• Published 7th May 2017
  • 4,189 Views, 939 Comments

Integration Is Pointless - OutOfTheBlue



How will Jack adjust to his new planet. Especially given he's the only human left after they decided to invade.

  • ...
24
 939
 4,189

Weekend

The next few days passed much like the others with me going to work during the day and gathering as much magic as possible at night. Come Wednesday and the mayor gave me my first paycheck saying "I'll pay you every other Wednesday. I just figured now you can get some furniture." I'm not sure what the worth of the currency here is but I was able to get way more than I thought and still had money left over. I now had a couch, a bed, a table set with four chairs, and other things like soap and groceries. When Friday rolled around I was pretty excited to finally learn how to read Equestrian. It had been a real pain in my rear trying to figure out what everything said other ways.

I was in the back putting away my cleaning supplies when Orchard Blossom entered the building. I hadn't heard her come in but one mare had.

"Oh hey there Orchard Blossom! What do you need?"

"Good afternoon Miss Sparkling Brooke. I'm just here to pickup Jackknife. We have plans."

"Oh really? And what are those plans?"

"Oh nothing too important."

Brooke leaned in closer and growled at Orchard Blossom.

"Listen here, Jackknife is mine! I talked to him first so I get dibs! So if you know what's good for you you'll watch your step."

"Oh, I'm sorry that I'm causing you worry. I never realized you found me so threatening."

"If you try to pull the sexy teacher thing a bunch of stallions fantasize about I'll personally kick your flank to Canterlot and back."

"Careful! You might blow a fuse if you get too worked up. And we wouldn't want you to ruin you face. Goodness knows it's the only thing you've got going for you."

"Why I oughta--"

It was then that I rounded the corner and spotted them. Brooke was turned away from me so I couldn't see the murder in her eyes.

"Oh hey Orchard Blossom! I was just about to go looking for you. Ready for coffee?"

"Oh I'm always ready. I figured I'd swing by so I could escort you to my home. I figured that was the easiest place for us to meet."

"Okay. I've just got to clock out. Back in a sec!"

As I clocked out Brooke and Orchard Blossom glared daggers at eachother. As soon as I came back I started following Orchard Blossom out the door.

"Bye Brooke, see you Monday!"

After a short walk we reached Orchard's house. It was a quaint two story home with flower boxes under the upstairs windows.

"Wow, this looks like something out of a storybook."

"Well that was the inspiration."

I followed her inside and was soon seated on a comfortable brown couch.

"Cream or sugar?"

"No thanks, I like my coffee black."

Orchard walked back in with two mugs of the life giving elixir.

She set the mugs down and started going up the stairs.

"I'll just get the supplies. Be back in a moment."

"Alright, No rush."

It didn't take long before she returned carrying a decent sized book in her mouth. She set it down on the table and opened it to the first page which showed... I think it was the alphabet? Hopefully.

"This is the Equestrian alphabet. It has thirty-four characters each representing a different sound."

"Okay, so this one has thirty-four while the, uh, Gryphonian alphabet has twenty-six?"

"Yes, we'll start with this one here." She pointed to one at the top of the page, "And work our way to here." She then pointed to one at the bottom of the page. Her reaching to point to it caused her neck to brush against my snout.

Wow, she smells really nice. Like fruit and flowers.

>Which is weird, even though they're technically animals they tend to have better personal hygiene than most humans.<

~I guess ponies just realize how important cleanliness is.~

She walked me through the various sounds each letter made and after a few run throughs I had a pretty good grasp of them. We then moved on to simple words and while I struggled through each one, Orchard Blossom sat behind me, chest pressed against my back, and rested her head on my shoulder while giving me advice and tips on various words that I struggled with. When I reached simple sentences, she went from just resting against me to gently rubbing my back and shoulders and occasionally nuzzling my neck.

You know, it's kind of refreshing how affectionate pony society as a whole is. They aren't afraid to cuddle and hug whereas humans are all standoffish and awkward.

>The ponies are pretty... physical about how much they enjoy spending time with you.<

~Yeah, it's pretty cool. You know, I wonder how different their reproduction bureau's system is here?~

Oh don't get me started on that. With how much time, effort and money you needed to establish a relationship and prove it was worth the government approving, is it any wonder I swore off romance entirely?

>I know, and the girl always wants you to buy her this or that and spend time with her and compliment her and blah blah blah. It's such a waste of resources.<

~Yeah, but there's the good side of it too. You have some one who loves you and wants to spend time with you and you genuinely want to make eachother happy.~

We're talking about the real world here, not some fairy tale romance.

"Well, I think that's enough practice for today, how about you?"

I snapped back to attention as she yawned and rubbed her cheek against my neck.

"Yeah, I didn't even realize how hungry I was."

"Well then, how about some dinner? I make a splendid cucumber and hay sandwich."

"Alright, need any help?"

"If you want to take the coffee mugs into the kitchen for me that would be splendid."

"Can do."

While she made dinner I rinsed the mugs and put them on the countertop. Soon we were eating sandwiches with her pressed up against me on the couch. Although, once again I wondered how all ponies were so soft and cuddly. When we finished, Orchard snuggled into my side and started gently tracing shapes on my chest with her hoof. It tickled pretty bad so I was trying to hold in my laughter before she layed her her down on my chest and gave a quiet hum.

"You know, this has been the best evening I've had in a while. I've always dreamed of somepony holding me all close and spending our evenings reading or talking about things that interest us."

"Well I guess even after I learn how to read I can keep coming over for coffee on Fridays if you want."

"Absolutely."

She snuggled a bit closer and soon was breathing deeply, obviously asleep.

I guess I should put her in her bed? Maybe?

>Why not, she doesn't look too heavy. And then you can use this opportunity to gather as much magic in this part of town as possible.<

~Hooray for helping ponies!~

I carefully moved her onto my back and walked up the stairs, careful not to jostle her too much. I finally reached her bedroom and carefully pulled back the covers and moved her into her bed. I pulled the blankets over her made my way back to the downstairs of her house. Once I left, I realized it was still early, like really early.

It's only six forty!? It thought it was much later than that!

>Well, what are we going to do?<

~If we wanted to go anywhere special over the weekend now would be a good time to plan or get a train ticket or--~

Idea! It only took us an hour and a half to reach Featherborrow and the sun sets around eight, so we could visit Verdant and be there before sunset!

>Sounds good to me, you can gather magic in the forest and not have to worry about being a pony all weekend.<

~And snake hugs!~

It's a plan!

I ran all the way to my house to grab a water bottle and some snacks (in case I needed them) as well as a compass (just in case). I soon was back in the underbrush that I first looked over the town through.

Alright, when the sun was rising I needed to keep it on my right to go North. Now that the sun is almost setting, and I'm going South, I need it at my... right again.

>Sounds about right.<

~I think so.~

I nodded and ran a short distance into the forest. When I was a good distance away from town I jabbed myself with the magicite to keep as much magic as possible. Honestly, it was kind of annoying not having multiple magicite crystals but what can I do. I walked and walked until I heard the waterfall just like before.

I wonder if Verdant is even awake? I really don't know if she's a night owl or if that was just because we were having fun?

>Who cares?<

~Common courtesy does, something you wouldn't understand.~

I walked to the mouth of Verdant's cave home and soon heard a quiet slithering sound.

"Hello, anybody--"

I was tackled to the ground by Verdant as soon as I opened my mouth.

"Jack! You're back sssso sssoon! Thank goodnessssss, I've been sssuuuuuuper bored! Oh, oh! You'll never believe what happened! I found two hurt poniessss in my pool! I think they went over the waterfall. Bit all they do is ssssleep and sssshiver. One hurt her head and the other her leg ssssso I ussssed my plant sssssmartssss to make them sssssalvesss but they're sssso boring. They're alwayssssss cold unlesssss I'm coiled around them keeping them warm which issss alot. Now you can keep me company!"

"Alright alright, let's go see your patients."

She hurried back inside and I followed, dropping my backpack off by the door. I entered the main cave and found two familiar ponies wrapped in Verdant's warm hug.

"Wait a minute. Orchid?! Doc?!"