• Published 7th Apr 2016
  • 3,909 Views, 81 Comments

A Day In The Hives - Shaded Changeling



Celestia wants to learn more about the Hives within Equestria, but since she has a country to run, the Hive Queens allow her student to spend a day within each Hive, and see a single day in the lives of a Queen.

  • ...
3
 81
 3,909

On Chasing Shadows

As the train pulled into Canterlot Station, there was a hustle and bustle that seemed almost practiced among the ponies present. Distant family members and friends holding crudely made signs to indicate who they were waiting for, the sound of luggage wheels and the train’s horn audible no matter where on the station you tried to stand. Among these bustling ponies, there was one that seemed to stand out; she had no luggage, no one waiting for her at the station, not even another pony to follow her off the bustling train. The earth pony simply stepped off the train, cast a glance over at the marble spires of Canterlot Castle, and began to walk through the crowd.

She walked through them with a form of liquid grace, bobbing and weaving between groups of ponies without ever slowing her pace. She glided through them as though the other ponies were not there, not casting a sideward glance at any of them and keeping her head looking straight ahead. She did not turn when a young foal ran up to hug her grandmother, she did not slow when a cart of luggage fell in her path; content to simply glide through the debris without casting a glance at them. She did not stop her near autonomous walk until she entered into Canterlot proper, taking a moment to simply stand and look at the city of white.

How long has it been since this city rose? She pondered, looking towards the oldest building of the city, the one which it had all been built around; The Castle of Celestia.

The earth pony stood for but a few more seconds before restarting her pace, taking to the marble streets with her expression blank.


“I fail to see how that is relevant to the defense’s case.” Just Sentence stated simply.

“You don’t believe that setting up a pattern of behavior is important in a case like this?” Grand Stand asked, exasperation clear in his voice.

Just Sentence rubbed her eyes. “I believe we would require more substantial information than simply reading off his favorite drinks at a bar.” She replied trying to hide the hint of annoyance she felt having to explain this to a veteran attorney. “Even if the Defendant could rattle off every mundane fact about their life, that does not mean they are who they proport to be.”

“It also gets us no closer to finding the real Mint Drop.” Hard Facts stated.

“Oh, come off it.” Grand Stand replied, annoyance getting the better of him as he pointed a hoof at Hard Facts. “You can’t honestly believe he managed to foalnap someone after the Invasion of Canterlot. Security was at an all-time high!”

“All I am saying is that’s what the evidence shows is possible.”

“He’s Seventy-Three!” Grand Stand shot back. “Only thing he’s foalnapping is arthritis.”

Just Sentence rubbed her forehead, the current conversation giving her a headache. A local Ice Cream store owner was found to be a Changeling from the Love Hive. Shortly after this reveal, the elderly Changeling came under scrutiny from the locals. A few going so far as to claim that the seventy-three year old Changeling had somehow kidnapped Mint Drop. It didn’t become Just Sentence’s problem until a group of Canterlot citizens filed a lawsuit against him.

Chrysalis warned you about this situation. Just Sentence let out an annoyed breath. Catching back into the argument as she did.

“-That’s why I say we bring in Queen Chrysalis to vouch for-”

Hard Facts snorted. “You’d have better luck getting Nightmare Moon to testify.”

“The public sentiment against Queen Chrysalis would only hurt your case.” Just Sentence replied. “It is not the Defense’s duty in this case to prove that Mr. Mint Drop is who he claims to be. It is the Prosecution’s job to show reasoning that he is not.” Just Sentence finished, ensuring that both Attorneys heard her.

“That can be rather difficult when you’re defending a shapeshifter.” Hard Facts replied. “Setting up who he is should be just as important to the Defense as proving that he isn’t to the Prosecution.”

“That would be the same as just calling him Guilty from the word Go!”

Here they go again… Just Sentence internally sighed as topic shifted, once again, back to the sentiment of ‘Proving who they are.’ This had become a regular sticking point for many of the Canterlot populace in regards to Changelings; an attempt to shift the conversation from proving they had committed a crime, to proving they hadn’t done so. The only thing that annoyed her more than the idea of this convention catching on, was the fact so many were readily willing to accept it.

As the two Attorneys began to argue back and forth regarding this same inane topic, the door to Just Sentence’s office opened up, causing both of them to stop dead before continuing.

“Judge Sentence,” called her secretary, “there is someone here to see you.”

“I thought I told you that I was not to be disturbed during meetings regarding cases like this.” Just Sentence said to her secretary, relishing the momentary calm that her presence brought to the room.

“I know, but the visitor was…” The mare paused as if searching for the correct way to phrase it looking back at the slightly open door, “persistent.”

Just Sentence raised an eyebrow at that exceptionally unhelpful information. “Tell whoever it is that I will be with them when this meeting is-” She paused as the door was opened a little more, giving her a glimpse at the mystery visitor. A blank faced yellow Earth Pony with a short white and black mane stood in the room, her pale yellow eyes staring directly at Just Sentence. As she looked at the pony, her eyes widened.

Just Sentence took a deep breath, exhaling it before turning to the two attorneys in front of her. “I must sincerely apologize but something urgent has just come up.” She stated, a bit faster than she probably should have. “We shall reconvene next week to discuss these proposals further. I expect more concrete offerings from both sides regarding this case.” Just Sentence picked up the documents on her desk and placed them into the case filing. The two attorneys both taking their own files and leaving the room.

Once the room was clear, the Earth Pony walked into the room. “Under no circumstance are you to allow anyone into this room.” She said to the secretary, who nodded. She then closed and locked the door behind her.

The Earth Pony walked up to Just Sentence’s Desk and took a seat across from her.

Just Sentence took a deep breath. “I didn’t expect you to be making a surprise personal visit.” She stated as she used her magic to pick up a glass of water she had sitting on her desk.

“I had a topic of extreme importance to discuss with both you and Celestia.” The pony replied in a monotone voice. “I believed it would be in my best interest to discuss it with you first.”

“Go on then.” Just Sentence replied as she began to take a drink from her water.

“Is what I hear accurate regarding your intention to reveal information regarding the Shadow Hive to Twilight Sparkle?” She asked bluntly.

Just Sentence immediately felt herself begin coughing as the water she had been drinking jumped down her windpipe in her surprise. She quickly dropped the glass as she began coughing the water onto the floor, not expecting this question to be given to her.

After a minute or two of coughing, she managed to compose herself as she looked up towards the Earth Pony sitting in front of her, no trace of concern or shock regarding the judges’ sudden coughing fit. Just Sentence took a breath before responding. “To put it simply, Apath. Yes, I am.”

“You have thought over the consequences of revealing this information to the general populace, I assume.” Apath said.

Just Sentence nodded. “I have been thinking about it for quite a while.” She began, leaning back in her chair slightly. “One of my main concerns lay with Twilight Sparkle herself. That mare has a mind with an insatiable appetite for knowledge. From what few reports I have received, she has already shown a great interest in the Shadow Drones we currently use and it is only a matter of time before she deduces the roles they have among our hives.”

Apath looked off in the distance for a moment, as if contemplating something, her expression remaining as unreadable as ever. “There is reason in your explanation, “Apath said after a few seconds. “My own Shadow Drones have reported as much regarding her proclivities.” She turned to look back at Just Sentence. “Before I can pass judgement upon your actions, Acari, I will need to know what information you were planning to provide Miss Sparkle.”

Acari let out a sigh, putting a hoof up to her head. “That… Is the source of much of my struggles regarding this topic, if I am to be honest.” She stated. “I did not wish to give her too much information regarding the current use of Shadow Drones, as that is certain to cause distrust among Pony-Changeling relations. However Miss Sparkle would not be satisfied with the simple knowledge of their existence. Doubtless you heard about Coded Whisper?”

Apath gave a small nod. “Coded Whisper is not happy with being the first Shadow Drone Miss Sparkle interacted with. Her report stated she ensured she did not reveal any information of importance.”

“That was never in question,” Acari replied confidently “The Shadow Drones are experts, after all.”

Apath gave a slow blink. “You believe that the interaction has only stoked Twilight Sparkle’s hunger for knowledge, yes?”

Acari let out a sigh. “Yes, I believe it has, yet that is not the primary reason I wish to reveal some information to her regarding the Shadow Hive itself.”

Apath looked off into the distance again. Acari couldn’t be sure what exactly Apath was thinking about, though if she had to guess, she assumed her superior was thinking over her response.

“The information that Twilight Sparkle gains from these little excursions of hers,” Apath began turning back to look directly at Acari. “Has Celestia discussed with you the full breadth of her plans with it?”

“Not aside from hushed words and incomplete plans.” Acari admitted taking a sip of her water, certain Apath wasn’t going to cause her to start choking again, “I believe she wishes to have the full picture before making any concrete plans in that regards.” Acari stated. “Though from my understanding she wishes to educate the populace regarding Changelings and their actions.”

“An admirable goal.” Apath began. “Transparency is an effective means of countering distrust and doubt regarding intentions.”

“You have your own doubts, I assume?” Acari deduced.

“There are many aspects of our history that would be better left kept in darkness, the largest being the roles of the Shadow Drones themselves. I cannot see the populace enjoying the existence of what could be seen as undetectable spies among them.”

Acari nodded as she took another drink from her glass. “That is one of the main reasons I am hesitant to show her anything regarding modern Shadow Drones. It is not as though they are used in the same capacity as they were in the past.”

“Nor could they.” Apath stated simply. “Back to the topic at hoof, were you planning to show Miss Sparkle anything regarding the modern Shadow Drones?”

Acari shook her head. “No, I was only thinking to show her a few of the historical pieces we have regarding the Shadow Hive. Though the options are few and far between.”

Apath let out a small breath. “Should you display anything regarding the Shadow Hive, it may be best to temper that information with more regarding the other Hives of the region.”

Acari paused for a moment putting down her glass. “Are you certain, Apath?” Acari asked with a hint of hesitation in her voice. “To say those Hives were brutal would be an understatement.”

“I can understand your trepidations regarding this option,” Apath replied, seeing the look on Acari’s face. “Despite that, I believe it would help in highlighting the difference between those ancient Hives and our current ones. Display that we are not mere brutes or parasites seeking to warm up to our hosts.”

Acari looked down at her hooves, uncertain. She began to think back to what catalogues her Hive maintained regarding those hives of the Fjords. “My only problem will be in finding the correct ones to display to her.”

Apath nodded. “I would very much like to see what information you intend to display to Miss Sparkle once you have made your decision, Acari. In the meantime I will need to discuss with the other High Queens about this plan of yours.” Apath stated emotionlessly, though Acari could feel a bit of distaste in the way the High Queen phrased that statement. “I have to make my way to the castle.” Apath stated, getting down from her chair. “Once I meet with the other High Queens, I shall inform you as to their decision.”

With little else necessary to say, Apath began to walk out of the office.

As Apath left the office, Acari let out a long sigh, she had been expecting Apath to speak with her regarding this topic, but hadn’t expected it to be a surprise meeting in her own office. She felt a sense of tension flow away as Apath left the room. Meeting with Apath was always a stressful event, her seeming inability to display emotions making deducing her meanings or thoughts more difficult than any other.

She was brought back to reality by her intercom lighting up and the voice of her secretary coming through. “Judge Sentence? Cold Case is here to speak with you regarding his investigation.”

Acari took a deep breath to compose herself before responding. “Yes. Yes. Let him in.”

The door to her office opened up as the Unicorn walked in, carrying a suitcase full of what Acari hoped wasn’t all legal documents. “Judge Sentence, I think I’ve narrowed down a few of these old cases.”

Just Sentence fixed her glasses and looked over at Cold Case. “I do hope you have more evidence than hunches this time.”


All things considered, it had been a rather slow day at Canterlot Castle. Many of the nobles were busy with their own private affairs, ranging from vacations out of town to the Pegasus Races. Unfortunately, that did not mean she was free of dealing with various complaints from the populace. Though luckily many of them simply sent letters, leaving her to read over them at her own pace.

Most of the letters she had received today were not a surprise. The discovery of a Changeling from Chrysalis’ hive having lived within the city for decades did not go over well with many of the nobles or those affected by the invasion. Celestia had personally seen Chrysalis speaking with the Changeling before he chose to reveal himself, Chrysalis had tried to talk him out of it several times, but ultimately her fatigue got the better of her, conceding to her subject.

Celestia let out a small sigh as she thought over Chrysalis’ current state. She was running herself ragged to try and round up various members of her Hive that had been injured after the Invasion, helping to orchestrate the repairs of various buildings and streets damaged all while trying to remove any rogue elements of her daughter from the hive. All the while she was subjected to harsh criticism by the Canterlot populace, who still held a harshly negative view of Changelings. Adding on to her stress as she felt she couldn’t leave the castle without getting attacked. It was no exaggeration to say she had not left the castle in weeks. Celestia wondered if she was going to have another Luna situation on her hands, but shook away the thought. Turning instead to the letter she was currently reading.

Dear Princess Celestia,

This is the first time I have ever written a letter to you but I feel it is something important. It is on the topic of Mint Drop…

Celestia let out a small sigh as she saw the familiar name appear in the letter.

I wanted to know if it would be possible to have a few guards watch over his property. I know it must be an unorthodox request, but I am worried that someone among the city might attempt to vandalize his store. Mint Drop has always been a friendly and welcoming pony. I understand that he has recently become open about being a Changeling and has been the subject of many rumors over the past few weeks. I am worried that somepony will seek revenge against him via destruction of his store. My son and I are regulars of his store and would hate to see such a friendly and caring pony harmed simply because of an event he played no part in.

I know that this is, perhaps, a selfish request, however I believe it will go a long way to helping display a commitment to opening relations with Changelings in general. The action would send a message to the other Canterlot residents that we are a welcoming city, and will not treat another harsher simply due to their species.

Sincerely,
High Crust, a concerned citizen.

Celestia smiled to herself a little while reading the letter, it was a rare thing to see letters sent to her like this. Many of them were vehemently anti-Changelings, though she always assumed it was merely a vocal minority, mostly the nobility and their fear of change of any kind. She thought over the proposal and decided it would be best to speak with Shining Armor regarding the Guard presence in the city and if any could be spared to overlook this situation until it resolved.

She folded the letter and placed it off to the side for later. Before she could open the next letter, the door to the throne room opened up as a Royal Guard walked in.

“Princess Celestia, you have somepony here seeking an audience.” The Guard announced.

Celestia smiled as she teleported the unopened letters away, making sure to keep the one she only just read close to her. “No reason to keep them waiting.” Celestia said with a smile. “Let them in.”

“Of course, Celestia.” The guard gave a small bow and walked back out of the room. When he returned with the visitor, Celestia’s smile faltered for a moment as she recognized the Earth Pony.

“It is good to see you again.” Celestia began jovially, as if greeting an old friend.

“Same to you, Celestia.” Apath replied. “I have an important matter to discuss with you.” She stated in the monotone pattern that Celestia had still not become accustomed to.

“Seeing as you are dropping by on a rather empty schedule, should I expect this to be a long discussion?”

“That fully depends upon you, Celestia.” Apath replied coming to a stop in front of Celestia’s throne. She turned to look at the door to the room, ensuring that it was closed before speaking. “I have spoken to the other High Queens regarding your proposal.”

Celestia nodded in acknowledgement. “Would you like some tea?”

Apath gave a nod. “Some tea would be appreciated.”

With a smile, Celestia’s horn lit up, conjuring a small table between the two of them, a tea set lay atop the immaculate white table cloth; two simple white chairs were placed on either side of the round table. Celestia stepped down from her throne to sit on one of the chairs while Apath took her place opposite her.

Celestia raised the teapot pouring two cups of tea and passing one to Apath. “Sugar?”

Apath shook her head. “Plain is fine.” She stated simply, raising the teacup to her lips. “Saddle Arabian leaves?” She asked, tasting the tea.

Celestia nodded. “Your taste buds are still immaculate.” She said with a smile. “I was given these leaves by the Saddle Arabian delegation during our last meeting. It makes for a good change of pace from many of the other teas I drink.”

Apath placed the cup in front of her. “Now, onto the topic of your proposal.”

Celestia let out a sigh. “Am I to understand that none of the other High Queens accepted the proposal?”

“Most of the Hives are skeptical as to the benefits that revealing themselves to the world would bring.” Apath stated simply. “I cannot say I blame them.” She said as she took a sip of tea.

“Who were in favor?” Celestia asked, wondering if she would even recognize some of the names.

“Viola of the Minotaur Republic, Aburi of the Griffin Kingdom, Nayra Sarnaqawi and Hartseer of Zebrica and Kapricia of YakYakistan.”

Celestia thought over the names, recognizing only one or two of them. “None from Saddle Arabia?”

“Qiama has not reported anything yet, though I am doubtful her hives will accept.” Apath stated simply.

“Should I assume they are all against revealing themselves for the same reason?” Celestia asked as Apath sipped her tea.

“The reason is likely not what you are expecting, Celestia.” Apath stated. “It is the vague nature of your request that holds up many of the Queens.”

“Oh, is that right?” Celestia asked for clarity.

“The information of Twilight Sparkle’s visits to the Hives has not gone unnoticed. News of it has already spread throughout the Changeling World, with many keeping their eyes on her progress.” Apath took another sip of her tea.

“If the other Hives are already aware of her visits, I am not sure what else I can do to convince them.” Celesia replied. “Do you have a suggestion?”

“Clarity” Apath replied. “Many of the Queens that have voiced their opinions regarding your request have stated that they are unsure of how this information will be used.” She explained. “The only way to get many of these queens to open up to this experiment of yours is to detail what your plans with the information are.”

Celestia let out a small sigh as she took another sip of tea. “They are afraid of retaliation from their respective nations?”

“Nothing quite as simple.” Apath replied. “Many hives gather emotion in secret, have wide spanning businesses or fear that their appearance or chosen emotion would not be taken well by the populace.”

Celestia nodded. “Avaratia being one of them?”

Apath nodded. “The Hive of Greed is wide-spanning and has deep ties to most nations; a full revelation of her Hive and it’s duties would result in disastrous consequences.” Apath took another sip of her tea. “The same goes for Evangeline.”

“In truth, I wasn’t sure any queens outside of Equestria would even agree.” Celestia replied, pouring Apath another cup of tea. “It is a bit of a surprise to see even those few hives accept the offer.”

“From what Erzelem tells me, Viola was the only one truly open to revealing herself. Though she has always been eccentric.” Apath said, giving Celestia a small thanks before sipping her tea.

“Have any of the Queens offered any form of compromise?” Celestia asked, hoping that she could address their worries in some way.

Apath shook her head. “I believe many of them are waiting to see how you handle the information provided to you regarding Equestrian Hives.” She replied. “You have been rather tight lipped regarding your plans with the information.”

Celestia let out a sigh. “Yes, I am still debating the best course of action with the information I would be given. Too much information would leave the Hives at risk, too little wouldn’t solve the major issues of mistrust and paranoia. While I largely doubt the average pony will mind Changelings, and if Ovi has taught me anything useful, her Hive is doing well with the revelation.”

Apath nodded. “The Lust Hive was always going to benefit from the loss of secrecy.”

“But others will not be so fortunate.” Celestia stated, receiving an understanding nod from Apath. “Chief among them being Chrysalis.”

Apath shook her head. “Chrysalis may receive the most immediate hostility, but relations will smooth themselves out once the scars begin to heal.” She stated. “Speaking of, where is she? I instructed her to assist you.”

Celestia looked out one of the tall windows, seeing the sun beginning to descend from its high peak. “She’s been working hard to locate any more wayward members of her Hive and round up any remaining supporters her daughter has.” Celestia sighed. “I’m worried she may be overworking herself. According to Luna, Chrysalis doesn’t fall asleep until nearly three in the morning.”

“Chrysalis is still hurt by Ceymi’s actions.” Apath stated taking a sip of tea. “She is trying to find any means of avoiding thinking of her.”

Celestia let out a sigh and sipped her tea. She knew the struggle that Chrysalis was going through. Though it was over one thousand years ago, Celestia remembers the struggles of the months after she had to banish Luna. Many nights she would simply spend staring up at the moon, hoping and praying she could hear her sister’s voice again.

Apath glanced up at Celestia’s eyes for a moment before lowering her gaze to the tea in front of her. “Thinking of Luna again?” She asked simply.

Celestia took a breath to clear her mind before replying. “Yes, I was.”

“Expected.” Apath stated with an uncaring tone. “You only get so saddened when you think of sealing her in the Moon.” Apath took another sip of her tea.

Celestia took a sip of her tea as well. Contemplating her limited knowledge of the changelings outside of Equestria itself. She had spoken with a few indirectly and even fewer in pony. Trying to gauge the best compromise with rulers she has never met or had extremely limited knowledge of would be a difficult task.

“My original plan for the information I was provided by Twilight would have been something admittedly simple.” Celestia replied, causing Apath to raise an eyebrow at her words. “I do not plan to uproot every secret of the Hives, nor breach the trust that they have in me. I believe the best means to handle the information is to simply make the differences in the Hives apparent.”

Apath put down her teacup and straightened her posture somewhat, listening to what Celestia had to say.

“I do not wish to reveal too much information about the Hives, so I believe for the time being a simple pamphlet would do for the larger populace; simply displaying the differences in the Hives’ appearances and duties they serve. Highlighting the similarities instead of the differences.” Celestia explained, her air of regal authority clear in how she spoke on the subject.

“And you believe that your subjects would be content with such information?” Apath questioned, knowing better than most the curiosity that follows the unknown.

“I believe it is a solid foundation.” Celestia replied. “As you should be well aware, Equestria is a welcoming nation and the ponies a welcoming species. Of course, there will always be exceptions, but they should be minor in voice.”

Apath nodded slightly in understanding. The ponies had always been welcoming to outsiders, it had been a great strength yet a critical weakness at several points in their history. “Am I correct to assume you will expand the breadth of knowledge on Changeling Hives over time?”

Celestia nodded. “I do not have the specifics worked out in full, but once Changelings become a more natural sight around Equestria, and perhaps the world, more information will be slowly uncovered regarding them.” Celestia said as she raised a teacup to her lips and finished off her cup of tea. “Of course it will be made clear that each Hive is to be treated as a sovereign nation; with its own laws and customs to follow.”

“In the long run you see the Hives opening themselves to the outside world?” Apath asked, slightly surprised by the optimistic view of her fellow ruler.

Celestia smiled. “It is an optimistic dream, I know. Though hope and optimism have helped me get through some of my toughest times in the past and I see no reason to think that we will burn the bridge of cooperation.” Celestia paused in thought for a moment. “Perhaps even your hive will be-”

Apath cut off Celestia before she finished. “The hive of Equestria’s High Queen will remain hidden.” Apath said seriously. “Even in the most optimistic of futures, our doors will remain locked.” She stated, the light tone in her voice enough to make Celestia feel a small chill.

Celestia gave Apath a warm smile, hoping to distill any tension caused. “As I said, it is merely my optimism. Though one day I do hope to see your Hive.”

Apath raised her cup. “If it ever comes to that, Equestria will be in worse trouble than you know.” She said before taking a sip of her tea.

Celestia waited for Apath to finish before speaking once again. “Would this be enough to convince a few additional Queens to join?”

Apath nodded. “A few will be pleased, though I believe many more will simply wait until the first wave of information is released regarding Changelings.” Apath paused for a moment. “Have you given thought about what to do in regards to King Zulu?”

Celestia looked at Apath in confusion, unsure how to respond at first to the question. “I thought you told me that King Zulu was dead?”

Apath nodded. “He is, his own Changelings confirmed this fact to us nearly one thousand years ago.”

“Then why bring him up?” Celestia questioned, uncertain of how King Zulu would factor into any of this.

“I would rather not like to repeat myself, so I will wait for Chrysalis to join us. It relates to something very personal to her.” Apath stated, the monotone voice adding a sense of seriousness to her words that Celestia was unable to decipher. “One of the reasons is due to Twilight Sparkle coming into contact with a Shadow Drone in her travels. I need not explain why this is a serious issue.”

Celestia looked surprised. “She met a Shadow Drone?”

Apath nodded. “It is rather possible that Twilight Sparkle will be given information regarding the Shadow Hive due to this. You are well aware of your student’s thirst for knowledge.”

Celestia smiled and nodded. Remembering how Twilight practically made the Library her home for a few days. She had to have a guard check through the corners of the Royal Library to make sure Twilight wasn’t attempting to sleep in the building.

“It is highly likely the information will pertain to King Zulu. If that is the case, I would like to know how you would handle it.” Apath stated simply.

“What is there really to say?” Celestia questioned. “If he is gone then there shouldn’t be anything worth recording for the commonpony regarding him.”

Apath took a long breath, seemingly thinking on Celestia’s answer. “A wise decision.” Apath replied. “Though I am hesitant to come to the same conclusion.”

Before Celestia could ask Apath what she meant by that, the door to the throne room opened. Celestia looked up to see Chrysalis walking into the room, her mane looked as though she had only just gotten out of bed with heavy bags visible under her eyes; she walked with an almost imperceptible wobble with her head hanging down slightly. As she entered the room she gave a long yawn. “Apologies…. Celestia,” Chrysalis began through her yawn, “I didn’t realize how late it was until I was already asleep.”

Celestia’s eyes flicked down to Apath, who had not turned to look at Chrysalis and was currently drinking more of her tea before looking back up at Chrysalis. “I am glad to see that you have decided to join us, Chrysalis, you’d usually be busy trying to locate other lost members of your Hive.”

Chrysalis sighed, the fatigue evident in her voice even before she spoke. “Some of them were knocked clear to other countries. Trying to get a hold of them is more difficult than I would like. Doesn’t help that several Queens are ignoring my calls.” She said as she reached where Apath and Celestia were sitting. Celestia was expecting Chrysalis to recognize Apath immediately, though she supposed Chrysalis didn’t realize it was her just yet.

Despite her fatigue, Chrysalis did notice the table and tea set, she looked over at Celestia. “Too hot outside or something?”

Celestia smiled slightly and then waved away the question. “No, nothing like that, I believed my guest would prefer to speak in a more private location.”

Chrysalis’ eyes casually moved to look at Apath, it took her a couple seconds to recognize who exactly the pony in front of her was. Once she did, Chrysalis’ eyes widened and she reacted as though she had been struck by lightning. The exhaustion and fatigue on her face quickly replaced with shock and fear as she jumped back a good few feett in surprise.

“APATH!” Chrysalis shouted as she leapt back.

“Chrysalis.” Apath responded blankly casting her eyes at the frightened Queen. The fear radiating off of Chrysalis likely alerted any Queens in Canterlot about her appearance.

“Wh-wh-what are you doing here, your majesty.” Chrysalis said, hastily bowing to Apath. “I- I apologize for not recognizing it was you.” She added quickly, hoping that Apath wasn’t there to hand out her punishment. “You see I’ve been preoccupied with-”

Apath held up her hoof to stop Chrysalis. “Celestia has already informed me of your activities.” Apath began, noticing a small smile crossing Celestia’s face at Chrysalis’ display, hidden by her drinking some of her tea. “I am not here to pass down additional punishment to you.”

Chrysalis let her heart stop pounding through her carapace before raising off the floor and takin a deep breath to calm herself down. “Th-then what are you here to do, Apath?”

Apath moved her hoof towards the table as another chair and teacup appeared in a flash of white, appearing on the side of the table closest to Chrysalis. “Please, sit.” Apath said casually, or as casually as she was able to.

Chrysalis still felt that the ‘request’ came out as an order. Swallowing she walked up to Celestia and Apath, taking the seat Apath had created for her. Celestia had already poured her a cup of tea and placed it in front of Chrysalis. Both Apath and Celestia allowed Chrysalis to drink the contents of the cup to help ease her nerves.

Once Chrysalis had put the now empty teacup down, Apath began explaining to Chrysalis her reason for coming.

After having downed another cup of tea during Apath’s explanation, Chrysalis felt far more relaxed knowing that Apath wasn’t there to render judgment on her. “I have to say I’m surprised you haven’t brought any of this up to me, Celestia.” Chrysalis said as she placed her third cup of tea down in front of her.

Celestia gave a warming smile to Chrysalis, seeing that the atmosphere had turned more casual since Chrysalis’ initial shock. “I never wanted to impose on you, Chrysalis.” Celestia explained, worry obvious in her voice. “You were always busy overseeing reconstruction or tracking down wayward members of your Hive. I felt it would have been cruel to push more work onto you.”

“While I appreciate that, I am here to help in any way I can.” Chrysalis replied, inwardly hoping Celestia didn’t try to push more work onto her.

“Seeing as the Love Hive were the hive primarily responsible for maintaining Changeling secrecy until only recently it stands to reason that she would be an excellent assistant in this matter.” Apath stated simply, drinking more of her tea as Celestia barely managed to contain her giggle at the odd role reversal Chrysalis had taken.

“Thanks for reminding me,” Chrysalis mumbled, still not happy that she had been responsible for Changeling secrecy being broken as it was.

“Which is exactly why you shall aid Celestia in planning out this project of her’s further.” Apath added.

Chrysalis’ posture suddenly turned rigid as she looked over at Apath. “You know I would never question your orders, Apath, but this is a big undertaking.”

“Indeed it is.” Apath said taking a sip of tea. “Having a leading member of the Changeling race as an ally in this endeavor would be beneficial. You can ensure that no sensitive information is leaked to the populace and perhaps it will aid in your public opinion.”

Chrysalis grumbled a little as her posture relaxed and her ears drooped down.

“I understand you are not thrilled about this, Chrysalis, but having a Queen’s seal of approval on the information would help ease some of the doubt the ponies have on this project.” Celestia spoke up. “Besides, there is still plenty of time before we need to worry about that particular project.”

At that moment Apath let out a melancholic sigh, perking up both of the leader’s ears at the uncharacteristic sound that came from Apath. They saw the High Queen staring off into the distance. “I agree with Celestia.” Apath stated. “There is something of much higher importance to prepare for.”

Both Celestia and Chrysalis looked back at each other, something that was bothering Apath this much was no small inconvenience. Apath was known to rarely, if ever display any signs of emotion, so even something as simple as a sigh was a sign that something was deeply troubling her.

“I have not been upfront with you, Celestia, and for that you have my apologies.” Apath gave a small bow to her fellow leader. “Both of you are no doubt aware of the events that transpired over one thousand years ago.”

Celestia nodded. “I was there for most of them, Apath.”

“Both of us?” Chrysalis repeated uncertainly, wracked her brain for a moment before her eyes widened considerably, as one of her hooves began shaking. “Apath, you-you don’t mean that place could actually reappear, do you?” Chrysalis asked, a wobble present in her voice as she asked the question.

Apath simply nodded. “I’m afraid so.” She looked over at Chrysalis, who was beginning to shake slightly, trying to keep herself reserved despite her own fears getting to her. “I fear that the Crystal Empire will reappear.”

Chrysalis picked up her tea cup with shaking hooves and downed the entire contents quickly in an attempt to stop her from shaking.

Celestia was the first of the two to speak up. “How can you be certain, Apath?”

“I have Changelings deployed throughout where the Empire once stood. They have recently been sending me back word of a mysterious black smoke appearing and moving throughout the tundra, as though searching for something.” Apath explained. “I have reason to believe it is Sombra regaining his strength. The Empire itself could return at any moment.”

Chrysalis let out a small whine as she put her head in her hooves. “This can’t be happening.” She mumbled to herself. Causing Celestia to reach over and pat Chrysalis on the back.

“We still have time to prepare, correct?” Celestia asked Apath.

“I have not heard of the Empire manifesting, even as a shadow; were I to give a rough estimate, perhaps we have a single month.” Apath looked over at Chrysalis, who was still sitting with her head in her hooves, staring blankly at the table. “I will not ask you to be present, Chrysalis. I know the Empire holds dark memories for you.”

“I never believed I’d have to think of that place again.” Chrysalis said with shaking breath. “When I heard it disappeared along with Sombra, a part of me was glad. I was hoping it was completely wiped off the map.” She took a shaking breath. Celestia pat Chrysalis on the back, trying to cheer up the Queen.

“Chrysalis, it will be fine, we have the Element-”

“So did my Mother.” Chrysalis interrupted, remorse evident in her voice. “I-I’m sorry.” She said getting up from her seat, eyes red. “I…I need to be alone.” Chrysalis stated before getting up and swiftly walking out of the room, her head hung lower than usual, trying her hardest not to think about the now ancient memories.

When she had left the room, Celestia let out a sigh. “I didn’t realize it would be so hard on her.” She said with a hint of worry in her voice.

“Neither did I.” Apath stated in her monotonous voice. “Old wounds do take the longest to mend.” She paused for a moment before continuing. “Regardless, preparations will need to be made for the Empire’s return.”

“I have a few plans already made.” Celestia confirmed. “After Luna and Discord I began to plan for the probability of other enemies of Equestria returning.” Apath nodded at Celestia. “What about you?”

Apath glanced up at Celestia for a moment. “My Hive is always ready to intervene should the situation become untenable.” She said taking a sip of her tea.

“So I shouldn’t factor your Hive into any of my future plans.” Celestia asked jokingly.

“If my Hive has to get involved, then the danger would be far more than to simply Equestria.” Apath replied stoically. “You should know my stance on my interference by now.”

Celestia sighed. “I know, you don’t like getting involved.”

Apath nodded. “I assume your plan involves the newlyweds?”

Celestia nodded. “Shining Armor’s barrier should be able to keep Sombra out for a few days if nothing else. Cadence is no slouch in power herself. I am certain the two will be able to hold off Sombra for at least a week or two.”

Apath nodded again, looking out towards the distance. Celestia believed she was looking over towards where the Crystal Empire once stood. “I assume you had no luck in locating the Crystal Heart when last you visited.”

Celestia shook her head. “We didn’t get much time to look for it, sadly.”

Apath let out a breath. “Regrettable. Though there is not much we can do in that regard.” Apath said as she began to get up off of her chair.

As she did, Celestia decided to ask her something. “Do you not have plans of deploying Changelings?”

Apath looked up at Celestia as her hooves hit the ground. “The Crystal Ponies never interacted with Changelings, and assuming you plan to have Cadence and Shining Armor create a barrier, a Changeling would only serve to be a danger to them or be at risk of getting knocked out of the Empire.” Apath explained saying it as though she had already contemplated the idea. “As stated previously, I will monitor the situation and intervene should the worst possible outcome occur.” She said as she began to walk towards the entrance to the room.

“And in that case, what exactly will you do?” Celestia asked.

Apath turned to look back at Celestia. “I will defend my nation” She stated as she continued to walk towards the exit. “Let us hope it does not come to that, Celestia. It could shatter what calm has settled in since the Invasion.”

Celestia watched as Apath walked to the exit, contemplating the words she had been given, and the warning that came with it. She let out a sigh as she too, stood up from her seat and called back to Apath. “I hope next time we meet will be on more casual terms, Apath.”

Apath stopped at the door and turned back to Celestia. “I would very much enjoy that.” Apath said. “Thank you for the tea, Celestia, give my thanks to the Merchant Hive when next you meet them.”

Celestia smiled at Apath. “That I will. Farewell, Apath.”

Apath opened the door with her hoof. “Until we next meet, Celestia.” She replied as she walked through the opened door. Her original plan was to simply head back to her Hive after meeting with Celestia. Her plans changed, however, with Chrysalis’ reaction. She turned to walk further into the castle, wishing to check on the Queen before returning.

As she walked through the familiar halls of the castle, she saw multiple Changelings, mostly Warriors, chatting with guards casually. Most did not notice her and those that did looked at her with confusion at the suddenly unreadable emotions of this unassuming pony.

When she reached the chamber that Chrysalis had been staying in, she noticed the Guards speaking with another Love Changeling. Choosing to keep her distance, she listened in to the conversation.

“I should be with her during this.” The Love changeling, a Caretaker, if Apath were to guess, said to the two guards.

“Sorry, Glitter,” one of the guards replied. “Queen’s orders, she doesn’t want to be disturbed right now.”

“It’s my job to be there for her in times like this!” Glitter exclaimed, stomping her hoof on the stone floor. “She’s been neglecting her health for days now and you expect me to just sit and watch?”

“Look there’s nothing we can do, Glitter.” The guard replied. “She ordered us not to let anyone in unless she said so.”

Glitter let out an annoyed groan. “She can’t just lock the door and not expect me to…” She let out a loud annoyed shout. “Just let me in.”

“No can do.” The other Guard said, putting his hoof out to stop Glitter. “Royal Orders.”

Glitter almost seemed to growl at that. “Well why in Tartarus not?”

The two Guard looked at each other before looking back at Glitter. “She was uh… Well she didn’t look too good.”

“Yeah she was practically crying when she walked into the room.”

“And she didn’t even look at us.”

“Yeah, like her mind was somewhere else.”

Glitter’s eyes widened. “Did she say anything else?” She asked worried.

The two guards thought about it for a moment before one of them spoke up. “She said she was heading to Celestia when she left the room.”

Glitter sighed. “Must be asking too much of her, honestly how much work does she think the Queen has to be piling more on her?” Glitter buzzed her wings as she took off from the ground. “I’m going to go talk to Celestia about this. You two tell me the instant she opens her door again.”

“Will do, Glitter.” The second guard said as Glitter flew down the hall.

Apath waited for Glitter to pass her before turning back and walking towards the castle entrance, she had seen enough and knew her presence would only serve to make the situation worse. With that, she turned and walked out of the castle.

Author's Note:

Kept you waiting, Huh?

First I'd just like to say that I am very sorry for the excessively long period of time between these latest two chapters :ajsleepy: In truth I had pushed much of this story and my others here to the back of my mind until about.... a month ago. At which point I thought: "Hey, this was a fun writing experience, I should get back into it."

Queue me re-reading old notes and documents from SEVEN YEARS AGO (Ouch) All about this wonderful world in an attempt to get my ass back in gear. I now am interested in continuing the story, so any of you who have been patiently waiting, (Thank you. :twilightsmile:) hopefully won't need to wait another 7 years for the next part.

I believed this little addition would help me get back into writing in this world, so it doesn't focus on Twilight's main journey. Though I felt it best to give you all something.

The next Chapter will be the continuation of Twilight's Journey into the Equestrian Hives. (Unless of course I get a lot of curious feedback regarding the Shadow Hive).

Comments ( 10 )

I love this story. And RL must always come first.

Holy kiwi, 7 years later, it has resurrected! Yay!

Nice seeing a update. You can PM me if you want to talk.

Celestia looked at Apath in confusion, unsure how to respond at first to the question. “I thought you told me that King Zulu was dead?”

Apath nodded. “He is, his own Changelings confirmed this fact to us nearly one thousand years ago.”

“Then why bring him up?” Celestia questioned, uncertain of how King Zulu would factor into any of this.

“I would rather not like to repeat myself, so I will wait for Chrysalis to join us. It relates to something very personal to her.” Apath stated, the monotone voice adding a sense of seriousness to her words that Celestia was unable to decipher. “One of the reasons is due to Twilight Sparkle coming into contact with a Shadow Drone in her travels. I need not explain why this is a serious issue.”

Celestia looked surprised. “She met a Shadow Drone?”

Celestia looked at Apath in confusion, unsure how to respond at first to the question. “I thought you told me that King Zulu was dead?”

Apath nodded. “He is, his own Changelings confirmed this fact to us nearly one thousand years ago.”

“Then why bring him up?” Celestia questioned, uncertain of how King Zulu would factor into any of this.

“I would rather not like to repeat myself, so I will wait for Chrysalis to join us. It relates to something very personal to her.” Apath stated, the monotone voice adding a sense of seriousness to her words that Celestia was unable to decipher. “One of the reasons is due to Twilight Sparkle coming into contact with a Shadow Drone in her travels. I need not explain why this is a serious issue.”

Celestia looked surprised. “She met a Shadow Drone?”

As you can probably see, you kinda repeated a small section here.

With that said, it's nice to see an update. :twilightsmile:

11674454
Thank you, Evidently they changed how the site imports documents since I last updated and I was trying out some stuff to make posting them quicker.
(I'd have to go to each paragraph and enter an additional space, I figured out something around that section)
Must have missed it. Thank you for catching it. :twilightsmile:

:pinkiecrazy: finally got around to reading the rest of this, awaiting more content

Holy cr*p, it lives?

Gotta reread the earlier chapters and the previous story, I'm so lost.

Welp, seems like Chryssie's dealing with everything juuuuuust fiiiiiiiine.

Huh, a high queen, eh?

Maybe this Celestia will put more thought into the whole Crystal Empire debacle than 'just throw Twilight at it and hope for the best'.

Glitter gonna bust a cap in since plot.

'Celestia let out a small sigh as she took another sip of tea. “They are afraid of retaliation from their respective nations?”

Celestia nodded. “Avaratia being one of them?”' - I'm pretty sure the second Celestia was supposed to be Apath.

'Celestia remembers the struggles' - remembered

'feett' - feet

11679137

'Celestia let out a small sigh as she took another sip of tea. “They are afraid of retaliation from their respective nations?”

Celestia nodded. “Avaratia being one of them?”' - I'm pretty sure the second Celestia was supposed to be Apath.

Actually seems I missed an entire line from Apath here. Whoops :twilightblush:

Wooo congratulations on the latest post. I'm so so crazily late to the party. I haven't checked FimFiction in a bitsie but so glad to see you pounced back in with another piece of written art.

Woooo!:rainbowdetermined2:

Login or register to comment