• Published 12th Nov 2016
  • 13,822 Views, 4,898 Comments

Grief is the Price We Pay - Scyphi



Spike thought he could get them to trust and befriend Thorax. But they didn't.

  • ...
87
 4,898
 13,822

PreviousChapters Next
Great and Powerful

Vanhoover had one large and central city park that was the best known, but it wasn’t the only park within the city’s boundaries. Scattered throughout it were a series of other, smaller, parks, all fitting different focuses or needs for that area of the city. One of these was in the suburbs of town, slightly smaller than half the size of a standard city block, enclosed by a decorative brick wall with an impressive iron-cast gate serving as the park’s major entrance and exit. Half of the park housed a small community garden as well as a humble playground for foals, but the other half was filled with an outdoor amphitheater, featuring a half-circle of stonework elevated stadium-style seats positioned before a simple stage currently set up with red velvet curtains hiding the backstage from view. It was here that Trixie was set to have her show.

As it was already nearly eight and the show about to start soon, most of the ponies who had come to see it had already found their seats, leaving Thorax as one of the stragglers to arrive at the impromptu ticket stand set up at the amphitheater’s entrance. The ticket-taker didn’t ask questions and simply needed to see Thorax’s ticket to permit him entrance. While he was there and seeing there were a few latecomers that had come but had arrived too late to get a ticket for the sold-out show, Thorax explained that there was a second ticket for a friend who was not coming and offered the vacant seat be given to someone else. Unfortunately, as Thorax didn’t have the second ticket with him (he hadn’t seen a need to bring it at the time), the ticket-taker couldn’t just give up the seat on word of mouth alone. But he did agree to keep this offer in mind in case circumstances changed.

Thorax then went to find his seat. He was expecting it to be some random seat towards the middle or back of the seating in the amphitheater, but was instead surprised to find his seat in the very front row, right towards the middle of the seating and directly before the stage. Clearly Trixie wanted him to have the best view of the show she could offer. But he soon saw there was yet another reason behind it after the “Great and Powerful Trixie” was dramatically introduced via sound system, the mare herself—now dressed in an impressive pointed hat and cape colored in violet and decorated with silver stars and moons—appearing before them in a flash of light and smoke. One of the first things Trixie did after her entrance, allowing the cheery applause from her audience to continue, was to scan the front row, stopping when she spotted Thorax’s disguised form among the seated and could be seen grinning faintly to herself. Even from here, Thorax could sense her gratitude that he was there, realizing that Trixie had fully hoped he would be there. It made him all the more glad that he had chosen to come then, fearing the consequences that may have followed if he hadn’t and Trixie noticed his absence.

The show progressed smoothly from there. Thorax couldn’t help but notice that Trixie carried herself in a very different manner on stage, acting more smug and proud—in line with the description of her that Spike had given to him. And unlike their encounter at the store earlier, she referred to herself in the third person continuously. Being a changeling though, Thorax could see what others could not; that this behavior was part of Trixie’s act. She was basically hamming it up for her audience and it seemed that, save Thorax, they were all none the wiser.

The show was otherwise quite impressive too, indeed showing “spectacular feats” as promised, though all largely of the illusionary sort. As versed as he was in illusionary magic, Thorax was usually able to identify what spell it was and how it was used, eliminating some of the mystery, but that didn’t make it any less intriguing for him to watch. Even when the illusion was plain, it was hard not to get caught up in the energy of both Trixie’s presentation and the crowd’s sense of awe. And it was still highly impressive to see it done, especially for Thorax where such illusions for amusement were a new idea for him.

It wasn’t just the show that intrigued Thorax though, but also the emotions of the audience and not for the reasons one would think (he had actually been plenty sated with emotions prior to arriving). All of Trixie’s tricks were deceptions and thus, technically, lies. She would claim to be doing one thing, but in reality be doing another, only creating the illusion of the claimed spell being performed. But that was the point of the show, and Thorax sensed through their emotions that all of the other ponies in the audience had gone into the show knowing this. Though they didn’t know how Trixie had performed the acts as easily as Thorax could (and Thorax knew he had an unfair advantage), they were okay with that, and indeed, had come so to envision for a moment the tricks actually were real and let their imaginations wow them.

It was a new concept for Thorax to consider, the idea of knowing the illusion existed, defeating the logical need for it, yet wanting to see it done anyway regardless. This contrasted with his past perceptions of illusions and their nature. To changelings, illusions were tools, a means to an end and a way of life—indeed their survival depended upon them. They were to fool the enemy or prey into thinking you were truly not what you were and use that against them. Failure to do so meant that the illusion was useless; there was no point using it for someone that wasn’t deceived. For example, Thorax uncomfortably accepted that he was living an illusion posing as Thornton. The moment Thornton was ever realized to be the illusion he was though, “Thornton” would cease to be useful to Thorax, and there was no point in maintaining the illusion. It was for this same reason that Thorax had ceased using the “Crystal Hoof” disguise.

However, here at Trixie’s show, it didn’t matter if the illusions were believed or not, the audience instead expected to be deceived for their own amusement. It clashed with what Thorax had been raised with, but he ultimately saw it a good thing. It proved that illusions didn’t have to harm, but they could also amuse, entertain, and bring joy, if not several more positive things. If anything, it made Thorax more resolute in the belief that his race could be and do far more with themselves and their skills than they currently did. They hadn’t realized the full potential of what they could do, and Thorax realized during the show that even he had only scratched the surface of that potential himself. If only his race were willing to consider and enact upon it…and Equestria more willing to support them in the effort. Regardless, it just showed that Trixie’s performance, innocent as it was, gave Thorax more than simple entertainment.

Thus despite spending most of the show puzzling out how Trixie had really done it for every act and being able to pick out Trixie’s trickeries most of the time, Thorax enjoyed himself immensely and was doubly glad he had chosen to come. And even he was still occasionally stumped by Trixie’s acts, as some didn’t even use actual magic but rather made use of tricks of light or cleverly disguised and placed props. At one point, Trixie was able to make a rabbit disappear from a small shoebox and seemingly reappear in a simple top hat sitting across the stage. Thorax didn’t know how she did it though other than, despite acting like she had, she used no actual formed spell that Thorax could detect. He assumed Trixie could’ve used some sort of disguised spell to make it seem like this was the case, but Trixie’s presentation of the spell on stage didn’t suggest this. She wasn’t trying to hide that she was using magic; she was actively promoting it, defeating the point of such an action. So Thorax was at a loss as to how to explain it.

But of course the show eventually had to end. When it did, Thorax was stomping his hooves in approval just as enthusiastically and hard as the rest of the ponies in attendance. As far as he was concerned, Trixie had earned it. And after bidding the audience a warm thank you for their attendance as well as a good night, Trixie melodramatically left the stage much the same way she had first appeared; in a burst of smoke and light. The show was considered over thereafter and ponies began to file out gradually. Because of the ticket stand set up at the entrance bottlenecking the way slightly, this departure took longer than normal, so Thorax lingered in his seat for a bit, reflecting back on the show. One part of him was actually a bit disappointed for Spike’s sake that he had missed it. It had been quite a performance, and he loathed the idea that he had to go and see it both without Spike and without Spike’s approval like this. But at the same time, he was also glad he had done so; he still (albeit inexplicably) felt this was where he needed to be.

He did question whether or not it was fortunate of him to linger at his seat for as long as he did though, because as the crowds thinned to smatterings of lingerers, chatting while the rest stood in a shrinking line to slip out of the amphitheater, and Thorax was just about to rise and depart himself, he spied azure hooves stepping towards him from the direction of the stage.

“So,” Trixie remarked with a smirk, still wearing her cape and hat, “what did Thornton the Jar Catcher think of Trixie’s show?”

Thorax glanced up at the mare, rising to his hooves. He had not expected Trixie coming to speak with him like this and briefly considered how he should reply. Or if he should reply at all, Spike’s words of warning echoing back in his mind. There was an inherent danger here. Thorax was convinced Trixie didn’t suspect Thorax of anything and was not actively looking for any sign to the contrary, but that didn’t mean prolonged interaction with her wouldn’t give her the chance to do so. Further, he had been able to justify coming here in the first place completely on the grounds that he assumed (apparently falsely) there would be no chance for this interaction before or after the show. Yet at the same time…Thorax had enjoyed the show greatly, and he did want to convey at least that much to the mare…he reasoned a little socializing with the magician wouldn’t hurt.

So eventually, he smiled teasingly. “It certainly employed a great deal of the third person tense,” he remarked, nodding his head in Trixie’s direction.

Trixie made a brief frown, not following, but then she snorted a quick chuckle. “Oh, that…that’s something of a bad habit of Trixie’s—I mean, of mine,” she admitted. She shrugged. “It does make for a good stage persona when used right though.”

“Oh, I’m not questioning that,” Thorax agreed. “It fits the sort of character you were portraying on stage.”

Trixie raised a self-confident eyebrow at him. “And how do you know this “character” that was on stage isn’t also the real Trixie all the rest of the time too?”

Thorax’s smile didn’t waver. “Because that wasn’t the persona you had when we met at the store. There was still pride of course…but it wasn’t crippling. Far from it, in fact, Miss Trixie.”

Trixie gazed at him for a moment, her other eyebrow rising to join the other one as she regarded him, enthralled by this suggestion. “Is that so?” she conceded. “Well regardless, a fair warning for you; I fully acknowledge I still have at least a little ego running amok in me I haven’t bothered to tether.” She leaned closer. “Don’t tell anyone…but it has acquainted me with the taste of my own hooves on occasion.”

Thorax just chuckled, catching onto what she was implying.

Trixie then changed the subject. “But enough about Trixie; what did you think of the show?

“I liked it, I really did,” Thorax assured, leaving his seat and approaching Trixie so to close the gap between them slightly. “I especially enjoyed the quality of your illusionary magic.”

“Well, of course,” Trixie said smugly, putting one hoof to her front. “One shouldn’t expect anything less around the Great and Powerful Trixie!” She regarded Thorax hopefully again. “And what of that roommate you said you wanted to bring?” She glanced at the vacant seat that had been beside Thorax before he stood up. It never was filled. “Did he already leave?”

Thorax winced, debating again how he should reply as he knew he could only safely say so much on this matter. “He…actually didn’t come.”

“Oh.” Though she tried to hide it, Trixie still sounded disappointed. “Can I ask why?

Thorax continued to fidget awkwardly, knowing there was no good way to explain this, secrets to keep or no. “Well…see…it wasn’t that he wasn’t interested in the show per se, he just…uh…”

Fortunately, Trixie spared him having to explain. “…this is a case of my past reputation preceding me again, isn’t it?” she asked, turning mildly disappointed and dejected.

With a sorry sigh, Thorax nodded. “I’m sorry, Miss Trixie.”

“Bah,” Trixie snorted, averting her gaze as she put on a forced but indifferent attitude. “I should’ve expected all of that to haunt Trixie still. But either way, at least you came. And it was his loss, not mine, missing out on witnessing the greatness that is Trixie!”

Thorax noticed she had lapsed back into referring herself in the third person to flaunt her ego like she had done while on stage, but while he took note of it, he chose not to comment on it for now. “It was his loss, Miss Trixie,” Thorax agreed gently.

Trixie’s grin returned slightly. “You can ditch the ‘Miss Trixie’ junk by the way,” Trixie continued in a mildly teasing tone. “Just Trixie will suffice. Or if you prefer, you can call me the ‘Great and Powerful Trixie’ like many of my fans favor.”

Thorax levelly considered the presented options for a moment. “The latter’s a bit of a mouthful…so just Trixie it is, then,” he concluded.

This drew a laugh from Trixie. “Yeah, all right, I suppose I set myself up for that,” she mumbled in good-humor. She glanced around Thorax at the thinning crowd then let the smug attitude fade again in favor of a more genuine hopeful expression. “So you really did enjoy the show?”

“Every bit of it,” Thorax assured. He tapped his chin with one hoof, debating. “Although…I do have to admit that the act with the tomato was a bit too obvious and not very intriguing in execution.” Trixie frowned at this, so Thorax sheepishly shrugged. “I’m sorry, you asked for my opinion…I thought that included constructive criticisms.” Feeling this didn’t really help, he added, “I just bring it up so to be helpful, if that…you know…helps.”

Trixie’s grin returned slightly. “It does, actually…though it would help more if you could at least give me a suggestion on how to make it better.”

“Unfortunately I haven’t been able to come up with one for that particular act, but I could give you suggestions for some of your other acts. For instance, how about the one with the mirrors?”

“Which one? The one with the laser beams or the one with the smoke?”

“The one with the laser beams. Now, for the record, it’s already pretty good as is. The illusion is simplistic, yet your presentation of it really makes it intriguing, almost gripping. But I have to ask—why use the filmei spell in it? I mean, it works obviously, but…”

“Aw, you figured out my spell structure for it that easily?” Trixie was feigning disappointment, but in reality seemed more amused by Thorax’s observations. Thorax suspected the fact he could pick out the details of such illusions with such ease was still impressive to her, or at least wasn’t something that happened to her often. Whatever the case, Trixie continued with an explanation for the act’s construction. “Obviously, the spell’s there so to urge amazement from the audience while performing it, ensuring their eyes are on the focal point and not wandering elsewhere on the stage where the illusion could be ruined.”

“Right, right, obviously you’re using the spell as a sort of emulsifier, helping to amplify the intended effect and in turn the desired reaction from the audience,” Thorax reasoned. “It’s just the filmei spell strikes me like it’d use a lot of unnecessary power for the given intent…isn’t it exhausting using it to maintain the overarching thaumic mesh of the trick for that long?”

“Well…”

“Why not use the slaunan spell instead? You’d have to rework the spell structuring a little, sure, but it’d use a lot less power while still achieving much the same effect, and then you can afford to refine it further to your tastes, making the illusion that much more convincing.”

“The slaunan spell?” Trixie blinked blankly to herself for a few moments, her egotism withdrawing as her mind considered this. Her emotions suddenly faded at the same time and Thorax realized he had caught her by surprise with this suggestion, having never considered it before. Eventually though her emotions resurfaced, with stunned shock becoming the lead. “My gosh,” she declared finally, one hoof slapping her forehead. “That. Is. Brilliant. Seriously, why didn’t I ever think of that? It seems so obvious, using slaunan instead of filmei!” She started to pat herself down urgently. “I need to write that down before I forget.” She found a quill hidden in a pocket in her cape, but she couldn’t find anything to write on and anxiously looked around for something to use.

Wanting to help, Thorax stuck his hooves in his jacket pockets, looking for something inside Trixie could use. He found an old receipt from a past purchase and handed it over to her. “Here, you can use this,” he offered.

“Thank you!” Trixie said, flipping the receipt over and then hurrying over to the edge of the stage to use as a flat surface to write on. She proceeded to jot down the details of what Thorax suggested. “This will make that whole act a bit less of a headache to perform.” She glanced over at the disguised changeling with a smirk. “Since you seem to be the one with all the good ideas, I don’t suppose you have any other good suggestions like that to make? I may be accomplished at this already…but I’m always looking for ways to improve my shows.”

Thorax grinned. “Well, since you asked…”

They then spent the next several minutes reviewing Trixie’s show act by act, assessing how each trick or spell was used and employed, with Thorax providing suggestions on how Trixie could potentially improve upon the illusions they all respectively created either helping to refine the act, make the performance more efficient for Trixie to enact, or on occasion suggest the use of an all-new illusion to replace the original with the thought it might make for a better show overall. Trixie was soon bouncing back ideas of her own, using Thorax as a sounding board, and Thorax was struck by her unconventional creativity and ambition. This clearly was her element.

They proceeded to do so while the remaining ponies still in the amphitheater vacated the area. Soon they were almost the only ponies left, but for the moment neither thought much of it. Thorax was just eager to help what he truly thought to be an inventive and entertaining performance. Nonetheless, the thought that perhaps he should excuse himself from Trixie’s company and return to the shop pressed in the back of his mind. He kept putting off acting upon it though, always finding some excuse to put off doing it for “just a few more moments.” He was enjoying this conversation about illusions with Trixie. He was forced to admit it that the last time he had the chance to have a conversation this in-depth about the matter was back when he was still at the hive, in the presence of other changelings debating stealth tactics, and he was in no hurry to end it, fully aware that he might not have the chance for it again anytime soon.

Trixie, meanwhile, alternated between being impressed and surprised at Thorax’s continued suggestions. She was stunned by how after only one viewing of her show, he had managed to precisely determine how a large number of her acts worked and wasn’t far off on a number more, yet this all didn’t cheapen the performance for him in the slightest like Trixie would’ve expected. Instead, he seemed more eager to simply assist Trixie in refining the show over all, making what he thought to be an already great show even better, and really seemed to share the same understanding in art of illusions as she did. It was a rare thing for Trixie to find another pony sharing such an interest…but it did leave her with a pressing question.

“Seriously, why aren’t you in the illusionist field too?” she asked finally as they reached the end of the assessment, Trixie having nearly filled the back of the receipt entirely with notes. “You seem to understand how this all works as well as I do, if not better! You’d excel at this.”

“Oh, I don’t know about that,” Thorax said meekly. “I told you before, I’m no magician. I just happen to have a passing interest in illusions.”

Trixie snorted, skeptical of this as she finished her last note and turned to face him. “Hardly! If this is what you call a passing interest in illusions, then Princess Celestia moves the sun only by accident.” She gave Thorax something of a bewildered grin. “Don’t go selling yourself short, mister. You truly do have quite a talent for this, that much is plain…how did you get to be so…well-versed in illusion magic anyway?”

“Oh…well…uh…” Thorax averted his gaze, knowing the only truthful answer he could give to that would reveal that he was a changeling and he couldn’t do that. “…ah…I don’t know…just picked it up from here and there, I guess…you know, as you do while going about your day…so uh…”

Trixie’s brow furrowed in this, not quite believing that could be the case, but it was still answer enough for her. “Just what do you do for a living anyway, Thornton?” she asked instead, curious as she realized this hadn’t come up before.

Thorax, eager for anything that would lead them away from how and why he was so versed in illusion magic, jumped at the chance. “I work in a book and stationery shop here in town.”

Trixie seemed surprised by that. “Really?” she said as she put away her quill, leaving the slip of paper she had been taking notes on out. “That’s all?”

Thorax, not really understanding why that was surprising, could only shrug. “It was the first job that came along.”

“I’m just surprised, because given all this,” Trixie hefted up the slip of paper in her magic, “it just seems like an…unusual job choice given your apparent skills. I mean Trixie’s not trying to judge you or anything like that…it’s just not what I was…expecting, I guess?”

“It really wasn’t what I was expecting to end up doing either, but that’s neither here nor there. The important thing is that I’m okay doing it anyway. I mean, it’s better than places I could be at instead.” The hive came to mind as an example, and indeed, Thorax would take running Fly’s shop solo during rush hour on the busiest day of the year than another day working amongst the continually-ridiculing members of the hive.

“True, but still, I’m not kidding, you’re almost freakishly knowledgeable about illusion magic, and I can’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be anything less than brilliant at casting it too.” She tilted her head at him for a second, still puzzled by this apparent conundrum, but then shook her head, clearing the thought. “I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s just…stunning at how accurately you’ve been able to figure out the inner workings of my whole show…”

“Does that bother you?” Thorax asked with concern, worried if maybe he had crossed a line he shouldn’t have.

“Well…for you, not really, because you’re the first to not only do so to this extreme, but also the first to not be…bothered by it. You know how my every act actually works, yet you still seemed to have enjoyed watching it like you’ve never ever seen it all be done before.”

Technically, Thorax really hadn’t, but he didn’t say so. “Like I explained before,” he said instead. “I don’t really see a lot of these illusions used for casual purposes such as this. So to see you do so actually does strike me as very…creative.”

“Aw,” Trixie said with an amused grin.

Thorax blushed, but pressed on. “Besides, I don’t have all of your acts figured out. There was that one with the shoebox, the top hat, and the rabbit. I’m still not sure how you pulled that one off, beyond that you didn’t appear to use any actual magic. How did you do that one?”

“Well now, I can’t go telling you all of my secrets,” Trixie declared immediately upon hearing this, making it clear she wouldn’t elaborate. She then giggled and studied the slip of paper she had used for notetaking. “I’m kind of glad you came tonight though…your insight is going to be really helpful in making Trixie’s show even greater and more powerful.” She regarded her notes for a moment with a grin then abruptly remembered she had borrowed the paper from Thorax. “I’m okay keeping this paper, right? You aren’t going to need it back for anything, are you?”

“Nah,” Thorax said, waving one hoof. “It’s just an old receipt from a book I bought weeks ago, I think.”

Trixie flipped the receipt over to read the original text so to see. “A Sky Trek book,” she noted aloud, reading the only purchase listed on the slip. She then regarded Thorax with a raised eyebrow. “You read Sky Trek?

Thorax blinked. “Yes. Do you?”

Trixie grinned. “Do I read Sky Trek, he asks,” she repeated aloud, amused by the suggestion. “Actually…” she stopped to glance around the amphitheater real quick. Thorax did likewise, noting that they had been here long enough that all of the other attendees for the show had long left. All who remained were a couple stage hoofs wandering through the seats doing some light cleaning. Otherwise they were basically alone now, which seemed to satisfy Trixie. “…if I can borrow you for just a minute or two longer and you’re willing to keep a secret…I can show you real quick.”

Thorax blinked. “Show me?” he repeated, not sure if he understood, but whatever it was, Trixie seemed secretly thrilled by whatever it was.

Trixie chuckled. “No, no, nothing to be alarmed about. You’ll see,” she promised, and motioned for him to follow her, beginning to walk around the edge of the stage. “C’mon, it’ll only take a second.”

Thorax still wasn’t sure he understood Trixie’s intentions, and unfortunately her emotions, other than bearing concealed excitement, weren’t much more enlightening. Fleetingly he wondered if it was a good idea to go off basically alone into some private corner of the amphitheater with this mare even briefly…or with any pony for that matter considering his secrets. But he still felt certain that whatever it was, Trixie meant him no harm by it. Regardless, Thorax quickly looked his disguise over to make sure it was still operating strongly (it was, and there was no reason to think it wouldn’t be, but Thorax suddenly felt self-conscious about it) before timidly following Trixie, hoping he wouldn’t regret this.

She led him around the stage and then back behind it to where a wagon stood parked and waiting, completely out of sight from where the audience could’ve seen it during the show. Thorax admittedly wasn’t sure what he had been expecting, but the wagon seemed friendly enough in appearance. Painted predominately a purple color with pale yellow trim, the wagon was additionally detailed with star and moon patterns similar to the patterns on Trixie’s cape and hat. Additionally, the window shutters and a spot just underneath the peak of the wagon’s curved roof featured replicas of Trixie’s cutie mark, so it was clear the wagon belonged to the stage magician. The wagon’s backend was already pointed in their direction as they approached, so Trixie walked right on up the steps and through the door that served as the wagon’s only entrance and exit.

“C’mon inside for a second,” Trixie said, inviting the disguised changeling to follow her as she cheerily did this. “Do excuse the mess, but nopony ever said brilliance was always tidy!”

But Thorax hesitated outside the wagon for a second, not really sure if it’d be proper to step inside despite being invited. Spike’s words of warning came echoing back in his mind, and this time he felt a bit more inclined to follow them if only for the precaution. Yet, as Thorax continued to sense Trixie’s emotions, which continued to be nothing but warm, friendly, and excited about something, it was hard to see how she could mean any ill-intent. Further, there really wasn’t much evidence for it given Trixie’s behavior up to now. His hesitation did feel a bit more like it was bordering more on paranoia than on an actual cause for concern.

Still…there was a changeling saying which states, loosely translated, that it was better to be paranoid and flee the possibility of danger, than to be heedless and end up harmed needlessly.

Eventually, when Thorax still hadn’t entered as invited and remained lingering uncertain outside a couple feet from the wagon after a few moments, Trixie noticed and reappeared in the doorway. She smirked at him. “You going to stay out there all night, or what?” she teased. “I’m not going to bite or anything.”

Thorax gazed at her innocently. “I am just not sure if it’d be…appropriate…for me to enter like this,” he explained.

“Appropriate?” Trixie remarked, tilting her head at him in puzzlement. Realization then seemed to strike and she giggled. “Oh, I get what you mean. I suppose, out of context, it would come across like that, wouldn’t it? I hadn’t even stopped to think of that, so good thing one of us was.” She rolled her eyes upwards trying to puzzle out a solution while Thorax debated to himself if she actually was thinking of the same thing as he. “Unfortunately, it’s not really something I can just bring out here to show you…well, unless…just a moment.” She retreated into the wagon to work with something out of Thorax’s angle of view. “I do appreciate your modesty at any rate!” she called back as she did this. She laughed. “Though the last stallion I invited into my wagon sure didn’t ask questions and just jumped at the chance, and I didn’t even like him! I just needed to talk pricing about the produce he was selling and it was easier to hear him in the wagon than in that noisy marketplace we were at! Boy, did he ever think it was for something different, though!”

Thorax blushed as he realized finally what she thought his hesitation was about. “That’s not actually why I…”

“Here we go!” Trixie suddenly declared, opening something within her wagon. “Now so we’re clear,” she urged as she did this, “most ponies don’t know anything about this and I’d like to keep it that way, so I don’t want you breathing so much as a word about this to anyone else, okay?”

Thorax nodded, but was still confused. “I don’t understand though, what’s in there that has anything to do with what we we’ve been talking about?” he asked.

“Oh nothing much,” Trixie said brazenly as she stepped back out of the wagon and approached Thorax once more, something held aloft in her magic. “Just things like this.”

She floated the object over for Thorax to see, the disguised changeling taking it into his hooves to hold. He immediately saw it was a Sky Trek book, the first in the series. Not quite a first edition, but still an early enough of a copy that it was printed with the original cover art that Thorax was so found of. He ran a hoof over the cover, worn on the edges but still in fair condition, and glanced back up at Trixie, wondering if she was implying what he thought.

She was. “The rest are inside,” she stated simply with a smug grin, jabbing a hoof back at the wagon, before turning and trotting inside once more.

This time Thorax finally relented in following, his curiosity perked, and cautiously trotted up the wagon’s step to peek in through the open door. Inside he found small but cozy living quarters, realizing the wagon served as Trixie’s mobile home of sorts. At the other end of the wagon from where he stood was a single bed, the covers currently unmade from its last use. A window hung over it and another shelf filled with knick-knacks was above that positioned near the roof. To his right was a small kitchenette and wood stove, another window hanging over it while nestled between two cabinets, and also bore a sink and a magic-powered mini-fridge. Next to the kitchenette and right beside Thorax was what at first appeared to be a closet with the door ajar, but then he spied a tin washtub and a bottle of shampoo just inside of it and realized it also doubled as a bathing area when on the move.

To his left was another window identical to the one on the right under which sat a small table and seating for two. A half-eaten plate of peanut butter crackers sat atop of it, leading Thorax to recall Trixie previously mentioning she tended to snack prior to a show. Beside this small table and right next to where Thorax stood was a small writing desk, with shelves mounted to the wall adjacent to the wagon’s entrance, but with a locked cabinet also hung directly over the writing desk itself. It was this cabinet that Trixie was at now, having already undone the lock with her magic and holding the cabinet open for Thorax to see inside.

“This answer your question on whether or not I read Sky Trek?” the magician asked with a smirk.

Thorax peered inside the cabinet for a second, his eyebrows going up. “Well, clearly the answer is yes,” he remarked aloud without thinking. The interior of the cabinet was broken up into a series of shelves. Part of the lowest shelf contained manila folders with paperwork in them next to a little safe just barely small enough to be crammed onto its shelf. The rest of the cabinet space however was filled to the brim with many Sky Trek books, and after a quick glance through the many titles, Thorax realized Trixie possessed most of the series from start to the most recent entry. Thorax couldn’t help but whistle at the sight, impressed. “That’s…quite the collection you have.”

“Yeeeeah, I’m something of a long-time closet fan of the series,” Trixie admitted sheepishly. “I…try not to broadcast it too loudly to other ponies though.” She then narrowed her eyes seriously at Thorax. “Which, again, means most ponies don’t know this about Trixie. Do NOT tell anypony about it.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Thorax replied with a grin. He put one hoof on one title, frowning at the scuffing on the binding. “I assume you get some of these pre-owned though? They seem a little beaten.”

“Actually, they regrettably got a bit banged up after my last wagon was…crushed,” Trixie explained vaguely. She was frowning. “I’m still a bit miffed about that, but I guess I should feel lucky they survived that incident intact at all.”

Thorax moved his hoof to rub respectively at the spines of the early entries in the series, pleased to see that the first entry in the series wasn’t the only one Trixie had that bore the rarer original cover art. “I’m just jealous you have all of these…I’m only just beginning to personally collect the books myself.”

Trixie grinned. “I just thought I’d show them to you, since you’re a fellow Sky Trek fan and all and could relate.” she mumbled aloud, suddenly timid.

Thorax chuckled a little. “Actually, on that you’ve got me beat still,” he admitted. “I mean I love the books to death too, but I’m still reading through the series for the first time myself. At the moment, I’m only as far as…” he gazed at the titles in Trixie’s cabinet then tapped his hoof on the spine of the book in question. “…here.”

Trixie raised her eyebrows approvingly. “Still most of the way into the series though,” she noted with a nod. “And the series has gotten so big now obviously it’d take any reader some time to get through them all.” She glanced at Thorax. “When did you start reading the series, then?”

Thorax had to stop to think about it for a second. “About…one and half to two moons, I think?”

Trixie’s amusement suddenly vanished, and she regarded Thorax for a long moment in silence, staring at him with wide, doubting, eyes. “You seriously haven’t read that much of the series in only two moons,” she said.

Thorax reviewed the time that had passed since he was first introduced to the series and now. “…yes I have,” he persisted, not seeing the issue. His assessment of the time was accurate.

Trixie continued to gape at him, her eyes beginning to narrow in confusion. It was actually a bit of a comical expression, but Thorax somehow thought it might be a bad time to say as such. “That’s impossible,” she persisted. “It’d take me over a year to read that far into the series myself!”

Thorax shrugged. “But that’s really how far I am,” he pressed.

Trixie eyed him suspiciously, wondering if he was pulling her leg. “Babel,” she suddenly stated brusquely.

Thorax blinked, not understanding. “…I’m sorry?”

Babel,” Trixie repeated. “That was the name of an entry in the series. What was the plot summary of Babel?

Thorax frowned, not sure he understood still, but after only a brief pause, confidently answered. “That was the one where everybody aboard the sky station were slowly getting infected by a virus that made them babble incoherently. As I recall, they eventually figure out that it was artificially made by an old resistance group from before the station came into Equestria’s possession, and have to work to get an antidote from a member of that group before the infection spreads too far.”

Trixie nodded to herself for a moment, approving of Thorax’s summary, but still didn’t seem entirely convinced. “Now The Drumhead.”

Thorax rolled his eyes upward as he recalled that particular entry in the series. “Uh, that’s the one where they caught that griffon spy aboard the airship and they brought the investigator lady aboard for a hearing, but it eventually becomes something of a witch hunt when she starts searching for a greater conspiracy that didn’t exist,” he related then tilted his head at Trixie. “Why are you asking?”

“I’m checking to confirm you’ve really read as far into the series as you claim in such a short space of time,” Trixie explained. She frowned, her expression a mixture between confusion and impressment. “So far it seems you have, but…” she trailed off.

“Oh, okay,” Thorax stated simply, understanding her intentions now. He then grinned. “By Any Other Name.”

Trixie blinked. “…what?”

Thorax kept grinning. “It’s your turn now. By Any Other Name.”

Trixie looked at him blankly for a second. Then she started to grin herself. “Well, let’s see…that’s the one where they find the scouts, or travelers, or whatever…actually, conquerors really…from the really far off land that then use their powers to force control of the airship and then enhance it for the long journey back to their empire so to report what they found or something like that.” Trixie waved her hoof about aimlessly. “…I remember it had them transforming members of the crew into these dodecahedron things…?”

Thorax nodded in approval. “Close enough.” Still grinning, he motioned for Trixie to proceed.

Trixie’s grin grew. “Okay then. The Time Trap.”

“Ooh…uh, that was the one where they get caught in this magic pocket dimension containing an airship graveyard with an enemy griffon airship, and they are forced to work together to escape again before they are trapped there forever. It was one of the more so-so entries in the series, if I’m honest…but anyway. Uh…Explorers.”

“Hmm…isn’t that the one where they built the old-style sail-powered air yacht to prove ancient explorers had successfully done the same thing millennia back?” When Thorax nodded, Trixie grinned, and considered her next move. “All right then…The Best of Both Worlds.”

Thorax snorted. “Oh c’mon, that’s an easy one.”

Trixie’s grin turned into a smug smirk. “Oh really? All right then, instead do…uh, Time’s Arrow.”

Thorax had to think about it for only a moment. “That was the one where most of the crew semi-accidentally goes back in time so to stop a plot by time-travelling beings to feed off the life energies of ponies of the era.”

Trixie laughed, growing further impressed. “All right, I’m convinced, you really have read that far into the series, and might actually be better versed in it than I am.” She then kept grinning but tilted her head at him, confused. “But…all that reading in just two moons? Who do you think you are, Twilight Sparkle?”

Thorax blinked, caught by surprise by the use of the familiar name. “The princess of friendship?” he asked, then, to dissuade any connections between him and the princess he knew was still searching for him, added, “I wouldn’t know, I’ve never met her.”

Trixie snorted, proceeding to close the cabinet containing her book collection. “Trust me, you aren’t missing much,” she said in a mildly heated tone.

She fell silent as she locked up the cabinet again, but Thorax sensed irritation in her emotions towards Equestria’s youngest princess. From what Thorax had been told about Trixie’s past by Spike, Thorax wasn’t entirely surprised by this, but the emotion was stronger than he anticipated and wondered for a moment if the whole matter bothered Trixie more than she had let on previously. He felt obligated to say something about it, but knew that it was a subject he should keep himself distanced from due to being in hiding, and his mind urged him to leave it alone.

Despite this inward reprimanding, Thorax still found himself all-but blurting out: “You sound like you don’t hold her in high regard.”

Trixie snorted again as she turned to face Thorax. For the first time, her prideful bravado was truly gone, replaced with a more sullen and sour expression. “I don’t,” she admitted. “Sure, she’s done great things for ponies I could only ever hope to achieve myself…even I can’t deny that. But it’s…it’s a bit of a long story.”

Thorax’s mind continued to urge him not to do it, but his mouth couldn’t seem to hear. “I’m willing to listen…if you want.”

Trixie was quiet for a moment, gaze turning distant. She wandered aimlessly towards the door of the wagon, but stopped before actually stepping into its threshold. “I don’t know how much that roommate of yours told you about me,” she began finally, “But Twilight Sparkle and I go back a few years…and not in the good way.” She snorted again, turning her gaze upwards to the ceiling. “Honestly, it’s all my fault. I hate admitting it, but I was…not nice, when we first met…” She glanced back at Thorax and the disguised changeling was surprised to see regret on her face. “Remember how we talked about whether or not the personality I show on-stage is the same personality I show everywhere else in life?” When Thorax nodded, Trixie sighed. “Well, the truth is…not so long ago there really was no difference between the me performing on stage, and the me living life the rest of the time.” She frowned, disappointed in herself. “And the reason I challenged your comments about it being a mere stage persona is because I know that ego of mine is still too big for its own good even now. Don’t tell me you haven’t figured that out by now.”

Thorax hesitated. “I did notice…” he finally admitted, drawing Trixie’s gaze once more. He avoided eye contact with a bit of shame himself, knowing this was uncomfortable for the mare. “I avoided mentioning it though, because…” he again hesitated, unsure how to phrase it appropriately. “…it’s not as bad as you’re making it out to be Trixie, it really isn’t. Not now, at least. I’ve encountered worse by far than you, trust me.” His mind went to Queen Chrysalis and decided he indeed preferred Trixie over his former queen any day, no competition. Trixie was at least friendly, and Thorax could tell she was trying to keep the ego from running out of control, and that was the very important difference.

Trixie, however, rolled her eyes. “It doesn’t mean I’m okay with it,” she mumbled, clearly not thinking the same. She shook her head. “Look, my point is that…that ego’s gotten me in trouble a few times. Even hurt a few ponies. In a way, if it wasn’t for Twilight Sparkle and her gaggle of friends finally putting me in my place, I probably never would’ve realized what I was doing, and…” she trailed off.

Thorax sympathized, but at the same time, he realized a dilemma. “I don’t understand then,” he said. “If Princess Twilight assisted in helping you with all of that, helping you improve, then why…?”

“…why am I regarding her as an awful pony?” Trixie finished. “Two reasons. One is that she’s just so self-righteous about it. But it’s the other reason that’s more galling. She says she’s forgiven me for what I did before…but I can tell…she hasn’t really. She still thinks I’m…I’m just a troublemaker who’s always going to cause problems for her or others, and thinks I’m better off avoided.” She stepped closer to Thorax, getting caught up in her tale the longer she talked, to Thorax’s growing surprise. This was a side of Trixie even he hadn’t suspected existed. “And I know, because Twilight has a student named Starlight Glimmer that I befriended recently. Wonderful mare, Starlight, and we just click as friends. We get each other. But the moment Twilight Sparkle found out about it, she immediately tried to urge us to stay apart, that there were better ponies for Starlight to befriend than me. She seemed convinced that all I was going to do was lead Starlight down a path of trouble, and she wasn’t having that!”

Thorax remembered the version of this tale that Spike had related, but it was quite different to hear Trixie tell it. It didn’t help that it was in that moment that Thorax started to realize this was starting to sound all too like things that had led to him and Spike becoming outcasts…and realized he could relate a bit more than he cared to admit right now. As such, he chose to not interrupt Trixie and let her continue, deciding to just keeping listening.

Trixie did continue. “It didn’t help that, bothered by it, I foolishly tried to do something to get back at Twilight for it, and nearly drove Starlight away as a friend doing it…” she shook her head, dejected. “Fortunately, it still worked out…but…whenever I come and visit Starlight now, Twilight stays out of it for Starlight’s sake, but I can tell she still doesn’t like having me around. She’s just…just…” Trixie fumed for a moment, getting herself all worked up into a temper, but then caught herself and forced herself to calm down again, turning herself away again in shame.

Thorax felt sympathy for her, regretting pressing the subject but now for entirely different reasons because it was clearly a sore subject for Trixie. “I’m sorry, I touched a nerve, didn’t I?” he apologized, feeling guilty.

“Oh, no, no, no, it’s not your fault, you’ve done nothing wrong,” Trixie mumbled, waving her hoof in Thorax’s direction. “I’m just…bitter about it…and I don’t like it, because it’s led me to do stupid things in the past. It’s that darn bruised ego of mine. I mean, I get it, I was the one who messed up before…but I’m trying to change that now, to…to be better than I was before. It’s already hard enough doing so that I don’t need her…lack of support dragging me down, making me wonder if it’s all going to be in vain.” She shook her head. “I guess what it comes down to is that she says she’s the princess of friendship,” Trixie continued. “But honestly…she’s still not that great at it, or I’d think she’d be quicker to show a bit more faith in my attempts to change.” Her gaze turned distant again, and she sighed, letting some of her anger slip away and Thorax felt her emotions cool. “I guess I shouldn’t be too hard on her though, I understand she’s got her own problems right now.”

“…how do you mean?”

She glanced back at Thorax. “You liked the show you saw tonight, but it could’ve been even better if I had Starlight helping me with some additional backstage magic. And she wanted to…but right now Twilight’s got her too busy helping look for her lost dragon assistant.” Thorax felt a flare of alarm at this subject coming up, but before he could react, Trixie went on. “Apparently, from what Starlight’s told me in her letters, this changeling managed to sweet talk the dragon into following him to who knows where, and of course that’s troubling, though…the way Starlight tells it, it sounds like Twilight thinks it’s the start of this grand invasion plan and is about ready to go on a complete rampage just to find this changeling, whatever its plans were, so to stop it…it does make one wonder just who it is you really need to watch out for.” She snorted. “All I can say is that changeling better hope Twilight Sparkle never finds it, or it’s going to be in a real heap of trouble.”

Thorax was quiet for a long moment, unsure how to respond, or if it would even be wise for him to say anything at all. What he finally said though was perhaps the stupidest option. “I’m glad I’m not that changeling, then.”

Trixie, however, chuckled, the sour mood in the wagon suddenly broken. “Me too,” she said, but then sighed, leaning on the counter of the kitchenette, gazing out the window that hung above it.

Thorax eventually found his gaze following Trixie’s and peering out the window. They weren’t really looking at anything outside; it just seemed to be the thing to do while lost in thought like this, weighing the hefty implications in their minds in a long moment of silence.

Trixie then abruptly changed the subject. “You want a soda?” she asked suddenly, glancing at Thorax.

Thorax looked at her for a moment, considering. “I could go for a soda.”

Trixie turned for the mini-fridge and opened it. “Any particular flavor? I’ve got orange, grape, cherry…”

Thorax perked up at the mention of a cherry flavor. “Cherry sounds good.”

“Cherry it is,” Trixie said, withdrawing a cherry soda and levitating it over to Thorax. She then pulled out an orange soda for herself.

She then went to the door of the wagon and sat down on the step outside, peering out at the night skyline of Vanhoover, opening the bottle to drink from it. Thorax joined her, sitting down to her left. Both inwardly mulled upon things while quietly drinking their sodas. Thorax had never had a cherry-flavored soda before now, but he quite liked the flavor, and made a note of it for future reference. Changelings may rely on a diet of emotions for nourishment, but they also still needed to drink liquids to keep hydrated just like a pony would. In the hive, Thorax had usually only partaken of water, and he knew that would always be enough in a pinch…but it was still nice to partake of a drink that had a bit more flavor than water.

He was still fairly new to the idea of sodas, actually. He had other flavors of soda a couple of times before now since meeting Spike, but unfortunately it was not a regular drink for him. Ever conscious of their funds, Spike generally didn’t like the idea of spending their funds on something as trivial as soda, and treated it as something to get only on special occasions as an infrequent treat. Fly Leaf, on the other hoof, didn’t hate soda per se, but they weren’t usually her first choice of beverage and so she typically wasn’t going around obtaining a supply of the drink herself. It was too bad though; Thorax not only liked the wide array of flavors sodas apparently came in, but he found the fizziness of the carbonated drinks felt fun going down.

Unfortunately, he was soon reminded that this meant one needed to be careful drinking such bubbly drinks when, after having downed a few hearty chugs of his soda, he felt something boiling back up his throat and, against his will, abruptly let out a loud burp. Turning red, he slapped both hooves over his mouth in embarrassment while Trixie turned her head to look at him in surprise. After a beat, he dared to dart his eyes in Trixie’s direction and noticed she was smirking.

“Aw, that was nothing,” she said smugly, raising her drink to her lips with her magic. “Let me show you the great and powerful way to do it.” She then drank deeply from her orange soda for a long moment, draining almost half of the remaining contents in one go. She then went quiet for a moment, eyes closed, before her cheeks abruptly puffed out and let out a monstrous blech out into the night. Thorax swore he heard it faintly echo. “Ha!” she crowed afterwards, not the least bit ashamed. “That’s how you do it!”

Thorax couldn’t stop himself at that point and broke out laughing. Trixie immediately joined in, both enjoying the mirth of the moment. “That was definitely great and powerful all right,” Thorax managed to get out between chuckles, wiping faint tears of laughter from his eyes.

“You can thank my younger cousin for my epic burping skills,” Trixie explained, giggling herself. “When we were still foals, he was always challenging me to burping contests during visits…forcing me to up my game eventually.”

Thorax chuckled some more. “He sounds like fun.”

“Actually, he’s an absolute brat of a pony, but you can’t help but love him anyway.” Trixie went quiet for a moment, smiling still as she gazed out into the night, but then she sighed and the smile faded. She turned to look at Thorax again. “Look, I’m sorry about unloading on you like that earlier…”

“Nah,” Thorax said, waving the matter aside. “It sounded like you needed to get it off your chest, and I was happy to listen.”

Trixie’s smile returned again slightly. “You are a good listener,” she agreed, drinking again from her soda.

“It’s really not that hard to do, honestly.”

“You’d think more ponies would do it then.”

“Mm.” Thorax was silent for a moment, gazing into his bottle as he swirled the soda inside with his magic. Before it had even registered what it was he was saying, the words were out of his mouth. “I actually think we have more in common than you realize anyway, Trixie.”

Trixie glanced at him in surprise. “Really?” she asked, sounding incredulous, but Thorax also sensed she was intrigued to hear that. “How so?”

So despite knowing he was risking revealing more about himself than he should, he pressed on. “I’m not actually native to Vanhoover,” he admitted gently, letting his gaze turn unfocused. “I’m a long way from home, really. But…there was no place for me there anymore. You see…” he hesitated, unsure how to explain it in terms Trixie would understand while also not revealing his true nature and origins. “…my…family and I…we don’t see eye to eye. I…I had different ideas about where to go in life than they did, and they…they just wouldn’t agree. Eventually…it got to the point that I just had to…leave, ultimately finding myself here.”

Trixie was quiet for a moment. “I’m sorry Thornton,” she said finally, placing a hoof on his shoulder in sympathy.

Thorax forced a smile, but it was a very weak attempt. “Sometimes I think about going back home,” he continued. “Try again to prove to them the things I’ve learned and discovered are worthwhile…try and make them see that we all could be living better lives than what they’ve permitted themselves…if we would only just try.” He shook his head. “But…I’m not sure they’ll listen. Ever. And they think less of me for trying. Think I won’t ever amount to anything.” He took a deep breath and looked at the mare beside him. “So that sense of being unfairly judged you were talking about Trixie…I get that. I really do.” He turned away, shaking his head. “Sweet acorns, do I ever get it,” he mumbled.

Trixie was quiet for long moment. “Well, at least we both have friends, and that helps,” she offered, trying to be positive. “I mean, I have Starlight, and you have your roommate friend.”

Thorax grinned a little. “Yeah, I suppose I do.”

Trixie then frowned. “…though I suppose that roommate of yours could think better of Trixie.”

Thorax’s grin faded a little. He looked away. “I’m sorry he hasn’t judged you fairly either, Trixie,” he murmured. He paused, turning thoughtful. “I should talk to him about that. Out of everyone in this world…he should know better.”

Trixie shifted awkwardly. “In his defense, he probably just doesn’t know the whole story,” she pointed out. “Only heard what other ponies have said about me…never met the mare herself.” Her ego returning slightly, she put a hoof to her chest. “And that’s a darn shame, because Trixie’s always a sight to behold.”

Thorax’s grin returned. He knew that wasn’t actually the case, but he decided it would be better to let Trixie believe otherwise for now. “It was kinda amusing to see his reaction when I told him I had met you,” he admitted. He turned to Trixie. “Remember that poster you gave me with the tickets?”

“Yeah?”

“Probably shouldn’t have shown him it while he was drinking orange juice, because that was what got all over it in the ensuing spit take.”

Trixie laughed. “Aw darn, and I thought those posters captured Trixie’s likeness so well!” she said jokingly then shrugged. “At least he still let you to come to my show.”

“Actually no, he very much recommended that I not go,” Thorax admitted. “Told me your whole story as he knew it to try and convince me.” He gave her an encouraging grin. “And I’d like to point out that despite all of that…I still chose to come anyway.”

“And I, for one, am glad you did.” Trixie grinned softly. “But you know, you really didn’t…have to come, not if it was going to cause contention for you like that,” she relented with some hesitation. “Just because I gave you free tickets…”

Thorax shook his head. “That didn’t seem fair to you,” he explained. “Besides…as much as I don’t want to admit it, just between you and me…I have to respectfully disagree with him on this. Even a stage magician can change.”

For a moment Trixie let her façade fade and a gentler and heartened grin appeared on her face, encouraged by Thorax’s word of support. But as quickly as it had materialized, the grin morphed into a sly smirk. “…does he even know you’re here?”

Thorax allowed himself to share in Trixie’s smirk. “He hasn’t a clue.”

Trixie blinked, impressed, while her smirk strengthened. “So you’re saying you snuck out on Trixie’s behalf, then?”

Thorax fidgeted a little guiltily at this. “…only a little,” he said, trying to downplay it and the thought that it might come back to haunt him was suddenly hard to shake. He then chuckled knowingly. “But if I hadn’t come…then I would’ve been the one missing out.”

“Yes, yes you would have,” Trixie agreed with a smug grin.

They both laughed. Thorax turned his gaze back out at the city skyline, again feeling pleased he had chosen to come. Not only had he enjoyed the show, but he was finding Trixie to be something of a kindred spirit. At the very least, she was fun to talk to. It was just them talking, drinking soda, and enjoying the view of Vanhoover bathed in the glow of moonlight—

Thorax suddenly locked eyes with the moon hanging in the sky and realized just how long they had been here doing this. Cocking an ear, he heard no other activity in the amphitheater and realized suddenly that they were quite possibly the last ones here, with everyone else having long gone. “Oh wow, it’s getting late,” he said, quickly downing the last of his cherry soda and standing, stepping off the wagon’s steps and back onto the grassy lawn that ran behind the stage. “I’d better be getting back before someone notices I’m gone.”

“Ah yes, and seeing that you snuck out…” Trixie summarized with a knowing nod. She finished off her soda too before latching the wagon door shut behind her and joining Thorax. “Tell you what, I’ll walk with you…protect you from the dangers of the Vanhoover streets at night.”

Thorax raised an eyebrow at her. “But I’m the one who’s the regular resident to Vanhoover,” he pointed out. “I know this town better than you would, and I know how to safely navigate it. Besides…the streets of Vanhoover aren’t especially dangerous at night.”

“You can’t be too safe in major metropolises like this, where you never know what might be lurking around the next corner,” Trixie declared in a melodramatic tone.

“In that case, I feel obligated to point out that afterwards you’d have to walk back to your wagon here, heading through the same streets, entirely on your own and without a guide who knows the streets like me.”

“You just said the streets aren’t known to be especially dangerous at night. Besides, the Great and Powerful Trixie with her mighty magical talent is more than capable of looking after herself.”

Thorax grinned smugly. “Oh, so you’re saying you’re an expert in defensive magic as well as illusionary magic,” he stated semi-sarcastically on the matter, calling her out.

Trixie gave him withering grin, tilting his head at him, knowing full well what he was doing. “Are you saying you don’t want Trixie’s company after all?”

Thorax thought about it for a moment. Logically, he figured he probably shouldn’t let her come. But he also figured that if Trixie was really going to create a problem for him at this point, it would’ve happened by now. Besides…the streets would be a bit lonely. “Well, c’mon then,” he said finally, motioning for her to follow as he turned to leave.

“Knew you’d see it my way,” Trixie responded with a smug grin, trotting beside him. She gave him a wink. “Smart choice.”

“Well, just so you know, if we do encounter any muggers or anything of the such, I plan to stand aside and let you handle it entirely on your own after pushing so hard for it,” Thorax teasingly replied.

“I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

“Mm-hmm.”

Author's Note:

This was such a hard chapter to write...I kept debating on just how far I did or did not want to take it, among other things. Trixie was especially hard to pinpoint, as I still wanted to hit on those famous character traits she's so renowned for in the show, but also present her as having a deeper, somewhat more fragile side of her, and that she's not entirely proud of what she's been in the past...while all still coming across as approachable, relatable, and above all likeable to Thorax. It took a few tries to find the desired balance...hopefully I've hit close enough to the mark, but at this point I'm really just glad to have the chapter posted and over with. :rainbowlaugh:

I had also debated for a long time whether or not I could justify Trixie being a fan, of any degree, of Sky Trek, wondering if that was really in line with her character...eventually I covered for it by establishing her as more of a closet fan and that she doesn't broadcast that she's a fan too loudly to other ponies. I had debated at one point instead using Doctor Hooves instead, as that for some reason seemed more readily swallowable as it's a radio show...but this then led to various logistics about how Trixie, a traveling pony, would be able to take the time to listen to such a thing regularly, and instead decided to just stick with Sky Trek.

Besides...I liked their little game of naming the title of an entry and then having the other accurately summarize it's plot from memory too much to part with. :pinkiehappy:

Speaking of, all of the supposed Sky Trek entries named are in reality titles of real Star Trek episodes, and the given summaries are accurate to the episode...just tweaked for the universe accordingly, of course.

Probably the part I enjoyed the most was exploring the inside of Trixie's wagon, discovering as I was writing this that we hadn't been shown an inside view of the wagon in the show before, leaving me free to devise my own interior to my heart's content. :ajsmug: After doing some research, I ending up loosely modeling the interior off the designs of some of the real life towable "huts" this company builds, as the exterior of their designs are very similar to Trixie's wagon, so I figured their interiors would be a match too.

Curious as to what the reader reaction will be to this chapter, especially after the reactions on the last chapter...

PreviousChapters Next