• Published 24th Jun 2017
  • 1,073 Views, 8 Comments

A Brand New Beginning - StoryWeaverKP



Flash Sentry is starting college, and things are going to be different than they were before.

  • ...
4
 8
 1,073

A Beginning Realized

Chapter 6 A Beginning Realized


The longer that Flash stood there, the more crushed his soul felt. It didn’t help matters that Sunset stared back at him with the same sense of helplessness. What was she even doing here, in front of his door? Didn’t she have a boyfriend she needed to go rub up on? Anguish buzzed in his ears, and a whirlwind of dizziness spun behind his eyes.


What else was left to be said? What was he supposed to do? No matter what ideas came to mind, they shriveled into obscurity. Flash’s hand rested on the door handle, and it would only take a little effort to gently shut the door in front of him. Impulses zapped down to his hand, and yet he couldn’t bring himself to do that.


Flash opened his mouth to speak, and Sunset’s eyes opened wider in result. His voice croaked. Time stood still, and the longer that she and he remained there, the worse this feeling of uncertainty became.


Sunset’s eyes were just so beautiful, and being in their line of sight sent violent shivers through his skin. Had she been in the hallway when Aria had started shouting?


He back stepped out of the way of the door into the safety of his room, and yet he still held the door knob. The room remained opened to Sunset, although he was concealed. Flash drew in several deep breaths, and he whispered, “Get it together man. Do something. Say something, anything.”


Anxiety waivered within him, and he slowly eased back into view. He just knew that she would be gone. She would have taken his retreat back into the room as a form of weakness, rather than one of gaining composure, and he would be even further from fixing this disaster of a friendship.


Flash jumped back a little. Sunset was in the doorway, gazing at him with a sense of urgency. She had both of her hands clasped together in the middle of her chest.


“C-can I come in?” Sunset asked.


Flash nodded and opened the door wider. Sunset moved inside. Much of the room had become darker, but the fading light from outside cast some illumination. Flash closed the door, and then flipped on the light switch.


Sunset stood in the middle of his room, not looking at him, but at his décor. Instead of disturbing her, Flash placed his back against the door.


“You have a nice room,” Sunset said. Her voice was a little breathless. “It’s tidier than I thought it would be.”


Flash filtered spit into his mouth, as his tongue had become like sandpaper. “Uh, yeah. My mom used to get on to me as kid for having a messy room. She straightened me up good.”


Sunset said, “She sure did.” She kept glancing around the room until she laid eyes on the bed.


The covers were a little disheveled, and she moved over to smooth out the blanket. As soon as it was in order, Sunset sat on the edge of the bed. She still didn’t look at him though.


Flash stayed by the door, and he kept landing his attention on her, but then switched it to another random spot in the room.


“So…” She began.


Flash peered at her, and his breath billowed within him.


Sunset played with some of her hair with her index finger. “I found out what you and Rarity talked about.”
Flash chuckled, but shook his head. “Wow, best friends really do tell each other everything.”


“She didn’t tell me exactly,” Sunset replied. “I… uh… well, it’s complicated.”


“You and your friends use that word a lot,” Flash said.


Several fist-sized knots had formed in his stomach, and they twitched with dreaded anticipation.


Sunset reached into her pocket and pulled out a bright red stone. “Do you remember all that chaos that happened at Camp Everfree? Well, I kept this geode as a souvenir…. And it also gives me abilities when I have it with me.”


“Abilities?” Flash asked.


A small laugh escaped her. “Most people would find it hard to believe, but not you. You’ve seen Equestiran magic. Experienced it even. This is related to that, I think. The point is that I can see and feel people’s thoughts and feelings just by touching them.”


Flash narrowed his eyes. “If that’s true, then how did you not know what I felt for you?”


She held up the geode. “I have to have this on me for the powers to work.” She frowned, and then she patted the spot on the bed beside her.


Reluctantly, Flash sat beside her.


Sunset said, “It was after our junior year that I decided to place this thing into a box and forget about it for a while. It was much too easy to just dip into peoples’ heads like they were swimming pools, and I wanted to try and do things the old fashioned way.” She locked gazes with him. “I only just started using it again.”


“Did you decide to use it on Rarity?” Flash asked.


Sunset chuckled. “Actually, I saw her mind by accident.” She drew in a deep breath and then let out a sigh. “I used it on my boyfriend, to see what he really thought about me.” Her shoulders slumped. “It was a big mistake.”


“Why was that?” Flash gazed at her whole-heartedly.


“I saw everything.” Sunset slowly met his eye-contact. “For one, he totally has the hots for Applejack, in addition to the feelings he has for me. He wants to have us both at the same time. Do you know how awkward it is to know that?”


Flash replied, “I can only imagine.” His eyes widened. “I mean about how awkward that is, not about you and A-”


Sunset’s finger rested against his lips. She smiled, and then her eyes flashed with a hue of the brightest white. A deep coldness flooded through him, but it only lasted for a second.


“Oh sorry,” Sunset said. Her cheeks blushed. “I forgot I had the geode.” She didn’t turn her attention away, and her eyes sparkled with unparalleled splendor.


Flash tried to speak, and yet a husky exhale rushed out instead. Sunset grinned, and she even bit her lower lip.


“Did you-” Flash asked.


Sunset said, “Yeah… I did.” She placed the geode on the bed, and then traced her fingertips against his cheek. This time her eyes didn’t glow white. “Were you really thinking about me while you and Aria made out?”


Now it was Flash’s turn to blush, and he tried to avert his eyes. Sunset maneuvered her head around so that they stayed in focus on one another.


“Please don’t look away,” Sunset said. “You don’t have anything to be ashamed about.” A pause lingered between them. “Y-you really do love me, don’t you?”


Flash swallowed hard, and then nodded.


A sudden nervous chuckle escaped Sunset’s lips, and then she laughed a little more. “Man, this is so complicated. I really care about you, but I…” bits of sorrow flecked into her irises. “I can’t say that I love you.”


Flash’s eyes closed for a moment, and his head started to droop.


“I’m really sorry,” Sunset said. Tears welled in her eyes. “I should have been more honest at the beginning. Having you interested in me felt so nice, and I longed for someone to look at me the way that you did. It was really selfish.”
Flash chuckled, and he gave her his best smile. “You’re right. This is complicated.”


A weak smirk formed under Sunset’s nose. “I’ve come to discover that love is often quite complicated.” She paused. “I’m breaking up with my boyfriend, but I’ll be honest, I would rather have you as a friend.”


The pain inside his chest hummed with vigor, and yet, it had not been as intense as what Flash had expected. Now that it was actually spoken into existence, it was a real life thing. It could be handled, analyzed, and finally… gotten over.


Flash grabbed her hand and gently kissed it. “I would be honored to be your friend. There won’t be any more weirdness between us in the future.”


Sunset tilted her head to the side. “Thank you for being so understanding.”


Flash got up from the bed, and he grabbed his discarded shirt. “I hope you don’t mind, but I have to go.”


Sunset grabbed the geode and placed it in her pocket. “I totally understand.” She paused for a moment. “I hope that Aria is smart enough to give you another chance.”


Flash swallowed hard. “Me too.”


***


Flash gently knocked on the door. His nerved twitched inside him, and an overflow of vomit could spill past his lips any moment.


“Go away!” A muffled voice said. “I’m not in the mood for visitors.”


Flash winced. “Aria, it’s me.” He paused for a moment. “You were right, and I am so sorry.” Tears welled in his eyes. “It’s just that… it’s so complicated.”


The door to Aria’s dorm room swung open, and she grabbed Flash by the front of the shirt. He allowed himself to be pulled inside, and she slammed the door behind him.


“It doesn’t have to be so damned complicated!” Aria said. “I told you I liked you, and I thought you liked me too. Not everything has to be so freakin’ dramatic or overblown.”


Flash replied, “You’re right. And you were right about Sunset.”


A dark glare had creased across Aria’s face. “And so what? I’m supposed to just take you into my arms, just like that? I’m not a second-rate woman! I deserve to be treated with respect! My feelings matter too! I comforted you when you needed me, and yet you still wanted her!” She poked him in the chest. “It doesn’t matter that she turned you down, you’re STILL into her. I don’t want anyone to settle for me. I’m AWESOME!”


Flash grabbed her hands in his. “Yes, you are. You are so awesome. I just had to deal with things in my head and heart, and I won’t lie to you. Yes, she turned me down, and yes I’m still into her.” He winced. “But I want to get over those feelings. Unrequited love is a horrid existence, and I don’t want to live that life.”


Aria didn’t take her hands back, but she still stared at him with uncertain caution.


Flash said, “I want to be wanted and needed. It’s just hard with you and Sunset. She was the first woman I slept with.”


Aria’s eyes narrowed, and her mouth formed a snarl.


“And you were the second and last woman I slept with,” Flash said.


The anger in her eyes dripped away.


She asked, “Really?”


Flash nodded. “I don’t want to just give my body to anyone.” He sighed. “It wasn’t just because I had conflicted feelings for Sunset.” Flash licked his dry lips. “It’s that I’m always a little timid when it comes to actually… going all the way. Don’t you remember the first time we did it?”


Aria chuckled, and sudden warmth resonated within her stance, smile, and eyes. “Yeah. You were so sheepish and adorable. But we’ve had a lot of sex before.”


“Well, yeah, but that was a year and a half ago,” Flash said. “It felt awkward to just jump into it, especially when my heart was pulling in multiple directions. It wouldn’t have been fair to you.”


She didn’t say anything, but she gazed up at him with anticipation. When he didn’t say anything else, she spoke.


Aria asked, “So where do we go from here?”


Flash caressed the tops of her hands with his thumbs. “I want to take it slow. I have feelings for someone else that I am trying to get over,” he paused for a moment. “and I want to develop feelings for you.”


Aria’s eyes grew a little wider and delighted.


“I want to get to know you again,” Flash said. “And one day, it will be more natural to ..” he chuckled. “you know, do more than kissing.”


Aria smiled. “That doesn’t sound so bad.”


Flash asked, “So would you like to go out with me some time?”


“How about now?” Aria asked.


From the next room, a woman with an unmistakable voice screamed out quite loudly.


“Just kiss her already, Jeez!!!” Pinkie Pie said.


Aria chuckled, and so did Flash. They looked at one another for a moment before they started to lean in closer. Just as their lips were about to meet, Pinkie Pie screamed out, “Are you kissing yet?!”


“Yes! Now mind your own business!” Aria replied.


She pushed herself up on her tip toes, and their lips finally met. A small trace of awkwardness still flickered in Flash’s mind, but it was overshadowed by a vibrant cloud of eager excitement. Energy flowed into and out of him. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close, and she anchored onto his neck.


When they parted, Flash glanced down at her.


“Well, this is a new beginning,” he said.


Aria licked her lips before she eased herself back up to him.


The End

Comments ( 6 )

NOOO. But Sunset how could you. Why didn't you take Flash when you had the chance! NOOO. Now your going to be a loner. Great job Sunset:pinkiecrazy:
Anyways I liked this story a lot. I really enjoyed it:pinkiehappy:

8258627 thank you! I'm glad you liked it. I was going to have Sunset take Flash as a bf originally, but it didn't feel natural. I also felt bad for Aria because she had changed and she really opened up to flash. It's not easy to make yourself vulnerable in matters of love, because often it can be complicated. Aria deserved to be happy too, right? :-D

I'm almost done with my next Fanfic, a horror grim dark fic about a yandere. :-D

This was a really good story. A shame i just found it and that it ended so fast. The story had great drama and that was what hooked me to continued. I actually was hoping for Flash not to get with back with Sunset and im glad he didn't. Yet i feel the story needed more.

If you allow some constructive criticism. In the scene were he calls Aria i think instead of hug as you had it it would have been better if it was just to talk. Maybe more interactions of Flash with Sunset and her boyfriend, like he and Aria were haging around and then Sunset, her boyfriend and the girls show up. Another maybe Aria confronting Sunset and actually having some scenes Aria mentions.

But again it was a really good story. The only thing i can say felt pointles was Rarity's chat with Flash.

8412129
Thank you for your kind words and your great critique. This was my first re-entry back into FIM fanfic writing. :) Have you glanced over my other stories? I hope you enjoy more of what I have to offer.

8412298
I have to ask. Does this story has a prequel? i checked your stories and didn't find anything, i ask because of the whole background with Flash and Aria.

8414423
It doesn't. I wanted to show Flash in his college years, and I wanted to demonstrate that things have happened aside from his interactions with the mane 7. :-)

Login or register to comment