• Published 12th Nov 2016
  • 13,782 Views, 4,898 Comments

Grief is the Price We Pay - Scyphi



Spike thought he could get them to trust and befriend Thorax. But they didn't.

  • ...
87
 4,898
 13,782

PreviousChapters Next
Compelling Argument

As was usually the case at this hour, the streets of Vanhoover were dim and quiet, largely vacant of any other ponies as everyone else had already returned to their homes for the evening, and probably were going to sleep. Feeling his body gradually growing tired, Thorax felt ready to join them, but for the moment found he rather enjoyed the quiet solitude of the cobblestone streets. It actually reminded him of the night he and Spike had first arrived in Vanhoover three moons previous, and was suddenly feeling oddly nostalgic at the memory. Part of him half wanted to divert to visit the old warehouse they had taken shelter in again, curious to see what sort of state it might be in now, if he wasn’t in the company of Trixie.

Trixie on the other hoof, seemed more indifferent about the state of the streets, though Thorax did notice that she tended to navigate the streets a bit more tentatively and sticking close to the disguised changeling, careful to not stumble in the dim streets. Thorax was forced to recall that a pony’s night vision wasn’t quite as sharp as a changeling’s. To him, he could still see it was dark, and the darker areas of the streets they trotted through were harder to see than the areas lit by the passing streetlight or other light source, but he could still pick out clear details in both with ease. For Trixie though, he could only imagine that the dark areas appeared to her as just dark blotches, the details blurred by the lack of light.

“Getting along okay there, Trixie?” he asked so to make sure she was still managing fine.

“Oh of course I am,” Trixie immediately replied with confidence, as if it didn’t need asking. She glanced into a dark alley as they passed it and Thorax sensed a small flare of unease in her emotions as they went past it. “I’m just realizing that at this hour, these streets are a bit…dim…aren’t they?”

“Well, there are the streetlights,” Thorax pointed out, motioning to the golden glow of one as they walked past it.

“Yes, but there’s still dark patches in-between them,” Trixie argued back, motioning to just such a patch that followed the streetlight.

“All right,” Thorax said, and lit his horn, generating a ball of light at its tip. That ball of light then split into two, the second ball swooping around to hover near Trixie’s head, putting them both in a sizeable bubble of white-cyan light. “That better?”

Trixie grinned. “Yes…not that I needed it, of course.”

“Of course,” Thorax said with a nod, pandering to Trixie’s pride.

Trixie tapped at the ball of light with one hoof. It gently pushed away from her touch then slid back into place on its own. “This is a balled light spell, isn’t it?”

“That’s right.”

“Self-sufficient, thaum-wise?”

Thorax nodded. “So long as I keep the spell active, it’ll stay lit,” he confirmed, motioning to his still-lit horn. “It’ll recycle its preexisting supply of magical energy to do it so no, it doesn’t have to keep draining more off of me.”

“Nice,” Trixie said in approval. “I admit, I never could cast the spell and keep it self-sufficient myself. It just fizzles out after about a minute once it uses up too much energy for me to maintain.” She then gave Thorax a smug grin. “But on the upside, it did lead me to adapting the spell into casting a sort of magical firework like the ones you saw at the show.”

“Creativity at its finest,” Thorax said in support, grinning. “You made the best of it.”

“Yeah, but I kinda wish I could cast it properly like you clearly can.” Trixie glanced at Thorax. “Now I know I’ve already said it, but I’m going to say it again; you’re fairly talented at magic.”

“I’m really not,” Thorax persisted modestly.

“Says the pony who had the fast reaction skills to grab three falling jars simultaneously the moment before they hit the ground with his magic,” Trixie began, “who not only was able to work out most of the spells I used in my acts at the show just from watching it once, but then proceeded to give me frankly brilliant advice on how to refine and improve nearly all of them too, and can cast a number of spells even the Great and Powerful Trixie cannot—no easy feat!” Thorax only chuckled at that and didn’t comment. “Seriously though Thornton…is there anything you can’t do?”

Thorax thought for a second. “I can’t teleport.”

“Well, neither can Trixie, so we’re even on that much,” Trixie replied. A beat of silence passed as they turned a corner before Trixie spoke again. “Where did you study magic anyway?” she asked.

“I’m mostly self-taught actually,” Thorax answered simply.

Trixie blinked at this. “Really?” she said, impressed. “Well, that suggests an inherent skill in magic…Starlight Glimmer’s like that too, more self-taught in magic than much else.”

“I’m sure she’s quite a bit more fluent in magic than I am,” Thorax reasoned.

Trixie shrugged. “Starlight’s forte is more in experimental magic anyway, not so much in the illusionary arts like you and me.” She paused. “Actually, I don’t meet many ponies who as versed in illusion as you are.”

“I think you told me that already.”

“I’m just saying that it’s nice to have someone I can actually sit and talk shop with for a change. I’m still surprised you aren’t actually in the performance trade yourself. Hay, I could use skill like yours in my performances.” Trixie then gave Thorax a sly grin. “I don’t suppose you’d be interested in a career change?”

Caught off guard, Thorax stumbled and looked at Trixie in surprise. “Are…you asking me to…join your show?”

Trixie shrugged again. “Thought I’d throw it out there.”

Thorax blinked and went silent for a few moments to mull the idea over. He was surprised by how he was actually a little tempted to do it. But ultimately he shook his head. “I think I’ll stay here in Vanhoover, if that’s okay,” he said gently. “I think I’m…more needed here right now.” Furthermore, he thought of Spike, and knew he couldn’t actually go anywhere without his dragon friend, and he didn’t think Spike would enjoy or be interested in the life of a traveling performer, to say nothing of the fact that doing so would mean revealing their true identities to Trixie.

To her credit though, Trixie didn’t take it hard. “I kind of figured you wouldn’t,” she admitted. “You seem to have your own ideas on where to go in life.”

“I like to think so, at least.” Thorax responded. “But…thanks for offering anyway. Really. If circumstances were different and I didn’t already have obligations here…I admit I’d be willing to seriously consider it.”

“Well, why wouldn’t you?” Trixie reasoned with a smug grin. “Who wouldn’t want the honor of working with the Great and Powerful Trixie?”

Thorax just laughed. Their conversation then moved on to more trivial things, eventually coming back to the Sky Trek books they both read, talking about what appealed to them about the series, and what they hoped it might do next in future, upcoming, entries.

“You know, we’ve seen a number of different types of captains in the series now,” Trixie remarked at one point. “And they’ve all been a variety of different types of pony. A pegasus, a unicorn, an earth pony…even one of those bat-like night ponies at one point. But you know…we haven’t gotten a notable captain who wasn’t a pony, and I just think there’s a lost opportunity in that, you know, so to shake things up.”

Thorax nodded in agreement. “The series is noted for its variety in characters, so the added diversity that would provide certainly wouldn’t hurt.”

“It opens up a whole bunch of possibilities on who it could be too,” Trixie continued. “I’m thinking they could do a griffon captain or something.” She glanced at Thorax. “Who do you think they should have to be a captain at some point?”

Thorax thought for a moment, debating to himself on whether or not he should really answer truthfully. Finally, he opted to anyway. “A changeling.”

This caught Trixie by surprise. “A changeling captain?” she repeated.

“Well, I suppose it doesn’t have to be a captain,” Thorax relented. “In reality, I’d just like to see a changeling crewmember appear in the series in general and be part of the main cast.” Seeing Trixie’s brow furrow as she pondered this, he added, “I mean that’s definitely something they haven’t done before, right?”

“No, I suppose not…” Trixie conceded thoughtfully. “But…how would it work? The Changeling Kingdom is still very much enemies in Sky Trek…”

“Yes, but must they always stay enemies?”

Trixie considered it for a long moment. Finally, she nodded in mildly surprised approval. “No, I suppose not.” This earned her a small approving grin from Thorax, which she returned. “I mean, encouraging peace is the idea in the series…I guess that would include old enemies.” She then sighed. “Too bad we’re still a far cry from such peace here in the real world.”

“Yeah,” Thorax agreed with a sigh of his own, thinking of the poor relations between his race and Equestria. “A far cry indeed.”

“I mean, just look at that changeling Twilight Sparkle’s hunting,” Trixie continued, making Thorax inwardly cringe to hear the uncomfortable subject come up again. “That’s the opposite of peace between ponies and changelings right there.”

“Makes one wish she’d try hunting less and seek good relations more instead,” Thorax mumbled under his breath.

Trixie heard. “To be fair, that changeling did apparently make off with Twilight’s dragon assistant, and according to Starlight, they were close, almost like siblings,” she reminded. “You can’t really just let that slide.”

“Maybe, but does that really mean one can’t still try?” Thorax retorted. “Instead, it sounds to me that what Princess Twilight seeks is…retaliation by force…as much as she can muster.” Despite his better judgement, he felt compelled to ask. “Do you think the changeling deserves that though? Do you think the punishment matches the crime, or is a bit too extreme, even for a changeling?”

Trixie thought about it for a moment. “I don’t know,” she confessed. “I don’t know the whole story.” She glanced at Thorax. “Do you think that?”

Thorax averted his gaze for a moment. “I think that just because it’s a changeling doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve the same chance at mercy and forgiveness as you or me.” He sighed. “Look, not to bring up a sensitive topic but…you said before you just wanted the chance to change and be forgiven for past deeds…wouldn’t it be fair to offer the same thing to others too, even changelings?”

Trixie thought about it for a long moment. “You really think a changeling would actually take that chance if offered?” she asked.

Thorax hesitated. “I think you wouldn’t ever know unless you try,” he settled.

“Hmm,” Trixie hummed to herself, contemplating upon the problem. “Unfortunately, I don’t know if there are very many ponies who’d be willing to try it. It wasn’t so long ago that they did try to invade the capital of Equestria.” Trixie shuddered. “That was a scary day…I certainly wouldn’t want to do anything to let that happen again.”

“Nor I,” Thorax agreed. “But the invasion of Canterlot was done as a group, following orders from their leader, a sole changeling, and that’s different. What if not all of the individual changelings agreed with it? What if there was one who didn’t want to support the actions of others, who wants to try at peace himself?”

Trixie seemed to only be getting confused though. “What are you trying to say, Thornton?” she asked.

Thorax bit his lip. I’m trying to say that I’M that changeling, he thought to himself. Verbally, though, he said something different. “I just…see a lot of ponies that are willing to doom changelings to lives as hated enemies…just because they’re changelings…and I don’t think that’s right.”

Trixie took on a faraway gaze. “It’s probably not,” she relented.

“So why let it continue? I mean…can’t a changeling change too?”

Trixie was quiet for a moment, mulling what he had said. She sighed herself, dejected. “Look, Thornton, I get what it is you’re trying to say…but I worry it’s an idea that’s still too hard to swallow for some ponies right now. Best we could do is just make do with it for now…sometimes that’s just the best life gives us.”

“It’s not right though,” Thorax pressed. “We can all grow. We can all change. We can all be different and better than we were before…”

“…if only they would let themselves see it.” Trixie remarked, nodding. “No, I still agree with you Thornton.”

Thorax blinked. “Really?”

“Well, you do make a pretty compelling argument,” Trixie replied, giving him a shrewd grin.

The grin Thorax gave back was notably bigger and avid by comparison though, and he maintained it well afterwards too as they continued on with their stroll through the dark streets.

“Why are you so passionate on the subject anyway?” Trixie then asked after some moments of introspection.

Thorax hesitated. “Why aren’t you?” he asked instead.

Trixie thought about it for a moment. “Honestly? Because…I fear what might happen if the changeling causes trouble instead…the sort of damage it could cause.” Thorax snorted and turned his gaze ahead of them. Trixie glanced at him. “You don’t agree?”

“No, it’s not that, it’s just…” Thorax sighed. “I understand that fear. It’s a valid one. It’s just…I don’t want it to be one.”

“Who does?” Trixie remarked. “I mean…fear’s not fun. There are plenty of things Trixie fears that she takes no joy in being afraid of.”

Thorax paused a moment. “Like what?” he finally asked, curious.

Trixie glanced at him for a moment. “Don’t tell anyone,” she began. “But…I might have a fear of heights.”

Thorax glanced at her in surprise. “Really,” he remarked.

Trixie nodded. “It’s not even a reasonable one. I mean, there are some heights I’m totally okay with. Like…looking out the window of a tall building. I’m okay with that, but I’m not okay with things like…standing on the edge of a tall cliff, or looking over the edge of an airship…” she shuddered. “There’s a reason Trixie travels by wagon.”

Thorax pondered the matter for a moment. “Maybe it’s more a fear of falling,” he hazarded to guess. “You’re okay in the tall building because it feels solid to you and you feel safe from falling…but you don’t have that same sense of solidity on a cliff or in an airship.” He shrugged. “At any rate, it doesn’t seem so unreasonable to me. Falling from such a height would be rather unwise.”

Trixie chuckled. “True, and I suppose when you put it like that, it at least does make more sense than a fear of being crushed by a giant wheel…” Trixie admitted. Catching Thorax’s glance of puzzlement, Trixie chuckled. “Okay, so I’ve got an explanation for that one. Way back when I was just a little filly, I was playing with some toys out in front of our house when my dad starts backing his carriage out, not realizing I was out there and potentially in the way. Fortunately, he missed running me over, but only by less than a foot, more than close enough for me to watch the big back wheel of that carriage run over one of my toys, crushing it flat.” She shuddered again. “It was then I realized what would happen to me if I had been in that toy’s place, and it’s scared me silly ever since. For moons after that incident, I wouldn’t even go near any wheel bigger than my hoof. Eventually I learned I was safe so long I was in the right position in relation to the wheel and the direction it was rolling, and that helped me keep a lid on the fear, keep it from getting out of hoof…but even now, the bigger the wheel, the more leery I am around it.”

“Huh,” Thorax remarked. “I suppose I can see your reasoning for that, then. It’s definitely…different though.”

“No joke…all right, so you’ve heard some of Trixie’s fears,” Trixie continued, turning the topic around. “Now it’s your turn Thornton.”

“My turn?”

“Yeah, so we’re both even. What’re some things you’re afraid of?”

Thorax thought for a moment, debating some of things he feared. “Being attacked while submerged in water and helpless to stop it,” he replied finally. Catching Trixie’s incredulous look, he rolled his eyes. “Don’t ask.”

“Ooh-kay,” Trixie said, letting the ensuing question in her mouth drop, unasked.

“I’m trying to get a handle on it, though…so it’s not one of my bigger fears anymore now.”

“What are some of the others then, if I may ask?”

“There’re lots of things that I fear, Trixie.” Thorax stopped to consider some of them. Fear of discovery, fear of harm befalling Spike, fear of being separated from Spike or losing his friendship, fear of losing their employment…most of them revolved around his and Spike being outcasts on the run. One of them was even the fear that Trixie would ultimately betray him and give him away should she learn the truth…but admittedly that fear was growing fainter the longer he associated with Trixie. He glanced at the mare, watching and waiting for him to elaborate, and realized he had come to trust Trixie a great deal in the short space of time they had known each other…he had already entrusted her enough to tell her things he normally wouldn’t to most of anyone else. He wondered briefly what it was about Trixie that set her apart from other ponies, but ultimately decided it wouldn’t hurt to relate one more thing. “I suppose what my greatest fear is…it’s never having made some kind of difference in the world during my lifetime. Something with which to leave my mark…to help make it…” he hesitated, feeling a stir of uneasiness arise within him at the thought. “…better than it is now.”

Trixie went quiet for a very long moment after this. “I have the same fear,” she admitted solemnly.

Thorax glanced at her. “We’ll both just have to make sure it doesn’t happen then,” he stated reassuringly.

Trixie grinned. “Agreed.”

They kept walking, their conversation fading as they were left in deep thought over the matter. A short while later though, they strolled up to the front of Fly Leaf’s shop, dark and locked up for the evening still as expected.

“Here we are,” Thorax stated aloud as they arrived.

Trixie regarded the townhouse building for a moment. “This is where you live?” she asked.

“And work,” Thorax added.

“So you live in the same place you work,” Trixie summarized then chuckled. “Well, I suppose I’m one to talk, seeing I more or less do the same thing. My arrangement’s just more…mobile.”

“But you get to see more of Equestria that way, I would think.”

Trixie grinned smugly. “True, that.”

“Anyway, the front door’s locked up for the night, so I’m going to have to get in through the back,” Thorax explained as he turned for the alleyway that would lead to the back door.

“Ah yes,” Trixie said with a teasing grin, following. “Because you snuck out.”

“Only a little,” Thorax repeated, glancing back at her as they skirted around the building and towards the back porch. “My boss knows, and she’s going to let me back in.”

“Always good to have an accomplice when sneaking out,” Trixie agreed, maintaining her teasing grin.

Thorax twisted his neck back at her so to give her a mocking smirk as he pulled open the porch’s screen door then stepped into the porch to rap on the inner door leading inside. There wasn’t an immediate response, but he could see through the window that the light in the living room down the hall was still on and shadows were moving within, so this suggested Fly Leaf was still up and waiting for him as agreed. Thorax turned back to Trixie, waiting outside the porch and watching him through the open screen door.

“She should be here in just a moment,” Thorax assured. He fidgeted briefly then pressed on. “In the meantime…I guess this is where we part ways.”

“I suppose so,” Trixie replied. She grinned. “It’s too bad. I was starting to enjoy myself.”

“Maybe we can still cross paths with each other on occasion,” Thorax suggested.

“I wouldn’t mind that,” Trixie said, but then turned dejected a little. “Unfortunately, I’m leaving Vanhoover on Monday for the next destination to perform at.”

“Ah yes, the demands of being a traveling performer,” Thorax reasoned with an understanding nod.

“Yeah, it does tend to keep one constantly on the move.”

“Must make it hard to make and keep friends.”

“Well, you learn to get by through other means. Mail and all that, you see. I know a spell for sending mail to and from a continuously moving location, so I get by.”

“Hmm, I think I know the sort of spell you refer to…”

“That doesn’t surprise me at all, considering all the other spells you seem to know.” Trixie then sighed. “Anyway, what’s worse is I don’t expect to be up this way again anytime soon.”

Thorax nodded then strolled back across the porch to the open screen door. “Well then, Trixie,” he said, offering his hoof to her. “It was fun while it lasted.”

Trixie accepted the hoof and happily shook it. “Indeed it was. You take care, Thornton.”

“You too, Trixie,” Thorax replied with another nod of acknowledgement. “You sure you’re going to be okay heading back to your wagon on your own?”

“Yeah, I have my own ways of lighting the way,” she said, lighting her own horn with her magenta magic. She motioned to the ball of light Thorax had cast still hovering near her head. “Though I do wish I could take this with me.”

“Yeah, but unfortunately it doesn’t have that sort of range, it’ll dissipate after you’d get about a block away from me,” Thorax admitted, letting the ball of light zip back to join the original he had been generating on the tip of his horn before ending the spell altogether. “Anyway…travel safe.”

“Will do,” Trixie said with a nod of her own, and turned to go.

Thorax watched her start to go for a moment, inwardly debating. “Trixie,” he suddenly called for her. Trixie stopped and glanced back at him questioningly, waiting for him to continue speaking. Thorax hesitated for a moment, watching her. He was very conscious of the fact that she no doubt thought she knew him well by now but in reality he knew he was otherwise withholding many important things from her, and this weighed more heavily than usual on him. He was thus tempted in that moment to tell her the truth about everything, how he was a changeling in hiding, how he had come here seeking peaceful relations with the ponies of Equestria and so on, the consequences be condemned. But his nerved failed him at the last moment. “Thank you for the invite to the show.”

“Thank you for coming,” Trixie responded. She grinned. “I’m glad you did.”

“So am I,” Thorax said, returning the grin. He sighed. “Anyway…goodbye, then, I guess.”

Trixie shook her head. “Trixie doesn’t like goodbyes,” she stated. “So instead we’ll say…see you around.”

Thorax nodded. “See you around, then.”

Trixie returned the nod then pressed on once again, heading back on down the alleyway and turning the corner. Soon she was out of sight, but Thorax lingered there in the open screen door of the back porch, watching in the direction she had departed in for a long moment, thinking to himself. With another sigh, but a grin still on his face, he then turned his attention back to the inner door only to find that at some point while he had been turned away from it, Fly Leaf had unlocked and opened the door without his noticing and was now standing in the open doorway, watching him with a smug grin.

“And just what sort of time do you call this?” she asked.

Thorax gazed at her blankly for a moment, unsure how to respond. Eventually he leaned out the screen door he still stood in to gaze up at the sky. “Uh, well…judging from the positions of the stars and moon…”

“It was a joke Thornton, c’mon in,” Fly interrupted with a chuckle, motioning him inside.

Thorax stepped inside while Fly closed the door behind him. He gazed about at the dark hallway and listened for any sign of anyone else up and about within besides them. It seemed all was quiet within the shop though. “Spike?” he asked, turning to Fly as she finished with the door and joined him.

Fly grinned, leading the way down the hall. “Never even came downstairs after you left,” she assured. “He’s certainly long asleep by now.”

“Oh,” Thorax said, feeling a little relieved. “Good.”

“So…” Fly continued as she stopped in the living room to put things away. Thorax noticed she had appeared to be reading book on the couch while she waited for Thorax to return from the show. “…was it worth it?”

“Worth it?” Thorax repeated, not sure he followed, lingering in the door of the room.

“The show,” Fly clarified, closing the book she had left on the couch and putting it back its shelf. “Did you enjoy it?”

“Oh! Yes, yes I did,” Thorax assured with a grin.

“I thought so,” Fly remarked with a knowing grin as she reached over to turn off a reading lamp, “considering you had its performer tag along with you.”

Thorax winced as he realized she was referring to Trixie. “Ah, you noticed,” he summarized. “Uh, well, she insisted on coming along…she wanted to make sure I didn’t mugged or anything heading back.”

“Mm-hmm,” Fly hummed in that same knowing tone as she finished turning out the lights in the living room and they both turned to exit the room again.

Thorax frowned, sensing she was trying to imply something, but wasn’t sure what. “I had tried to assure her it wasn’t necessary,” he pressed as he followed Fly into the kitchen.

“And yet, you let her come anyway,” Fly pointed out.

“Well…” Thorax began, trying to explain. “We were talking, so…”

“Is that why you were out so late?” Fly asked as she slipped through the batwing doors leading into the main area of the darkened shop. “I mean, that show ended over an hour prior to now, and it doesn’t take that long to walk back here from there.”

“Uh, well…mostly,” Thorax admitted, continuing to follow his employer.

Fly stopped, turning to face him. She still wore that sly, knowing grin, but Thorax was still at a loss why. “Thornton,” she said gently. “Who stays out so late at night just to talk?

Thorax gazed at her, still not following. “Apparently me, because that’s what happened,” he assured.

Fly rolled her eyes, catching on that Thorax wasn’t following. “Thornton,” she tried again. “did you enjoy the date?”

“Date?” Thorax repeated, and stopped to briefly review the encounter with Trixie in his mind. “…Trixie didn’t have any dates. In fact, I don’t recall her having any fruits, let alone a date…” he glanced back at Fly again. “…but she did offer me a soda.”

Fly shook her head, amused. “You’re so oblivious, Thornton.”

Thorax blinked. “Oblivious to what?”

“Case in point.”

“…oh.” Thorax still didn’t feel like he understood.

Fly chuckled, increasingly amused by Thorax’s puzzlement. “Surely you to did more than mere light conversation this evening,” she stressed. “One doesn’t just stay out this late long after a show’s performance only to talk.”

Thorax blinked owlishly at her. “But that’s really what we did,” he insisted innocently.

Fly gazed at him for a long moment, still wearing that knowing grin. Thorax wished he knew what it was that she apparently knew though. “A girl’s going to get old waiting for you to connect the dots, Thornton,” Fly quipped.

Thorax’s brow furrowed. “I…don’t see what…dots…there are that I need to connect,” he admitted, hoping this would spur Fly into elaborating. “I didn’t even know there were any of these dots to connect in the first place.”

Fly gazed heavenward, shaking her head again. “Did you at least get her contact information?” she asked, relenting to Thorax’s lack of understanding.

“No,” Thorax admitted simply. “Trixie is a traveler by trade and doesn’t have a stable address to be contacted at. I’m uncertain if she even has contact information to give.” He then paused, stopping to review his and Trixie’s conversation. “…though we did briefly discuss mobile mailing spells…but we never spoke about the actual addresses or spell matrixes needed for contact.”

Fly raised an eyebrow at him, still giving him that knowing grin. Thorax privately wished she’d stop, it was getting too perplexing. “Think that perhaps you missed an opportunity there?” she asked.

Thorax just gazed at her blankly. “Um…”

Fly chuckled in amusement, rolling her eyes again. “Go on, Thornton, go on to bed.”

“Oh, okay,” Thorax said, grateful for the end in the conversation and turned to head upstairs. “Good night, Miss Fly.”

“Yeah, have a good night, Thornton,” Fly replied still chuckling as she lingered downstairs to wrap up a few final things.

Thorax hurried on upstairs before Fly thought it prudent to ask him anymore puzzling questions, still at a loss as to what that was all about. This was pushed from his mind as he arrived at the door to his and Spike’s room though, and he slowed to gently nudge the door open, peeking inside. As promised, Spike was stretched out on the window seat with a blanket pulled over him and appeared to be asleep. Nonetheless, to be certain, Thorax slipped into the room quietly, closing the door behind him, and cautiously stepped up to get a closer look at the sleeping dragon. But sure enough, Spike was quite asleep, and didn’t react to Thorax’s presence in any appreciable way. Satisfied that Spike was still unaware Thorax had snuck out at all, not eager to have to explain himself if that wasn’t the case, Thorax dropped his disguise and settled into his sleeping nest, ready to go to sleep himself after the night’s events.

Reflecting back on them as he drifted off though, he did have to concede that, all in all, it had been a good evening.

Author's Note:

Getting this posted a little later in the evening than usual, but at least I have a good reason; I was writing a future chapter and simply lost track of time. :rainbowlaugh:

PreviousChapters Next