• Published 24th Sep 2016
  • 862 Views, 22 Comments

Evenfall: Verdant White - Yinglung



After the reunion, the group of new and old friends turned their attention towards the cold north, where troubling news was coming out.

  • ...
1
 22
 862

Chapter 7 – Tides of Fate

With loud grounding sounds, the heads of the longships ran ashore. The rowers tried their best to avoid grounding, but the lack of functioning rudders made that pretty much a futile task.

The assorted muskoxen, deer, pony and white wolf soldiers unloaded themselves orderly at the command of their respective leaders. The longships were too damaged to sustain much further voyage, so the leaders were somewhat relieved that they were finally on shore, despite that their original war plan was all thrown into disarray.

The beach they landed on was a rocky beach in the middle of a fjord. A thick cloud of mist hung around the coast, necessitating the use of torches.

After the leaders congregated, scouts were sent out to locate a suitable site to make camp. But what the scouts reported back was surprising, especially to Spike.

The purple dragon asked. “Really? Are you sure about that, Birger?”

Birger attempted to answer in broken Old Firstling, until Stellan stopped him and translated for him. “Yes, Birger is sure. He saw a moderate-sized but drab-looking settlement at the end of the valley. There are silos and farming fields, but few crops are in them, only rocks and rubbles. There are also ponies wearing greyish and black clothing tending to them.”

Magnar huffed. “What? Who are these fools? Farming rocks? Everypony knows minerals are mined, not farmed.”

Spike interjected. “Apologies, Thane Magnar, it’s actually practiced in some parts of Equestria. Due to the high level of magic in parts of the land, arranging the rocks in a certain manner can promote the growth of certain mineral within the rocks, usually construction materials like marble, granite and sandstone. That’s not to say you can’t just mine them off somewhere, it’s much quicker that way in fact, but rock farming is more sustainable and less polluting.”

Frigg thinly smiled. “My brilliant Spike, your knowledge once again illuminates us.”

Spike looked briefly bashful, but then his expression turned painful. “I… I have a loved one that was a rock farmer. That’s why I know about it.”

He gulped and asked. “Is there any sign of enemy presence? Crystallian flags? Crystal pony soldiers walking around?”

Stellan again translated for him and said. “Nay. Birger said the only flag in town is a square pennant, with two winged unicorns inside it.”

“That’s the flag of Equestria. So this settlement is not fallen, and probably safe to approach. Still, we must be careful. But if everything goes smoothly, we might be able to confirm our location and even obtain some much needed supplies.”

He paused and said. “We should not approach all at once, lest it frightens the townsponies. I shall go talk with the town leader, maybe with a few other companions, as they’re likely to speak Equestrian. It would be safer for the rest of you to stand guard here. As impossible as it might be, enemies might descend on us with surprise.”

Stellan said. “Indeed, the flood was already a major occurrence that we could not have ever accounted for. It would be wise to play safe.”

Magnar nodded, and Frigg bowed. “May the weavers of fate be in your favor, brilliant Spike.”

Spike thanked the three, and explained the situation to the others. Aside from Cadance, Shining Armor, Geuse, Pisacan and Kanipha, Puuska the white wolf, in a shocking move, volunteered to be their bodyguard.

The purple dragon was at least understanding if Suologievra was the one who made the suggestion, but he could not understand the motivation of the white wolf younger brother, who had been until recently their enemy.

The zebra colt and others also looked at Puuska somewhat warily. The young wolf bared his teeth and grinned. “Am I really this untrustworthy?”

“I just… um, wanna know why you would like to do that.” Spike pulled the white wolf to the side and cautiously said in the white wolf tongue.

The gaunt white wolf snorted. “Just feel like it, it’s all.”

“It’s all?”

“I think that you’re the only one that gives me any kind of respect after my defeat, so I kind of want to repay you for that.”

“Don’t mention it. It’s just something basic. Honor is what separate us from beasts.”

“Honor, well said... Besides, after I get captured, I’m beginning to understand my brother’s mindset. This makes me more amenable to the idea of change.”

“Oh?”

“Laske is always the more impulsive of us two, and without sounding like blaming him for this, he was the one who hatched the idea of pulling the coup upon seeing that orange-coated unicorn. I usually overthink things, and this was what got me into your claws in the first place. So I think, why don’t I let what I feel leads me for once? For now, I feel that you’re someone that I should really strive to protect.”

Spike mulled, and then thinly smirked. “Well, not least because if I encounter any accidents, you and your band of white wolves would lose a voice that advocates for your welfare.”

Puuska moaned. “Heh, they say you’re the new avatar for Nighthewer, but you are way too slick to resemble the white dragon in legend.”

“I might have Nighthewer’s memories, but I’m my own dragon. I don’t want to be all foxy, to be honest. I just wish for the safety of my friends and loved ones… and uh, preferably also myself. So if you don’t pull anything funny, I won’t.”

“I’m not going to. I’m interested to see if your vision pans out as well.”

“Huh, really? I thought you belong to the faction that calls for cleansing the ponies for the surface of the earth.”

Puuska widened one of his eyes, and broke out in laughter. Spike frowned. “What’s so funny about killing off an entire race?”

The lanky wolf let out a groan and said. “Oh man, harsh. Do you really believe every word my mama said? Yes, she’s usually upright and honorable. She’s also a wolf born in aristocracy. Nobles like us are trained to phrase things to our best advantage, even if it means lying by omission.”

“What do you mean?”

“I am no ideological crusader. My brother is a rare specimen, he does believe that this land of ours is better off without pesky ponies. But he never really seriously thought he would encounter any surviving Firstlings, nor did he ever contemplate straight-up wipe out pony civilians beyond the expected war-time damages, even if he gets to the south, since he’s more honor-bound than most other wolf nobles. How the heck can that be compatible with a pony-cleansing agenda, nobody knows. Despite his battle prowess, he’s not one to think things through.”

He rolled his eyes. “I myself am not too concerned that there are some quadrupeds that live beyond our border, who might have an ancestor that did something to the poor greys. Not to mention that the attack on the Firstlings was largely something of a silly collateral mistake. And yes, what happened to the greys was terrible, but come on, it’s three thousand years ago. I was shocked and honestly a bit amazed that you said they’re still kind of alive, and that you can bring them back. If so, great…! So in conclusion, mother probably exaggerated our fervor to make us more threatening.”

“… But that’s mostly about yourself. What about white wolves as a whole?”

Puuska grinned. “It’s a cruel reality, but no white wolf in the modern time really care about the survival of some distant ponies, nor are they all for honoring the memories of the greys. Yes, they still get all uppity when you trot out mentions of ponies, be it Firstlings or the southerners. But the truth is, this hatred is shallow, not much beyond shouting profanities after a few chugs of votka.”

The young white wolf lowered his voice. “It is actively maintained and manufactured by us, the elite, for political gains. The ponies have long transformed from a tangible target of hatred, to some abstract bogey monsters that represented the loss of white wolf honor. Basically, don’t think of us as a monolithic race who’s hell-bent on this pony-offing business. The so-called two factions within our society are simply your garden-variety warmongers and peacelovers, common to all races in the world. Once the new order in your vision is implemented, both would probably be obsolete.”

Spike was somewhat floored but also intrigued by Puuska’s new angle of white wolf society. But he then raised a brow and asked suspiciously. “You seem quite worldly for a wolf that lives in the isolated north.”

“Susia might look isolated to deer and muskoxen, but that’s just due to their bias… and our own as well. We do trades all the time, just not with them. We have a large fishing fleet based in Isojoki, and we sell those fish to the Ursians, and sometimes bugbears as well, in exchange of gems, tools and all kinds of other stuffs.”

“… Wait, bugbears? I thought they were, um, monsters from Tartarus.”

“Tartarus? Monsters? I don’t know about that. But bugbears are indeed an easily irritated bunch, and they flew too often into incomprehensible rage all the time to properly do trade with, so I said sometimes… Hmm, don’t the ponies like to use that underworld dimension to exile criminals? I guess he might just be a madder-than-usual specimen that waded into pony lands.”

Puuska grew interested as he talked on. “These bugbears, when they’re not being raving mad and smashing things up, live in primitive huts in the northwestern corner of Ursia. And they’re definitely sapient, because they speak a variant of Ursian, have a modicum of social structure and recognize Ursian suzerainty.”

“Hmm… Ursia? How come I’ve never heard of this place before?”

“It’s possible. They’re rather reclusive to most other species as well, just like us. Ursians are intelligent bears living to the vast wild forest east of the empire of the griffons. They are rather diminutive in size, but love their liquor so very much. We import crates and crates of votka from them every year…”

Puuska blinked, and slapped his forehead. “Oh, I slip too far from our original topic, I’m sorry. It’s just too boring without a proper conversational partner for so long. Besides, mother had appointed me as the ambassador to Ursia for a number of years, so I grow quite fond of that place.”

“It’s okay, I’m interested in the world beyond as well. But now, we should pack up and prepare to do the parlay. If you want any extra equipment, do tell.”

Puuska raised a brow and smirked. “Oh? So I gather that you permit me to go.”

“Yes, but on one condition.”

The white wolf made a face. “Pray tell, what can it be? Walking there on my forelegs only?”

“Quit acting cheeky. I just want you to start learning Equestrian, and possibly Old Draconic, so that you can communicate with the others directly, and make them less paranoid around you.”

“Oh trust me, I’ve been eavesdropping on you all to try to get a hang of them. But by goodness it’s just impossible. How can two languages be so hopelessly different?”

“Nothing is impossible, you just need to start with basics. I will try to teach you some on our way to that settlement. I’m already teaching those to the Firstlings and the Lucent leaders as well. Hopefully someday I can quit being the busy translator.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Are you out of your mind, Spike? Why are you br- bringing him? He’s gonna sneak behind us an- an- and…”

Spike patted the frightened zebra colt’s head. “Calm down, Kanny. I had a… heartfelt talk with Puuska, and he’s not going to act up, he even swore to guard us with his life.”

Geuse narrowed an eye. “Like we are going to trust someone who’s willing to turn on his own mother.”

Shining Armor said. “Yeah… Spike, I don’t get it either. He’s more of a liability than asset to be kept around.”

Cadance nodded. “He might sabotage our effort to reach out to these villagers.”

Spike felt a bit defeated facing the sea of opposition, but he insisted. “He might be a bit frivolous, but… his words sound genuine. And sometimes, we need to be the first ones to extend an olive branch. For the good of our future.”

Kanipha frowned deeply. “We have plenty of time to play with an olive branch in the camp. No need to jeopardize our mission like that… And h- he’s a meat-eating canine!”

“I asked, he said he only eat fishes aside from wolfberries.”

“He could be lying!”

Spike cupped his face with his claws. “Please trust my judgment! Not that it ever leads to Tartarus, right?”

Puuska looked on from the side, and he called out to Spike and laid a paw on his shoulder. The others almost all straightened in alarm, but the wolf immediately raised his forelegs to signal that he meant no harm. Then he whispered for a while into the dragon’s ear, and snuck something into his palm.

Spike then sighed and said. “Puuska just told me that he knew all of you don’t trust him a bit, so he gives me this.”

He held up a small metal pipe, which looked like a miniature flute.

“What’s that?” Kanipha asked.

“It’s a wolf whistle. It’s like a dog whistle, one that gives out high frequency sound that only they can hear. But this one is magically enchanted with his cut fur. Once blown, it would cause unimaginable pain in his head and immediately paralyze him.”

“Why the hay would he have something like that by his side?” Pisacan looked aghast.

“Yeah, are the white wolves somehow masochistic?” Geuse added sarcastically.

Spike turned and asked Puuska again, earning an amused look from him as he explained. The dragon then said to the others. “It’s an utmost sign of trust from a white wolf noble, as it implies total submission. Puuska used to give his to his brother, the heir apparent, before Laske himself gave it back to him as a sign of gratitude for his loyalty.”

Cadance and Shining Armor looked to each other with raised brows. Cadance was about to say something, when Kanipha suddenly grabbed the whistle from Spike’s claws. Both Spike and Puuska looked stunned, when Kanipha blew into the whistle forcefully.

“Wait, Kanny!”

Spike’s words were late, however. The young white wolf let out an extremely pained yelp, then convulsed and fell onto the pebbled ground gracelessly. His eyes rolled back, and his jaw hung open listlessly.

Kanipha walked near the wolf, and forcefully jabbed his chest with his hoof. He then smacked the wolf’s cheeks. After eliciting absolutely no response, he shrugged and said. “Huh, I thought he’s just bluffing or pretending.”

Spike looked almost exasperated. “Kanny, how can you betray his trust like that? Surely he must trust us not to use it casually to give us the key to his weakness!”

Kanipha puffed his cheeks. He was irritated that Spike sparred with him over some wolf that had until recently been their enemy. “I- It’s not the first time he gives it out! It’s not like it’s anything unique or precious anyway!”

Spike did not say anything in return, simply electing to show disappointment through silence. The zebra colt peeked at the disapproving dragon, and his ears drooped.

Geuse sighed and said. “Come now, Spike, you can’t blame him for distrusting canines… especially these wolves who have a history of aggression.”

Pisacan also added. “Yes, Spike, he also shows us that the whistle does work.”

Spike frowned deeply. “And now we’ve meaninglessly tortured a well-wishing wolf on our side…”

He tried to see if the wolf was alright. Cadance and Shining Armor were tending to the wolf. The white unicorn turned and said. “Well, we aren’t experts on wolf anatomy, but he’s breathing steadily and his heart’s still beating.”

“He should be doing fi-”

The pink alicorn’s words were cut short by the sudden movement of the white wolf. Puuska struggled to get up, and managed it at the end. But his look was one of glazed confusion and fear.

Spike said to the white wolf. “Puuska-”

The wolf flinched and grew pale. He immediately begged with a weak shaky voice, completely unlike the confident and wry tone he had been using all the time. “Oh goodness gracious, please, please never do that again...”

The dragon winced and looked to the zebra colt with an even more displeased glare. Although Kanipha still did not understand his speech, but his fearful desperation was only too apparent. The zebra colt sighed and said. “Alright, I’m sorry.”

Spike translated it for the wolf, who looked back with a leaden expression. “He said as long as you don’t do it without a reason again, he’s fine. He would let us keep the whistle as well.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The party set out after Puuska was given some time to recover. The U-shaped valley slowly inclined up from the inlet, and it was covered by short bushes that were stunt by the north winds.

Soon they crossed the pass described by the scout and left the mist-covered valley floor, the rock farming settlement entered their eyes.

They were stunned, as it was not at all some dinky small town. While the architecture was distinctly monotonic and archaic by Equestrian standard, it seemed well planned. Stone paved road weaved around square plots of land, alternating between farm houses and rock fields. The town also extended to the horizon covered by another cloud of mist, suggesting that it must at least cover an area half the size of Ponyville.

As the party walked down the slope, Spike muttered. “This town is large. How come I never see it marked on any official maps of Equestria? Does anyone have any idea which town could this be?”

A series of head shakes followed. Cadance added. “Not even the maps in Crystal Empire, I’m afraid.”

Geuse then said. “So long as it’s a town under Equestrian control, it should be friendly territories, right?”

Kanipha agreed. “Whatever we decide to do, whether to repair the ships and sail back to Isojoki, or else, we really need replenishment, supplies and somewhere to rest. A lot of our food are spoiled when flood water spilled on board. Settling down in this town should do the trick.”

Trotting down slowly with the help of Geuse and her walking cane, Pisacan said. “Although Equestrian maps are famously lacking, the fact that no one here has heard of this place should be a cause of caution. We can’t let down our guards. This town smells of suspicion.”

The party nodded, and continued to slowly progress towards the town. Finally, they reached the outskirt of the town, and a bearded pony wearing a black felt hat slowly drew his buggy across the street.

Spike gulped, and walked towards the bearded pony. He distinctly reminded the purple dragon of Pinkie’s father at her family rock farm.

The bearded pony turned as Spike was about to greet him. But instead of engaging the dragon, the pony breathed in sharply and galloped away with all his might. He disappeared into one of the farm houses just in a short moment, leaving a stunned-looking Spike standing on the street at its wake.

When the others caught up to him, Kanipha said wryly. “Seems like your outreach isn’t all that well-received, Spike.”

Pisacan nodded. “I hate to say it, but they might be more comfortable with talking to a simple pony, than an eclectic bunch like us.”

Cadance touched her horn and sighed. “Me being an Alicorn is likely too conspicuous for these ponies.”

“And if Cadance stays, I would be here with her.” Shining Armor said.

“I’m a bit too striped to be counted as a pony.” Kanipha smirked.

Pisacan bashfully added. “And I can’t see a fully-grown minotaur in front of my face even if my life depends on it.”

After being told about the condition, Puuska simply rolled his eyes and said nothing.

Geuse then threw her hooves up and said. “Alright, I’ll do it. Let’s hope that I don’t end up with a pitchfork or three to my back.”

Kanipha teased. “Heh, I’m sure that they would take you in as one of their own when you show them your very own black pitchfork.”

“My trident is not a pitchfork!”

Geuse gave the smirking zebra colt a harsh glare, and then walked towards the town center alone. On her way, she saw a number of ponies who dressed in black, white and grey, but they all gazed at her guardedly or avoided her altogether by going back into their houses.

Finally, near a large building that seemed to be congregation house, Geuse caught a young grey-coated earth pony mare walking out with her three friends. But once they saw Geuse, all her friends bailed by running back into the house and shutting the door, leaving the hapless mare outside, shuddering in the sight of the orange pegasus.

Geuse tried to put up a helpless smile and began in Equestrian. “Excuse me, madam, can you tell me what the name of this town is?”

The grey earth pony shook like a windblown twig, but she managed to squeeze out in an oddly familiar tongue to Geuse. “I- Ik weet niet wat je zegt, mevrouw.

The orange pegasus widened her eyes. That was exactly the slightly off-based ‘Zebrikaans’ Twilight’s friends initially used to talk with her. She recalled that Pinkie called it the West Germane tongue.

The orange pegasus smiled. This could not come inhandier, since she definitely knew how to speak a simple-to-understand West Germane pidgin from her days with Twilight.

“Sorry missus. Can you understand me now?”

The grey mare was stunned. “W- What? How? You know how to speak Deitsch? But you don’t seem like one of us?”

“I indeed come from outside. In fact, I come from far beyond the sea. But seeing how we speak languages so similar, perhaps we do have a common root somewhere up the line.”

The grey mare looked cautious but somewhat more relaxed. Geuse noticed it and pressed on. “My name is Geuse, may I know yours?”

“Mine is Warm Hearth (Warme Kachel). But I… I don’t know how to put this… We are not used to have visitors, and townsfolks like me aren’t supposed to talk with outsiders directly… But then, no outsider has ever spoken Deitsch so fluently to us. I’m sure Elder Streng would be interested in seeing you.”

“Thank you, Warm Hearth. Can you point me to where the Elder resides?”

“His house and office are at the center of this town… Over there.”

Warm Hearth nervously pointed towards the far end of the pebbled street. Geuse nodded and smiled. “Thanks… Ah, I forgot. What is the name of this town, may I ask?”

“Oh… This town is named Rockdale. We’re primarily a rock-farming community, but we also grow some crop to feed ourselves.”

“Thank you again, Warm Hearth.”

The mare gingerly nodded, and then scampered away and quickly knocked on the door to the congregation house. After she was let in, Geuse could hear almost panicked murmurs of discussion emanating from beyond the wooden pane.

She shrugged, and walked back to the waiting group at the other side of the street. She then explained her encounter with the rest of the party.

Shining Armor shook his head. “Can’t say I’ve heard of this Rockdale. But given their isolation, I’m not surprised.”

Cadance was surprised. “You say the mare doesn’t even know Equestrian?”

Geuse nodded. “Seems so, they speak only West Germane. It’s fortunate that my own mother tongue, Zebrikaans, is similar to it enough that we can chat fluently.”

Spike raised a brow. “West Germane, you say? Huh… I thought Common Equestrian had replaced all these old earth pony tongues in Equestria long ago. But then again, I recall Twi say that there might be remote communities in the northeast that clung to the old traditions.”

Shining Armor shook his head. “But not knowing Equestrian at all? Come now, Princess Celestia has been promoting ‘plain speech’ since like literally centuries ago. Even crystal ponies speak Equestrian more than their own ancestral tongue.”

Pisacan mulled. “Indeed. If they can’t speak Equestrian, how can they conduct administrative businesses with the Royal Equestrian Government? How do they pay taxes?”

Kanipha muttered. “I know this is a crazy idea, but are we really on the right side of the ocean?”

“… Doubting the expertise of all our navigators aside, if this is really some second-rate pony dukedom under Griffonstone rule, how do you explain this?”

Spike pointed towards the distinct building which resembled a town hall. On it flew a tattered, yellowed but distinctly Equestrian flag.

Kanipha raised his hooves in defeat. “Touché. Then maybe the mayor or whatever leader here knows Equestrian?”

“It’s possible. How about we go and meet the Elder now?” Geuse suggested.

“Good, let’s go then.” Spike nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geuse led the group across the mostly empty street, and they entered the open door of the townhall-like building.

The stony exterior enclosed a surprising sight. The inner part of the house was entirely wooden. Rows and rows of wooden benches extended towards the front, and a wooden dais sat upon a simple podium.

They passed through the empty benches. Some cloth cushions were scattered around, suggesting that the place was indeed a meeting house of sorts. Then they passed by the dais and arrived at a thick elmwood door. On it carved the word ‘ÄLTESTER’.

Geuse studied the carvings and whispered. “This must be the Elder’s office.”

Spike nodded. “Let’s knock and see if he’s here.”

The orange pegasus complied. After a few knocks, a gruff voice sounded out in West Germane. “Wie is het?”

Geuse then cleared her throat and said. “Good day, is Elder Streng here?”

The voice sounded a bit bewildered. “Of course I’m the Elder.”

“We’re visitors to Rockdale. We’d like to request your audience.”

Now the Elder’s voice contained a clear sign of surprise. “Visitors? Are you from Equestria?”

Geuse and Spike looked to each other in awkwardness. “Um, kinda?”

“Come on in.”

Geuse slowly opened the door. The Elder was an old pony with weathered dark grey coat and braided brown mane. He clearly looked shocked when he saw the mishmash of a party. When Cadance entered, his jaw almost dropped. And when Puuska finally came inside the room, he almost retreated from his desk and hid behind the giant wooden shelf.

Geuse reach out with her hoof and said. “Wait, Elder Streng, Puuska is a, um, pliant wolf.”

Spike added. “Indeed. He’s the young prince of Susia, the nation of the northern white wolves. He comes with us to guard us, and he’s not going to, for a lack of a better word, act up.”

Elder Streng grinned. “By goodness, now even you, a small dragon, speak our ancestral tongue. Interesting... Anyway, despite the odd make-up of your group, I must say I am pleased with your speed this time. The last time when the sun failed to go up and unsettled our residents, it took the royal government two whole months to send somepony in to explain.”

He then grunted with dissatisfaction. “Yes, I know that we’re seen as a peculiar bunch in your eyes. We have our own culture, language and unique community that we do not wish to be disturbed. But our ancient charter had clearly stipulated that in exchange for our non-resistance to your lordship, the nation of Equestria has a duty to maintain a normal day cycle for our non-rock crop growing. At the very least, sending someone to tell us why the sun and the moon are not rising from the horizons for so long is basic courtesy.”

The last sentence struck Spike and Geuse like a hammer to their heads. They looked to each other with shocked expressions.

Slipping back to Equestrian, Spike nervously said. “Dang! I forgot that now that we’re down south, there’s no reason for the ‘polar twilight’ to remain!”

The realization hit every listener in the room. Cadance yelped. “D- Does that mean Princess Celestia and Princess Luna a- are incapacitated or even captured?”

Geuse gritted her teeth. “Seems like the only reasonable explanation.”

Pisacan added bitterly. “And I’ll bet that orange witch is involved somehow.”

Streng looked on incredulously. He switched into heavily-accented Equestrian and said. “Wait, so you lots do not know why the sun and the moon failed to rise as well? Are you not royal representatives?”

Spike winced and made a gesture to Cadance. “Well… technically…”

The pink Alicorn nodded and said. “Apologies for the lack of manners, Elder Streng. I’m Princess Cadance of Crystal Empire, and this is my husband Prince Shining Armor.”

“An Alicorn princess from Crystal Empire? By my glistering gypsum, Crystal Empire is back?”

Pisacan smeared her snout. “Oh my.”

Cadance smiled wincingly. “Y- Yes, indeed. It has been back, devoid of her ancient curse, for quite some months by now.”

She then said grimly. “Good elder, for how long have the sun and the moon failed to rise?”

He tutted after some thought. “Well, uh, Your… Highness? I think it’s almost a month already. We had to light giant lamps around our crops to prevent them from wilting. The dim twilight might be enough for wild plants, but our potatoes are much more fragile than that. We’ve just dug the good ones all up and store them in the silos a few days ago, so you won’t see them in the field apart from our rocks.”

Kanipha said. “So things must’ve turned really bad half-way into when we’re busy marching and fighting in the Frozen North.”

With a heavy sigh, Spike began. “Elder Streng, the nation of Equestria and beyond is now in serious peril, and we need help from the town of Rockdale.”

Elder Streng was still processing the news that the Alicorn sisters were somehow incapacitated, and he slowly said. “Pray tell, what help can we, rock farmers so little and poor, might offer?”

He added guardedly. “May I remind you, our chapter dating back to the days of the Earthen Confederacy clearly stated that we Rockdalers are a pacifist self-governing community, and we’re exempt from most taxes and conscription.”

Shining Armor sighed. “Worry not, Elder Streng. We’re not coming to conscript any of you.”

Cadance added. “We hate to engulf your peaceful, secluded community into any sort of turmoil. But please, hear us our about our situation. It’s most extraordinary.”

Elder Streng stroked his beard carefully, and he waved his hoof outward. “Go ahead.”

The party then explained the situation and encounters from their exile to their accidental return to the south. The elder listened with a grave expression silently.

After they finished, the elder said with some alarm. “So you say that they’re over several thousand soldiers by the bay?”

Spike said. “Yes. But I assure you, Elder Streng, they’ll be on their best behavior, and they definitely will not disturb any local residents. We just need a more sheltered place to set down our camps. And we’d be immensely grateful if you might share supplies with our soldiers.”

Cadance nodded. “Indeed, elder. Our army is in unfamiliar land after being swept away by the giant flood. We do not have quite enough supplies to venture forward for far, and our supply line is broken. We’ll definitely pay the town of Rockdale back in full and more, when the situation is more allowing.”

Elder Streng tapped on the desk several times, and then he breathed out heavily. “Princess, mister dragon, we Rockdalers have always been a simple people. We always want to remain what we were, and therefore we ask any visitor not to make us known to the others. But that doesn’t mean we do not value hospitality to those who we indeed meet and who are in need.”

He paused and said. “We don’t expect you to give back what we give you, for that would be usury, not charity. However, we’re already in quite a food shortage given the lack of sun. We have to resort to eating mushrooms that we found under rocks. For a town our size, we really cannot afford to give out any more food to outsiders, I’m afraid.”

Looking at a sea of disappointed faces, the elder raised his hoof. “Now, while we’re not in a position to give food, we do have other provisions to spare: cloth, horseshoes, saddlebags and so on. You can make camp on the depleted fields outside the town. Our wells are also free for you to use. Let’s not it be said that Rockdalers are a miserly people, or Rockdale a town which refuses to help her country in need.”

Geuse looked around to gather everyone’s reaction, and said slowly. “Thank you very much, Elder Streng. We know that this must be difficult enough for you and Rockdale already.”

“Despite everything, I advise you to leave for a place that can better accommodate such a large amount of soldiers. Our folks are not used to so many outsiders in and out of the town. Even when a lone merchant does show up, they always only do trade through my office.”

Catching what the elder hinted at, Spike nodded. “We would try out best to keep to our best discipline.”

Elder Streng mulled. “That’s not the only worrying matter. The last time a royal army got lost and made a stay at Rockdale, some five hundred years ago, a devastating plague hit our town. Our folks have since believe even more that soldiers only brought misfortune.”

The listeners winced and frowned. Spike pondered and said. “Given how secluded Rockdale is, it’s natural that outsiders might bring in diseases that they have no resistance against.”

Pisacan suggested. “We shall minimize contact between townsfolk and the soldiers during our stay.”

Kanipha nodded. “Maybe we can select only a hoof-ful of most healthy soldiers to handle any direct interaction?”

Shining Armor then hurriedly asked. “My good elder, we would definitely hurry and go. But may we know where is the next major settlement that we would likely get enough supplies from?”

“Big settlements nearby? Sorry, we know not much about that, and what we know might not be entirely… up to date, so to speak, seeing how we don’t even know of the return of the Crystal Empire.”

Cadance bit her lips. “Any bit would help, Elder Streng.”

The elder let out a sigh, and began to think aloud. “This corner of land is rather empty. There is no other settlement all the way up the Rockdale Valley. You would have to go through the Icecloud Pass and walk down the face of the Crystal Mountain… If our records are still correct, the unicorn settlement of Ville de Platine should sit at the feet of the mountain.”

Geuse bowed. “That’s immensely helpful. Thank you very much, Elder Streng.”

“Before you go, I must ask you and mister dragon something.”

“Yes?” The two belted out in surprise.

“I’m interested how you two are so fluent in our ancestral tongue. Never have we seen any Equestrian speak our language so. Are you two from the Old East, where our erstwhile brethren live after the griffons took over?”

Spike licked his lips. “No exactly. I learn West Germane from my adopted mother. She’s an academic who’s interested in ancient history, and she made me learn a range of languages that were once more widely spoken in Equestria. It’s a fortunate coincidence that it is of use here.”

Geuse then said. “And I’m not from the East. Rather, I’m from the distant land of West Zebrica. In there we speak a tongue very close to yours, which was probably brought over by your ancient kindred. I’ve since spent time with relations of Spike… the dragon over here, who also know how to speak West Germane… So yeah.”

“I see.”

The elder remained mostly neutral. “So let me announce this in our weekly meeting with the townsfolk in this afternoon. When you see we raise a blue pennant on this meeting house, you and your soldiers may begin to move in.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spike was sitting inside a dilapidated farm house teaching Equestrian to Puuska. That was when Rainga and Yolana both walked in through the barn door.

“Oh, hey Rainga, Yolana, how’s it going out there?” Spike raised a brow.

Yolana muttered. “Mister Spike, the soldiers of all races settled down fairly quickly, although a few are not quite accustomed to the climate and got a bit ill. All of them already got better after they had some rest. Unlike us muskoxen, most other races prefer having an overhead. Now that we have one, it helps morale somewhat.”

Rainga put her tongue out and then said. “Ah well, I think they’re more concerned that they’re suddenly so far from home and away from Isojoki, their original destination. Many of them are worried about how they’re going home now that they’re kind of lost.”

Yolana nodded. “Also, our soldiers are keenly aware of supply issues. Many are talking about living off the land now that we have no way to source them from either Tashuragan (Stony Cave; Earth Mother’s cave) or Hvideskov. Our current supplies would deplete in some five days. At worst, we can let our soldiers simply graze on fresh grass somewhere, and maybe go tell the white wolves fish in some stream. But it would take up considerable time.”

Rainga looked unamused. “Not to mention that most of us think that foraging like this is…”

She gave a careful glance to Yolana and Spike, then gulped. “… a bit too primitive. And, um, no offense to muskoxen.”

Yolana graciously waved. “Not at all.”

“We have to figure out a plan soon. Have all commanders gathered already?”

“Yeah, da- um, Spike.”

“Ah, I vil com tu.” Puuska spoke up.

“… Wait what?” Yolana and Rainga looked shocked when the white wolf chimed in.

“Whoa, you learn pretty fast, huh?” Spike grinned.

Struggling to express his more complex ideas, he slipped back to Susian. “When I was first sent to Ursia, I don’t know a word in Ursian. I’m used to catch up from zero… And of course, listening to you all talking before help me catching the gist somewhat, even though it’s still mostly opaque because how different words are conjugated.”

“Fair enough.”

The group walked out of the abandoned farm house and to another larger barn where the other leaders were waiting.

Looking at the two ‘princesses’ of their respective nations on their way, Spike was relieved that they seemed to be getting on with each other much better than when they first set off.

“Excuse me, Yolana.”

The female muskox looked back. “Yes, Mister Spike?”

“Nothing, I just… think that so many unexpected things have happened since we set out from the Cave of Earth Mother.”

Yolana’s gaze flickered. “Yes indeed.”

“Do you think that it’s, like, all planned ahead by some divine presence, like the Ulgen that you always refer to?”

Yolana stopped in her track and turned back to the purple dragon with an interested gaze. “Does a divine plan exist, you ask?”

She grinned. “That is beyond our understanding, even for me, the Qam Qatun. Ulgen, for example, gives hints and signs sparingly, and leaves the rest to our own reason and faculty.”

“But you did say that Ulgen’s sign signals great change.”

“True.”

The dark brown muskox bobbed her head. Then she gingerly smiled. “The spirits and the divine might have set out the material changes in our surroundings, but they are hints and nudges compared to our initiatives. The divine helps those who help themselves. And those who quickly make the best out of what happens are those who are favored.”

Spike raised a brow and sighed. “I understand. But it’s just… so unpredictable, so hard to grasp. All plans go to the gutter when forces beyond our control, such as the flood, hit. I can’t help but feel that even someone as powerful as Nighthewer was just a cosmic plaything. Then what is it that makes us?”

Surprisingly, it was Rainga who then interjected. “Now, now! Quit getting all… what’s it? Yeah, existential! Just listen to what Yolana said and deal with the present!”

Yolana broke into a chuckle. “Hehe, Rainga put it concisely what I wanted to say.”

Spike was a bit surprised that Rainga came to Yolana’s defense. He smiled and said. “Heh, when do you two get along so well, huh?”

The two looked at each other with widened eyes, and then bloomed into a knowing smile together. “It’s a secret!”

Spike raised his brows, and then helplessly grinned. The little moment of heartfelt warmth was pleasing to bask in. Puuska looked on from behind, seemingly deep in his thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Welcome, everyone. To you happiness and health.”

Spike said in Old Draconic, Equestrian and Susian, each language once. “Are all of you feeling well? I hope that the journey on the rough waters and being in unfamiliar lands do not make any of you sick.”

After seeing a wave of cautious headshakes and frank brush-offs, he then said. “Very well. Then are the soldiers from every battalion well settled in? Are there any conflicts with the local Rockdale residents?”

Suologievra and Puuska looked to each other, and the young wolf raised his front leg. “Respected Spike, one of our auxiliaries got into a kerfuffle with a local buggy driver.”

Spike frowned. “Oh… What happened? Any injuries?”

Suologievra stroked her cheek. “No. But the language barrier prevented us from gauging whether the locals were truly pacified.”

Puuska continued. “It was a few hours ago. We followed the Deermark battalion into the southwestern fields. That was when a young pony female pulled her buggy across the street. Apparently she found us a bit too frightening, and in a panic her buggy was overturned. Some gems and vases were thrown down onto the ground and shattered. Some locals, possibly her relations, gathered and shouted at us. But as more Snow Guards showed up in their full gears, the locals seemed to be deterred and they scattered.”

Spike was not amused. “My good paramount chief and honorable prince, this will be seen as bullying of the locals by force. We’ve promised impeccable discipline, and this runs against it.”

Puuska pouted. “Our Snow Guards already righted the buggy, parked it and tidied up the scene. They even pieced up some of the vases themselves. I resent the notion that we’re bullying them.”

“Puuska, you were a diplomat. You out of all white wolves should understand that sometimes it’s perception, rather than intention, that matters.”

Puuska widened his eyes, while Suologievra let out a muffled, knowing snort. The young wolf narrowed his eyes briefly, but eventually sighed. “So what do you suggest us to do?”

“There is not much that you can do, as none of you have knowledge of West Germane. I will personally visit the affected and apologize.”

Suologievra wrapped her tails backwards and raised her brows. “Well then, I thank you for the troubles you have to endure, Respected Spike.”

“… I have a responsibility to you after all.”

Spike turned his glance away from the pensive duo. “I believe that it is dealt with. Let us move to the most important thing that we must all agree before moving on.”

Sweeping his gaze to the expectant faces, he began again. “We have strayed far away from our original destination. Now that we’re south of the mountain, we must hammer out a new plan for our subsequent action.”

Rainga immediately said. “So what is preventing us from directly sailing back to Isojoki after repairing our ships?”

After some translating by Spike, it was Puuska who offered a surprisingly counter-point. “Even though we seldom sail south of the mountain, we know that the current here would have brought us to the deep south before going north again near the coast of the eastern lands. While it would eventually bring us to the Susian coast, it would take up to a whole month, and we definitely don’t have enough supplies for that.”

“Are you doubting the prowess of our heroic rowers?” Magnar again huffed after hearing Puuska’s words. He also muttered some more words under his breath, but Spike wisely decided not to translate those.

Puuska coolly smirked. “Not at all, Thane Magnar. But however strong your rowers are, they are bounded by the laws of physics just like us. Your… illustrious Firstling ancestors also have to be subjected to the mercy of ocean currents while on sea. From what I’ve understood, within that sanctuary created by the white titan, the widest stretch of water you’ve encountered was merely some large rivers. Those were no merciless oceans. Unless every one of the rowers are, for instance, freakishly strong bugbears, we would have bleached by salty sea winds before we even see the north of the mountain.”

After hearing a toned-down version of Puuska’s speech, plus a placating addendum from Spike himself, the thane crossed his hooves and did not speak further.

Prince Stellan then offered. “Perhaps we can march across the mountain on land?”

Pisacan raised a brow and said. “The forces under the orange witch must be all over the more accessible parts of Crystal Mountain. Look at the high mountains around us, they might as well be an impassable bush of jutting spikes.”

Spike nodded. “Pisa, since you seem to be aware of the geography around the area, can you suggest where can we go to secure passage to the north again?”

“… It is quite implausible to try to find a land route that can accommodate an army our size. There is a reason why there is practically no meaningful communication between the south and the so-called Frozen North. The closest route that I can think of is a mountain pass directly to the north of Ville de Platine. It was a narrow road that was a gem mine trail a thousand years ago, but I don’t really have any information as to what it looks like now. It might get us to the north, but it’s a big might.”

“Sounds better than nothing, to be honest.”

“But!”

Pisacan quickly cautioned. “Ville de Platine sat upon the hillside of Yaket Range. It looks over the main passage from Nova Roama to the prosperous Equestrian East Coast. Besides, it had been an ancient vassal to the Crystal Empire. It did develop a distinct identity based around Prench culture and later declared independence, but some Crystallians never quite managed to let it go. There is no chance in Tartarus that the chauvinistic orange witch is going to overlook the city.”

Spike bit his lips. “But no matter what, Ville de Platine seems like our next and only logical destination. We should try reaching the north again and finish our business.”

Suologievra suddenly said. “Respected Spike, I don’t think that we’re in that much a hurry to retake Isojoki.”

The purple dragon was almost stunned. He did not expect that from someone who seemed to have the most at stake. “Wait, really?”

“This march to the north will be fraught with hardship and even casualties. We’re an army with ample fighting prowess but little supplies, what we should do is to… secure a place with resources and skilled workers first.”

Spike stressed. “We’re not going to pillaging around-”

“No, no, that’s not what mother means. We simply don’t want our best fighting force to be lost against the elements instead of real enemies.”

Puuska smirked. “Don’t you always want to build a northern alliance against the forces of the orange unicorn? Here you are, our force fresh for your use. If ancestors wish us to be in the south for the time being, we might as well fight these foes off, before returning to Isojoki.”

Cadance and Shining Armor almost had to cover their mouths to avoid looking too excited. Pisacan also looked intrigued. Spike, however, asked. “Are you sure about that? I’d be blunt, but this doesn’t sound like the white wolves’ war to fight.”

Puuska snorted. “Would I be denounced if I say I really want to pick on some ponies to fight, with a good chance to win as well?”

“Oh you didn’t.”

Spike wagged his claw and glared. “You know very well that I’d be… far from glad if I see any sort of bad discipline against pony combatants and civilians.”

“Quit joking around, spud.”

Suologievra jabbed her son’s side and said. “I just want to see to your success. It’s about time we take down the bogey-pony from the pyre. If you can really bring about the revival of the greys, it would be a golden opportunity to convince our people to finally take rein of their own lives, instead of shirking the prospects of building for the future by fueling ancient hatred.”

Spike would have been simply glad to hear the heartfelt support for his vision, but he could not help but think about Puuska’s earlier expose about white wolf nobles. Despite so, he graciously smiled. “Thank you for your support, Suologievra.”

He turned to the others. “What about the others? Should we operate in the south for the moment, before we resupply and find a safer way to go back?”

Yolana said. “We will follow the majority’s decision, as long as it foster the togetherness of all northern races.”

Rainga softly smiled. “Gram said that we’re all yours to command, and I’m sticking to that promise.”

Prince Stellan gave a thoughtful look to Cadance and then Spike, and said. “It would be a poetic matter, for us, erstwhile children of Alba and Aida, to return to Roama in her time of need. Besides, as a people newly liberated from the protective bound of the praised Nighthewer, we have no other agenda other than following the will of His successor.”

Spike looked queasy. “Well… But is there any concern that you’d like to address? Any matter of… hum, national interest, say?”

Stellan looked at an already laughing Magnar, and joined in with a sustained chuckle. Spike was mystified, until Frigg chimed in from the side-line.

“My brilliant Spike, you speak so gravely about the machinations of a people, who till a short while ago was so few and so forlorn, was lifted from certain oblivion by the dragon champion that was foretold in legends.”

Stellan said smilingly. “Frigg is right. We, as a nation, have dwindled to the lowest of the low, and our only hope was salvation through a last-ditch holy battle.”

Magnar laughed. “We are pretty much all set to breathe our last! So what’s this little logistic trouble to us?”

Stellan nodded. “We’d be happy to fight this battle as you lead us, so long as you stay afterwards and help guide us rebuild our nations in a new age and new world.”

Spike gulped and said. “Thank you all for your trust and support.”

Cadance softly added. “Spike, we’re glad to have you. You’re the best thing to happen to us besides Twilight.”

Shining Armor scratched his head. “I don’t know what we can ever do to repay you. You turn out to be the most reliable and determined one among us.”

Spike put up a sad smile. “Don’t get ahead of ourselves right now. We still don’t know what lies ahead of us. Congratulate me after we finally have peace, okay?”

After a moment of quietness, Geuse asked. “Are we moving out soon, then?”

Spike nodded. “That’s my plan. After this meeting, we’ll all return to our posts. Once all our supplies have been moved from the shore to the town and loaded onto the carts, we’ll rest for the night. Then we’d depart in the early morning and move onto Ville de Platine.”

A round of nods followed, and the participants in the meeting left one by one to their duties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The stay in Rockdale was otherwise uneventful. Spike managed to track down the buggy driver and apologized to her and her family. It turned out that they were a family of potters, and the mare was pulling their products to exchange for increasingly expensive firewood.

The dragon then offered them his own fiery breath, which came as a pleasant surprise to the family, because they never managed to make their kiln hot enough to make finer clayworks. He ended up staying with the family for the whole night making batches of expensive porcelains.

The thankful family even gave him a decorative plate as a gift. They almost made them stay, before Spike revealed his status as a leader in the army. The shocked looks were palpably amusing.

Much less amusing was having to march on high mountains, he thought. The Icecloud Pass, despite its name, was barely passable. There was no road of any kind, or even anything resembling treaded path. The mountain face was littered with sharp rubbles and obsidian rocks, cutting into any unprotected feet. It was dangerously precipitous, and a platoon of muskoxen almost got buried in a rockslide, if not for their sheer combined strength that held back the cascading rocks.

After finally crossing the V-shaped pass in narrow columns, the army was stretched thin and exhausted. They carefully made a descent and snaked down in an S-shape route, until they reached the valley floor. A small stream flowed down from distant Everhoof. The army drank from the stream, before taking a brief rest to reorganize and soothe the hurt legs from the difficult march.

A small team of scouts, this time from the white wolf battalion, was sent out to the downstream direction to ensure clear passage, but they came back with shocking news.

“What? Crystallian army in our direction?” Spike widened his eyes.

Suologievra said. “Yes, Respected Spike. Our scouts saw the snowflake pennant from afar. They can’t be mistaken, especially since one of them confirmed that the flag was the same to what he saw when the orange unicorn arrived at Isojoki.”

“But what are they coming up to the mountains for? There are only snow-capped mountains upstream, and Crystal Empire is another way…! They couldn’t have discovered us and come to fight us, right?”

Puuska looked at Suologievra, who snorted in a knowing smirk. “That, I’m afraid, is rather unlikely.”

“Why?”

“Those ponies do not look like a fighting force. They carry supplies rather than weapons.”

Spike looked incredulous. “Why would a Crystallian supply train march onto a mountain?”

Suologievra grinned. “I don’t think they have as much choice as when you beat the forces of my pups into a pulp, Respected Spike.”

“So you’re saying that they’re a defeated force?”

“Not so much as a defeated force as a fleeing force. Their banner was tattered, and their formation is scattered. The force was stretched into a broken thin line, which suggested that they marched on the order of retreating as quickly as possible.”

After Spike translated the situation to the other commanders, he noticed that everyone was watching him with a wily look. He asked with a frown. “What about it?”

“I say, my good dragon savior, we beat them up while they’re down!” Magnar proclaimed.

“That’s a golden opportunity for us to obtain much needed supplies.” Stellan nodded.

“I don’t see why we shouldn’t pounce on them, Spike. We need that food and they’re our enemy.” Rainga licked her lips.

Yolana did not look particularly excited, but she made a circular motion with her hoof and said. “If that’s what needs to be done, so be it.”

Puuska observed the eager looks and said. “If they all want to do it, better be quick. The convoy will be within sight in an hour, and we’ll lose the element of surprise by then… Not that it would be a devastating disadvantage against a fleeing foe, given that we have the high grounds, but anything that reduces potential casualties on our side is a good thing.”

Cadance and Shining Armor looked nervous, however. The pink alicorn whispered to him. “Spike, not that I’m going to stop this, given that our country has likely been tragically fallen into wrong hooves, but I… I just hope that you may pull your blows and give mercy. After all, these crystal ponies are probably only those who have mistakenly believed in her hateful rhetoric, if not outright brainwashed into her service.”

“Of course, Princess Cadance.”

Pisacan frowned. She softly coughed and said. “Spike, it’s a bit premature to assume that these are enemies, isn’t it?”

Kanipha nodded. “Pisacan is right. Although their conditions might imply that there are conflicts in this area, we don’t really know about the allegiance or condition of this band of Crystallian soldiers.”

Geuse said cautiously. “I agree. For all we know, Sunset Shimmer might have been tyrannical enough to make her own citizenry rise up against her. While our action must be quick and on the mark, we ourselves shan’t be too headlong and presuming.”

Spike let out a thoughtful hum, then clasped his paws together. “We shall encircle this supply train and force it to surrender. And then we’d extract information from its commander to get a better understanding of what’s happening in the south.”

He said to Puuska and Suologievra. “White wolf battalion, you should cross the stream and lie in wait behind the U-bend. When the crystal ponies arrive at the bend, you are to rush to their rear and cut off their means to escape.”

Turning to Yolana, he said. “Yolana, the muskoxen should guard the rear of the white wolves and reinforce any breaks created after they charge forward.”

He then told the Firstling thane and Lucentian Prince. “Magnar, Stellan. The Firstling and the Lucent should march in packed schiltrom formation and await the howling signal from white wolf battalion. Then you shall march and clamp down on convoy together with the white wolves in a pincer movement. Hopefully we can pin them to the steep mountainside, and force a surrender out of them without any casualties.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Spike, when we’re back and all dusts are settled, I’m going to find a stenographer to stalk you and record everything you say.”

“Why, Kanny?”

“Because you’re like a dang prophet. So far every plan and order of yours bore fruits. Come to think of it, Frigg might not be that far off for setting up a proper cult centering around you.”

“Haha, very funny. Let’s get to the front and see what was that about first, shall we?”

“Yeah, that’s even easier than I thought.” Geuse interjected.

Once they reached the front line, the full view of the Crystallian army entered their eyes. They immediately understood the reason that they surrendered so readily.

The convoy was battered and completely demoralized, and most of the soldiers were wounded. Few, if any of them, still had their weapons in their hooves, and some of them even fled into the wagons for cover. Only through the sheer rallying power of their commander that the convoy maintained its cohesion, and not descended into a rout. However, if the northern army was to really clamp down on this shadow of a fighting force, it would immediately turn into a completely one-sided massacre.

A crystal pony stallion, wearing an embroidered brown surcoat over full armor, walked towards Spike’s group alone with a raised white flag. When he got close, he took out their regimental pennant from his saddlebag, unfurled and rerolled it. He then looked around to see in front of who exactly to kneel down at. There was clear surprise on his face when Magnar and others all pointed to Spike.

“Tell me your name and post, officer.”

The officer cleared his throat and said. “First Captain Marin of the Serenissima brigade support battalion.”

“Very well. I, Spike of the… Northern Alliance, will accept your surrender of colors.”

Marin looked bemused when he heard the name and allegiance of the small dragon, but he handed over the rolled pennant to the dragon regardless. Spike promptly gave the colors to the officers next to him to pass into storage.

“Captain Marin, as commander of this army, I guarantee the safety and dignity of you and your soldiers while in our custody.”

“On the behalf of my soldiers, I thank you for your honorable conduct, Spike the dragon.”

“Now, captain. We would be very interested in knowing what prompted the seemingly frantic retreat of your army.”

Looking at the incredibly hesitant look on the captain’s face, Spike added. “Of course, you’re not obligated to tell us anything. We would not do anything untoward either. But I suppose you too have some questions regarding our identities as well, don’t you?”

Marin frowned, and sighed. “Indeed. We do not expect to see such a large and well-equipped army emerging from the deeps of snowy mountains.”

“So I will tell you our goal and identity, and in exchange you will tell us what lies ahead if we continue our way downstream. Deal?”

The captain rubbed his blue, dirt-covered chin, and appeared reluctant again. Spike was about to coax him further, when he shifted his gaze to the group of ponies behind him and cried out in shock.

“Principessa! Oh dear, Y- Your Highness, I- I don’t know you’re still alive!”

Cadance gave a gaze to Spike, and walked up with a look of mild annoyance. “Tut, apparently I’m dead now. Does Sunset Shimmer claim this?”

“U- Um… yes, the Guida made an impassioned announcement when she proclaimed the annexation of Yakyakistan into Crystallian domain.”

“My good captain, a lot of things happened to us in this forced exile of ours. We would like to know what happened in the time when we’re gone.”

“What happened…? Dear Crystal Heart, we’re at war again…”

Shining Armor also walked up. “That we can gather from your look. But against who?”

“The rebels, of course. Those who are sadly against the Collegamento and rose against us.”

“What? What do you mean by that?”

“Guida Sunset Shimmer had planned to peacefully negotiate the reannexation of Argentoratae (Ville de Platine) and Bosforo (Vanhoofer) into the Crystal Empire. However this earned some unfortunate ire from certain sectors in Equestria, who claimed that this is an overreach on the part of Crystal Empire.”

“Well, duh.” A sarcastic groan came from behind, but none of the listeners pretended to notice.

“… The Guida went to Canterlot to negotiate, but a riot broke out which forced her to take control of the royal capital. When the Equestrian princesses were reportedly missing, she asserted protectorship over the royal government and proclaimed a full union of Equestria and Crystal Empire.”

“Holy buck!” Shining Armor could not help but swear aloud.

“But the East Coast as well as the South were far too stubborn to see to Guida’s intention to stabilize Equestria and bring it to further glory alongside the resurging Crystal Empire, and they rose in revolt against us.”

Geuse looked unamused. “If that’s not a blindingly biased account of what happened, I would swallow my trident in front of everypony.”

Spike looked grim. “So she somehow pulled a successful coup in Canterlot and triggered a civil war.”

Marin quietly huffed. “The Crystalline Army will certainly put an end to these rabbles and brought peace again to the land.”

Shining Armor couldn’t help but scoff. “After bringing it into complete chaos in the first place?”

Cadance sighed heavily. “Captain Marin, I’m afraid you’re being misled by Sunset Shimmer. She… does not have the best interest of you all in her mind.”

“Why cushion your words, honey? She’s a traitor, that’s what she is!”

Marin widened his eyes. “W- What?”

Shining Armor squeezed out in anger. “She used hypnotizing magic on us to make us do her bidding, and then throw us to the yaks when we no longer have any use to her.”

The captain looked stunned. But after a while, he grunted and said. “… Prince, Princess, as a captain of Crystal Empire, I answer to the supreme commander of the Army. And that commander is Guida Sunset Shimmer right now. We answer to no one but her, not even you, Your Highness.”

This time it was Cadance and Shining Armor who looked shocked. “What?”

“And privately, as a Crystallian citizen, I believe in the Guida. I cannot stand such baseless smear against her, even… no, especially when it comes from the mouths of our Prince and Princess. In fact, I have half a mind to accuse you two being changeling spies from the south-”

“When did you become such a slavish follower to that orange witch, huh?”

The sudden voice was like a thunder in Marin’s ear, as he staggered and searched for the source. Pisacan looked positively simmering, her green eyes did not, and indeed, could not focus on him, but Marin felt as pressured all the same.

“L- L- Lady Pisacan?!”

“Judging from your reaction, you seem to think that I’m dead too, Cousin Marin!”

“B- But Guida said y- you’re…”

“I’m what? A traitor? A ghost?”

Pisacan coldly huffed. “Ask yourself if those matter more than the fact that you’re acting so impudently in front of me. And think what happens if I denounce you in front of all our clan members.”

Marin wheezed and gulped. After a while, he said with some stutter. “I- I… no, I must’ve been mistaken, Lady Pisacan.”

“Good. Remember who you are, Marin di Vinidi.”

The others looked at this short exchange with varying degrees of amazement. None of them saw this Pisacan before – assertive and iron-hooved, making a full-grown stallion shuddering in his own armor with her mere voice.

After a labored silence, Marin managed to ask. “L- Lady Pisacan, i- is it true that you’ve been b- blinded by…”

“You know well that I would have choked the Tartarus out of you if I can see where I put my hooves to, just for the stupid bile you’ve just said about that orange witch. And don’t you for a second think that I’m in any way weaker because I can’t see.”

“Y- Yes, Lady Pisacan.”

“Marin, cut the nonsense and straight up tell us what the hay happened to Crystal Empire, her army, the Vinidis, and last, what in the name of Vinidius set you lots fleeing up the mountains. Are our clan members in this army too?”

“Uhmm, yes. So uh… the Guida had taken control of the Vinidi estate after the conquest of Yakyakistan. A lot of dislo- I mean, cousins who opposed her got sent into the mines in the cold mountain. But it seems that after she made an example out of the most rebellious ones, she drafted the rest of us into the army.”

“So did she use any witchery to make ponies obey or not?”

“N- No! The Guida only ever use her wise words to make us realize-”

“Got it. But say one more positive word about that orange witch and see what happens.”

Cold sweat dripped from Marin’s forehead. “Y- Yes… Initially we stay behind the frontline, b- but since the Canterlot front was sucking in so many hoofpower, the Guida gather the remaining Vinidis and organized us into a field support brigade. We are then sent to Argentoratum to help suppress a popular rebellion.”

Spike interjected. “Hang on a sec, the Canterlot front? Didn’t you say that she had taken Canterlot already?”

Marin’s look was uncertain, but after being glared daggers by Pisacan again, he quickly said. “Signore Spike, it’s true that Canterlot was in Crystallian control, but as we attempted to solidify it, some pesky lots from Ponyville engineered a massive breakout to the south, and with the remaining ponies shipped off somewhere else to labor, the royal capital was almost emptied overnight.”

This elicited some hopeful murmurs from the listeners, but Spike simply continued.

“I’ll pretend not hearing the part about forced labor, but what then? Did you guys try to fight your way south?”

Marin’s expression turned even sourer. “The southern rebels were ridiculously tenacious. The army suffered a major indignity there, when they were ambushed in a diamond dog settlement. And when reinforcement was being sent in, the earth was completely obliterated by them blowing up all the mines along the Saddle River...”

Spike quietly gasped as he thought of safety of his beloved Rarity.

“… It’s like a Tartarus-scape now, and it’s almost impossible for an army to move across the land. Even scouts that we sent in disappear to nowhere. What shame, as the Guida was hopeful that the Cruzesian army in Ponyville might be responsive to a plea to help.”

Spike could not help but tutted. “As if.”

Marin shifted. “… So the Guida ordered part of the army to fortify the royal capital and survey the situation closely. Also, to prevent these rebels from linking up to those in the East, she prepared and casted a major sealing spell along the Rambling Rock Ridge. After ensuring that not a soul could pass, she turned her attention to the East, a place that requires our utmost attention.”

“Wait, did you just say that she sealed shut a whole frigging mountain range?”

Marin showed a rare smile. “The Guida is an extremely talented and powerful unicorn. After all, she’s the one who defeated King Sombra and returned us to the mundane world.”

After Spike fervently calmed down the fuming Pisacan, he continued. “Go on. Now what’s happening in the East?”

“We don’t have much reliable information. Though we know that some upstart pegasus called Lion Muzzle in Argentoratum was the source of all our headache. We’ve originally negotiated a peaceful agreement with Prince Blueblood, who was then in the city, but this pegasus must have heard about the ruckus in Canterlot and thought he could pull something off against us. He rallied the citizens and attacked Blueblood’s residence at night. All officials who are partial to us were also rounded up.”

Spike sighed. “Blueblood… This guy...”

“What, do you know him?” Kanipha asked.

“He’s a powerful duke and distant relative to the Princesses. But he’s a useless piece of crap, if I might be blunt. He’s done nothing majorly bad yet, but he’s an all-around jerk to almost everyone. Rarity used to fantasize about him until she actually knows more about him.”

Pisacan’s anger gave way to surprise. “Oh, wow, Spike, you seem so casually nonchalant about, um, that.”

“He’s a miserable bloke, and I’d be even more miserable if I got jealous of him because of some harmless fantasy. But I just never thought that he would be actively acting against his aunt and Equestria.”

“I resent that remark! The Princesses certainly would have invested full trust in-”

Spike dismissed him with barely a thought. “Yeah, yeah. So what sent you up onto the hills?”

“The Guida have extracted every possible pair of hooves and sent in a large army of elite soldiers to Argentoratum. She wanted to make an example out of them for their blatant disloyalty, to make the East Coast cities rethink their ambiguous stance.”

“Who’s the commander?” Pisacan asked bluntly.

“… A- Asclepias.”

Pisacan looked momentarily shaken, but she soon gritted her teeth and spat. “So he’s gone on to serve that orange witch after all.”

“Lady Pisacan! Signore Asclepias defended the rights of the remaining Vinidis, and saved us from the ignominy of treason!”

Spike again interrupted. “We’ll see to that later, but first, did you lose?”

Marin’s look was ashen. “… It was a disaster. Lion Muzzle was a master tactician. We never thought they would come out and assault us, seeing how we’re well fortified and had superior number. But the mad stallion did it. Their pegasus contingent clamped down on us along with the unicorn rock slingers on the ground. We have little experience dealing with organized flying enemies, since Cloudsdale surrendered without much a fight. Their vertical columns broke through our lines, cutting us into three and rounded us up. We was retreating west, but the bridge over Whinnypeg River collapsed and caused a horrible stampede. Asclepias and his army surrendered and were captured.”

Pisacan tried her best to mask the worry on her face. “I assume that you’re part of the relief to that unmitigated failure?”

“… No, we’re part of Signore Asclepias’s army as well. I have seen the chaos in the front line, and quickly turned back to preserve our supplies. We’ve hid in the woods for some days, but as their scouts close in on us, we have to hide even higher up the mountains to wait for the relief.”

Spike mulled. “And then you ran into us.”

“That’s correct…”

Spike patted his chest plate. “Thank you, captain, this is about it. You and your brigade will soon be directed to a suitable place within our procession. We’ll discuss this matter within ourselves, but barring major events, we’ll be heading down to Ville de Platine to negotiate a peaceful passage. Your safety is guaranteed in our hands.”