• Published 24th Sep 2016
  • 862 Views, 22 Comments

Evenfall: Verdant White - Yinglung



After the reunion, the group of new and old friends turned their attention towards the cold north, where troubling news was coming out.

  • ...
1
 22
 862

Chapter 16 - Confluence

The intermittent sounds of naval bombardment ripped through the air, even reaching the estuary mouth where the army was camped.

Fortunately, their stay was not completely idle and fruitless. The donkeys and mules among them, some of whom have farmsteads outside the city, were able to bring forth some of their crops that they had not managed to harvest before they fled, supplementing their meager stock.

Even Cassie was allowed to recuperate in the brackish water in the ria. She had not used this opportunity to escape, though Spike suspected that it was more due to the ongoing battle than her code of honor.

Sirens blared from within the city whenever the ships of Guillaume closed in, and several attempts by the griffons to push past the Harmony Island were repelled by onshore fortifications. The Statue of Harmony, though, sustained some light damage from the shelling.

"What in Equestria do these griffons want, really?" Spike put down the 'far-seer', or telescope, that the Firstling and white wolf scouts used. "Their strength is by no mean enough to take down the naval defense of Manehattan."

"Maybe they want to wear down the Manehattanites, and when they're unaware, raid parts of the city that's not as well-protected as the others?" Pisacan surmised.

"Really? Then this is truly the amateur hour, these griffons. Even we can do better if we follow the ways of our glorious ancestors." Magnar scoffed. "The essence of raiding is speed, hit-it-and-run. These griffons have ships that are wide, clumsy and slow. They cling together like a lump of molass, and they hoisted the full masts coming in, ruining any sort of surprise."

"Perhaps, Magnar, this means they're not here to simply raid..." Stellan said a thoughtful voice.

"Look!"

Geuse suddenly gasped. "T- That... Is that..."

Magnar exclaimed. "By my braided beard, what is that sea beast? It's larger than even the largest Kraken!"

"That's no beast, Thane Magnar." Spike's astonished look turned into an excited grin. "That... That's our greatest ally."

"Chitona... Our Great Black Ship from Zebrica! How is it-" Geuse exclaimed. The gargantuan vessel could now be seen more clearly through the mist. Its sharp black spikes and shells were flickering from the flares on shore, and the beastly figurehead on the bow stared menacingly at the griffon raiders. The Two-Sisters, royal banner of Equestria, was fluttering prominently atop.

Kanipha snorted. "I never thought I'd see something that remind me of Chrysalis's hoofiwork and feel so happy, but there you go."

Thorax immediately asked with apprehension. "C- Chrysalis? Would she be on that ship, then?"

Spike reassured. "Even if she is, which I doubt, she would have to get past me to lay a hoof on you."

"And me, of course!" Starlight harrumphed, but then she covered her mouth as she pointed towards the horizons. "Wait, there are still more?"

"I'd very much hope so." Spike looked expectantly at the colorful Cruzesian galleons that followed. "We've got mountains of hooves and paws to move. If we can get a Harmony-send hitch-hike, I would take it."

As the allied navy moved in a half-circle, the griffon raiders were suddenly sandwiched between the coastal defense of Manehattan and the newcomers bearing Equestrian colors. When it became clear that the newcomers were hostile, the griffons tried to fire a few shots at the colossal flagship, only to have the shots bouncing back like grapefruit seeds into the sea.

Initially, the Manehattan defenders were alarmed at the strange newcomers as well. However, when the Equestrian colors became prominently visible, they began to coordinate the coastal artilleries and forced the raiders back into the range of their pursuers.

After suffering loss of several more vessels, the remaining griffons attempted to make a break for the open sea, but were summarily encircled by the relentless galleons. Some defiant griffon sailors took off in desperation and tried to sabotage the sails of the Cruzesian ships, and they too were quickly forced back by the battle-hardened pegasi.

At the end, the griffons seemed to have lost any remaining will to battle. More and more griffons fell into the cold harbor water and had to be rescued up by their former foes.

At the loud, wailing cry of their naval horn, the Griffiny colors of their flagship was struck. The invading band of raiders decided to try their luck and surrendered to their seabound pursuers, rather than the city of Manehattan, clearly fearing the consequences of falling into the hooves of the people they tormented for the last few months.

"Let's light up the signal flares." Spike ordered with a face of relief, after hearing the latest report from the scouts. "We did get some from the Ville, don't we?"

"Yes, sir. But to whom and in what colors?" Marin asked.

"To our allies at sea, of course. It would be much, much better if we meet up, before any of us take a stroll into the messy swamp that is Manehattan."

Spike smiled. "And make it purple and green. If Rainbow's really there, she should know."

~~~

"Grand navy, meet grand army."

Spike smiled wryly to the astonished cyan mare before him. "Long time no see, Your Rainbowy Grace."

"Y- You really are alive, Spike!"

Rainbow Dash, clad in a slightly rumpled white military uniform, merely exclaimed with raw emotion. She dashed in front of the dragon inside the tent, then knelt and hugged him tightly. Spike closed his eyes and accepted the embrace.

The colorful feathers in Rainbow Dash's hat trembled with her elated voice. "I... I never thought it was you when I saw the flares. I thought it's the city representatives from Manehattan who wanted to meet somewhere outside the city."

"The news of my demise is greatly exaggerated... as Twilight would've said."

Rainbow Dash pulled up a grin, but it was forced. Spike then attempted to soothe the atmosphere further. "Aww, and who else in the world has such an eye-catching color combinations anyway?"

"Pfft. You being with a large group of allied soldiers here is already pretty far-fetched. For all I know, the... I dunno, maybe the genderqueer have overthrown the government in Manehattan. I won't put it past them, given the craziness in recent months."

"Hardy har." Spike snorted. "So did the others fill you in already?"

"I met Cadance and Shining Armor at the entrance of the camp. They toured me around for a bit and introduced everyone here to me." Rainbow shook her head in disbelief. "Quite an adventure you've got there."

"Seems like I've got the Rainbow Dash's seal of awesomeness. It only took me like getting holed up in a siege, getting blasted by freezing hail, getting bodyjacked out of nowhere, plus getting randomly stabbed in the eye. It was like me tearing up my action comic collection and played magnetic poetry with them."

Rainbow Dash, however, frowned instead of finding humor in his words. "Yikes. Is that how you got those funny colors on your eye and body?"

"Yeah, but you also look different yourself. Chipped ear is in chic, it seems?"

"Hey punk, it's a mark of bravery." Despite the words, Rainbow Dash heartily chuckled.

Spike laughed. "Ha, and those are not the only things I got. I also somehow got myself a zebra brother, a reindeer daughter, a bunch of followers who think that I'm the successor to their dragon god."

Rainbow Dash simply laughed wrily with disbelief as Spike went on, until he said. "... and even the super duper big secret you guys didn't tell me for so long!"

"What the pff- erd?" Rainbow Dash reacted with shock.

Spike decided to tease the cyan mare a bit first. "Dude... I can't believe I'm ranked below Discord in importance, since even he knew. Am I too much of a wimpy baby dragon back then to handle the truth?"

Rainbow Dash, however, was uncharacteristically serious. "Spike, we wanted the reveal... to be a special moment between Twilight and you. Twilight was not ready, so we did not tell."

The dragon's mock accusatory look fell, and he turned away from Rainbow's gaze.

"That's just silly... Life never wait for you to prepare perfectly. Not to mention 'perfect preparation' is just a comfortable lie. Life will always find a way to surprise you."

"... True, I suppose. Twilight is just afraid that you will reje-"

"Don't even say that, Rainbow." Spike interjected. "She should've put some bits in me, her loyal dragon assistant and dearest family. Did she think just hearing some weird voice and getting all timey-wimey will somehow make me not love her anymore? Silly Twi."

Rainbow Dash simply returned with a startled nod. The dragon then chuckled. "We've been winging it ever since we're banished to the frozen north. Going from four to a good couple thousands strong. While it's mostly blood-curdling surprises, it turns out mostly well, don't you think?"

"... Yeah, sure." Rainbow Dash finally grinned. "You must admit though, you seem to have got extraordinary good luck along your way. I can't help but wonder if you're being helped along by the magic of Harmony itself."

"... If so, I wish I can give out some luck to you girls, our friends, the Princesses... and Equestria. This land of ours sorely needs it right now."

Rainbow Dash lowered her head again and showed him an ached expression. Spike then asked with concern. "What's wrong?"

"We could've done more to prevent this in the first place, just like the changeling invasion. We've failed Equestria and her people again by allowing all these to even happen. Our intervention seemed to have harmed more than they fixed."

"Why suddenly sulk? It isn't like you at all."

"You don't understand, Spike. Everything's gone to the gutters for us, even while we're trying desperately to fix our mistakes. And while it's very lucky for us to somehow meet here, it was not even my original idea to lead the bulk of our naval force to the East. I come here by myself... not really by choice."

"Oh?"

"There are certainly places that need this army and this fleet much more. While relieving griffon raids and possibly rescuing refugees are noble goals, the politics east of the Foal Mountains are far too messy. Besides, things here are not so bad that we need to intervene right away."

She bit her lips. "On the other hoof, we should've tended to the towns that are fallen, or those coastal cities in the west that were laid waste. If we're more strategically flexible, we could've even tried to relieve Vanhoofer from Sunset Shimmer's hooves, or at least interfere her supply lines close to home. At the very, very least, they could garrison in Ponyville and Raritan to strengthen their defenses."

"Okay... So why on earth are you here then?" Spike asked, not without some intrigue.

She deeply frowned. "Because if I do any of these, you won't be seeing me in this uniform for much longer."

"Eh? Why?!"

Rainbow Dash raised her hooves and massaged her temples. "You see, if I ever command the Cruzesians to directly assault the crystal ponies, they might just turn against me faster than I could pull off a Sonic Rainboom."

"Why would they do that? Don't they absolutely adore you?"

Rainbow Dash smiled, but it was full of sadness. "I don't know if you still remember, but the ponies of the southern cross look very fondly to their crystal sisters. On top of being old allies, they feel strongly that they're fighting together as two sister nations, suddenly returning and adapting to the world stage after practically frozen in time for thousands of years. I can't blame them for thinking like that."

Rainbow Dash's tough look gradually melted away completely. "I might've beaten the Black Snake, but many Cruzesians simply flat out refuse to turn against the crystal ponies. Shortly after the conflicts broke out, a hoofful of generals and commanders even threatened to desert their posts and go back to their jungle homes."

The cyan mare looked more and more guilt-ridden. "My hooves were entirely tied. A coup was a very real prospect at the time... Misty was constantly fighting with the more unruly elements in the ranks. Therefore even we have so many capable Cruzesian hooves, none of them are sent to the front to help things out."

She looked away from Spike. "... This forces Rarity, who organized the defense up north, to take matters into her own hooves."

Spike sharply breathed in. He quickly grabbed at Rainbow Dash's shoulders and asked nervously. "I heard that she fought alongside the diamond dogs in Raritan, but got wounded. I- Is she okay?"

Rainbow Dash now looked like a filly who had broken an expensive vase, her face full of shame. "She did not suffer any life-threatening trauma..."

"Phew..."

"But..." Rainbow Dash shifted. "The battle completely destroyed her livelihood, and left her with a long scar on her cheek, right below her eye."

Spike gulped hard, and then slowly said. "... Well, at least she's alive, and this is all that matters. Fortune can be rebuilt, and I too got scars here and there too, even on my face."

"I know, and she knows that this is not the time nor space to dwell on something so superficial. Plenty of fighters got more serious injuries and they did not complain... at least out loud."

Rainbow Dash looked conscience-stricken, as she said. "But this is still Rarity we're talking about. She's a pony who tops herself on looks and fashion and stuffs. She wants to be at her most presentable at all times..."

The cyan mare shook her head. "Plus the business that she built with her very hooves had turned to rubble in a blink of an eye. Her self-confidence must've been totally shaken. Yet she could not show it to anypony but the closest ones she knows, because she needs to show everypony that she's a strong, brave and magnanimous leader."

"... I will go talk with her when I'm back." Spike gulped again. "I hope that the news of my survival would at least cheer her up."

"It certainly will."

Spike went quiet with thought, but then he shook his head. "So, Rainbow, how about the others, and how about the general situation in the south? Can you tell me more from your perspectives?"

Rainbow Dash merely let out a long sigh, prompting Spike to ask with worry. "Hey there, speak up. You're freaking me out if you stay quiet like that."

"What...?" The cyan mare looked defeated. "Do you want me to tell you how exactly we failed to sense there's something wrong with Pinkie and Sunset Shimmer?"

"Look, I'm not trying to pick at the wounds and scabs. Just wanna know what's going on down there when we're wandering in the icy cold."

Seemingly relieved of a bit of her guilt, Rainbow Dash began difficultly with a raspy voice. "We're also reacting to the situation as it happened. In the early days, we're panicking a bit because Pinkie and Geuse did not report back. And then we lost contact with you and Kanipha as well. It... It was devastating."

"I'm so sorry."

"There's nothing to feel sorry about, Spike. You've done the biggest thing that we could've hoped for, which is to live." She then turned her head back to the entrance and nodded. "... and much, much more."

Rainbow Dash briefly smiled, but a sorrowful head shake followed. "It was very confusing, because no news of any kind came out from the north. Not even Doctor Whooves could go in to check out what happened. We were already talking about the possibility that Sunset Shimmer was up to no good, but disruption keeps happening in Raritan, Canterlot and Ponyville, distracting us from the big picture. We now know that there were spies from the Crystal Empire amongst the refugees that we received, probably part of Sunset Shimmer's plan to shift our as well as the princesses' attention, so that she would have a freer rein on things."

"Darn it!"

"Pinkie's oddity did raise our alarm, but before we can execute our own plan to catch and interrogate Sunset Shimmer as she came down to Canterlot, she already had the planned coup neatly in place."

Regret filled the cyan mare's face. "It's a damn bloody shame that things turned out this way. What happened afterwards in Cloudsdale... It's a complete outrage, and I can't believe anypony with a conscience could punish an entire city like that. My mom and dad survived, fortunately, but they too toiled hard in the weather-making camp before we sent in some commandos to rescue them and the others."

Spike merely closed his eyes and sighed. Rainbow Dash continued. "The frontline had, fortunately, stabilized after we fended off the invasion at Raritan. And you probably know this already - the Saddle Plain was blown into smithereens to stop their future advances, with every single ounce of explosives that the Raritan miners had with them. Discord also used his chaos magic to turn it into a virtual maze. No enemy troops have invaded ever since."

"Hmm... This matches with what we've heard so far."

"But with so many refugees from around Equestria, the infrastructure in Ponyville was strained. We took in a large amount of Canterlot citizens and Cloudsdale pegasi. The food situation is stable thanks to Applejack's extensive farmworks in the deep south, but the living condition for the newcomers is not so good, to say the least."

Rainbow Dash again looked as if she had a pulsing headache. "The morale is passable since we got help in the media, but there is also a lot of tension. The highfalutin' types from Canterlot are just not adapted to life in Ponyville, and they got into a lot of fights with the locals and the... proud Cloudsdale pegasi. If I hadn't brought away the Cruzesians, they too would fight with the Cloudsdale pegasi, I guess."

She began to hiss with irritation. "Also, those haughty nobles that we rescued with so much effort, now somehow get the brilliant idea of wanting to stick a hoof in governing Ponyville. Enough to say, they only make the messy situation messier."

"Uh Rainbow, remember, 'nobles'. They're the living, walking symbols of entitlement."

"... Touché."

"What about the princesses? Do you guys have any idea where they are?"

"I don't have an ounce of idea." Rainbow Dash frowned. "When we stormed the Canterlot Castle, they were already nowhere to be seen. Nopony saw them escape either."

"Would Sunset Shimmer... you know..." Spike pointed a claw to his neck with a cold hard look, and made a horizontal motion.

"... I don't know her too well, so I won't put it past her." Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes. "But if she went so far and eliminated the princesses, I think she would definitely parade the fact to the whole world. The total defeat of the princesses would only shatter the morale of her opposition."

Spike mulled, and then thinly grinned. "I thought you're the type that keeps on finding somepony, even though you've seen them evaporating before your eyes."

Rainbow Dash narrowed an eye, seemingly gauging whether the dragon was mocking her. Yet she could only find sincerity on his face. She then merely explained. "Yes, but we're not free to search the land with the conflicts raging on. This time I could not afford to leave Equestria either... for obvious reasons."

"... Right."

"I even ignored multiple calls to go back. The Cruzesians back home seemed to have trouble with strange occurrences inside the jungle for a while now. I bet I'm about to be- oompf!"

Rainbow Dash's monologue was abruptly stopped by somepony who jumped into her back and practically screamed with heightened enthusiasm. "Yeeeeeee-! Dashie!!"

"P- Pinkie-?"

Spike merely asked quizzically. "Huh, you two didn't meet outside?"

"I- I didn't see Dashie at all!" Pinkie gasped for air, but elation was clear in her tone. "I was busy talking to Misty about logistics... boring stuffs!"

However, when Pinkie noticed that the enthusiasm seemed not to be shared by the cyan mare at first, she fearfully retracted herself. Then Rainbow Dash pulled the pink mare into a powerful hug.

"Pinkie! We've worried sick of you! That darned orange unicorn didn't hurt you or anything, did she?"

"S- She-" Pinkie spluttered.

"Bah, forget it." Rainbow Dash waved. "The most important thing now, is that you're here with us."

Pinkie's sniffling could barely be contained, as Rainbow's sight and plain acceptance prompted her to finally lower her guard and loudly reminisce about the better days.

"Hn- Hnn- Hnnng... Waaaaaaah! Dashie!!" Two gushing fountains of tears exploded from the pink mare's eyes, as she returned the hug like a filly desperately grasping at a life float.

"I miss you badly, Dashie! I miss all of you! I miss all the happy faces in Ponyville! I miss my family! I miss the Sugarcube Corner and Mr. Cake and Mrs. Cake! I miss baking! I miss throwing parties for my bestest friends and telling jokes and making everypony laugh!"

She lowered her head and bury it in the cyan mare's chest and wailed. "I don't want to hurt anypony! I don't want to see anypony hurt! I just want everypony to be happy and at peace! I- We worked so hard! But why is this so difficult? Why did all these happen? I just want this to end, and I can wake up to big smiles and streamers and cupcakes!"

"..." Rainbow Dash looked at the hurt mare silently, and stroked her back somewhat clumsily. She, too, had no answer to any of the questions the pink mare raised.

Spike and Rainbow Dash's gazes crossed. The dragon then leaned in and whispered in the cyan mare's ear.

"I'm going to sort out the army, deal with some kelpie, and prepare for the inevitable meeting with the Manehattanites. We should talk about the griffons and how to get all of us out of here when we next meet. Meanwhile, take good care of the silly girl, will ya?"

After receiving an affirmative nod, Spike quietly donned his small armor, had a last glance of the duo, and walked out of the tent with resoluteness.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment