• Published 24th Sep 2016
  • 862 Views, 22 Comments

Evenfall: Verdant White - Yinglung



After the reunion, the group of new and old friends turned their attention towards the cold north, where troubling news was coming out.

  • ...
1
 22
 862

Chapter 12 – City of Light, City of Right

Spike felt a sense of déjà vu when he scanned the assorted friends and companions of his around his hospital bed.

He blinked, and his dry lips weakly moved. No word came out, only a few shallow, short breaths.

It was not entirely right to call it déjà vu, he wryly thought. This scene was a carbon copy of his hospital visit just some days ago, after the tragedy at Suologievra’s funeral.

The difference this time, though, was the expressions on his friends’ faces. In addition to discomfort and unease, there was suspicion, and even anger.

He knew that those emotions were by far not directed to him, but someone else. He could barely mind when he was this weak physically, though.

He coughed, and along with the coughs came a strangling sensation of pain, as if his intestines were tied into a series of knots, and then yanked left and right. Fortunately, this time nothing was being coughed out, other than the tears of pain squeezed out from the corner of his eyes.

Pinkie hurriedly poured a glass of water and fed it to his mouth. Spike weakly smiled and said. “Thanks, Pinks. I *cough* I’m already feeling much better.”

“This is not called ‘better’! Look at you, poor thing! You look as pale as fine sugar!”

Spike drily chuckled. “Poor thing? Geez, I’m fine. You sound like Fluttershy towards small injured animals, you know.”

Before Pinkie could retort, Kanipha already interjected with a deep frown. “I can’t believe you try to risk your life like this again, Spike. You’re a commander for crying out loud. You have thousands of soldiers at your disposal. Delegate your work! Don’t risk your life by going alone! The alliance would disintegrate the moment you fall, don’t you realize that?!”

Wincingly, Spike protested. “Don’t be unreasonable, Kanny… Don’t you know what would happen if fight did break out back then? The Villian army will surely join in against us, and we’d be no more than a bunch of caged beasts, ready to be canned and beat down. The whole army of ours would be gone, and everything we’ve done so far would be for nothing…”

Geuse also frowned. “Spike, I know you want to protect as many as possible. Still, it took Twilie some time to realize this as well in Zebrica – an army is a collective. And even as we joined force recently, an army shares its load over many hooves and paws. You need not try to do everything yourself. Kanny is right, a good leader delegates. We all want to help, so please, please never overexert yourself like this again.”

Spike bit his lips, and eventually sighed without nodding or shaking his head.

Yolana said softly. “Miss Geuse is right. We need you, so you must take utmost care of yourself.”

Spike looked aside. Out of all companions he had, he was most unable to fathom her and the muskoxen in general. Her stated goal was noble, but as far as he understood it, it was mostly tied to the benefits the muskoxen tribe would gain by peace in the north and preventing the ‘shadow’ from befalling the three races… which now turned out to be five, to be technically correct.

The dragon mulled and said. “Yolana, I thank you and the muskoxen for your suppor-”

“Good Spike, you don’t need to doubt the steadfastness of the muskoxen.”

Spike’s jaw hung open. The black-haired muskox was unnervingly perceptive, presumably hearing his uncertain tone. He felt a bit ashamed that he seemed to be doubting the muskoxen in front of basically every commander of the northern alliance, but he did want to hear what she would say next.

Yolana observed the dragon, then said after a long silence. “We muskoxen are few, but we are happy few following behind you. Of course, we all put in our full effort to get to where we are now, but you…”

Pausing with a smile, she then continued. “Well, I have not foreseen this when I was consulting the Sky Father, yet everything that happened showed that you’re key to the eventual peace and unity of not just the north, and beyond as well. Alas, with a song and a speech, you move the hearts of these red-eyed ponies. You work magic without magic, and our yak cousins certainly were right in calling you the dragon champion.”

Pale and weak as Spike was, he still felt embarrassed at being praised so directly in front of so many people. He mumbled. “Yolana, I am just… a simple dragon caught up in-”

“Your humility, while appreciated, compares not to what actually transpired, Spike. I know you and others…”

Yolana gave a side glance to Rainga, who emitted a dull nasal noise in response. “… might not be inclined to believe in our beliefs, but still, we’d always thought that we’re all instruments of the divine will… or at least, something much bigger than just who we are or where we belong. Some, though, instead of calling it the divine will, might call it hope for the future, or threads of fate, or destiny.”

Spike mulled and gave Yolana a quiet look of acknowledgement. She smiled again and said. “Say, didn’t you come north originally to fulfill a divine quest given by the Spirits of Harmony? You may think of me as someone who’s on something of the same nature. Our faith in our own spirits might be somewhat foreign, but my wish to embody their benevolent will for peace and prosperity is all the same. Please do not think less of our sincerity because our beliefs seem enigmatic and hinge on higher power.”

Before Spike could respond, though, Frigg already mused with some concurrent expecting looks from Stellan and Magnar. “Higher power? Well, look no further than the dragon before you…”

His face a swirly mixture of awkwardness and bashfulness, Spike endured the thesis of his supposed divinity by the silver-coated mare. Eventually, he interrupted. “Okay, Frigg, I thank you kindly for your devotion, but that’s quite enough. Yolana, I am by no mean doubting your sincerity. I only think that the muskoxen might be… tired of a foreign war on a foreign land, the same of which goes to all of you.”

Every commander almost retorted at once, but the group eventually deferred to Yolana, who shook her head and said. “This war is not foreign to the muskoxen. Divine guidance and the peace of the land at stake notwithstanding, as you may remember, we’re also bounded by blood ties to our poor yak cousins. The muskoxen abhor violence, but we’re not going to sit there as justice laid ravished and perverted.”

“I see…”

Rainga pat her chest and said. “And needless to say, the deer stood at full force behind you, I guarantee!”

“Rainga, I of course know that you are standing firmly behind me. But I’ve always been concerned that the deer…”

“Look, da. I’m still learning, and I’m still beginning to get used to the grasp of things. I’m leaning on the authority gram built up over the years a lot, and at home things are… more complex to say the least. But the deer who do follow us out here are true and steadfast, and this point is doubtless.”

“And so do the Firstlings, of course.”

Spike turned towards the thane. His Equestrian was still weirdly accented, pulling up at the end of each sentence, but it was already quite fluent for a recent learner.

“We had been many things in history. Explorers, raiders, traders, warriors. Our forefathers had bloomed within the world Nidhogg made for us, making a history that we all looked back fondly towards. But now it comes to the moment that we step out of that cradle. Our small world had come to an end, and eras went by. We now walk in a much bigger world. You, Spike, with the mandate of Nidhogg, led us to this point. Without doubt, this is the critical moment when we chart our future. And I believe that with you at the helm, we have the best chance to stake a claim in it and make the fame of brave Firstlings fly across the world again.”

Stellan raised a brow and looked at Magnar. He looked a bit surprised. He then turned to Spike, who sported a slightly bemused expression. The Lucentian prince chuckled. “Alas, I didn’t know my thane brother have a flair for poetry.”

“Stellan, you know them’s fightin’ words.”

“… What? Who’s fighting what words?”

“Huh?”

Magnar turned to those in audience who spoke Equestrian natively, who have be snorting in relaxing mirth. “What? Isn’t that how you say ‘what he said made me want to punch him in the snout’ in Equestrian?”

It was Pinkie who replied cheerfully after suppressing her laughter enough to form coherent words. “Hehehe… Ah! I mean, yes! B- But it’s like… it’s just so strange coming from a northern pony’s mouth! A great thane no less!”

Spike added diplomatically. “Um, my good thane, I’m sorry I haven’t made it clear back then… this phrase is usually said with a southern drawl. I mean, deep south, said by small village farmers when someone insult the look of their thatched hut.”

Magnar widened his eyes, and Stellan laughed. “Ah, I see now. It must sound comical to their ears. It’s like our mighty thane suddenly becomes a raggare… or a råner, if you will.”

Magnar’s face turned red, and he barked. “Dra til Tartarus, you slyngel!”

“Now, now, no need for that kind of language.”

Magnar pulled the corners of his mouth down, but eventually he just huffed and shook his head. “It’s your turn to loosen his doubt, cheeky ‘prince’.”

“Oh, right. Let me then.”

Stellan cleared his throat. “What Magnar said stands true for us as well. What stands out as extra to us, is the fact that we Lucentians are distant sons of the ancient crystal ponies. While the passing of the centuries might have diluted our blood, blurred our records, and even shed our crystal magic… We, sons of Alba and Aida, still like to see to the welfare of our once brothers, even if they do wrongly stray into the path of destruction. The cold of the north have not made us forget the power of love, that once tied a nation together in the harsh Crystal Mountains. While we’re now Firstling first, our Crystalline heritage we will always treasure and protect.”

Not only Spike, Cadance and Shining Armor were also moved by Stellan’s unequivocal support. The dragon softly said. “Thank you, Magnar, Stellan.”

“My lord, my good Spike.”

Frigg was the one who followed, her gaze low yet sweeping. “I know that you’re still unused to the idea of our reverence. I know you have doubt, thinking whether you deserve such devotion. I have reflected on it myself as well.”

“Frigg, I accept that I might…”

Spike mulled and pondered for long, before carefully settled down on a suitable word. “… effect my part to bring peace and even a better future for many. But surely, I need not rise to an altar to do this?”

Frigg softly sighed. “… I know, for you have repeatedly told me. I understand that you have strong reservations to being worshipped. I promise that I, as the Vala of the Adorers, will… review the situation after all dust has settled. Yet, I pray that you understand, for thousands of years, Nighthewer had represented a higher force in all our hearts, and you, the bearer of his mandate, are now the very face of our faith and motivation.”

She extended her hooves and said. “To the great dragon, we prayed our summers be wet and our winters clear. Nidhogg, through his sacrifice, imprinted on the nature all his divine ideas. He blessed us and kept us. He lifted up his countenance before us, and gave us peace. This love we devoted to him is divine, and it was what that kept us going even when everything started to falter and fall apart in our final years inside his protection.”

She smiled mysteriously at Cadance. “Alas, I might not be as expertly to the matter of love as the Crystal Princess, but we do have a saying in our sacred codex - two cities have been formed by two loves. The earthly, by the love of our kind; and the heavenly, by the love of divine. Our divine love to Nighthewer and you, I believe, is a source of magic, power and fortune. It shields and it gives strength. And such are direly needed at this junction of time, when we’re battling for the fate of nations.”

Spike breathed heavily, and he nodded. Frigg could not be less unclear in her words. She basically laid it open that it was the act of believing itself that empowered the believers, not necessarily the one who was being worshipped. And so, he should remain as he was, so as not to disturb their faith in this critical moment of war. He even felt a hint of shame and regret for forcing her to say something so invalidating of her own faith.

With reluctance, his gaze turned to Puuska. The white wolf prince looked somewhat better than when he just reddened his own paws with his brother’s blood, but a clout of sadness seemed to have become a permanent feature in his blue eyes.

“Spike… So long as you keep to that promise, I will ensure that the loyalty of Susia would not waver. Everything, including every petty court intrigue we white wolves engaged, is nothing compared to what we’ve talked about.”

“Of course.”

The others looked at the duo curiously, wondering what kind of promise he had made to the white wolf. However, their thoughts were interrupted by a series of hurried trots outside the ward they were in.

A few uniformed unicorn guards rushed in and stood next to the door, and a only-too-familiar red unicorn stepped inside the room.

Everyone except Spike tensed up, yet Lion Muzzle made a gesture to dismiss the guards. They did not look at ease with the order, but they complied and shut the door behind them.

“Commander Spike, I come to you with utmost regret for what happened out there.”

The self-styled director unbuttoned the first button on his uniform, in a gesture to seemingly appear more personal. His gaze swept through the assembled. Most of them were looking at him with guardedness at best, and animosity at worst.

He shook his head slowly and turned to not Spike, but Pisacan first.

“Madame de Vinidi, I cannot express in words of my shock and horror what almost happened. I will try to arrange for suitable compensation for the distress you and others might have endured.”

Seeing the director being surprisingly apologetic, the tension in the room lowered a bit. Pisacan let out a sigh and said. “… I myself don’t need compensation of any sort. I just want my folk’s safety, as I have reiterated to you many times before.”

Lion Muzzle then smiled. “Then you might be happy when you hear this, Mademoiselle. I shall champion a proposal that would see the majority of prisoners of war transferred to Commander Spike’s army… on the fulfillment of certain conditions, naturally.”

“I beg your pardon?” Spike looked stunned, so did most others in audience.

“We shall discuss the details once Commander Spike recovers enough. But I do personally think that it is for the best, if the very fuel of unrest would become far-removed from the city. This serves the interests of us both, I believe.”

“Ah…” A few listeners grasped the reason why Lion Muzzle seemed to change his mind now on the treatment of prisoners.

“Since Commander Spike seemed to need more rest, I shall excuse myself for the moment, for the Prench Republic needs my constant service.”

“Please wait, director.”

Surprisingly, it was neither Spike nor Pisacan who called out and stopped Lion Muzzle. It was Cadance, who looked at the director with steady gaze.

Lion Muzzle said with a neutral tone. “Princess Cadance, to what do I owe the pleasure of your query?”

He then thinly smiled. “I trust that you do not intend to castigate me for interrupting thousands of years of princely and princessly rule?”

Cadance briefly narrowed an eye, but she shook her head. “As terribly inept as Blueblood was, I don’t think that removing one of the cornerstones of the peace of the three races was the answer.”

Regrettably, Princess Cadance, the answer is often not decided by few, but by many.”

She bit her lips, and shook her head. “… I didn’t stop you for a debate on princely rule. I’ve stopped you to ask why you let this happen in the first place.”

Spike locked his brows. Without looking too infringing of Cadance’s own authority, he gently said to her. “Princess…”

Lion Muzzle simply raised his hooves and said. “Let it happen, Princess? This is… rather uncharitable, I must say.”

Rainga could not help but interjected, eager to vent her frustration about the hurt Spike received. “Director Muzzle, let’s not fool around shall we? We all know you have the whole city under your hooves!”

Kanipha added coldly. “This could not have happened without any signal from you yourself, or at least your prior knowledge…”

Lion Muzzle did not look at all shaken by the accusation. He simply leaned up on the wall and said.

“You must know, what is currently happening in the Ville is unprecedented. Even in the most heated moment of the Griffish conquest, even during the worst times of Discord’s rule, even when King Sombra descended upon our very Platinum Pride… this never happened. The ponies here never, ever thought that princes or princesses are something that could be… just taken away, like an unwelcome décor on the wall. This is unthinkable merely a few months ago.”

He smiled with a hint of wistfulness. “And so, this is no mere rebellion. The Villian ponies are not foals, who threw their princely toys out of their prams because the nasty Crystallians disturbed their nap. Rather, the events that transpired had woken us, and what we have here is a revolution.”

Facing Cadance who drew in a sharp breath, the director raised his voice and said each word with a pointed stress.

“A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, by which the commoners overthrows the overlord. By luck, by fate, by work, I have become the forefront of the revolution. But unlike a prince who is, or at least thought he is the state, I am not the revolution. Nopony can be the revolution. It’s by nature an unordered thing, and like a formless abyss, one day it could swallow your foe, the next day it could swallow you.”

Shining Armor narrowed his eyes and lowly bellowed. “What’s your point?”

“Staying in a revolutionary city bears an inherent risk, Prince Shining Armor. I cannot control everything in the city as her director, lest I am not really a director but a dictator, aren’t I?”

Geuse wryly commented. “You sure sound like you’d want more control.”

“I can’t say I reject this characterization, but I have some caveat of my own. Control brings order, and order promotes harmony. The three tribes came as one, and Equestria did enjoy more peace after it finally came together as a union. I wish to promote order, so that the Prench would strengthen and her influence would spread beyond the Ville once more…”

He huffed. “Yet excessive control also promotes inequality and brings resentment. A director, with his executive power, might turn the directory into his personal rubble stamp, and the revolutionary guard his enforcers. And yet he would almost certainly suffer the same fate as the tyrant before him, swallowed by a wave of popular anger. This anger, the one that drove the revolution itself, might easily turn irrational, and to relieve and prevent it from destroying the fruits of revolution itself, a release mechanism must be there.”

Shining Armor had quite enough of his verbosity, especially when it seemed to mask and play down the atrocity of the action. “And this ‘release mechanism’ is to let ponies burn ponies? What the Tartarus?”

“Shining Armor, please calm down a bit.”

Spike finally broke his silence and said. “Director Muzzle is being magnanimous by banking his authority against the popular mood. He didn’t really need to side with us so blatantly and earn the hate of some radical elements, but he did and made a stance.”

Lion Muzzle’s smile grew wide, and he nodded appreciatively at the dragon. “Thank you, Commander Spike. You might not always have the size of a dragon lord, but you surely possess the wisdom of one.”

“You jest, Director.”

“Well, I’ve indeed taken a liking to you, Commander Spike. And so I shall warn you… Someone in this city want you… gone from this world, and it might be beyond my power to fully prevent them from taking action. It’s probably a good idea to quickly depart after you’re healed.”

“What?!” A chorus of shocked gasps and yelped filled the room. Spike himself was also looking at the director with disbelief.

“I know this reflects poorly on the Villians, given how your action saved the city. But these radical elements are justi… well, let’s not use that word. They are convinced of their own ways, which in their minds benefit the Ville most.”

Cadance looked shocked and a bit angry. “Pray tell, how can Spike, a dragon that practically saved the city from being blasted open with the dread cannon, be a threat to the city?!”

“Well, the northern alliance is a mysterious force to most. We don’t even know there are such a plethora of races and nations up in the so-called ‘arctic waste’. Alas, not even I have a full idea of your goals and even composition. Some do worry if you would eventually turn on the Ville, given the sympathetic attitude you’ve shown or hinted towards certain… opponents of the Republic. Most importantly, after seeing how Commander Spike single-handedly relieved the siege, and how you healed so quickly after being hit by those dragon-slaying ballistae, they’ve become unreasonably terrified of you.”

He vaguely hinted. “Surely you all might have noticed some oddities in the unfolding of the unfortunate events… I am afraid there might be a conspiracy abound. The true purpose was not only… or even, never the prisoners, but to arrange Commander Spike in a particular state and situation so he could be… harmed. There certainly are enough unicorn experts on dragons to craft such a plan. In fact, that’s the very reason that propels me to the square in the first place.”

Coldness shivered up Spike’s spine, and his companions also looked to each other in worry. It sounded preposterous that the whole thing arose just because someone wanted to eliminate the purple dragon, but since the words came directly from Lion Muzzle, they could not easily dismiss it.

“You should not feel unsafe now, though. I have assigned my most loyal guards around the hospital, and they shall protect you until we conclude our meeting and your subsequent departure. You might also consider upping the protection on your part, though.”

Spike gulped. “U- Understood. Director Muzzle, you… your honesty and kindness is very much appreciated.”

The director already pushed the door to the corridor half-open. Without turning back, he said. “So long, and may our camaraderie survive this war.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Bonjour et Bienvenue, commanders and worthy associates of the northern alliance.”

Une très bonne journée à toi aussi, Director Muzzle. Your kindness and assistance throughout our somewhat… eventful stay is very welcomed.”

The red unicorn smirked. “Noted. So, let us not waste any more time. The plan is to remove all Crystallian prisoners as well as Villian nobles, Blueblood included, from the city. Their lives would be spared, yet we’re reluctant to keep feeding them using our precious food store, nor am I happy to see unnecessary blood spilled. Most importantly, they must not fall in Sunset Shimmer’s hooves again. Would you be willing and be able to take them on?”

Spike mulled. “Well, of course we can, we’re used to moving a large amount of captives. The problem remains in other areas…”

He turned to Cadance and Shining Armor. “Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, what do you think?”

Shining Armor rubbed his snout. “Of course we’re taking all the crystal ponies.”

“You think you can reform them, right?”

Cadance bit her lips. “We’ll try our best. Our enemy, after all, is only Sunset Shimmer, not the entire Crystal Empire.”

Shining Armor huffed. “Sunset Shimmer’s actions had poisoned the well. The name of Crystal Empire is now equal to wanton aggression and warmongering. We need to create something with the native crystal ponies in order to oppose her and oppose this notorious fame.”

Pisacan interjected, concern apparent in her voice. “Spike, the Vinidis in their dark cells must be rescued out. Asclepias…”

“Of course, of course…” Spike comforted the yellow mare, who had been somewhat neurotic after the brutish kidnapping.

He sighed and asked. “How about the nobles?”

Cadance showed a rare smile. “I might not be as old as Princess Celestia or Luna, but some mere local nobles… I’m used to deal with these types, I assure you, they will keep their mouths shut and not act up, especially now that they’re stripped of their lands, armies and power, and they basically owe us their lives.”

“Uhmm, but… Blueblood?”

Both Cadance and Shining Armor frowned with apparent annoyance. After a protracted silence, Spike sighed and asked. “Son Excellence, what… would happen to Blueblood if, um, he’s just left here?”

Lion Muzzle eyed Spike with some surprise. “I thought you lots would care for his life. After all, he’s a bona-fide royal prince, his charisma and rallying power notwithstanding…”

The listeners’ amusement at Lion Muzzle’s sarcastic remark ended when he made it clear. “He’s a symbol of reaction, and he stands for everything that is against the revolution. The only reason he got to live as long as he is now, is my concern that his passing would electrify the royalist opposition, effectively making him a martyr. It would be best and indeed most merciful, if he could be moved to somewhere far away, without power to affect Prench affairs. But sooner or later, public sentiment is going to heat to a point... and then I would have no choice.”

Shining Armor grinded his teeth.

Cadance shook her head. “We can’t leave him here. As obnoxious he was as a pony, a life is a life, and not to mention he’s not just your usual noble, he’s a royal prince, blood of Platinum. If we want to return Equestria to some semblance of normalcy after all these, he’s got to live.”

Spike deadpanned. “Bloody shame, really.”

Cadance gasped lightly. “Spike, you can’t possibly really…”

She then caught the smirk on the dragon’s face, as well as the mirthful laughter around the table, and realized that he was merely joking.

Lion Muzzle grinned. “It seems that we’re united in our common distaste for him.”

Spike shrugged. “But we’re gonna take him, and bear with him. Now, Director Muzzle, do name your conditions.”

“Very well. The first one is already said, really. On official term, the prisoners are to be ostracized. That means they are not allowed to enter Ville de Platine ever again, nor should they enter territories under Prench control. Violation would be dealt with extreme prejudice.”

Spike gulped, but nodded. “Agreed. What’s next?”

“This is much more important in my eyes. The Prench Republic is of course a new phenomenon. However, we want to be recognized as the legal and by-and-large successor to the Princely City-State of Ville de Platine. While we shall carefully consider our status within the Kingdom of Equestria after all dust has settled, we want our sovereignty and autonomy recognized and guaranteed.”

Cadance and Shining Armor narrowed their eyes, as Lion Muzzled continued. “That of course means an official written pledge, from each of the head of state and government here, that once peace returns to this land, the Prench Republic will not be under any undue pressure to change her leader, or system of governance, particularly from any new, or continuation of central authority in Equestria. The undersigned will oppose any attempt to enforce or impose any non-Villian or unelected ruler or governor, military or civilian, on the whole or any sub-component of Prench state.”

Sleekly, he slid several copies of documents across the table. They were written in Prench, Crystallian, Equestrian and even Classical Roaman. “Apologies for not being able to reproduce the pledge in the language of every nation in the northern alliance. But rest assured that the pledge from every one of you is equally treasured. We in the Prench Republic welcome all freedom-loving friends in Equestria and beyond.”

The said leaders all looked to Spike for verification. Spike duly recited the pledge to them in Equestrian and again in their native tongues. He then concluded. “Naturally, this is something that you all should decide on your own for your own nation, as this is a state but not military matter.”

Rainga looked to Spike, and then touched her hoof to her lips. Quickly, she lifted a delicately crafted wooden seal and a small jar of shiny red liquid from her saddlebag. Without hesitation, she inked the seal and impressed it on the document. The seal displayed a shield with three pairs of deer antlers, supported by a majestic dragon on the side.

“Done. The State of Deermark agrees to this pledge.” She curtly said.

Seemingly gladdened with the quickness she displayed, Lion Muzzle nodded with satisfaction.

After Rainga, Magnar and Stellan both took out their respective seal. The Firstling seal was simple, just a muscular stallion standing on his back legs and holding a battle-axe in his hoof. The Lucentian one was more complex, consisting of a pony in robes sitting on a throne, while holding a heart-shaped orb on his left hoof. On top of his head were three snow-flakes.

Magnar was first to speak. “I’m not one to haggle. The matter of the southerners should not trouble us anyway, so long as you lots don’t mess with us, or return our goodwill with acts of despicable betrayal.”

He huffed again, and used the subtlest way that he knew of to express his displeasure. Lion Muzzle naturally nodded and said. “Again, I regret any indignity suffered at that night. Please understand-”

“Cut it out. The sword speaks louder than the pen… Or how does it go again?”

Stellan suppressed his urge to laugh at the thane’s propensity for malapropism, and he said. “As the Prince of Lucentians, I have no intention to meddle in the matter of the south as well. Even if comes a day my people shall despise me and my rule, I will not linger around like an unwelcome guest.”

Lion Muzzle thinly grinned. “If only the other entitled nobles in Equestria would heed this advice.”

Puuska, the white wolf prince, sighed but nodded his head in resignation. What he took out, though, was not a seal of majesty. To Spike’s surprise, it was the silvery wolf whistle that he always carried with him.

“Director Muzzle, Susia is still reeling from losing her matriarch and her eldest in quick succession. As the only remaining member of the paramount white, and once co-ruler of the nation, I’m by fact the sole patriarch of Susia. However, I’m yet to be affirmed by my people. As such, I cannot use the grand seal for this occasion. And yet in my informal capacity as the white wolves’ leader, I can agree to this pledge. If you think this is sufficient, I would give my consent using this whistle as my personal seal.”

Lion Muzzle stroked his jaw, and slowly nodded. “I’m sorry for your loss, Patriarch Puuska. I’m not one to stick to formality at times of necessity, and I would take your word for the genuineness of Susian goodwill.”

Puuska wordlessly nodded, and impressed the side of his whistle on the document. His seal was a white wolf rearing up, holding a crossbow in his front paws, while stepping on a curved sword on his back legs. Behind him was a field of wolfberry flowers.

The gazes fell onto the muskox priestess. She winced and said. “I’m not the chief of the muskoxen tribe. I’m merely his daughter, the Qam Qatun… A priestess if you will. I have no power to represent the entire tribe, I’m afraid.”

Lion Muzzle looked genuinely disappointed. “I see.”

Shaking her head, she smiled thinly. “We are a simple people. We know only peace and maybe tribute, such intricate treaty-making is simply not in our nature. And given how few the muskoxen are, I suppose even we do offer our pledge, it means little to the mighty Prench.”

Lion Muzzle shook his head in return. “Of course not. Of course a paper inked with black and white would calm our populace much more, but any goodwill, from nations large or small, many or few, is appreciated.”

Yolana smiled. “Then you’ll have our assured goodwill.”

Lion Muzzle nodded. “We’ll gladly take it. However, we do want to extend our hooves to the muskoxen formally, after this war of aggression comes to an end.”

He then looked to Cadance and Shining Armor with a meaningful expression. He drew out his first syllable and said. “Princess Cadance, Prince Shining Armor, I await your response.”

The Princess of Love looked grim. She slowly said. “Director Muzzle. First… I thank you for giving us refuge and the basic amount of respect even given your… ideology.”

She sighed and said. “But my status is now rather ambiguous. First, Shining and I were falsely declared to be the victims of yak aggression. While now we’re back, Sunset Shimmer could easily dismiss us as some sort of frauds.”

Lion Muzzle again massaged his angled jaw. “That’s true. However, you’re still a crystal princess, you can easily show that you’re the real Cadance by demonstrating your love spells, can’t you?”

“… True, but there is another issue. Many of these crystal ponies are still quite enthralled with Sunset Shimmer’s teachings… If they were only afflicted with mind control, then it’s straightforward – we only need to apply anti-magic charm on them, or even simply wash over them with a burst of love magic. It might take time to re-convince them of the legitimacy of my rule, even if I do set up a government-in-exile elsewhere. In other words, my words might mean little to you and them in the short term.”

Lion Muzzle nodded with a curt smile. “While I detest the ‘Guida’ for infringing upon our sovereignty, I can’t deny that her rhetoric is incredibly attractive. A national renaissance for crystal ponies, let Roam be reborn in Equestria… Certainly a few notches above enslaving and antagonizing everyone in sight. I’m afraid her ideas would have some staying power as well…”

Cadance gasped in shock, but Lion Muzzle kept his smile and quickly changed the topic. “You speak of setting up a government against the Sunset Shimmer regime. That can be beneficial to the Prench Republic. We can offer certain assistance, but that still hinges on your words that the internal matters of the Prench Republic remains ours.”

The alicorn bit her lips. “You must understand, Director, this is no foal matter. With Princess Celestia and Luna now missing in action, I’m the sole alicorn princess in the land. You… ‘republicans’ might disagree, but plenty of ponies out there, not just in the Crystal Empire, but also in Equestria, would look to me for authority. Whatever I agree here will be taken by the Equestrians at large… as words not merely said by a Crystal Princess, but an Equestrian Princess as well.”

Lion Muzzle did not bulge. “Regardless, your words are critical. Our ponies would not be pleased that I’m letting the Crystallians go in the first place, but if I do not obtain any form of official assurance from the very Crystal Princess herself, let’s say you will definitely not see me in this chair the next day.”

Shining Armor, however, clearly looked much more impatient. “You’re looting our house while it’s on fire. You’re just using the lives of those crystal ponies as bargaining chips to make sure you stay in power, huh?”

Lion Muzzle paused, and slowly leaned back to his oaken chair. Reaching down to a hidden drawer, he pulled out a curious-looking smoking pipe, which was much longer and thinner than Equestrian ones. Pouring some well-shredded tobacco leaves into it, he lit it with his horn and leisurely smoked.

Seeming to vent his passive-aggression on Shining Armor, Lion Muzzle deliberately drew the wait out and observed the former royal guard, who was getting more and more annoyed. He blew out a cloud of smoke directly in his face, causing the white unicorn to cough, then grit his teeth with ire.

But before Shining Armor actually blew up in anger, Lion Muzzle put down his pipe and said.

“I have a responsibility to the newborn state, and I’m obliged to increase the chance of it surviving and thriving, during both times of war and times of peace… As for me, I would freely admit that I would very much like to stay for as long as my people permit me. The Prench state is a project that I would like to see to the completion thereof. I regret that if you think this is me wanting to cling to power, but that’s how it is.”

Shining Armor gritted his teeth and wanted to say something more, but Cadance looked resigned and stopped him. “Shiny… don’t.”

She turned to Lion Muzzle and said. “Very well, I will agree to your demand, but it must be explicitly stated that I only signed it in my personal capacity of the Crystal Princess, not Equestria, or hereto unorganized government-in-exile of Crystal Empire.”

The director tilted his head, but then slickly nodded. “Well, that can’t be helped, I suppose I would take it, lest I will begin to be compared to greedy griffons.”

He witnessed Cadance magicked a quill pen and signed on the pledge. The director then smiled with satisfaction.

“Speaking of the griffons, I have one last request.”

“Do tell.” Spike felt some unease hearing the director’s jarringly upbeat tone on such severe matter.

“We want free hooves in the East, that is, the occupied Griffish Isles and any griffon lands east of them. Specifically, we want reassurance that any military action the Prench state conducts there will not be interfered unless explicitly required.”

“What?”

Spike raised his brows. That sounds quite like an odd request given their status as a city-state under siege. “Uh… Why?”

“The details, I’m afraid, must be kept confidential. In any case, I explicitly required that because the charter of Kingdom of Equestria did forbid us from individually taking military action outside the boundary of the Kingdom, and I don’t want any of our action to be construed as illegal and damaging our prospects of being accepted. However I assure you, none of your interest would not be diminished. Griffons are now enemies of a free Equestria, surely you all would be happy if they’re beaten back, right?”

Spike frowned. “That… isn’t wrong. But the way you phrase it sounds rather concerning.”

Lion Muzzle waved his hoof. “Well, rest assured that the conduct of the Prench army will be up to the same excellent standard you observed in this city.”

“Excellent standard…”

Someone muttered wryly under his or her breath. Lion Muzzle caught wind of it and threw up his hooves. “Now, now, I thought I made it clear that L’Armée is separate from the sans-culottes and the Villian public in general. I can’t possibly control everypony in this city, and I certainly can’t punish them for being patriotic or showing revolutionary fervor. I promise you though, if you do agree to the three principles I outlined, you will be well-stocked on your way away. Think of it as our thanks for defending our city.”

After some exchange of glances, Spike tentatively nodded. “So if we agree to your conditions…”

“The Prench Republic will not aggress against any member of the northern alliance, with the option of mutual military assistance and supply arrangement in the future. We will offer a fortnight’s worth of supply upfront on your way to the East.”

Spike tried to appear calm, but he could not help but be floored about not only the generosity, but the capacity of the Ville to simply give away so much supplies in the time of this sunless war.

Lion Muzzle added. “The eastern cities, as far as I know, should be… receptive to friends of the Ville. I will pen some letters for you to bring to the leaders there, whoever they may be currently. You can think of the supplies also as my price for your courier service.”

Spike asked with a light frown. “Director, do you know something about the eastern cities that we don’t know?”

Lion Muzzle nodded. “The war might have disrupted many of our usual communication channels, but we Prench in the Ville are always a resourceful bunch. The tragic fall of the Ancient and Noble City of Cloudsdale reinforced our belief that we must reach out at all cost. And so, we used a mix of mundane and magical means to keep track of the situations in the east.”

His face darkened somewhat at the mention of Cloudsdale. “Now commander, let me be frank that I can’t tell you everything unless we’ve known each other better, and fought together some more. The eastern cities are a complicated place, and due to our… existing relations with them, I cannot tell you other than the fact that big changes are happening there. Ponies there are getting angry at the puppet Equestrian government led by Sunset Shimmer, and our uprising is a perfect inspiration for many of them.”

Spike dully noted. “Right.”

Lion Muzzle emitted a nasal noise. “Speaking of Cloudsdale though… I can tell you something, if only as a heads-up.”

“Shoot.” Spike shrugged.

Lion Muzzle seemed amused at the dragon’s more casual speech, but he simply continued. “The Cloudsdale pegasi, before they were subjected to the horrible nation-breaking tragedy, did refuse our covert offer to share intelligence and rekindle the Auld Alliance.”

“So you guys are able to send in scouts or agents deep inside hostile territories.”

“It’s pretty basic, mon dragon. No army or nation can go anywhere without good source of intelligence. And of course the revolution had it up a few notch for it to succeed in the first place.”

Cadance raised a brow. “And what is it about the ‘Auld Alliance’? I’m not familiar with that term.”

“Oh, I don’t blame you. That’s a bit of ancient history, and if it were not for the industrious review of ancient treaties by our legal academics, I would not have known it as well. These ancient things seem to pop up quite frequently in recent times, don’t they? Be it the emergence of ponies from deep south and far north, the return of Crystallians, and indeed the very idea of a pony’s republic itself…”

Lion Muzzle shook his head and chuckled. “But I digress. The Auld Alliance has been an old and persistent alliance between Unicornia and Pegasopolis towards the end of the Late Classical Era. It was a defensive pact against griffons, earth ponies and crystal ponies. Quite a number of pegasi migrated to this old capital of Unicornia back then. And in fact, it was the very reason Ville de Platine is what it is now, magical unicorns supplemented with industrious pegasi, but coming together as one proud and noble Prench culture.”

Elevating a pointer to the big map of Equestria on the wall behind him, he poked the place where Cloudsdale used to be. “Even though the Union of Equestria had superseded most of the older treaties, we discovered some complex legal fiction that supports the conclusion that the Auld Alliance was never actually revoked. We knew well that Cloudsdale still retained the proudness and independence of their Pegasopolis ancestors, and they were likely to prefer sitting high up on their clouds unless directly mobilized by Celestia herself. The whole project to revive the Auld Alliance was a way for us to offer them a staircase down to earth, so to speak, and join force with us.”

“Okay… So you want to link up with them. But frankly, I don’t see them agreeing really, if only for the fact that they might not recognize you guys as the legitimate government in Ville de Platine.”

Lion Muzzle narrowed his eyes, but he then just sighed. “Yes, at face we were rejected because of our… change of regime here, but I must say I think their prideful attitude was more at fault. If they had mind to cooperate with us, they might be able to sabotage Sunset Shimmer’s mega-spell, for example, by intercepting their convoys of magic gems…”

He waved his hoof. “Anyway, we have strayed a bit far. Later on, all imprisoned Crystallians and Villian nobles are to be marched away from the city by your army, and you have the ultimate responsibility of watching over the high-value captives, especially Blueblood. If he went away under your watch, then the Prench Republic will sever all agreement we have made.”

“As if we will ever let him go.” Shining Armor rolled his eyes.

Cadance added. “It’s really a shame that he’s now the de facto head of the Equestrian aristocracy. We certainly will not let him run around more and cause more damage to its name.”

Spike japed. “I say he’s a living ad for republicanism. I guess this is why you’re keeping him alive?”

Lion Muzzle bellowed a laugh. “Ha! Maybe… maybe…”

He swept through everyone’s face, and then slipped an agreement across the table right in front of the dragon. He asked. “So what say you?”

Spike said. “A moment please.”

The dragon looked around. The assorted commanders either looked indifferent or deferring. They did not seem to be particularly interested in the politics of the Ville, and would not mind if Spike called the shot.

His gaze passed through Pinkie, who was until then completely and uncharacteristically silent. Spike knew that she was probably unjustly blaming herself again, since the kidnapping happened right after everyone winding down at the festa. He felt pained to see her in such a terrible state, but he could say little for now.

Still, it was Cadance and Shining Armor who looked the most hesitant. Spike looked to the Crystal Princess, and whispered into her ears. “… Princess Cadance, you don’t have to be pressured into accepting this. We will find a way. A lot of our soldiers are good at foraging.”

Cadance shook her head imperceptibly. She tilted her head and whispered back. “… Even so, I cannot possibly leave all these crystal ponies here in this city. They are our citizens. Even if they’re temporarily misled by Sunset Shimmer’s dazzling words, they must not be left here, or else we risk another terrible incidence.”

Shining Armor did not join in the conversation, but he clearly echoed the sentiment of his wife.

Spike deeply breathed in, grabbed a quill and sighed his own name on it on behalf of everyone.

Lion Muzzle clapped his hooves. “Wonderful. May our friendship last as long as the stars.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Towing in chains, the captured Crystallians and disgraced nobles of the city were marched by the Villian soldiers towards the Liberation Park, where the entire army of the northern alliance was now gathered, preparing to march out of the city shortly.

Eggs and vegetable were again thrown in copious amount. Spike, who was accompanying Octavie-Fontaine, the pegasus lieutenant who was leading the procession, wondered how come the Ville have so much food to spare that they could throw them at will.

Separated by ranks of well-equipped Villian soldiers, he could not quite reach the many captives he would like to have a word with. Though he was certain he would have plenty of time once he was back to the Park.

He shook his head and turned with a wry look. “Lieutenant, we meet so often. I sometimes wonder if the Ville have another officer.”

The pegasus, surprisingly, was not riled up. “I was assigned by the Director himself to handle matters related to you and your army, and that’s probably why.”

“Is that so?”

The pegasus silently nodded. For some reason, she lost a lot of edge since he last saw her in the square. He briefly wondered what her deal was, before they finally were greeted by soldiers from the northern alliance.

Octavie-Fontaine saluted the dragon, and said. “Commander Spike, per the executive decree of the directory and by the popular will invested in our director, we hereby transferred all captives and prisoners of war to the northern alliance. The responsibility now rests in your, ahem, hands.”

“Thank you, lieutenant.”

Octavie-Fontaine nodded. “We will put guards around the park to ensure that your exit from the city will be smooth.”

Under her watch, the prisoners were hushed inside the park like a herd of sheep. Spike walked over to join the others, as the most high-value prisoners, Asclepias and Blueblood, were brought in front of the commanders.

There was also great difference in their looks. Blueblood looked well-fed, and spirited enough to loudly moan his complaints. Asclepias, though, was barely able to move or keep his eyes open, his breaths labored and shallow. Unhealed lash wounds were seen on his neck, seemingly from the time the rioters stormed the prison tower and dragged him out.

Spike turned and peeked at Pisacan. Her expression was stone-cold. The dragon tilted his head and whispered to her. “Asclepias is here.”

“I know that.”

“He… looks pretty bad.”

The yellow crystal pony closed her eyes and nodded minutely, but giving no other response. Spike sighed and turned to the other captive, who was making a scene in front of them.

Cadance and Shining Armor went to the hollering white unicorn prince. When Blueblood saw them, his eyes went as wide as two plates.

“W- Wait, h- how in Equestria-”

Cadance raised a brow. “Are our survival that much of a shock to you?”

“They said you two are dead!”

Cadance deadpanned. “They’re wrong then.”

Shining Armor narrowed his eyes. “Sunset Shimmer is a scheming power-grabber, a warmonger and above all, an evil magic user. She casted a mind-control spell on us both, not to mention she manipulated the whole Crystal Empire into this ruinous war. And yet you, the last royal prince that was in Equestria, somehow got this brilliant idea of becoming a collaborator, willingly.”

Blueblood spluttered. “S- Shut up, you’re just an uncouth commoner if not for your marriage to Cadance. How would you even comprehend the enormous heritage and grace that I, Blueblood, proud scion of Unicornia, prince of the blood, carry with me?”

Shining Armor was again fuming, however, he was gently shoved at his legs. Then he saw the small dragon passed by and gave him a knowing look.

“Prince Blueblood, this might come as something rather inconvenient, but you’re now no longer the ruler of this city, rather, you are our… hmm, guest, just that you cannot leave our side unless we say so.”

“Who the heck are you, and why do I have to listen to a suckling drake? I’m still a royal prince, and all of the Lower Canterlot is my fief! You’re just a feral boor of a dragon!”

Spike did not look particularly pleased, but he shook his head. “I’m not a ‘feral’ dragon, Prince Blueblood. My name is Spike, and I lived with the ponies my whole life. This arrangement is for your own good and safety as well. This alliance of various races are set on returning Equestria to peace and normalcy. As the-”

Even though Spike tried to talk some sense into Blueblood, he had clearly tuned out Spike’s reasoned plea. He frantically yelled at his small group of erstwhile followers, who had been unbounded before him, once the Villians were out of sight. “Hey! Would some of you – any of you useless gits – get me out of the ropes already?!”

Spike darkly mumbled. From his modest cape he drew out a silver rapier from its hilt. He then pointed sharply to Blueblood, who now knew how to show fear. Even Cadance and Shining Armor looked concerned. The prince yelled out among shocked gasps. “W- What are you doing?!”

“… How stupid can you be?”

Spike patted the prince’s face with the tip of the rapier. “This is a Platinum Ceremonial Rapier, the blade and the tip are both blunt. It’s gifted to me by Lion Muzzle as a symbol of good will. A prince like you really should know about precious artefacts in your own city.”

“You dare touch a gift, stolen no less, from that traitor to my face?!”

“Get a grip, Your Highness. If not for Lion Muzzle’s carefulness and protection, you’d have been treated with much worse than what essentially was a house arrest. Just look at poor Asclepias, would you?”

“Tsk, he’s just an incompetent failure of a pony. If he’s any good at fighting, we’d not be here in the first place!”

Biting back a more caustic retort, Spike breathed out and slowly said. “Prince Blueblood, you weren’t even discovered and dragged out in those popular riots. Knowing how wimpy you are, you would probably beg for a quick release when the belts hit your pretty face.”

“H- How dare you?!”

Shining Armor looked covertly pleased at Spike’s smack-down of the foolishly prideful prince, but he gently coughed. “Spike, Blueblood is still a royal prince.”

“I know. I’ll try to be diplomatic.”

Spike turned and glared at the prince, then punctuated each of his word with a tap to his face. “Ville de Platine now wants nothing to do with royalties, and the whole Lower Canterlot is either a nopony’s land or a field of rubbles. You are not the ruler of anywhere or anyone… Don’t you realize how close you are to being a red splatter on the ground? A headless pony on a guillotine? A mangled skeleton in the darkest cell in Ville de Platine?”

Blueblood let out a strange yelp, as Spike continued. “Look at yourself, Prince Blueblood. I believe that you barely got harmed or interrogated in custody. But I warn you, no one’s luck is unlimited, and it is even more limited for you if you don’t behave.”

Blueblood’s face turned a shade of purple, as he proclaimed indignantly. “I- I’m going to tell-”

“Tell who? Princess Celestia?”

Spike’s face turned darker. “We don’t even know where she is at the moment. And despite your thick-headedness, you should know well that if she’s still here, she would allow none of these to happen. The biggest… and very nearly the only reason that we get you out from their prison is our charity, and Lion Muzzle’s.”

“What?! That traitor-”

“That ‘traitor’ has the support of the people, unlike you. And I’m afraid he’s also a much more competent administrator and ruler in this trying time for the Ville. He’s also immensely forgiving. I doubt that you would treat him as nicely if the situation is reversed.”

“I- I will tear his guts out and feed-”

“Cut it out with your revenge fantasy, prince. What happened here had already shaken the foundation of the Kingdom of Equestria to the core, and it’s quite largely thanks to you. And however everything turns out…”

Spike let out a sigh. “… It will never be the same. So, if you want to preserve a sliver of claim to power after the war is over, you should tug in, lower your head and follow us. If you stay here, Lion Muzzle will not be able to shield you from the angry mob much longer.”

Blueblood gritted his teeth, and then asked. “Where the Tartarus are you going? Where in the world is safe anymore?”

Spike smiled. “Ah, finally some sensible questions. We’re going east to Manehattan and other east coast cities.”

“What for?”

“We will find a way to join with forces of our own in Ponyville. Either by sea or over land, we would march to the south. Our friends have extensive influences there. Rainbow Dash has an army of Amarezons under her wings. Rarity is cozy with the diamond dogs, which from what we heard were also battle-capable... And we do have something up our sleeves once we’re back too.”

Blueblood mulled and mumbled. Spike then added with a more conciliatory tone. “If you stay put among us for now, we might be able to arrange for a… favorable final settlement. Maybe you can even reclaim some of your ancestral privilege.”

“Now, who exactly are you to make these grand claims?”

“His words have my backing, my royal cousin.”

Cadance added wryly. “And if you don’t think it’s enough, his words also have the backing of an army capable of beating Sunset Shimmer’s forces.”

“What? A small dragon like him is the commander? I thought you-”

The Princess of Love’s tone was somewhat dry, but she explained. “No, Spike is the one who pulled all of us through the difficulties while we’re in the Arctic wastes. He rightly commands the respect and following of these Nordland peoples. We two, on the other hooves, are merely on his tabs.”

Spike added neutrally. “Don’t say that, Princess Cadance. You should be able to command huge influence and inject confidence among these newly surrendered crystal ponies. Any peace to be had at the end cannot leave out the crystal ponies.”

“We hope we can.”

Looking at the tumultuous look on the prince, Spike felt a dash of worry. Blueblood was not known for his reasonableness or prudence. It would be a big headache if he acted up or flaunted his princely attitude at march.

Suddenly, an idea came up in his head. He briefly hesitated, but he eventually said. “Prince Blueblood. I wonder if you still remember a certain… Applejack.”

The dragon’s words attracted prompt attention from the prince. At a distance, Pinkie also stopped moping and looked at Spike with some degree of surprise.

The angry look on the prince immediately softened, replaced by a desirous expression. “Well, of course. Hmm, such a specimen of a mare. Shame that she did not reply to my wonderful suggestion of joining me in my household as my maîtresse-en-titre.”

Spike suppressed his urge to roll his eyes. He suspected it had been the doing of his lapdog followers, but after some condescending pestering through letters, the Sweet Apple Acres were once sabotaged by some unknown agents, almost setting the orchard on fire if not for their bumbling incompetence. The girls tracked down to none other than Blueblood’s relations, but decided to let him off because they were busy preparing for the imminent changeling invasion.

Presumably, those unscrupulous ponies wanted to force Applejack out of a home and a job, and therefore allowing Blueblood to ‘swoop’ Applejack up. Of course, the orange earth pony was no pushover, and given her resourcefulness, the plan had no chance to succeed in the first place.

It did leave a bad taste in his mouth, to now suggest an association between them two for convenience. However, Spike internally sighed, this might be the only non-violent way to entice Blueblood into staying put.

“Well, she’s also the landlady who owns the most land in the south, as well as an Element-bearer who lives in Ponyville. Given how you two, ahem… have a pleasant time the last time, she might be able to offer help and… uh, companionship if you may. So do follow us to Ponyville, Prince Blueblood. We’ll arrange something for you, and we’ll try to ensure your comfort on our way there.”

“Aha… Interesting, interesting. Hmm, now that you’ve mentioned it, the prospects of having her by my side would at least assuage some of the injustice I, prince du sang, suffered here.”

Spike winced, as he began to question his initial judgment. Still he said. “… Look, I understand that you see the Ville as your birthright. But without support, you can do nothing with it. To our understanding, most of the Canterlot aristocracy has been relocated to south of Canterlot anyway. Once you’re escorted there, you might be able to find rapport there. Given your status as the head of the unicorn nobility, your presence would rally their support in this miserable time.”

“Ah, ah. Now we’re talking.”

Blueblood harrumphed. Spike sighed and untied the prince, who gave the dragon a not-so-gentle shove. Deliberately using a voice just audible to the dragon, he said. “… Uncouth cur, should’ve treated me nicely from the beginning…”

Spike turned away and pretended not to hear anything. When he looked back, however, Blueblood did look much more placated. The gold-maned unicorn mumbled. “Hmm, that is not exactly an arrangement befitting a royal prince of Equestria, but I guess this is the best you lots can offer. Can’t help it then, I suppose I will take it for the time being.”

“Good. Birger, bring the prince to the tent for a rest.”

The Lucentian soldier quickly trotted up and saluted. “Roger that!

After Blueblood was led away, the dragon was immediately swamped by several of his friends.

Kanipha said with awe. “Whoa, I mean, Spike. You kind of, sort of just uh…”

Geuse was blunter. “Spike, I thought you were going harsh on his sorry plot! I can’t believe you just practically promise one of your friends to that nasty stallion, selling her off like packed goods!”

Pinkie also looked worried. “Spike, why…”

“Why are ye doubtful, o ye of little faith?”

Surprisingly, it was Frigg who barged in with the archaic expression Spike did not recall teaching her. “Surely our good dragon has a plan in his head, just like every other thing. All is well in the world when he’s well.”

“Meh, I see nothing wrong with it either.”

Pisacan also shrugged and chimed. “The prince might be a pain in the plot, but he’s the top-top noble in Equestria, his words, however asinine, do carry a lot of weight among the nobles. A marriage alliance is not that out there. Heck, if it was to save my clan, I would do it in a blink of an eye. Nopony says you must love thy husband in a marriage.”

“Ahem.”

Cadance coughed. Pisacan threw her hooves up. “Alright, she would say that. But I don’t think that the hypothetical non-existent love towards… ugh, that prince would be more than a glimmer on the Crystal Heart, which is not even our primary concern now anyway.”

“Okay, you all have taken your assumptions and take flight with them. At no point did I ever suggest such thing to him. I’m not Granny Smith, and I have no power over their family affair. Besides, it would be Applejack who decides what to do with him once we’re back, and she would not let Blueblood do whatever he wants.”

Shining Armor raised his brows. “Ah… So you kind of… scammed him into following us?”

Spike deadpanned. “I prefer ‘being economical with the truth’.”

Kanipha barked a laugh, and then shook his head with wry chuckles. “Hahaha, our dragon hero merely suffered a bout of terminological inexactitude, no need to hound him for that, ladies and gentlecolts.”

Cadance still looked sour, she looked to the dragon and lightly chided. “Spike, you should not have brought up matters of love as a bargaining chip. It cheapens the sanctity of romantic love and union.”

Pisacan said sarcastically. “I say, Sua Altezza, whatever love lost by this, you two can solve it by closing your eyes on bed, thinking of the Empire and plopping a foal out. I’m sure the resulting Crystalling would power the barrier, if there’s still a use for it that is, for the next couple of decades.”

The couple furiously blushed at the open discussion of their bedroom activities. Spike rubbed his snout and asked. “Pisa, you seem quite keen on teasing your own princess.”

“It’s their fault for being so fidgety. The daughters of Roamans have always been a spirited and impassioned lots.”

Sensing Spike’s mood about her barbed words, Pisacan pouted and said. “I’m already very tactful by our standard.”

The dragon sighed with defeat. He then took a good look at the mare’s brother at a distance. He knew Asclepias from Pisacan, and he knew that the stallion was her younger brother.

The dragon had not seen him before, but even then he knew that the stallion was languishing in the prison. Some lash scars could be seen on his side and even his cheeks, his eyes were surrounded by dark circles, and his fur was crumpled. He looked much gaunter than even the worst-fed soldier.

“Pisa, won’t you go talk to your brother?”

Pisacan raised her brows. She first said nothing, and then she asked Spike softly. “Commander Spike, may I?”

“Pisa, why the reserved tone?” Spike was a bit bemused given her attitude a moment ago.

Pisacan dropped all informality, replaced by a thoroughly cut-glass voice. “I’m officially a nobody in here. It isn’t appropriate for me to just go out and talk to Clepy, especially given our ties.”

“Pisa-”

“Besides, if… and just if I somehow am to be blessed with the opportunity to again lead the ponies in my clan as we march, I would have to do this anyway. In a large army, there must be a clear hierarchy of power and command. Now it’s all implicit and working out so far due to your personal ties and understanding with every commander, but as we go on and absorb the Crystallians, you will need to show a more rigid adherence to a system of command.”

“I see… Alright then, you may go, Matriarch Pisacan.”

Pisacan smiled. “Aye, commander.”

The yellow mare then slowly walked towards the green stallion. Their white manes both billowed in the humid spring wind. Wordlessly, Pisacan reached out a hoof and felt the scars and bones on her brother’s body. Asclepias’s eyes fluttered open, and gulped upon the sight of his sister, but he could not say anything with emotions so high.

Everyone was moved by the most genuine display of brother-sister love. But then, Pisacan simply smacked Asclepias’ head with a backhoof and yelled into his ears, while making angry gestures with her spare hoof.

“Asclepias, you stupid excuse of a pony nato pal culo! Look at yourself with your good eyes where are you now following that orange witch?!”

Asclepias flinched with a wince despite his larger physique.

Pinkie, who was sulking at the side before, could not help but say. “P- Pisa, don’t be so harsh on him, pretty please?”

Pisacan tutted and crossed her hooves. “Pinkie, this is how I do things in my clan. Do not interfere.”

Pinkie lowered her head and stepped back, returning to her chronic state of sulking. Spike frowned at the sight, but he could only offer a supporting arm to the distraught pink mare.

Pisacan continued to shout angry tirades in a mix of Equestrian and Vinidian. It was so loud that not only the commanders had to cover their ears, but the Vinidis, both already in the camp and newly arrived, looked on with apprehension and shock. Many of the newcomers had already heard of the rumors that Pisacan was still alive, but to watch and hear their matriarch yell with full voice still gave them a taste of the past, and it was terrifying and electrifying.

Pisacan then dragged Asclepias by his tattered cape, and walked in front of Spike. “Commander Spike, I need to talk to him alone.”

“… You may, Matriarch Pisacan.”

Pisacan nodded and rapidly went off and disappeared from the sight of everyone in the park, dragging with her Asclepias, while everyone looked on with shock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once in the secluded tent, Pisacan immediately dropped her angry façade. She hurriedly sat the stallion down. After some literally blind search, she grabbed ahold of a blanket and covered her brother with it.

Asclepias looked on with bemusement. “Pisa-”

“Shhh.”

Pisacan shifted into Vinidian as she asked softly. “Clepy, do you want something to eat? Or drink?”

Asclepias was even more confused. He coughed and said weakly. “Wh- Pisa, j- just tell me where it is. I can still do it myself.”

“You need rest, Clepy.”

“I can’t possibly let a blind pony help me out.”

Pisacan’s eyes narrowed slightly, as she questioned. “Hey, what exactly do you mean by that? I’m perfectly functional despite my sight! Remember, I’ve been following an army across the arctic waste for the past few months, and I eat, walk and trot just fine!”

“T- That…”

Asclepias sighed. “Pisa… Aren’t you mad with me?”

Pisacan’s shoulders slackened, as she shook her head with a small smile. “Sometimes I do wonder if you really are my brother. How come you can’t distinguish an act from genuine anger?”

“… Huh?”

“Sorry to have tra-ma-tized you, Clepy. I was just reasserting authority in front of every Vinidi. As I have been away for so long, and the fact that I have been blinded must have greatly diminished my standing for some of them, I must show that I am still matriarch material, and am able to lead them after all the tumult. Only extreme action can counter the deep-rooted traditional prejudice that a blind mare is a useless mare.”

Pisacan then crossed her hooves. “And yeah, I was still pretty mad at you. That’s doubly so why I chose this method of publicly bashing you to make myself hea-”

The yellow mare suddenly felt two bony appendages wrapping around her torso.

“I thought you were no more, Pisa…!”

“Clepy…” Pisa sadly smiled, gently returning his weak hug.

“You seemed so mad at me when we last met at the gate… I have since been worried that… that it was the last time we ever met.”

Pisacan immediately frowned. “Shush your salt-spilling mouth. I, Pisacan di Vinidi, is as tenacious as my namesake. Not even searing flame or freezing cold can exterminate the stout little grass that is the dandelion.”

Asclepias thinly smiled. “Right.”

Pisacan seemed to have sensed her brother’s subtle jab, and she deflated. “Well yeah. I owe Geuse a big time. Without her-”

Asclepias’s expression darkened. “I don’t imagine you would’ve gotten out alive.”

Pisacan’s brows raised. “Hmmm? Do I sense a change of heart regarding the evil nastiness of the orange witch?”

“… Please, Pisa, I have had long enough to think and reflect while I was in the oubliette. That is, when I was not being made to mount the chevalet.”

Pisacan looked shocked, and then she asked with genuine concern. “Holy Father Vinidius, d- did they neut-”

Asclepias almost yelled. “No! I am still a full stallion!”

Pisacan let out a relieved sigh. “Thank goodness. You know what, if I can’t birth a foal, then the next leader of the clan has to come from your nether.”

Asclepias rolled his eyes up. “… By our grand old dad’s beard, this is what you care about now?”

“What, I am your sister, and I am not into any aspect of your uccello other than its function.”

Pisacan huffed a dry laugh. “More so now that I can’t see.”

Asclepias could not help but facehoofed. After a pause, he said with a cautious voice. “I understand that you hate Sunset Shimmer with the heat of a thousand suns.”

Pisacan gritted her teeth. “That’s a given, isn’t it?”

The yellow mare’s brother weakly sighed. “I can only offer you an advice if you are to fight against her.”

“… What is it?”

“To fight against her, you must turn the immense support she enjoyed from the crystal ponies. But to do so, you must understand her appeal to them. Your hatred might cloud your judgment.”

Pisacan’s eyes twitched. “Don’t tell me, Clepy, that you’re trying to speak for her in a roundabout way…”

“Not at all, Pisa. Don’t be mired in your anger. She could only be summarily defeated if we keep our collective heads cool and calm. As somepony who’s been in her army, I know that the fervor ponies show for her is a thousand times more potent than King Sombra’s mind control helmet. We must defuse this… misguided love, and only then we can build resistance of our own.”

Pisacan looked somewhat shocked that her brother laid it out in the open so explicitly. He seemed to have made up his mind about fighting against his once leader. “Clepy, you…”

“I know what you’re thinking, Pisa. As I said, I’ve got a lot of time to think. Crystal Empire under King Sombra is like a giant prison, but Crystal Empire under Sunset Shimmer is like an intoxicating bubble of rabid nationalism. We all think that we’re doing the right thing for the Empire, and castigate those who say otherwise. It’s only by staying away of the bubble that I can shake off the rigid group-think.”

He then stressed. “That’s why I think it’s so important to carefully take apart what makes the ‘bubble’ so potent. What makes it so powerful that young ponies are willing to swarm towards enlisting points and throw themselves onto the merciless battlefield? Some Vinidis even put the country before their family, like me for a moment of time… Why is that the case?”

Pisacan stroked her chin. Instead of denouncing him or her clan, she merely said. “… If we can co-opt some of those fervor, it would certainly help us out a lot.”

Asclepias widened his eyes slightly, and then sheepishly grinned. “My sister is always the crafty type.”

“Hey, what do you mean?”

“The good kind of crafty, of course.”

Pisacan narrowed her eyes, and smiled. “At least you know how to say the right thing. I think we should leave further discussion for later, though.”

“Hm, why?”

“As I said, you’re tired and you need rest, Clepy.”

Asclepias touched his heavy eyelids, and slowly nodded. “Maybe you’re right…”

He let out a barely audible mutter. “Maybe going into soldiering is also a wrong decision. Maybe I’m better suited at flicking abacus than waging battles anyway… Maybe…”

Pisacan shook her head with an inscrutable look, and pulled the blanket over his chest. Asclepias let out another weak mutter, and after some gentle nudge and cooing from the mare, finally fell asleep.

The sister stood up slowly. Walking to the entrance of the tent, she listened quietly, as soldiers were streaming to finally prepare for departure. She could hear grains and haystacks promised by Lion Muzzle being transported onto carts, and commanders from every race were busy taking roll calls.

Shrugging helplessly, she stepped out into the crowd, readying herself to reorganize the transferred crystal ponies into something resembling a marching group alongside Cadance and Shining Armor as well.

Author's Note:

The stay in La Ville finally comes to an end. The next chapter will feature some interesting appearance.