim from the original Twilight Zone episode The Changing of the Guard with minor changes.

NOTE: This chapter is not yet finished. Due to the fact that this episode is one of the harder episodes to adapt, there will be a few portions where I will be following directly along with the original episode - thus writing while I am watching the episode - and will take longer than I thought. For now, enjoy this teaser and be aware that this is only the prologue to the next entry and will be taken down when the full version is completed.

Comments ( 14 )

1850574

1. Dark

2. Suspense

3. Mind-blowing

4. Ponies

5. Thrilling

6. Reading the mlp version of the twilight zone without waiting until 5 in the morning

7. A good read

8. MLP is always good to read

9. Trixie approved :trixieshiftright:

10. Big Mac Tested :eeyup:

I'm not going to bring up Twilicorn, since this is an alternate universe, so that isn't even relevant.

Moving on, I look forward to this one. I haven't had a chance to watch any classic Twilight Zone's yet, but when I get the chance, I totally will.

1850574 I have one: Because fuck you.

(It's a joke)

2324058

Twilicorn probably will not show up in any of these; no idea currently would fit her as an alicorn.

2325470 True. Unless you do some weird "bad future" story where a character gets zapped into the future.

2325480

There are some stories like that in the Twilight Zone canon, but they are some of the harder ones to adapt. The Changing of the Guard is one of the harder ones yet and I had to use the absence of Twilicorn in order to do it.

2325582 Makes sense. It would be neat if she showed up, but if it ruins the story then forget it.

These are awesome BTW. Except maybe "I Am the Night, Color Me Luna". For some reason that one REALLY pisses me off. I guess because everyone acts like a total idiot through the whole story. I hate those.

2325599

I'll admit, it's not my best. The way the plot worked was mostly so I could use Luna in one. :applejackunsure:

2327072 Damn. Wait. Why not use Luna in "A Nice Place to Visit"? Wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever? Luna in charge of hell?

2327087

I don't know why... but I like using Celestia as a villain. :rainbowderp:

2327214 Eh to each they're own.

I'm personally sick of it by now it's been done so much.

2328844

Well, you're in luck: Changing of the Guard has her as the (much more) sympathetic protagonist.

2329223 Oh good. That's a relief.

To Serve Ponies, With humans filling the roll of the aliens.

Login or register to comment