• Published 7th May 2017
  • 4,190 Views, 939 Comments

Integration Is Pointless - OutOfTheBlue



How will Jack adjust to his new planet. Especially given he's the only human left after they decided to invade.

  • ...
24
 939
 4,190

Learning

As I walked down the road to the one room school I could here voices talking over eachother. Great, a bunch of rowdy kids all crammed into one room, my favorite. I opened the door and immediately a pegasus with an orange coat and brown mane looked up and hurriedly said,

"Oh thank Celestia! Here, watch the class for a bit. I have to get this colt to his parents!"

Sitting in front of her was a kid with spots all over him.

>Must have been allergic to something.<

~Or has some weird disease.~

Before I could object the mare raced out the door with the foal on her back. I stood there, staring after her for a while before I turned back to the class.

"... Does that happen often?"

The kids just stared until one colt I recognized waved his hoof.

"Hi mister Jackknife!"

"Hey Orange Spice."

I moved to stand behind the teacher's desk and looked at the book on the desk and what do you know, it was written in that weird squiggly writing I couldn't understand.

"So... what are you learning today?"

"Are you a vampony?"

One filly in the front had raised her hoof and blurted that out.

"No, I'm a Nocturne."

"Can you mind control ponies?"

"...I don't think so."

"How about see in the dark real good?"

"Yes, that's why I wear sunglasses during the day."

All the children oohed and aahed at that. I cleared my throat before asking again,

"So, what are you learning about?"

Another filly who just oozed teacher's pet said,

"We're learning about chemistry. Today is the introduction day where we learn what it is."

All the other foals groaned and started grumbling about how boring it was and "why can't we learn about cool things like dolphins and humans." Meanwhile, I was surveying the desk that was covered in various bottles and flasks. Fortunately, the labels were multilingual so I could read which was which. Now, chemistry was one of the few classes I was actually good at. I wasn't very good at the complex math part, but blowing crap up? I was very good at. I found a bottle of fifty fifty alcohol water solution and dipped my hoof into it. I found a lighter, and, after getting the classes attention, said.

"Now I know chemistry can seem boring, but I assure you, many parts are actually quite fun and... safe."

And with that, I set my hoof on fire. The class gasped as flames licked along my hoof and gaped at the fact that I wasn't bothered by it. I waited a bit before quickly waving my hoof and putting out the flames. The class erupted into cheers and excited conversation as I showed them my perfectly fine hoof. One colt raised his hoof and said,

"Do you know any more?"

I looked over the desk before finding some powdered sugar and a bottle of sulfuric acid. I poured some of the sugar into a beaker and poured a little acid on top which quickly turned the sugar into a black goo. This prompted more cheers and I bowed slightly.

"Now, what's the most important thing to remember when doing stuff like this?"

The kids looked around in confusion, unsure what I wanted them to say,

"Never do this at home. It's dangerous. Now, does anypony know what I'm supposed to do until your teacher gets back?"

They all shook their heads. Orange Spice raised his hoof and said,

"Can you light yourself on fire again?"

I dunked my hoof into the alcohol solution and light it. Just as it caught and spread all over my hoof, the door opened and the teacher walked back in.

"Sorry to dump that on you like that, but I really needed to--"

She froze as she saw my flaming hoof. I waved it at her nonchalantly.

"No problem, I was just showing these foals a bit about chemistry."

I quickly waved my hoof, extinguishing it and pulled the envelope out of my saddlebags.

"I was sent here to give you this, but I was happy to help."

She nodded, dumbfounded before saying,

"Y-yes, now then. Would it be too much to ask to drop by after school, say around four, so I can thank you?"

"Okay. See you then."

I failed to notice the reaction the class had with foals drawing hearts in midair and making kissy faces. The door closed as the teacher said,

"So, what did I miss?"

--------------------------------

The mayor was waiting for me, a scowl on his face as I walked through the doors to town hall.

"What the hay took so long?"

"Sorry, I got there and the teacher need to take some kid home so she literally told me to watch the class and then ran off. So I watched the class until she got back, gave her the envelope, and then came back here."

Brooke poked her head out from behind the desk and asked,

"What was wrong with the foal?"

"He was covered with spots. I think he might have been allergic to something."

The mayor cleared his throat.

"Anything else I should know?"

"Yeah, she asked me to come back at four. Something she wanted to talk about or something. Probably wanted to know what I taught them."

Brooke bit her lip as she thought,

Or, she's trying to make a move on him. If I want a chance I've got to work fast.

The mayor nodded and went back to his office as I picked up a dusting rag and started dusting off various objects around the room.

"So, Jackknife, how did you sleep in your new home?"

"Horribly, the mattress was so disgusting looking I threw it out so I had to sleep on the floor. My back's been killing me all day."

Ooh, he's got standards of cleanliness! That's better than most stallions.

"Well, what did you have for dinner last night? Did you check out any local restaurants?"

I laughed before saying,

"No, but given I didn't have any food at the house yet, I didn't get anything that way. Fortunately one of my new neighbors dropped some food off. Their colt, Orange Spice, asked me if I was a vampony, like, straight up, dead serious thought I was a vampony! I actually saw him in class today, he seems like a nice kid. Heck, all of them seemed pretty interested in my lesson."

And good with foals! Celestia, thank you for sending me the perfect stallion!

"So what are your plans for dinner tonight?"

I shrugged,

"I dunno, I'll figure something out."

Alright, it's go time.

"Well how about you come over to my place for dinner? I'd be more than happy to cook for you."

"Hey, thanks! I'd love that."

I went about my work unaware of the victory dance Brooke was doing behind my back. I spent the rest of the day cleaning up the place until I left to go meet that teacher lady.

I opened the door to the schoolhouse and saw her sitting at her desk grading papers. I did the whole polite cough to get her attention and she turned to me and smiled.

"Oh, hello again! I'm terribly sorry about just dropping that in your lap like that especially given we haven't been introduced."

She stood up and trotted over to me.

"My name is Orchard Bloom."

"Jackknife."

"You know, it's not often you see Nocturnes outside of Nocturnia, are you new in town?"

"Yeah, just moved in."

"How delightful. So how are you finding Featherborrow?"

"So far so good, and I hope to keep it that way."

She nodded before smoothing her mane out of her face in an adorable way.

"So did you move here by yourself or did you bring family?"

"Nope, just me."

"Ah, a fresh start in a new town?"

"Basically."

She smiled and stepped a bit closer.

"You know, if you ever want help with anything, I'm more than willing to lend a helping hoof, or two if I can spare them."

~Hey! She could teach you how to read.~

Yeah! That way I can actually figure stuff out!

"Well, if it's not too much trouble, could you teach me how to read?"

She went wide eyed in surprise.

"You can't read?!"

"Well, I can read that."

I pointed to the section of a bottle written in English.

"So you can read Gryphonian but not Equestrian glyphs? How odd."

"Yeah, and it's been a real pain in the butt not being able to."

"Well, what time do you get off work most days?"

"Five, but I was allowed to leave early today because you asked to see me."

"Alright, we can meet here Fridays at five and have some coffee while I tutor you in how to read."

"Sounds like a plan!"

I waved goodbye and headed towards the address that Brooke had given me. When I was gone Orchard Blosom looked in the mirror and smiled while smoothing out her mane.

"Still got it. I hope he wants some 'extra lessons' when we're done."

------------------------------------

I knocked on the door to Brooke's house and she opened it after a short wait.

"Jackknife! So glad you came!"

"Please, call me Jack. Jackknife is a little too long for my liking."

"Alright 'Jack' come on in. I've almost got everything ready."

"Wait, you didn't spend a lot of money making a fancy dinner did you? I really don't think I deserve that much effort."

"Oh Jack, think of it as a 'Welcome to Featherborrow' party."

"Alright, so long as it wasn't too much of a hassle."

We sat down at a table filled with amazing looking foods. There was some sort of creamy potato soup, roasted carrots, salad, and some sort of crispy fry like things with an amazing sauce on them.

"Wow, Brooke! This is fantastic!"

"Oh please, no need to be polite. It's really not that much."

"I mean it, this is amazing!"

We talked as we ate ranging from subjects like our earlier years (which I had to pretty much lie about entirely) to random funny things that had happened to us. Brooke said she was going to get dessert just as I felt it, a cold feeling throughout my entire body.

Oh hell.

>BATHROOM<

~It's your best chance!~

"Hey, uh, Brooke. Can I use your bathroom?"

"Sure, it's the first door on your left."

I darted inside and locked the door just in time. With the usual flash of light, I was human again.

What the heck! There should have been enough magic in the magicite to last for a couple days!

>I don't know, but we're really screwed now.<

~Come on, think! Where can we get magic!~

Well where did Zecora say magic was!

>The air and all the plants and animals in Equestria.<

~Yeah, but won't Brooke notice if a bunch of her bathroom is grey dust.~

Come on, come on!

"You okay, Jack?"

"Y-yeah! I'll be out in a second."

>Come on! What is there in a bathroom that is easily replaceable!<

Wait! Idea!

I turned on the sink and said a quick prayer before sticking the magicite under the stream of water. The water that flowed over the crystal lost its shining, sparkling look and ran down the sink looking drab and poluted. But, slowly yet surely, the crystal began to glow. When it was glowing relatively well, which took a while, I stuck it in my mouth and started absorbing the magic. With a sigh of relief, I was a pony again.

Too close.

>And that's why we need a backup plan at all time!<

~Now how do we explain the long bathroom break?~

>Say you were sick or something?<

Oh yeah, "Sorry that took forever! Was busy being sick in your bathroom! This has nothing to do with your food, I swear!"

~Well think of something!~

As I stepped out Brooke raised an eyebrow,

"Everything alright?"

"Yeah, I had to... clean a bit of sauce off my coat. I noticed a bit spilled on me and I was trying to clean it off."

"Oh, I hate it when that happens. Anyway, I made apple strudel!"

As we ate the (insanely delicious) dessert, we picked up our conversation about funny things that had happened to us. I had just told her about the time everyone in Ponyville thought I was a vampony when she stood up and moved to a couch. She pat the cushion beside her invitingly and I moved to sit down beside her.

As I did, she pushed me over so that my back was facing her and started massaging it.

"H-hey! What's going on!"

"Relaxe, you said your back hurt so I'm helping you."

"You don't have to do tha-aah."

I tensed and then sighed in relief as she massaged a particularly knotted section of my back.

"Oh please, I don't mind."

"Well at least let me do something for you in return."

"Alright, I rub your back, then you rub my back."

"Sounds fair."

As the massage went on, I went from a little tense to basically melting into a puddle at the pleasant sensation. Especially when she started rubbing the muscles between my wings.

"Wow, you're really tense. You needed this more than I thought."

"Uhuh. Izz nice."

She giggled before playfully whacking my shoulder.

"Don't go getting too comfortable on me. You still owe me a massage."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

She flopped down on her side of the couch and I started rubbing her back. She was super soft and fluffy and made cute little humming sounds as I rubbed which was frickin adorable. I don't know how long it was before she stretched and grabbed me with her forelegs before wrapping her hind legs around my waist. She pulled me against her and snuggled into my chest with a happy hum.

Dawww, that's so adorable!

>Cute.<

~Hug her really good! Maybe you can even do some smooching!~

Naw, she's just enjoying the cuddles.

I wrapped my forelegs around her and pulled her closer, allowing her to bury her head in my chest. It was so freaking adorable I think my heart stopped for a bit. But, all good things must come to an end and eventually the clock rang that it was eleven. She slowly looked up and groaned.

"Eleven already?! But it feels like you just got here!"

"Oh well, this was fun! Maybe when I'm more set up I can throw you a party in thanks for this one."

"You don't have to go, you could spend the night here."

"I have things to take care of and stuff I need at my home."

She sighed before reluctantly letting go. We said goodnight and I went back home.

You know, that was surprisingly fun. Brooke is a really nice pony.

>And there was only a little bit of disaster that almost cost you everything.<

~And you got to cuddle a cute mare! Scores pretty high in my books.~

I swear you two are so weird. One of you is all doom and gloom and the other is all lovey dovey all the time.

~Aw, admit it. You like us.~

>More that he'd be dead without us. Well, mainly me.<

Yeah yeah, keep talking.

Author's Note:

Will Jack be able to survive all the mares attempting to seduce him, will he catch a clue and realize they are flirting with him? Tune in next time to find out.