• Published 31st Oct 2016
  • 840 Views, 6 Comments

Last Minute Arrangements - Penn Hooven



Luna and her guards are ready for Nightmare Night, but it seems like someone can't make it.

  • ...
1
 6
 840

Makings of a Princess

Author's Note:

The two OC's Moon Chaser and Nightshine are not my own. This is has been a long time coming for my friend cayfie and Nightshine was created by The Abyss This is a light fun story both as a long time promised story for Cayfie and to enter into a Nightshine story contest for The Abyss.

Hope you enjoy!

Her Royal Highness, The Princess of the Night, the Ruler of the Abyss, and Walker of Dreams, Princess Luna hovered in the night sky, waiting for her trusted guards, and personal friends, Moon Chaser and Nightshine. The dark ruler looked at the moon, gauging the time.

“Why ar't they late? Doth they know that that Our schedule is tight? Nightmare Night has already begun in earnest, and We do still have to walk dreams this night.”

No sooner than she had spoken her thoughts out loud, a terrible habit that she'd been working on breaking for the last twenty four hours- to no avail- that her personal body guards arrived, bickering back and fourth.

“Really?!” The light gray thestral with a dark green mane was demanding of the other. “We're late because you had to insist that we get a grape jelly fill maple bar? Even if that was a promotion that ended last week?”

The purple pegasi snorted in response. “We'll excuse me princess. This is Lulu's favorite-”

“-Princess Luna.” The thestral corrected.

“We'll be forgiven if we're a little late.” The purple pegasi with the bubble gum mane had known Princess Luna for a very long time. In fact, she had originally been in the reserves Wonderbolts as well as a Night Guard before a certain Lord of Chaos turned a royal birthday upside down, and it had been her to save the day. Even after she had passed her prime as a flier, and even retired from the Wonderbolts- a dream come true for her- Moon Chaser was still the loyal body guard, and personal best friend, of the Night Princess.

Nightshine snorted in frustration. As much as she looked up to her mentor, Mooney was a bit of a legend in the Night Guard, she couldn't stand the old mare some times. There was a time to make sure details were in order, and then there was a time to throw the details out the window because no one keeps a Princess waiting, best friend or no.

“Where has't thou been?” Princess Luna demanded once they got within normal speaking range. “We have been waiting at the predestined spot for nearly a half an hour!”

Nightshine's ears folded back apologetically. “Sorry Princess. Joe's Donuts was more packed than we originally anticipated.”

Luna snorted, very displeased that her night should be postponed for donuts.

“Don't worry Lulu,” Moon Chaser waved it off, pulling out a donut. “I got your favorite. Grape jelly filled maple bar.”

Luna's eyes went wide. “We thought they disbanded the production of that donut last week!” Taking the fabled donut into her hooves, she took a bite. As soon as the grape jelly hit the back of her thoat she melted, her elevation in the night sky lowering slightly. “Thou ar't forgiven.”

Moon Chaser winked to the younger guard, who just huffed and rolled her eyes.

“Now then, to business!” The Moon Princess began, taking another, smaller, bite of her delicious treat. “What's the numbers of fillies and colts are we to entertain in Ponyville this night?”

“We've got quite a few.” Moon Chaser replied, hoofing off the box of donuts to Nightshine, who just barely caught them.

“A little warning next time!” Nightshine whined. “I paid ten bits for this box!”

“Lesson seven hundred, twenty eight-” Moon Chaser rehearsed not even looking at Nighshine, as she fished the list of her saddle bags. “Any attempts on the Princess's life have no warnings. You must always be aware of everything.”

Nightshine glowered for a moment, but stayed silent as the older guard looked through the list.

“Looks like all are accounted for, with the exception of Dinky “Moon Chaser's ears drooped. “Seems like she's out with the sniffles.”

“Aww.” Nightshine's ears drooped. “I like Dinky.”

Luna knew Dinky well. She always had the most pleasant dream, and while she was smaller than most fillies her age, she was a happy, large hearted unicorn. It was a pity that such a sweet filly had to miss the festivities of Nightmare Night, especially since she had worked so hard on her costume. She wanted to be a Princess, and even made her own little tiara out of card board and plastic jewels she'd saved her allowance to get. Her mother had helped her with making paper wings.

“Is there not We can do?” Luna asked. “This filly that thou has't spoken of is dear unto Us. Her dreams are always happy, and she doth treat me with muffins each night I visit her.”

Nightshine gave her princess shrewd look. “You're starting to sound like a pony who only like others who can feed you sweets.”

Luna didn't even blink, or look guilty in the slightest. “Has't thou seen my sister's backside?”

“Point Lulu.” Moon Chaser said with a smile. “I think I might have a way to get her in with the fun.”

Luna smiled, taking another bite of her jellied filled treat. “Well, ar't thou going to keep thine inspired scheme to thyself all night?”

Moon Chaser smile wider, turning her focus to the younger guard. Luna followed her gaze, and smiled in turn.

Nightshine, who had just fished out her own donut and taken a bite, looked up, crumbs stuck to her muzzle. She looked from one to the other.

“I'm going to be doing all the work aren't I?”


Derpy tucked in Dinky for the night with an apologetic expression. “I'm sorry that you can't go trick or treating tonight.” She kissed her daughter's forehead. “I know you worked so hard on your costume.”

“It's okay.” Dinky replied dejectedly. “Pip's birthaversery is in a few days, and he was saying that he might have it costume themed. I might be well enough to wear it then.”

Derpy nodded. “I'm sure you will.”

Dinky gave a fake yawn, and turned away from her mother. “I'm just going to go to sleep.”

Derpy, patted Dinky's head and left the fillies bed room, closing the door quietly behind her. It broke her heart that her daughter had to miss the fun. She didn't have much time to dwell on that fact, as a knock came from the door.

A bubble gum maned, purple pegasi stood as the front door opened. Derpy recognized the breast plate of the Night Guard.

“Hello Mrs. Hooves.” The Night Guard smiled. “I'm here on behalf of Princess Luna.”

Derpy's skiwampus eyes widened. “Oh!” She scrambled off to the kitchen before the guard could say more, returning with a basket of assorted muffins. “Please give this to the Princess when you see her.” Derpy smiled. “I've been wanting to thank her for the wonderful dreams she's been giving my sweet Dinky these last few days. It's been hard that she's has to miss tonight. She so wanted to show off her princess outfit to the Princess.”

“That's actually why I came to talk to you.” The Guard smiled.


Dinky lay wide awake, trying to hold back tears as she could hear the fillies and colts outside her window chattering about how much candy they'd be getting this year. She wondered in anyone would miss her, or even notice that she wasn't there this time. It was kind of hard not to miss a filly, especially when you live in a town where there's only a few dozen kids, but still, the imaginations of a child is a scary place at times. It might be for the best, as Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon might make fun of her hoof made outfit, while their parents had theirs custom made. Such was life though.

A tap came from her window. Dinky looked up to the single window in her room and saw a pony there. The pony tapped again, and motioned for Dinky to come forward. Dinky wasn't stupid, and knew that opening up windows to strangers in the night was a bad idea. She shook her head.

The pony on the other side facehoofed, before holding up a sign.

“Princess Luna Sent Me.”

Dinky's eyes brightened, but she was still unsure. She sat up in bed, but huddled under her blankets. Was this a prank to get her in trouble? She wasn't suppose to be outside with the sniffles. She looked up at the pony holding the sign. After a moment, the pony realized some mistake, and disappeared for a moment. Before Dinky could wonder what was going on, the pony was back, holding something against the window. It was the insignia of the Night Guard.

Smiling brightly, Dinky nodded, and bounced off her bed, scrambling to get her outfit on as fast as she could without making much sound. After all, she was suppose to be asleep.


In the town square, all the Fillies and Colts waited for the main even for the night. Trick or Treating with Princess Luna. They chatted and played little games as they waited.

“Princess Luna's late this year.” Twilight noted, dressed as Sherlock Holts. She'd just completed the whole series by Conan Dole. “Wonder what's going on?”

As if answering her question, the night sky darkened suddenly, as lighting thundered all around.

“AHAHAHAHAHAHA!” A torrent of green fire erupted in the middle of the Square, before dispersing to reveal Nightmare Moon. “Come my loyal subjects! It's Nightmare Night and I will personally escort you through my realm of the Abyss!”

At first all ponies cowered. One does not simple shrug off the awesome entrance of Nightmare Moon. But soon, all started cheering, as one does not simply ignore the awesome entrance of Nightmare Moon!

“Now before we depart!” Nightmare roared. “I have a very special guess to introduce!”

Seemingly from no where, Two Nightmare Guards, their armor terrorizing to behold, swooped down from the sky, towing a frightening chariot, and landed smoothly. Inside the incredible work of pony craftsmanship, was a small gray filly with a cardboard crown with plastic gems glued on to it, and a pair of paper wings protected in a bubble of light blue magic. She sat on what looked like to be a large, over stuffed pillow, a cup of hot chocolate in her hooves and a blanket on her lap.

“This is Princess Sugar Plum!” Nightmare smiled. “As you all know, I love sweet things, and Sugar Plum is the sweetest of them all. I have invited her as my honored guest for tonight, so be nice, or I'll eat all your candy!”

Every pony gasped, as the fillies and colts coward. Eating all of one's candy was not an idle threat from Nightmare Moon.

Twilight smiled inwardly as Nightmare Moon started to lead the way, followed by her two Nightmare Guards and 'Princess Sugar Plum'.


“I can't believe you made me fly back to the castle to get the chariot.” Nightshine vented.

Moon Chaser smirked. “Well, you certainly are faster than I am, or so you claim.”

Nightshine rolled her eyes. “Why?”

Moon Chaser glanced over her shoulder. “Because it's worth it.”

Nightshine looked back at the happy 'Sugar Plum Princess'. “For the first time tonight...I agree with you.”

“Lesson Four hundred, eighty six,” Moon Chaser grinned. “Putting a grin on a fillies face is always worth it.”

Comments ( 6 )

great story

"She wanted to be a Princess, and even made her own little tiara out of card board and plastic jewels she'd saved her alliance to get."
i think ya wanted allowance not alliance

:scootangel:7685987 oops. I'll fix that when I can.

Who is Nightshine?

The cover art is adorable and the story is adorable.

If there's a way to make it better, I can't figure out what that way is.

Login or register to comment